Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Sep 25, 2014 6:48 PM

Apr 2010
Well that wasn't terribly exciting.

Sep 25, 2014 6:53 PM
Sep 2010
This is the worst P.A works show I saw, I gave this one a 3/10
Bad story
weird pacing
decent characters
poorly executed smh
Sep 25, 2014 6:56 PM

Sep 2010
mayukachan said:

Glad to see more people putting in appropriate ratings for Asslip and lowering the score!

We're saving future fans from wasting their time on this pile of trash.

It will hopefully be in the 5 point range tomorrow if it keeps this up it might actually be the lowest rated TV series. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 25, 2014 7:18 PM

Dec 2012
kijioto said:
cometta222 said:
i enjoyed this series. the ending was beautiful. the moments between touko and kakeru really did pulled my heart string. this is my understanding; so, kakeru decided to follow his mother, but no matter apart they are, they can still see and hear each other. kakeru wont be alone anymore. it's a bit heart-rending but their relationship is honest.

8/10 for me ^_^

I think Kakeru stayed, but forever, this is the reason his tent is gone he moved to inside the house. But anyway i loved the show, one of the bests in this season.

yeah, maybe he did, but it seems like the director wants us to have have our own interpretation of the ending. but some of the reasons i believe that kakeru did left with his mom is that it's hinted when yuki said that Jonathan is an adventurer's name, another is that his tent is no longer there.

but the missing tent could also imply that kakeru is staying there and moved inside.

but either way, but it doesnt matter cause they're each other's better half and they're closer than they know.

and i agree with you, Glasslip is also one of my favorite this season =]
Sep 25, 2014 7:23 PM

Sep 2014
wtf when they threw the marbles and the marbles were soaring through the sky with streaks of light behind them
wtf at the ending and pounded my hands

liked the art
liked the music

laughed in pleasure seeing people say this show was nothing
some optimistic/positive opinions about the anime found in this forum seem plausible
liking the poll results :3

10/10 - IGN
Darstorm-SandudeSep 25, 2014 7:27 PM
I don't consider myself a good judge.

trying not to be an obnoxious otaku
Sep 25, 2014 7:25 PM

Jul 2013
waterfallsxo said:

Lacertoss said:
Terrible, terrible, terrible anime. 2/10, I only didn't gave it a 1 because that spot is reserved for School Rumble San Gakki in my list.

I don't even get me started on the School Rumble: Third Term mess. Hey let's squeeze 24 episodes into a 2 minute time frame and then show the final 2 episodes as OVAs. I was confused watching it since I haven't read the manga. I gave it a 5 only because I really liked School Rumble.

I know, right? It was so bad that it spoiled the entire franchise for me. I think it's safe to say that Karasuma's desease was the greatest asspull in the entire industry up to date. And Glasslip almost managed to get a score as low as it, so yeah, it was terrible.
Sep 25, 2014 7:36 PM

Aug 2011
Sad day to be a shipper....
Still love Kakeru tho <3
Sep 25, 2014 7:41 PM

Jan 2014
so Okikura-kun was forgotten? he left because he felt her hurts touko if he's around her...fuck that shit...
ending sucks... not even a plot twist at the end...
2/10
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

Sep 25, 2014 7:53 PM

Sep 2014
(@_@;)''''''
WTF just happened? It's like I've never heard of anime and watched Akira and the last episode of Evangelion for the first time. Nothing but confusion and questions. What kind of deep meaning hidden message show was this? The Japanese are too deep thinkers for my small brain to handle or I wasn't high enough to understand it.

Can someone please tell me what the hell happened? What was the meaning of her seeing the fragments. Where why did he leave with his mother in the end? Did he really think if he stayed he would have ended up hurting her more? Questions, Questions, Questions......???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Sep 25, 2014 7:57 PM

Nov 2012
Honestly, it feels like nothing really happened in the show. It was relaxing, sure but it wasn't exciting. It's not as bad as people say it is though. I'd rather watch this than Rail Wars. 6/10 for me
Sep 25, 2014 8:17 PM

Aug 2013
As respect for those who actually liked this show, I won't go with my full-on rant.

