Forum Settings
Forums

Just how can an anime be overrated? What is overrated anyway? And why isn't it underrated if put on a different perspective?

New
Sep 24, 2014 6:20 PM

Aug 2012
All right, as many of you know, it is a common opinion that anime like SAO, Shingeki no Kyojin or Naruto are overrated.

But just what is being overrated?

The word implies that its rating is bigger than what it should be. However, who determines the "correct" rating of something? One could argue that it depends on the person. So for example, let's say that One Piece has a 8.5 rating. In my opinion, it should be a 10, thus, One Piece is underrated? Of course not, One Piece being underrated is just possible from my point of view, it is impossible for me to say that "One Piece is an underrated anime", the correct phrasing would be "From my point of view, One Piece is underrated".

In other words, how is it possible that some anime are as a fact overrated/underrated? Who determines what is underrated and what isn't? Who determines the correct rating? Just who is behind all those things?
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 24, 2014 6:29 PM

Oct 2013
No anime is in fact overrated/underrated when you think about it. Overrated is a personal opinion by a person. So for eg. me saying hxh is overrated is just my opinion, it's not a fact. And this applies to every anime. It's a fact for me that it's overrated but not for everyone.

At the end of the day everything is subjective, same as how we all like different types of food. So all the series you listed are just overrated for some people, others that like those series think otherwise. Opinion, opinion, opinion. That's all.

You probably wont get that many reply since what you're saying is the truth.
keragammingSep 24, 2014 6:33 PM
Sep 24, 2014 6:45 PM
Jul 2018
It's not about you.
It's not who, it's whom.
Sep 24, 2014 6:50 PM

Nov 2013
When people call something overrated, the "In my opinion" part is usually implied.
Sep 24, 2014 6:56 PM

Sep 2012
When it comes to MAL rankings then there is no such thing as "Overrated", because MAL's rankings are essentially a popularity ranking, not a quality ranking, so people who have opinions in the minority are actually completely irrelevant.

But regardless, people here still use it as a word to describe an anime that's rated higher than an anime they liked better, according to MAL's rankings, which is rather stupid and conceited.

And then we have those who actually OBSESS over the ranks and blame the "bad rankings" on the "bad taste" of the people who use this site, which is about as conceited as it gets.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Sep 24, 2014 7:01 PM

Nov 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
-Tien- said:
When people call something overrated, the "In my opinion" part is usually implied.
No. It's implied fact.

Source?
Sep 24, 2014 7:08 PM

Oct 2013
-Tien- said:
Zergneedsfood said:
No. It's implied fact.

Source?

He means that it must be implied since it's a opinion.
Sep 24, 2014 7:11 PM

Jun 2012
What the heck.

I don't know Lupadim, who's rating is the term overrated meant to be relative to?
Sep 24, 2014 7:19 PM

Sep 2014
I think some people tend to overhype certain things for themselves when they hear so many good things about it and then when they watch it it didn't blow their minds away as much as they thought it should have. Some people just dislike popular things because they feel the need to think they have different tastes than most people regardless of how the actual work would normally appeal to them.

I think watching things with a clean slate is always important, when you hear too much hype about something you might walk out of it thinking it was just good but not great and then say it's overhyped, rather than compare it to all the works you've seen before and decide for yourself, wow the story, pacing, details, animation and music of this anime is actually really high quality compared to most works and that's why it's rated so high.

Instead people pick at minor details and tropes and plot devices in things like Attack on Titan and NGNL that literally apply to EVERY form of media and totally ignore the fact that the music, animation, attention to detail and overall quality of these anime is indisputably top notch and highly enjoyable to watch.
Sep 24, 2014 7:22 PM

Nov 2013
keragamming said:
-Tien- said:

Source?

I think that flew over your head. Ah well.
Sep 24, 2014 7:38 PM

Oct 2013
-Tien- said:
keragamming said:

I think that flew over your head. Ah well.

I guess it did.
Sep 24, 2014 7:40 PM

Jan 2013
This thread is objectively original and refreshing.

