Forum Settings
Forums

***This post has been deleted and this message was created to beat the spam censors***

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 12, 2014 8:07 PM
Sep 2014
***This post has been deleted and this message was created to beat the spam censors***
HotHotPotatoMay 1, 2017 1:10 PM
Sep 12, 2014 8:12 PM
Sep 2014
mayukachan said:
MAND4 said:
Just roll with it. We'll occasionally, probably, hopefully, get quality shows deserving of hype surrounding them.

I can only think of Ping Pong, Barakamon and Haikyuu!!. I'm not even sure if Zankyou no Terror will stay good by the end.

Zankyou no Terror's latest episode was actually good, even though Five is still around. Maybe we'll get some answers as to why she's allowed to do the things she does before the season's/series' end.
Sep 12, 2014 8:22 PM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:
hybreezy said:

But you have Nodame and Detective Conan in your favourites two of the most celebrated franchises in Japan.

Nodame? No. Conan, yeah. You have to see the rest of my favourites list though. It's a mix between mid-8 shows and high-7 shows.

Nodame seems pretty big in Japan. Critically acclaimed anime, two live action series, movies, and of course the anime.
Sep 12, 2014 8:28 PM

Jul 2012
san_sevieria said:
Sidonia no Kishi is a beast in terms of worldbuilding, in the most literal sense of the word, since Nihei has a degree in architecture. I'm a big fan of the manga but not the anime since the 3D CG is not to my tastes. Aside from that, the harder sci-fi feel of the series is a great change, and the realistic space suits and settings really add to the atmosphere. It's unclear where Nihei is going with the characters though, and that seems to be a weaker link in the chain.

It's sad that it's mostly the maniacs (see post above) who are willing to shell out money. There needs to be alternative ways of funding quality anime... something like an art fund or a Kickstarter.

I agree. However, I think the anime's CGI is suitable. I started reading the manga (on vol 4 now) and I think the anime improved a lot of the scenes and made the action funner to watch.

hybreezy said:
Nodame seems pretty big in Japan. Critically acclaimed anime, two live action series, movies, and of course the anime.

A lot of shoujo/josei get live actions though. :O Point taken I guess. But Nodame's not really talked about on MAL or in the western community.
Sep 12, 2014 8:30 PM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:

hybreezy said:

A lot of shoujo/josei get live actions though. :O Point taken I guess. But Nodame's not really talked about on MAL or in the western community.

that is true so fair enough also that first anime was supposed to say manga but >__> oh well
Sep 12, 2014 8:33 PM

Mar 2014
I find it sad that there aren't any HD torrents of Shinseaki yori in English. I had to watch it in standard definition and it made the already bad animation look worse.
Sep 12, 2014 8:37 PM
Sep 2014
HotHotPotatoMay 1, 2017 1:11 PM
Sep 12, 2014 8:39 PM
Sep 2014
Sep 12, 2014 8:40 PM

Jul 2012
Good point. The manga does the characters a lot better and I feel the emotions.

Yeah, I heard it becomes a harem. I'm a bit dissappointed that it needed fanservice to be popular but I'm still interested in the plot, nevertheless. I'm also reading Blame! which is hard to continue because it's kind of over expositional (aka, too much action/scenery) and I need the right mood to read those kinds of stuff.

And SSY's animation...Hmm, I thought it was inconsistent (like they switched directors iirc) but I really loved the world building and scenery nonetheless. But hey, I'd take SSY's animation over SAO's any day.
Sep 12, 2014 8:44 PM

Jul 2013
Both of these shows suck, no wonder you compared them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2014 8:49 PM
Sep 2014
Sep 12, 2014 8:53 PM

Oct 2013
I greatly enjoyed SSY, but it simply wouldn't have been as popular with otaku. I just don't see people buying Saki or Maria figurines. The largest demographic of anime watchers may also find the plot too dark and get turned off.

