Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (53) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2015 3:01 AM

Dec 2011
Bernie Sanders!! It's the first time in a long time that I have hope for something good to come out of these elections. I'm still doing research about his proposals, but from what I know so far, his plans seem sustainable and workable. At the slightest sign of Americans being able to have free healthcare and an affordable college education, Conservatives always lose their minds and scream about how it will destroy America. But we need change. We need it badly. Also I was pleasantly surprised when I learned his introduction into politics was through the civil rights movement, and more amazingly, by attending the March on Washington. Wow.
Jul 3, 2015 10:18 AM

Dec 2014
Do you guys really think it matters who's president?
Jul 3, 2015 1:35 PM

Jan 2013
Bloodshade said:

Yes if its Bernie Sanders, he will actually try to do something.
I don't have a signature.
Jul 3, 2015 1:44 PM

Nov 2013
ixsetf said:
Bloodshade said:

Yes if its Bernie Sanders, he will actually try to do something.
Well, that's the point, you don't know that until they are elected and after that, you will see what they are really after.
Jul 3, 2015 1:53 PM

Oct 2014
Merlee said:
Bernie Sanders ftw
Jul 3, 2015 2:13 PM

Mar 2008
Bloodshade said:
Yes, although some other branches in the government it is important who is in them as well. The president does not have full power but they have some.
Jul 3, 2015 2:18 PM

Nov 2013
traed said:
Bloodshade said:
Yes, although some other branches in the government it is important who is in them as well. The president does not have full power but they have some.
I think he meant that they've all been bought by the oligarchy.
Jul 3, 2015 2:22 PM

Jan 2013
RyanEnsign said:
Well, that's the point, you don't know that until they are elected and after that, you will see what they are really after.

You are right that it is speculation whether they will do something or not, but so is saying that it won't matter. (Even more so because you can never directly compare what two candidates would do even after the fact)

However there are lots of things you can look at to make an informed prediction. As far as I'm aware Bernie has never flip flopped on an issue. He supports the positions he supports even when it isn't the dominant idea. He doesn't have financial backing from big business, he speaks rationally about issues, he is respectful of other politicians and has never made a personal attack on them. So I can guess pretty well that he is going to do what is right.
Jul 4, 2015 1:52 AM

Mar 2012
So how much does a modern society cost?

Bernie Sanders wants "free" college educations for everyone, "free" healthcare for everyone, and "free" god-knows-what-else.

If we're going to laud the man for promising us things, we should at least be willing to ask him how he expects to pay for those things.

TL:DR

Bernie Sanders is promising things he can't deliver and everyone needs to stop celebrating and start questioning.
Let's go bowling.
Jul 4, 2015 5:23 AM
Mar 2011
StopDropAndBowl said:
So how much does a modern society cost?

Bernie Sanders wants "free" college educations for everyone, "free" healthcare for everyone, and "free" god-knows-what-else.

If we're going to laud the man for promising us things, we should at least be willing to ask him how he expects to pay for those things.

TL:DR

Bernie Sanders is promising things he can't deliver and everyone needs to stop celebrating and start questioning.

uk for over 60 yers minus bad management from from the last two governments

govoment run health service works especially when a good minded left winger runs it soon as the right wing runs t it gets wrected

even the person who sold all nationalized assets the uk had never touched the NHS

that selling off as shown the bad ideals the right for the world o see id the once all conuaring uk motor industry jaguar Rolls Royce mini ect are now all non uk owned
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 4, 2015 5:37 PM

Mar 2008
Norway and Denmark has free college tuition. It works fine for them. Places like Finland have cheap healthcare. It works fine for them.
Jul 5, 2015 12:11 AM

Dec 2014
traed said:
Norway and Denmark has free college tuition. It works fine for them. Places like Finland have cheap healthcare. It works fine for them.

Are you aware of the population difference between those countries and America?

It would never work here.
Jul 5, 2015 12:51 AM

Jan 2013
I'm fine with any candidate as long as it isn't Hillary fucking Clinton.
Jul 5, 2015 1:07 AM

Jan 2015
Bloodshade said:
traed said:

You'd have to be more specific what you mean by "population difference". Btw Germany also has free college tuition, whether the health care is cheap probably depends on what one considers "cheap". I doubt that there is anything in a population that bars it from having a working universal health care system or free education.

Sanders has no chance anyway, Hillary will win the Democratic nomination. The GOP primary is much more interesting. At this point it's basically impossible to call. My money is on Jeb.
Jul 5, 2015 1:32 AM

Jan 2013
BVerfG said:
Bloodshade said:

You'd have to be more specific what you mean by "population difference". Btw Germany also has free college tuition, whether the health care is cheap probably depends on what one considers "cheap". I doubt that there is anything in a population that bars it from having a working universal health care system or free education.
Well Germany/Norway/Denmark is smaller, so the education system is much easier to maintain. There's less colleges in Germany/Norway/Denmark than there are in the US as well so again, much easier to fund and distribute.

