Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2015 4:48 PM

Jun 2011
Kerozinn said:
Flawfinder said:

I wouldn't mind if they were the girls from Black Lagoon or something. But in anime-land, "all-female" tends to equal "little girls" and I very rarely find them to be interesting to watch.

the black lagoon girls part is maybe not the best example and it was obvious people would put it against your argument but i wont watch this show for the same reason. Its always cute little girls..bores me out of mind most of the time.

You're still just as bad for resorting to generalizations like "cute girls=boring."
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Apr 7, 2015 4:48 PM

Dec 2014
I'm honestly really excited for this series.
The art and animation are really stunning. Plus there is finally a band anime that focuses on more than just guitars, drums, and vocals.
I'm really glad they added Hazuki because she asks all the questions non-band kids ask.
Plus all the girls are really cute.
I have high hopes for this.
I'm really excited, hooray for concert bands!
Apr 7, 2015 4:53 PM
Apr 2013
That felt like watching Glasslip. Slow, slow, slow, with unlikable characters on top of it and a forgettable OP and ED.

I was wondering why the MC's personality was so insufferable, but my friend described her as having the personality of a "male Kyoani protagonist but female" and that's extremely accurate. What an annoying buzzkill.

Low expectations for this show.
Apr 7, 2015 4:56 PM

Jun 2011
MrsKujo said:
That felt like watching Glasslip. Slow, slow, slow, with unlikable characters on top of it and a forgettable OP and ED.

I was wondering why the MC's personality was so insufferable, but my friend described her as having the personality of a "male Kyoani protagonist but female" and that's extremely accurate. What an annoying buzzkill.

This. guy.

If it only took this much to annoy you, how do you function dealing with people in real life, let alone anime?
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Apr 7, 2015 4:59 PM

Jul 2014
So why does Sapphire (blue) want to be called Midori (green) anyway? Shouldn't it be Ao? Or is that considered a male name.

MrsKujo said:
I was wondering why the MC's personality was so insufferable, but my friend described her as having the personality of a "male Kyoani protagonist but female"

They're obviously setting her up for a progression in character. She's actually very believable considering her state at the moment, think about it, last semester didn't end well and she spent summer vacation ruminating.
I didn't like her either at first (still don't) but I respect that they're making her authentic to her situation.

Now if she doesn't brighten up, THEN make a mountain out of the molehill.

I just hope they don't tack a gimmick or quirk onto her like most KyoAni female characters tend to have.
Apr 7, 2015 5:09 PM
Jan 2015
did anyone ales try to vibrate their mouth at the ending haha
Apr 7, 2015 5:11 PM

Nov 2014
The animation was lovely, as expected of KyoAni. I'm not really sure where the plot is going (are they going to try and make the band a national level band??)... Also, why is the brunette girl so worried about talking to her classmate from junior high? I wonder if there's going to be any love plot? I feel like it'd almost be more refreshing having no love plot and pure slice of life I guess (well, I guess even slice of life typically has minor love plots). So, I wonder how they're going to spice this up a bit more. The first episode was a wee bit on the boring side. I hope the second episode will be more interesting. I do have fairly high hopes for this anime, just because Kyoto Animation is doing the animating... I hope they don't let me down.
Apr 7, 2015 5:41 PM

Apr 2014
I give this one a go because it is very close to K-On (or it's just like K-On)
Turns out it's to my liking.
Don't really watch music anime, but this is good.
Looking forward to next episode.
Apr 7, 2015 5:45 PM

Jan 2013
I liked that a lot more than I thought I would.
Asuka's personality is a bit interesting.
Apr 7, 2015 5:47 PM

Jul 2014
Apr 7, 2015 5:52 PM

Aug 2007
I quite enjoyed how it looked visually.

I'm expecting a "cute girls do cute things" type show, but you never know. And it's not like I don't like those; either way I'll probably end up watching this.
Apr 7, 2015 5:52 PM

Jul 2011
Moe-tastic with great characters. I love Asuka already, she's so fun.
I love the MC too, nice contrast she provides to the cast. She's still moe, but more skeptical, pessimistic, and relatable. She's quite normal, with a normal relationship with her sister and even having a bit of an image change like the rest of the girls for HS (rolling up the skirt + tying hair). She replaces the male lead nicely, though the lack of male characters in the cast is strange considering it's the school band and a co-ed school.

Childhood friend troupe showed itself nicely. Their relationship is nice, more natural than TamakoxMochizou for sure. I like his personality already. Had to laugh a bit when they were recalling an event from the junior high, gave both of them a bit of characterization.

Judging by the pacing, it's either 2 cour or a 1 cour with simple plot. I was expecting something SoL with a touch of music like K-on, but looks like it will be a bit more immersive than that. So far I'm really loving it all, and I hope it keeps up the momentum.
Apr 7, 2015 5:57 PM
Apr 2013
Ahegyao said:
MrsKujo said:

This. guy.

If it only took this much to annoy you, how do you function dealing with people in real life, let alone anime?

By existing in a perpetual state of annoyance.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoApr 7, 2015 6:01 PM
Apr 7, 2015 6:02 PM

Mar 2012
Holy wow, this show brings back some nostalgic experiences for me back when I played in Concert Band and Jazz Band in Junior High. :O

Wasn't sure what to expect coming into this series, but I enjoyed first episode. I think I may have a special spot for this series just because of the nostalgia from when I used to play the trumpet back then. I even played "Orpheus in the Underworld Overture" too like Kumiko did. That was simply uncanny for me. @.@

Glad they did end up explaining the "dud gold." Makes sense now why Reina was not happy at the beginning.

Anyway, woot for Reina playing the trumpet! ^^
Apr 7, 2015 6:07 PM
May 2014
Red_Tuesday said:

Any way you could tone it down to under 4mb?
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Apr 7, 2015 6:18 PM

Sep 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
FUCKING LOL'D
Apr 7, 2015 6:23 PM

Jan 2011
honestly think they made their visuals even better now lol other than that so far seems pretty typical was interested in how KyoAni would do another music related show to early to judge but i hope this turns out good,

quite a bit of characters (Asuka best girl) unless 90% of band members don't get any screen time
Apr 7, 2015 6:31 PM

Aug 2014
KyoAni really outdid themselves and I am reeled into this anime. Super fun looking and interesting.

Art is looking really good. Camera angles are a bit off but other than that, flow and detail is very nice. Music is also a major aspect... (obviously) Got into that right away, Nice.

5/5 Let's go!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2015 6:32 PM

Jul 2014
kikohunter said:
Red_Tuesday said:
snip

Any way you could tone it down to under 4mb?

Sure: http://s3.postimg.org/ba5zhmewh/mindexplode_Sm.gif
Apr 7, 2015 6:33 PM

Oct 2012
Red_Tuesday said:

This is great.
Apr 7, 2015 6:35 PM

Apr 2012
Okay start I guess...
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Apr 7, 2015 6:35 PM
Nov 2013
The animation is beautiful as expected of KyoAni. I also like that this show may have an emphasis on the music this time around. Kumiko kind of reminds me Oreki from Hyouka (although I don't know why)

Loved it, I think this will end up being an excellent show.
Apr 7, 2015 6:46 PM

Jun 2013
Cute start to my most anticipated anime of the spring season :)
Apr 7, 2015 6:56 PM

Aug 2014
Novangel said:
rsc-pl said:

Lol, which status? Shigatsu was just an (very) average show (in any aspect, especially music part.
And I don't know why you are comparing comedy and drama shows.
If you want compare this show with something, it should be K-On

I've already had this argument, but regardless of what you think of Shigatsu, your comment about the music aspect is completely incorrect. It had a wealth of beautiful classical pieces. It would be idiotic to call pieces by Chopin or Debussy 'average'. You clearly have absolutely no idea about music at all.

Anyway. Seems like a nice relaxing anime. Not really looking for much more. I don't mind comfy anime.

This man is comparing this show to Shigatsu . Im done.
Apr 7, 2015 6:59 PM

Dec 2013
Decent start. As usual, the animation looks beautiful.
Kumiko looks cuter with her in a ponytail~ and Sapphire is 2moe4me.
The OP and ED are nice but forgettable.
Hopefully there's some romance in this :D
Red_Tuesday said:
[img]http://gifyu.com/images/mindexplode.gif[/ img]

Amazing.
Apr 7, 2015 6:59 PM

Aug 2012
4th best anime this season. KyoAni doing work; great visuals and pretty cool main character!~

Apr 7, 2015 7:11 PM

Dec 2010
Its K-ON! all over again but with a more serious plot... the characters are soooo cute XD love kumiko and her ponytail
Apr 7, 2015 7:19 PM
Jun 2014
first like min i throught this was K-on. end of ep very K-on still i like it. Looking forward to more Kyo-Ani
Apr 7, 2015 7:19 PM
Apr 2013
I still think their skirt are too long.
Apr 7, 2015 7:21 PM

Aug 2008
CloudStrifeFFVII said:
4th best anime this season. KyoAni doing work; great visuals and pretty cool main character!~
What are the other 3 that could possibly top this?
Apr 7, 2015 7:28 PM

Aug 2013

Overall it's a good first episode.
loli_a_ravioliApr 7, 2015 7:34 PM
Apr 7, 2015 7:32 PM
Jan 2015
I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit. I'll be interested in seeing where the plot goes from here, since there's obvious potential for huge amounts of interpersonal drama, in particular between the trumpet virtuoso and any of Kumiko, Katou or the band representative girl.

Should prove interesting.
Apr 7, 2015 7:37 PM

Aug 2008
I actually don't have a big problem with KyoAni, ok, Amagi Brilliant Park was bad.

This series is pretty charming relaxing SoL. The male character being so close with the female lead made me happy, I can ship a couple again!
Apr 7, 2015 7:45 PM

Oct 2012
Pretty good start, nothing exciting but likeable character and beautiful animation, 7/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2015 7:48 PM

Mar 2013
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise KyoAni

There is literally no way this could possibly not be amazing.
Apr 7, 2015 7:54 PM

May 2011
A good first episode in my opinion. Definitely different from K-on, especially with the music component looking to play a much more important role in the story.
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to give out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Apr 7, 2015 8:13 PM

Jun 2014
cute start! hopefully this pans out to something pretty. and NOT pretty boring!
Apr 7, 2015 8:28 PM

Oct 2011
An orchestra band series : 0

I hope they go to nationals.
Apr 7, 2015 8:29 PM

Oct 2014
Hoping for a romance
Apr 7, 2015 8:32 PM

Feb 2014
Not much to say about this first episode, except that it have the same vibe of what KyoAni have been doing. Part of me is excited because its about music and orchestral group but on the other side I get the feeling it will just be another aimless SOL like K-On and Tamako Market.
Apr 7, 2015 9:06 PM

Nov 2007
KyoAni girls are best girls.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 7, 2015 9:25 PM

Jan 2011
Wonderful first episode. Everything I expected it to be.

KyoAni doing what they do best, SoL with great animation direction.
Apr 7, 2015 10:12 PM

Nov 2011
I didn't expect much but it was pretty interesting. The art is nice. I don't know much about music so learning it through anime is a nice experience.

Asuka is the best girl.

Apr 7, 2015 10:21 PM

Sep 2008
Halfway through the ep I said to myself "this is going to be the best anime of the season". Well we'll see. The animation is first rate as expected from KyoAni.
Apr 7, 2015 11:36 PM

Jul 2013
Oooh KyoAni is going back to its roots!

After several seasons of sub standard anime (I hate Chuuni s2 and Amagi was boring) they decided to tap on that K-On power even going as far as having Mugi as a senpai (her voice was so sweetly familiar and turns out it was Minako).

That being said this is obviously gonna be different than K-On since the atmosphere is much less hyperactive and seems like there'll be more focus on the actual music.

Art and animation are great!
Apr 8, 2015 12:12 AM

Oct 2013
That was an alright episode and kept me interested for most of the part. As always the art is great because of the studio.

And why did she not kept that ponytail? She looked good in it.
Apr 8, 2015 12:28 AM

Sep 2013
Yeah, it's definitely not K-On!, wasn't sure what to expect at first. MC is legit, I don't really know why I like her; ALL the other characters though... will take some time to get used to. (And seriously, who would plan to bring a detachable hand to band club practice in the vain hope that it could be useful?)

Apr 8, 2015 12:49 AM

Nov 2011
I'll admit, pretty good start even though i wasn't expecting much of it, nothing was overall fascinating but the dialogue was good and it was paced well.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 8, 2015 1:14 AM
Jun 2007
Red_Tuesday said:
So why does Sapphire (blue) want to be called Midori (green) anyway? Shouldn't it be Ao? Or is that considered a male name.

Her name is not written in katakata, but in kanji. The kanjis are 緑輝, and as you could guess - you don't read it as sapphire (Actually, I think it doesn't mean sapphire, but "shining/sparkling green")
Anyway, the first kanji of the two is "midori" (green).
Apr 8, 2015 1:18 AM

Jan 2013
It was okay I guess, blond dude at the park is so far my favorite.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

454 by Max98 »»
Apr 29, 2:06 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

395 by filoshi »»
Apr 27, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.