Forum Settings
Forums

***This post has been deleted and this message was created to beat the spam censors***

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 12, 2014 11:35 AM

Jul 2012
@OP: Exactly my thoughts lmao
I've been craving another SSY since I finished it and nothing has really come close, other than Sidonia no Kishi (the atmosphere; not the level of quality or complexity).

And yeah, reason why it sold less is because the people who are into SSY fall into the group that don't like to throw money at DVDs and merchindaise.

Well, I would buy SSY's merch and DVDs...if I had money.

Mikasa said:
Is SSY translated?

It's partly fan-translated online but no, there isn't an official one. I'll be so happy when it gets fully translated one day! For now, I'm pretty satisfied with Yusuke Kishi's other (officially) Eng translated work "The Crimson Labirinth"
MayukaSep 12, 2014 11:38 AM
Sep 12, 2014 11:43 AM

Oct 2013
I haven't watch shinseki no yori, but it's simple, sao doesn't need to be better than shinseki, it just simple appeals to more people than shinsekai, when will you guys realize that?

If your series doesn't appeal to a lot of people, it wont have great sales no matter how good you think it's. That's the sad truth.
Sep 12, 2014 11:43 AM

Jul 2012
keragamming said:
I haven't watch shinseki no yori, but it's simple, sao doesn't need to be better than shinseki, it just simple appeals to more people than shinsekai, when will you guys realize that?

No, the main complaint is that stuff like SSY won't sell when SAO does. It's simple, but very flawed. Second complaint being we won't really see many shows like SSY because anime makers are more focused in making popular teenager shows like SAO.
Sep 12, 2014 11:47 AM

Oct 2013
mayukachan said:
keragamming said:

No, the main complaint is that stuff like SSY won't sell when SAO does. It's simple, but very flawed. Second complaint being we won't really see many shows like SSY because anime makers are more focused in making popular teenager shows like SAO.

Again, I haven't watch ssy yet, it may not even be that great as how you people are making it out to be, but the appeal is what matter in anime, no matter how good it's if it doesn't appeal to a large group of people it wont be selling.

I'll be giving it a shot soon, but I don't have a high expectation, since you guys overrated knights of sidonia which wasn't all that great.
Sep 12, 2014 11:50 AM

Jun 2013
keragamming said:
mayukachan said:

Again, I haven't watch ssy yet, it may not even be that great as how you people are making it out to be, but the appeal is what matter in anime, no matter how good it's if it doesn't appeal to a large group of people it wont be selling.

Isn't that the complaint that the OP is making?
Sep 12, 2014 11:53 AM

Jul 2012
keragamming said:

I'll be giving it a shot soon, but I don't have a high expectation, since you guys overrated knights of sidonia which wasn't all that great.

Knights of Sidonia I personally enjoy a lot even though I don't think the plot is great or anything. I think it does well as a medium (making good use of CGI/music etc.) and it stands out from the modern/recent shows.
Sep 12, 2014 11:53 AM

Oct 2013
FloatsBoats said:
keragamming said:

I don't know didn't read that long ass paragraph.
Sep 12, 2014 11:58 AM

Jun 2013
keragamming said:
FloatsBoats said:

I don't know didn't read that long ass paragraph.

hahaha neither, just guessed because of the title.
Sep 12, 2014 12:02 PM
Mar 2014
TL:DR........Why is'nt my favorite show popular.......Blah Blah Blah
Sep 12, 2014 12:05 PM

Jul 2012
Cyber_Bluez said:

Says someone with GITS/JJBA/Kenshin in his faves... Yo, you don't know how we feel. We're stuck being fans of niche/unpopular anime.
Sep 12, 2014 12:06 PM

Oct 2013
mayukachan said:
keragamming said:

Knights of Sidonia I personally enjoy a lot even though I don't think the plot is great or anything. I think it does well as a medium (making good use of CGI/music etc.) and it stands out from the modern/recent shows.

"and it stands out from the modern/recent shows."

Really? I didn't see anything special about this series. Well, to each their own.
Sep 12, 2014 12:08 PM

Jul 2012
keragamming said:
mayukachan said:

"and it stands out from the modern/recent shows."

Really? I didn't see anything special about this series. Well, to each their own.