Honestly, people should stop comparing the US with euro countries, there are too many factors that differentiate them.
Jul 5, 2015 3:26 AM
Mar 2011
OkayCaim said:
BVerfG said:

Well Germany/Norway/Denmark is smaller, so the education system is much easier to maintain. There's less colleges in Germany/Norway/Denmark than there are in the US as well so again, much easier to fund and distribute.

Honestly, people should stop comparing the US with euro countries, there are too many factors that differentiate them.

p;us there eduaction system is better tahn yours fact as shown by tthem international tests

aspowefull as the us is your eduaction system sucks
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jul 5, 2015 8:51 AM

Apr 2015
If I believed in a god, I'd be praying for Bernie Sanders to get the Dem. nomination

because honestly the only candidate worth voting for is Bernie.
Jul 5, 2015 9:02 AM

Jan 2013
Bloodshade said:
traed said:

The population difference would increase the total cost, but would proportionately decrease the percent of that cost bared by each citizen. I can't see how that would matter.
Jul 5, 2015 9:55 AM

Nov 2013
shotz_ said:
BVerfG said:
Sanders has no chance anyway, Hillary will win the Democratic nomination. The GOP primary is much more interesting. At this point it's basically impossible to call. My money is on Jeb.
the gop is only interesting in a pitiful way. these people are idiots even for republicans and the fact they're apparently the best the country has to offer--let alone that they get taken seriously--shows how fucked the us is. even worse than the 2012 candidates.
Rand Paul is a good candidate.
Jul 5, 2015 1:57 PM

Nov 2013
shotz_ said:
RyanEnsign said:
i somewhat like that his foreign policy compared to his peers. but honestly he's a faux libertarian compared to his dad or gary johnson. even then a lot of the appeal of libertarians is so upper-class millenials can vote for someone with neo-liberal economics and not feel stupid about voting for another social conservative.
It's true he isn't as good as Ron Paul, but between neoliberal economics and fiscal conservatism, it's still not a bad choice.
Jul 5, 2015 2:57 PM

Aug 2007
RyanEnsign said:
shotz_ said:
i somewhat like that his foreign policy compared to his peers. but honestly he's a faux libertarian compared to his dad or gary johnson. even then a lot of the appeal of libertarians is so upper-class millenials can vote for someone with neo-liberal economics and not feel stupid about voting for another social conservative.
It's true he isn't as good as Ron Paul, but between neoliberal economics and fiscal conservatism, it's still not a bad choice.

Seems his views on abortion are better than his father's though.
Jul 5, 2015 4:05 PM

Jan 2013
FGAU1912 said:

p;us there eduaction system is better tahn yours fact as shown by tthem international tests

Hmm... Really?

According to a study assembled by the UN, the U.S. ranks 5th in terms of education.

http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/education-index

PS: Your nippon oppression education only ranks 17.
Jul 5, 2015 7:48 PM

Mar 2008
OkayCaim said:

Okay then Canada which is right next to the US but has better healthcare than the US still. Their colleges are cheaper too if I remember right.
Jul 5, 2015 8:02 PM
Mar 2011
OkayCaim said:
FGAU1912 said:

Hmm... Really?

According to a study assembled by the UN, the U.S. ranks 5th in terms of education.

http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/education-index

PS: Your nippon oppression education only ranks 17.

look up them international test in seince and math

and teh un is a us puppet any way heace why the un is in new york and why the un dies not unilaterally reconzed the nation of Palestine

and Asian nations domiated the top ten with Japan 8th the only non asain nation in top 10 was germany the anglo nations got so badly abtter that the minster for school in the uk wanted the try the adpot Asain style schooling in the UK
DateYutakaJul 5, 2015 8:09 PM

Jul 5, 2015 8:17 PM

Dec 2013
Oh damn! I wish I was as smart as all of you guys here! Talking so intellectually about these policies and candidates! Oh my! I'm not smart enough to formulate my own opinion, so I'm just going to use this article to explain what I think about elections;

Articles
I am on the edge ! The edge of the edgiest edge ever edged by edgekind !
я умерте ужасну депрессии...

Jul 5, 2015 9:09 PM

Jan 2013
MorsPulchra said:
Oh damn! I wish I was as smart as all of you guys here! Talking so intellectually about these policies and candidates! Oh my! I'm not smart enough to formulate my own opinion, so I'm just going to use this article to explain what I think about elections;

Articles

I really don't get the people who think that voting has become meaningless. If people collectively decided to stop supporting mainstream political parties then they wouldn't be able to get into office.

Also note that Bernie Sanders is only running as a Democrat because that will get him better recognition, he is not a democrat really, so electing him president will most likely make an actual change.
Jul 5, 2015 9:23 PM

Nov 2013
Jul 5, 2015 9:54 PM

Mar 2008
ixsetf said:
MorsPulchra said:

Articles

I really don't get the people who think that voting has become meaningless. If people collectively decided to stop supporting mainstream political parties then they wouldn't be able to get into office.

