Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 17, 2014 2:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The episode was okay but felt a bit fast as compared to the previous. I think some of the opponents Eiichiro facing now are more like warmup matches. I can't believe his body feels like shit though lol with that pain.

Takuma's news for getting beat was kinda surprising though. Lol, Eiirchiro became a ghost. Priceless.
Stark700Aug 17, 2014 3:15 AM
Aug 17, 2014 3:30 AM

May 2012
I never have anything bad to say about Baby Steps because there's never been anything wrong.

I loved the fact they played up the comedy of Ei-chan not being able to move properly in the beginning of the tournament. It actually worked better than the manga in my opinion.

If anything though, the school festival part with Nat-chan and Ei-chan talking got a bit more rushed over than I would have liked. Even a few more seconds of silence and blushing would have completely set up the mood between the two of them better.

Kanto tournament is next and I'm not ready for that pain.
Aug 17, 2014 3:31 AM
Aug 17, 2014 4:09 AM

Nov 2013
^ lol

Surprised they squeezed in a cultural festival episode with only 5 episodes left, I thought they'd need as much time as possible to cover this Kanto tournament. Here's to hoping Baby Steps gets a second season huh?

Also Nat-chan ( •ॢ◡-ॢ)
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 17, 2014 4:31 AM
Nov 2008
tapanda said:

At least it's just this time, while the result has not changed yet even in the manga the gap will get smaller each time.
Aug 17, 2014 4:53 AM

Mar 2008
_Legna_ said:
tapanda said:

At least it's just this time, while the result has not changed yet even in the manga the gap will get smaller each time.
I really hope that wasn't a thinly veiled spoiler, guys.
Aug 17, 2014 5:01 AM

Nov 2013
^
There's been a few ones like that were even worse throughout the series, I swear manga readers should be in a different discussion to anime only viewers because nobody seems to know how to use a spoiler tag.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 17, 2014 5:50 AM

Nov 2013
Ei-chan is more strong now wow I'm happy for him :) I'm not prepared for the new tournament, i hope they don't rush anything.

Vexper said:
Here's to hoping Baby Steps gets a second season huh?

YESSS I NEED ONE!!

Aug 17, 2014 5:53 AM

Aug 2010
Awesome ep :D

Loved how they showed Maruo owning in the tournament so easily hehe. Completely on a different level.

The festival was really nice and the Nat-chanxMaruo moments were just <3<3
"So what did u answer them?"
"What did u want me to answer?"
"ERROR ERROR ERROR"

So much lololol XDXDXD This OTP is adorable <3 And Nacchan in a China dress was HOT *A*

Can't wait for Nabae vs Ei-chan. I really wonder where they're gonna be stopping though?

Wasn't this supposed to have an anime original ending? They're following the manga pretty well til now. Well I hope they do and give us a S2 >.< I want to see Florida and what comes after :3
Aug 17, 2014 6:27 AM

Dec 2011
Another great episode....Baby Steps is really one of the best sport anime and hoping for a season 2 to be announced with may be higher budget.This episode is quite relaxing with the comedy and school festival.....some development between Natsu and Maruo and Natsu in that Chinese dress looks amazing.
Aug 17, 2014 6:34 AM

Aug 2008
I liked this episode a lot! Maruo is getting more and more adorable!
And that scene with Nat-chan, oh god, they should go out with each other already! X)
Aug 17, 2014 6:44 AM

Jun 2012
Why did they even bother introducing sasaki if Ei-chans just going to end up with Nat-chan?
Aug 17, 2014 7:02 AM

May 2013
Kinda feel bad for Sasaki, when she see's Eiichiro and Natsu spending time together. She should just get over him. Lol Eiichiro's mohawk is still there even when it's combed to the side.
Aug 17, 2014 7:19 AM

Mar 2008
Seeing Nat-chan in that China dress & their conversation made me hnnnnnnnnnnnnnng. It was so much better seeing it animated.
Aug 17, 2014 8:08 AM
Mar 2011
poor sasaki, never stood a chance
"....i am the villain in this story"
Aug 17, 2014 10:18 AM

May 2012
Poor Sasaki but can't help it. Marou and Nat-chan are cute together. Season 2 please!!!!
Aug 17, 2014 10:56 AM

Jan 2013
Loved this episode. The progress was so satisfying, both on court and off.
Can't this anime just adapt all the manga.
Aug 17, 2014 11:12 AM
Jan 2014
I'm very happy for Eiichirou's first tournament victory. His excessive training paid off in the end.

The second half was nice, laid-back and entertaining to watch. The cosplay part especially. I really like when Nat-chan and Ei-chan are together, but I always feel bad for Sasaki. She is legit.

Can't wait until the next episode. I really need to start reading the manga. Didn't expect to enjoy Baby Steps this much.
ResidentAug 31, 2014 5:51 AM
Aug 17, 2014 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
Eiichiro won his first tournament on a different level.
Aug 17, 2014 12:45 PM

Feb 2012
His homie is going to bag Sasaki! You can get eiichirou but you have me lol I really feel bad for her
Aug 17, 2014 1:09 PM

Jul 2013
lol Ei-chan broken XD

Poor Sasaki but she never stood a chance, she should've moved sooner when Eichiro has yet to learn tennis.