I can definitely see why it'd be popular with the Western world though. Games like 999 and Zero Escape share similar dark, complex and deep plots, and received critical acclaim in the West. However, their reception in Japan was so poor that even the sequel got canned.

Anyone can be a critic, but at the end of the day the success of an anime is voted with money, and regretfully most of us don't really vote. All we have is meaningless talk. =/
Sep 12, 2014 8:59 PM
Sep 2014
Sep 12, 2014 9:37 PM

Mar 2014
I wish i could finish Shinseki Yori

but its shit like this that makes me not want to

because if i do,i will just hate it and look for all the flaws while while watching it.

like, i cold make a counterargument for every bullet you put for SAO while making a case for a flaw or two in Shinseki Yori. i could also make a case for what SAO may do better than Shinseki yori as well.

but it doesn't matter, you don't care. all that matters is that [popular show] is pandering/entry level and [other show in comparison] is objectivity better.

no seriously. it must be so heartbreaking that this one show is more popular than your favorite anime.

no really. SHinseki Yori is void of any flaws and anyone who was turned off by the back-to-back yaoi-yuri scene must be a flaming homophobic hillbilly, disregarding any credibility to their opinion.

yes, everything you didn't quite get the first time while watching SAO is obviously a plothole/unnecessary. re-watching and paying attention would not help AT ALL at ANYTHING.

and yes, It doesn't matter what Kirito goes through or how he responds. he has NO personality whatsoever.

it's true, the girls in that show have NO reason to have a crush on him. why should silica (the 12 year old) develop a crush for a guy who just saved her life, saved her pet, and looked cool/sincere while doing it? this situation lack ALL sense.

/sarcasm

can no one compliment their favorite anime without having to bash another these days? like really? does popularity mean so much to you people?
Sep 12, 2014 9:39 PM

Jul 2012
^ We have a lot of reasons to compare the two though. Same season, same animation studio, and same genre (sci-fi I guess).

san_sevieria said:
forgot to add: what made me really like SSY was its presentation as a whole. As someone who's familiar with eastern mythology, the way it was presented made it feel like a retelling of ancient folklore, even though it's set a thousand years in the future. The soundtrack was hauntingly beautiful, and can be best seen in this soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1LpZ5I8Iks
As one Youtube commenter put it, "It's like this is the history. These are the facts and events of the people of the world. "

Me too :3 I particarly liked mixing "New World Symphony" 4th mvmt with the world building scenes. Perfect fit!
Sep 12, 2014 10:05 PM

Apr 2013
As long as the japanese continue to buy moe I will not complain.
Sep 12, 2014 10:11 PM

Jul 2013
AzuStar said:
like really? does popularity mean so much to you people?

Why are you so surprised?
People don't want shows they dislike to be more widely discussed and more well known than shows they like so of course they will complain that their favorite show isn't as popular. Would you want something you like to be extremely obscure while something you dislike to be the only thing anyone talks about?

I am not supporting this behavior, but it is pretty obvious why people won't respect stuff they dislike being popular.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2014 10:42 PM

Jan 2014
SSY was pretty good, but it is no surprise it was rolled over and crushed by the AoT and KlK hype trains.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 12, 2014 10:45 PM

Apr 2012
UTW has released SSY BD batches if anyone was interested

Sep 12, 2014 10:45 PM

Jun 2014
Ckan said:
The lesson to take from this story is that there's simply no girl like a robot girl.

Chobits.

Sep 12, 2014 10:48 PM

Jul 2013
Xari said:
Ckan said:
The lesson to take from this story is that there's simply no girl like a robot girl.

Chobits.

Wall-E
Sep 12, 2014 11:01 PM

Oct 2013
@AzuStar

That's how people do it these days, to make a point they have to bash a series, but not any series they choose to bash a popular series, which would give them more attention. As if a popular series should mean it's better than the rest. At the end of the day if a series doesn't have a wide appeal don't expect it to be popular.

