Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 19, 2014 12:59 PM

Oct 2012
the action and animations in this episode were great
prob my favorite episode so far :D
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Jul 19, 2014 1:12 PM
May 2013
LinedFury said:
HomeAlone said:

And you will also notice that Tatsuya was able to come this near only because Masaki was shocked. Tatsuya is not on a different level compared to Masaki, the battle was like that only because it was a game and that their magics are limited. He thought in this episode that he would not be sure to beat him on a true battlefield.

Let's look at this like it would be on a battle field if you want to go there. Misaki covers for his comrade like in normal battle. He gets rushed at and panics and uses his ablities right? Somehow after using his most powerful abilities he is shocked that Tatsuya is still alive, right? Shock is a real factor in battle, a slight hesitation can mean death. Yes, he came close because he was stunned at what had just happened, but it's not an excuse in a real battle. Tatsuya would easily win still. I'm not counting the fact that Tatsuya has flash cast and knows all 16 cardinal codes.

Tatsuya knows the code but he can't use them, it is magic from the normal system he never used the codes in the LN, they can't be more powerful than Decomposition anyway. I was talking about a battle with Masaki in solo so the teammates are not considered. Both of them would have not battled like that. On a battlefield Tatsuya would have used Decomposition and not tried to hide Elemental Sight, Masaki would have stopped to decrease the power of his magics, used more various magics and Rupture.
Jul 19, 2014 1:14 PM

Oct 2013
millie10468 said:
kickmesign said:
Just sayin, if he really was comparable to Tatsuya I'd think he would have more legal abilities up his sleave.

According to Fujibayashi Kyouko in this episode, there is only one person on the same level as Tatsuya in Japan and a rumored 49 in the entire world. Masaki was out-classed, no doubt about it. But he would have done a lot more damage before being done in if he wasn't forbidden from using his more potent magics.

I'm sure tatsuya had other plans if he'd have to face him without restrictions. That being said I'm sure he'd still have a problem with him regardless.

On the topic of the episode though, I thought it was one of the best. Granted the action helped but the degree of how they played the match out was spectacular.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Jul 19, 2014 1:17 PM

Dec 2011
I think this battle is going to be a hard one even for Tatsuya.

Awwww Miyuki :3

Mikihiko is like a jedi or something lol.

So... they're just going to shoot over and over?

Esteemed eyes... but... but he has no eyes...

Holy crap... look at Tatsuya's ninja skills :O

Um... is Tatsuya an AI now or what lol? Being able to restore himself from a backup, damn...

With just a finger snap he was able to send such a powerful sound wave that it was disturbing everyone lol.

It looks like Saegusa-kaichou is asking how come Tatsuya was still able to get up after he was clearly defeated.

So there's one more individual on the same level as him in Japan and 50 with him in the whole world... wow.

Tatsuya's so op...

FIRST HIGH HAS WON THE ROOKIE EVENT!!!

It seems Leo's body is superhuman lol.

Poor Mikihiko... only monsters around him XD.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jul 19, 2014 1:29 PM

Dec 2013
I wonder if they're going to take the battle outside of the arena ^^
Jul 19, 2014 1:38 PM
Nov 2010
Shaniyaz said:
Leo and Mikihiko actually looks pretty cool with those mantles and robes!
Mikihiko taking out Shinkurou was pretty awesome too. His resolve was quite strong!
Not sure why he's all gloomy even after they won the match. Perhaps, he still feels incompetent compared to Leo?

Tatsuya saying Leo stole the spotlight was hilarious! Leo was awesome alright but his techniques are nowhere near Tatsuya's level.

Good episode. I assume Tatsuya's motivation behind winning the match was due to Miyuki's words to him earlier. Job well done, Onii-sama! (^^)

From the LN:
Seeing those two, Mikihiko thought.
In the end, the final gasp was not decided by Magic Power or spells, but by physical endurance.
Upon seeing the two others finally give in to the undying applause and stand there side by side, shoulder to shoulder, as they waved back in response despite their embarrassment, Mikihiko was painfully aware that: "I need to train a lot more......"
Jul 19, 2014 1:41 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Wasn't the Cardinal guy supposed to be supersmart or something? After seeing all that TS has done, how can he be surprised that he came up with something new for the fight against them? It was to be expected that he would change things up.

