Forum Settings
Forums

Shows should NOT be allowed to be rated/ranked until they're done airing

New
Dec 25, 2014 5:48 PM

Feb 2014
The title says it all really.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that people are allowed to rate shows before they're done airing. So from Day 1, the show will be ranked and sometimes people won't even change their score from Day 1. I find it very unfair, how can you rate a show before it's even finished? It's stupid to be quite honest.

People should not be allowed to rate the show until the day it has ended. I understand some people will change the score weekly, but how about we have weekly rankings where you can rate the show each week based on the most current episode? Then we can see how shows do week-to-week against other shows of that season.

And if there's a long running show, you could have the show be ranked at episode 50 or something.

It's so unbalanced and unfair that shows can be ranked/rated before they're over because unless you're from the future, you don't know how a show will turn out until it's over! This needs to change. I hope and pray that MAL will address this issue in their "big" 2015 update(s).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 25, 2014 5:56 PM

Jul 2012
What about shows that air every month or OVAs?
Dec 25, 2014 5:57 PM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:
What about shows that air every month or OVAs?

There could be some exceptions for that.

I'm mainly referring to general anime series that air during the regular season.
Dec 25, 2014 6:04 PM

Mar 2008
Unless you're from the future you don't actually know if all the episodes of a show will air, therefore, the show that exists in the now is the only show that matters.
Dec 25, 2014 6:17 PM

Nov 2010
I don't see any reason why people shouldn't be able to. Like Ckan said, all that exists is now. When someone rates an anime on the first episode a 6 they are saying so far it is a 6. I see no problem with that.

LoomyTheBrew said:
and sometimes people won't even change their score from Day 1
I would be interested in how you figured this out and how you know the reason why they didn't change it. Perhaps their opinion on the show didn't really change over the course. You don't know. You're making a big assumption just to back your point. I rate all my airing anime from the first episode and update their scores as my opinion on them changes.

LoomyTheBrew said:
but how about we have weekly rankings where you can rate the show each week based on the most current episode? Then we can see how shows do week-to-week against other shows of that season.
I think something like that may be fun but I don't see why it has to replace our current system of doing things.
Dec 25, 2014 6:42 PM

Feb 2014
Ckan said:
Unless you're from the future you don't actually know if all the episodes of a show will air, therefore, the show that exists in the now is the only show that matters.

It's simple: The week before the last episode update the end date and then don't allow anyone to rate the show until that day.

IntroverTurtle said:
I don't see any reason why people shouldn't be able to. Like Ckan said, all that exists is now. When someone rates an anime on the first episode a 6 they are saying so far it is a 6. I see no problem with that.

LoomyTheBrew said:
and sometimes people won't even change their score from Day 1
I would be interested in how you figured this out and how you know the reason why they didn't change it. Perhaps their opinion on the show didn't really change over the course. You don't know. You're making a big assumption just to back your point. I rate all my airing anime from the first episode and update their scores as my opinion on them changes.

LoomyTheBrew said:
but how about we have weekly rankings where you can rate the show each week based on the most current episode? Then we can see how shows do week-to-week against other shows of that season.
I think something like that may be fun but I don't see why it has to replace our current system of doing things.

See, this is the problem.

People shouldn't be able to rate a show when it's not finished. I find it so stupid that shows can already be ranked along with shows that have already been finished. For example: I'm a huge Fate fan, but I find it a absurd that the show by day 1, was already ranked in the top 20. The hasn't even ended and it somehow is ranked in the top 20? I'm sorry, but that's just not right.

You can't judge a full series on just one episode or even a few, you need to wait till it's over before judging because things can change at the finale.

Which is why I propose the weekly rankings because then you could rate shows each week by episode and compare them to other shows' ranks that season. A show should not be ranked with already finished shows because it's unfair and you can't judge a show until it's over. You can only judge the specific episode, but that's why a weekly ranking system would make more sense and not let airing shows to be put into the all-time ranks until they're over.
Dec 25, 2014 6:51 PM

Nov 2010
LoomyTheBrew said:
See what? *looks around* I see no problem.

