Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 23, 2011 4:03 PM
Aug 2007
Enjoyed this movie a lot. The nostalgic feeling of being in High School really got me..
Jun 12, 2011 3:59 AM

Aug 2010
hated it! They should not get married...
Dec 21, 2011 2:43 AM

Mar 2007
^ Uhh... did those photos during the credits roll gave you a marriage vibe?

Back on track, this movie has a good realistic male lead, and the relationship between the girls, their friends and between the male lead and his male friends felt real. It is no wonder how people can relate to this movie more than fantasy-based Ghibli movies.

It is too bad, IMO, that anime of the modern world are keen on making perverted, foolish-looking male leads that supposedly add romantic elements to the story. Bummer.
Jul 7, 2012 11:07 AM

Jan 2010
Am I the only one who was glad when she got slapped? What's with the attitude? -.-
I like the main male character; he has a very realistic personality and is an over-all good guy :) The whole movie was worth it for him. But her... >_>*
Dec 11, 2012 11:39 PM
Manga DB Admin
Jun 2010
This was definitely a strange one for me. After watching it I felt really unsatisfied. I didn't really like it, but I couldn't call it bad, because there was this nagging feeling that I hadn't "gotten" something really important. It's been almost half a year since I watched Ocean Waves, and every time I've thought about it since I've been liking it more and more. Now I feel like I understand what it's all about. The plot meanders and the some of the characters are unlikeable, and the end feels like a complete 180 from the whole rest of the film, but it's like that because that's what real life is like. Things happen without rhyme or reason, and you encounter people that you don't like in life. Currently I'm thinking about the last part, which is what bothered me the most, and what I'm starting to understand. I think I'll understand this idea of time changing people and our perception of the past once I'm a little older.
Jul 13, 2013 11:47 PM

Jan 2013
Lame ending.
Liked the dynamic they had though.
6/10
Oct 3, 2013 9:05 AM

Mar 2012
Not directed by Hayao Miyazaki, how disappointing.

it`s too boring to me, the only good part is the MC, weird conversation, bitch slap and the romance development.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Dec 13, 2013 7:24 PM
Oct 2008
It was... okay, sadly the annoying ass female lead brings this down way too much

6/10
Apr 11, 2014 10:05 AM

Sep 2012
For my first Ghibli film, this was not a good impression.

Would it kill Japan to make a female romantic interest who is actually likable? It really says a lot about a character when you find yourself rooting for the girls bullying her.

Seriously, the entire movie, all she did was act like a spoiled, ungrateful, bratty, entitled bitch. And then the main guy just went along with it because... well I guess you can't say no to a cute girl, right? Fucking hell. The way they tried to paint her as all tragic and sympathetic fell fucking flat. Maybe it would have worked out if she wasn't characterized as such a bitch. That scene where he slapped her was probably what kept me from dropping the movie half way through. And that's not a good thing.

I liked the ending though. I really like how it showed them all grow up and mature. That's probably what saved the whole thing for me, the characters realizing "wow, we acted like a bunch of immature rotten little shits". But, them realizing at the end that they are more mature than they were before doesn't negate the fact that it was incredibly unpleasant to watch. I wish there was a scene at the end where the main girl said something along the lines of "sorry I was a huge cunt to everybody and that you all had to put up with my shit". That would have raised my score a little bit. But alas.

I liked the music though. And the visuals weren't bad. I also liked the main character when he wasn't being a complete door mat.

3/10 I wouldn't recommend this to anybody, unless they're really into watching spoiled brats getting their shit put up with for no reason other than the fact that they're a woman.
Red_KeysNov 24, 2014 8:56 PM
Apr 12, 2015 12:44 PM

Apr 2014
It was fine, I guess. 8/10

That 1h and 12min wasn't enough for me.
May 24, 2015 7:01 PM

May 2014
Omo, that part where he slept on the bath tub when Rikako fell asleep on the bed. Just wow, you rarely find guys like that. What a gentleman. He didn't take advantage of the situation.