RedRoseFring said:
SSY was pretty good, but it is no surprise it was rolled over and crushed by the AoT and KlK hype trains.

Lmao! 1+

san_sevieria said:
Rinth said:
I greatly enjoyed SSY, but it simply wouldn't have been as popular with otaku. I just don't see people buying Saki or Maria figurines. The largest demographic of anime watchers may also find the plot too dark and get turned off.

I can definitely see why it'd be popular with the Western world though. Games like 999 and Zero Escape share similar dark, complex and deep plots, and received critical acclaim in the West. However, their reception in Japan was so poor that even the sequel got canned.

Anyone can be a critic, but at the end of the day the success of an anime is voted with money, and regretfully most of us don't really vote. All we have is meaningless talk. =/

True. If otakus are the type who seek escapism through anime, it would make sense that they would want to seek things that are as far removed from reality as possible and are also not too thought provoking. SSY, showcasing the growth of characters over a period of 14 years, is probably not for them.

In other words, the solution to the problem posed in my OP will have more to do with "how do we change otaku culture" rather than "how do we change the producers". Note that both are still important as they play off each other: the producers have the ability to introduce, remove, and change tastes over time, and the otakus have the ability to vote with their wallet.

You can't "change" what appeals to the masses, it's as simple as that. You should just have to accept the fact that not everyone likes what you likes, and you have no right to change what others like.

You're basically saying that, This person likes chocolate ice cream, let's change it to Vanilla ice cream and try and force them to like Vanilla ice cream over chocolate ice cream.

Sorry bud, but it doesn't work like that.
keragammingSep 12, 2014 11:05 PM
Sep 13, 2014 12:01 AM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 12:25 AM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 12:35 AM

Oct 2013
san_sevieria said:
keragamming said:

You can't "change" what appeals to the masses, it's as simple as that. You should just have to accept the fact that not everyone likes what you likes, and you have no right to change what others like.

You're basically saying that, This person likes chocolate ice cream, let's change it to Vanilla ice cream and try and force them to like Vanilla ice cream over chocolate ice cream.

Sorry bud, but it doesn't work like that.

Let's say you really like vanilla ice cream, but you're not a big fan of chocolate sprinkles. You don't hate it, but you wouldn't buy it on your own.

One day, all the ice cream vendors decide that they want to make you like chocolate sprinkles. They make it so that you can no longer easily acquire vanilla ice cream on its own. Every time you go to a place that sells ice cream, all you see is vanilla ice cream with chocolate sprinkles.

The presence of chocolate sprinkles won't stop you from buying the vanilla ice cream, but now you're forced to eat sprinkles whenever you want some good ice cream (the sprinkles are evenly mixed into the ice cream and cannot be easily removed). You begin associating chocolate sprinkles with vanilla, and after a few months, it becomes your acquired taste. After a few years, you somehow get your handson a tub of pure vanilla ice cream. It tastes funny to you, like it's missing something.

It's not hard to push tastes onto people. It just takes time, patience, and occasionally, subtlety.

Edited: modified last few sentences

Oh, so you're saying that they can allow the sao pandering, but also they should add some shinsekai no yori greatness in it as well. So you want it mix? So what you're doing is making them get use to the SSY type of story while allowing some sao pandering at the same time, but eventually they will get use to the SSY type of story and eventually they can watch it by itself without adding any sao pandering to it?. Am I correct, is that what you meant?
Sep 13, 2014 1:45 AM

Feb 2013
san_sevieria said:
romagia said:
on a side-note, i got a strong SSY-like feel from Mari Okada's latest two works - Nagi no Asukara and Sono Kuroki Hagane, and i can only hope she will do more similar projects in the future
also i really like your story OP; seeing anime as women

Thanks! I'll check out NoA and SKH
they're colloquially known as NagiAsu and M3
Sep 13, 2014 2:00 AM

Jun 2009
It's a shame really.