I keep on waiting for Miyuki to jump into oni-sama's arms and just plant him a big wet kiss on the lips, society and family be damned.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 19, 2014 1:49 PM
Nov 2011
HomeAlone said:
LinedFury said:

Actually if you read the light novel or watched the anime closely, he violated the rules by releasing too many bullets, which in turn was the reason why Tatsuya sustained those injuries. I'll quote from the light novel.
"A continuous chain of sixteen compressed air bullets, far surpassing the limits laid down by the rules, came swarming towards Tatsuya."

A few lines down.

"Yet in this instant, he had to dispel 16 shots.

Even though Tatsuya instantly made the call that Gram Demolition wasn't going to make it in time, he resolutely refused to use "Decomposition". He stubbornly stuck to his orders to keep classified magic under wraps.
He hid the fact that he was capable of "decomposing" information structures through "Gram Dispersal" and met the attack with "Gram Demolition".
The ensuing result was a given.
After bringing down 14 of the shots, the last two hits struck home on Tatsuya's body."

If Tatsuya wanted to, he could have used Decomposition and easily dispersed the attack.
Tatsuya is on a different level than Masaki. If you saw in the anime, Masaki never used more than 5 bullets at once, which was way less than what he used there. So, I'm guessing the limit is UNDER 16. Also, Tatsuya had to dispel them at near point blank range which he managed to take down 14 of them. Masaki could never land a single bullet on him without breaking the rules.

Tatsuya is not on a different level compared to Masaki, the battle was like that only because it was a game and that their magics are limited. He thought in this episode that he would not be sure to beat him on a true battlefield.
HomeAlone said:
LinedFury said:

Actually if you read the light novel or watched the anime closely, he violated the rules by releasing too many bullets, which in turn was the reason why Tatsuya sustained those injuries. I'll quote from the light novel.
"A continuous chain of sixteen compressed air bullets, far surpassing the limits laid down by the rules, came swarming towards Tatsuya."

A few lines down.

"Yet in this instant, he had to dispel 16 shots.

Even though Tatsuya instantly made the call that Gram Demolition wasn't going to make it in time, he resolutely refused to use "Decomposition". He stubbornly stuck to his orders to keep classified magic under wraps.
He hid the fact that he was capable of "decomposing" information structures through "Gram Dispersal" and met the attack with "Gram Demolition".
The ensuing result was a given.
After bringing down 14 of the shots, the last two hits struck home on Tatsuya's body."

If Tatsuya wanted to, he could have used Decomposition and easily dispersed the attack.
Tatsuya is on a different level than Masaki. If you saw in the anime, Masaki never used more than 5 bullets at once, which was way less than what he used there. So, I'm guessing the limit is UNDER 16. Also, Tatsuya had to dispel them at near point blank range which he managed to take down 14 of them. Masaki could never land a single bullet on him without breaking the rules.

Tatsuya is not on a different level compared to Masaki, the battle was like that only because it was a game and that their magics are limited.

Rewatch 1:05 - 1:40 of the first episode and say that again
Jul 19, 2014 1:49 PM

Jul 2010
millie10468 said:
According to Fujibayashi Kyouko in this episode, there is only one person on the same level as Tatsuya in Japan and a rumored 49 in the entire world.

Nah, she was talking about

Also, Kyouko
Jul 19, 2014 1:52 PM

Dec 2011
As expected, one episode fully dedicated to the battle.
This episode was brilliant in many ways. I really liked the animation when Tatsuya dispersed those 16 (well, 14 to be precise) bullets. More please!

Marzan said:
Wasn't the Cardinal guy supposed to be supersmart or something? After seeing all that TS has done, how can he be surprised that he came up with something new for the fight against them? It was to be expected that he would change things up.

He underestimated Tatsuya, and to some degree he also underestimated Mikihiko and Leo.
Jul 19, 2014 1:52 PM

Oct 2013
Marzan said:

I keep on waiting for Miyuki to jump into oni-sama's arms and just plant him a big wet kiss on the lips, society and family be damned.

My main problem was that Cardinal should've known that tatsuya would've had a counter measure to his bullet shot. I would believe that they should've known that tatsuya knew of their abilities and should've tried a new tactic to pressure them in a match where they clearly had the advantage.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

Jul 19, 2014 1:54 PM

Mar 2013
Go10 said:
kickmesign said:
episode, there is only one person on the same level as Tatsuya in Japan and a rumored 49 in the entire world.

