Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 12, 2015 9:46 AM

Jun 2013
Hmmmmmmmm, well that was interesting to say the least :)
Jan 12, 2015 10:01 AM

Oct 2014
Massive Kill la Kill and Amagi-ish vibes! Quite like the ED, it's cute.

Other than that was a good start in my opinion. Very colourful, which always looks pleasant visually for the most part.

Was a hell of a lot better than I was expecting. Looking forward to more!
Jan 12, 2015 10:06 AM

Mar 2013
I have no idea on what going on with the story since i get so distract
by all this colors, but i still like it.
6/10 for now :)

felt like watching the japenese anime version of powerpuff girls.
Jan 12, 2015 10:30 AM

Jun 2013
AaaaaaKun said:

The exposition at the start is expected when you have a premise that is so surreal and out of the ordinary, to me is just storytelling 101, giving viewers some information about the universe of the story and setting up the tone, laying down the foundation for expectation, you don't get credited when you are just doing the basic.

They SHOULD be credited for just doing the basic because that basic information was more than enough to figure out what kind of world this show is taking place in:

After the Great Japan War, Japan was split into ten or so prefectures, each with its own unique culture. But selfishness and exclusivity started to cause feuds and fights for territories among the prefectures, so “vigilantes,” or otherwise known as “best”s came down to Earth to help settle diplomatic relations between the prefectures.

The show can’t get any more straightforward than that, especially on the first episode. If you wanted them to go into specifics, that’s for future episodes, but the explanation cannot go more in-depth than this, or else it feels like too much of an info dump.

AaaaaaKun said:
Just count how many technical terms they throw at you after the stand down of the two fractions till the end of the episode, if you know your story is going to have tons of them you may want to spread them thin and give each of them a proper time to flesh out. Of cause they will keep reappearing and maybe get more explanation in the following episodes, but still jamming too much detail and content in just the first episode is a huge mood killer for most viewers who just want to get into the story without constantly asking questions in their heads.

Like I said, a Japanese show isn’t going to explain to the Japanese audience the geography of Japan. The stand down mostly consisted of an argument between borders of the various regions of Japan, something that is not expected of Westerners to know about. Westerners are not the target audience for this show, so Japanese people probably understood all the Japanese geography terms being thrown left and right. Those aren’t “technical” terms, they’re common sense for the Japanese audience.

Besides that, the orange-haired girl who sticks by Shigyou (Otonashi) mentioned the Twin Towers Declaration, but we can pretty much ignore what the “Twin Towers” part means because she clearly explains what the declaration is for: to settle disputes between prefectures. The Twin Towers Declaration was also implied by the protagonist’s mom (the dango shop lady) to be the reason that there is currently peace between the prefectures.

There were no other new “technical” terms after the stand down. Maybe terms like trainees, captains, and president, but those were very much straightforward. In other words, the show didn’t try to jam a lot of details in this first episode, when there weren’t that many to start with.

AaaaaaKun said:
I think that is the fault of the production team for putting too much distraction on the screen if you need to rewatch it just to familiarize with the basic elements of the story, yes the animation is good and the soundtrack is also nice but most of time the emotional connection just isn't there, viewers can't care about the story and the characters because they are constantly distracted by the fast-paced action and colorful background, they don't know how to react emotionally to whatever happening on the screen but appreciate the production value, in other words, style over substance. And that's why I call this show "Made by animators, only for animators" or even outright pretentious for focusing too much effort on making the show look good rather than being accessible to the viewers.

No sorry, I realized the exposition at the beginning was just straight-up narration, without any other distractions. I just needed to reread the subs twice before I understood it because sometimes the subs go by quickly or the translations are sort of rough. Having said that, it’s my fault that I didn’t understand the first time and not the show’s animation or background song.

