Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 19, 2014 3:39 PM

May 2014
Parasprite said:
I am taking Japanese only because it is one of the only foreign languages at my university that fits in my schedule and it was more appealing than Italian or Portuguese. It wasn't my first choice at all.
It will still be an interesting class, I am mainly interested in learning how to write in Japanese and learning about the alphabet and stuff.

There's three alphabets, Kanji has over 40,000 characters but in Japan you'll only be using about 2,000.
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Jun 19, 2014 3:41 PM

May 2014
syshim said:
I've never been inclined to learn Japanese. I have no use for it in the real world, and it seems like a lot of work just to watch some dumb anime without subtitles. It'd be more practical to learn something like Spanish if you live in America.

Just to watch some dumb anime without subtitles, or to go to Japan knowing the language.

It can be way more useful than you just made it seem.
Jun 19, 2014 3:45 PM

Aug 2012
StarBurzt said:
DarkSyndicate said:
Maybe we could all be conversing in Japanese in the MAL forums xD

Are you satan... Just imagine people trying to talk japanese while only knowing a few words... Mal would become like a weeaboo gathering place.

Hasn't MAL already became a gathering place for weeaboos?
Jun 19, 2014 3:49 PM

Feb 2014
DarkSyndicate said:
Parasprite said:
I am taking Japanese only because it is one of the only foreign languages at my university that fits in my schedule and it was more appealing than Italian or Portuguese. It wasn't my first choice at all.
It will still be an interesting class, I am mainly interested in learning how to write in Japanese and learning about the alphabet and stuff.

There's three alphabets, Kanji has over 40,000 characters but in Japan you'll only be using about 2,000.

Well, indeed you will need more than 2000. You should be ok with that number most of the time, but even the jouyou kanji are 2136 and these are just the basic ones.
Jun 19, 2014 3:56 PM

Jun 2012
DarkSyndicate said:
It can be way more useful than you just made it seem.

Yeah, useful if you're so extremely invested in your anime/manga, but not really so much in the real world. Unless you intend to operate a business in Japan, or live there, I see no use in learning such a tough language for merely entertainment.
получить деньги моего друга
Jun 19, 2014 4:00 PM

Feb 2014
syshim said:

Yeah, useful if you're so extremely invested in your anime/manga, but not really so much in the real world. Unless you intend to operate a business in Japan, or live there, I see no use in learning a language for merely entertainment.

Learning languages that you like can be a hobby. I learned 2 languages that way. It can be helpful (other than anything that can be described as a hobby) with any kind of job relationship in japan, or studying there. If you'd like too visit the country some time, basic Japanese would be almost necessary.
Jun 19, 2014 4:07 PM

Jun 2012
hentai_eucli said:
Learning languages that you like can be a hobby. I learned 2 languages that way. It can be helpful (other than anything that can be described as a hobby) with any kind of job relationship in japan, or studying there. If you'd like too visit the country some time, basic Japanese would be almost necessary.

Yeah, I know. I guess it's more of a personal thing for me. I definitely do not see it as a hobby, but I learned Spanish in the past because I thought it would be useful in the future (not really). From what else you've said, I can see the reasoning behind it, but it's not something that'd be personally useful for me.
получить деньги моего друга
Jun 19, 2014 4:13 PM

Sep 2009
syshim said:
I've never been inclined to learn Japanese. I have no use for it in the real world, and it seems like a lot of work just to watch some dumb anime without subtitles. It'd be more practical to learn something like Spanish if you live in America.

^ I agree with this post.
Japanese is probably one of THE most unproductive languages to learn, for many, many reasons.
Coming from someone with a Japanese bg.