Jul 19, 2014 1:55 PM
May 2014
Tatsuya literally pulled of a Lay On Hands (WoW, paladin insta-cast that heals for full hp(technically the same amount of the paladin's hp, but you get what happens when it's self-cast)). Pure awesome.
Oct 2012
Dreyar said:
-SNIP-

It's called modesty, also he was saying he can't win if they don't focus him. However because Masaki, was concerned on focusing on Tatsuya they had a chance. Remember, this match wasn't to KO each other it was protect/invade the monolith.
Jan 2014
Leo and Mikihiko did look silly with those magic robes on. Erika spilled her marbles.

This is probably the best episode of the anime so far. The action was pretty intense.

Tatsuya literally crushed Masaki's confidence. Mikihiko did a good job at defeating Shinkurou, as well.

Marzan said:

Lol.
Jul 19, 2014 1:56 PM

Jul 2010
Newhopes said:
Go10 said:

No it's not, it will just increase the duration of the fight and will end up in a endurance game, tats said so himself... assuming tatsuya doesnt go all out of course. Otherwise jumonji is done for.
Jul 19, 2014 2:00 PM

Mar 2013
Go10 said:
Newhopes said:

No it's not, it will just increase the duration of the fight and will end up in a endurance game, tats said so himself... assuming tatsuya doesnt go all out of course. Otherwise jumonji is done for.

Nope thats what tatsuya said he probably wouldn't be able to beat Juumonji no matter what he did.

Jul 19, 2014 2:02 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Intense action scenes! And Mikihiko busting out those moves, I'm glad he got some time to shine. For some reason, I really like his character. I actually liked the capes lol, not sure why Erika was laughing :P
Jul 19, 2014 2:05 PM

Oct 2013
tuvarkz said:
Tatsuya literally pulled of a Lay On Hands (WoW, paladin insta-cast that heals for full hp(technically the same amount of the paladin's hp, but you get what happens when it's self-cast)). Pure awesome.

Is this taken from the game AQ by any chance? I'd agree to this too.

Jul 19, 2014 2:09 PM
Apr 2014
antipurefaith said:
fucking wow! that fight those skills fucking deadly!
ninja have nothing on Tatsuya especially not blonde, orange jumpsuit wearing ones

Except that Tatsuya IS a ninja (he's a student of the Shinobi arts and the hints/glimpses of his background other than engineering imply he's some sort of assassin/mercenary/bodyguard/all-of-the-above) he just happens to be one who actually favors the use of stealth and subtlety despite access to magic.
Jul 19, 2014 2:17 PM

May 2011
LinedFury said:
Let's look at this like it would be on a battle field if you want to go there. Misaki covers for his comrade like in normal battle. He gets rushed at and panics and uses his ablities right? Somehow after using his most powerful abilities he is shocked that Tatsuya is still alive, right? Shock is a real factor in battle, a slight hesitation can mean death. Yes, he came close because he was stunned at what had just happened, but it's not an excuse in a real battle. Tatsuya would easily win still. I'm not counting the fact that Tatsuya has flash cast and knows all 16 cardinal codes.

Except for that is not masaki's most powerful ability and that's not a battlefield. If it's a battlefield it would've been an entirely different story, which in the case i doubt masaki would only be using guns to shoot some nerfed magic, let alone hesitate/shock that his opponent is still alive. His family magic allows him to be capable of massacring a battlefield. Even tatsuya said in the beginning of the episode it's going to be tough for him to win if it's an all out fight.

To be fair, both of them are handicapped in this fight, tatsuya is the stronger one and he still has plenty of trump card inside his pocket but i doubt that's all masaki can do either.

Back to the episode, the animation, slowmo scene, and the detail quality of this episode truly amazes me, i hope they did not dump all the budget into this episode because i sure hope there are more episodes like this in the future. Can't wait for the next episode since i'm dying to see all the people's reaction towards tatsuya's win :D

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 19, 2014 2:19 PM

Sep 2012
Finally a decent episode....not sure it makes up for the last 15 though considering we only have 10 to go. Is it non-stop action from here on end? I get the foreshadowing of God's Tatsuya's self-restoration from Miyuki's earlier prank(from ep3? where she decided to go boiler bunny on her brother) but doesn't that make Tatsuya a bonafide Gary Stu? I mean the guy can't die? We already know he's already a tech wiz(surprised no one even knows that he's Taurus Silver considering) and he's pretty much a hacked character that's been downplayed for being a weed, so prove me wrong that he isn't coz I'm calling liar.
..this space under construction...
Jul 19, 2014 2:20 PM

