Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 27, 2015 8:46 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode felt a bit slow but we do get to see Laura this episode..

Ema is also taking on a more active role again alongside Alfonso and Leon. As I may have expected, the Horrors gets even more hideous this episode with that snake like beast. Loved the way the violence was depicted though. I thought that was neat to illustrate how grim this series can be at times. This hunt for Mendoza has a lot of thrills!
Stark700Feb 27, 2015 9:34 AM
Feb 27, 2015 10:04 AM

Jul 2010
So Leon really did it!

Learning a lot more about Octavia and how she was abandoned, it makes sense how much she values Mendoza. When Octavia was wired, that was a pretty intense scene how everything could been ruined. Showing her affection for Laura to end up like that, what she says about even giving up her life is true to the furthest extent.

To be completely off radar by getting the horror to attack herself. Really makes me wonder what Mendoza is up to.

Didn't expect Leon vs Herman, but I'm down!
Feb 27, 2015 10:21 AM

Jul 2014
Some interesting things thrown around this episode, particularly Octavia's past, but I still can't understand how they're so quick to stop being suspicious of Octavia. It seems a bit off. I'm interested in finding out whta Mendoza's up to now, but it sure sounds like it's nothing good. And it seems odd that he seems to have aged about 40 years since we last saw him.

Also, German really is a terrible father. The fight between him and Leon should be interesting though.
Feb 27, 2015 10:36 AM

Apr 2014
Damn! So That Mendoza was confirmed alive. And being hidden by Octavia!
Octavia's childhood back story was quite sad but I don't care about her! I wish she also dies in a horrible way!
Shit Another cute girl died! Well at least she just had brief screen time. I don't care too much.
And what the hell was going on? Herman will fight his own son Leon, Emma and Alfonso?
Can't wait to know what will happen in the next episode next week!
Haters always gonna hate.
Feb 27, 2015 11:07 AM

Oct 2009
I still don't understand why Herman has decided to fight Leon....I hope it will be explained on the next episode.
Feb 27, 2015 11:14 AM

Feb 2012
LOLOLOL How was Ema? That was hilarious.
Octavia...wtf was that. I mean she played everything perfectly to get suspicion off her but I'm really surprised she just sacrificed her sister like that. Pretty good episode overall.
Feb 27, 2015 12:05 PM
Sep 2014
wow leon and Herman gonna fight next episode. What madness! I can't believe Herman will go to great lengths to protect Mendoza after Mendoza killed his wife. Well story is picking up. Things are getting hot now
Feb 27, 2015 12:36 PM

Oct 2013
What a piece of shit of dad lol. I hate that Herman and Octavia too
Feb 27, 2015 12:49 PM
Nov 2013
"How was Ema?" Alfonso is lewd and he doesn't even know it lmao.

This episode felt a lot slower (until the second half) and it was amazing. Mendoza looks a lot dofferent, and it looks like there will be no way to change Octavia's mind in her devotion to him. What she did to Laura was super fucked up but I guess it had to happen.
Feb 27, 2015 12:50 PM

Nov 2009
So instead of Leon as an antagonist in the second half, we'll have Herman filling that role? Kinda... not exciting at all. Boring, even. Oh well, I suspected it started going downhill when we had the ep with golden knight craftsmen wannabes, now it's only confirmed. I'm still on board though because dropping a show 4 eps before its end is bad taste.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Feb 27, 2015 12:59 PM

Jun 2014
Octavia is disgusting
Feb 27, 2015 1:17 PM

Nov 2013
LiquidGold said:
Octavia...wtf was that. I mean she played everything perfectly to get suspicion off her but I'm really surprised she just sacrificed her sister like that. Pretty good episode overall.

I don't think it was her sister, she just looked similar. I think her sister was killed by horrors.

Good episode, it was interesting seeing Octavia's past. Mendoza reeeally aged, kinda weird :/ And i still want to know why Herman decided to be the villain...

Feb 27, 2015 1:38 PM
Jul 2018
It was interesting to see Octavia's past.

I can't believe Octavia sacrifice Laura.
Feb 27, 2015 1:55 PM

Aug 2010
Alfonso asking "How was Ema?" and Leon's flustered reaction was lol XD

Mendoza is a friggin old man now :O

Damn! The way Octavia's family was killed by the wolves was brutal as hell! And so was Laura's death O_o

What a way for her to clear suspicion away from herself though. It amazes me how far she's willing to go.

Still wondering what the hell Herman's up to??
Feb 27, 2015 2:05 PM

Jun 2014
Holy Shit Octivia. You a scary bitch.
So we now know that any cute girls on the show will be killed. it's just how Garo does things.
But she killed that girl who reminded her so much of her sister, AND took off her own leg for mendoza. What the fuck is he up to?
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Feb 27, 2015 2:25 PM

Sep 2013
Not a bad episode, though I had some issues...