[EDIT] Please try learning a productive languages, it will help you in the long-run.
lutoJun 19, 2014 4:42 PM
Jun 19, 2014 4:17 PM
Mar 2012
For someone already familiar with an Asian language, it isn't as difficult to learn Japanese as one who starts with a clean slate since we've already been discliplined to that sort of learning curve and structure. And luckily enough, some Chinese characters have the same meaning as Japanese kanji such as 人 and 水. Unfortunately, I haven't cared to pursue more Japanese studies and am actually forgetting, including Chinese.
Jun 19, 2014 4:40 PM

Sep 2008
alexpte said:
For someone already familiar with an Asian language, it isn't as difficult to learn Japanese as one who starts with a clean slate since we've already been discliplined to that sort of learning curve and structure.

Not if that other Asian language is Korean; that's not going to help you much.
Jun 19, 2014 4:54 PM

Mar 2013
Japanese is it's own linguistic family. Other asian languages won't help you with japanese in the way that knowing english helps with other romance languages.

Hell if you know english you're like 20-40% of the way there with french vocabulary.

alexpte said:
For someone already familiar with an Asian language, it isn't as difficult to learn Japanese as one who starts with a clean slate since we've already been discliplined to that sort of learning curve and structure.

I would argue that it is much easier to start with a clean state because, basically, the only way to have a truly clean slate is to be an infant.

uvina said:
[EDIT] Please try learning a productive languages, it will help you in the long-run.

Like what? German? Mandarin? Esperanto? English is the closest thing there is to a global lingua franca.
Jun 19, 2014 5:25 PM

Sep 2009
fst said:

uvina said:

Like what? German? Mandarin? Esperanto? English is the closest thing there is to a global lingua franca.

I'm saying that there are FAR better languages to learn than Japanese for productivity.....
Jun 19, 2014 5:29 PM

Mar 2013
Kanji is a pain to learn.
zetsubousei_heroJun 19, 2014 5:36 PM
Jun 19, 2014 7:39 PM

Mar 2012
What about portuguese? The best language.

O que falar de português seus viados da poha.
Jun 19, 2014 7:39 PM
Feb 2014
Oh my how hard did you try? Look at the mess you're making, clean your room!
Jun 19, 2014 7:41 PM

Mar 2014
hentai_eucli said:
I've been learning Japanese for some time now.

Its an awesome feeling to be able to watch raw episodes :)

+ don't need subtitles for hentai, woohoo!

Both those are pluses.
Any tips on learning Japanese? Like where to start what things to use? Is rosetta stone even helpful. Which books to get. stuff like that.
Jun 19, 2014 8:08 PM

Dec 2013
DarkSyndicate said:
I'm pretty sure it's because of anime and manga, etc inspiring people to learn Japanese, but I just find it really funny how so many of them give up before they've even gotten down the hiragana and katakana alphabets.

Nope, you're wrong. I wanted to learn Japanese way before I started watching anime. The Japanese language and Japan has always interested me. I recently started learning Japanese and took me a few tries to learn 'Haji me ma shi te. Watashi wa Joshua de su. Yo ro shku onegai shimasu.'
Jun 19, 2014 8:17 PM

May 2014
uvina said:
fst said:

I'm saying that there are FAR better languages to learn than Japanese for productivity.....

Define productivity... just because more people speak a certain language doesn't make it more productive to know it. I wanted to learn Japanese so I'd be able to speak/chat on the internet with anybody who knows the language, and go to Japan. Do you think I'd learn a language so I could watch a show without subtitles?
Jun 19, 2014 8:17 PM

Feb 2008
I'm reading untranslated visual novels about four months in. You'd be surprised how fast you can learn when motivated.
Jun 19, 2014 8:18 PM

Jan 2013
I'm currently learning Japanese at Language school. obviously because of anime and manga but also because I have a interest in Japanese culture and people. I can read both Hiragana and Katakana and know basic grammar. But my progress has been slow because I haven't had time to study at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 19, 2014 8:20 PM

May 2014
AnimeHasFallen said:
hentai_eucli said:
I've been learning Japanese for some time now.

Its an awesome feeling to be able to watch raw episodes :)

+ don't need subtitles for hentai, woohoo!

Both those are pluses.
Any tips on learning Japanese? Like where to start what things to use? Is rosetta stone even helpful. Which books to get. stuff like that.

