MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Why So Highly Rated?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Howl no Ugoku Shiro »» Why So Highly Rated?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
#1
09-27-09, 10:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 145
I can not understand why this movie is held in such high regard on this site. Howl's Moving Castle was a complete mess and had absolutely no flow to it. The only reason I could fathom that this movie has any inkling of a fanbase is strictly due to Miyazaki's influence.

 
#2
09-27-09, 10:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5282
People tend to get caught up in the magic of the film, and forget about pacing and all that kind of thing.

I myself thoroughly enjoyed it, but looking back I can see it was indeed a mess in many cases.
 
#3
09-27-09, 10:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1865
That's your opinion. Sure, Howl had scripting and flow issues, but it was a good movie, and had solid animation.

But, that's my opinion, so I'm pretty sure I'll get as flamed as you're going to.

EDIT:
BigSimo said:
People tend to get caught up in the magic of the film, and forget about pacing and all that kind of thing.

I myself thoroughly enjoyed it, but looking back I can see it was indeed a mess in many cases.


SIMO!
All of my FAL results so far.
 
#4
09-28-09, 12:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 145
Good animation does not warrant a top 30 ranking. I thought it was going to be really good after the first ten minutes but then it just all fell apart. =[
Modified by XxMalcolm, 09-30-09, 9:54 PM
 
#5
09-30-09, 7:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5282
chinlamp said:
That's your opinion. Sure, Howl had scripting and flow issues, but it was a good movie, and had solid animation.

But, that's my opinion, so I'm pretty sure I'll get as flamed as you're going to.

EDIT:
BigSimo said:
People tend to get caught up in the magic of the film, and forget about pacing and all that kind of thing.

I myself thoroughly enjoyed it, but looking back I can see it was indeed a mess in many cases.


SIMO!

CHINLAMP!
 
#6
09-30-09, 7:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1865
BigSimo said:
chinlamp said:
That's your opinion. Sure, Howl had scripting and flow issues, but it was a good movie, and had solid animation.

But, that's my opinion, so I'm pretty sure I'll get as flamed as you're going to.

EDIT:
BigSimo said:
People tend to get caught up in the magic of the film, and forget about pacing and all that kind of thing.

I myself thoroughly enjoyed it, but looking back I can see it was indeed a mess in many cases.


SIMO!

CHINLAMP!


Took you friggin' long enou- I mean,

SIMO! (again XD)

Seriously though, we need more conversation here, I'm interested in what others think of this persons views, and mine and yours as well.
All of my FAL results so far.
 
#7
10-11-09, 6:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 236
Why?

1) Originality (even for Miyazaki, it's much more dynamic than most of his other movies).
2) Quality of the animation.
3) Movie is both kind and serious; childish and adult; simple, but has sufficient main idea.
4) It's heartfelt and has well-revealed adorable characters.

As for me, I rated it 8/10. It's not a masterpiece, but very good.
 
#8
10-20-09, 9:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 145
BioMax said:
Why?

1) Originality (even for Miyazaki, it's much more dynamic than most of his other movies).
2) Quality of the animation.
3) Movie is both kind and serious; childish and adult; simple, but has sufficient main idea.
4) It's heartfelt and has well-revealed adorable characters.

As for me, I rated it 8/10. It's not a masterpiece, but very good.


1) It was based off of a terribly written novel. It was hardly an original piece of work. Unless of course you consider the horrible plot holes/brutal pacing which leads to many wtf how did that happen or why did that happen moments. Then sure it is original.

2) Oh ok so good to know that if it looks good that means all of the flaws are A-OK!

3) It is so simple in fact that the viewer is given the bare bones of the story. Little is known about any of the characters.

4) Well-revealed characters that we are given pretty much no information on.


The only good thing about this movie is the first ten minutes and the animation is great. I think it is a good candidate for his worst work
 
#9
10-21-09, 2:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 236
XxMalcolm said:

1) It was based off of a terribly written novel. It was hardly an original piece of work. Unless of course you consider the horrible plot holes/brutal pacing which leads to many wtf how did that happen or why did that happen moments. Then sure it is original.