Why talk about emotional connection in just the first episode? Why criticize it being style over substance in just the first episode? I find it puzzling that an AIRING show would purposefully try to be pretentious when they’re trying to make this show for a general audience (stuff like Me!Me!Me! is made by animators, only for animators). If that’s the sort of impression it had on you, then I can’t say anything because that was your first impression. But I didn’t see this as anything more than the typical show that tries not to spoonfeed its audience all the background info, but tries to do it in indirect ways. Why are you so displeased that the show is assuming that the audience is actually intelligent enough to figure everything out on their own? Or do you prefer anime that you can watch while having turned off your brain? Not trying to insult you, but you are criticizing a show for being pretentious, when really it just happens to take on a different style of storytelling.

AaaaaaKun said:
It's not just a complain, I'm also criticizing the direction they are going for base on my understanding of the information perceived before the airing and the first episode. I just think the show would have been much better if the production team has more self-constraint, but seems like it's going to be the likes of Kyousou Giga and Uchouten Kazoku, three is a pattern, and a new sub-genre may just got born.

Well I guess you’re just not a fan of those types of anime. I personally loved Kyousougiga because it challenged me to figure stuff out on my own instead of having the show explain everything word by word. Kyousougiga is a show that could have been 20 episodes long with its explanations, but they somehow miraculously compacted into 10. Those are the sort of shows that make me proud to be an anime watcher, not shows like Highschool DXD or some other ecchi, harem, or moe shows. If you’re lowering yourself to look at anime from a general audience’s perspective that’s fine. But as long as you yourself understood the show after a closer look, then I can’t understand why you would criticize the show for its storytelling aspect.
Jan 12, 2015 10:31 AM

Nov 2010
Kerozinn said:
for some reason i lost interest in it while watching...

Yeah, me too.
Jan 12, 2015 10:42 AM

May 2010
I heard the OP and I was like, I am in.

Man, too much going on. Reminds me of Kill la kill in that aspect (which I dropped after 1 episode, was too fast-paced) Plus I don't get it. More like I get it, yet I don't. I mean, I watch anime for relaxing but there was so much action that I felt like using my brain to figure out what was happening, I had to use it at my full speed. I don't like doing that when it come to my hobbies, like come on. So colorful and vivid and gah it pisses me off, same as KLK. But I can see that it can get good. I wanna enjoy it so bad, so I am just getting desperate.

I might be complaining but I am actually looking forward to next episodes.
Jan 12, 2015 10:55 AM

Feb 2007
Reminds me a bit of Kill la Kill, but not enough to drop it yet.
Jan 12, 2015 12:42 PM

Oct 2014
Well, this was certainly an interesting first episode. I don't know why, but this show kind of has a retro feel to it, almost like it was made in the 70s (not exactly in art style). I can't be the only person who thought this, right?

So far, I wasn't impressed enough to say that this is going to be the amazing show that I was expecting it to be, but this seems decent enough that I think that I'll enjoy it. I especially enjoyed the food battle in this episode.
Jan 12, 2015 1:57 PM

Apr 2011
Very weird but freaking awesome episode. One of my favs this season.
Jan 12, 2015 2:10 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Super nice animation. I liked the fights and ramen eating scenes, but overall found this to be very boring.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Jan 12, 2015 2:15 PM

Nov 2011
no idea whats going on but i like it
Hate Keeps me warm
Jan 12, 2015 6:41 PM

Mar 2011
That ending theme holy fuck
All these bitches.
Jan 12, 2015 7:01 PM

Jul 2014
Superb animation with a interesting story, similar to Kill La Kill. Oh and bright colours everywhere.
Jan 12, 2015 7:26 PM
Jun 2010
wow, where did this awesome thing came from
Jan 12, 2015 7:36 PM

Dec 2014
pakoko said:

They SHOULD be credited for just doing the basic because that basic information was more than enough to figure out what kind of world this show is taking place in:

If the script is written by a high school student with no experience I would probably give him credit for doing the basic right at the beginning, but for Muto Yasuyuki, who has been working in the industry as a screenwriter for more than 10 years I expect a lot more than just fleshing out the "When" and "Where", why give credit when almost every single show that existed done that right? Of cause the information is important, without that we don't even have a story, and that's just fundamental.

pakoko said:

The show can’t get any more straightforward than that, especially on the first episode. If you wanted them to go into specifics, that’s for future episodes, but the explanation cannot go more in-depth than this, or else it feels like too much of an info dump.