LoomyTheBrew said:
People shouldn't be able to rate a show when it's not finished. I find it so stupid that shows can already be ranked along with shows that have already been finished. For example: I'm a huge Fate fan, but I find it a absurd that the show by day 1, was already ranked in the top 20. The hasn't even ended and it somehow is ranked in the top 20? I'm sorry, but that's just not right.
And the score will still be there when it ends, who knows, it might have changed. Still don't see the problem. All shows end.

LoomyTheBrew said:
You can't judge a full series on just one episode or even a few, you need to wait till it's over before judging because things can change at the finale.
Who said we were judging the whole series? I certainly didn't. I specifically said I'm judging what has came out already.

LoomyTheBrew said:
and you can't judge a show until it's over.
I judge an anime from the very first second. I just don't finalize it until it's done.
Dec 25, 2014 6:59 PM

Feb 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
LoomyTheBrew said:
See what? *looks around* I see no problem.

The fact that the airing show is already being ranked among already finished shows is stupid. You say you're not rankings the full series, but you have to realize that the show is already being placed against shows that have already finished airing. That in itself is flawed and shouldn't be allowed. An airing show should not be placed against an already finished show because it's not finished.

Simple as that.
LoomyTheBrewDec 25, 2014 9:31 PM
Dec 25, 2014 7:01 PM

Mar 2008
LoomyTheBrew said:
The fact that the airing show is already being ranked among already finished shows is stupid. You say you're not rankings the full series (which is true), but you have to realize that the show is already being placed against shows that have already finished airing. That in itself is flawed and shouldn't be allowed. An airing show should not be placed against an already finished show because it's not finished.

Simple as that.

Explain why.
Dec 25, 2014 7:24 PM

Sep 2011
Who cares if it's being ranked amongst the finished shows? It'll go to the same spot it does when it finishes airing. There's honestly nothing wrong with it.
Dec 25, 2014 8:52 PM

Apr 2013
Tyrel said:
Who cares if it's being ranked amongst the finished shows? It'll go to the same spot it does when it finishes airing. There's honestly nothing wrong with it.
Plus it's useful for people interested in picking up an airing show to see the ratings so they could decide.

Of course, weekly ratings also work, but having to comb through the ratings week by week sounds like a pain.
Dec 25, 2014 9:43 PM

Jan 2011
LoomyTheBrew said:

I find it absolutely ridiculous that people are allowed to rate shows before they're done airing.
Why? People will change their score if later episodes change their mind.
Dec 25, 2014 9:53 PM

Oct 2009
First world problems
Dec 25, 2014 9:57 PM

Jul 2011
You sound like one of those people who also refuses to drop shows and wastes hours finishing everything because of some stupid anime watching rules you made up yourself
Dec 25, 2014 10:53 PM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
I update my rates whenever I read/watch more. It's based on the performance of the total episodes/chapters currently

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Dec 26, 2014 8:21 AM

Jun 2010
I feel you, OP.
Just like you shouldn't rate a book or a movie before you finish it, the same applies for animu, which is just another kind of visual entertainment medium.
What people angrily replying to you on this thread seems to miss is that there's a huge difference into giving a score for an EPISODE and for the entire series.
Using a little bit of logic and common sense, one would wait for something to be finished before rating it (UNLESS it's a seasonal OVA or smth, obviously). A lot of things can make you change your mind, a plot twist at the end can totally ruin or make perfect the show...
However, since rankings are personal and individual,, someone can give scores to his stuff after watching just a couple of episodes and think that's perfectly fine. That's his twisted idea of what are rankings for, and you can't obligate him to change.

MAL rankings are simply not to be taken seriously. And the staff isn't willing to change this fact.
If anything, it gives you a nice idea of "what is trending".
Dec 26, 2014 5:20 PM

Aug 2007
If you do that then the score is no longer reflective of what the average watcher thinks, it's reflective only of the opinions of people who liked the show enough to watch every single episode of it. It completely disregards the opinion of people who didn't like the show enough to stick with it. The opinions of those watchers are still valuable.
Dec 26, 2014 6:06 PM

Jun 2010
asteron said:
If you do that then the score is no longer reflective of what the average watcher thinks, it's reflective only of the opinions of people who liked the show enough to watch every single episode of it. It completely disregards the opinion of people who didn't like the show enough to stick with it. The opinions of those watchers are still valuable.