I don't really care on what novel it's based, 'cause I don't like to read 'em (especially in such genre). Horrible plot holes? Example, please, what was so, as you said, "horrible"? Also, "brutal pacing" is very subjective characterization, don't you think? As you can see, the majority doesn't think so (running ahead, I want to explain my point: I don't want to say "majority always rules", but in this particular case it is so -- the pacing is just normal, it fits the movie -- not all things you don't like are someway bad).
XxMalcolm said:

2) Oh ok so good to know that if it looks good that means all of the flaws are A-OK!

4 point, my friend, 4 points... no maximalism, if you please. And animation is a "+".
XxMalcolm said:

3) It is so simple in fact that the viewer is given the bare bones of the story. Little is known about any of the characters.

It's not a detective story. Of course, its plot is not as Monster has! :) I can't understand what did you expect from such genre.
XxMalcolm said:

4) Well-revealed characters that we are given pretty much no information on.

Strange to here it. I'd want to know how, in what way it is bad for the whole story. Maybe there's a lack of facts [you wanted to know], but their inner selves revealed quite good though. I strongly doubt this is really a defect for someone, except you: character is not definitely bad if there's not much info about him -- their feelings and and ongoings are more important than just info (I hope, you agree with me in this point).
XxMalcolm said:

The only good thing about this movie is the first ten minutes and the animation is great. I think it is a good candidate for his worst work

At first I thought you just don't like Miyazaki's style, but this is nonsense: animation is absolutely not worse than in his other works. Not even a bit worse... if not better.
 
10-21-09, 3:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 67069
Well, I thought it was okay. It was thought-provoking. However, it's not my top anime.
It also felt like the ending was rushed.
 
10-21-09, 3:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 145
BioMax said:
XxMalcolm said:

1) It was based off of a terribly written novel. It was hardly an original piece of work. Unless of course you consider the horrible plot holes/brutal pacing which leads to many wtf how did that happen or why did that happen moments. Then sure it is original.

I don't really care on what novel it's based, 'cause I don't like to read 'em (especially in such genre). Horrible plot holes? Example, please, what was so, as you said, "horrible"? Also, "brutal pacing" is very subjective characterization, don't you think? As you can see, the majority doesn't think so (running ahead, I want to explain my point: I don't want to say "majority always rules", but in this particular case it is so -- the pacing is just normal, it fits the movie -- not all things you don't like are someway bad).
XxMalcolm said:

2) Oh ok so good to know that if it looks good that means all of the flaws are A-OK!

4 point, my friend, 4 points... no maximalism, if you please. And animation is a "+".
XxMalcolm said:

3) It is so simple in fact that the viewer is given the bare bones of the story. Little is known about any of the characters.

It's not a detective story. Of course, its plot is not as Monster has! :) I can't understand what did you expect from such genre.
XxMalcolm said:

4) Well-revealed characters that we are given pretty much no information on.

Strange to here it. I'd want to know how, in what way it is bad for the whole story. Maybe there's a lack of facts [you wanted to know], but their inner selves revealed quite good though. I strongly doubt this is really a defect for someone, except you: character is not definitely bad if there's not much info about him -- their feelings and and ongoings are more important than just info (I hope, you agree with me in this point).
XxMalcolm said:

The only good thing about this movie is the first ten minutes and the animation is great. I think it is a good candidate for his worst work

At first I thought you just don't like Miyazaki's style, but this is nonsense: animation is absolutely not worse than in his other works. Not even a bit worse... if not better.


Clearly you are a huge Miyazaki fanboy and will not be removed from that fanclub anytime soon. I will probably reply within a few days since I do not religiously write essays defending a bad movie.

Oh and the animation was great as I said. Unfortunately you can not read very well.

As a whole this is a bad movie.
Modified by XxMalcolm, 09-02-13, 1:23 PM
 
10-21-09, 4:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 236
XxMalcolm said:
Oh and the animation was great as I said. Unfortunately you can not read very well.