Watch Japanesepod101 on youtube, and if you go to japanese.about.com, just look for whatever you want to learn I guess

But start with the hiragana and katakana alphabets.
Jun 19, 2014 8:22 PM

Jul 2013
Sugoii desu
Jun 19, 2014 8:22 PM

Sep 2013
I'm learning out of personal interest and because it might prove useful in the near future. Though the lack of motivation, about life in general, is kind of counterproductive.
Jun 19, 2014 9:03 PM
Apr 2014
I tested out of first semester Japanese at my school. It's not bad once you get used to it.
More Power for the Starpower 🌟💫
Jun 19, 2014 9:30 PM

Mar 2012
I don't see as useless. All of the knowledge always has some use.
Another language can't be different.

Some people want to go to Japan. Better if they knew japanese. I'm like those people ;)
Jun 19, 2014 10:57 PM

Jun 2014
I got around hiragana and katakana in a few days. And when to read up on kanji. My second language is mandarin, so certain kanji actually make sense to me. The reading on the other hand, is pure madness. They have different reading for a single kanji >.>

Japanese is a hard language and im a slow learner, i just read a lil in my free time as i have some interest in it
Jun 19, 2014 11:30 PM

Nov 2013
I gradually learn it while watching anime, not really inspired or dedicated.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jun 19, 2014 11:52 PM

Jun 2014
What an interesting fact. I'll be sure to store it in the back of my mind for safe keeping.
Jun 19, 2014 11:59 PM

Oct 2012
I myself am fluent in Japanese
Jun 20, 2014 12:04 AM

Jun 2014
Another one for the vault.
Jun 20, 2014 12:04 AM

Mar 2014
Pretty sure u can't learn Japanese just by watching a whole bunch of anime. xD
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jun 20, 2014 12:05 AM

Jun 2014
I beg to differ. xD
Jun 20, 2014 12:07 AM

Jun 2014
StrawberryRain said:

u can learn a few words or two when u come across them multiple times. Other than that, i dont think it really works
Jun 20, 2014 12:08 AM

Oct 2012
StrawberryRain said:
OP never implied that
Jun 20, 2014 12:09 AM

Jan 2014
It takes years to learn Japanese. I've study the language for a few years, and I'm still not fluent in it. It takes determination to study Japanese. I did it because I Needed to learn Japanese. If you're a person that wants to learn for fun, or just so you can read manga in Raw, then I would say it's not worth it. The time and dedication to learn this language can be really time consuming.
Jun 20, 2014 12:13 AM

Nov 2012
I remember reading somewhere about how good it is for your brain/memory to be able to memorize Kanji, it helps with some type of memory which I forgot the name...
Other than that, it's always fun to know another language, even if you're not interested in Japanese anime/manga enterteinment. A language that doesn't use roman alphabet looks even more interesting.

I've memorized ~300 kanji on kanjidamage so far, although I haven't touched Japanese for about a month I'm pretty sure I still remember most of them.
Jun 20, 2014 12:14 AM

Jun 2014
It's fun to make it a goal to memorize at least one new word everyday.
Jun 20, 2014 12:17 AM

Sep 2012
If I ever plan on studying a second language then it'll be Japanese. I'm gonna sound like a really stereotypical anime fan in saying this but I think it's the most beautiful sounding out of all the languages.

I've also already have a heard start because of anime and it'll benefit me in my hobby, so why not?
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jun 20, 2014 12:44 AM

Mar 2012
StrawberryRain said:

Why?? I'm fluent in english by playing rpg games, mmo and watching tv series...

About Japanese, i'm already know a hundred of words tops, but still, just because i can't do it, doens't applies that anyone can...Just saying.

Btw, Japanese ain't useless, i want live in Japan, so better learn their language.
Jun 20, 2014 12:45 AM

Mar 2013
Korrvo said:
If I ever plan on studying a second language then it'll be Japanese. I'm gonna sound like a really stereotypical anime fan in saying this but I think it's the most beautiful sounding out of all the languages.

I've also already have a heard start because of anime and it'll benefit me in my hobby, so why not?

French is better, if only for cursing with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX8nMTuMHWY

StrawberryRain said:

Magic Schoolbus taught me english.
Jun 20, 2014 12:48 AM

Oct 2012
goldslash said:
StrawberryRain said:

About Japanese, i'm already know a hundred of words tops, but still, just because i can't do it, doens't applies that anyone can...Just saying.

Btw, Japanese ain't useless, i want live in Japan, so better learn their language.
Before trying to be fluent in Japanese, you might wanna take some English lessons
Jun 20, 2014 1:06 AM

Mar 2012
jayss said:
Before trying to be fluent in Japanese, you might wanna take some English lessons

There has only minor errors, that i don't bother commiting, 'cause in a forum, for me what matters is speed...
Btw, my certificate says otherwise.I already did the TOELF... I pass, so it's okay for me, is proof enough.

just because i couldn't do it, doens't mean that anyone couldn't. Whatever man, fuck you.

And fluent mean that i can speak,read,write and understand. Not that i must follow the grammar a hundred percent. I dindn't say to be cool, just to prove that it's possible learning, only doing common things, without taking class or studying it.

Btw, you need to take lessons to understand and process what you read, i never said that i'm trying to be fluent in Japanese, dumbass.
GoldSlashJun 20, 2014 1:13 AM
Jun 20, 2014 1:12 AM

Oct 2012
goldslash said:
jayss said:
Btw, you need to take lessons to, i never did that i'm trying to be fluent in Japanese, dumbass.
I take my words back, you're clearly very fluent.
Jun 20, 2014 1:19 AM

Mar 2012
jayss said:
I take my words back, you're clearly very fluent.

Wut? Did you change something? Read again:
I never said that i'm trying to be fluent in Japanese

Just read what fluent mean:

So, basically, if i understand something around seventy five percent, already can be considered fluent.

And yeah, dude, you are clearly very funny... Actually you misunderstand the term, [i]fluent[i].

Damn canadians...
GoldSlashJun 20, 2014 1:26 AM
Jun 20, 2014 1:25 AM

Jul 2013
well I can read and watch raw manga/anime if I were to learn their language but using their language in this forum? that's just taking the word weeaboo to a whole new level
Jun 20, 2014 1:29 AM

Oct 2012
goldslash said:
Damn canadians...

:DD
Jun 20, 2014 1:41 AM

Mar 2012
xDrayken said:
goldslash said:
Damn canadians...

What about Canadians? I'm a Canadian who speaks perfect Canadian French, Parisian(France) French, American English, and learning Japanese with perfect pronounciations.

Dude, i don't know, but Canadians are more perfectionists, most of the americans that i know, don't are bothered by the wrong spelling...
And yeah, isn't like that i don't need improve my english, but the last level are harder than the starters one. It would be easy going to U.S.A instead...

Btw, keep up the good work!! Just a doubt... Are there differences beetwen Canadian French and French? Or American English x Canadian English??
Jun 20, 2014 2:09 AM

Nov 2012
goldslash said:

Btw, Japanese ain't useless, i want live in Japan, so better learn(?) their language.
Reveja sua fluência.
But I agree that it's possible to learn english just by playing and watching tv, that's partly how I did. But Japanese isn't as shallow and easy as english. The fact japanese doesn't use our alphabet is another big difference.
Jun 20, 2014 2:17 AM

Dec 2011
xDrayken said:
English English (Like the UK)

'British English' is the term you are looking for.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 20, 2014 2:20 AM

Feb 2008
goldslash said:
So, basically, if i understand something around seventy five percent, already can be considered fluent.

Uhh... no. More like 99% or higher. If you can't express yourself with clarity and find yourself confused 30% of the time then you are certainly not fluent. Being able to interact with people in a language is not the same thing as being fluent in the language.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

56 by Pinoffin »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 2 hours ago

13 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 2 hours ago

14 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

6 by Ratris_Decision »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 3 hours ago

21 by -Ryu »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.