The question OP raises is towards rating series you're currently watching.
Series that you dropped is a completely different thing.
Dropped ratings has the same value as complete ratings, because in both you're done with it and have a final opinion on it. What he is pointing out is that there's no reasoning into giving weekly scores.

With OPs suggestion, if you drop something, you can still rate it, just wait to give said rating after it finishes airing.
Dec 26, 2014 6:12 PM

Nov 2010
xbobx said:
What he is pointing out is that there's no reasoning into giving weekly scores.
He can point out all he wants, he hasn't provided any good reasoning to back it up.
Dec 26, 2014 10:23 PM

Jun 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
xbobx said:
What he is pointing out is that there's no reasoning into giving weekly scores.
He can point out all he wants, he hasn't provided any good reasoning to back it up.

In this case, I can. I share some of his opinions so I know where he's coming from. Allow me to digress on it:
First I'd like to make it clear that I'm just posting this because I find these topics interesting. I'm fully aware that a suggestion like this will never be accepted. MAL's Staff thinks the ranking is fine the way it is and serves its purpose, completely ignoring its flaws [examples if asked]

Now the issue here is conceptual. When you give something a score, that number represents your opinion on it, and that opinion is final. One has the FREEDOM to do whatever he wishes with his numbers, however, here on MAL your score is part of a community score, which is something that newcomers will take in consideration while considering watching a series. That said, this score must be solid and there are only two ways to give a solid final score: completing the show or droping it.
You simply can't score a story that you don't know how will end.
Why? Because the ride isn't over yet. There's more to be told and you can't simply put a label on it. Overall Score is not "how I'm feeling today" score.
MAL should enforce episode discussions and "Previews" WITHOUT a numerical score for currently airing series, not a rating that can change overnight because of a plot twist.

Then you ask me: why the fuck does this matters?
In practical and software terms, actually, it really doesn't. As Tyrel mentioned, they all end in the same place.
So I'm writing all of this because...? It's dumb. It's extremely dumb to score, rate, label and rank a piece of work before you see it completed.

TL;DR? A tiny piece of philosophy on the human need to quantify enjoyment?
Ultimately, this is not a "ur not living ur life correctly" post. MAL (clearly) doesn't set rules to ratings, so do whatever the fuck you want.
xbobxDec 26, 2014 10:28 PM
Dec 27, 2014 8:08 AM

Nov 2010
xbobx said:
Now the issue here is conceptual. When you give something a score, that number represents your opinion on it, and that opinion is final. One has the FREEDOM to do whatever he wishes with his numbers, however, here on MAL your score is part of a community score, which is something that newcomers will take in consideration while considering watching a series. That said, this score must be solid and there are only two ways to give a solid final score: completing the show or droping it.
I don't see how it's final if I can literally change it every five seconds if I so please. It is only final once I decide it is final. I may even change it years after completing it after rewatching it or adjusting my ratings. Your opinion on a series if often always changing as we experience new things, it's rarely final or set in rock.
Yes and for newcomers it would be nice to see how an anime is currently doing in the ratings. I wonder how many newcomers go this anime has 5 episodes out and it's rated quite high, all the people must have watched all the episodes and are rating off of that. No, they take into account with common sense that they are rating what has come out so far.

xbobx said:
You simply can't score a story that you don't know how will end.
Why? Because the ride isn't over yet. There's more to be told and you can't simply put a label on it. Overall Score is not "how I'm feeling today" score.
MAL should enforce episode discussions and "Previews" WITHOUT a numerical score for currently airing series, not a rating that can change overnight because of a plot twist.
Yes you can, I do it all the time. It's quite fun. And that goes with people who've dropped the series too.
And then I will change the score as my opinion on the series changes. That's not a very good 'why'. The overall score is an always changing thing even when an anime is completed and an anime airing is only a temporary thing and all eventually end. Still don't see the big deal if an anime is being scored for the few months while it's airing. What's the detrimental effect?

