Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 25, 2014 5:29 PM

Aug 2012
Do you guys think there is such a thing as good/bad luck? Or do you believe that whatever happens is just meant to be?
Some people rely on good luck charms whilst others believe that everything is predestined. Which are you?
Are there any cases where you thought you were particularly lucky/unlucky?

Jul 25, 2014 5:31 PM

Aug 2013
There is no such thing as good or bad luck, but you could increase your probabilities by being more bold. Aggressive players in games like Poker will often be at an advantage, and that's the case in other games where you're gambling with other players, too. This could be applied to many things. If you engage yourself and put yourself in situations with opportunities you will have a bigger chance of getting what you want than someone who is passive. In that sense fortune does favour the brave.
MoogJul 25, 2014 5:39 PM
Jul 25, 2014 5:31 PM

Jun 2008
What is this, Assassin's Creed 4?

Some people know how to put themselves in opportune moments. Basically create opportunities. Be in the right place or time. With more opportunities your chances of success would increase. I believe that's what this phrase is referring to.
Jul 25, 2014 5:33 PM

Jun 2012
Fortune is a stud.
Jul 25, 2014 5:35 PM

Oct 2012
no i dont good/bad luck exists
UTSANOMIKOJul 25, 2014 5:39 PM
RRRRRRRRRR
Jul 25, 2014 5:36 PM

Jul 2014
Don't talk to me about destiny, I've seen Lost.
~ça vax~

Jul 25, 2014 5:38 PM

Jul 2012
There is no mystical force that infleences outcome of events, what we see as bad or good luck is merely the human brains incapability to think in probabilities and account for all possible variables (which is not a bad thing, we are simply not geared for that), therefor it resorts to this bias.
DEEP♂DARK♂FANTASY
Jul 25, 2014 9:11 PM

Jan 2014
luck is when preparation meets opportunity, make your own luck
Jul 25, 2014 9:13 PM
May 2012
Afshar said:

My dog died on
so of course no one is going to smile on that day.

"Destiny" and "luck" are both ridiculous. I only use luck as a figure of speech.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Jul 25, 2014 9:34 PM

Mar 2008
Afshar said:
my birthday is on 9/11, I guess that's pretty unlucky. No smiles to be had on that day..
I was born on Friday the 13th. Space Brothers talks about this briefly; the main character (Mutta) perceived himself to be born at the worst time (when all of Japan sighed after they lost the football/soccer World Cup preliminaries).

Luck is luck. It's a statistic that can't be controlled and should be treated as such. You can only do what you think is best.
Jul 25, 2014 9:39 PM

May 2011
Luck ? there's no such a thing like that! it's all about the probabilities of something to happen. as example, you studied hard for an exam but you forget to study something isn't any important and it happens that there're many questions about that part you didn't study. you're unlucky because the probability of what did you left unstudied to be questioned in is very low and vice versa.
Jul 25, 2014 10:10 PM

Oct 2012
2 words

shit happens
Jul 26, 2014 2:09 AM

Nov 2011
Taoism
[center]
Jul 26, 2014 2:12 AM
Aug 2012
I don't think there is, no.
Jul 26, 2014 2:23 AM

May 2012
Good/bad luck exists but u can tilt things in and out of your favour by the things u do. Blaming things that go wrong on bad luck is a lame excuse though, because with a lot of things it's possible for u to try really hard and make things be in your favour.
Jul 26, 2014 2:29 AM

Aug 2013
Moog- said:
There is no such thing as good or bad luck, but you could increase your probabilities by being more bold. Aggressive players in games like Poker will often be at an advantage, and that's the case in other games where you're gambling with other players, too. This could be applied to many things. If you engage yourself and put yourself in situations with opportunities you will have a bigger chance of getting what you want than someone who is passive. In that sense fortune does favour the brave.

No Game No Life fan are we? I would have to agree with your philosophy, though. The belief in luck seems to actually decrease your success rate in some ways, so its good just believe that you are in full control of the outcome so that your horizons of possibility are widened.

Still I think that luck, in the purely fantastical sense, is mysterious and very real. I mean, some kids are born into rich families and some are born into poor families and that is all based on chance, but why is it decided that certain people are able to slip through slim odds in just the right moments to reach success or failure? I don't know how this mysterious presence could be personified, be it God, or god or a force of nature, but I still think its something that exists. Not to say that mathematical statistics aren't complete and utter fact because they are.
Jul 26, 2014 2:46 AM

Aug 2012
Moog- said:
i was hoping someone would pick up on that :)

More topics from this board

» why are the nordic countries so happy? ( 1 2 )

deg - Mar 29

84 by Auron_ »»
2 hours ago

» Have you ever been falsely accused of anything?

Ejrodiew - May 1

40 by Rinrinka »»
2 hours ago

» How do you travel daily

ST63LTH - Yesterday

23 by unn »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps? ( 1 2 )

Miscanthus - Apr 27

53 by unn »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Bear or Man?

_Nette_ - Today

23 by Rhae »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.