4/10. What a waste.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 25, 2014 8:19 PM
Oct 2011
What moral I got from this series?
Never go full dramatic

that girl such retard..eh..the whole such retard
Sep 25, 2014 8:56 PM

Mar 2014
This was a terrible anime... With that said, Jonathan spinoff series plz xD
2/10 for the anime. Only reason it's not 1/10 is because of the animation.
I am so disappointed with P.A. Works because I know they can do so much better than this.
Zanos1Sep 25, 2014 9:00 PM
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Sep 25, 2014 9:03 PM
Oct 2008
Thank God this crap is over.
Sep 25, 2014 9:05 PM

Aug 2012
The best part about this anime was the little sister. Everything else but the animation was garbage.
Sep 25, 2014 9:10 PM

Jun 2013
So... did anything happen?

CreamyKagarin said:
. I'd rather watch this than Rail Wars.

I'd rather watch Rail Wairs, lol.
Sep 25, 2014 9:23 PM

Jun 2013
LOL! WTF just happened? Where's Kakeru? Do I need a PhD in bullshit to understand this ending?

2/10.
Sep 25, 2014 9:24 PM

Nov 2013
yay it's done
Sep 25, 2014 9:33 PM

Jan 2011
orchidork said:
did david vanish or did he end up going to school with her?

Probably he just got tired of Touko's hallucinations and escaped from this town with Jonathan because it was destined: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_and_Jonathan
Sep 25, 2014 9:34 PM

Mar 2012
It pains me to say this, but as a P.A. Works fan, this is atrocious and probably the worst anime I've EVER seen them produce. Yes, it might even be worse than RDG: Red Data Girl and anyone who knows me knows EXACTLY how much I hated that anime.

What was the point of this series? I was okay with it's incredibly slow pacing, but I figured we'd have some big reveal in the final episode that would make it all worth while...nope. Upon completing this last episode, I really don't understand wtf happened.

What were the writers trying to accomplish with this?
Sep 25, 2014 9:44 PM

Jan 2008
rodac said:
So in the end the only clear resolution that is shown is Hiro and Sachi, who are definitely shown as a couple (I'm not going to count Hiro's sister and her off-screen boyfriend). It's strongly hinted that Yuki and Yanagi are together, based on the reaction of the swim club as they run past and Hina's knowing smile--but it's not shown. As for Kakeru, the patch on the lawn where his tent used to stand suggests that he is off on tour with his mother although it is implied that he'll be back to watch the winter fireworks with Touko. I can tolerate ambiguous endings, but even for me there was just too much left hanging to be totally satisfied. It was pretty, the OST was marvelous, and if you worked really hard at it the ideas behind it were pretty engaging--but I wanted more closure damn it. (Later Edit: I didn't want to have to spend an hour going over it in my head to finally process and understand it--is probably what I meant.)

I think one of the keys to this episode were the conversations between Touko's parents, and also between Touko and her mother. We have the exchange about how her father proposed during the meteor shower, and soon after we're shown all three couples watching the meteor shower in separate locations. Touko's mother also talks about the "fragments of the future" and acknowledges that Touko is an adult (as does Kakeru's father to him in another conversation). The way her family left Touko in the care of Kakeru's also looked pretty much like a symbolic acknowledgement of their relationship ("Please take care of our daughter..." although not directly said was pretty much implied).

Back in the first episode we were given the foreshadowing that this would be the last summer that the original five friends would be together. That was true, as by the end of the summer things have changed forever--Hiro and Sachi go back to school as a couple, Yuki goes back alone as Yanagi rides the train to her modeling career, and Touko too is alone with her thoughts of Kakeru--the stranger who played a pivotal role in disrupting the comfortable world of childhood and moving them forward into adult relationships. This really was a slice of life, not in the sense we usually think of--cute girls doing cute things in a meaningless club after school--but in the sense of showing fragments of an important transition between two stages of their lives. It wasn't an easy show and it required a lot more effort than we normally have to expend to understand, but I think it was rewarding in the end.

Very interesting read. I've never really thought about it that way before. It always felt like nothing interesting ever happened, and that the fragments of an alternate world was just a plot device without any real significance. To give the show the benefit of the doubt, I think maybe the fragmented world was one that could have been full of "what if?", for better or worse--since Touko was the stranger in that world instead of Kakeru.

Kakeru's clones can be simply written off as being similar to the different choices a person faces, like a devil and angel on each shoulder.

With Touko's mother mentioning she had a similar, if not the same mysterious power as her daughter when she was younger, it could be implied that the visions of an alternate world eventually stop in adulthood. As for the reason to why some young kids have this extrasensory ability (via sound or light), it could be that it was to show them a different perspective to their own world, and that it may not always stay the same.