Also note that Bernie Sanders is only running as a Democrat because that will get him better recognition, he is not a democrat really, so electing him president will most likely make an actual change.
Yes, its highly unlikely to win if youre not running democrat or republican. Last time the US had anything else was in the 1800s
Jul 5, 2015 10:01 PM
Jun 2015
RyanEnsign said:

Well I'm from Texas, I voted green party one year and Libertarian another and it didn't make a difference. I can either pick Republicans who dont represent my interest or Democrats who dont represent my interest. What happened to free healthcare Obama? or all the bankers who robbed generations of thier savings and walked away richer and more powerful than before the bailout?

The problem isn't citizens not voting, the problem is any politician we see is already bought and was given a chance for us to elect them by a LOT of money, and these financiers interest come before ours. The insurance companies made it into our 'Free' health care, and why? They are just a bunch of very useless, very rich middle men, rich being the key word.

I will never vote Democrat again, and maybe not republican, but it will not make a deference until the Lobbyist and campaign financiers are defeated and pushed out of the democratic process.

forgive me for the rant, this is why I stopped watching the news.
Jul 5, 2015 10:04 PM

Mar 2008
^
Well if you think about it, the more people who dont vote for the other parties the more who wont bother voting. The more who do the more who will. So basically coming close but losing is something that helps future elections.
Jul 5, 2015 10:09 PM

Jan 2013
MeteorBear said:
What happened to free healthcare Obama?

Do you know how many times the Republicans have tried to repeal the ACA? Do you really think he could have pulled off free healthcare with that much backlash to Obamacare? The problem isn't that he didn't try, its that congress wasn't going to let him do it. People seem to think that electing a president will change everything, but you need the co-operation of multiple branches of government.
Jul 5, 2015 10:54 PM
Jun 2015
ixsetf said:
MeteorBear said:
What happened to free healthcare Obama?

Do you know how many times the Republicans have tried to repeal the ACA? Do you really think he could have pulled off free healthcare with that much backlash to Obamacare? The problem isn't that he didn't try, its that congress wasn't going to let him do it. People seem to think that electing a president will change everything, but you need the co-operation of multiple branches of government.

I know, but letting the insurance companies in was not worth getting the bill through imo.
The heart of the bill, and the insurance companies knew it, was that any not-for-profit equivalent of insurance, run by the government, would destroy their business entirely because they would not be able to compete. This by itself would have also brought down the ludicrous prices for prescription drugs and hospital services.
Instead we, a supposedly free people, having to pay a for-profit company for services so we can get care from outrageously priced, for-profit hospitals weather we desire them or not.

I have to mention we did benefit in smaller ways regarding pre existing conditions and more government help for those in need.

I think I got off point, you are right, democrats and more so republicans, are partly to blame, but it was Obamas initiative and he is ultimately responsible in my eyes.
Jul 5, 2015 11:11 PM

Jan 2013
MeteorBear said:
I know, but letting the insurance companies in was not worth getting the bill through imo.
The heart of the bill, and the insurance companies knew it, was that any not-for-profit equivalent of insurance, run by the government, would destroy their business entirely because they would not be able to compete. This by itself would have also brought down the ludicrous prices for prescription drugs and hospital services.
Instead we, a supposedly free people, having to pay a for-profit company for services so we can get care from outrageously priced, for-profit hospitals weather we desire them or not.

I have to mention we did benefit in smaller ways regarding pre existing conditions and more government help for those in need.

I think I got off point, you are right, democrats and more so republicans, are partly to blame, but it was Obamas initiative and he is ultimately responsible in my eyes.

I don't understand why you would hold Obama as the one primarily responsible. As the author of the Affordable Care Act he is probably the one who has improved healthcare the most in the last 8 years. I understand that he didn't fulfill his promise, but it doesn't seem to me like it was due to incompetence or a lack of effort, but rather overwhelming opposition. I don't see how that would cause him to be more responsible than people who make undoing the progress we made as a primary goal.
Jul 6, 2015 12:47 AM

Jun 2015
ixsetf said:
MorsPulchra said:

Articles

You can definitely consider Bernie Sanders a democrat because he has always caucused with the Democratic party and proclaims himself a 'Democratic Socialist'.
Jul 6, 2015 3:20 AM

Mar 2012
FGAU1912 said:

traed said:

If we're going to compare different countries then you need to define the controls your putting in place to account for the differences in those countries. If we were to compare the US and Norway, for example, we would have to assume for the sake of argument that the rates of X in a small population are an accurate measure of X itself across all populations.

We would also have to assume that geography means nothing, that homogeneity of population means nothing, that cultural history/development means nothing, that specific countering laws and social governments mean nothing, that cultural/racial diversity means nothing, that the differences in social desires/needs in Oslo and Bergen are analogous to the differences between Las Angeles and New York.

