Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

What is your opinion of the current One Piece compared to before? (Multiple Untagged Spoilers)

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 19, 2014 12:35 AM

Mar 2012

I'll list one and see how you're gonna act: Kuma sending SH to exact locations, knowing the exact coordinates, means not only that the world has been charted, but people can actually navigate via coordinates. Not only does that render the Log Poses useless, but it contradicts with the idea that you can't go around without them.
rodacSep 19, 2014 8:45 PM
End Zionazism
Sep 19, 2014 1:08 AM

Oct 2013
Mikasa said:
Fantasee said:

I said that's the probable scenario. The key word is probable, which means I wasn't talking in absolutes. Nice attempt to spin my words though.

I wanted you to list them so I could attempt to refute them. I'm not just going to look at your list of supposed plotholes and plug my ears. I'll try to explain to you why I believe they aren't. But if you don't want to name them, that's fine too I guess.

Doesn't change the fact that your behavour was dismissive fanboyism.
I'll list one and see how you're gonna act: Kuma sending SH to exact locations, knowing the exact coordinates, means not only that the world has been charted, but people can actually navigate via coordinates. Not only does that render the Log Poses useless, but it contradicts with the idea that you can't go around without them.

It always existed the eternal poses!
It was never said that it didn't existed any chart of parts of the world/of the grand line. In reality it was never said that there wasn't a chart of the world. The only thing said was that Nami wanted to chart all the world.
Kuma ability was presented as the ability to send people to a place of his knowledge. How is that harder to believe than a guy with rubber body? He did something like that way in Thriller Bark, did you thought that was a plot hole when he sent Perona to her "Vacation"?

Also you're confusing location with navigation. You may know where someplace his, their exact coordinates, but when you're navigating with a vehicle that can go astray due to external forces, like ships and planes, you need to have a reference all the time, and so that is why a compass is needed and used. Not because the coordinates aren't known! There was never said that the coordinates of the places weren't known. In reality the countries of the world government have close relationships, they even have a meeting every some years(I believe is 4, but I'm not sure). Is hard to believe that the countries don't know the locations of each others.
The locations are only not known to the Strawhat and to us the readers. Not to the rest of the people.
Given that Kuma ability doesn't go directly to the place and it doesn't go astray, than it doesn't need any kind of compass, to send somebody there.
bigivelfhqSep 19, 2014 1:14 AM
Sep 19, 2014 1:20 AM

Mar 2012
@big
I know and agree, but while Nami stated that the GL cannot be simply navigated by coordination due to said forces, now... if it were a matter of reference points/levels, and Kuma's ability can defy said external forces and accomplish such great accuracy, then he could really send people anywhere. Including...

And are calm belts really charted from the inside?
Skyislands too?
Not to mention the Cross-Redline sending.
And sensing Perona from a ship, how did he know his exact location, the ship did move iirc, does he have GPS or something?

Nami has drawn many maps, she must know some coordinates.
There must be some books and maps over the years concerning SOME islands at least.
Not all books were in Ohara you know
MikasaSep 19, 2014 1:24 AM
End Zionazism
Sep 19, 2014 2:26 AM

Oct 2013
Mikasa said:
@big
I know and agree, but while Nami stated that the GL cannot be simply navigated by coordination due to said forces, now... if it were a matter of reference points/levels, and Kuma's ability can defy said external forces and accomplish such great accuracy, then he could really send people anywhere. Including...

Skyislands too?
And sensing Perona from a ship, how did he know his exact location, the ship did move iirc, does he have GPS or something?

There must be some books and maps over the years concerning SOME islands at least.

The forces I'm talking is wind and sea currents! Still today people use compasses(normally the computer automatically makes the calculations and tells where the boat is and where is going) even when knowing the coordinates.

Crocus(not Nami) explained that Grand Line can't be traveled with a normal compass because it uses magnetic field and the Grand Line is full of them. That has nothing to do with coordinates. The reason a compass is used when traveling by boat is not because of location(coordinates), but because of the direction of the vehicle.

Kuma could send people anywhere. Anywhere that he knew about! And the important word here is "could". I don't see the problem of Kuma discovering where Raftel is and still not sending nobody there.
You know, a person ability to do something doesn't mean he has to do it. Also note that the only people that know where Raftel is, only people that said that it existed, are Gold D. Roger and his crew, something that Kuma didn't made part of.
Saying that is a plot hole that Kuma can send people to Raftel and doesn't do it, is the same to say that Rayleigh, Shanks and Buggy(Is possible that Shanks and Buggy didn't know the place because they were apprentices and maybe didn't went with crew at that time) know where Raftel is and not going there or sending somebody there is a plot hole.
Note that Kuma was only helping the Straw Hat to escape from Kizaru.

About the calm belts. The Marines travel trough them, the Kuja pirates too and probably the World Government as well(including the tenryuubito). Rayleigh knew where the Amazon Lily was, he even went there swimming and he and Hancock knew where the island Luffy trained Haki was. Most certainly there is a chart, and if there isn't one, isn't hard to make one.

Some Sky Islands certainly are. Not only in Skypiea people knew where others Sky Islands were, but when Nami was with that old guy, he knew where other sky islands were. It was shown in the SBS and maybe even in her section of the story when she was there.

What the problem of sending somebody across the redline? You know that it isn't indefinitely high right? Fisher Tiger climbed it with his bare hands. Also the specificity of how Kuma would send somebody across the redline isn't known, because we didn't saw him doing it even once.

