Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Isshuukan Friends.' to End Next April

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 23, 2014 12:13 AM

Sep 2011
Torisunanohokori said:
Yause said:

The promotional power of an anime can determine continuation. Generally, if the readership of a mildly popular work doesn't increase dramatically after the anime broadcast, the publisher may choose to end it.

Theoretically, yes, but in practice, there's very little evidence to support this. Visible boosts are just as common for manga that end less than 1 year after the anime as they are for manga that end more then 2 years after the anime. In general, if a series doesn't run in a weekly shonen mag with million-plus circulation numbers and is popular enough to warrant an anime, it's popular enough to continue regardless of how much of a boost the anime provides. Provided the author wants to do so, of course.

Mangirl! is a prime example of a series that got cancelled after the anime flopped so it is more than just theory.
Jul 23, 2014 12:32 AM

Sep 2011
I like the manga more than the anime (though it was enjoyable too of course and what got me into this series), hopefully the scans catch up before then to the material it didn't cover.
Jul 23, 2014 1:26 AM

Aug 2013
LastChapter said:
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

*cries*

Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality.

..I literally cant believe everyone on here left you hanging.
Jul 23, 2014 8:00 AM

Jun 2007
scruffykiwi said:
Mangirl! is a prime example of a series that got cancelled after the anime flopped so it is more than just theory.

Do you have proof that Mangirl was specifically cancelled, like an author comment or something? I didn't say that manga *never* get cancelled, just that a series ending soon after the anime is not generally sufficient proof that a given series was forced to end by the publisher. There are many series that do well and also see the manga end soon after the anime, ala Joshiraku or Usagi Drop, and those that did poorly by all available measures but are still running, ala Hyouge Mono or Hen Zemi.
TorisunanohokoriJul 23, 2014 8:09 AM
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Jul 23, 2014 9:11 AM

Dec 2011
It's also highly possible that it's the other way round - that the anime adaptation occurs when it does because the series is nearing its end.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 23, 2014 10:32 AM
Mar 2010
Isshuukan Friends volume 6 was released on the 22nd of this month. So by next Wednesday/Thursday, we should have manga sales up and if it ranks, we'll know it had a manga boost. Even if it doesn't rank in the top 50 though, it could be in the top 60 or something which is still good if it was say in the 120s or something.

It all depends.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jul 23, 2014 2:37 PM

Nov 2008
getting ready to start reading probably after watching the anime too
Jul 23, 2014 3:35 PM

Sep 2011
Torisunanohokori said:
scruffykiwi said:

Do you have proof that Mangirl was specifically cancelled, like an author comment or something? I didn't say that manga *never* get cancelled, just that a series ending soon after the anime is not generally sufficient proof that a given series was forced to end by the publisher. There are many series that do well and also see the manga end soon after the anime, ala Joshiraku or Usagi Drop, and those that did poorly by all available measures but are still running, ala Hyouge Mono or Hen Zemi.

Yes. Mangirl was cancelled. The mangaka currently does not have any serialization underway.
scruffykiwiJul 23, 2014 4:03 PM
Jul 23, 2014 4:32 PM

Jun 2007
scruffykiwi said:
Yes. Mangirl was cancelled. The mangaka currently does not have any serialization underway.

That's also not a particularly meaningful bit of info. Not everybody who chooses to end a series immediately starts working on their next publication. Gakuen Alice (which regularly made the charts at 100k+) finished a year ago, just before Mangirl, and Higuchi Tachibana still hasn't published anything since. Hiroyuki Takei had a 2-year gap between the end of Shaman King in 2004 and the start of Jumbor in 2007.
Jul 23, 2014 5:24 PM

Sep 2011
Torisunanohokori said:
scruffykiwi said:

That's also not a particularly meaningful bit of info. Not everybody who chooses to end a series immediately starts working on their next publication. Gakuen Alice (which regularly made the charts at 100k+) finished a year ago, just before Mangirl, and Higuchi Tachibana still hasn't published anything since. Hiroyuki Takei had a 2-year gap between the end of Shaman King in 2004 and the start of Jumbor in 2007.

I can't find the source right now but an English fan discussed with the mangaka on the mangaka's pixvid account about how much the mangaka got from the anime (which was a pittance) and about their disappointment of the manga getting axed.