Jul 2013
Wow nicely done.
First episode I've thoroughly enjoyed.
Hm, suppose there's 2 more episodes till this arc is done.
Jul 19, 2014 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
First High vs. Third High was a great bad. Tatsuya is so badass in this episode.
Jul 19, 2014 2:29 PM

Nov 2008
This was the best episode so far, loved it, and loved how badass and strong Tatsuya was this episode. I would be surprised if Masaki doesn't go death after this episode
Jul 19, 2014 2:41 PM

Jun 2013
Tatsuya is so awesome.But still Ichijou almost won :)

Can't wait for next episode.
Jul 19, 2014 2:45 PM
Feb 2014
Hacksuya too strong :3
Jul 19, 2014 2:54 PM
Apr 2014
TraviiN said:
Hacksuya too strong :3

Well, he is a BS magician ;)
Jul 19, 2014 2:56 PM

Mar 2014
So I think Tatsuya may be the most overpowered character i've even seen by now.... His life hacks are just too powerful....
Jul 19, 2014 3:09 PM

Apr 2013
Lol, did they really think they could defeat Tatsuya-oni-sama? Pls.

Seriously tho, he's even more OP than Kirito in SAO. I guess fangirls/boys like this sort of stuff. Great writing.
Jul 19, 2014 3:23 PM

Oct 2013
I still think Izayoi of Mondaiji is the most op character.

Jul 19, 2014 3:26 PM

Mar 2009
Rofl @ Tatsuya's crazy ninja flips.
Jul 19, 2014 3:28 PM

Nov 2012
7thVoid said:
I still think Izayoi of Mondaiji is the most op character.

Izayoi got owned badly in the later volume, Tatsuya is undefeated in the Mahouka-verse though
Jul 19, 2014 3:30 PM

Jul 2014
Sourire said:
Seriously tho, he's even more OP than Kirito in SAO. I guess fangirls/boys like this sort of stuff. Great writing.

Not every story involving the occasional action scene has to be a hero's journey where the main pillar of the plot is the mc facing challenges and developing by overcoming them.
Jul 19, 2014 3:36 PM

Jul 2010
Second good episode of Mahouka in a row? is this real world?
Jul 19, 2014 3:37 PM

Jul 2013
Sourire said:
Lol, did they really think they could defeat Tatsuya-oni-sama? Pls.

I agree that both Kirito and Tatsuya are OP. As someone who reads both series I can say at least this much, you're right. Kirito has a greater amount of plot armor and catches lucky breaks and deus ex machinas when in a tough situation. Tatsuya is so OP that he doesn't need deus ex machinas. His abilities are simply that strong from the start that he is never in any real danger to begin with.
Jul 19, 2014 3:42 PM

Jan 2014
amazing episode
Jul 19, 2014 3:46 PM

Jan 2013
What a fun episode!
Jul 19, 2014 3:49 PM

Jul 2009
Baku219 said:
I agree with best episode yet. I actually understood what was going on without a long-winded explanation. The one true Tatsuya Oniisama wins again.

Dat poem tho...omigoto! subarashii! amazing! Brought tears to my eyes!
Jul 19, 2014 3:59 PM
Mar 2014
Shaniyaz said:
Leo and Mikihiko actually looks pretty cool with those mantles and robes!

First High vs. Third High was awesome, especially Masaki vs. Tatsuya. Loved how Tatsuya dispelled Masaki's attacks just before they activated.
Still couldn't take out all of them but his Flash Casting and Self-Restoration completely covered for the errors.
Even Mayumi couldn't believe her eyes. Well, no one really could. This is the one time I approve of Tatsuya's op-ness since I distaste Masaki.

Mikihiko taking out Shinkurou was pretty awesome too. His resolve was quite strong!
Not sure why he's all gloomy even after they won the match. Perhaps, he still feels incompetent compared to Leo?

Tatsuya saying Leo stole the spotlight was hilarious! Leo was awesome alright but his techniques are nowhere near Tatsuya's level.