"Well, X works in this other country, so it should work here!"

is not a good argument. It's statistically flawed (way too many assumptions and controls) and it's morally bankrupt. One-Size-All solutions are rarely good for anyone, because no one person is ever going to be perfectly "average". A solution designed for "everyone" usually means it's not designed for anyone in particular. If the Nordic model "works" (remains to be seen) then they are welcome to establish it. They are even welcome to export those ideas, but I think we, in America, should be somewhat wary of importing ideas from countries that have few similarities and even fewer global responsibilities.

You can argue that the solutions will work if only we just "try them out" but at the end of the day, you need to provide some numbers. Show us the simple mathematics of the plan. Ask Bernie Sanders, or any presidential candidate, to show you the actual data behind his promises, and watch his/her face turn blank. Ask them how many specific dollars their policy will save YOU and they won't have an answer, because there is no true answer. Universal Healthcare could be a Godsend for one person and a terror for a hundred more people.

I don't have any specific problem with Bernie Sanders. I have a problem with this nonsensical idea that any one candidate is "outside the mainstream" or will somehow "change the game".

STOP EXPECTING FLAWED POLITICIANS TO SAVE YOU!

Bernie Sanders might be a great guy. He might be honest and good and happy and upbeat and totally love everyone and everything. That does not mean he has the ability to shit happiness and rainbows, and it definitely doesn't mean that he has some magical power that can somehow ignore mathematics and provide free lunches for everyone. Good healthcare is fucking expensive, whether you live in Norway or the USA. Good educations are expensive.

You can either export the total cost onto the tax-payers (socialism), or you can let the private citizen provide as much of it for themselves as possible (American Capitalism).

What you cannot do is simply will it into being.

Presidents have been inching toward dictators for a long time now, in part because every President, Republican or Democrat, is expected to somehow be able to change people and society in such a way as to eliminate fundamental and uncomfortable realities. We forget sometimes that Presidents are simply people and they are just as flawed and messed up as everyone else. And furthermore, they are the heads of a very large, very broad, government, with huge branches that are completely out of their control; all of which is leading a massive country with a massive population, the vast majority of which are so far removed from the Federal government that it might as well be a myth to them.

Stop looking at Bernie Sanders as if he's some hero for saying things. Anyone can say things. Promising you free healthcare, and free education, and good jobs, and nice houses, and nice cars, and a world where the climate doesn't ever change or get shitty... promising these things is very simple. I can do it right now.

And yet, through the dozens of centuries of human governance, we have yet to see a single King or Emperor, Prime Minister or President, that can deliver on a single one of those promises.

Be wary of every politician, but be especially wary of the politician that tells you everything you want to hear. The first one is a liar, but the second is a thief.

MorsPulchra said:

Articles

The article seems to be putting forth the position that since their particular interests are not met, that the government itself must be irreparably broken.

A foolish and narcissistic opinion. No government could possibly ever serve the interest of every person, and that has never been their job or function. Governments exist as comprises between the various interest groups of a given society. The fact of a two-party system is unavoidable. Even your socialist European countries are generally divided between leftists and "conservatives". There might be some diversity in party name and function (the hardcore left, the environmental lobby, the pacifistic free-thinkers, etc.) but generally the myriad choices will come together under two opposing banners.

The hardocre leftist might want to build a factory or lay down a road for some specific social good, while the environmentalist might oppose the factory or road because of other social goods and costs; but they will both agree with the general proposition of more social welfare and more regulation. Their opponents, where they are allowed to exist, will follow the same pattern; smaller interests binding together freely to form larger coalitions of interests.

You don't like the system? Stop whining about it and form a PAC or some shit. Actually attempt to explore the avenues of social change available to you before you start complaining about how it's all useless and nothing will ever change.

Casting a vote is the minimum amount of civic activity. Your vote means nothing because all you do is vote. Go out and write some letters, interview some Congressmen or schedule a meeting withyour Mayor, go offer to do some free reporting for your local medias, volunteer on a campaign, organize a protest... there are ten million ways for you to affect real, positive change. If you don't do any of those things, then you can't expect to have any say in how things are done.

Show interest and interest will be shown in you.
StopDropAndBowlJul 6, 2015 3:38 AM
Let's go bowling.
Jul 6, 2015 3:52 AM

Mar 2008
^
Of course it would not be wise to not tune things to each owns country but that dos not mean something is not possible. It just means methods required are different and there may be needs for delays of when to do some things to smooth transitions.
Jul 6, 2015 4:13 AM

Dec 2011
MeteorBear said:
I will never vote Democrat again, and maybe not republican,

MeteorBear said:

Have you forgotten how Republicans in Congress threw a tantrum and shut down the government... because that was a thing. That happened. Obama, although president, doesn't have the authoritative power to do what he pleases. He needs approval. Republicans haven't let the poor guy do a thing without throwing a fit.
Jul 6, 2015 4:42 AM
Mar 2011
StopDropAndBowl said:
FGAU1912 said:

traed said:

If we're going to compare different countries then you need to define the controls your putting in place to account for the differences in those countries. If we were to compare the US and Norway, for example, we would have to assume for the sake of argument that the rates of X in a small population are an accurate measure of X itself across all populations.