We don't get actual sci-fi shows often... :/ Plus, it was an action show that was minimally funny/fanservicy/cutesy. Iunno, it was pretty serious compared to all the other action shows in the season (NGNL, Black Bullet, Akuma no Riddle)

Plus, dat worldbuilding ummph
Sep 12, 2014 12:15 PM

May 2014
ssy will stand the test of time more than sao i think

i can only hope so anyway... that it will be regarded rightfully as classic masterpiece by future critics and sao will be called trash rightfully so
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Sep 12, 2014 12:19 PM

Oct 2013
OnlyTemporary said:

i can only hope so anyway... that it will be regarded rightfully as classic masterpiece by future critics and sao will be called trash rightfully so

As much as you don't like the series, you have to remember that their is plenty of people that actually likes the series as well, hence why it's popular. you maybe denying it, but sao will most likely stand the test of time more than ssy, simple because it's a well known series.

ssy, will be remembered but only by a small amount of people. It doesn't have a big impact on the industry. It doesn't seem like a series that will be memorable. It will probably be forever underrated, if it's as good as what people are saying.
Sep 12, 2014 12:40 PM

Jul 2014
keragamming said:
OnlyTemporary said:

As much as you don't like the series, you have to remember that their is plenty of people that actually likes the series as well, hence why it's popular. you maybe denying it, but sao will most likely stand the test of time more than ssy, simple because it's a well known series.

ssy, will be remembered but only by a small amount of people. It doesn't have a big impact on the industry. It doesn't seem like a series that will be memorable. It will probably be forever underrated, if it's as good as what people are saying.

Popular anime dies, good anime no.
Sep 12, 2014 12:47 PM

Oct 2013
crosx said:
keragamming said:

Popular anime doesn't mean it equals to it being bad either. What logic is that?
Sep 12, 2014 12:50 PM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:
Cyber_Bluez said:

Says someone with GITS/JJBA/Kenshin in his faves... Yo, you don't know how we feel. We're stuck being fans of niche/unpopular anime.

But you have Nodame and Detective Conan in your favourites two of the most celebrated franchises in Japan.
Sep 12, 2014 12:52 PM

Oct 2009
SSY and SAO are both garb-tier

in fact, i'd probably rather watch SAO than SSY if i had to
Sep 12, 2014 12:53 PM

Nov 2012
keragamming said:
crosx said:

Popular anime doesn't mean it equals to it being bad either. What logic is that?

He's saying popularity eventually decreases over time but the quality of the anime stays the same.
Sep 12, 2014 12:59 PM

Aug 2014
So long as we show our appreciation of great shows like SSY then there won't be a problem. Most posts I've read on this board appreciate SSY. Just keep doing your part and recommending good shows and you'll at least contribute to more people appreciating great anime.
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Sep 12, 2014 1:15 PM

May 2013
Grabbing attention by putting Sword Art Onlijne in the thread title? How original of you, OP.
Sep 12, 2014 1:30 PM

Aug 2014
didn't read but lets face it - sao is bullshit.
but why peoples are mistaking me with trolls so often?
Sep 12, 2014 2:36 PM

Feb 2013
FloatsBoats said:
keragamming said:

So he's just complaining people like different things...........I knew he was just gonna spout nonsense the moment I saw the title
Sep 12, 2014 2:37 PM

Aug 2014
putting ssy and sao together is actually legit for comparison

since they are both made by a-1 pictures
Sep 12, 2014 2:50 PM

Sep 2012
keragamming said:
crosx said:

No, of course it doesn't. But SAO sucks so much that it makes Sasha Grey look like a virgin.

Just sayin'.

@op

Just roll with it. We'll occasionally, probably, hopefully, get quality shows deserving of hype surrounding them. Until then, dig deeper and watch shit thrown at you just so you can make fun of it while taking a relaxing bath after beating the crap out of that kid who stole your Squealer toy.
Sep 12, 2014 2:54 PM

Feb 2013
on a side-note, i got a strong SSY-like feel from Mari Okada's latest two works - Nagi no Asukara and Sono Kuroki Hagane, and i can only hope she will do more similar projects in the future
also i really like your story OP; seeing anime as women
Sep 12, 2014 4:10 PM

Jun 2007
RagesEntity said:
So long as we show our appreciation of great shows like SSY then there won't be a problem. Most posts I've read on this board appreciate SSY. Just keep doing your part and recommending good shows and you'll at least contribute to more people appreciating great anime.
Merely "appreciating" it isn't enough -- if you really want to further the success of From the New World and shows of its ilk, buy them or at least watch them on legitimate streaming sites.
Sep 12, 2014 5:29 PM

Jul 2012
MAND4 said:
Just roll with it. We'll occasionally, probably, hopefully, get quality shows deserving of hype surrounding them.