The only thing I didn't get was why Kakeru didn't stick around. He always felt a "sudden, but expected loneliness" from all the traveling around the world with his mother, which explains why he prefers to sleep in a tent (since that may be what he's most used to). And he clearly has a thing for Touko, feeling like the connection they shared was one that could maybe break him free from that loneliness. Yet, he still decides to go, instead of staying in the town where Touko is. Although it may just be that he still felt some guilt to push Touko into experiencing another vision.

But in the end, still can't say I enjoyed this as much as it did to make me think about it. Hell, even Yukinari brings up a seemingly meaningless question "Why is Johnathan the only Johnathan" (when all the others are named after philosophers). Was that supposed to be a nudge to get us to think about everything that has happened? If so, I think I'd rather read a book instead of an anime, which is meant to entertain. Guess this cup of tea was not meant for the masses.
Estoy_GordoSep 25, 2014 10:02 PM
Sep 25, 2014 9:57 PM

Feb 2014
For the haters: welcome to art anime.
Sep 25, 2014 9:59 PM

Mar 2012
I feel horrible for finishing this all the way through.
Sep 25, 2014 10:00 PM

Jul 2012
surfboard_ said:
For the haters: welcome to art anime.

Haters? Isn't that like most of the people who commented in this thread?
Sep 25, 2014 10:01 PM

May 2012
5/5 Great ending. I am going to miss this show immensely.
Sep 25, 2014 10:30 PM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:

Thats right.
Glasslip didnt went completely good in the production side and the pace set for each episode always let us wondering what that was about. Maybe if set in a film format it would be a lot better, rather than watching 20-min episodes per week to see an anti-thrilling ending. On the other hand, its a very sensible anime that reminds a lot of Ozu's films. I believe that most people's discontent is just because they can't feel it enough.
Sep 25, 2014 10:41 PM

Dec 2010
Well this episode was a lot like the rest of the series, beautiful, with great music, and fantastic character designs. And utter confusion, nonsense, and a general waste of time.

Although I would like to see more of Hina..

The series gets a 5/10, the lowest score I've given in a long time, possible ever.
Sep 25, 2014 10:47 PM

Jan 2014
Plot Twist: Johnathan is Kakeru
Sep 25, 2014 11:04 PM

Jan 2011
bastek66 said:
THAT WAS FUCKING NOTHING

The summery should be changed to this.
Sep 25, 2014 11:12 PM
Aug 2011
Why did I watch this again?
Sep 25, 2014 11:52 PM

Aug 2012
The hell kinda ending was that.
Sep 26, 2014 12:21 AM

Mar 2013
My goodness this show gave me cancer. Glad it's over.
Sep 26, 2014 12:40 AM

Jan 2011
surfboard_ said:
mayukachan said:

Thats right.
Glasslip didnt went completely good in the production side and the pace set for each episode always let us wondering what that was about. Maybe if set in a film format it would be a lot better, rather than watching 20-min episodes per week to see an anti-thrilling ending. On the other hand, its a very sensible anime that reminds a lot of Ozu's films. I believe that most people's discontent is just because they can't feel it enough.

This would make an awful movie. The reason why people are hating is because the development is awful. Try as you will to debate against that. The romance is paper thin. The dialogue is meaningless and has no impact. We never got to know our characters aside from a few spots of focus that, in the end, meant nothing. People are hating for reasons like that. This is a terrible romance/drama and the supernatural "future fragment" nonsense was a plot device that delivered NO PLOT. People who are breaking this down from episode 1 to 13 come to this conclusion. Looking superficially at this you may get some enjoyment out of it...but this wasn't suppose to be that kind of show.

It's not good. I'm happy for any of you that actually enjoyed it but this was bad. I give shows like this a serious eye since I love this genre. This is one of the worst shows of the genre I've ever scene especially since the bar was high for this one pre airing.

A flop. It's saving grace is a studio that animates very well...the little animation that there was.
IZEROIISep 26, 2014 12:44 AM
Sep 26, 2014 12:43 AM
Apr 2011
So, after reading almost all the comments I'm feeling more confused. I think that what realtalk2016 quoted from soulelle maybe kind of make sense. Or maybe the show really has no meaning at all. Hahaha. I would have to watch it again to have a stronger opinion.
For now I won't rate it. I refuse to rate something so low. It shouldn't be possible.
It shouldn't.

And this is my first comment. Meh.
Sep 26, 2014 12:48 AM

Nov 2007
This show was annoying from the start (Touko was painful to watch in the first few episodes)... then I started liking it better. I enjoyed the pointless slice-of-life ness and kept it true to its name.