We would also have to assume that geography means nothing, that homogeneity of population means nothing, that cultural history/development means nothing, that specific countering laws and social governments mean nothing, that cultural/racial diversity means nothing, that the differences in social desires/needs in Oslo and Bergen are analogous to the differences between Las Angeles and New York.

"Well, X works in this other country, so it should work here!"

is not a good argument. It's statistically flawed (way too many assumptions and controls) and it's morally bankrupt. One-Size-All solutions are rarely good for anyone, because no one person is ever going to be perfectly "average". A solution designed for "everyone" usually means it's not designed for anyone in particular. If the Nordic model "works" (remains to be seen) then they are welcome to establish it. They are even welcome to export those ideas, but I think we, in America, should be somewhat wary of importing ideas from countries that have few similarities and even fewer global responsibilities.

You can argue that the solutions will work if only we just "try them out" but at the end of the day, you need to provide some numbers. Show us the simple mathematics of the plan. Ask Bernie Sanders, or any presidential candidate, to show you the actual data behind his promises, and watch his/her face turn blank. Ask them how many specific dollars their policy will save YOU and they won't have an answer, because there is no true answer. Universal Healthcare could be a Godsend for one person and a terror for a hundred more people.

I don't have any specific problem with Bernie Sanders. I have a problem with this nonsensical idea that any one candidate is "outside the mainstream" or will somehow "change the game".

STOP EXPECTING FLAWED POLITICIANS TO SAVE YOU!

Bernie Sanders might be a great guy. He might be honest and good and happy and upbeat and totally love everyone and everything. That does not mean he has the ability to shit happiness and rainbows, and it definitely doesn't mean that he has some magical power that can somehow ignore mathematics and provide free lunches for everyone. Good healthcare is fucking expensive, whether you live in Norway or the USA. Good educations are expensive.

You can either export the total cost onto the tax-payers (socialism), or you can let the private citizen provide as much of it for themselves as possible (American Capitalism).

What you cannot do is simply will it into being.

Presidents have been inching toward dictators for a long time now, in part because every President, Republican or Democrat, is expected to somehow be able to change people and society in such a way as to eliminate fundamental and uncomfortable realities. We forget sometimes that Presidents are simply people and they are just as flawed and messed up as everyone else. And furthermore, they are the heads of a very large, very broad, government, with huge branches that are completely out of their control; all of which is leading a massive country with a massive population, the vast majority of which are so far removed from the Federal government that it might as well be a myth to them.

Stop looking at Bernie Sanders as if he's some hero for saying things. Anyone can say things. Promising you free healthcare, and free education, and good jobs, and nice houses, and nice cars, and a world where the climate doesn't ever change or get shitty... promising these things is very simple. I can do it right now.

And yet, through the dozens of centuries of human governance, we have yet to see a single King or Emperor, Prime Minister or President, that can deliver on a single one of those promises.

Be wary of every politician, but be especially wary of the politician that tells you everything you want to hear. The first one is a liar, but the second is a thief.

MorsPulchra said:

Articles

The article seems to be putting forth the position that since their particular interests are not met, that the government itself must be irreparably broken.

A foolish and narcissistic opinion. No government could possibly ever serve the interest of every person, and that has never been their job or function. Governments exist as comprises between the various interest groups of a given society. The fact of a two-party system is unavoidable. Even your socialist European countries are generally divided between leftists and "conservatives". There might be some diversity in party name and function (the hardcore left, the environmental lobby, the pacifistic free-thinkers, etc.) but generally the myriad choices will come together under two opposing banners.

The hardocre leftist might want to build a factory or lay down a road for some specific social good, while the environmentalist might oppose the factory or road because of other social goods and costs; but they will both agree with the general proposition of more social welfare and more regulation. Their opponents, where they are allowed to exist, will follow the same pattern; smaller interests binding together freely to form larger coalitions of interests.

You don't like the system? Stop whining about it and form a PAC or some shit. Actually attempt to explore the avenues of social change available to you before you start complaining about how it's all useless and nothing will ever change.

Casting a vote is the minimum amount of civic activity. Your vote means nothing because all you do is vote. Go out and write some letters, interview some Congressmen or schedule a meeting withyour Mayor, go offer to do some free reporting for your local medias, volunteer on a campaign, organize a protest... there are ten million ways for you to affect real, positive change. If you don't do any of those things, then you can't expect to have any say in how things are done.