I never said I want this much details, just like you I know the first episode can't be everything and sometimes viewers have to be patient for the show to develop until they can decide whether it is their watch, but that doesn't mean the production team can't try to pull viewers into the show, now that's a thing I can give credit for if they can have more focus on doing that in this episode.

pakoko said:

Like I said, a Japanese show isn’t going to explain to the Japanese audience the geography of Japan. The stand down mostly consisted of an argument between borders of the various regions of Japan, something that is not expected of Westerners to know about. Westerners are not the target audience for this show, so Japanese people probably understood all the Japanese geography terms being thrown left and right. Those aren’t “technical” terms, they’re common sense for the Japanese audience.

I thought that is never the problem to begin with, the show was never advertised to cater to western viewers. Yet just because an anime isn't made for a specific group of audiences doesn't mean it automatically pleases it's target audience, in fact in 2ch, like 4chan in Japan, most of the users just bash the show for being confusing or too "Animator-oriented", just like if a show just randomly and constantly throwing internet memes on the screen but without showing their significant to the story viewers are going to get confused or bored.

pakoko said:
There were no other new “technical” terms after the stand down. Maybe terms like trainees, captains, and president, but those were very much straightforward. In other words, the show didn’t try to jam a lot of details in this first episode, when there weren’t that many to start with.

I maybe wrong on the amount of these terms after I rewatched it on a sub. Must be confused when trying too hard to get into the story when there is hardly any.

pakoko said:

No sorry, I realized the exposition at the beginning was just straight-up narration, without any other distractions. I just needed to reread the subs twice before I understood it because sometimes the subs go by quickly or the translations are sort of rough. Having said that, it’s my fault that I didn’t understand the first time and not the show’s animation or background song.

Well, okay then. I do realize the subtitle is constantly changing very fast like a flash light turning on and off during some scenes when I rewatched it on a sub. Must be a huge mood killer.

pakoko said:
Why talk about emotional connection in just the first episode? Why criticize it being style over substance in just the first episode? I find it puzzling that an AIRING show would purposefully try to be pretentious when they’re trying to make this show for a general audience (stuff like Me!Me!Me! is made by animators, only for animators). If that’s the sort of impression it had on you, then I can’t say anything because that was your first impression. But I didn’t see this as anything more than the typical show that tries not to spoonfeed its audience all the background info, but tries to do it in indirect ways. Why are you so displeased that the show is assuming that the audience is actually intelligent enough to figure everything out on their own? Or do you prefer anime that you can watch while having turned off your brain? Not trying to insult you, but you are criticizing a show for being pretentious, when really it just happens to take on a different style of storytelling.

Imply an insult, and then say that it is not your intention.

Yoru no Yatterman, another show of this season did made me invested into the story in just the first half of the first episode by providing minimalistic background information and focusing more on building up the characters and their motivations and personailties, right until they ruined it by having an inappropriate comedic moment, but still it is proved that making your viewers to be emotionally invested can be done at the beginning. And having that is a huge advantage, even Uchouten Kazoku, that has similar atmosphere did a better job of fleshing out it's characters and develop them in the first episode while having a vibrant world. I do like the scene after the first fight when the two sisters riding on a bike and having conversation with each other, that scene shows us their relationship and fleshes out their characters so that we can have someone to relate to in this totally bizarre world. It's scene like that which the flow is dictated by the characters not the animation help viewers to get invested into the story. Sadly after that we get a "Lamen eating" and amusement park scene which just for the sake of advancing the plot and showing off the animation instead of grounding on the story and characters. Scenes always alternated between character-driven and plot-driven that really made the show lost its focus. It's fine it they totally focus on one or the other, right now it's just half-baked, Space Dandy is another show which the entire focus is on the animation, but I won't call that pretentious because there is never any substance but mindless fun to begin with. It's definitely not spoon-feed information to the viewers, but this show just seems like throwing everything on the ground and without telling you what to look for.