xbobx said:
Then you ask me: why the fuck does this matters?
In practical and software terms, actually, it really doesn't. As Tyrel mentioned, they all end in the same place.
So I'm writing all of this because...? It's dumb. It's extremely dumb to score, rate, label and rank a piece of work before you see it completed.
I'm pretty sure I don't use that sort of language in this situation.
Still don't see how it's dumb, you just change the score.

xbobx said:
TL;DR? A tiny piece of philosophy on the human need to quantify enjoyment?
Ultimately, this is not a "ur not living ur life correctly" post. MAL (clearly) doesn't set rules to ratings, so do whatever the fuck you want.
Yay and you really ended up saying nothing new and giving no good reasoning.
IntroverTurtleDec 27, 2014 8:17 AM
Dec 27, 2014 8:20 AM

Apr 2014
I usually rate an anime based on my first impression then change it after I'm done so no I don't agree with your suggestion.
Dec 27, 2014 8:45 AM

Jun 2010
IntroverTurtle said:

You completely missed my point and misinterpreted half of my observations. You changed the subject to what YOU THOUGHT I was talking about. Ultimately, you distorted the DEFINITIONS I used to try to prove them wrong.
Either you're stupid or too stubborn to accept a different opinion.
I'll not waste time repeating myself, stay ignorant. As I said, this won't even get approved.
Dec 27, 2014 8:52 AM

Nov 2010
xbobx said:
IntroverTurtle said:

You completely missed my point and misinterpreted half of my observations. You changed the subject to what YOU THOUGHT I was talking about. Ultimately, you distorted the DEFINITIONS I used to try to prove them wrong.
I'll not waste time repeating myself, stay ignorant. As I said, this won't even get approved.
Jan 1, 2015 10:56 AM

Apr 2013
And what about the shows like One Piece, Detective Conan, etc.?
Jan 1, 2015 11:15 AM

Jun 2014
Scores always change, even when the show is no longer airing. Who tf cares.
Jan 1, 2015 5:45 PM

Feb 2014
I usually start rating shows after 2-4 episodes. If I were to just drop them there and then but keep the rating I could understand why OP consider it a problem, but that's not the case. I keep watching and every time my opinion of the show changes the score will also change. It's an indicator of how much I enjoy the show thus far, the final verdict will come when the show is done airing.

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=59197

You're going to love that club OP, it's great. It tracks those weekly ratings you like to go on about.
I rarely revisit threads, so if you're after a reply you should PM me or post a comment on my profile.
Jan 2, 2015 12:47 PM

Jul 2013
I agree with this. It can damage the potential future viewers since the rating/ranked is not done when the anime is completed.
Jan 3, 2015 12:00 AM

Feb 2014
xbobx said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Great points you brought up earlier, I appreciate that at least one person backed me up on this haha.

And after some of the responses I kind of lost hope on having a good discussion on this, but responses like xytech's give me hope since he isn't totally saying that my concern is stupid and not a problem.

I will try to reply to some other comments later but it's a bit late right now so I'm just going to go to sleep.
Jan 5, 2015 6:42 AM

Oct 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
LoomyTheBrew said:

I find it absolutely ridiculous that people are allowed to rate shows before they're done airing.

Actually, most people don't bother changing their ratings. It's why recently finished shows that started well are highly rated, but two years later when several thousand more complete ratings are entered, the average drops considerably.

On the suggestion, I have a better idea. Reset the score once the show finishes airing. This allows people to rate as it's airing to inform potential viewers of quality while still resulting in a more accurate rating once complete. Many shows start strong and end poorly.
Either way, it averages out eventually.
Jan 5, 2015 7:29 AM

Jun 2014
Nefarious-Review said:
ReaperCreeper said:

Actually, most people don't bother changing their ratings. It's why recently finished shows that started well are highly rated, but two years later when several thousand more complete ratings are entered, the average drops considerably.

What if their opinions on the show never changed throughout the episodes? You can't force someone to change their ratings overnight.
Jan 8, 2015 5:17 AM

Jun 2014
LoomyTheBrew said:

I find it absolutely ridiculous that people are allowed to rate shows before they're done airing. So from Day 1, the show will be ranked and sometimes people won't even change their score from Day 1. I find it very unfair, how can you rate a show before it's even finished? It's stupid to be quite honest.

People should not be allowed to rate the show until the day it has ended. I understand some people will change the score weekly, but how about we have weekly rankings where you can rate the show each week based on the most current episode? Then we can see how shows do week-to-week against other shows of that season.

And if there's a long running show, you could have the show be ranked at episode 50 or something.

It's so unbalanced and unfair that shows can be ranked/rated before they're over because unless you're from the future, you don't know how a show will turn out until it's over! This needs to change. I hope and pray that MAL will address this issue in their "big" 2015 update(s).

I agree with your suggestion. There could be some kind of system set up for TV series where scoring is locked until a certain point. It would of course not be perfect, especially since we do not always know how long a series will be, but its better than what we have now me thinks.
Jan 9, 2015 12:06 AM

Oct 2009
Caraculiambro said:
I agree with your suggestion. There could be some kind of system set up for TV series where scoring is locked until a certain point. It would of course not be perfect, especially since we do not always know how long a series will be, but its better than what we have now me thinks.

There is already such system implemented. The certain point where it works is "Not Yet Aired"
Jan 19, 2015 5:51 PM

Jul 2013
LoomyTheBrew said:

This sounds like an amazing idea and should be implemented into MAL. Who is all in agreement with me?
Jan 19, 2015 6:45 PM

Oct 2009
dustinator1991 said:
This sounds like an amazing idea and should be implemented into MAL. Who is all in agreement with me?

Read the thread to find out who
Jan 19, 2015 8:39 PM

Feb 2008
People can do whatever the hell they want on their own list. You have no right to control that.
Jan 19, 2015 8:47 PM
Nov 2014
Nothing related to ratings will ever work properly because people are free to choose their own rating patterns.
Jan 20, 2015 4:07 AM

Apr 2008
As long as it lists how many episodes you had seen at the time of the rating, I don't think it really matters. I will actually use these reviews if I'm on the fence about trying a new show .
Jan 20, 2015 4:42 AM

Jun 2010
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to dump all shows with the status "Currently Airing" in a seperate ranking? And automatically elevate them once set to finished? So there would be no inconviniences or changes for the user from how the system works now.

Additional benefit you get a quick and easily accessible ranking and overview of all the currently running shows.
Jan 20, 2015 6:24 AM

Jul 2012
I don't think its fair or right to stop people from being able to vote. People have their own circumstances and should be able to vote when they feel comfortable. They can always change their vote too.
Jan 20, 2015 8:24 AM

Feb 2010
This is one of the stupidest suggestions that keeps coming up. Any suggestion that only robs people of the freedom to do stuff that strictly speaking bothers noone else except for a vague feeling of 'I don't want you to do this because I think it's stupid and I want to enforce my opinion on everyone else' should go right to the trash bin. We don't need more authoritarian rules on MAL whose sole purpose is to limit the options of the users and tell them what they are allowed to think or not.

And there is literally NOTHING to be gained from this suggestion. MAL ratings are mostly useless anyway so this is really purely a destructive suggestion targeting the userbase and limiting their options. Next thing you know we aren't allowed to rate Dropped or On-Hold Series or shows that we watched too long ago because our memories get hazy and who knows if we'd still rate them the same 5 or 10 years later? Maybe we should force people to adjust the rating of first seasons in case a second season comes out and they rated the first lowly because they thought it would have an open end. And nobody should ever be able to rate One Piece so noone ever knows if people actually like it or not until it finishes after 30+ years of publishing. What about people who don't understand an anime? I don't think they should be allowed to rate because they can't accurately give a score to something they didn't get.