Shame on me, I've made a mistake x) .
XxMalcolm said:
Clearly you are a huge Miyazaki fanboy and will not be removed from that fanclub anytime soon. I will probably reply within a few days since I do not religiously right essays defending a bad movie.

No, joker, only 2 movies, others will be watched... maybe. Was simply surprised with your claims.
 
10-21-09, 3:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1600
I gave it a 7. It was entertaining, nothing brilliant about it though.
 
12-07-09, 1:29 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 176
It's like a fairy tale, don't take it too seriously.

Sure it has massive plot holes, but that hardly bothered me in this movie. It has something magical, it just drew me in. I couldn't stop smiling while watching!
 
12-09-09, 2:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 240
Miyazaki magic + feel good story, that's all. I gave it a 6. It was kinda amusing but nothing I'd ever watch again.
 
01-02-10, 12:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 62
Gotta love butthurt people arguing over stuff.
 
01-02-10, 1:48 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 308
XxMalcolm said:
Clearly you are a huge Miyazaki fanboy and will not be removed from that fanclub anytime soon. I will probably reply within a few days since I do not religiously right essays defending a bad movie.

Oh and the animation was great as I said. Unfortunately you can not read very well.

As a whole this is a bad movie.


Congrats on stating your opinion, although childishly resorting to name calling works against you, making your opinion seem less credible, since you can't even show respect for someone else when they state theirs.

Anyway, I like several of Miyazaki's works such as Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Howl's Moving Castle. In the early 2000's, most of those movies were released in the US, and generally could be found in sets of two later on. They were advertised as family films, and I believe that's partially why some of those titles are more known than his others, and thus more popular.

I don't have a problem with the lack of info on certain aspects of the story, especially since a lot of his movies contain references that aren't common in the West, and sitting there, attempting to explain it would simply ruin the atmosphere of it. If you can't sit there and enjoy it for what it is, then that's too bad for you, but sitting here and arguing about it is a waste of time. It's called MyAnimeList for a reason, not YourAnimeListForMe. People get different things from movies. Every time I think of some of his movies, it reminds me of watching them with my family. If you can get something good from this movie, that's great. If not then simply, rate it as such and move on to the next one.
 
01-18-10, 8:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1
The reason? Howl. XD You have to admit that he's cool and handsome... well you don't have to, but I think a large fanbase for this movie come from girls who just love watching the developing relationship between Howl and Sophie. This isn't one of my top favorites, but it's up there. It's true that the plot does have major holes in in, like that whole thing at the palace is one example. I was very confused and I still don't really understand parts of the plot. And I'm sure there are also the Miyazaki fans who simply love this movie because of that, though I admit that there are directors less widely known who make animated movies that are easier to understand and just as loveable as the movies directed by Miyazaki.

And that's my two cents on the matter. XD
 
03-04-10, 11:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 145
xxxHolic_Waltz said:
XxMalcolm said:
Clearly you are a huge Miyazaki fanboy and will not be removed from that fanclub anytime soon. I will probably reply within a few days since I do not religiously right essays defending a bad movie.

Oh and the animation was great as I said. Unfortunately you can not read very well.

As a whole this is a bad movie.


Congrats on stating your opinion, although childishly resorting to name calling works against you, making your opinion seem less credible, since you can't even show respect for someone else when they state theirs.

Anyway, I like several of Miyazaki's works such as Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Howl's Moving Castle. In the early 2000's, most of those movies were released in the US, and generally could be found in sets of two later on. They were advertised as family films, and I believe that's partially why some of those titles are more known than his others, and thus more popular.

I don't have a problem with the lack of info on certain aspects of the story, especially since a lot of his movies contain references that aren't common in the West, and sitting there, attempting to explain it would simply ruin the atmosphere of it. If you can't sit there and enjoy it for what it is, then that's too bad for you, but sitting here and arguing about it is a waste of time. It's called MyAnimeList for a reason, not YourAnimeListForMe. People get different things from movies. Every time I think of some of his movies, it reminds me of watching them with my family. If you can get something good from this movie, that's great. If not then simply, rate it as such and move on to the next one.