Me!Me!Me! is basically a MV so there is the excuse, but for a TV anime there is certainly a different kind of expectation.

pakoko said:

Well I guess you’re just not a fan of those types of anime. I personally loved Kyousougiga because it challenged me to figure stuff out on my own instead of having the show explain everything word by word. Kyousougiga is a show that could have been 20 episodes long with its explanations, but they somehow miraculously compacted into 10. Those are the sort of shows that make me proud to be an anime watcher, not shows like Highschool DXD or some other ecchi, harem, or moe shows. If you’re lowering yourself to look at anime from a general audience’s perspective that’s fine. But as long as you yourself understood the show after a closer look, then I can’t understand why you would criticize the show for its storytelling aspect.

Well this is kind of off the topic so I don't hope this continues, but I'll admit I don't like the style of Kyousougiga after watching the first episode when it aired, but that's because I made a comparison of the similar style and storing telling technique between Akiyuki Shibo, Kunihiko Ikuhara and Kenji Nakamura, Shibo is good at making eye candy, Ikuharar is all about symbolism, Kenji is rather playful and unfocused and I just can't stand the randomness of the visual from Kyousougiga. So I can't tell if that is a good show or not since I never finished it but I have my impression that is based on my reasoning. Criticism is not like pure bashing if it's based on reasoning and evidence, just like many great show I or anyone can still criticize them if they can provide enough reasoning. If you see my post on the discussion of Shirobako episode 13 you'll know even though I enjoy the show and think that it's the best of its kind, the emotional connection just isn't there for me and I did give my reasons.
raveninthemuddleJan 12, 2015 7:42 PM
Jan 12, 2015 10:33 PM

Jun 2013
AaaaaaKun said:
If the script is written by a high school student with no experience I would probably give him credit for doing the basic right at the beginning, but for Muto Yasuyuki, who has been working in the industry as a screenwriter for more than 10 years I expect a lot more than just fleshing out the "When" and "Where", why give credit when almost every single show that existed done that right? Of cause the information is important, without that we don't even have a story, and that's just fundamental.

I never said I want this much details, just like you I know the first episode can't be everything and sometimes viewers have to be patient for the show to develop until they can decide whether it is their watch, but that doesn't mean the production team can't try to pull viewers into the show, now that's a thing I can give credit for if they can have more focus on doing that in this episode.

If we’re talking about the actual script itself, I agree that it is not the most smoothly written. The writers could have done a better job to introduce the world that the show takes place in besides a measly narration at the beginning. For example, I feel like they could have taken out the details of Japanese geography during the stand down because it was neither funny nor helpful to explaining the background story. All they had to say was,

“We will not let you have our territory!”
“We have nowhere else to go because the “Big Comima” is pushing us out of our territory!”
“You still can’t have our territory, unless you’re willing to share it!”
“Then I guess we’ll take it by force since negotiations have failed, under the Twin Towers Declaration!”
“Bring it!”

Instead, they include details like which Japanese cities border where and meaningless drivel about Japanese geography that really confused me at first. So I can agree with the fact that the writers could have done a better job with exposition in general. I think I just interpreted your point about there being a “lack of effort from the creator to actually help viewers to be familiarize with the story” to meaning that the story didn’t do a good job of explaining the background story, when really you were just commenting about how there’s a lack of effort in how they try to draw viewers into the story; a totally different matter. I apologize for that.

