Forum Settings
Forums

Spotlight Character: Julian Minci (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

New
How would you rate this character?
Oct 30, 2009 10:11 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Character: Julian Minci (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

MAL Character Information Page: Julian Minci

MAL Favorites: 3

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character moulds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Julian Minci was NOT inducted into the club Character list:
8 Yes - 24.2%
25 No - 75.8%

47 Don't know this character - 55.9% of the total number polled
4 Abstained - 4.7% of the total number polled
santetjanNov 9, 2009 3:56 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 30, 2009 5:39 PM

Oct 2008
My personal favorite LOGH character.

Anyway that aside, he's awesome. You'd never guess where he'd end up after seeing him for the first time at the start of the series. I'll probably type more later but right now i cbf
Oct 31, 2009 12:39 AM
Oct 2008
I don't like him very much at all.

I think he made too big a difference for someone so young, had too many good things happen for him.

I had felt that the narrative sold him too hard to be the 'likeable' or 'identifieable' character for the young readers and viewers of the show, especially among the more mature lot in Yang's command.

Granted, he was on a character (narrative) trajectory on par with Sigfried Kircheis, and he did compare himself to him when they met at Iserlohn during the prisoner exchange.

That said, I like how in the end, more than being a legendary general like Yang, he became the historian he never was -- and privy to the best kind of history a historian could ever want.

This end I believe, makes the Julian Minci character/story exemplary. More than young guy saves the universe, he is a witness to the legend of the galaxy's heroes. I only wish he wasn't so centrally heroic.
Oct 31, 2009 12:41 PM

Dec 2007
So far he is one of my least favourite characters. Like, one point above Oberstein.

Seems that he does not have much of a life as of episode 66. Will not be able to vote, anyway.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Oct 31, 2009 1:48 PM

Feb 2008
If the four characters from the LoGH rostrum already inducted represent the batch of characters that are brilliant, flamboyant, charismatic and/or plain unorthodox, Julian Minci is the first one spotlighted of the second group of characters, which includes, among others, Mittermeyer, both Mariendorfs, Cazellnu and Frederica Greenhill, who are simply decent and composed, not brilliant but merely extremely competent. If the Lohengramms and Yangs of the show are the Instigators, characters who are pivotal in establishing the change in the socio-political system the setting takes place in by their thoughts and actions, Minci c.s. are the Followers, those who build upon what others have started - and who do most of the actual work in terms of administration, logistic and what have you not.
There is another thing all of them have in common: they survived.

This simple fact goes a long way in explaining the character concept behind Minci. As the show as a whole tells the story of the 'legend' of the 'heroes', the curtain falls with the death of the last of the great 'heroes', leaving the merely mortal to clean up and build a house on the foundations left to them.
Minci cannot, therefore, be as evocative and as present as any of the actual 'heroes'. As a chronicler and administrator he always must play second fiddle to those more important than he is, both in his actual political role and his character, which by necessity must be a bit subdued and overawed. To a certain extent, this is pronounced too strongly: Julian has a tendency to be the simple boor to Yang's Socrates, proclaiming every single one of Yang's words to be the pinnacle of wisdom and duly giving the right answer to each of Yang's Socratic questions. To top it off, when he becomes an important member of what can be termed the Alliance's government-in-exile, his approach to each and every political issue consists of asking himself what Yang would have done.
This doesn't give him much in the way of a character of himself, sometimes becoming positively annoying in his unfounded belief that everything will work out.
As said, though, that is his role, and it is played out well. In many ways he is the mouthpiece of the view of the at least mostly intelligent bystander who witnesses the greater clash of the titans and comments on it as someone who knows he is not on their level. He is shown as being intelligent, if not exactly wise in the ways of the world, capable at what he does and, most importantly, modest, and his character is put to good use as a means to emphasise the political and military situation of the remaining Alliance forces after Yang's demise. In particular, it is interesting to note how he is made the commander-in-chief of the military simply by association with Yang, and is fully aware - and appreciative - of the fact that he is mostly a figurehead. It's also interesting to note that the show from that point onwards really does not pay much attention to the military side of the struggle, as it's a foregone conclusion that, with what remains of the Alliance leadership under Minci, the Empire will win - and contrast this to the room given to Reuenthal's rebellion, the conclusion of which was equally well-known up-front.