You're nitpicking. Thriller bark was stopped at that moment just drifting, they were in the Florian Triangle(known location) and to had to it Kuma is a Pacifista.
Even without that there wouldn't exist a problem. Do you know with is suspension of disbelief. Kuma has a devil fruit that permits him to send people to a certain location. The way of how he sends them is not described. So we readers just believe it works. he doesn't even need to know where he is right now. Discussing the degree of precision and the kind of information that he would need to send someone to a certain place is certainly nitpicking.

Coordinates of what? She lived all her life in the East Blue, an Ocean. Are you saying that she should have known coordinates of the Grand line?
You know that the Grand Line is inhabited by a lot of countries and people right? Like Drum island, Alabasta, Water 7 and connected islands, Sabaondy Archipelago. Of course there are maps and coordinates for the islands of the Grand Line. Robin when she was villain she even knew maritime routes to go to Alabasta, and even knew about Little Garden.
Also, During the Timeskip she was studying in the Sky Island about the islands in the New World. She studied at least about the island that rained permanent Thunders, that was shown.
Sep 19, 2014 3:30 AM

Apr 2014
this thing again? don't you have another more interesting plothole rather than this make-believe plothole?
Sep 19, 2014 3:45 AM

Jun 2014
Pre TS One piece is more enjoyable than post TS imo, at least for the moment. Arcs have become unneccessarily long and the pacing is mind numbingly slow ( this is particularly true for the anime). However, the thing I like the most about one piece is still well executed (world building). I liked the comedy in pre ts op ( the best of any shonen I know) but lately it's become very annoying like one infamous Sanji moment. Overall It's still enjoyable and will probably pick up soon.

As for the Plot hole discussion, well Oda should be given credit for creating such a long manga with not too many of them. I can't think of any major one but if we're talking about smaller ones then off the top of my head, there are several I can list:

1- Sanji didn't know that people that eat DF can't swim when he first meets Luffy, but in TB saga he said that he used to read a book about DFs and that he knew about the abilities It gave and weakness they had.

2- Zoro knew in the TB saga what a Samurai is, he doesn't know it anymore.( haven't read this since so it maybe a translation mistake or memory loss or something like that)

3- Pell survives the explosion of a nuke.(the biggest one)

4- Mr.3 floating ( Oda retconned this in an SBS and the anime included a piece of "super floating wood" but the manga has no such thing so it's a manga only plothole).

5- Sanji's diable jambe. This is a plot hole as well as an asspull. The explanation given to it pre ts is that Sanji spins his leg at high speeds which causes their ignition through friction. I know that One piece's world has different laws of Physics but my problem is that there were characters much faster than Sanji back then ( like luffy) so why don't they ignite due to friction too? Post time skip, his power doesn't even make sense so I will just wait for Oda's explanation.( the real explanation not the joke he said about "Sanji's heart").

6- Where does Nami keep her climatact? Absalom's zombie tailor didn't see it when he undressed her but later she pulls it out of her wedding dress. ( I'm not sure if this is a plot hole.

etc.

I don't think the Raftel one can be called a plot hole right now for reasons mentioned as well as for the fact that Oda will probably explore it again later.
Sep 19, 2014 4:42 AM

Jan 2014
Agafin said:
Pre TS One piece is more enjoyable than post TS imo, at least for the moment. Arcs have become unneccessarily long and the pacing is mind numbingly slow ( this is particularly true for the anime). However, the thing I like the most about one piece is still well executed (world building). I liked the comedy in pre ts op ( the best of any shonen I know) but lately it's become very annoying like one infamous Sanji moment. Overall It's still enjoyable and will probably pick up soon.

As for the Plot hole discussion, well Oda should be given credit for creating such a long manga with not too many of them. I can't think of any major one but if we're talking about smaller ones then off the top of my head, there are several I can list:

1- Sanji didn't know that people that eat DF can't swim when he first meets Luffy, but in TB saga he said that he used to read a book about DFs and that he knew about the abilities It gave and weakness they had.

2- Zoro knew in the TB saga what a Samurai is, he doesn't know it anymore.( haven't read this since so it maybe a translation mistake or memory loss or something like that)

4- Mr.3 floating ( Oda retconned this in an SBS and the anime included a piece of "super floating wood" but the manga has no such thing so it's a manga only plothole).

5- Sanji's diable jambe. This is a plot hole as well as an asspull. The explanation given to it pre ts is that Sanji spins his leg at high speeds which causes their ignition through friction. I know that One piece's world has different laws of Physics but my problem is that there were characters much faster than Sanji back then ( like luffy) so why don't they ignite due to friction too? Post time skip, his power doesn't even make sense so I will just wait for Oda's explanation.( the real explanation not the joke he said about "Sanji's heart").

6- Where does Nami keep her climatact? Absalom's zombie tailor didn't see it when he undressed her but later she pulls it out of her wedding dress. ( I'm not sure if this is a plot hole.

etc.

I don't think the Raftel one can be called a plot hole right now for reasons mentioned as well as for the fact that Oda will probably explore it again later.

2/10. But you can "Tryyy againnn!!"
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 19, 2014 5:52 AM

Nov 2010
Agafin said:

etc.

When people try to list One Piece plotholes and all they can come up with is this petty stuff - it really makes me proud of Oda.
Sep 19, 2014 5:58 AM

Mar 2012
bigivelfhq said:
Mikasa said:
@big

Skyislands too?

The forces I'm talking is wind and sea currents! Still today people use compasses(normally the computer automatically makes the calculations and tells where the boat is and where is going) even when knowing the coordinates.

Crocus(not Nami) explained that Grand Line can't be traveled with a normal compass because it uses magnetic field and the Grand Line is full of them. That has nothing to do with coordinates. The reason a compass is used when traveling by boat is not because of location(coordinates), but because of the direction of the vehicle.