AaaaaaKun said:
I thought that is never the problem to begin with, the show was never advertised to cater to western viewers. Yet just because an anime isn't made for a specific group of audiences doesn't mean it automatically pleases it's target audience, in fact in 2ch, like 4chan in Japan, most of the users just bash the show for being confusing or too "Animator-oriented", just like if a show just randomly and constantly throwing internet memes on the screen but without showing their significant to the story viewers are going to get confused or bored.

Well, that doesn’t mean you have to bandwagon onto their opinions, right? Unless you really agree with them. Anyways, I don’t think you bringing up 2ch is really relevant because you were asking about how many technical terms were being thrown at the viewers, to which I replied with the fact that most of the “technical” terms you were talking about were just Japanese geography that Westerners are not familiar with. I wasn’t saying anything about whether or not the target audience enjoyed this show or not.

But thanks anyways for the random input. I’m not necessarily defending the show, but I didn’t know that this show was confusing to and bashed on by Japanese viewers as well.

AaaaaaKun said:
Imply an insult, and then say that it is not your intention.

Yoru no Yatterman, another show of this season did made me invested into the story in just the first half of the first episode by providing minimalistic background information and focusing more on building up the characters and their motivations and personailties, right until they ruined it by having an inappropriate comedic moment, but still it is proved that making your viewers to be emotionally invested can be done at the beginning. And having that is a huge advantage, even Uchouten Kazoku, that has similar atmosphere did a better job of fleshing out it's characters and develop them in the first episode while having a vibrant world. I do like the scene after the first fight when the two sisters riding on a bike and having conversation with each other, that scene shows us their relationship and fleshes out their characters so that we can have someone to relate to in this totally bizarre world. It's scene like that which the flow is dictated by the characters not the animation help viewers to get invested into the story. Sadly after that we get a "Lamen eating" and amusement park scene which just for the sake of advancing the plot and showing off the animation instead of grounding on the story and characters. Scenes always alternated between character-driven and plot-driven that really made the show lost its focus. It's fine it they totally focus on one or the other, right now it's just half-baked, Space Dandy is another show which the entire focus is on the animation, but I won't call that pretentious because there is never any substance but mindless fun to begin with. It's definitely not spoon-feed information to the viewers, but this show just seems like throwing everything on the ground and without telling you what to look for.

Lol my bad, I tend to do that when I’m rambling on. I don’t usually edit what I type so sometimes I say a lot of blunt things. I apologize for that.

Ok well now I understand that you, as a viewer, really look for how a show tries to draw its audience in. I don’t look for as much as you, especially in the first episode, and I tend to wait for everything to pan out before I can make my judgment. For example, I kept watching Glasslip simply because I thought the art and the animation looked amazing. Nothing more. After about 3-4 episodes in, however, I made the judgment to drop the series soon since I was neither invested in the story nor the characters.

With Rolling Girls, I’m going to keep watching it because of the amazing animation and potential of story. I am also a slice-of-life fan, so I’m interested to see how this show will manage to be a slice-of-life when it seems more like an action show right now. I won’t make any judgments regarding the actual story itself because we’re just one episode in. However, I guess I agree with your point that there’s a lot of random action in this episode without much purpose. Like, all the action is there for keeping the viewers interested, rather than some other purpose that would help with, say, the progression of the story.

AaaaaaKun said:
Well this is kind of off the topic so I don't hope this continues, but I'll admit I don't like the style of Kyousougiga after watching the first episode when it aired, but that's because I made a comparison of the similar style and storing telling technique between Akiyuki Shibo, Kunihiko Ikuhara and Kenji Nakamura, Shibo is good at making eye candy, Ikuharar is all about symbolism, Kenji is rather playful and unfocused and I just can't stand the randomness of the visual from Kyousougiga. So I can't tell if that is a good show or not since I never finished it but I have my impression that is based on my reasoning. Criticism is not like pure bashing if it's based on reasoning and evidence, just like many great show I or anyone can still criticize them if they can provide enough reasoning. If you see my post on the discussion of Shirobako episode 13 you'll know even though I enjoy the show and think that it's the best of its kind, the emotional connection just isn't there for me and I did give my reasons.