I'm eagerly anticipating the announcement of season 2, there's no way they're gonna let this end just like that. Log Horizon s2 was announced on the last week of its airing so there's still hope seeing this is also an NHK show. Maybe after Log Horizon s2 is done then they can continue with Baby Steps s2.
Aug 17, 2014 2:37 PM

Nov 2010
Looking at his first match I thought Eiichiro would have overtrained himself for two months and just ended it a day for his three days tournament
For him to win the STC final it was quite a pity the focus on his first win was not that big as the loss at the final four

The festival that followed was fun to see, Nat chan came up at the end as love intrest for real this time and she looked stunning in that China dress

Kageyama saying supportive things about Ei chan while the others are questioning his recent presence was admirable and so bro

Sasaki loosing her battle for Ei chan was to be expected

Let the Kanto matches begin
Aug 17, 2014 2:53 PM

Mar 2012
So Nikuman triumphed over Yakisoba xD. Seeing the preview, it looks like he will be facing the 1st seed.
Keep moving forward
Aug 17, 2014 6:08 PM

Jul 2012
Nice breather episode!

Also, YES EI-CHAN WON HIS FIRST TOURNAMENT X)
Aug 17, 2014 7:30 PM

Aug 2013
Kageyama's such a bro :)

I kind of feel bad for Sasaki. She never stood a chance and to see the Fast Battleship Nat-chan destroy bamboo raft Sasaki wasn't a pretty sight lol.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 17, 2014 7:51 PM

Jun 2013
This show has never made me laugh out loud before... that all changed with this episode. Chinese dress Nat-chan was pretty smokin' too, even with the "different" art style of this show.

And dang, Ei-chan breezed through that tournament.
Aug 17, 2014 9:51 PM

Jul 2011
Still not a fan of Nat-chan. Really, a mini chinese dress to show her off?

But Ei-chan won his first tournament!! Woot! They whizzed by that, but then again there weren't any seeded players. He won by a landslide.

I'll cross my fingers and hope for S2, but I think it's likely for me to pick up the manga. Such a great series and I really want to see where Ei-chan goes! Doesn't he end up in America for training or something? Will we get to see that?
Aug 17, 2014 10:28 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I laughed so hard at Ei-chan's awkward movements due to his muscle pain XD Nice learning about active rest. Glad Ei-chan's intense training paid off and he was able to win the STC tourney without too much sweat! Also love Nacchan and Ei-chan interactions <3
Aug 17, 2014 11:00 PM
Aug 2011
Sol_Ou said:
Why did they even bother introducing sasaki if Ei-chans just going to end up with Nat-chan?

I know right?
A brunette megane girl will never win against your typical blonde pretty girl.
Aug 17, 2014 11:23 PM
May 2014
This show is the best. I love it.

The muscle cramps were hilarious. Him breaking down was hilarious.
Aug 18, 2014 12:03 PM

Jul 2010
Nat-chan in that chinese dress...almost died. Also "meat buns" exactly which ones are we talking about *smug face*
Aug 18, 2014 5:40 PM

Oct 2013
At least Ei-chan won his first tournament
Aug 19, 2014 8:36 AM

Dec 2011
It really was a surprise to hear that Takuma lost to Nabae :o and it seems like Ei-chan was also surprised.

I was really happy seeing that Ei-chan is now the 8th seed :D.

Ei-chan finally won his 1st tournament this episode, good job! T.T

LOL, Ei-chan looked really great as a ghost and Takuma was really scary XD.

I think the butler outfit is probably what Ei-chan should always wear lol.

Ohooo, a sexy Natsu has appeared :3!

Hahaha, Ei-chan was left stoned after hearing what Natsu said XD.

Ah, I can't wait to see how Ei-chan will fair in the next tournament.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Aug 19, 2014 4:30 PM

Jun 2012
rafi160 said:
His homie is going to bag Sasaki! You can get eiichirou but you have me lol I really feel bad for her

He's going in hard.
Aug 20, 2014 1:54 AM

Jul 2014
... I find it difficult to believe that the top 15 seeds from the Kanagawa Tournament wouldn't be in the STC Cup. Particularly Yukichi, who's a member of STC. Was he just standing there watching the tournament that's being hosted by the club he's a member of? Takuma is understandable since he's trying to focus on his national ranking, but every single one of the top 15 players not competing in a prefectural tournament in the same region requires a suspension of disbelief. It seems like a plot convenience just to have Maruo win.
Sol_Ou said:
Of course, how dare a character has an unrequited love, we know that sort of thing never happens in real life. Shame on Goethe, too, for his atrocious handling of The Sorrows of Young Werther. It was obvious Werther would never end up with Lotte, so he should never have been in the book.
Winter_Fox_TamiAug 21, 2014 11:25 PM
Aug 20, 2014 10:53 AM

Nov 2013
Eiichiro finally won his first tournament!!
Pretty nice episode, we even got to see something not related to tennis this time. Also the comedy was great as always. Poor Kageyama, well he sort of deserved it, but still :p

More tournaments because tennis is awesome!
4/5

I REALLY hope this gets a second season.
Aug 20, 2014 6:46 PM

Sep 2011
Damn, he just pwned everyone on that tournament. That training was worth as hell! And there's even more until the next one. But all the top players and a few more will be there, it's gonna be hard...