I can only think of Ping Pong, Barakamon and Haikyuu!!. I'm not even sure if Zankyou no Terror will stay good by the end.
Sep 12, 2014 5:30 PM

Jul 2012
hybreezy said:
mayukachan said:

But you have Nodame and Detective Conan in your favourites two of the most celebrated franchises in Japan.

Nodame? No. Conan, yeah. You have to see the rest of my favourites list though. It's a mix between mid-8 shows and high-7 shows.
Sep 12, 2014 7:57 PM
Sep 2014
***This post has been deleted and this message was created to beat the spam censors***
HotHotPotatoMay 1, 2017 1:10 PM
Sep 12, 2014 8:07 PM
Sep 2014
HotHotPotatoMay 1, 2017 1:10 PM
Sep 12, 2014 8:12 PM
Sep 2014
mayukachan said:
MAND4 said:
Just roll with it. We'll occasionally, probably, hopefully, get quality shows deserving of hype surrounding them.

I can only think of Ping Pong, Barakamon and Haikyuu!!. I'm not even sure if Zankyou no Terror will stay good by the end.

Zankyou no Terror's latest episode was actually good, even though Five is still around. Maybe we'll get some answers as to why she's allowed to do the things she does before the season's/series' end.
Sep 12, 2014 8:22 PM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:
hybreezy said:

Nodame? No. Conan, yeah. You have to see the rest of my favourites list though. It's a mix between mid-8 shows and high-7 shows.

Nodame seems pretty big in Japan. Critically acclaimed anime, two live action series, movies, and of course the anime.
Sep 12, 2014 8:28 PM

Jul 2012
san_sevieria said:
Sidonia no Kishi is a beast in terms of worldbuilding, in the most literal sense of the word, since Nihei has a degree in architecture. I'm a big fan of the manga but not the anime since the 3D CG is not to my tastes. Aside from that, the harder sci-fi feel of the series is a great change, and the realistic space suits and settings really add to the atmosphere. It's unclear where Nihei is going with the characters though, and that seems to be a weaker link in the chain.

It's sad that it's mostly the maniacs (see post above) who are willing to shell out money. There needs to be alternative ways of funding quality anime... something like an art fund or a Kickstarter.

I agree. However, I think the anime's CGI is suitable. I started reading the manga (on vol 4 now) and I think the anime improved a lot of the scenes and made the action funner to watch.

hybreezy said:
Nodame seems pretty big in Japan. Critically acclaimed anime, two live action series, movies, and of course the anime.

A lot of shoujo/josei get live actions though. :O Point taken I guess. But Nodame's not really talked about on MAL or in the western community.
Sep 12, 2014 8:30 PM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:

hybreezy said:

A lot of shoujo/josei get live actions though. :O Point taken I guess. But Nodame's not really talked about on MAL or in the western community.

that is true so fair enough also that first anime was supposed to say manga but >__> oh well
Sep 12, 2014 8:33 PM

Mar 2014
I find it sad that there aren't any HD torrents of Shinseaki yori in English. I had to watch it in standard definition and it made the already bad animation look worse.
Sep 12, 2014 8:37 PM
Sep 2014
HotHotPotatoMay 1, 2017 1:11 PM
Sep 12, 2014 8:39 PM
Sep 2014
Sep 12, 2014 8:40 PM

Jul 2012
Good point. The manga does the characters a lot better and I feel the emotions.

Yeah, I heard it becomes a harem. I'm a bit dissappointed that it needed fanservice to be popular but I'm still interested in the plot, nevertheless. I'm also reading Blame! which is hard to continue because it's kind of over expositional (aka, too much action/scenery) and I need the right mood to read those kinds of stuff.