Yeah I went off on a tangent too by talking about Kyousougiga, when I should focus on Rolling Girls. I see where you’re coming from in terms of your dislike for shows with a different type of storytelling, so I won’t talk any more on that matter.

P.S. Kyousougiga definitely took about 3 rewatches for me to understand the show, so the mental reward of figuring out the message of the show, much like figuring out all the clever symbolisms of a novel, is what won me over. But I admit that the first time I watched this show I was very confused.
Jan 13, 2015 12:16 AM

Oct 2011
Can't wait to find out more about these characters
Jan 13, 2015 1:22 AM

Dec 2014
pakoko said:
I think I just interpreted your point about there being a “lack of effort from the creator to actually help viewers to be familiarize with the story” to meaning that the story didn’t do a good job of explaining the background story, when really you were just commenting about how there’s a lack of effort in how they try to draw viewers into the story; a totally different matter. I apologize for that.

Glad we finally make that clear.

pakoko said:
Well, that doesn’t mean you have to bandwagon onto their opinions, right? Unless you really agree with them. Anyways, I don’t think you bringing up 2ch is really relevant because you were asking about how many technical terms were being thrown at the viewers, to which I replied with the fact that most of the “technical” terms you were talking about were just Japanese geography that Westerners are not familiar with. I wasn’t saying anything about whether or not the target audience enjoyed this show or not.

But thanks anyways for the random input. I’m not necessarily defending the show, but I didn’t know that this show was confusing to and bashed on by Japanese viewers as well.

Well I was just trying to reinforce my point of "lack of effort to draw in viewers" when the target audience who should be much easier to get into the story don't even interest in this episode. But you are right, I did off topic a little bit.

pakoko said:
Lol my bad, I tend to do that when I’m rambling on. I don’t usually edit what I type so sometimes I say a lot of blunt things. I apologize for that.

Ok well now I understand that you, as a viewer, really look for how a show tries to draw its audience in. I don’t look for as much as you, especially in the first episode, and I tend to wait for everything to pan out before I can make my judgment.

I am also a slice-of-life fan, so I’m interested to see how this show will manage to be a slice-of-life when it seems more like an action show right now. I won’t make any judgments regarding the actual story itself because we’re just one episode in. However, I guess I agree with your point that there’s a lot of random action in this episode without much purpose. Like, all the action is there for keeping the viewers interested, rather than some other purpose that would help with, say, the progression of the story.

At least you are honest, way better than some idiots on the internet just insult others instead of using their brains to make good arguments. Everyone has a different approach to anime, for me I prefer anime with lots of care, effort and talent put into it, those made by Masaaki Yuasa are the best example. But for this show the production team behind it just doesn't scream talents for me and by watching this episode just gives me the impression of mediocre.
Jan 13, 2015 4:51 AM

Apr 2013
well this is a funny set.... HOLY SHIT WE KILL LA KILL NOW

great first episode. after seeing that fight i wish this was an action show and not slice of life though

seems like a fun series to watch
Jan 13, 2015 7:38 AM

Jul 2014
Cool story
Jan 13, 2015 4:16 PM
Jan 2012
Kill la Kill without the cringe worthy fanservice. Sounds good to me.

Matcha Punch :D

I want more already. Really liking the characters, which doesn't happen often by watching only one episode.
Jan 13, 2015 5:33 PM

Jul 2012
luinthoron said:
Reminds me a bit of Kill la Kill, but not enough to drop it yet.
Jan 13, 2015 6:39 PM

Nov 2014
Was crazy and entertaining

Jan 13, 2015 6:42 PM

Nov 2012
trabeus1 said:
The animation and the story felt like

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta

Ai Ibiki (Rolling Girls) and V Juli F (YQ) are twins! :D
Jan 13, 2015 11:11 PM

Feb 2014
Nice fighting scenes, but the story isn't quite clear to me.. Also, Nozomi didn't seem like the MC to me, her Masami got more of the spotlight. If Nozomi's gonna step up to it thought, something will have to happen to Masami, so that she joins the other girls..
Jan 14, 2015 12:33 AM

Dec 2014
Watched the 1st edispode. Reminds me of a SoL with wacky combats. But why Maccha Green ressembles too much with Ryuko
Jan 14, 2015 1:17 AM

Aug 2011
Wow... I've never been this impressed by a first episode in my life!