Are you seriously denying the fact that Miyazaki does not have fanboys/girls? And if you aren't, then how is that childish namecalling?

I watched this again to give it a second chance but it was still very subpar
 
03-05-10, 11:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 10
I think that it's just how the movie is. I thoroughly enjoyed it, more than a most movies (anime or non-anime) that I have seen recently. I was ready to jump the gun and give it a 9, but then I calmed myself down and thought about why it deserves that rating. I realized it definitely didn't, so I lowered my rating.

I think what happens is most people rate it off of how they enjoyed it right after seeing it without thinking much about it. This still gets an 8 from me because, in spite of all the mistakes or flaws, I have enjoyed this far more than other recent movies. So technically it deserves lower in my opinion, but I'd feel guilty for doing it if I did.
 
04-27-10, 11:21 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 219
Lol I agree it was confusing as hell Lol but what kept me glued to it was the flow of character personailites, and the animation. Mainly Howl's transformations, where were fantastic.

But these fantasy movies I think are supposed to be confusing in general. Much like Ghiblis are too
 
04-27-10, 11:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 82
I'm not sure I really cared for Howl's Moving Castle either. The only reason I watched it to begin with was because my friend's a huge Christian Bale fan, and he played Howl. :/

 
05-10-10, 6:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 65
Well I myself don't understand why people in general find Howls moving castle that good.

It is the only Miyazaki anime that had me almost fall asleep.

But to be honest there are several animes in top 50 which I simply cannot understand is so high up there.

For an instance Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen was good but 7th?

To me nothing really happens in Howl, its just a strange love story with a touch of magic. Sure the animation is great, but the story itself is quite average. If it didn't had Miyazakis signature on it I doubt it would be in top 200.
 
06-04-10, 3:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 2825
Because people are alowed to have seperate opinions. :/

I mean, I understand what you're getting at. I really have no idea why Spirited Away is so highly acclaimed, and yet people seem appalled when I say I didn't really care for it. It's all a matter of opinion.


 
06-13-10, 10:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 23
Each to his own.
Why you dislike something might be the very reason why someone else likes it~
 
06-21-10, 6:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 35
I honestly thought the movie was pretty good overall but as a Miyazaki film, standing on the shoulder of giants like Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, etc., it just doesn't hold. I haven't seen Princess Mononoke in years and I still remember some random scenes and most of the plot points. I can barely remember what happened in Howl's Moving Castle.

But that's just me~
 
06-25-10, 3:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1451
imo howl is the best of his films because it mixes both his dtong points (dramatic flims and whymsicals fils) and............ I love happy endings....... yeah...even if was a little 2 disney-seque but I REALLY NEEDED TO SEE A HAPPY MOVIE
/ 人◕ ‿‿ ◕人 \ / 人◕ ‿‿ ◕人 \ / 人◕ ‿‿ ◕人 \ / 人◕ ‿‿ ◕人 \ / 人◕ ‿‿ ◕人 \
 
06-25-10, 5:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 145
Captain-Z said:
imo howl is the best of his films because it mixes both his dtong points (dramatic flims and whymsicals fils) and............ I love happy endings....... yeah...even if was a little 2 disney-seque but I REALLY NEEDED TO SEE A HAPPY MOVIE


it is definitely not even close to the best.
 
07-17-10, 1:10 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 61
XxMalcolm said:

1) It was based off of a terribly written novel. It was hardly an original piece of work. Unless of course you consider the horrible plot holes/brutal pacing which leads to many wtf how did that happen or why did that happen moments. Then sure it is original.


I loved the novel myself. Diana Wynne Jones - while maybe not quite in the field of Shakespeare or Bronte, still writes very well as someone aiming it at the teen/young adult generation. Much better than the horrible increase of Vampire books flooding in their exceedingly average dozens.