Kuma could send people anywhere. Anywhere that he knew about! And the important word here is "could". I don't see the problem of Kuma discovering where Raftel is and still not sending nobody there.
You know, a person ability to do something doesn't mean he has to do it. Also note that the only people that know where Raftel is, only people that said that it existed, are Gold D. Roger and his crew, something that Kuma didn't made part of.
Saying that is a plot hole that Kuma can send people to Raftel and doesn't do it, is the same to say that Rayleigh, Shanks and Buggy(Is possible that Shanks and Buggy didn't know the place because they were apprentices and maybe didn't went with crew at that time) know where Raftel is and not going there or sending somebody there is a plot hole.
Note that Kuma was only helping the Straw Hat to escape from Kizaru.

About the calm belts. The Marines travel trough them, the Kuja pirates too and probably the World Government as well(including the tenryuubito). Rayleigh knew where the Amazon Lily was, he even went there swimming and he and Hancock knew where the island Luffy trained Haki was. Most certainly there is a chart, and if there isn't one, isn't hard to make one.

Some Sky Islands certainly are. Not only in Skypiea people knew where others Sky Islands were, but when Nami was with that old guy, he knew where other sky islands were. It was shown in the SBS and maybe even in her section of the story when she was there.

What the problem of sending somebody across the redline? You know that it isn't indefinitely high right? Fisher Tiger climbed it with his bare hands. Also the specificity of how Kuma would send somebody across the redline isn't known, because we didn't saw him doing it even once.

You're nitpicking. Thriller bark was stopped at that moment just drifting, they were in the Florian Triangle(known location) and to had to it Kuma is a Pacifista.
Even without that there wouldn't exist a problem. Do you know with is suspension of disbelief. Kuma has a devil fruit that permits him to send people to a certain location. The way of how he sends them is not described. So we readers just believe it works. he doesn't even need to know where he is right now. Discussing the degree of precision and the kind of information that he would need to send someone to a certain place is certainly nitpicking.

Coordinates of what? She lived all her life in the East Blue, an Ocean. Are you saying that she should have known coordinates of the Grand line?
You know that the Grand Line is inhabited by a lot of countries and people right? Like Drum island, Alabasta, Water 7 and connected islands, Sabaondy Archipelago. Of course there are maps and coordinates for the islands of the Grand Line. Robin when she was villain she even knew maritime routes to go to Alabasta, and even knew about Little Garden.
Also, During the Timeskip she was studying in the Sky Island about the islands in the New World. She studied at least about the island that rained permanent Thunders, that was shown.

I guess you're right, except for 3 points:

1- The major difference here is not the ease of access but necessity.
Without the Log Pose it would be near impossible to land on the islands of GL by navigating, by calculating speed, direction and relative distance. That was the point emphasized.

2- Kuma, if his power were to be as we described it, then he's have to know the exact location.
3- general follow up to #2, for coordinates, they need to know the relative distance from one point to the other, if all these islands so far apart were charted, it would mean the a great portion of the world has been detailed very well, that in itself is not a plot hole, but the fact goes against what was establised so far; great connections like these would minimize the distance (metaphorically i.e globalization), there would be no time difference as we's see in Little Garden, and such. The entire establishment of the GL being this untamed place seems off with that in mind.

As for Nami, she doesn't gave access to any info about GL? Hasn't any passed somewhere?
Redline's issue, it's about being able to send them both(or four)-ways.
The traversibility of the world is very shaky, is it almost completely charted? Is it
Not at all? Or almost there? Etc?
End Zionazism
Sep 19, 2014 12:09 PM

Aug 2007
Agafin said:

etc.

1) Mistranslation.

2) Mistranslation.

3) Just because somebody survived something that they should have died from does not make it a plot hole. That's ridiculous.

4) http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Kuuigosu

5) Not even close to being a plot hole.

6) Same as above.
Sep 19, 2014 2:43 PM

Jan 2014
Mikasa said:

if his power were to be as we described it.

It took me a lot of searching, but I finally found the problem: You made up your own version of the ability.
You can thank me later ;)
On a serious note though, don't you ever get tired of this? It took a single sentence of your gibberish to destroy your entire essay.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Sep 19, 2014 8:56 PM

Jan 2011
Mod Note: I've removed a lot of the off-topic chat about "Will you/won't you post a plot hole, and added a Spoiler warning to the Thread Title. Discussing plot holes always treads pretty close to posting spoilers, but since I don't follow OP I don't know which points are spoilers. If you think something that has already been posted should be tagged, please report it. If you're posting something that is probably a spoiler please take the five seconds to tag it.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 20, 2014 11:46 AM

Jun 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Agafin said:

9/10. Now you can "Smiiile againnn!!!

Thank you ;-)
On a more serious note, I think that you should stop with this stuff, I don’t know what problem you have with me but if you consider me to be a troll, you can always ignore me. Believe it or not I like One piece very much but this thread asked about our opinions on current one piece compared to the previous one so I gave mine which was mainly made of negative points because I like it less than before. Of course if I’m asked to tell my general opinion or the things I like about it then I will. I know that One piece being a popular series is a magnet to troll/haters but discarding someone’s opinion just because he/she criticizes something in One piece is not the thing to do but makes you look like a fanboy( I’m not saying that you are one but judging from your arguments in the thread about One piece’s rank, I’m not the only one to whom you do this and you even called someone immature there). Also, the sarcastic/superior/condescending tone you use is not the best for discussion.