And SSY's animation...Hmm, I thought it was inconsistent (like they switched directors iirc) but I really loved the world building and scenery nonetheless. But hey, I'd take SSY's animation over SAO's any day.
Sep 12, 2014 8:44 PM

Jul 2013
Both of these shows suck, no wonder you compared them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2014 8:49 PM
Sep 2014
Sep 12, 2014 8:53 PM

Oct 2013
I greatly enjoyed SSY, but it simply wouldn't have been as popular with otaku. I just don't see people buying Saki or Maria figurines. The largest demographic of anime watchers may also find the plot too dark and get turned off.

I can definitely see why it'd be popular with the Western world though. Games like 999 and Zero Escape share similar dark, complex and deep plots, and received critical acclaim in the West. However, their reception in Japan was so poor that even the sequel got canned.

Anyone can be a critic, but at the end of the day the success of an anime is voted with money, and regretfully most of us don't really vote. All we have is meaningless talk. =/
Sep 12, 2014 8:59 PM
Sep 2014
Sep 12, 2014 9:37 PM

Mar 2014
I wish i could finish Shinseki Yori

but its shit like this that makes me not want to

because if i do,i will just hate it and look for all the flaws while while watching it.

like, i cold make a counterargument for every bullet you put for SAO while making a case for a flaw or two in Shinseki Yori. i could also make a case for what SAO may do better than Shinseki yori as well.

but it doesn't matter, you don't care. all that matters is that [popular show] is pandering/entry level and [other show in comparison] is objectivity better.

no seriously. it must be so heartbreaking that this one show is more popular than your favorite anime.

no really. SHinseki Yori is void of any flaws and anyone who was turned off by the back-to-back yaoi-yuri scene must be a flaming homophobic hillbilly, disregarding any credibility to their opinion.

yes, everything you didn't quite get the first time while watching SAO is obviously a plothole/unnecessary. re-watching and paying attention would not help AT ALL at ANYTHING.

and yes, It doesn't matter what Kirito goes through or how he responds. he has NO personality whatsoever.

it's true, the girls in that show have NO reason to have a crush on him. why should silica (the 12 year old) develop a crush for a guy who just saved her life, saved her pet, and looked cool/sincere while doing it? this situation lack ALL sense.

/sarcasm

can no one compliment their favorite anime without having to bash another these days? like really? does popularity mean so much to you people?
Sep 12, 2014 9:39 PM

Jul 2012
^ We have a lot of reasons to compare the two though. Same season, same animation studio, and same genre (sci-fi I guess).

san_sevieria said:
forgot to add: what made me really like SSY was its presentation as a whole. As someone who's familiar with eastern mythology, the way it was presented made it feel like a retelling of ancient folklore, even though it's set a thousand years in the future. The soundtrack was hauntingly beautiful, and can be best seen in this soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1LpZ5I8Iks
As one Youtube commenter put it, "It's like this is the history. These are the facts and events of the people of the world. "

Me too :3 I particarly liked mixing "New World Symphony" 4th mvmt with the world building scenes. Perfect fit!
Sep 12, 2014 10:05 PM

Apr 2013
As long as the japanese continue to buy moe I will not complain.
Sep 12, 2014 10:11 PM

Jul 2013
AzuStar said:
like really? does popularity mean so much to you people?

Why are you so surprised?
People don't want shows they dislike to be more widely discussed and more well known than shows they like so of course they will complain that their favorite show isn't as popular. Would you want something you like to be extremely obscure while something you dislike to be the only thing anyone talks about?

I am not supporting this behavior, but it is pretty obvious why people won't respect stuff they dislike being popular.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2014 10:42 PM

Jan 2014
SSY was pretty good, but it is no surprise it was rolled over and crushed by the AoT and KlK hype trains.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 12, 2014 10:45 PM

Apr 2012
UTW has released SSY BD batches if anyone was interested

Sep 12, 2014 10:45 PM

Jun 2014
Ckan said:
The lesson to take from this story is that there's simply no girl like a robot girl.

Chobits.

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 8 hours ago

36 by karrotStick »»
6 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

44 by Nurguburu »»
37 seconds ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

46 by IpreferEcchi »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 26 minutes ago

4 by Absurdo_N »»
7 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 4 hours ago

21 by Jonas-K »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.