Yes, it has no plot but I didn't think a slice of life anime needed a plot, that's the only reason why it's worth watching.

I didn't think I'd like it but in the end it was actually pretty enjoyable. Though... the ending could have been a lot better
Sep 26, 2014 12:54 AM
Jun 2014
People are looking too far into their anime, that's what I learned from this show and reading this forum. It's a slice-of-life, we got to see these characters doing every day things they normally do. Not everyone's interesting every minute of their life.

The show made me laugh and kept me entertained for 20 minutes every week. Wish the ending was more conclusive, there might be an OVA that clear some things up.
Sep 26, 2014 1:02 AM

Aug 2014
.__. I seriously feel like I've wasted a total of 6.5 hours of my life on this anime..
I was hoping the ending would give some redemption but nope = /..
Sep 26, 2014 1:31 AM

Dec 2013
Uhh what am I supposed to be feeling about this anime? I watched it weekly and was hoping for some drama or good story but I got nothing.
Bland characters. No emotions. No development. No good scenes that's worth looking back to. No story.

5/10 Worst P.A. Works by far.
The only thing good about it was the visual.
(Worse than Tari Tari)

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Sep 26, 2014 2:01 AM

Dec 2011
It finally has ended... at freaking last...
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Sep 26, 2014 2:13 AM

Feb 2013
Thank god that's over.
Sep 26, 2014 2:14 AM

Sep 2013
I'm glad I dropped this after the 3-episode limit, because it doesn't seem like it got any better.
Sep 26, 2014 2:25 AM

Sep 2013
That wasnt really the most satisfying ending. The show is boring overall. The directing is pretty bad, characters are underdeveloped and the storyline was mediocre at best. Its like PA works experimented a lot on this show but most of them ended up in failure. Well at least they tried.

I dont get it though why people are giving this a score as low as 1. That's just unjustified hate. There are a lot more shit anime out there that deserves scores like that and most of them have higher rating than this anime. I just feel like viewers are being way too harsh on glasslip.

anyway, 6/10
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Sep 26, 2014 2:32 AM

May 2013
Like srsly, what the fuck?
Sep 26, 2014 2:39 AM

Mar 2012
Yen50414 said:
People are looking too far into their anime, that's what I learned from this show and reading this forum. It's a slice-of-life, we got to see these characters doing every day things they normally do. Not everyone's interesting every minute of their life.

The show made me laugh and kept me entertained for 20 minutes every week. Wish the ending was more conclusive, there might be an OVA that clear some things up.

Here's where I think this series went wrong, and especially when we compare this to other P.A. Works anime.

They tried to make this anime more "atmospheric" and "artistic," however, the problem people are having with it (including myself) is that they didn't even bother trying to tell a story or build characters. A big reason why I kept watching this was due to it's atmospheric nature and mystery revolving around the "fragments of the future." I was okay with the slow pace. I'm more of a person who watches more for the characters than the plot, although this anime was a bit of an exception to the rule. I was interested in seeing how this would play out and how the "fragments of the future" storyline would play out. I do like supernatural elements in anime, so it piqued my interest. However, they essentially went nowhere with it. Okay, so did it at least develop it's characters? A little, but not nearly enough to make me emotionally invested. So was the story at least decent? Not really. It didn't make a whole lot of sense and episode 12 THREW ME FOR A COMPLETE FUCKING LOOP!

This is where it fails compared to other P.A. Works anime. Examples...

Nagi no Asukara - An interesting as all hell plot combined with gorgeous animation and an outstanding soundtrack made it worthwhile. While I did agree with a lot of people that the characters could be frustrating, the series did at least make things clear by the end. You know who ended up with who and it concluded everything that it needed to.

Uchoten Kazoku - This one was pretty much the exact opposite of Nagi no Asukara, but had the same effect. It's characters were OUTSTANDING and it's story was rather unique and interesting. Visually, it wasn't anything outstanding and I didn't care so much for it's soundtrack, although it fit the theme of the series. For me though, it built strong, unique, and likable characters and that's what made the series for me. The lessons behind it stressed the importance of family and that is something I can get behind.

RDG: Red Data Girl - Let it be known, I HATE THIS ANIME! However...even I'll admit it's better than Glasslip. At least RDG had a GORGEOUS artistic style and a breathtaking soundtrack. It did these things WAY better than Glasslip and at least it did a better job of explaining the supernatural elements, albeit I felt like some of it was rather bullshit in this series. At least they made sense of it...to some extent.