If you are still bitter about that hiatus discussion then I think I already apologized for it. Rather than throwing baits everywhere, I believe the right thing to do would be to either counter my points if you believe they are wrong, acknowledge their truth if you can’t disprove them or completely ignore them if you believe I’m trolling. That’s what I would do. But of course you are not me and so you can do as you please.
Sep 20, 2014 11:51 AM

Jun 2014
Dahaka_ said:
Agafin said:

When people try to list One Piece plotholes and all they can come up with is this petty stuff - it really makes me proud of Oda.

- So… you agree that they are plot holes?

- You being proud of Oda is normal since he created your favorite anime/manga. However, if the reason for that is the smaller number of plot holes then I can definitely not share that sentiment due to the way the one piece world is designed. There are absolutely no rules in one piece. Any thing that looks like that would be changed whenever the plot demands it.
For example, the laws of the devil fruit have been changed so many times I wouldn’t even be surprised if at one point Oda introduces a user that can swim. Also, One piece uses the trope called nonesensoleum which makes things that would have otherwise be plot holes as just bullshit like Usopp taking a 4 ton hit without dying despite his low durability. This greatly cheapens it in my opinion.
Let me ask you this question:
You have two manga, the first one has very strict rules and takes itself seriously by limiting gag feats for comedy purposes only and you discover that it has 1000+ chapters and only about 10 plot holes. Would you be amazed? I certainly would.
The second one is about a sleeping boy and takes place in his dream. He has to find a way to wake up and that is the goal of the story. Given that this story takes place in a dream, you can have houses dancing and singing, clouds being made of popcorn, cars moving upside down etc and none of these would be a plot hole because, well it’s a dream. You then discover that it has only two plot holes after 1000+ chapters. Would you be amazed? I definitely wouldn’t.

The first is an analogy to Naruto and the second to One piece. That’s why I consider that Kishi gets too much undeserved criticism/hate for his plot holes compared to Oda since his world is more complex and serious, hence more prone to plot holes even with the same amount of effort.(There aren’t even so many to begin with, just haters inflating the numbers)

- Sanji is a crew member and so a plot hole involving his power is not what I would call “petty”. By that logic you may just consider any plot hole petty. Maybe that’s what you do with One piece anyway.

- The fact that Oda always tries to hand wave these issues/plot holes in interviews/SBS shows that he definitely doesn’t minimize them( like in the mr 3’s example above). At least, it shows that he cares for his work/fans which is indeed something to be proud of.
Sep 20, 2014 11:58 AM

Jun 2014
Drunk_Samurai said:
Agafin said:

1) Mistranslation.

2) Mistranslation.

3) Just because somebody survived something that they should have died from does not make it a plot hole. That's ridiculous.

4) http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Kuuigosu

5) Not even close to being a plot hole.

6) Same as above.

1 and 2 are mistranslations? Hmmm I would have to check them back, I’m sure the Sanji one is also in the anime as well.

3- The fact that it doesn’t have an explanation shows that it is a plot hole. It makes no sense for a fodder character to survive a nuke.

4- The wiki source you linked clearly states that the wood was not visible. The fact that the kuusoigu or however it’s spelled never existed in the show before shows that it was retconned. That’s why the anime version included a table iirc. If you see a df user swimming, it is a plot hole. Even if 500 chapters later Oda says it is possible for some to swim, it just means he hand waved/retconned but it’s still a plot hole. The same applies here. Anyway, the explanation was pretty funny so I would let that slide.

5- The power doesn’t make sense within the OP world so I think it’s a plot hole. How does Sanji’s leg not burn? If the fire is caused by friction due to high speeds, why does luffy not ignite as well since he’s faster and hence should have more friction exerted on him.

6- It’s a minor one but I honestly can’t think of an explanation. So unless otherwise proved it’s a… plot hole.

So, I agree with your explanations of 2 and 4(kinda), I will check 1, 6 is somewhat insignificant . 3 and 5 are still hanging though.
I have a couple others if you have the time to disprove them for me:

7- The devil fruit users are weakened by sea stones and generally anything that has to do with sea. Even sea salt has been shown to weaken them since in Thriller bark when salt is thrown into zombie’s mouth, the shadow moving the corpse is detached and the zombie is purified hence nullifying the devil fruit power of Moria. My problem is how can Luffy and other devil fruit users consume food stuffs containing salt and not be weakened? If this is really a plot hole, then it’s arguably the biggest one alongside Pell since enemies could easily use this weakness against/to poison them but not only do they not use it, it also never weakens devil fruit users. I even remember Sanji specifically using it in one of their meals and Luffy complemented him that it tastes better. So what am I missing here?

8- How did Akainu defeat Ace? Lava can’t do any thing to fire. Are lava and fire in One piece different from our world? If yes, source please.

9- This is not a plot hole but something that I don’t understand. What did Shanks use against the sea king in chapter one? I always thougt it was the death glare trope like what Zoro used to do to fodders back then but I hear a lot of people saying it was haki. My questions are: if it was haki why didn’t Shanks use it to knock down those villains back then? I know he said to WB that he offered his hand to the sea king as a bet on the new generation but even before that he could have prevented that incident from happening. He was surprised when that pirate flew with Luffy and not using it could have cost Luffy’s life. Also, if it’s haki, then what type of Haki is it? People say that it is CoC but conqueror haki ‘s power is to knock out enemies and has never been shown to make them run away like it did to that sea king. So is there any part of the manga where it’s specifically said to be haki or is it just a fan made theory? An unknown type of haki? Or a simple death glare?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotHole
Sep 20, 2014 12:22 PM

Apr 2014
7. Kairoseki is a 'special' mineral stone that contains the power of sea to weaken the devil fruit power.
and it's not like Salt or Sea Water literally weaken DF user, they're only weakened If the lower half of the body is inside the water.
8. Haki.
9. it's Haki, the same feature that always occur on people that under effect of HH is either they're sweating out of fear or Pass Out or sometime both.
Sep 20, 2014 12:49 PM

Jun 2014
tr1ckst3r said:
7. Kairoseki is a 'special' mineral stone that contains the power of sea to weaken the devil fruit power.
and it's not like Salt or Sea Water literally weaken DF user, they're only weakened If the lower half of the body is inside the water.