This is exactly my type of anime. Unique art, a cast of cute girls, trippy animation, and awesome fight scenes! The fact that Japan has split into different little regions is pretty cool, can't wait to see if we'll meet the Bests from them all.

Ramen contest was easily the best thing I've seen in anime so far.

Like everyone else, I feel like something will happen to Masami, and the four main girls will have to roll (i.e travel on their bikes) to each little region and meet the Bests there. How they'll do it I'm not sure.

So far this is looking like the AOTS for me.

Jan 14, 2015 1:42 AM

Oct 2013
Axernea said:
Nice fighting scenes, but the story isn't quite clear to me.. Also, Nozomi didn't seem like the MC to me, her Masami got more of the spotlight. If Nozomi's gonna step up to it thought, something will have to happen to Masami, so that she joins the other girls..

there's really no in depth story, it's slice of life.
Jan 14, 2015 8:52 AM

Feb 2013
Well that was...ramdom, not really sure what the story is about but I like it, pretty similar to Kill la Kill too

Jan 15, 2015 4:08 AM

Nov 2011
This TV series, reminds me a lot KLK colors and action, and Yozaqura Quartet in Chacacter Design.
Sympathetic the beginning, although it is a bit too chaotic and fast, let's see what happens in the near future.
Very funny scene of two girls who give themselves a challenge to those who eat more Ramen! LOL
Jan 15, 2015 9:41 AM

Jul 2012
My friends were giving this show a bit of praise for a first episode so I thought i'd give it a shot. I was not let down! Definitely one of the anime I'm looking forward to from this season. I'm digging the concept so far. Really quite fun.
Jan 15, 2015 9:53 AM

Feb 2008
This first episode seemed like a mix of Kyousougiga and Kill la Kill, so I'm very curious to see how this show turns out.
Jan 15, 2015 9:54 AM

Mar 2011
I honestly didn't understand anything, but somehow I enjoyed watching it?? Quite good, then, I guess.
Jan 15, 2015 12:12 PM

Jun 2010
this show definitely has me hooked. Territorial clashes, over the top battles, dozens of red coats. count me in
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Jan 16, 2015 12:29 PM

Mar 2012
10/10. holy lol at the alligator head dude.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 16, 2015 3:41 PM

Feb 2010
hmm... that was interesting,
Jan 17, 2015 9:27 AM

Jan 2011
the Kyousougiga feel is strong in this one, but the story seems to be easier to understand

i like how fun the episode is :) the ED indicates there will be 4 main girls?
Jan 17, 2015 7:48 PM
Apr 2013
Well, I can't say I wasn't blasted away with the first episode! Personally, there were too many informations at the same time, but I think they'll be repeating the whole story more times, so it's okay.
The art is lovely, and all those colors were awesome!
After the ramen scene, Kuniko seemed to be remembering something like a battle. The girls in the flashback seemed much younger, so I guessing it was her and someone else... Maybe Masami? Only her back was showing, though.
Well, I look forward for the next episode!
Jan 18, 2015 5:08 PM

Feb 2013
I didn't think it was very good, but it had a certain "charm" to it. The fights were kind of dumb, but certainly colorful.
Jan 19, 2015 4:59 PM