Good episode. I assume Tatsuya's motivation behind winning the match was due to Miyuki's words to him earlier. Job well done, Onii-sama! (^^)

About mikihiko.. I think it was more because well... Leo took three of these bullets head on no defenses and came out without a scratch thats pretty inhumane...
Jul 19, 2014 4:02 PM
Jul 2013
Damn, that was amazing fight, I loved the cloaks.
But I also think the fight was to short, If George is that strong with Ichijou, then it would take atleast 2 episodes to determine the winner.
Jul 19, 2014 4:15 PM

Dec 2012
I don't think they needed to spend five minutes on two separate scenes where characters explain how badass Tatsuya is for being able to regenerate. It was apparent that what he did was badass simply from how they portrayed him actually doing it.
Jul 19, 2014 4:26 PM

Feb 2014
Miki's "I'm surrounded by UMAs" face was the best!
Haha...
《Twitter》 《Tumblr》
"Have you ever eaten figs? When you cut a fig in half, it looks like a heart—so some people say its bitter sweetness is like love.
But for me, the flavor of love tastes like the lousy cookies you made ..."

~Hana Yori Dango~
Jul 19, 2014 4:44 PM

Jul 2012
Tatsuya was a beast out there on the field. I would love to see more of him fighting all out.

Great episode!!!
Jul 19, 2014 4:57 PM

Aug 2012
Yep, more of that please.
Jul 19, 2014 5:29 PM

Dec 2010
Lol wow, Tatsuya was OP as fuck. I liked the animation when he was trying to shoot down Masaki's last wave of spells.
Jul 19, 2014 5:35 PM

Aug 2013
Tatsuya is crazy good. I'm not really sure i understand his restart/regen but meh.

Awesome episode and i love the OST.
My Candies:
Jul 19, 2014 5:42 PM

Sep 2009
Definitely a very exciting battle. Probably one of the best episodes I've seen from this series in a long time. I don't mind Tatsuya being OP (and his countering that final attack was all a pretty BA watch), but Masaki and George have been consistently praised so it would've been nice if this battle had been longer so those two wouldn't have been wiped out as if they were small fry like the rest of the Rookie Monolith Code competitors. It seemed like George was taken out way too easily (and he was basically "overpowered" throughout the whole match), but I guess he's known for discovering that algorithm (or other) rather than strength.

That whole Miki UMA thing was very entertaining, but it definitely highlights how wrong the school system is. These three are clearly powerful (as well as Erika), and yet they're Weeds based solely on magic ability? Put into a fight, magic's definitely not the determining factor for your skill but meh. I guess it took this long for this aspect to finally bother me.
Jul 19, 2014 5:44 PM
Oct 2012
opondica said:
I don't think they needed to spend five minutes on two separate scenes where characters explain how badass Tatsuya is for being able to regenerate. It was apparent that what he did was badass simply from how they portrayed him actually doing it.

Actually I liked those scenes, it helped put Tatsuya's powers into context with the rest of the country. That was what was needed, people who normalize Tatsuya's amazing powers instead of going "sugoi sugoi". As for the school guy explaining to the Student Council President how Tatsuya recovered, that was needed as well, since it masks what he is really doing (and it sort of explains why Tatsuya trained in that ancient magic to serve as a cover).

Plus nice fight scene, not dragged out over and done with in one. I like that they didn't try to drag it out to two. Gave the other two characters a chance to shine.

So overall, first well balanced episode that was clearly above average.
Jul 19, 2014 5:46 PM

Sep 2012
Duri1n said:
Well... at least Madhouse didnt screw this one up.

The action was great. Finally, got to see the thigs I envisioned in the Light Novels animated. Tatsuya's battle with Masaki was awesome. It was actually more epic than I expected.

Only 2 things. 1. It's weird Miyuki is crying. I think there was an explanation for it in the LN, but I can't rmb, and i dont think the anime made it too clear why she wud cry... meh...
2. Another thing they didnt make clear was why Mikihiko was so confused at the end. Even I was confused deapite reading the LN...

I'm a bit worried abt the pacing. It's already episode 16. Theres jus 8 episodes left. The OP implies they'll be animating the Yokohama arc, but the 9SC arc isnt even over. I have no idea how they'll try and fit in Yokohama arc in less than 8 episodes... hat arc is one of my favourite arcs, but also one of the longest and more complex arcs...

I bet all my gold in WoW they'll skip the entire vol.5 (maybe the changes in Student Council will be mentioned) and cram whole Yokohama in 7-8 eps. I guess we'll only see 1-2 more eps of 9SC (more like the 2) and then instant skip. I wouldn't be amazed if the first chapter of vol.5 would go out as an OVA.
DrimsonJul 19, 2014 5:51 PM
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.