Yes, with sea water you need to be half immersed but that is not the case with sea stone and salt from the example I mentioned as well as others ( like the fact that df users can only use sea stone weapons if they are not in contact with the part of the weapon that has the sea stone)
8. Haki.
???
9. it's Haki, the same feature that always occur on people that under effect of HH is either they're sweating out of fear or Pass Out or sometime both.

Which type of haki is it then?
Sep 20, 2014 1:05 PM

Apr 2014
Armament Haki, the one that able people to touch Logia Type DF user.
Sep 20, 2014 5:44 PM

Aug 2007
^What he said. #7 was only a weakness for the zombies, not a Devil Fruit users weakness. I don't even know how you could have gotten that idea. Btw that salt thing was anime filler. Shanks was said to have Conquerer's Haki anyway.
Sep 20, 2014 5:50 PM

Nov 2010
tr1ckst3r said:
Not only that but DFs themselves have their own weaknesses and strengths against the others.

"As noted by Crocodile, there is no way to tell how Devil Fruit powers will fare when pitted against one other.[11] A Devil Fruit user who normally dominates all other powers can sometimes be brought down by a power considered "weak" in comparison; one such example is the Gomu Gomu no Mi unexpectedly withstanding the Goro Goro no Mi's powers, the Doru Doru no Mi unexpectedly holding back the Doku Doku no Mi's powers and Akainu's Magu Magu no Mi dealing a fatal blow to Ace despite his Mera Mera no Mi due to an order of superiority. Another surprise also came when the Mera Mera no Mi clashed against the Moku Moku no Mi, equalizing with each other, and then later against the Hie Hie no Mi with the same results. "

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Devil_Fruit
Sep 21, 2014 6:13 AM

Jun 2014
tr1ckst3r said:

Drunk_Samurai said:
Shanks was said to have Conquerer's Haki anyway.

You people are really confusing me now. I think I would have to rewatch One piece some time in the future
Sep 21, 2014 6:27 AM

Jun 2014
Drunk_Samurai said:
^What he said. #7 was only a weakness for the zombies, not a Devil Fruit users weakness. I don't even know how you could have gotten that idea..

http://www.mangapanda.com/103-2563-6/one-piece/chapter-456.html
http://www.mangareader.net/103-2563-6/one-piece/chapter-456.html
Now you can't use the mistranslation card.

Brook said:
The source of the zombie's ability is originally the devil's fruit. Since the salt holds the power of the sea it undoes the bond between the false soul and the corpse.

I don't think there are two ways of interpreting that statement. The bolded parts clearly show that salt works because it has the power of the sea and hence nullifies the devil fruit power. Luffy, Ace, other fruit users should also be affected by it when they consume it..
Sep 21, 2014 8:10 AM

Apr 2014
Agafin said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
^What he said. #7 was only a weakness for the zombies, not a Devil Fruit users weakness. I don't even know how you could have gotten that idea..

Brook said:
The source of the zombie's ability is originally the devil's fruit. Since the salt holds the power of the sea it undoes the bond between the false soul and the corpse.

I don't think there are two ways of interpreting that statement. The bolded parts clearly show that salt works because it has the power of the sea and hence nullifies the devil fruit power. Luffy, Ace, other fruit users should also be affected by it when they consume it..

man you're answering you're own question, there's not even one bit of word that implies salt can weakening DF user, it's just said that Salt hold the power of the sea than can undo the bond between false soul and corpse. and stop analyzing obvious thing too hard since Franky already said it's just like purifying evil spirit in this is the implementation of it.
Remember every DF power is unique in its own way depend on how one use it's power.
Sep 21, 2014 9:35 AM

Aug 2007
Agafin said:

You have two manga, the first one has very strict rules and takes itself seriously by limiting gag feats for comedy purposes only and you discover that it has 1000+ chapters and only about 10 plot holes. Would you be amazed? I certainly would.
The second one is about a sleeping boy and takes place in his dream. He has to find a way to wake up and that is the goal of the story. Given that this story takes place in a dream, you can have houses dancing and singing, clouds being made of popcorn, cars moving upside down etc and none of these would be a plot hole because, well it’s a dream. You then discover that it has only two plot holes after 1000+ chapters. Would you be amazed? I definitely wouldn’t. The first is an analogy to Naruto and the second to One piece. That’s why I consider that Kishi gets too much undeserved criticism/hate for his plot holes compared to Oda since his world is more complex and serious, hence more prone to plot holes even with the same amount of effort.(There aren’t even so many to begin with, just haters inflating the numbers.

I don't even know how I missed this post. What you described for the first one sounds way more like Naruto than One Piece. Besides that Kishimoto deserves hate for his plot holes. They actually directly effect the plot of Naruto. Like Sasuke being able to summon Manda when he was fucking flat out stated to be out of chakra.

Agafin said:
tr1ckst3r said:

Drunk_Samurai said:
Shanks was said to have Conquerer's Haki anyway.

You people are really confusing me now. I think I would have to rewatch One piece some time in the future

Read the Marineford arc again. When Luffy used his they said that Whitebeard and Shanks both had it.