Show interest and interest will be shown in you.

why did you quote me when you dd really aswer me

when the arch killer all things left wing thacterwas that in the uk she killed the unions and alot of other things

but she never touched teh UK NHS it was the Psudo left its self that almost kliied it it the blar brown era

the reason that an NHS style idea will nver work in the us is cause the right will never allow it to

Jul 6, 2015 7:51 AM

Jan 2013
FrancisUnderwood said:
You can definitely consider Bernie Sanders a democrat because he has always caucused with the Democratic party and proclaims himself a 'Democratic Socialist'.

Democratic Socialism is not what the Democrats do. He caucuses with them because there is no way to get anything done without the help of one of the parties, and the democrats have an ideology more similar to his than the Republicans do.
Jul 6, 2015 8:31 AM

Jun 2015
ixsetf said:
FrancisUnderwood said:

Democratic Socialism is not what the Democrats do. He caucuses with them because there is no way to get anything done without the help of one of the parties, and the democrats have an ideology more similar to his than the Republicans do.

Ooops, sorry about that. Should've probably done some research before posting that. Thanks for clearing that up.
Jul 6, 2015 8:03 PM

Mar 2012
FGAU1912 said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

when the arch killer all things left wing thacterwas that in the uk she killed the unions and alot of other things

but she never touched teh UK NHS it was the Psudo left its self that almost kliied it it the blar brown era

the reason that an NHS style idea will nver work in the us is cause the right will never allow it to

I did answer you: the right solutions for one country are not necessarily the right solutions for another country. Even more so when the first country is under the protective military/cultural wing of the other country, has a much smaller, more homogenous population, and is nowhere near the economic powerhouse of the other country.

The right-wing in Europe is so stunted and fractured (through fair and unfair political means) that there is literally no ability to affect the kinds of real change that need to occur. Do not celebrate Thatcher's inability to even attempt fundamental change, rather mourn the state of a country so far gone into leftist fantasy that they would die before giving up their welfare state (I.E. Greece)
Let's go bowling.
Jul 6, 2015 9:10 PM
Mar 2011
StopDropAndBowl said:
FGAU1912 said:

I did answer you: the right solutions for one country are not necessarily the right solutions for another country. Even more so when the first country is under the protective military/cultural wing of the other country, has a much smaller, more homogenous population, and is nowhere near the economic powerhouse of the other country.

The right-wing in Europe is so stunted and fractured (through fair and unfair political means) that there is literally no ability to affect the kinds of real change that need to occur. Do not celebrate Thatcher's inability to even attempt fundamental change, rather mourn the state of a country so far gone into leftist fantasy that they would die before giving up their welfare state (I.E. Greece)

she chnaged every thing to od iwth the left she"sold the family sliver" for example thus kill ling the uk manufacturing power

im sorry there a ringt wing govermemt in the uk now the 3 rd biggest eocmay in the eu and 5th/6th biggest in the world

im a member of the workers party here so i march with the with the workers every may 1st international labour day even toougth you hink id be right wing since i come from a rich family

but i care fir the workers osmtign that th right never will they care more for there fat bonuses of there donors rhater han the people who drive the nation along

but i guess your pro corporate personhood Hence why i think the us poioical system is the most broken in the world personal vote does not matter ie why i think sanders would bea good president sicne hes got no reason ot favor wall street and the big banks and corporate welfare over the 99% of the population

Jul 7, 2015 2:13 AM

Dec 2014
Decoys said:
Bloodshade said:

yes.....can you imagine the Palin's in the Whitehouse? it would be a disaster.

Nah it wouldn't be a disaster. I'd find it entertaining. At least we'd have a milf for president.

On other topics discussed.

Canada does not have a better healthcare system than the U.S. If they did then why are there plenty of Canadians going over the border into the U.S. to get treatments for certain diseases and to get certain surgeries done? Universal health care isn't always the answer. I'm sure when it comes to the U.S. the quality of healthcare would be reduced if turned universal, and there would of course be longer weights.

As for education, if this is ranked by standardized tests of course we lose out to other countries. Asian countries make kids grind these tests day in day out of course they are going to do better. It doesn't prove they are smarter all it proves is they know how to take a standardized tests. As always population makes a difference. On top of that American kids take things for granted and become lazy. This can be seen with Americanized Asians who are 2nd generation here.

Another thing to think about when it comes to election. Most Americans vote in federal government elections which includes the presidential elections. The truth is the federal government has less power over you than the state government. People should focus more on voting in local government elections, since those affect you more than the federal government. As for the presidential election I'm good as long as it isn't Hilary Clinton. Anyone but her.

