MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Why So Highly Rated?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Howl no Ugoku Shiro »» Why So Highly Rated?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
09-27-09, 10:51 PM

I can not understand why this movie is held in such high regard on this site. Howl's Moving Castle was a complete mess and had absolutely no flow to it. The only reason I could fathom that this movie has any inkling of a fanbase is strictly due to Miyazaki's influence.

09-27-09, 10:54 PM

People tend to get caught up in the magic of the film, and forget about pacing and all that kind of thing.

I myself thoroughly enjoyed it, but looking back I can see it was indeed a mess in many cases.

09-27-09, 10:54 PM

That's your opinion. Sure, Howl had scripting and flow issues, but it was a good movie, and had solid animation.

But, that's my opinion, so I'm pretty sure I'll get as flamed as you're going to.

EDIT:
BigSimo said:
People tend to get caught up in the magic of the film, and forget about pacing and all that kind of thing.

I myself thoroughly enjoyed it, but looking back I can see it was indeed a mess in many cases.

SIMO!
All of my FAL results so far.

09-28-09, 12:08 PM

Good animation does not warrant a top 30 ranking. I thought it was going to be really good after the first ten minutes but then it just all fell apart. =[
Modified by XxMalcolm, 09-30-09, 9:54 PM

09-30-09, 7:17 PM

chinlamp said:
That's your opinion. Sure, Howl had scripting and flow issues, but it was a good movie, and had solid animation.

But, that's my opinion, so I'm pretty sure I'll get as flamed as you're going to.

EDIT:
BigSimo said:

SIMO!

CHINLAMP!

09-30-09, 7:19 PM

BigSimo said:
chinlamp said:

EDIT:
BigSimo said:

SIMO!

CHINLAMP!

Took you friggin' long enou- I mean,

SIMO! (again XD)

Seriously though, we need more conversation here, I'm interested in what others think of this persons views, and mine and yours as well.
All of my FAL results so far.

10-11-09, 6:19 AM

Why?

1) Originality (even for Miyazaki, it's much more dynamic than most of his other movies).
2) Quality of the animation.
3) Movie is both kind and serious; childish and adult; simple, but has sufficient main idea.
4) It's heartfelt and has well-revealed adorable characters.

As for me, I rated it 8/10. It's not a masterpiece, but very good.

10-20-09, 9:42 PM

BioMax said:
Why?

1) Originality (even for Miyazaki, it's much more dynamic than most of his other movies).
2) Quality of the animation.
3) Movie is both kind and serious; childish and adult; simple, but has sufficient main idea.
4) It's heartfelt and has well-revealed adorable characters.

As for me, I rated it 8/10. It's not a masterpiece, but very good.

1) It was based off of a terribly written novel. It was hardly an original piece of work. Unless of course you consider the horrible plot holes/brutal pacing which leads to many wtf how did that happen or why did that happen moments. Then sure it is original.

2) Oh ok so good to know that if it looks good that means all of the flaws are A-OK!

3) It is so simple in fact that the viewer is given the bare bones of the story. Little is known about any of the characters.

4) Well-revealed characters that we are given pretty much no information on.

The only good thing about this movie is the first ten minutes and the animation is great. I think it is a good candidate for his worst work

10-21-09, 2:58 AM

XxMalcolm said:

1) It was based off of a terribly written novel. It was hardly an original piece of work. Unless of course you consider the horrible plot holes/brutal pacing which leads to many wtf how did that happen or why did that happen moments. Then sure it is original.

I don't really care on what novel it's based, 'cause I don't like to read 'em (especially in such genre). Horrible plot holes? Example, please, what was so, as you said, "horrible"? Also, "brutal pacing" is very subjective characterization, don't you think? As you can see, the majority doesn't think so (running ahead, I want to explain my point: I don't want to say "majority always rules", but in this particular case it is so -- the pacing is just normal, it fits the movie -- not all things you don't like are someway bad).
XxMalcolm said:

2) Oh ok so good to know that if it looks good that means all of the flaws are A-OK!

4 point, my friend, 4 points... no maximalism, if you please. And animation is a "+".
XxMalcolm said:

3) It is so simple in fact that the viewer is given the bare bones of the story. Little is known about any of the characters.

It's not a detective story. Of course, its plot is not as Monster has! :) I can't understand what did you expect from such genre.
XxMalcolm said:

Strange to here it. I'd want to know how, in what way it is bad for the whole story. Maybe there's a lack of facts [you wanted to know], but their inner selves revealed quite good though. I strongly doubt this is really a defect for someone, except you: character is not definitely bad if there's not much info about him -- their feelings and and ongoings are more important than just info (I hope, you agree with me in this point).
XxMalcolm said:

The only good thing about this movie is the first ten minutes and the animation is great. I think it is a good candidate for his worst work

At first I thought you just don't like Miyazaki's style, but this is nonsense: animation is absolutely not worse than in his other works. Not even a bit worse... if not better.

10-21-09, 3:01 AM

Well, I thought it was okay. It was thought-provoking. However, it's not my top anime.
It also felt like the ending was rushed.