The cinematography was pretty good, great use of shadows and I loved the Horror design. Like a weird Parasitic Hydra.

I found Laura very annoying, Octavia's sister was also annoying. Idunno, something about the voice acting and the way she spoke, stuttering like some blushing school girl. It didn't really fit the tone at all...

With that said though, I don't appreciate it when a show tries to shock me into caring about a character. Instead of letting me get to know Laura, she is just introduced to be "cute", then die a horrific death. Sure she was used as a way of introducing Octavia's backdrop but Laura wasn't really needed, they could have just shown her backdrop as it was and it would be enough for me to go, "Ah, she follows Mendoza because he wanted to help her but she hates the Makai Knights and everyone else for not protecting her family". Laura wasn't really needed. I didn't really care about her family since I barely knew them but it was good at setting up why she follows Mendoza in the first place. However, it seems like they once again, glossed over an interesting theme in a backdrop, this time being blind-faith and faith-healing/saving. Disappointing.

However, I did like the clever way Octavia threw off the crew's suspicion, having the horror attack her as well in order to make it seem like she is a victim of horrors instead of using them. Well played on that one and it shows her determination well when she's willing to sacrifice her leg.

The way Leon treats Ema now is pretty hilarious. Though I thought the reason she found him attractive was because he was more mature now... He's not exactly acting mature anymore now that he's protecting her like some silly white knight, though it does go along with the theme of protecting someone, I guess that's what they are going for. Doesn't bother me but it's pretty silly.

I am wondering why German doesn't just tell them what is going on... You'd think if German trusted Mendoza enough to protect him and help him, it would be something the others would agree with as well. Interested to see what it is they are doing.

Decent episode I suppose.
KetenFeb 27, 2015 2:35 PM
Feb 27, 2015 2:47 PM

Aug 2012
Damn Octavia has balls.

Lara, Laura...nice girl ships for our MC's just don't stand a chance in this world.

Keten said:

I found Laura very annoying, Octavia's sister was also annoying. Idunno, something about the voice acting and the way she spoke, stuttering like some blushing school girl. It didn't really fit the tone at all...

With that said though, I don't appreciate it when a show tries to shock me into caring about a character. Instead of letting me get to know Laura, she is just introduced to be "cute", then die a horrific death. Sure she was used as a way of introducing Octavia's backdrop but Laura wasn't really needed, they could have just shown her backdrop as it was and it would be enough for me to go, "Ah, she follows Mendoza because he wanted to help her but she hates the Makai Knights and everyone else for not protecting her family". Laura wasn't really needed. I didn't really care about her family since I barely knew them but it was good at setting up why she follows Mendoza in the first place. However, it seems like they once again, glossed over an interesting theme in a backdrop, this time being blind-faith and faith-healing/saving. Disappointing.

However, I did like the clever way Octavia threw off the crew's suspicion, having the horror attack her as well in order to make it seem like she is a victim of horrors instead of using them. Well played on that one and it shows her determination well when she's willing to sacrifice her leg.
Yeah Laura was a pretty obvious plot device character, in which case I don't think we were supposed to care about her. I think that loose characterization as a typical clumsy girl was hinting that she wasn't going to be important. More importantly, I think the way she was characterized and used was for the purpose of conveying just how cunning/determined Octavia is, since she took advantage of her personality to make her the most effective scapegoat.
Feb 27, 2015 2:56 PM

Sep 2013
AlexTheRiot said:
Yeah Laura was a pretty obvious plot device character, in which case I don't think we were supposed to care about her. I think that loose characterization as a typical clumsy girl was hinting that she wasn't going to be important. More importantly, I think the way she was characterized and used was for the purpose of conveying just how cunning/determined Octavia is, since she took advantage of her personality to make her the most effective scapegoat.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I just wish they didn't gloss over Octavia's backdrop. It could have been an interesting episode to focus on but I guess they didn't have any time left for it. Oh well.
Feb 27, 2015 3:51 PM

Jan 2013
Don't ship anyone, the girl is most likely gonna die. < that's what I get from this episode.
Feb 27, 2015 7:35 PM

Jul 2011
r0ykun said:
"How was Ema?" Alfonso is lewd and he doesn't even know it lmao.

That was hilarious.

Tohka_Yatogami said:
It was interesting to see Octavia's past.

I can't believe Octavia sacrifice Laura.

She's a totally fucked up character.

Shaniyaz said:
Herman vs. Leon should be an epic fight next week. Why don't they try to talk it out first though?