I don't see myself voting in this election, because I don't give a shit. Although, if Hilary ends up being in the final I'll vote for her opponent. Not that it would matter, since my state always ends up being a blue state.
Jul 7, 2015 2:42 AM

Jan 2015
OkayCaim said:
BVerfG said:

For real?^^ Size difference is your point? Of course the US could fund it. It doesn't make any sense that just because the US has 4 times the population of Germany it couldn't fund universal health care or free education. It also has an economy that is 5 times as big. It doesn't want to do these things and you can find a political reason for that, obviously. But the idea that it can't is in no way credible imo.

shotz_ said:
RyanEnsign said:

Someone please tell me what is good about Rand Pauls Foreign Policy nowadays. He explicitly compared himself to Reagan and tried to bridge the gap between himself and the establishment of the GOP on the subject. In effect he has reneged on all his positions. And everyone who believes Foreign Policy under a president Rand Paul would be non-interventionist or anything like it, is kidding themselves. He already did a near 180 before the primary even started (!). What do you think he'll do once he's in the White House? (which ofc, will never happen)

Only thing I believe Paul is sincere about is sentencing reform. Maybe he won't spy as much on Americans as well. On everything else he is a crazy GOPer, anything but a "good candidate". Which ofc doesn't really matter, since he has exactly no chance of winning the primary.
Jul 7, 2015 2:49 AM
Mar 2011
Bloodshade said:
Decoys said:

yes.....can you imagine the Palin's in the Whitehouse? it would be a disaster.

Nah it wouldn't be a disaster. I'd find it entertaining. At least we'd have a milf for president.

Canada does not have a better healthcare system than the U.S. If they did then why are there plenty of Canadians going over the border into the U.S. to get treatments for certain diseases and to get certain surgeries done? Universal health care isn't always the answer. I'm sure when it comes to the U.S. the quality of healthcare would be reduced if turned universal, and there would of course be longer weights.

As for education, if this is ranked by standardized tests of course we lose out to other countries. Asian countries make kids grind these tests day in day out of course they are going to do better. It doesn't prove they are smarter all it proves is they know how to take a standardized tests. As always population makes a difference. On top of that American kids take things for granted and become lazy. This can be seen with Americanized Asians who are 2nd generation here.

Another thing to think about when it comes to election. Most Americans vote in federal government elections which includes the presidential elections. The truth is the federal government has less power over you than the state government. People should focus more on voting in local government elections, since those affect you more than the federal government. As for the presidential election I'm good as long as it isn't Hilary Clinton. Anyone but her.

I don't see myself voting in this election, because I don't give a shit. Although, if Hilary ends up being in the final I'll vote for her opponent. Not that it would matter, since my state always ends up being a blue state.

china beat you in the tests when them have 3 times the population i hate the fact they finshed above my home nation too but there you go

and no i never trust the un cause of its us bais on things exmaple its never called us on war crimes aor human rights abuses witch it has committed or haven backed he reagime that did it

Jul 7, 2015 3:02 AM

Dec 2014
BVerfG said:
OkayCaim said:

For real?^^ Size difference is your point? Of course the US could fund it. It doesn't make any sense that just because the US has 4 times the population of Germany it couldn't fund universal health care or free education. It also has an economy that is 5 times as big. It doesn't want to do these things and you can find a political reason for that, obviously. But the idea that it can't is in no way credible imo.

shotz_ said:

Someone please tell me what is good about Rand Pauls Foreign Policy nowadays. He explicitly compared himself to Reagan and tried to bridge the gap between himself and the establishment of the GOP on the subject. In effect he has reneged on all his positions. And everyone who believes Foreign Policy under a president Rand Paul would be non-interventionist or anything like it, is kidding themselves. He already did a near 180 before the primary even started (!). What do you think he'll do once he's in the White House? (which ofc, will never happen)

Only thing I believe Paul is sincere about is sentencing reform. Maybe he won't spy as much on Americans as well. On everything else he is a crazy GOPer, anything but a "good candidate". Which ofc doesn't really matter, since he has exactly no chance of winning the primary.

Size is one of the reasons, but there are other reasons as well. Our government is set up way too differently. It will never happen. Why should we follow European example? We aren't Europe, nor will we ever be Europe. There is plenty wrong with Europe, so I'm kind of irritated with everyone saying we should follow their example.

FGAU1912 said:
Bloodshade said:

china beat you in the tests when them have 3 times the population i hate the fact they finshed above my home nation too but there you go

and no i never trust the un cause of its us bais on things exmaple its never called us on war crimes aor human rights abuses witch it has committed or haven backed he reagime that did it

I don't really go by what the UN says. Nor do I really care about statistics, as it really proves nothing. America spends too much on education.

Here is an example: Why must we get new text books every year when the old ones are just fine. Its stupid.

We spend shit loads of money on Education way more than other countries. The problem isn't with funding, its with individuals.

Anyhow standardized tests aren't important, and they don't prove which country has a better educational system.
Jul 7, 2015 3:35 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Bloodshade said:

Don't read this in an attacking tone, but so you think better healthcare equates to getting certain diseases and surgeries done? That only means that the U.S. has better medical technology, and most likely skills, to do complex surgeries and for treating the more difficult diseases. However, anyone can tell you that the U.S. has terrible waiting time, and sometimes by the time you can even get an appointment to go to the doctors, you are already in a bad condition. And going to the ER sucks because of the high costs, and if you don't have the money (or work at a company with good health insurance plans), you won't have a good insurance which will help cover most of the cost. I've had personal experience with the terrible waiting time, and even just changing my PCP when I moved recently. So many hospitals and clinics didn't even want to take my health insurance or they just weren't accepting new patients.