Plus this xD

Hahaha, this made me laugh so hard. He's like, he didn't know what to do when Rikako cried out to him!
violityMay 24, 2015 7:09 PM
Jul 18, 2015 3:44 PM

Jun 2012
Damn just finished watching it and just realized the Blu ray remaster was just released in Japan today... should've just waited lmao.

That said... Muto was such a bitch lol. Taku slapping her was probably best part of the movie. I think its weird they just became in love with each other at the end of the film. Still it was solid. I might check out that remastered version.
Aug 3, 2015 3:22 AM
Dec 2011
i loved it another ghibli masterpiece it was so entertaining to watch. the story flowed very smoothly .the characters decisions that they made was so real and understandable also they were just normal people. you will surely relate to at least one character because the actions they take is very close to your heart. its a beautiful love story between taku and rikako . very touching and heart warming i loved it very much :3
Aug 9, 2015 1:09 PM

Oct 2012
Good and nostalgic story. Was really enjoying its slice of life moments and I really think they managed to capture usual school lives pretty well. Kinda similiar to Mimi wo Sumaseba but I liked that one a bit better.

It was good as good old Ghibli movies and the atmosphere was just about perfect but I found their (non-)relationship during the movie kinda lacking if they were to end together as ending suggested.
I get they both liked each other and simply didn't tell but there really was nothing that would eventually lead to this ending. They had great chemistry and dialogues with each other were really natural, I know, but they were just mostly arguing with each other and Muto was using him most of the time. Though sometimes one little detail and being in the right time at the right place is enough to get two people together, I know this myself pretty well.

It was very refreshing to watch movie like this because these days there are simply no such animes. Not a masterpiece but the movie you can recommend.

7/10
Sep 9, 2015 3:55 PM

Jul 2009
This was probably my least favourite Studio Ghibli film (along with Only Yesterday). I suppose I just don't get into the whole slice of life genre that much.
Dec 15, 2015 8:53 PM

Dec 2014
well it took me quite a time to figure out what exactly went wrong when morisaki was slapped and then punched...
but now i am more satisfied to have understand the situation...a good light-hearted(may be) movie..

Jul 16, 2016 10:08 AM

Oct 2013
That train make me though that it's going to end like 5cm/s lol. Whatever, I give it 8/10 cuz how realistic and nostalgic it is.
Jul 23, 2016 3:23 PM
Sep 2010
I like the general feel of the movie, of looking back on middle/high school life and remembering things like spring break and summer vacation. Though the girl put up such an incredibly bitchy attitude throughout the whole movie, I really couldn't stand her. Really pulled down my impression of the movie. As multiple people have said above, her getting slapped was the most satisfying scene.
Sep 6, 2016 7:51 AM

Feb 2013
He was awful.
First he slaps her and next he doesn't help her when she's bullied, dunno what is she seeing in him.
Jan 26, 2017 5:48 PM

Apr 2012
It's fairly watchable but also quite frustrating. The characters don't have many redeeming features, and while you can sympathise to an extent, I don't really find myself rooting for them at all.
Mar 25, 2017 6:11 PM

May 2016
This outstanding film might be the best high school drama I've ever seen. It saddens me to see how underrated it is by most of this site's users.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Apr 2, 2017 10:27 PM
Dec 2011
Personally, I cheered for Rikako Muto due to one scene. But a couple of things made me thought she was a real bitch prior
Jul 30, 2017 4:32 AM

Jun 2017
I think the only entertaining part of this movie was when Taku slapped Rikako in return! haha!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Aug 16, 2017 8:15 PM

Aug 2013
I liked this quite a bit, I don't think it's on the level of Whisper of the Heart, or Only yesterday but it was a nice watch none the less.
Aug 28, 2017 10:07 AM

Aug 2013
Firstly, this movie was probably a huge inspiration for Shinkai Makoto. It contains everything which Makoto is using. THE TRAINS!