To make it more interesting. I can't wait for the next episode!
Feb 27, 2015 9:17 PM

Aug 2013
Episode full of feelings, another innocent dies to give even more drama to the plot, this time it was Laura who looked to like of Alfonso, as well as Lara looked to like Leon, to like the protagonists results in death, still not me conform with the death of Lara

A battle between Leon and his father approaches, since the beginning of the story do not really like German, I hope Leon finish him ..
Feb 28, 2015 12:53 AM

Feb 2014
L3gEnDaRy said:
Octavia is disgusting
Feb 28, 2015 1:58 AM

Oct 2013
First Lara, then Luciano, now Laura! It's creepy how all their names start with the letter L. Did anyone notice?

This is getting ridiculous, they're starting to kill off characters we just met. Alfonso x Laura could've been the beginning of something wonderful!

I wish they focused more on Octavia's background, though. She has some amazing stalker skills.

Herman and Leon fighting the next episode. I think we all know where this is going....
Feb 28, 2015 2:33 AM

Jul 2007
Keten said:

The way Leon treats Ema now is pretty hilarious. Though I thought the reason she found him attractive was because he was more mature now... He's not exactly acting mature anymore now that he's protecting her like some silly white knight, though it does go along with the theme of protecting someone, I guess that's what they are going for. Doesn't bother me but it's pretty silly.

I doubt it is something to do with maturity. I see it more as manifestation of his fears because of what happened to the last person who got close to him. So now he is over-compensating.

I am guessing it is something he will have to face up to in future.

AliceInOtakuland said:
First Lara, then Luciano, now Laura! It's creepy how all their names start with the letter L. Did anyone notice?

You know who else starts with L?

Leon.

Leon dying confirmed?
Feb 28, 2015 4:30 AM

Dec 2012
It was a build up episode, not bad. I am really curious how Mendoza's arc(if it's even an arc) will be concluded. I smell a rushed conclusion.

Keten said:

Spot on. Laura was really unnecessary. She was there just for a shock value, a really cheap one at that. Well, I was not that surprised how Laura was used since Garo has always been like that sometimes.
I like anime.
Feb 28, 2015 4:57 AM

Jul 2011
CookingPriest said:
AliceInOtakuland said:

Leon.

Leon dying confirmed?

b-b-but t-there is a movie and a second season
Feb 28, 2015 5:03 AM

Jul 2007
ainky said:
CookingPriest said:

Leon.

Leon dying confirmed?

b-b-but t-there is a movie and a second season

His name is not in the show title too.
Feb 28, 2015 5:34 AM

May 2014
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode felt a bit slow but we do get to see Laura this episode..

Ema is also taking on a more active role again alongside Alfonso and Leon. As I may have expected, the Horrors gets even more hideous this episode with that snake like beast. Loved the way the violence was depicted though. I thought that was neat to illustrate how grim this series can be at times. This hunt for Mendoza has a lot of thrills!

How that Horror ate Laura. Hhaah, even better than Mortal Combat. That's what I call fatality. :P
Feb 28, 2015 5:39 AM

May 2014
What I loved about this ep. were how violent it was. Usually it's never to this level. Especially when the horror ate Laura's upper body and all the blood splitt out. And after that ate Octavia's left leg (I think). Because that's how reality is, when you legg is cut or ate for that matter.

Unlike One Piece when Rebecca's father got his leg cut off, there weren't a single drop of blood. I understand that OP is for more younger kids, but still, I think even kids at a age 12-14 understand and know what blood is and how it looks. True it doesn't need to be extreme as it were here, but still I were expecting some blood.

What I didn't like is that it felt little too slow paced. I mean we have only 4 ep, so it isn't much to go on. But I loved the cliffhanger at the ending. Can't wait German-san and Leon fight. This is gonna be epic. xD
Feb 28, 2015 6:29 AM

May 2014
LiquidGold said:

but that wasn't her sister, I think. Or was that really her sister?? Because Octaivia said that Laura reminded her of a person, so I think that wasn't her.
Feb 28, 2015 7:17 AM

Jul 2010
Oh shit Octavia is really that loca to get the suspicion out from her, I hope they found her out before the end of this first season.

Leon Vs herman, wtf is going on?
yeo
Feb 28, 2015 8:09 AM

May 2013
"How was Ema?" Damn that cracked me up. LOL! I'll admit, I didn't expect Laura to die just like that. Octavia will do anything to protect Mendoza and her reputation.
Leon vs Herman next episode.
Feb 28, 2015 8:39 AM

Jul 2011
Typical completely brainwashed girl.

>sacrifices own sister to clear all suspicion
>blames Makai Knights
>still worships Mendoooooza the guy who gave her the summoning thing
>logic
Feb 28, 2015 9:01 AM
Apr 2014
Hmm interesting way to save yourself. Who would've thought she sacrifices her leg like that.
Feb 28, 2015 4:18 PM

Aug 2013
Zaruba is such a troll. "Let me answer in his place!" LMAO

I could tell pretty much from the beginning of the episode that Laura wouldn't survive until the credits, but I still kind of hoped she would.