10-21-09, 3:44 AM

BioMax said:
XxMalcolm said:

I don't really care on what novel it's based, 'cause I don't like to read 'em (especially in such genre). Horrible plot holes? Example, please, what was so, as you said, "horrible"? Also, "brutal pacing" is very subjective characterization, don't you think? As you can see, the majority doesn't think so (running ahead, I want to explain my point: I don't want to say "majority always rules", but in this particular case it is so -- the pacing is just normal, it fits the movie -- not all things you don't like are someway bad).
XxMalcolm said:

4 point, my friend, 4 points... no maximalism, if you please. And animation is a "+".
XxMalcolm said:

It's not a detective story. Of course, its plot is not as Monster has! :) I can't understand what did you expect from such genre.
XxMalcolm said:

Strange to here it. I'd want to know how, in what way it is bad for the whole story. Maybe there's a lack of facts [you wanted to know], but their inner selves revealed quite good though. I strongly doubt this is really a defect for someone, except you: character is not definitely bad if there's not much info about him -- their feelings and and ongoings are more important than just info (I hope, you agree with me in this point).
XxMalcolm said:

At first I thought you just don't like Miyazaki's style, but this is nonsense: animation is absolutely not worse than in his other works. Not even a bit worse... if not better.

Clearly you are a huge Miyazaki fanboy and will not be removed from that fanclub anytime soon. I will probably reply within a few days since I do not religiously write essays defending a bad movie.

Oh and the animation was great as I said. Unfortunately you can not read very well.

As a whole this is a bad movie.
Modified by XxMalcolm, 09-02-13, 1:23 PM

10-21-09, 4:22 AM

XxMalcolm said:
Oh and the animation was great as I said. Unfortunately you can not read very well.

Shame on me, I've made a mistake x) .
XxMalcolm said:
Clearly you are a huge Miyazaki fanboy and will not be removed from that fanclub anytime soon. I will probably reply within a few days since I do not religiously right essays defending a bad movie.

No, joker, only 2 movies, others will be watched... maybe. Was simply surprised with your claims.

10-21-09, 3:39 PM

I gave it a 7. It was entertaining, nothing brilliant about it though.

12-07-09, 1:29 PM

It's like a fairy tale, don't take it too seriously.

Sure it has massive plot holes, but that hardly bothered me in this movie. It has something magical, it just drew me in. I couldn't stop smiling while watching!

12-09-09, 2:56 PM

Miyazaki magic + feel good story, that's all. I gave it a 6. It was kinda amusing but nothing I'd ever watch again.

01-02-10, 12:56 AM

Gotta love butthurt people arguing over stuff.

01-02-10, 1:48 AM

XxMalcolm said:
Clearly you are a huge Miyazaki fanboy and will not be removed from that fanclub anytime soon. I will probably reply within a few days since I do not religiously right essays defending a bad movie.

Congrats on stating your opinion, although childishly resorting to name calling works against you, making your opinion seem less credible, since you can't even show respect for someone else when they state theirs.

Anyway, I like several of Miyazaki's works such as Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Howl's Moving Castle. In the early 2000's, most of those movies were released in the US, and generally could be found in sets of two later on. They were advertised as family films, and I believe that's partially why some of those titles are more known than his others, and thus more popular.

I don't have a problem with the lack of info on certain aspects of the story, especially since a lot of his movies contain references that aren't common in the West, and sitting there, attempting to explain it would simply ruin the atmosphere of it. If you can't sit there and enjoy it for what it is, then that's too bad for you, but sitting here and arguing about it is a waste of time. It's called MyAnimeList for a reason, not YourAnimeListForMe. People get different things from movies. Every time I think of some of his movies, it reminds me of watching them with my family. If you can get something good from this movie, that's great. If not then simply, rate it as such and move on to the next one.

01-18-10, 8:27 AM

The reason? Howl. XD You have to admit that he's cool and handsome... well you don't have to, but I think a large fanbase for this movie come from girls who just love watching the developing relationship between Howl and Sophie. This isn't one of my top favorites, but it's up there. It's true that the plot does have major holes in in, like that whole thing at the palace is one example. I was very confused and I still don't really understand parts of the plot. And I'm sure there are also the Miyazaki fans who simply love this movie because of that, though I admit that there are directors less widely known who make animated movies that are easier to understand and just as loveable as the movies directed by Miyazaki.

And that's my two cents on the matter. XD

03-04-10, 11:53 PM

xxxHolic_Waltz said:
XxMalcolm said:

Congrats on stating your opinion, although childishly resorting to name calling works against you, making your opinion seem less credible, since you can't even show respect for someone else when they state theirs.

Anyway, I like several of Miyazaki's works such as Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Howl's Moving Castle. In the early 2000's, most of those movies were released in the US, and generally could be found in sets of two later on. They were advertised as family films, and I believe that's partially why some of those titles are more known than his others, and thus more popular.

I don't have a problem with the lack of info on certain aspects of the story, especially since a lot of his movies contain references that aren't common in the West, and sitting there, attempting to explain it would simply ruin the atmosphere of it. If you can't sit there and enjoy it for what it is, then that's too bad for you, but sitting here and arguing about it is a waste of time. It's called MyAnimeList for a reason, not YourAnimeListForMe. People get different things from movies. Every time I think of some of his movies, it reminds me of watching them with my family. If you can get something good from this movie, that's great. If not then simply, rate it as such and move on to the next one.

Are you seriously denying the fact that Miyazaki does not have fanboys/girls? And if you aren't, then how is that childish namecalling?

I watched this again to give it a second chance but it was still very subpar

03-05-10, 11:56 AM

I think that it's just how the movie is. I thoroughly enjoyed it, more than a most movies (anime or non-anime) that I have seen recently. I was ready to jump the gun and give it a 9, but then I calmed myself down and thought about why it deserves that rating. I realized it definitely didn't, so I lowered my rating.

I think what happens is most people rate it off of how they enjoyed it right after seeing it without thinking much about it. This still gets an 8 from me because, in spite of all the mistakes or flaws, I have enjoyed this far more than other recent movies. So technically it deserves lower in my opinion, but I'd feel guilty for doing it if I did.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices