Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 10, 2009 6:31 PM

Apr 2008
The "classic" topic.

To help people in need to find something similar with this masterpiece, naturally it wont be as good, as there is yet to be made a romantic anime as good as Maison Ikkoku, but there are also some titles worth to be mentioned around here.

First recommendation above all is to read the manga in case you've just watched the anime or the other way around, if you've just read the manga. Believe me, it will be a excellent experience.

And then I'll start with some other Rumiko Takahashi works, Urusei Yatsura (Whose second part of the series shares the same director of Maison Ikkoku) and Ranma. Yes, they explore the wacky comedy universe that you've felt in the beginning of Maison Ikkoku and lead it to another levels, with their own extraterrestrial world (Urusei) and martial arts (Ranma). They also have some romance, but they are most of the time absolutely deprived of anything serious, they're pure entertaining comedy at it's very best.

For some more serious stuff, we have also a pretty good Japanese author, Mitsuru Adachi. Along with Rumiko Takahashi, they are the big names of Romantic comedy in Japan, leading a 30+ year carer full of success.
The most famous Adachi title is Touch, pretty big name even today, it had a big impact in the sene at the time, and still has today. Definitely my top pick recommendation to anyone wanting something in a near vein as Maison Ikkoku.
Pretty much everything Adachi has done is high quality, but I would pick some more titles as; Rough, Miyuki, Hiatari Ryoukou, H2, Katsu and most recently Cross Game.

And of course this post wouldn't be completed without the "classic" recommendation of Kimagure Orange Road.

If you've watched the titles above and understand or are familiar with this universe feel free to input more recommendations here please.
RobdeFROct 10, 2009 6:35 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 12, 2009 8:38 PM

Feb 2009
Love Hina. Kind of a more "hyper" and less realistic Maison Ikkoku, but still fun all the same.

Oct 13, 2009 4:03 AM

Apr 2008
I should have seen that one coming. Love Hina is more like a anime highly influenced by Maison Ikkoku, it had lot's of references there and even several scenes clearly "copied". But I guess it can be a recommendation too.
Dec 23, 2009 3:15 AM

Jun 2009
try isao takahata's only yesterday and umino chika's honey and clover (more dramatic than MI). both are good slice-of-life works.

I am a guy. Don't let my avatar, Yukishiro Tomoe, fool you.
Dec 23, 2009 12:22 PM

Apr 2008
I have to say that this Recommendation topic is for everyone, not just me. I got tired of looking for a anime/manga similar to Maison Ikkoku all these years, it just don't exist.
But there are nice romantic stories around, and Honey and Clover is one of them.

I don't clearly see the link with Only Yesterday though. Perhaps that it's also similar to real life. I see Only Yesterday more similar with, for example, Millennium Actress.
Apr 14, 2010 1:17 PM

Apr 2008
I haven't found any anime that is very similar to Maison Ikkoku at all. Some people compare the Christmas OVA episode of Love Hina to the Christmas OVA episode of Oh My Goddess, but what can you compare the two Maison Ikkoku Christmas episodes to?

The few times I've even thought of Maison Ikkoku for a slight moment from seeing something else:

1. Love Hina anime, game and other stuff - Keitaro saving Naru from falling off the roof and accidentally grabbing her chest. The falling down misunderstanding as someone walks through the front door. And a couple times when the tenants are making fun of Keitaro's non-assertiveness and bad luck reminded me of MI.

2. Doukyuusei Climax Files OVA second episode - when Issei Futamata's (Godai's voice actor) character falls in love with a girl named Kyoko and he yells out "Kyoko-san Suki Ja!!!". Man that was funny. :D

4. Piyo apron parodies in other anime such as Kurogane no Linebarrels.

4. Reading Taeko-chan's best ending in her Sentimental Graffiti 2 game scenario especially when she said something like:

"Please don't be the one to die".

She worked at a nursery school. Her previous love interest had died in a traffic accident. After that incident, Taeko had was heartbroken and tried to avoid getting into another relationship involving the game's protagonist.
Terence_TApr 16, 2010 6:59 PM
Apr 24, 2010 6:01 AM

Apr 2009
Here are a couple of recommendations, though nothing I've found tops Maison Ikkoku for romance anime:

Macross, oddly enough. The original TV series especially, and of course the movie adaptation "Do You Remember Love". That's the closest to Maison Ikkoku in the romance department, the most satisfying other one I can think of.

And also Rurouni Kenshin, the TV series (up through episode 61), and the entire manga run. It's mostly an epic heroic fighting saga, but the cute romantic relationship between Kenshin and Kaoru reminds me of Maison Ikkoku a bit. Especially the latter part, which is in the manga.
Jun 19, 2010 12:01 PM

Apr 2008
The love triangle in Macross is really well built. That's a great recommendation there.

Now, the Rurouni Kenshin recommendation is over the border if you ask me.

I've remebered 9 Love Stories that I watched not long ago. A beautiful OVA composed of 9 short love stories by the same mangaka. Absolutely a Seinen romance title.
Jan 17, 2012 8:28 AM

Feb 2009
the series "Touch" is often recommended for those who like MI, and I have to say that for the first several episodes, it's shaping up pretty well.

Oct 27, 2015 7:43 PM
Sep 2015
Let's get this topic back on the menu boys. I recommend Bokura Wa Minna Kawaisou (The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Bad Behavior). It's pretty similar to the series with a I like her, does she like me romance, with hints of her feelings along the way, just like in MI. They even meet the same way Godai and Kyoko meet. One is leaving the boarding house, as the other movss in, so the male MC decides to stay. Only draw back is a second season hasn't been made yet, but there's still hope. I recommend you go and watch it.
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Puddintane?status=7&order=4&order2=0

•"Akane's really a nice girl, she's just a violent maniac"- Kisume

•"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
When I became a man, I put aside childish things."- The Apostle Paul, (quoted in Ghost in the Shell)

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» I've just finished Maison Ikkoku, here are my thoughts...

RobdeFR - Sep 13, 2009

1 by abotreika »»
May 1, 2014 2:21 PM

» Favourite MI moments

RobdeFR - Jun 11, 2009

27 by abotreika »»
May 1, 2014 2:06 PM

» Favorite supporting character in MI?

ArnoldK - Nov 17, 2009

11 by Gurenn »»
Nov 28, 2013 5:56 PM

» Maison Ikkoku: What You Never Knew

HisokaHajime - Mar 7, 2010

7 by Vigyk »»
Nov 25, 2011 8:09 PM

» When was the last time you read/watched MI?

RobdeFR - Aug 7, 2009

8 by RobdeFR »»
Feb 14, 2010 11:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.