Meanwhile a little break in the cultural festival, cute moment with Takasaki. It's sad to see how hard the other girl, Sasaki, is "losing" against her.
Oct 1, 2014 12:34 PM
Jul 2018
Woot he won his first tournament!

That scene at the end with Nat-chan and Ei-chan putting in time to practice while everyone was at the party was a good moment.
Nov 4, 2014 11:51 AM

Sep 2011
Dat romance. :3

Feel a little bad for Sasaki though. She stands no chance.
Feb 8, 2015 3:19 PM

Jun 2014
When the other guy was giving menial tasks to Ei-chan I was thinking of Hercules 12 labors.

Nat-chan in that dress looks just like Kagura.

Ei-chan's O shit Face

Sigh I totally understand how Sasaki feels, there will always be someone else better than you, and there you go, life is unfair.

Mar 8, 2015 7:21 AM

Oct 2014
This episode was pretty good. Fun to see Eiichiro win his first tournament.

And damnnnnn I ship Eichiiro x Natsu, such a lovely couple. Feel a bit sorry for Sasaki though :´(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2016 5:38 AM

Sep 2012
Loved this episode! Maruo and nat-chan <3
Mar 2, 2016 5:03 AM

Aug 2013
Finally a win.
That's a nice change of pace of the school festival.
Aiya.. Sasaki had it tough huh.
Nat-chan is too cute.
Apr 12, 2016 8:41 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I honestly felt bad for Sasaki. She can't bring herself to confess and in the end she just watches Maruo from a distance.

Nice to see a bit of action in the 1st half of the episode. Maruo's opponent in the final was very surprised that Maruo got very good.

Jan 21, 2018 11:22 PM

Jun 2016
I was afraid they were going to make Maruo lose first round for a lesson on how to act when you inevitably go out way too early sometimes. That could have been interesting, but I'm really glad we got to see Maruo win and be exposed to the fruits of his labor. Maruo was moving like we see the best players move, he reminded me of Soji in the finals. Seeing him seeded for once is a nice treat.

I adore how the natural friendship of Sasaki and Maruo has occurred. She started as a fan girl and now they're genuine friends. Too bad she's got to see Natsu with him all the time. Speaking of Natsu, I really appreciate the slow and adorable development of her and Maruo's relationship. When they're together it's always a great time. The pseudo confession that made Maruo freeze up was hilarious.
Feb 19, 2019 10:41 AM

Aug 2017
This episode was nice and fun. Ei-chan is getting stronger and I am sure he can use his strength in the upcoming Kanto tournament. Although this episode felt a bit like a filler, it was good to see Eiichiro interacting with his other classmates at school during the Oosugi Festival. The moments between Ei-chan and Nat-chan were adorable. Can't wait for the next episode!
Jun 8, 2019 2:11 PM
Apr 2016
Wow. This episode was just amazing, so good that now I feel guilty for taking a break from this anime. Finally Ei-chan won a tournament, he won this one rather easily, too. We got a really cute moment between Ei-chan and Nat-chan, couldn't help but smile, haha.
Nov 24, 2020 8:16 AM

Jul 2017
After a string of intense episodes surrounding big matches and tons of training, this felt like a nice placed breather. Maruo competed in the Kanagawa STC tournament and this time, won it quite easily (although the rivals he had competed with beforehand were not there in this one). He's really progressed well as a player over time and that training has helped unlock some of himself big time. Hell, he even was hurting most of the time due to all the training but by the end, he played and felt better than ever. That's the reward if you successfully work and train your body well enough.

The culture festival stuff was nice too. Natsu and Maruo were too focused on tennis that it felt like they were a bit of outcasts compared to everyone there who was trying to have fun with the festival, which isn't shocking since both are already really invested in their goals of becoming pros in tennis already and that's eating up most of their time and effort. They also shared some cute moments together, with a nice tease of a potential relationship in the future when Natsu talked about how some people observed her to be Maruo's girlfriend and she didn't look necessarily unhappy about that, even though she kept her answer a secret from Maruo. Chemistry between them feels genuine and organic and just plain likable, so I dug a lot of their moments too.

The Kanto qualifiers for the All-Japan Junior are next, and Maruo's eligible this time to play there if he can qualify through these. More hype tennis matches will be back soon!
Jul 9, 2021 1:54 PM

Jul 2016
Loved the episode but I still don't get the reason of introducing Sasaki as another love interest when Eiichirou and Nat-chan becoming a thing was already more than obvious since the beginning.
Mar 22, 2022 11:15 AM

Jul 2021
I don't partly care about the romance here but damn that cultural festival arc was truly something lmao.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.