As top the OPs point, because if ratings are subjective, then people are allowed to have subjective opinions about the subjectivity of ratings.
Sep 24, 2014 7:41 PM

Mar 2013
Over/underrated is just when you disagree with the majority opinion as represented by a certain show's MAL rating.
Sep 24, 2014 7:43 PM

May 2012
People who use the term overrated, are usually compensating for the fact that they can't think of legitimate criticisms. Same with pretentious etc. If you use overrated and explain why, then the term holds some weight.

Overrated means you think it is rated too high in relation to the quality.
Sep 24, 2014 7:44 PM

Jan 2013
PoeticJustice said:
People who use the term overrated, are usually compensating for the fact that they can't think of legitimate criticisms. Same with pretentious etc. If you use overrated and explain why, then the term holds some weight.

I think you just don't know what pretentious means and you are projecting that lack of understanding onto others.

Pretentious has a defined meaning, you just don't seem to know what the meaning is.
Sep 24, 2014 7:48 PM

May 2012
SolviteSekai said:
PoeticJustice said:

I think you just don't know what pretentious means and you are projecting that lack of understanding onto others.

Pretentious has a defined meaning, you just don't seem to know what the meaning is.

Ok Freud.

I know its definition, So take your dime store psychology elsewhere. I was referring to people's overuse of the word on this site. I seldom use pretentious because in most cases I don't feel it is an appropriate criticism.
Sep 24, 2014 7:50 PM

Jan 2013
PoeticJustice said:
SolviteSekai said:

Ok Freud.

I know its definition, So take your dime store psychology elsewhere. I was referring to people's overuse of the word on this site. I seldom use pretentious because in most cases I don't feel it is an appropriate criticism.

>calls me Freud.

> Tries to sound as intelligent as humanly possible while insulting me.

Ok, sorry to offend you man, I didnt mean to start an argument or anything.
Sep 24, 2014 7:52 PM

Oct 2012
lupadim said:
overrated/underrated? Who determines what is underrated and what isn't? Who determines the correct rating? Just who is behind all those things?
The Illuminati obviously.
Sep 24, 2014 7:53 PM

Jul 2012
If more than 1 person likes anything, than its over-rated.
Sep 24, 2014 7:58 PM
Jul 2018
kurisubestgirl said:
I think some people tend to overhype certain things for themselves when they hear so many good things about it and then when they watch it it didn't blow their minds away as much as they thought it should have. Some people just dislike popular things because they feel the need to think they have different tastes than most people regardless of how the actual work would normally appeal to them.

I think watching things with a clean slate is always important, when you hear too much hype about something you might walk out of it thinking it was just good but not great and then say it's overhyped, rather than compare it to all the works you've seen before and decide for yourself, wow the story, pacing, details, animation and music of this anime is actually really high quality compared to most works and that's why it's rated so high.

Instead people pick at minor details and tropes and plot devices in things like Attack on Titan and NGNL that literally apply to EVERY form of media and totally ignore the fact that the music, animation, attention to detail and overall quality of these anime is indisputably top notch and highly enjoyable to watch.

Basically all of this.

People just like to blow shit out of proportion.
Korrvo said:
When it comes to MAL rankings then there is no such thing as "Overrated", because MAL's rankings are essentially a popularity ranking, not a quality ranking, so people who have opinions in the minority are actually completely irrelevant.

But regardless, people here still use it as a word to describe an anime that's rated higher than an anime they liked better, according to MAL's rankings, which is rather stupid and conceited.

And then we have those who actually OBSESS over the ranks and blame the "bad rankings" on the "bad taste" of the people who use this site, which is about as conceited as it gets.

Also all of this though these are just universal things, hardly exclusive to this site or any site or any form of media.