It is a bit of a surprise, then, that he was given so much screen-time in the Earth expedition side-story, which in itself was of a strangely small scale and was one of the more problematic fits inside the greater story. While that arc fleshed out the setting a bit more, it also seemed as if the intention was to given Minci a bit more of an opportunity to become his own character, likely to set him up for his expanded role later on.
Sadly, that didn't work out very well. His function there was part action-hero and part narrator, which meant that he remained somewhat flat. The whole part also didn't fit very well within his greater role.
The same applies to most other attempts to make him better fleshed-out, such as his crush on Frederica and subsequent night of drinking, his conversation with Müller or his being the typical unwitting male in his relationship with von Kreuzer. These additions did much to make him more human, but little to make him an outstanding character.

Julian Minci wasn't meant to be a particularly endearing or well-developed character. He was mostly there to add lustre to the real protagonists and to be shown as someone who would be able to continue their work. In his role, he excels: capable, modest and devoted he is set as an administrator, politician and historian. As a character, there is simply a bit too little to him outside of what he was meant to bring.
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Oct 31, 2009 11:33 PM

Oct 2008
ladyxzeus said:
So far he is one of my least favourite characters. Like, one point above Oberstein.

Seems that he does not have much of a life as of episode 66. Will not be able to vote, anyway.

He takes the stage in the second half anyway.
Nov 3, 2009 12:05 AM

Jun 2009
In a show that just so happens to have great characters like Yang Wenli, Reinhard von Lohengramm, Oskar von Reuenthal, and Wolfgang Mittermeyer I think that Julian stands out as one of the least outstanding.

Santetjan is correct in saying that Julian was never supposed to really be a "hero" like the others and he always seems to be in the background compared to the others. For much of the last season, for example, the story focuses mostly on the empire and I was left wondering what exactly was going on with Julian's side of the story. Then, in many ways, Julian takes center stage in the final episodes.

If you think about it, it's a compelling story of the "student" taking over for his "master" with the master, obviously, being Yang. But, Julian is obviously not Yang and he is forced to realize that. So, if you think about it, him always thinking to himself "what would Yang Wenli do?" Isn't so much a reflection of Julian's weakness so much as it is a sign of just how much an undeniable presence Yang was.

As a character, Julian is very well done because he is one of the few normal people who contribute to the galaxy and he's also very down to earth compared to the others, except for Yang. He doesn't particularly stand out but, in a lot of ways, the story is really told from his point of view, at least when concerning Yang. And who can forget his journey through the corridors to meet the Kaiser at the end of the series? That took guts.

That said, I want to vote for him but there are so many LOGH characters, all of which are way more recognizable and interesting than Julian, already that I think it is unfair to vote yes to all of them. On the other hand, this series has such a great cast of unique individuals that I think it would be a disservice to not vote for him. So, i'm undecided for now.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 3, 2009 1:22 AM

Mar 2008
I agree with insan3: Julian is a powerful image of the outstanding pupil (to Yang's unorthodox mentor), but he is also a compelling character in his own right. He and Yang share a very unique relationship with eachother and with their fleet, as Julian is established as the caretaker for both Yang and, in extension, Iserlohn, even though Yang would be viewed as its indisputable father figure. While he spent the first 82 (;___;) episodes largely in Yang's shadow, he proves himself to be a tactical genius of Yang's calibre, gaining the respect of both his subordinates and of his opponents. And through all this, Julian is still a teenager by and large. While he is much more reserved and logical than most, he still carries the insecurities and indecision of youth and inexperience. Both before and after his command, Julian is deftly portrayed as an individual in which both Yang's technical prowess and personal youthful inexperience appear in equlibrium. While, as santetjan said, Reinhard, Yang, Oberstein, et al. would be viewed as the titular 'heroes' of the series, Julian is the boy caught between heroism and restraint.

While Julian would appear as a powerful leading character in most series, it is precisely because he is in LoGH that he seems to lack the presence of the aforementioned; he is simply overshadowed by the ones Yang would call the shapers of history. I don't believe that this makes him seem a 'weaker' character in comparison. In fact, I'd understand the inclination that he gains a certain sense of realism and relatability because he is not portrayed as a figurehead.

As my thoughts are still somewhat muddled and the like, I'm also undecided as to whether I think he deserves a spot on the right. But in a sense, it's somewhat fitting that, were he to be voted in, his surname would leave him isolated from the four other 'heroes' at the bottom.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.