Mar 2011
The characters seem cute and the animation is nice and vivid. I like abstract stuff like this. But the plot is confusing and I find myself not caring. I'm not sure what to do with this. It's nice to have these kind of shows that remind me of stuff like Tsuritama's opening but it needs to make sense.
Jan 22, 2015 3:31 AM
Mar 2012
Plot is fast/random and amazing combat animation both quite like Yozakura Quartet.
There seems short plot hints why alternate jp is split into 10 'gangs'. How some groups are forced out because of expanding comima (basically comiket venue growing otaku power...?).
I had this impression before watching that it's just a bike roadtrip sol, apparently it's nothing like that. Hopefully not as random as Quartet, or the other random fast-pace show Sasami.
Jan 22, 2015 5:31 PM

Jan 2014
That's a shame. Such excellent production values wasted with such clunky storytelling and dull characters. Felt much longer than 24 minutes.

Might give the second ep a shot just to see where it goes, but I have a feeling I'll be dropping this one.
Jan 23, 2015 7:11 AM

Jul 2013
I didn't really understand what was going on, but I was laughing a lot anyway. I have kind of a weird sense of humor, and I really like colorful and over the top things. (Loved Kill la Kill, FLCL, Gurren Lagann, etc)

Part of the reason I had a hard time following it was because I couldn't keep all the Japanese names straight... prefectures or characters. I'll pick it up eventually.

A giant safety pin with a banner that comes out of it? Fight with it!
Your rival in battle has you in a submission hold? Tickle her!
Your enemy has a sweet Power Ranger suit? Get it by any means necessary!
Wanna wear a crocodile head or cat ears to your work as a militia / patrol? Go for it!
Random bus takes you to an amusement park? Hell yeah! There's no way it's a trap!
Why does Safety Pin Woman ride an American motorcycle? Why not?

I'm interested in the heart necklace; I guessed it might be one of those cheesy Best Friends split necklaces that you give your friend in 2nd grade and Ma-chan and the Safety Pin Woman used to be childhood friends. Based on some things I read about the show, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Who is Gas Mask Girl? Why is the Blue-haired girl there?

I'll keep watching because I found it really funny like "Battle Girls: Time Paradox".
Kinda dumb, but colorful and fun.

Just roll with it... ; 3
towelgirl21Jan 23, 2015 7:15 AM
Jan 24, 2015 11:15 AM
Jul 2018
That was very colourful, I didn’t think it’ll be like that but I’m definitely not complaining. I think it was a little slow but the fight was entertaining. I’m thinking of giving it the 3 episode rule but after that cliffhanger I definitely want to know what happens.
Jan 24, 2015 8:02 PM

Dec 2007
This would be nice 12 episode watch but I wouldn't stick around for more of it. Guess I'll wait until we have a episode count.
Jan 28, 2015 2:08 PM

Jan 2011
Omg this is like the epic Kyousougiga that I still have to watch! ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ
Liked it quite a lot, so fucking random.
Good characters, pretty nice animation too.
Hipsters~
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jan 29, 2015 2:06 PM

Jul 2009
When I saw the promo pictures I was expecting a different anime, stll don't know what to think about it, but I will give a try...
Feb 2, 2015 12:13 PM

Jul 2013
I'll have 10 servings of tonkotsu too please
Feb 6, 2015 7:21 AM

Sep 2014
I'm loving the Kill a kill vibe, although much weirder and random :)
Feb 10, 2015 4:51 PM

Nov 2014
Loved it! This looks so promising and it definitely reminds me of Kill la Kill.

That giant ass safety pin weapon = awesome.

Nozomi is super cute and I really like her so far! I also love how colorful everything is xD
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rolling☆Girls Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2015

49 by hanakocheeks »»
Mar 17, 2023 4:22 AM

Poll: » Rolling☆Girls Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2015

142 by hanakocheeks »»
Mar 17, 2023 2:23 AM

Poll: » Rolling☆Girls Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2015

65 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Nov 25, 2022 12:01 PM

Poll: » Rolling☆Girls Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2015

50 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Nov 24, 2022 12:29 PM

Poll: » Rolling☆Girls Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2015

56 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Nov 23, 2022 1:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.