Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 17, 2014 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
This is a great work of fiction... If only reality hadn't limited its potential so much... Yet (it was enough for it to be considered the best, and as such) I consider this a masterpiece.
Jun 17, 2014 3:10 PM

Dec 2011
He said it!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 17, 2014 3:15 PM

Apr 2014
great eps. best part has to be when welfin say komugi. meruem was super badas. also i loved seeing pouf cry like a bitch. welfin looks like a sweaty ball sack

http://www.portallos.com.br/arquivo/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/h011.jpg
Jun 17, 2014 3:16 PM

Jul 2013
Jun 17, 2014 3:17 PM

Jan 2011
jimjameswhatever said:
jdbe said:
The way they capture emotions, such as Welfin being within an inch of his life was fantastic. loved the opening, even though it was sad yet a realistic capture of corrupt society. Have a feeling pouf is gonna drop dead any moment, he's annoying me but has made the story so good.

that opening scene's timing with the real world is amazing
Today, brazil is playing in the world cup full of people wealthy enough to buy seats to the game, while miles away there are people dying of starvation and disease.

That opening scene is perfect for one moment I thought Madhouse wouldnt show it
Gintama: "The blade is not to cut down your enemies
Nor is it to cut away your own weakness
A sword isnt meant to protect your body
A sword is meant for protecting your soul"
Jun 17, 2014 3:18 PM

Jan 2014
Interested to see what the Gyro business is going to play out to.

All in all, it went just as expected. The Rose did in fact have toxins (albeit late acting ones). Welfin lost his hair like Knov (truly terrifying power for anyone who just spent a ton of money on hair products), and sent his message.
Now the King will probably weasel out a few moments with Komugi to express his feelings and we can wrap everything up before they kick the bucket.

Ha! And Welfin thought he could be king. I guess the whole Gyro moment was just a fleeting fancy, and he was headed in the wrong direction to implement that anyway.

Now in retrospect, I wonder how the differentiation between the ants who remembered their pasts and those who didn't played out. It's not like conviction had any big part to play in that.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 17, 2014 3:22 PM

Feb 2013
Oh hey a Vietnam War reference http://i.imgur.com/RZxamU5.jpg
Jun 17, 2014 3:23 PM

Sep 2011
Again, kudos to Mr. Daiki Nakamura.

Jun 17, 2014 3:23 PM

Apr 2014
cronosteso23 said:
some people are going to hate me but I have to say this:

Meruem you are one of the best villains perhaps the best villain on any shonen.
Meruem is the example of character development not the idiots: Obito, Aizen, shichibukais.

i think you have to put a jojo villian in there
Jun 17, 2014 3:25 PM

Jan 2011
Humza_96 said:
cronosteso23 said:

Meruem is the example of character development not the idiots: Obito, Aizen, shichibukais.

The Schichibukais aren't really meant to be 'villains', Or the main enemy of Luffy. I wouldn't really expect much character development from someone like Crocodile who already has everything worked out (in terms of opinions/ideals) after going trough a lot as a pirate.

But yeah Obito and Aizen are just lame.

Cell was an awesome villain

are you being sarcastic??
yeah men Oda Should Learn to write as Togashi does.
Jun 17, 2014 3:30 PM

Jan 2014
Humza_96 said:
cronosteso23 said:

The Schichibukais aren't really meant to be 'villains', Or the main enemy of Luffy. I wouldn't really expect much character development from someone like Crocodile who already has everything worked out (in terms of opinions/ideals) after going trough a lot as a pirate.

But yeah Obito and Aizen are just lame.

Cell was an awesome villain

Don't bother with this here. It will get you nowhere. Surprisingly, some simple things go over the heads of those who claim sophistication. A HxH thread is not the place to discuss that. Carry it over to the General Shounen thread.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 17, 2014 3:40 PM
Mar 2014
The_Mad_Wizard said:
Finally! The monologue! They animated it. ^_^

But what the hell, Madhouse?! >_>

It should be Palm! >_<

at the end of the last episode she did say it, the exact word the narrator said this ep.
Jun 17, 2014 3:46 PM

May 2013
Greatness personified, this episode was. I can't even imagine how powerful the end to this arc will be.

Truth was the overriding theme this episode. I lost track of how many times it along with "lies" was mentioned throughout. It's beautifully poetic because this episode served as the climax and and end of the character arc of two Ants: Pouf and Welfin. The three-way confrontation that occurred here was put together deliberately.

We have Pouf and Welfin, two characters that achieved their objectives primarily through lies, deceit, and manipulation. They are both put in a situation where they can't lie. The King's enhanced abilities allow him to read anyone before him like an open book. Pouf and Welfin's tactics are rendered utterly useless. How do they react?

By resorting to the truth, of course. Pouf says it himself; he'll get what he wants by telling the truth. Welfin tells the truth as well. He doesn't lie, doesn't run away, but instead screams his true feelings, that he will never accept Meruem as King, that his only king is Gyro. Both speak the truth, and in the end, it saved their lives far more effectively than lying would have. Welfin already had a great character moment back with Ikalgo, and it is continued here.

More interesting than that, though, is the episode's, and indeed the Chimera Ant arc as well, paradoxical message. It opened with a montage of human cruelty, condemning the species as a whole, and emphasizing in particular how some of us live in great prosperity while willingly allowing other helpless people to starve and die in poverty. This is a direct callback to the specific point that the King mentioned when he spoke with Netero before their battle: that people living a wealthy lifestyle on one side of the border allow death and misery to reign on the other side. And of course, this is all valid. History shows us that human cruelty knows no bounds. Yet, the end of this episode, where the King wishes Welfin a happy life as a human, and where the narrator implies that the King has officially shed his malicious side, suggests that to possess humanity is a good thing.

That's why this arc's message is not so cut-and-dried. Togashi is not saying that humanity is evil, the Ants were angels, end of story. This is a complex, ambiguous mesh of themes and characters, and the overall message is, in my opinion, more balanced. Yes, humanity is capable of unrivaled brutality and evil, but it also possesses good qualities. All this has been implied throughout the arc, but never as blatantly and sharply as this episode. Acquiring human emotions was both the rise and fall of the Chimera Ants, as it is for humanity itself. And people like the King and Komugi are examples of the goodness humanity is capable of. The world is miserable, but it's not beyond hope. Human nature is not inherently evil. Humans can be good and bad; it seems Togashi thinks that we simply opt to be evil when we have the choice not to.

Of course, all of this is even more complex and nuanced than that. Perhaps by virtue of human nature, we end up becoming monsters anyways. Look to Gon's story for an example of this; a little boy forced to grow up and become a heinous beast out of a very human desire to avenge someone dear to him. Yet, that core humanity is really what resulted in Gon becoming so inhumane throughout the invasion. This arc can be looked at with a much more cynical, and indeed more Togashi-like perspective: we are often monsters, and ironically it is our humanity that leads to that. There can be more than one interpretation, which is what makes it so fascinating. Regardless, Togashi's overall point is abundantly clear: by contrasting us with the Ants, it becomes clear that we are more monstrous than they'll ever be. Our inhumanity is what killed the King, with his new found humanity, didn't it? (Yes, he's not dead so far, but he's sure to fall behind his Royal Guards due to the radiation.)

Interesting bit; we saw a human skull show up behind Meruem in this episode, though not in the same malicious context as with Netero. Still, it's fitting, as Meruem , like humanity, has evolved a great deal and has become much more human, now that he remembers Komugi and all she taught him. Again, though, Meruem's transformation is portrayed as positive, despite the skull, which was earlier used to indicate the evil of the human race. I think it may have been mentioned, but when as Gon was transforming (or evolving...) in his fight with Pitou, his face looked similar to that. Interesting use of the skull imagery, isn't it?

Looking back at the arc as a whole, it's especially brilliant how many facets of the human condition that Togashi explored throughout the arc, both through the humans and Ants. Vengeance (Gon), anger (Youpi and Knuckle), love (Komugi and the King), war (the whole story), loyalty (the Guards), etc. Brilliant, really.

Pouf's character arc culminated in this episode, and it's clear in the end that he was a failure. It's rather tragic, that for all his devotion and loyalty, in the end he meant almost nothing to the King. He will die broken, a victim of his intense and passionate emotions. For everything he tried, the bond between Komugi and the King could not be broken.

I'm pleased that Welfin lived. I've taken a great liking to him, and would have never have guessed when he was introduced that he'd be key in eliminating the King as a threat, or restoring his memories of Komugi. A clever and unexpected move from Togashi, and the best part is that it all ties in seamlessly with Welfin's character arc. That's not as easy as it looks. And as mentioned before, it's fitting that in the end the truth ultimately saved Welfin's life, symbolically completing his character arc. And for all his lamenting that Ikalgo had threw him off by changing him, it's clear that Welfin is glad he's the way he is now.