Agafin said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Brook said:

I said the other two were mistranslations. That's just inaccurate though as what tr1ckst3r said. It only applies to Moria's zombies.
Sep 21, 2014 11:58 AM

Oct 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:

Agafin said:

Brook said:

I said the other two were mistranslations. That's just inaccurate though as what tr1ckst3r said. It only applies to Moria's zombies.

The thing with the salt is one of two things:
- That is Brook conclusion and he his completely wrong. Being that made purposely. Note how is only shown as a theory and not an absolute truth. By the time we get to Vegapunk all of that must be explained.
Salt only works with Moria, and salt being used to defeat evil and Zombies is a real world Myth. It would make a lot more sense if it had to do with Moria Devil fruit weakness and nothing as general as devil's fruit weakness. Just like water is Crocodile weakness.

- Brook is partially correct. Not every salt is originated at sea. So only "Sea Salt" works in Moria zombies. They were lucky that Moria kitchen had sea salt. Moria and/or his underlings are stupid for having sea salt in the ship.
bigivelfhqSep 21, 2014 12:01 PM
Sep 21, 2014 1:50 PM

Mar 2012
The "fairies" had the same objective as the Straw Hats so what's the matter?

shimolis said:
But I bet that Luffy will give the Flare Flare fruit to Rebecca, which will be disappointing

This is why people should read the manga, I'm not even going to bother myself replying cuz this is not worth it. This is what I find disappointing.

One Piece is still the same One Piece we've always watched.
Sep 21, 2014 5:36 PM

Jun 2014
I enjoyed One Piece more before every arc had to be super long. For instance I loved East Blue One Piece and pre Albasta. Of course the long arcs are amazing too, I just think the show needs to fit in a couple smaller arcs here and there, for example the smaller arcs before Alabasta. Time-Skip One Piece is pretteh good. I'm not getting the same emotions and nostalgia feel but its good nonetheless. I do not like Nami, Chopper, and Robin's new character designs. Robin's is incredibly generic, Nami looks like a slut, and Chopper needs to stop getting damn smaller and cuter. Am I the only one who enjoyed Chopper's old fugly look?
Previously: BlueXRam
Sep 21, 2014 5:47 PM

Nov 2012
I think that old one piece was better, but it has nothing to do with the characters and plot it is just that the pacing of the episodes has been rubbish since Punk Hazard, they need to take a hiatus or something to allow the Manga to get some new material.
Sep 21, 2014 5:51 PM

Jun 2014
TheRealDeal51 said:
I think that old one piece was better, but it has nothing to do with the characters and plot it is just that the pacing of the episodes has been rubbish since Punk Hazard, they need to take a hiatus or something to allow the Manga to get some new material.

Or a decent long filler arc.
Previously: BlueXRam
Sep 23, 2014 6:22 AM

Jun 2014
Man, this thread is so off topic lol. Anyway, sorry for the late reply.
tr1ckst3r said:
Agafin said:
[spoiler]

Brook said:

[/spoiler]
man you're answering you're own question, there's not even one bit of word that implies salt can weakening DF user, it's just said that Salt hold the power of the sea than can undo the bond between false soul and corpse. and stop analyzing obvious thing too hard since Franky already said it's just like purifying evil spirit in this is the implementation of it.
Remember every DF power is unique in its own way depend on how one use it's power.

Isn't the power of the sea what weakens devil fruit users? Sea water weakens them because it has this power, same as Karioseki since it's said to have the same "wavelength as the sea".

Yes, there are different DF powers and in this case purifying the evil spirit=weakening devil fruit power. You don't expect Franky to say that it will prevent Luffy from stretching when he is talking abuot Moria, do you?

I don't see what I'm overanalysing here. Brook didn't say that it works because they are zombies but because the source of the power is the devil fruit. He also said that it works because salt has the power of the sea not because "it's just magic" which is what you want me to believe. You are the one saying it works only on them without backing it up with up with canon evidence. That's pretty baseless. Maybe it's just me.

Drunk_Samurai said:
Agafin said:

The second one is about a sleeping boy and takes place in his dream. He has to find a way to wake up and that is the goal of the story. Given that this story takes place in a dream, you can have houses dancing and singing, clouds being made of popcorn, cars moving upside down etc and none of these would be a plot hole because, well it’s a dream. You then discover that it has only two plot holes after 1000+ chapters. Would you be amazed? I definitely wouldn’t. The first is an analogy to Naruto and the second to One piece. That’s why I consider that Kishi gets too much undeserved criticism/hate for his plot holes compared to Oda since his world is more complex and serious, hence more prone to plot holes even with the same amount of effort.(There aren’t even so many to begin with, just haters inflating the numbers.

I don't even know how I missed this post.

Lmao. Rereading my own post makes me laugh for some reason. It seems like I was pretty angry about something while writing that.
Drunk_Samurai said:

What you described for the first one sounds way more like Naruto than One Piece.

It seems like you confused your words here. Did you intend to type that the first one sounds more like One piece? In which case I would ask what are those "strict rules" in One piece?
Drunk_Samurai said:

Besides that Kishimoto deserves hate for his plot holes. They actually directly effect the plot of Naruto. Like Sasuke being able to summon Manda when he was fucking flat out stated to be out of chakra.

I agree with you that it was quite ridiculous but more because of the ridiculously short time Sasuke took to do all that. But that was kind of my point. One piece has just as ridiculous things ( like a FREAKING SKELETON being alive) but it is not absurd due to how the world is designed. That's the trope called "running on nonesenseolum". Now that I think about it, it takes some amount of cleverness to do that since in he made his world in such a way that nonesense makes sense. Props to him for that.

Drunk_Samurai said:
Agafin said:

Read the Marineford arc again. When Luffy used his they said that Whitebeard and Shanks both had it.