While Howl's Moving Castle is by no means his best work, I still think it's brilliantly done. Yes its confusing, but go on, tell me EXACTLY what's the reasoning and the explanation behind every plot line in Spirited Away, or Castle in the Sky.
I feel the ending was a bit rushed, and the characters barely explained, but it's still a beautiful movie which, at least, has the plot moving on.
Whisper of the Heart was a movie I was slightly disappointed in. I thought something was to happen with the Cat Baron (then again, The Cat Returns was there for that respect) and I felt the plot didn't really move anywhere. Still a beautiful movie, but not my favourite.

Howl's Moving Castle however, is a brilliant adaptation of a good book.




 
08-07-10, 5:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
XxMalcolm said:
Captain-Z said:
imo howl is the best of his films because it mixes both his dtong points (dramatic flims and whymsicals fils) and............ I love happy endings....... yeah...even if was a little 2 disney-seque but I REALLY NEEDED TO SEE A HAPPY MOVIE


it is definitely not even close to the best.


He thinks it's the best, you don't.
Like someone earlier said, what you hate about the movie may be the reason why another person loves it.
 
08-07-10, 5:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1296
I agree with OP on saying that probably is Miyazaki's worst work. At least among those I've seen. It's a good movie but helplessly comparing it to Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Whispers of the Heart and especially Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds... it is, to put it simply, mediocre.

Well, that's just me...
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
 
08-08-10, 5:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 237
Some people love it.

Some people don't.

I respect their opinion no matter what.

I love it. It may have its flaws but I don't care. :)

If i would choose between breathing and loving you, i would use my last breath to say i love you....~
 
08-08-10, 12:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 138
Well... I watched it based on a friend's reccomendation... I was super excited but within the first few minutes I found myself cursing the animation... not that it wasn't good... but it was far from what I was expecting... and not near my type... I hadn't seen any of Miyazaki's work and to quote Captian-Z... it did strike me as a movie Disney would put out -.-
"참 많은 파도가친다.앞으로 여행할길은 너무멀고길지만 멈추면안돼.. 멈춘순간 어른이 되어가는 길을 포기하는 나락으로 떨어진다. 어른이되어가는 경험은 이제부터 시작이지만 아직어리고 젊다는 최고의무기로 아직 눈앞에 보이지않는 더넓은 세상을 밟고싶다."
--김재중
CLICK IF YOU WISH
 
08-08-10, 1:22 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 61
Hum. I loved it. But that's just me.




 
09-22-10, 12:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 81
I too didn't see its glory, so i decided to give it a passable number with 6. I really liked Spirited Away and thought it was an amazing anime -film. This anime had it's moments there and there, but in the end i wasn't amazed like i thought i would be.

This anime is definitely overrated. Maybe it was the finnish dubbing that affected that much? Well, i'll probably never find out, because i'm not that keen to watch this anime again.
 
01-14-11, 10:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Well i think they wanted the movie to be that way, because they wanted you to use you imagination a lot more then you would in other movies so that you would be more into it and apart of it<3 I found this film to be one of the best of its genre out there, so if you watched the movie once and didn't get it you should watch it again and this time think about it a little more. Cuz anything is possible when magic is involved<3 ^.^
 
02-02-11, 3:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 19
XxMalcolm said:
I can not understand why this movie is held in such high regard on this site. Howl's Moving Castle was a complete mess and had absolutely no flow to it. The only reason I could fathom that this movie has any inkling of a fanbase is strictly due to Miyazaki's influence.



You're opinion is strictly personal.

Complete mess and no flow? I don't know what your definition of flow is, but the I never felt like "Come on, make something happan!" while watching the movie.
I was totally grabbed by the movie and trapped in It's magical world. And a mess? Maybe you where sceptical about how many have said this movie is awesome, a masterpiece or similar opinions. That when you looked at the cover and read about it, you thought it was a complete lie and didn't even let yourself think it was good regardless if it is.