And finally, the best scene of the episode: The King remembering Komugi. They're my two favorite characters of this arc, so it was a great moments, and it's fitting the arc's end focus on them. Representing Komugi's value to the King by showing him and her alone playing Gungi in a vast, blissful field was fantastic and beautiful. A feeble, blind human girl is what this ferocious, mighty being most values. Love it.

I'm not prepared for next week in the least.
MrAMJun 17, 2014 3:52 PM
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Jun 17, 2014 3:48 PM

Jul 2010
Being Pouf is suffering. So who's Gyro?
And, if Pouf is poisoned, it means that also Meruem has poison in him? Since he comes from the same site where Netero exploded himself.
Jun 17, 2014 3:55 PM

Sep 2011
diivil said:
The_Mad_Wizard said:
Finally! The monologue! They animated it. ^_^

But what the hell, Madhouse?! >_>

It should be Palm! >_<

at the end of the last episode she did say it, the exact word the narrator said this ep.

That's not enough!

I was waiting for that dem thing like a Gon fan waiting for the Pitou fight. :(
I feel like I was betrayed. -_-
Jun 17, 2014 3:55 PM

Feb 2013
Akanezora said:
And, if Pouf is poisoned, it means that also Meruem has poison in him? Since he comes from the same site where Netero exploded himself.

What a genius you are.
Jun 17, 2014 3:59 PM

Jan 2013
Akanezora said:

yeah. He had nosebleed too in previous episode.
Jun 17, 2014 4:00 PM

Jan 2011
WELFIN INTROSPECTION

I like this part of the episode 134
Jun 17, 2014 4:02 PM

Jul 2010
R- said:
Akanezora said:

What a genius you are.

IKR.
Jun 17, 2014 4:13 PM

Nov 2013
Just an amazing episode, I'm glad they animated the montage, it really makes you think, for example, everyone who got a ticket is enjoying themselves at the World cup in Brazil without a care in the world while a couple of miles away, someone is starving in the slums while to get by in live.

This is prime example of why Meruem is my favourite villain of all time, you just don't see character development like that everyday. Although best get tissues next week ladies and gentlemen, you're going to need them.
"Now, let us drink. Let us drink. Drink to the human race. In every age, there will be good humans and bad humans. Human life is too long to devote to reproduction, yet too short to devote to learning, in the helix of time. Perhaps that is why humans succumb to desire and seek release. Despite the fact that life is complete with the sun, the land and poetry." Supreme Leader Diego(Real) (Hunter x Hunter 2011)
Jun 17, 2014 4:16 PM

May 2011
the episode was well animated and the intensity was really killing .. poor Welfin, he became 100 years older just by a mere looking of the king's eyes.
it's so confusing, how such a invincible creature like the king is gonna die in the next few episodes which left.. that doesn't make sense at all.. maybe Komugi will kill him.. after she knows how evil Meruem is, she'll make a condition if she wins, he will kill himself :/ lol

anyone else notice that the only characters that appeared in the episode were puff, Meruem, and Welfin.

Airsyk said:
Vanser said:
Just watched the episode again, this time with subs and realized at the end that Meruem says to Welfin, "I hope you you find him... And if possible, I hope you can live as a human." In the manga it was, "I wish I could meet with that person.. and if possible it would be nice to live as a human."

The manga translation makes way more sense because Pouf begins to cry after he hears that. Don't know why Pouf would cry just because he would say those words to Welfin. Can anyone say which translation is the correct one?

Eh? Even if the translation is off, both of the translations would still cause Pouf to cry in the end. The King now value's human life as equal or better to an ants which is the last thing Pouf wanted to happen.

i think the king won't ever say something like "I want to live as a human", even if that was a wish only, the king's dignity refuses to let him says something that stupid.
Jun 17, 2014 4:18 PM

Jun 2013
blooddrunk said:
Did anyone else find the preview hilarious?
i assume youre talking about meruem asking "will you call me by my real name?" and then gon saying "ME?!?". that shit had me dying. xD

Cant wait for next episode. perfect ending for an arc. next episode will probably be in my top 3 episodes for this arc.
Jun 17, 2014 4:22 PM

May 2012
Satan-sama said:
the episode was well animated and the intensity was really killing .. poor Welfin, he became 100 years older just by a mere looking of the king's eyes.
it's so confusing, how such a invincible creature like the king is gonna die in the next few episodes which left.. that doesn't make sense at all.. maybe Komugi will kill him.. after she knows how evil Meruem is, she'll make a condition if she wins, he will kill himself :/ lol

I mean they say at the beginning of the episode how he will die
Jun 17, 2014 4:27 PM

May 2011
bleachjoj said:
Satan-sama said:

Really ? however strong that poison was, i don't think someone with an immense amount of aura like the king will die from it.
Jun 17, 2014 4:29 PM

Oct 2009
This was not stated in the manga/anime but Pitou was probably the only ant capable of healing the King. Her En would have helped finding/killing komugi also. I have a feeling that if she survived, the end would have been a lot different.
Jun 17, 2014 4:35 PM

Jun 2009
TheDodo said:
This was not stated in the manga/anime but Pitou was probably the only ant capable of healing the King. Her En would have helped finding/killing komugi also. I have a feeling that if she survived, the end would have been a lot different.

Fuck you, Gon.

Seriously, though. I doubt it. Healing physical injuries is quite a bit different from poison, I think.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 17, 2014 4:40 PM

Feb 2013
The character development is amazing all-around. Can't possibly imagine how they're gonna end this great arc.
Jun 17, 2014 4:42 PM

Feb 2012
Satan-sama said:
bleachjoj said:

Really ? however strong that poison was, i don't think someone with an immense amount of aura like the king will die from it.

I guess when the cells that compose your body start to deteriorate, no amount of En can do much to heal it.

It is unlike the first time Meruem had "died" since his royal guards had provided new cells from which he built his body from again.

May 2011
TheDodo said:

So Pitou's feeling of relief after she got smashed her head by Gon was a big mistake.
If she'd stayed alive and Gon took all of his anger out on the king, i think she would have been able to heal him again.. Pitou was the real deal after all. (1+ for Gon)

May 2012
Satan-sama said:
bleachjoj said:

I mean aura has nothing to do with poison. The King is still an a bug not an all powerful being. Remember Uvo was really strong but could died if that Shadow Beast just used poison in his fangs.

Dec 2012
This is simply a masterpiece. 5/5
Jun 17, 2014 4:45 PM

May 2012
Satan-sama said:
TheDodo said:

So Pitou's feeling of relief after she got smashed her head by Gon was a big mistake.
If she'd stayed alive and Gon took all of his anger out on the king, i think she would have been able to heal him again.. Pitou was the real deal after all. (1+ for Gon)

Pitou wouldn't have been able to do anything. Again in the episode they say the poison is constantly evolving and creating new poison. Nothing suggest that pitou can heal disease, we just saw her heal physical injuries. Pitou would of just been infected as well.
Jun 17, 2014 4:48 PM
May 2014
Yes, I was happy with this episode.

I still don't really like the way the 'poison' seems to kill the three of them.

I kinda was hoping that the king would kill pouf in a weird sorda ironic loyalty death sort of way.

The king + komugi is absolutely fantastic. Great thing going for HxH.

And I really enjoyed Welfin here, he played an important role and I was on the edge of my seat thinking what I would do in his shoes.

Great episode.
Jun 17, 2014 4:50 PM

May 2011
bleachjoj said:
Satan-sama said:

I mean aura has nothing to do with poison. The King is still an a bug not an all powerful being. Remember Uvo was really strong but could died if that Shadow Beast just used poison in his fangs.

You can't compare a mere human like Uvo with Meruem, also he looks so healthy and unharmed unlike Pouf.
Jun 17, 2014 4:53 PM

Oct 2009
bleachjoj said:
Satan-sama said:

Pitou wouldn't have been able to do anything. Again in the episode they say the poison is constantly evolving and creating new poison. Nothing suggest that pitou can heal disease, we just saw her heal physical injuries. Pitou would of just been infected as well.

Alright the following is pure speculation:

I think Pitou was capable of a lot more. I am not sure you would perform a surgery without knowing anything about a body's chemistry. Also I think she was the one who created the ant version of Palm. There are a couple of references about Pitou's experiments in the manga that suggest her bio-chemistry skills.