Another reason to read marineford? No way I can deny that lol. Thank you

Drunk_Samurai said:
Agafin said:

Brook said:

I said the other two were mistranslations. That's just inaccurate though as what tr1ckst3r said. It only applies to Moria's zombies.[/spoiler]

Read above.
I have another small question ( not a plot hole). What do you think will happen if the dressrossa puppets are plunged in sea water? Since the source of their power is a df do you think they will cease action?

bigivelfhq said:

The thing with the salt is one of two things:
- That is Brook conclusion and he his completely wrong. Being that made purposely. Note how is only shown as a theory and not an absolute truth. By the time we get to Vegapunk all of that must be explained.
Salt only works with Moria, and salt being used to defeat evil and Zombies is a real world Myth. It would make a lot more sense if it had to do with Moria Devil fruit weakness and nothing as general as devil's fruit weakness. Just like water is Crocodile weakness.

- Brook is partially correct. Not every salt is originated at sea. So only "Sea Salt" works in Moria zombies. They were lucky that Moria kitchen had sea salt. Moria and/or his underlings are stupid for having sea salt in the ship.

Nice explanation. I am almost convinced except for three little things:
1- I know the myth about salt and zombies. However, assuming that the world of One piece has the same rules as our world is like assuming that they have the same laws of science which is of course wrong unless otherwise stated by the autor / in the manga.

2- An author can only make a character lie/ be wrong only if it serves a particular purpose. That arc is finished and what Brook said worked so it is true by default. By that logic of a character lying then we could say that Luffy swimming and using his power easily in the sea is not a plot hole because for all that we know the rules of devil fruits is wrong which as I stated above is simply a retcon and bad writing and doesn't prevent the plot hole fom being one if it has happened.

3- Luffy has eaten sea foods that should contain sea salt so that is still a moot point.

Anyway, I will take your advice and from now on I will consider this a loophole rather than a plot hole until Dr Vegapunk's explanation if any.

OT: Another thing that I like less about Post time skip One piece is the character designs. I prefer their previous ones :/
AgafinSep 23, 2014 7:03 AM
Sep 23, 2014 8:52 AM

Mar 2012
tr1ckst3r said:

How does it even do that? It was kinda out of nowhere.
End Zionazism
Sep 23, 2014 9:02 AM

Jun 2011
BlueXRam said:
TheRealDeal51 said:

They should have just animate the damn cover pages every once in a while.

Mikasa said:
tr1ckst3r said:

Magic.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 23, 2014 9:25 AM

Oct 2013
ToG25thBaam said:
BlueXRam said:

They should have just animate the damn cover pages every once in a while.

Mikasa said:

Magic.

No, it was explained! Haki is the will(Literally, Haki means will in Japanese), and with Armament Haki you hit directly at others "presence/will", even if their body isn't solid or has a strange quality about it, it doesn't matter to armament Haki that is a physical manifestation of Will. Is not that Haki is specifically made to fight against Devil Fruit powers, but in essence it doesn't cares what happens in the "material realm" so that advantage of devil fruits is nullified.

Note it isn't only good to use Armament Haki to Logias, but also other types like Paramecia. Luffy is rubber and so attacks do a lot less damage than normally, but with Haki an attack makes the full damage.
bigivelfhqSep 23, 2014 9:28 AM
Sep 23, 2014 9:40 AM

Apr 2014
Mikasa said:
tr1ckst3r said:

it's already foreshadowed that there's actually a way to hurt Devil Fruit Power and it's Haki.
Enies Lobby Arc, Garp punch Luffy and "it's Hurt"
Sabaody Arc, Rayleigh stop Kizaru.
Amazon Lily Arc, Snake Sister hurt Luffy using Haki.
Marineford. Jozu and Marco use Haki to hit Aokiji and Kizaru, a Logia user.

so yeah, it's out of nowhere.
Sep 23, 2014 9:45 AM

Nov 2010
tr1ckst3r said:
Mikasa said:

it's already foreshadowed that there's actually a way to hurt Devil Fruit Power and it's Haki.

You're forgetting possibly even Smoker and Dragon back in Logtown.
Sep 23, 2014 9:53 AM

Apr 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
tr1ckst3r said:

You're forgetting possibly even Smoker and Dragon back in Logtown.

that one is still Arguably since Dragon just grab somker Jutte.
I'm using the most obvious example to make it easier.
Sep 23, 2014 4:56 PM

Mar 2012
tr1ckst3r said:
Mikasa said:

1- luffy isnt logia
2- silvers hitting kizaru isnt foreshadowing, it's the... Asspull? Itself.
Uses afterward are the same.... Asspull? Being reused.
End Zionazism
Sep 23, 2014 5:31 PM

Apr 2014
Mikasa said:
tr1ckst3r said:

1- luffy isnt logia

Yeah, One Piece is full of asspull, Devil Fruit is asspull, Grand Line is asspull, Pirate is asspull, everything is asspull in anime, the only thing that wasn't asspull is a Hunter and Nen right? yeah I know.
Sep 23, 2014 6:14 PM

Jan 2014
tr1ckst3r said:
Mikasa said:

1- luffy isnt logia

Yeah, One Piece is full of asspull, Devil Fruit is asspull, Grand Line is asspull, Pirate is asspull, everything is asspull in anime, the only thing that wasn't asspull is a Hunter and Nen right? yeah I know.