Secondly, MAL rating is a joke, as always.
Great movie.
I must do a research in less popular Ghibli productions. I didn't like thier most popular movies, but this one was simply beautiful.
Not mentioning about wonderful artwork.
9/10!!
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 27, 2017 4:06 PM
May 2012
it's a nice movie, but too short.
i like the mc, and he's got good style, too. felt bad for glasses-kun, though.
after all these years, SOL anime is still amazing and comforting to me.
Dec 30, 2017 6:40 PM
Feb 2016
japanda said:
Am I the only one who was glad when she got slapped? What's with the attitude? -.-
I like the main male character; he has a very realistic personality and is an over-all good guy :) The whole movie was worth it for him. But her... >_>*

I totally agree. I could relate to the male lead, Morisaki Taku, and I totally hated the girl, Rikako, and how manipulative she was. I was satisfied when she got slapped back. I can't believe that later, she slapped him again, right after he was trying to compliment her for standing up against all those girls. I felt like she deserved all the crap all those girls were giving her anyway, because of how selfish and nasty she had been. Remember when she reacted nastily to Matsuno Yutaka, who had a crush on her and finally admitted it? I can't believe how mean she was in her response. It also surprised me that after Taku got slapped near the end of the movie, he also was punched by Yutaka. What a jerk, Yutaka was.
May 20, 2018 10:02 AM
Mar 2018
Just watched this film for like the third time and had a debate for like an hour since my friend absolutely hated it.

In the end we realized that's just the kind of movie it is and at the very least the aesthetic is very nice and has aged very well, especially the way it's directed and the drawn.

The overall feel is super nostalgic despite me never had grown up in the showa days in Japan.

Like half the people here, my friend hated mutou and didn't understand why the main character would like her and also that he was an idiot to stick with her.

But I think that's the whole point. He doesnt even realize he liked her until the very end of the film.

There were subtle hints like the photos of mutou or him feeling bad for her, but nearly the whole movie he ponders why he even deals with her and how she's so spoiled or whatever.

In my own words, I feel like the message here was that when you like someone, you'll sacrifice yourself for someone else, you'll do stupid things and even hate the other person. But why do put up with it? Because you like them, and it's never always that obvious. You waver back and forth and by the time you realize it, you already like that person.

I think thats what explains his back and forth with help her out and fighting with her, and his friend pointing out he liked her before he even realized it.

Although I'm not going to say this is the perfect film since maybe the story could have been told better, but to me the message behind everything and the subtly of it really makes me fall in love with it.

Sorry for the long post, but just my 2 cents on a truly unique film.
Nov 4, 2018 10:27 AM

Apr 2009
Nothing really special about this movie.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2019 2:38 PM

Sep 2011
I like this one a lot, it's a very down-to-earth teen drama. Their worries, and struggles feel real, and even relatable. The love triangle feels especially well done. But even though it isn't bad at all, it still feels a bit bland to me. The animation is very beautiful though.
Aug 31, 2019 9:14 PM
Jun 2016
Just rewatched this after some 8 years...and it's a short, sweet film.

Still had the feeling that it could have spent more time telling the story and filling out the characters though...
"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love, so if one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
Dec 31, 2019 10:06 PM

Dec 2019
Definitely needed to be longer. I liked the main two but outside of them and his friend every other character suffers from the “”Who are you again” syndrome. Which is a shame because I liked the movie but was left with the feeling of wanting something more from it . Somewhere in here is a incredible movie and I feel as if more love was put into it. This very well could’ve very well could’ve been an amazing piece of cinema and a generation defining piece .
Jan 29, 2020 1:17 PM

Jul 2017
I went into this in the beginning thinking I would end up feeling bad for Yutaka, but the whole time I just felt bad for Taku, man was a g. Seriously don't get this romance though, there was literally no reason why he would fall in love with Rikako in the first place with how shit she treated him

Easy 4/10 I'm actually surprised this is listed as the 2nd best romance movie (at the time) in that mal article
Feb 18, 2020 2:20 AM
Jan 2014
Seeing simps defend this movie is hillarious

There is zero chemistry between the two main leads at all
Holy shit, some ol you guys are really making the excuse that this is realistic,it is not it is a shitty teenage soap opera with a goody two-shoes main guy, who simps over an unlikeable cunt

He had so many chances of leaving her alone, but by the end, it makes it clear that Taku will always be a simp

Apr 20, 2020 10:13 AM

Dec 2015

I don't get the problem with the absence of "chemistry", it's not really about a couple of lovers.
I can't really say a thing, sadly, since I am rarely clear when thinking about it (it actually angered me the 1st time I saw it accidently)

Score: 9/10
Enjoyment: 0~5/5

Between Ano hi ni kaeritai and this special, Mochizuki is really a good pick to direct this kind of stories. @FMmatron If you ever feel like "going back to that" kind, it's a pretty good choice.

I should check his own created Pierrot magical girl someday...

@Shock_Yin For non english speakers, could you clarify what 's a "simp"??

February 5, 2021
@Clars_sama Well, they're teenagers, it's hormonal. ;) (More seriously, to be in love sadly requires not a grain of logic and reason.)
Rei_IIIApr 3, 2021 8:47 AM
Jun 13, 2020 4:26 PM

Feb 2020
a little too short and I couldn't figure the girls personality out at all:/
All in all great movie though, kinda like Whisper of the Heart, yeah<3
I'd say 8.5/10 if that was possible, now I have to decide between 8 and 9._.
Let's say...uhm..............9!
Whisper of the Heart was a straight 8 though

tysm iva-🐢💜

Jul 11, 2020 12:24 PM

Jul 2013
I think that this movie has aged well after all these years. I particularly liked the visual aesthetics and the calming soundtrack
Jul 22, 2020 8:43 PM

Jan 2014
I really liked it! so relatable 8/10 :)

don't understand MAL's low score :(
laputiaJul 22, 2020 8:47 PM
Sep 7, 2020 6:18 AM
May 2020
It was a bad special.i hated the main girl don't remember her name though i completed just now.4/10 dont watch this its just badd
Sep 9, 2020 2:38 AM

Aug 2018
This is where the beggining of not so good Ghibli starts. The decision to let young directors make their own product resulted into something that doesn't have the Ghibli magical touch in it. Even tho there were parts that I liked, overall its a pretty dissapointing and not memorable film, I guess this is one the weakest films produced by Ghibli but the good part is, that its not made by Miyazaki or Takahata
Dec 16, 2020 3:09 AM

Jun 2020
A simple SOL, there wasn’t much to it but I loved Morisaki, great MC & overall a great guy. I smiled at his every action, like when he got up during dinner with his family & his mum was nagging at him while he sat away from them in front of the TV, and that phone call with his mum while he was in Tokyo..... I dunno there was this little charm to him, quite like the easygoing, unassuming, down-to-earth kind boy-next-door vibe

I was glad when Matsuno picked him up at the airport, glad they didn’t let a girl ruin the friendship they had

Also loved the 90s fashion, everyone dressed so well ♡____♡

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Dec 22, 2020 6:08 PM

Mar 2012
first ghibli movie that i didn't really like.
it was very beautiful, yes, and i sometimes watch some things just for the design and animation of it, but the story...
although i really do like the fact that it's very realistc, the main guy is one of the few i've seen that is not abusive or disrespectful and the girl does have a personality and flaws, what we don't see very much in anime these days i just ended it feeling it was futile.
maybe it's because i'm past my teen years and i now find teenagers to be very annoying, because that was the feeling i ended it with. i was annoyed.
thinking back about it, it was okay, but i'm probably not in a time of my life to actually enjoy watching these teenagers just being teenagers.
Feb 5, 2021 7:17 AM

May 2020
They should have been gay, then this movie would be 10/10. I love everythig about this movie but there is no way any of those guys would be in love with that anoying bitch.
“I am running away from my responsibilities. And it feels good.”
– Michael Scott
Feb 12, 2021 4:10 PM

Dec 2019
This is so satisfying i could watch it 60000 times
Feb 21, 2021 10:14 AM

Jan 2017
i really enjoyed the style of drawing. it wasn't too complex and easy on the eyes. i also liked the nuanced behaviors that the mc exhibited, for example the leg shake when he was called on the phone or when he was called down to the cafe.

the music was especially fitting, since it took on this tone of light and naive.

everything about the film/show was light. i thoroughly enjoyed it, but the ending was kind of meh. a cliffhanger imo. well what's next now that the ending happened? only the viewer can surmise.
Mar 7, 2021 8:14 AM
Sep 2019
Watching this gave me a good night. One of the Studio Ghibli's best Drama - Romance film, with the animation, vocals and how realistic the essence and story of the film was. Old aged anime really is something.
Mar 16, 2021 6:07 PM

Aug 2020
That was interesting. The characters acted in a very "human" way, which is one of Studio Ghibli's best tricks. The atmosphere of the movie is very lively, also the backstories of the characters were well developed. The movie could be longer though, in order to explain more and keep the pace a bit slower.

Overally, this movie is very good. It kept me entertained, even though it could have more.

Mar 25, 2021 7:53 AM
Jul 2014
Honestly, I don't know what to feel about this. I enjoyed the movie, but I feel like it could've developed more. I watched it because I didn't have time to watch anything longer than an hour because I had work. This one was by far the shortest movie, 1 hr 15 mins or so. But, I was kind of satisfied and was also kind of wanting more at the same time.

I watched it on Netflix, as I'm kind of on a Ghibli kick right now, as I watched Arietty just yesterday. So I was in the mood to continue more Ghibli films that are on Netflix. Don't know what to watch next.

Now that I think about it, it felt like an entire romance anime adapted in a 1 hour movie. It definitely could've had more time.
Unleashed_SMMar 25, 2021 8:01 AM
Mar 26, 2021 8:17 AM
Dec 2019
The angry reviews on the anime's splash page are hilarious. The one that calls Murata "kind of a racist" for making fun of Morisaki's Kochi accent in particular just screams "I'm 14 and writing a very serious anime review." Not that I would've appreciated this movie much as a child either but it's still really funny.

I'm definitely a sucker for gorgeous 90s anime. I watched this and Whisper of the Heart pretty close together (partly because they're short) and realized how much I appreciate simple everyday stories like this. Porco Rosso has always been my favourite Ghibli movie but the stuff with absolutely no fantasy at all (and Castle of Cagliostro) are true treasures.

Although I weirdly kind of agree with the commenter here who said they should've been gay, lol. I really like the story as it is but that wouldn't have been a bad way to change it.
Apr 3, 2021 1:52 AM
Jan 2020
Love the way how this movie inspired Shinkai a lot to do kimi no na wa.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Change the Entry Picture request

RandomGuyScott - Aug 23, 2022

4 by Y_O_U_V_A »»
Aug 22, 2023 3:16 AM

» Missing song on the soundtrack

BaronVonBarron - Aug 17, 2021

1 by anhtt »»
Dec 21, 2021 1:40 AM

» Novel's

Akagi-kun - Jul 8, 2015

3 by Emerardo »»
Jun 30, 2021 8:48 PM

» Why Umi ga Kikoeru (The Ocean Waves) is tagged as a 'Special' type instead of a 'Movie'?

TahZin - Mar 22, 2017

3 by TahZin »»
Oct 18, 2017 8:13 PM

» Optimum Releasing - UK R2 release

wrrlykam - Jun 10, 2009

4 by lakshika »»
Aug 1, 2015 6:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.