Yes it's true that anime sales on their own won't get a series axed, and there are plenty of examples of low sales anime continuing in manga form, especially for more niche titles. Of course because we are all outsiders we can't see the income streams and each publisher is different, but when a business invests in a product and does not see any return (in manga volume sales) then it's not unexpected to see that investment terminated.
Jul 23, 2014 6:17 PM

Mar 2013
scruffykiwi said:
Anon1409 said:
I wonder if it'll take 12 or 24 episodes to cover the rest of the manga

Well .. 4 volumes gave us 12 episodes and there are 3 more volumes, so you do the maths!

Personally I think it is VERY unlikely that there will be another season, but they may well produce an OVA for the final volume.

Anime went past volume 5 and cut out some stuff from volume 5.
Jul 23, 2014 6:19 PM

Jun 2007
Might you be referring to this?

http://www.someanithing.com/1108/comment-page-1#comment-1036

What's being said there is that the mangaka was asked about whether the manga was cancelled and she gave a "no comment" answer.

I agree that there's definitely a point of poor manga sales which would justify a publisher cancelling a series (and Mangirl *may* have hit it, we just don't have confirmation that it did). But, as you said, that varies heavily based on the publisher, author, magazine, and series involved. I'm just not a fan of making assumptions regarding what that point was and whether or not a given series hit it, given the large number of unknowns typically present and counterrexamples typically available.
Jul 23, 2014 7:42 PM

Jul 2009
As far as I know, the ending of the manga has nothing to do with the success or non-success of the anime adaptation. There has been speculation even before this announcement that the manga will end on volume 7 as it matches the number of days in a week, further emphasizing the title of the work.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jul 23, 2014 8:15 PM

Sep 2011
arsonal said:
As far as I know, the ending of the manga has nothing to do with the success or non-success of the anime adaptation. There has been speculation even before this announcement that the manga will end on volume 7 as it matches the number of days in a week, further emphasizing the title of the work.

Yeah sorry we were getting OT as the manga in question was not Issuukan Friends. I'm sure in this case the author and publisher had it planned, and in particular the anime was planned to be 1 cour only to pump the manga sales into the following year.
Jul 23, 2014 11:23 PM

Jul 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
I bet they'll go for an ambiguous friendship ending.
Please no, it better not.
Jul 24, 2014 8:15 AM

Jul 2014
Hoping things will be finished by doing an OVAS or at least a movie (unlikely)
I dont like the ending the anime, they should be a couple instead of being friendzoned and friendzoning >.>

Jul 24, 2014 10:15 AM
Mar 2013
;-; hate when something end ..
Jul 24, 2014 11:24 AM

Mar 2012
I'm not interrested with this manga for my part :c
J'ai toujours eu ce sentiment un peu étrange d'être comme extérieur à mon corps. Cette impression de flotter quelque part au dessus, ou d'être dans une salle de cinéma, assis au fond, en train de regarder un long film interminable et à attendre que quelque chose se passe. Cette impression de lutter pour devoir rester éveillé, cette envie d'attraper le personnage principal pour lui dire de se bouger, sans cependant pouvoir rien faire sans briser l'écran.
Jul 24, 2014 5:19 PM

Mar 2013
Alright, if this story seriously goes the friendship route I'm gonna fly to Japan myself and punch the author straight in the face. Halfway through volume 6 and I honestly don't see this ending with friendship.

Click if you want.
Jul 25, 2014 10:39 PM

Jul 2014
Sadly all good things must come to an end!
Aug 23, 2014 6:18 PM

Aug 2013
damn
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» J.C.Staff Produces 'Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor: EZY' Anime for 2026

Vindstot - Yesterday

24 by Yorusigh »»
2 hours ago

» Novel 'Ganbatte Ikimasshoi' Gets Anime Movie

DatRandomDude - Mar 21

6 by Tacsk0 »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Kaoru Hana wa Rin to Saku' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - Sep 15

36 by GoldenDevilGamer »»
5 hours ago

» Board Game 'Murder Mystery of the Dead' Gets TV Anime in Fall 2024

DatRandomDude - Today

6 by CocoaGalaxy »»
5 hours ago

» 'Tokidoki Bosotto Russia-go de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san' 2nd Season in Production

Vindstot - Sep 18

26 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.