Once you start accepting 'because I find it logical' as a valid reason to tell other people how and when they should have to judge a goddamn cartoon it gets ridiculous and anyone who supports this hopefully never gets any real power cause I'd fear for my freedom.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 21, 2015 4:21 AM

Jan 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
This is one of the stupidest suggestions that keeps coming up. Any suggestion that only robs people of the freedom to do stuff that strictly speaking bothers noone else except for a vague feeling of 'I don't want you to do this because I think it's stupid and I want to enforce my opinion on everyone else' should go right to the trash bin. We don't need more authoritarian rules on MAL whose sole purpose is to limit the options of the users and tell them what they are allowed to think or not.

And there is literally NOTHING to be gained from this suggestion. MAL ratings are mostly useless anyway so this is really purely a destructive suggestion targeting the userbase and limiting their options. Next thing you know we aren't allowed to rate Dropped or On-Hold Series or shows that we watched too long ago because our memories get hazy and who knows if we'd still rate them the same 5 or 10 years later? Maybe we should force people to adjust the rating of first seasons in case a second season comes out and they rated the first lowly because they thought it would have an open end. And nobody should ever be able to rate One Piece so noone ever knows if people actually like it or not until it finishes after 30+ years of publishing. What about people who don't understand an anime? I don't think they should be allowed to rate because they can't accurately give a score to something they didn't get.

Once you start accepting 'because I find it logical' as a valid reason to tell other people how and when they should have to judge a goddamn cartoon it gets ridiculous and anyone who supports this hopefully never gets any real power cause I'd fear for my freedom.
Yeah.
Jan 21, 2015 4:35 AM

Dec 2013
I think it's okay to rate currently airing anime, it gives a a view of how anime is received: if the score is pretty high, it's obviously something worth checking out.

But as I said this, I don't rate airing anime because I'm a person whose opinion can change rather quickly and it's a drag to change the score often. And overall it feels stupid to rate a show you haven't finished yet ( exclusing the OVAs ).

But I disagree with this suggestion, people should be allowed to rate an anime whenever they want, even if it is silly at some times.
Jan 22, 2015 2:24 PM

Jan 2013
There are probably by far more users against this than for it.

A lot of users like to rate a show by episode, or sporadic by every couple episodes. Common practice is to rate a show by its first episode and then adjust the rating once it is done.

There are also a lot of users that like to pick what to watch this season by their rating while it's airing. Several clubs actually use these ratings for stats, and games dealing with currently airing shows. (e.g. FAL)
Jan 22, 2015 3:03 PM

Mar 2012
No. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing my favorite ongoing series slowly crawl up the ranks, pissing off countless fanbases as it rose.
End Zionazism
Jan 23, 2015 1:45 AM
Mar 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Essentially, yeah. I'd probably have a hard time keeping track of my opinions if I couldn't rate during its airing, anyway.
Jan 23, 2015 10:23 AM

Mar 2012
LoomyTheBrew said:
I understand some people will change the score weekly, but how about we have weekly rankings where you can rate the show each week based on the most current episode? Then we can see how shows do week-to-week against other shows of that season.

Weekly ratings are already included in episode discussions for airing anime. There's no need to over complicate things by changing what we have now.
Jan 23, 2015 8:02 PM

Jan 2013
as someone who updates their rating of an airing show in 3 episode segments, this is a retarded suggestion.

Just sounds like everyone in favour is buttmad about their favourite show getting tanked ratings because of an unfavourable episode.
Jan 23, 2015 10:44 PM

Feb 2010
Syrup- said:
as someone who updates their rating of an airing show in 3 episode segments, this is a retarded suggestion.

Just sounds like everyone in favour is buttmad about their favourite show getting tanked ratings because of an unfavourable episode.
Saved me the time lol, shows go up and down. Unless you're a person who's tastes change when an anime goes up/drops in ranking.

Current system is fine as it is.
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Jan 24, 2015 8:17 AM

Jul 2014
No, it would be a terrible idea.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Yesterday, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.