Universal health care is not going to solve everything, that much is obvious, but it should at least decrease the high health care expenditure in the U.S., if more people have access to health care. It's about preventing the exacerbation of health problems, since many only go to the see the doctor only when the health problem(s) they are experiencing becomes really bad, and as you may know, that only costs more.

Anyways, I know this is off-topic, but I just wanted to point that out. Hopefully I didn't misunderstand your comment.
Jul 7, 2015 3:46 AM
Mar 2011
Bloodshade said:
BVerfG said:

Size is one of the reasons, but there are other reasons as well. Our government is set up way too differently. It will never happen. Why should we follow European example? We aren't Europe, nor will we ever be Europe. There is plenty wrong with Europe, so I'm kind of irritated with everyone saying we should follow their example.

FGAU1912 said:

I don't really go by what the UN says. Nor do I really care about statistics, as it really proves nothing. America spends too much on education.

Here is an example: Why must we get new text books every year when the old ones are just fine. Its stupid.

We spend shit loads of money on Education way more than other countries. The problem isn't with funding, its with individuals.

Anyhow standardized tests aren't important, and they don't prove which country has a better educational system.

then there is no way to judge cause you either had the un with its huge us bais ot the International tests

Jul 7, 2015 4:13 AM

Jan 2015
Bloodshade said:
BVerfG said:

Naturally there is plenty wrong with Europe (although Europe is kinda heterogeneous), there is plenty wrong with any country. But that doesn't mean you cannot take a look at how other countries do things and try to adapt them to yours. I'd love it if my country adapted some policies from other countries. We don't have gay marriage (yet) nor is pot legal. Some things cannot be adapted, because of political or economic reasons. E.g. you will never have gun control comparable to Germany in the US; neither will Germany ever have abortion laws as liberal as the US laws. Can't be done.

But that is simply not true for "free" education or universal health care. At least it isn't true for "size reasons". That truly makes no sense to me. There is the political reason that the current GOP won't go for it, but neither the GOP controlling Congress and many of the state legislatures nor their political positions are set in stone.

I don't think it likely that the US will become Europe or like Europe (whatever that means anyway, Europe isn't a monolithic body, just like [actually even more so] someone in Maine has different laws to deal with than someone in Texas, a German citizen is confronted with different laws, a different political and economic reality than someone in France or Denmark), nor would I necessarily want them to. But that's not a reasoned argument against anything. Just because some other entity does it, doesn't make it bad or good. There is room for evaluating every single policy proposed and then judge it on its merits and not on "Europe does it, therefore we won't" or "the US does it, therefore we will too"

Edit: this is btw way OT by now^^ Not sure if that's such a good thing
Jul 7, 2015 11:33 AM

Mar 2012
FGAU1912 said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

Look, my UK History is a bit shady, and to continue this discussion would be going a little off-topic, so lets save arguments over the Thatcher administration for another time. Criticisms of the NHS were never really a major point of my argument anyway:

but i care fir the workers osmtign that th right never will they care more for there fat bonuses of there donors rhater han the people who drive the nation along

but i guess your pro corporate personhood Hence why i think the us poioical system is the most broken in the world personal vote does not matter ie why i think sanders would bea good president sicne hes got no reason ot favor wall street and the big banks and corporate welfare over the 99% of the population

I care for the workers inasmuch as I care for everyone. I do not despise the rich man or the poor man, and I recognize that both are capable of the same greed and the same charity, the same sloth and the same industriousness.

Of course I am pro-corporate personhood. It's a way of simplifying business taxation and it's also a way of protecting workers, consumers, managers, and investors. Arguments about corporate personhood status should be held entirely dispassionately. You're talking about business tax-codes and legal culpability statutes.... STOP PRETENDING THIS SHIT IS INTERESTING! I really don't want to have to go drag out my dad's old Law text-books and sift through the general economic data for the 19th-century just so I can have a discussion with someone who doesn't understand the basis of what we're talking about.

sanders would bea good president sicne hes got no reason ot favor wall street and the big banks and corporate welfare over the 99% of the population

Bernie Sanders doesn't represent 99% of the population. For one, he's wealthier than most of that 99%, has FAR better pensions/health-care/access to essential goods, has more and better security, has more and better personal connections, and even has a pulpit upon which he can get free, national media-time for his personal use.

Let's say he's not in the pocket of the Wall Street bankers, how does that somehow make him a good candidate for the Presidency? I could see you saying that it should be a minimum requirement, fine, but if we're going to celebrate a public official for not taking bribes then we've set our expectations way too low.
Let's go bowling.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (53) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.