What I can't understand is why Herman can't just explain what he's up to...
Feb 28, 2015 9:01 PM

Jul 2013
So Laura was simply a plot device? Well, got more info about Octavia. I still don´t get that last scene. Now she blames the makai knights for Laura when she killed her? Hypocrite, but there is a bit more depth to the character.

The rest was pretty good as always and that cliffhanger...

Epic Father vs Son ?)

Hopefully, we will get more on Herman´s side because his actions do not make much sense.
Mar 1, 2015 1:31 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
CookingPriest said:

AliceInOtakuland said:

Leon.

Leon dying confirmed?

Oh shiet.

Yes Octavia, the Makai Knights killed Laura and took away your leg too. Completely ignores the fact that she ordered her Horror to attack her again under the assumption that the Makai Knights will save her. And they did. Should've just let her die :P

Really interested in how things will go down in the next episode. I also really want to know what Herman is up to or he knows that we don't know.
Mar 2, 2015 8:40 AM

Dec 2012
NOOO Octavia I want kill you ! This scene with the wire was intense. I hope a good fight for the next.
Mar 2, 2015 4:29 PM
Jan 2012
i don't like of final this episode.
Mar 2, 2015 4:36 PM

Feb 2014
Primeval said:
Typical completely brainwashed girl.

>sacrifices own sister to clear all suspicion
>blames Makai Knights
>still worships Mendoooooza the guy who gave her the summoning thing
>logic

It wasn't her sister.
Mar 3, 2015 1:48 PM

Mar 2008
"Leon, how was Ema?"

Greatness.
>Ecchi na no wa ikenai to omoimasu!<
Mar 3, 2015 9:26 PM

Oct 2008
Very Sly Lady Octavia...and DAMN! Laura just killed-off and consumed by a monster that was summoned by Octa...
Mendoza really alive and still plotting some more events!
Looks like shit will go down with Herman and Leon!

Mar 4, 2015 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
Episode whose only flaw the marked decline in the quality of the drawings, really ugly.
For the rest of the narrative works well and there are moments engaging, finally Octavia also takes an active role.
She does not deny its reputation for bad person, coming as well to make a really brutal action; all events are still the right joint, and carry out the plot very well, I can not complain.
The ending leaves much perplexed, who knows the reason for that attitude by Herman?
Mar 4, 2015 8:30 AM

May 2014
mangalicker94 said:
LiquidGold said:

but that wasn't her sister, I think. Or was that really her sister?? Because Octaivia said that Laura reminded her of a person, so I think that wasn't her.

In the flashbacks, Octavia's entire family was killed by wolves. Her sister has been dead a long time.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Mar 4, 2015 10:56 AM

Sep 2013
Using Laura as a scapegoat was actually a smart move on Octavia's part! I originally thought that device was used to turn her into a Horror, but I'm glad they used this route.
Mar 13, 2015 12:38 AM

Dec 2012
Wow damn, I hate Octavia for killing off the cute maid, but love her for how cunning and calculated she can be. I'm actually glad Mendoza is back considering how interesting he was as a villain to begin with. I wonder what caused him to age, maybe his powers weakened? This is really shaping up to be a great one and I'm sure as hell glad there's a second season to come.
Mar 25, 2015 6:46 PM
Jun 2013
Herman popping up out of nowhere ready to fight was a bit random imo, but so was him trying to protect Mendoza so...whatever. Cool episode. First half was kinda eh, but it definitely picked up in the second. I actually like Ema and Leon as a couple, it's different. I loved Lara but Leon has grown since her death and Ema has grown since the death of her Luciano so they fit well imo. I hope to see more interaction in the future.

Wouldn't mind if Herman died. Never really like him much...
Apr 1, 2015 11:45 AM

Jul 2012
Eh the ending of the episode had a pretty good cliffhanger. Octavia is damn dedicated, you gotta appreciate that in a gurl. :P
Apr 5, 2015 5:26 PM

Dec 2008
What the hell happened to Mendoza?! He looks like he's 100 years old now!

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 23, 2015 2:09 PM
May 2013

I'm sure he will be safe since he failed to kill himself in episode 12 or 13. He failed to die there so he will live ... right ?
Old_Ironhead said:
"Leon, how was Ema?"

Greatness.
Best line ever . Still lmao
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

65 by macabongx »»
Nov 8, 2023 4:02 PM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2015

204 by Inexplicable »»
Oct 4, 2022 3:50 PM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2014

169 by Inexplicable »»
Oct 3, 2022 3:40 PM

» 2nd half is a lot better than first

Barry_Allen_14 - Aug 16, 2021

2 by Scythe97 »»
Sep 30, 2022 3:52 AM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

89 by Creepyarea »»
Sep 17, 2022 1:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.