My opinion: I consider something overrated when it gets an immense amount of hype and hyperbolic praise from people around me but does not live up to any of it. For example, I consider Naruto overrated because it did not live up to all of the lofty expectations that people caused me to have and for the most part, I don't get anything out of the show. None of that has anything to do with its popularity; I really could not give less of a damn about how mainstream/"obvious" etc it is. It's because people around me hyped it up. I consider Kaze no Stigma overrated for the same reason.
Sep 24, 2014 8:01 PM

Nov 2012
Overrated is when it's rated over the rating you think it deserves and underrated is when it's rated under the rating you think it deserves.
Sep 24, 2014 8:07 PM

Oct 2013
PoeticJustice said:

LMAO! look who's talking.
Sep 24, 2014 8:07 PM

Jun 2012
I see that Lupadim is still doing the same old shenanigans.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Sep 24, 2014 8:10 PM

May 2012
keragamming said:
PoeticJustice said:

lol. Your only criticism of anything is that its "boring. That is a cop out. Maybe if you had some well thought out criticisms maybe you wouldn't get as much flak as you do.
Sep 24, 2014 8:11 PM

Jan 2013
keragamming said:
PoeticJustice said:

your sig is a huge spoiler and you should change it,.
Sep 24, 2014 8:13 PM

Oct 2013
PoeticJustice said:
keragamming said:

lol. Your only criticism of anything is that its "boring. That is a cop out. Maybe if you had some well thought out criticisms maybe you wouldn't get as much flak as you do.

I did a hxh review. Go read it. :P

SolviteSekai said:
keragamming said:

your sig is a huge spoiler and you should change it,.

Ah...... but it's in the anime? but I guess you're right, since not everyone has completed this series yet. I'll change it.
Sep 24, 2014 8:20 PM

May 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
PoeticJustice said:
lol. Your only criticism of anything is that its "boring.
I do that too. o/

It's the best way to write things off while simultaneously dissolving yourself responsibility of having to say anything critical about the show other than "this was more effective than Nyquil."

You can also pretend you understood everything and merely said it was all bosh and that it made you fall asleep because of its boshness.

WHAT BOSH.

Lol. I don't get bored by anime easily. Maybe it is different for most people, but I can watch things slow or fast paced.

@Keragamming

I did read it, and disagreed with it 99% of it But I gave it a helpful because you put some thought and effort into it.
Sep 24, 2014 8:26 PM

May 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
PoeticJustice said:
Lol. I don't get bored by anime easily. Maybe it is different for most people, but I can watch things slow or fast paced.
Obviously I only get bored when it's objectively bad. :P

Oh I see....

>Gave Angel Beats a 7

Never knew Zerg had a soft spot for Angel Beats.
Sep 24, 2014 8:27 PM

Jan 2013
PoeticJustice said:
Zergneedsfood said:
Obviously I only get bored when it's objectively bad. :P

Oh I see....

>Gave Angel Beats a 7

Never knew Zerg had a soft spot for Angel Beats.

>implying a 7 on mal is a good rating.
Sep 24, 2014 8:31 PM

May 2012
7 on the rating list means good. I hate when people make their own score system. Screws everything up.

@Zerg

You get a pass....this time.
Sep 24, 2014 8:31 PM

Jan 2013
PoeticJustice said:
7 on the rating list means good. I hate when people make their own score system. Screws everything up.

@Zerg

7 on mal means average.

Source: Infinite Stratos is rated 7.
Sep 24, 2014 8:34 PM

Jul 2013
PoeticJustice said:

@Zerg

MAL's ratings are silly

the difference between a 7 and 8 is Good or Very Good but the difference between a 9 and 10 is Great or Masterpiece? Um no.
Sep 24, 2014 8:43 PM
Feb 2014
Korrvo said:

My words exactly, thanks for putting it forward. Let me add on to it.

It's rather difficult to truly tell what's overrated and underrated because there is literally no singular anime fan or let alone, and god forbid, no singular "code of conduct" that anime fans should live under unless a cult trains you to be that way and so forth. You know, there actually are such things on this site, it's rather sad. Here's exactly why the O/U thread has always gone nowhere, the same old recycled thoughts would get thrown out and never would there be a change in scenery.