Good. You finally learned Mikasa's way of thinking. Now you won't bother anymore, will you? Sometimes the best course of action is to just ignore.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Sep 23, 2014 7:04 PM
Jul 2018
It's okay, once they make an MMO with Haki it will be worthy.
Sep 23, 2014 11:21 PM

Mar 2012
tr1ckst3r said:
Mikasa said:

1- luffy isnt logia

DF was asspull too? But you're right on the other ones.
End Zionazism
Sep 24, 2014 12:13 AM

Oct 2010
The skill of Armament Haki is to be able to hurt a DF owner with physical hits ignoring the protection/intangibility brought by their DF. Hitting Logia is the most clear and commented benefit simply because a permanent Paramecia like Luffy's is quite uncommon.
Sep 24, 2014 8:30 AM

Dec 2008
Thread cleaned
This is a One Piece thread. If you want to talk about plot holes and senselessness in Naruto, do so in the appropriate board. Some of you were actively admitting to derailing the thread and yet continued to do so. Go back to talking about One Piece please.
Sep 25, 2014 6:24 PM

Mar 2012
That's not answering the question of how can it just counter it.

Most likely Oda didn't really have a way to creatively handle the situation.
End Zionazism
Sep 26, 2014 6:46 AM

Nov 2012
People interested about Haki should read this post by one of the guys at AP Forums, it explains a the cultural basis of Haki and how it works in One Piece:

Rayleigh explaining what Haki is.

It exists within every single human being. "Presence"... "Spirit"... "Aura". It is no different from these basic concepts with which anyone should be familiar with. However, the vast majority of people go their whole lives without ever noticing they possess it... or else try as they might, never succeed in making use of it. To feel no doubt... that is true strength!!!

If we took what Rayleigh said and the translation very literally - Haki is ALL "Presence", "Spirit" and "Aura". His explanation mentions that Observation Haki is "Presence" felt to an elevated degree. Sovereign/Conqueror Haki is the user's very "Spirit" manifest, but of course not everyone can do it. From there, I presume we can take that as Armanent Haki being the "Aura" that is something like wearing an invisible suit or armor.. and naturally stronger armor also results in more powerful attacks.

In that 4th page, that was explaining Armanent Haki, when Luffy asked Rayleigh, if with it, he can attack Smoker or even Aokiji? - Rayleigh was silent. It might just be me but knowing what I know about Haki, I think he answered in silence to mean "That depends on you".

---
This is the best explanation I know of Haki.

The credits go to C.A. from Animesuki. This is the third or fourth time I'm quoting/crediting him/her but I'm just amazed how s/he tried to explain Haki and how much it matches with the way Oda portrays it, especially considering s/he wrote this back when the manga was only in Amazon Lily arc and so on. (Full thread here I only copied up to half of page 12)

I just copied what was posted but organized it a bit and made it easier to read. I apologize in advanced for the length as well as any repeated statements and explanations.

Introduction:

Relations and Differences:

Rarity:

Sakki:

Application and Growth:

The breath of all things:

I sincerely hope this helps your understanding of Haki and/or the series in general, as well as your future discussions and arguments.
SuperRedSep 26, 2014 7:03 AM
Sep 26, 2014 6:58 AM

Dec 2012
copy paste for life.
Sep 26, 2014 12:44 PM

Oct 2010
Mikasa said:
That's not answering the question of how can it just counter it.

Most likely Oda didn't really have a way to creatively handle the situation.

You can't demand a show to answer a question it never aimed to answer. The why is the existence of a power that through an advanced state of concentration allows the user to create an armor; an armor that can pass through the DF power and reveal the tangible body of the user. Questioning why does this power exist is the same as questioning the basis of its worldbuilding and context, a treatment that not only this series but any piece of fiction doesn't deserve.
Sep 26, 2014 12:56 PM

Mar 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
That it's all the same One Piece.

With more glorious fanservice. Oda da bess.
Sep 29, 2014 3:32 AM

Mar 2009
That is why I don't watch anime anymore. I really don't like how animation looks, for me the Enies Lobby animation was the best.
Anime is now full of fillers (I mean filler situations, filler camrea rolling, filler running there and here) and it is really boring, and there is a lot of not so funny things which weren't in manga. They also alternate some things a bit.
Yeah Fishmen arc wasn't the best even in manga but when I was watching it as anime I was awfully bored. So I watch some episodes just because of my favourite seiyuu's now not for the story because the anime is worser and worser.
Sep 29, 2014 5:01 AM

Aug 2013
-Klad- said:
What you said is really true. Pre-time skip OP was better than now. Many of you might counter this argument with the Dressrosa arc, which is really good and one of the best OP arcs, but you cannot judge the whole New World saga with just one arc. Think about the other two who were completely bad, in my opinion. Fishman arc and Punk hazard were one of the worst arcs in the series. So in the new world we have two bad arcs and one awesome arc. This is the exact reason why I think pre time skip OP is better.

But nevertheless I hope that Oda shan't disappoint with the rest of arcs anymore.
I thing those arcs are a disappointment more than being bad because we were expecting some great things after the TS and for the NW,I agree that those arcs are of the weakest in one piece,but they have some strong points about the future story and the progression of it; for example the vision of Luffy destroying FI,we got to know more about the ancient weapons,Noah and the introduction of two members of Big mom's crew or in PH about Kaido,what happend to Law,a little more insight on Vegapunk and maybe some stuff that I don't remember right now.

Anyway theso arcs have a weak story for the arc itself (not much interesting characters,the villains were average and etc.) but not as a whole for one piece.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1015 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 23, 2022

476 by kappaisnew »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

phantom346 - Apr 14

54 by LadyLeeMing »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 219 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kaito__Kid - Nov 17, 2009

60 by X1ma »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1011 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Feb 19, 2022

58 by Marcos-1 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 411 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Aug 2, 2009

79 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.