The movie is great. As are many by Miyazaki. Miyazakis movies are without a doubt, among the best anime movies in the world if not the best.
But ofcourse you wouldn't like the movie if you don't like this type of movie, these genres or this settings.
 
03-02-11, 8:05 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 284
XxMalcolm said:
I can not understand why this movie is held in such high regard on this site.

Because I said so!~
Joking.
I loved it. It gave me that relaxing feeling. ~_~
 
03-02-11, 7:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 162
Why is it held in such high regard? It was a beautifully imagined and animated film with some very nice characterizations and symbolism, great music (as expected of Joe), a very well paced plot and quite a spectacular ending. It's fun and entertaining enough to capture the attention of kids, and most definitely has enough depth to appeal to older audiences as well. Honestly, I don't see where most of your criticisms come from. While not quite on the same level as Spirited Away, this was nonetheless a very well put-together film. IMO of course.
 
08-07-11, 7:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 11489
I thoroughly enjoyed the film and loved the English voice acting. Howl and Calcifer were great, but I also really liked young sophie played by Emily Mortimer. I got really caught up in the whole thing and initially gave it a 10, but I'm rethinking it due to the massive plot holes so I'll give a 9 out of 10. Maybe a week from now I'll change it back because I enjoyed it as much as Castle in the Sky and I also gave that a 10. Well, now I'm getting tied up in knots so I'll end this post

"If you were to turn into a snake tomorrow and begin devouring humans, and from the same mouth you started devouring humans, you cried out to me 'I love you,' would I still be able to say 'I love you' the same way I do today?"
 
09-19-11, 5:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
In my opinion it was great ,i have feeled that i am a part of that movie
like , kiki's delivery...
i loved the music and the animetion , i think it was also cuz Hisaishi, Joe
he made a mastepice job with the music :)
everybody has their own opinion
and i think its high rated cuz simple reasone - people really did liked it ^-^
 
09-25-11, 1:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 267
mueske said:
It's like a fairy tale, don't take it too seriously.

Sure it has massive plot holes, but that hardly bothered me in this movie. It has something magical, it just drew me in. I couldn't stop smiling while watching!


Me to a T.

The fact is this was a fairy tale/fantasy style movie. It's not supposed to be realistic. True fantasy is whimsical and to a certain extent inexplicable. I rate almost purely on how much I enjoyed it. Which of course is influenced by how it looks, the sound, the character development, the plot, etc... BUT Just because it is lacking in certain areas does not mean that it diminishes my enjoyment of the movie.

Howl's Moving Castle was lacking in plot, and the story doesn't completely add up (might need to watch it again) but I found myself smiling like a little boy on Christmas for most of the movie. I loved the relationship between Sophie and Howl, it was very cute and Sophie is an amazing character.

The message was simple, it was very cute, and I really enjoyed it. It was Great but not a masterpiece due to the plot holes. so 9 out of 10. I wouldn't say it's over rated, it's where it should be.
Modified by Darkmage530, 09-25-11, 1:51 AM
 
10-12-11, 12:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1964
[We don't need spoiler tags since you have to have seen it to consider writing anything here, right?]

Man, I have to agree with you; this film is severely overrated. The only good part to it was Billy Crystal.

I tend to ignore plots for the sake of storytelling, but damn is it hard to ignore this time around. Let's say I forgive not explaining anything clearly and letting the viewer interpret whatever the hell they want like some ambiguous avant-garde theater piece. Let's say I forgive that horrible scene with the mother where she doesn't give a shit about her daughter being twice her own age. Let's say I forgive everyone just chillaxing with the Wicked Witch. Let's say I forgive the massive series of coincidences, like the prince being a scarecrow, Howl meeting Sophie, her finding his castle, etc. It's still a boring movie. I became extremely bored about 20 minutes in. This is ridiculous. I've read 4000-page book series with slow pacing with ease, and I had trouble with a 2-hour cartoon.