If people truly believe there's is something objectively better than something else, they're not being smart, they're being narcissistic. They're assuming that only THEIR opinion is correct and no one else's. People confuse objectivity with underration, now that's the truly sad part about some of these people. Really, I don't know what logic they follow under. Their comebacks to this argument? Either one of "Oh I've seen well over 2000+ titles so I know more about you hurrdurr" or "Well maybe if your taste wasn't so and so you'd understand why I'm correct." Seriously, how much of a fucking pretentious brat can you be? It's like they're making their choices to praise equally as pretentious as their viewpoints. It's incessant, it's annoying, it's over-recycled, it's almost too old now, it's a joke.

Obsession with one's taste is a bad thing for anime discussion in general, when it's you against the rest of MAL, you should be able to embrace the fact that people aren't entirely like you, and that you're never right. Can I accept that I like series that people find "shit?" Sure, why the fuck not. I take pride in what I like and it seems like others cannot see that. Better yet, I wonder if half of these "tastes" are even real or facades used to impress those who always post here and might seem smart, but are entirely empty as can be.

tl;dr version: Get your head out of your ass and accept that there is no such thing as overrated/underrated. It's a site you're using your basis for, not the actual anime themselves. Quality IS subjective and always will be because only a person knows this, not a mass.
Sep 24, 2014 9:01 PM

Oct 2013
"I wonder if half of these "tastes" are even real or facades used to impress those who always post here and might seem smart, but are entirely empty as can be."

I always sometimes wonder this as well, trying to fit in? Some of these users are definitely following the "elitist crowd" have you ever look at people that call them self elitist and look at their profile and you'll realize a lot of similarities in their anime list? Like giving most of the mainstream anime low score, Like out of nowhere all of them somehow don't like mainstream anime, I bet most of them like some mainstream anime, but they will score them low just to fit in the "elitist group" I bet there is some undercover sao fans that are being elitist around here. ;)

Maybe I'm thinking too much in to this, but it doesn't seem like a coincidence at all.
keragammingSep 24, 2014 9:04 PM
Sep 24, 2014 9:17 PM

Feb 2013
I don't see the words "underrated" and "overrated" as words setting facts straight. I see their usages as to show people with relatively similar interests to you what they will likely think of said thing, although it is seemingly bad/good to most people. So it does depend on the person. Although average ratings are helpful, they can't correctly detail everyone how they will feel about a series.
Sep 24, 2014 9:19 PM

Jan 2014
Your favourite anime is overrated. My favourite anime is underrated.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 24, 2014 9:29 PM
Jul 2018
keragamming said:
"I wonder if half of these "tastes" are even real or facades used to impress those who always post here and might seem smart, but are entirely empty as can be."

I always sometimes wonder this as well, trying to fit in? Some of these users are definitely following the "elitist crowd" have you ever look at people that call them self elitist and look at their profile and you'll realize a lot of similarities in their anime list? Like giving most of the mainstream anime low score, Like out of nowhere all of them somehow don't like mainstream anime, I bet most of them like some mainstream anime, but they will score them low just to fit in the "elitist group" I bet there is some undercover sao fans that are being elitist around here. ;)

That's one of the reasons I've opted out of scoring anything here on MAL.
The inaccuracy is real.

Also,
According to the rules of the internet:
0-4/10 Horrible
5/10 Bad
6/10 Below Average
7/10 Average
8/10 Good
9/10 Great
10/10 Excellent or Masterpiece

This has never changed, ever.
Sep 24, 2014 9:31 PM

Nov 2010
An anime is overrated if it gets more praise or has a higher score than I think its actual quality is at.

lupadim said:
One Piece has a 8.5 rating. In my opinion, it should be a 10, thus, One Piece is underrated?
That is correct.
Sep 24, 2014 9:32 PM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
An anime is overrated if it gets more praise or has a higher score than I think its actual quality is at.

lupadim said:
One Piece has a 8.5 rating. In my opinion, it should be a 10, thus, One Piece is underrated?
That is correct.

Except one piece sucks so it is incorrect.
Sep 24, 2014 9:33 PM

Nov 2010
SolviteSekai said:
IntroverTurtle said:

That is correct.

No, last time I checked it was the best anime ever made. You turn your brain off and then turn it back on? That often fixes most problems.
Sep 24, 2014 9:33 PM
Dec 2013
keragamming said:

Maybe I'm thinking too much in to this, but it doesn't seem like a coincidence at all.
I know right. Also some just chuck in shows like Mushishi, LoGH, Utena and score it 10 because the "elitist" crowd have it in their favourites.
Sep 24, 2014 9:34 PM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
SolviteSekai said:

No, last time I checked it was just another battle shounen. You turn your brain off and then turn it back on?

FIFY

But then again >14 years old.
Sep 24, 2014 9:37 PM

Apr 2012
Self-perceived score vs MAL score

Self-perceived score > MAL score - underrated

Self-perceived score < MAL score - overrated

All subjective ofc

Sep 24, 2014 9:38 PM

Nov 2011
SolviteSekai said:
PoeticJustice said:

@Zerg

7 on mal means average.

I must think half the stuff I watch sucks, then. What a sad revelation this is.

A lot of people have their own rating scale. I think people should check others' profile before making assumptions about their ratings.

OT: Overrated means the anime is highly popular when the story quality isn't very high. Underrated means that the story quality is high, but the anime isn't watched by many. Same for manga.
Sep 24, 2014 9:38 PM

Jan 2013
Zeally said:
Self-perceived score vs MAL score

Self-perceived score > MAL score = pretentious

Self-perceived score < MAL score = fan service

All subjective ofc

FIFY

TripleSRank said:
SolviteSekai said:

7 on mal means average.

A lot of people have their own rating scale. I think people should check others' profile before making assumptions about their ratings.

OT: Overrated means the anime is highly popular when the story quality isn't very high. Underrated means that the story quality is high, but the anime isn't watched by many. Same for manga.

Implying that Story is the end all be all most important part.

Implying its weird for you to say half the anime you watch sucks when practically everyone on mal does that.
Sep 24, 2014 9:41 PM
Feb 2014
TripleSRank said:
SolviteSekai said:

7 on mal means average.

Nope. Overrated and underrated in anime doesn't exist. Please scientifically prove it before I can cede.
Sep 24, 2014 9:42 PM

Jan 2013
Over Rated = Ecchi, fan service, Kyo-Ani, Moe

Under Rated = Battle Shounen, Music, Tragedy, Vampires, mind break. urobuchi
Sep 24, 2014 9:47 PM

Jun 2014
People feel a show is overrated when it performs less than their expectations, but is still popular.

Sep 24, 2014 9:53 PM

Oct 2013
ScazoN said:
keragamming said:

I know right. Also some just chuck in shows like Mushishi, LoGH, Utena and score it 10 because the "elitist" crowd have it in their favourites.

Yep, it's very easy to put yourself in the elitist group. Simple don't score any mainstream anime high and you're fine. Yea, and add logh and some other anime of that nature in your favorite list and you're finish completing your elitist training.
Sep 24, 2014 9:55 PM

Sep 2014
Its personal opinion really, for example: I think naruto is overrated, bad story, boring fights, unoriginal, etc, yet it's rated what? 8.0? It shud be 5.0, so I think its overrated and many wud agree and many won't. Its really just how u describe an anime to someone
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Disney Anime Chief: More "Acceptable" Expressions Are Necessary for the Wider Market

deg - 1 hour ago

11 by ColourWheel »»
1 minute ago

» name a non-anime you think is better than 80% of anime

Kenzolo-folk - 3 hours ago

25 by alshu »»
3 minutes ago

» Characters That Feel Out Of Place

FanofAction - 60 minutes ago

18 by FanofAction »»
10 minutes ago

» Successor to "Isekai"

NostalgiaDrive94 - May 13

27 by BigBoyAdvance »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you want anime in 4k(or in 8k) ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Jan 25, 2022

55 by BigBoyAdvance »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.