However, I'm just glad that I had the chance to watch and enjoy Shinsekai Yori.
Sep 13, 2014 2:04 AM

Jan 2013
This thread proves that MAL prefers edge over fun.
Sep 13, 2014 2:07 AM

May 2014
who thinks watching trash is fun
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Sep 13, 2014 2:12 AM

Jun 2009
SolviteSekai said:

I don't think that's a fair judgement. (Seeing Gurren Lagann, Code Geass and Gintama being so popular on the site)

Fun anime are fun, but sometimes, it's hard to "see the fun" when you're not happy with how the anime/writing turned out.
Sep 13, 2014 2:15 AM

Jan 2013
AirStyles said:
SolviteSekai said:

I don't think that's a fair judgement. (Seeing Gurren Lagann, Code Geass and Gintama being so popular on the site)

Fun anime are fun, but sometimes, it's hard to "see the fun" when you're not happy with how the anime/writing turned out.

Thats when you get over it, instead of crying like a pseudo-intellectual, as though your cartoons are somehow more mature than everyone elses cartoons.
Sep 13, 2014 2:26 AM

Jun 2008
OP, did you really think people were going to read that fucking wall of text?
Sep 13, 2014 2:26 AM

Jun 2009
SolviteSekai said:
AirStyles said:

Thats when you get over it, instead of crying like a pseudo-intellectual, as though your cartoons are somehow more mature than everyone elses cartoons.

Did I even cry over this?

All I did was pointing out you're generalizing the whole of MAL unfairly, and provide another point of view.
Sep 13, 2014 4:23 AM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 4:31 AM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 4:39 AM

Jan 2013
SolviteSekai said:

That's a small minded generalization.
Sep 13, 2014 4:47 AM
Jan 2013
san_sevieria said:
[I]

SSY contains no wanton fanservice, no unnecessary gore, and no harem for those who seek to gratify their wishes vicariously. No product placement, no OP featuring/promoting a popular band, no ending that prioritizes leaving room for a potential sequel over delivering the best ending. Most important of all, it respected its viewers by treating them as intelligent human beings instead of wallets made from dried testosterone. It’s a smart, tasteful, and self-respecting show that gives us a feel for what the medium is capable of achieving at its purest.

In the end, although SSY was critically hailed as a masterpiece in just about every aspect, it attained one of the worst BD/DVD sales numbers for its time. Meanwhile, SAO was almost universally panned by non-fanboy viewers, yet it was a smashing financial success.

This thread was clearly made to force down everyone's throats that ssy is better than sao.

You have not proven that ssy is the other possibility.

Your reasoning is as superficial as sao.

Its "smart", "great".

So what does SSY have? Nothing special! judging from what you said.

Convince me, a neutral party of its worth...

l
genesic123Sep 13, 2014 4:52 AM

Sep 13, 2014 4:47 AM

Jan 2012
SAO is truly legendary.
you sound poor
Sep 13, 2014 4:54 AM

Jan 2013
genesic123 said:

This thread was clearly made to force down everone's throats that ssy is better than sao.

You have not proven that ssy is the other possibily.

You reasoning is as superficial as sao.

Its "smart", "great".

l

Have you seen it? no. will you ever? probably not as you are a casual fan.

This thread is obviously not for people who haven't seen both shows...that much should be obvious
Sep 13, 2014 4:56 AM

May 2014
genesic123 said:
san_sevieria said:
[I]

SSY contains no wanton fanservice, no unnecessary gore, and no harem for those who seek to gratify their wishes vicariously. No product placement, no OP featuring/promoting a popular band, no ending that prioritizes leaving room for a potential sequel over delivering the best ending. Most important of all, it respected its viewers by treating them as intelligent human beings instead of wallets made from dried testosterone. It’s a smart, tasteful, and self-respecting show that gives us a feel for what the medium is capable of achieving at its purest.

In the end, although SSY was critically hailed as a masterpiece in just about every aspect, it attained one of the worst BD/DVD sales numbers for its time. Meanwhile, SAO was almost universally panned by non-fanboy viewers, yet it was a smashing financial success.

This thread was clearly made to force down everyone's throats that ssy is better than sao.

You have not proven that ssy is the other possibility.

Your reasoning is as superficial as sao.

Its "smart", "great".

l
theres no need to prove that ssy is better than sao. that fact is self evident to everyone who has watched both shows
Sep 13, 2014 5:06 AM
Jan 2013
TheNaturalPerm said:
genesic123 said:

This thread was clearly made to force down everone's throats that ssy is better than sao.

You have not proven that ssy is the other possibily.

You reasoning is as superficial as sao.

Its "smart", "great".

l

Have you seen it? no. will you ever? probably not as you are a casual fan.

This thread is obviously not for people who haven't seen both shows...that much should be obvious

You are holding all of anime into account.

Just saying

How much do you know of this show over all other anime to declare it a masterpiece?

Sep 13, 2014 5:24 AM

Oct 2013
both suck
Sep 13, 2014 5:50 AM

May 2014
Brobot said:
both suck
you havent seen either of them troll

fuk off lol
Sep 13, 2014 6:00 AM

Jan 2013
genesic123 said:
[

You are holding all of anime into account.

Just saying

How much do you know of this show over all other anime to declare it a masterpiece?

I've seen it. that's how much I know about that show. DUH. your statement is rather dumb.
Sep 13, 2014 6:09 AM
Sep 2014
HotHotPotatoMay 1, 2017 1:12 PM
Sep 13, 2014 6:12 AM

Oct 2010
People who say that those who haven't watched SSY and SAO shouldn't have a word in here are clearly close-minded and haven't got the point of the OP at all. This is the best excuse I could come with to participate in this thread, sorry

Anyway, I understand that frustration, but are the so-called "good" shows going to become less accesible from now on? No, not really. If they have been rare, they will keep being rare, consistantly so. Meanwhile, the mainstream will follow its natural flow of popularity and money making. The point is, it is legitimate to complain about the lack of rare gems but it is futile. We have to take advantage of the current situation where everything is relatively easy to watch and/or get, including the stuff that is outside of the mainstream tastes.
Sep 13, 2014 8:04 AM
Sep 2014
HotHotPotatoMay 1, 2017 1:12 PM
Sep 13, 2014 10:05 AM

Oct 2013
^ Please stop your bitching now, and stop acting like SSY can't be criticize, I've seen plenty negative reviews of it.

Just as how you think it's one of the best thing you ever watch, other people think it's garbage, mediocre, waste. And that can be said for any anime.

I still haven't watch this series yet, but I'm bracing myself to be disappointed, because people always overrate things.
Sep 13, 2014 10:09 AM

Jul 2013
OnlyTemporary said:
Brobot said:
both suck
you havent seen either of them troll

fuk off lol

They both do suck though.
Sep 13, 2014 10:20 AM

Jan 2013
keragamming said:
^ Please stop your bitching now, and stop acting like SSY can't be criticize, I've seen plenty negative reviews of it.

Just as how you think it's one of the best thing you ever watch, other people think it's garbage, mediocre, waste. And that can be said for any anime.

I still haven't watch this series yet, but I'm bracing myself to be disappointed, because people always overrate things.

indeed, over-praise is never good and of course every series has its flaws...I went into attack on titan thinking it would blow my mind. haha. yeah. should've known better
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» What is the biggest problem in the world of anime in your opinion? ( 1 2 )

castle2001 - May 5

50 by _YaoiShotaIncest »»
11 seconds ago

» World Masterpiece Theater are hidden gems.

Zhenro - May 4

38 by Lucifrost »»
50 seconds ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 )

707supremacist - May 5

94 by pachapacha »»
1 minute ago

» Ai Spambots

billybub - 2 hours ago

22 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» Which anime brings back memories of nostalgia for you?

Gashadokur0 - 3 hours ago

9 by Ende_uraa »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.