Another thing is even if she couldn't heal the King, nothing tells us she would get infected, Pouf and Yupi were the only ones infected besides the King so far because there went within the explosion's area. She could have taken out the remaining hunters and declare herself Queen of the ants.
Jun 17, 2014 4:57 PM

Sep 2013
I really wanted madhouse to end with meruem to meet komugi but oh well next weekfor sure
next week is the finale of this arc :*(

Such a good arc!!
Jun 17, 2014 4:59 PM

Apr 2011
Yo momma's so scary I grew 50 years older
Jun 17, 2014 5:10 PM

Dec 2010
Wow, this episode. This anime truly never stops amazing me.
Jun 17, 2014 5:13 PM

May 2012
TheDodo said:
bleachjoj said:

Alright the following is pure speculation:

I think Pitou was capable of a lot more. I am not sure you would perform a surgery without knowing anything about a body's chemistry. Also I think she was the one who created the ant version of Palm. There are a couple of references about Pitou's experiments in the manga that suggest her bio-chemistry skills.

Another thing is even if she couldn't heal the King, nothing tells us she would get infected, Pouf and Yupi were the only ones infected besides the King so far because there went within the explosion's area. She could have taken out the remaining hunters and declare herself Queen of the ants.

Yeah it does say she would be infected. The poison is constantly evolving and creates a chain reaction of death. If Pitou hung around the King long enough it would be over for her too.

Satan-sama said:
bleachjoj said:

You can't compare a mere human like Uvo with Meruem, also he looks so healthy and unharmed unlike Pouf.

He was bleeding from his nose just an episode ago
Jun 17, 2014 5:15 PM

Oct 2013
The inner monologue in this episode was over 9000! It was a ok episode though. Are they really going to wrap up this arc in just one episode? Since I've heard people saying ant arc is confirmed to end in episode 135.
Jun 17, 2014 5:19 PM

Oct 2009
bleachjoj said:

Yeah it does say she would be infected. The poison is constantly evolving and creates a chain reaction of death. If Pitou hung around the King long enough it would be over for her too.

By that reasoning, Meleoron and Knuckle should be dead too.
Jun 17, 2014 5:24 PM

Feb 2012
TheDodo said:
bleachjoj said:

the chain reaction happens within the body. Kind of like a cancer.
in other words, the poison is metaphorically cancer, but not in the context of the show
Jun 17, 2014 5:26 PM

Oct 2009
jimjameswhatever said:
TheDodo said:

in other words, the poison is metaphorically cancer, but not in the context of the show

I think you missed my point.
Jun 17, 2014 5:29 PM

Feb 2012
TheDodo said:
jimjameswhatever said:

I wasn't really arguing against you, I was just putting that out there since it's pertinent. If anything, my point supports whatever you posted beforehand.
Jun 17, 2014 5:32 PM

Oct 2009
jimjameswhatever said:
TheDodo said:

I wasn't really arguing against you, I was just putting that out there since it's pertinent. If anything, my point supports whatever you posted beforehand.

Alright... :)
Jun 17, 2014 5:34 PM

Jun 2012
Fantastic art direction this week
Especially the shots when Welfin was going crazy when he realized the King was going to eat him

Also was happy they finally used the OST Elegy of the Dynast
Jun 17, 2014 5:41 PM

Nov 2013
HybridMBL said:
Fantastic art direction this week
Especially the shots when Welfin was going crazy when he realized the King was going to eat him

Also was happy they finally used the OST Elegy of the Dynast

I was wondering when they were going to use that track as well and it fits so well with the scene.

OT: For those of you who asked why they couldn't have just planted the bomb in the palace, well there's your answer, the poison
"Now, let us drink. Let us drink. Drink to the human race. In every age, there will be good humans and bad humans. Human life is too long to devote to reproduction, yet too short to devote to learning, in the helix of time. Perhaps that is why humans succumb to desire and seek release. Despite the fact that life is complete with the sun, the land and poetry." Supreme Leader Diego(Real) (Hunter x Hunter 2011)
Jun 17, 2014 5:53 PM

Jan 2009
lol Welfin survived his intellect saved him
Jun 17, 2014 5:57 PM

Jul 2010
Stop calling it poison, people.
It's understandable that the author changed the name, but we all know it's radiation and I hope everybody knows its effects.

Also, the "I won't die until I'm dead" thing is a reference of some sort? If it is, can anyone explain it to me?

Next week it'll be beautiful.
Jun 17, 2014 5:57 PM

Jan 2008
j0x said:
lol Welfin survived his intellect saved him

Didn't save his hair though.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 24, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.