Another - The best features of this anime were it's creepy atmosphere and interesting plot. The dreary storytelling method and atmosphere had me coming back week-after-week to see who would die next and how it would all end. Overall, it was a decent series (even though I know there are a lot who would disagree with me) that had a rather satisfying ending (at least in my opinion). I also found it "conclusive" which is something Glasslip was not. While both Another and Glasslip were both mysterious in their own ways, Another had a better way of selling that mystery.

Hanasaku Iroha - Fantastic character development and a charming story. Of the comparisons so far, I'd say Hanasaku Iroha is probably the closest in comparison to Glasslip...since it fits more of the "slice of life" mold. However, Hanasaku FAR excels Glasslip because Hanasaku GAVE A DAMN ABOUT IT'S CHARACTERS. It actually took the time to develop each one, giving them their own personality quirks, and resolutions. Glasslip? Not even close.

Angel Beats - Uh oh, you knew someone was going to go there, didn't you? I'll say this right out. Angel Beats is (arguably) my favorite anime of all-time. I'm not saying it's the best anime of all-time, I'm saying it's my favorite (for personal reasons). With that being said, Angel Beats was atmospheric as well, but it's big selling point was being able to tell strong, gripping stories about the series' side characters to make you invested. Seeing each character get their own small story and resolution was comforting to me. While I'll admit, the finale was a bit on the weak side, at least it ended with the general idea of knowing what happened. Glasslip? It didn't tell gripping stories about any of it's characters, so I couldn't get emotionally invested in them.

I know, I know. I'm not making comparisons to all of P.A. Works' series. Tbh, I haven't seen all of them so I only made comparisons to the ones I saw.

The point I'm trying to make is P.A. Works is capable of FAR better than this. I truly thought RDG: Red Data Girl was going to be the worst anime I've ever seen P.A. Works make. It's a sad day when I actually need to DEFEND RDG when being compared to another P.A. Works anime.

The only way I can describe Glasslip is the cliched "it's all style and no substance." There was absolutely zero substance to this series whatsoever, so when it finally ended, all I felt was empty and discouraged. There was nothing I could take from this anime that made it feel it was worth watching (which sucks because I usually find at least one thing to take away from an anime, even the average ones).

I truly did not want to hate on Glasslip. I watched this series from 1 to 13 with the utmost hope the series would somehow find a way to make it work. It flat out didn't and left me with a sour taste in my mouth.
Sep 26, 2014 2:59 AM

May 2013
If anyone here played O2Jam then you should notice "Electro Fantasy" when Kakeru's mom played a 'dramatic piece'

Okay, the animation became more beautiful in this episode but its not like that P.A. Works really explained everything in this episode. I'm glad its over. Oh boy, I wonder if should I watch SHIROBAKO next month.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Sep 26, 2014 3:06 AM

Jun 2013
It's about time this ended. I really didn't enjoy this.. it was basically a train wreck from the very beginning. 2/10
Sep 26, 2014 3:49 AM

Feb 2014
So disappointing. Literally nothing progressed at all in any direction. I only watched this for the art..
Sep 26, 2014 3:50 AM

May 2009
KumaKing said:
It's about time this ended. I really didn't enjoy this.. it was basically a train wreck from the very beginning. 2/10

Traiwrecks are at least gripping and interesting, this is just boring shit.
Sep 26, 2014 4:42 AM

Feb 2012
What a ridiculous anime! So BASICALLY Kakero transferred to Touko and the gang's school over the summer just to leave with his mom before classes resume again? The only thing that added flavor to it was the "fragment seeing" factor, but that ended up being useless too since it didn't really lead to any development or direction what so ever. What a waaaaaaaste of production for that kind of nonsensical plot.

Plotwise, VERY disappointed with P.A. Works on this one. In terms of art, couldn't have asked for more...
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Sep 26, 2014 4:49 AM

Nov 2007
My faves are the hipsters in this thread who pretend they are intellectually superior and therefore understand what this trainwreck was about.................ha ha...

Artsy my ass...it was just soulless.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Can someone explain the end ?

Shomix - Dec 5, 2014

22 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 3, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

179 by oooo3333 »»
May 18, 2023 2:25 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2014

211 by oooo3333 »»
May 16, 2023 2:52 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

153 by oooo3333 »»
May 16, 2023 1:12 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

343 by oooo3333 »»
May 16, 2023 1:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.