Also, I don't let visuals affect my score, but I want to point this out: The art style was pretty inconsistent. Howl's castle looked like it belonged in an isometric 1990's PC game, like Fallout or Command and Conquer. The characters meanwhile looked normal, as did buildings and. Then the flora and ships tended to look like some third category altogether.
 
12-07-11, 6:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
OMG... so many ignorant bastards in here !! Why do u even watch Anime!?
Let meh talk anime step by step with u smart arseholes that are so quick to criticize... One of the biggest trademarks u find in Anime are that alot of things and incidents happen for no reason... without explanation... it just happens, without any questions asked !! It's called being creative and having a sense of imagination !! Somethin u critics will never be able to see... since everything must have a purpose, a logical explanation for everything !!

Have u read the novel which this Anime is based on!? I'm guessing u haven't... There are alot of things Miyazaki had to leave out in order to get what he wanted to suit his style more... and if u have read the novel... Miyazaki stays very true to the book, but ofc he had to cut out alooot of the plot.. or else the movie would have lasted for ever...

But anyways... I can see why it doesn't suit everyone... because it does have some plotholes, but it's still a magical movie which grabs u on this road full of adventure !! It's one of the movies I've ever seen that has given me such a nostalgic feeling while watching !! It will always remain one of mah top animated movies of all time... and when I hear ppl like u critice it... without proper words to back ur ignorance up with... it just makes meh sad.. at least have some solid arguments before coming out and criticize somethin...
 
12-25-11, 7:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 261
hmm I enjoyed the movie, but not as much as I thought I would have, I guess for kids this is a great movie cause they don't really care about a big plot, but for me the story had huge holes in it, and it didn't make sense at all.. but the characters were fun to watch (I liked Howl more with his blond hair though :()

^ You say "why do you even watch anime" I guess I can ask you the same question, when you're really into a story, you want to know why things happen, or why things are that way, I really like fantasy but there is nothing wrong with wanting an explanation of events, that's just how humans are. It doesn't even have to be a "logical explanation" but just something so the story would make any sense.

hmm ok that's enough, I just can't stand the fact that people who like the movie say "they can say their opinion, but someone who doesn't enjoy it that much is automaticly a 'critic' or an 'ignorant bastard'



Please click my adoptions here tnx! =D
 
02-05-12, 5:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 5587
The fact it is fantasy doesn't mean this fantasy doesn't have to show rules and consistency. In the same way you probably can't enjoy a comedy that is not funny to you, I can't enjoy a story that I am not able to understand because the characters behave in several random ways during the plot. I just couldn't get a full portrayal of Sophie because he just changed her attitude towards the events so randomly. And the chain of events may be magical, but that is not an excuse for being incoherent and showing clumsy narration (the ending was specially noteworthy for this).

Do you know a good example of anime that doesn't need any logical chain of events? Perfect Blue. Do you know why? Because it's told through the experience of a mentally sick person. Tell me what is the excuse for Howl's moving castle and I will probably accept it. And no, fantasy doesn't equal to lack of logic, not at all.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.
 
02-10-12, 3:16 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 280
Well, because it's Miyazaki and everybody are all "ooh miyazaki, this movie is masterpiece 10/10 i love it". If this film wasn't Miyazaki's, its rating would have much lower, surely not top 100. I'm not saying that this is a bad movie, i rated it 8/10, but it is indeed too high in the chart.

I'm Italian, so forgive me for grammar errors.

 
04-01-12, 7:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 187
I agree with you topic starter. I don't find this movie to be a masterpiece. I can give it at most 6/10. It lacks of plot. It's a mess. Very confusing. Many questionable parts. Even I have many questions regarding this movie.

Others Miyazaki movies like The Borrower's Arietty and Spirited Away are way better.
My anime collection - Anime Re-Encode
 
05-30-12, 8:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 727
I used to think the same with a lot of you guys; I originally thought it was total mess and things just happened too quickly. But honestly, after another viewing, it just makes much more sense to me, now. If anything, the movie is a little over two hours long, so there are plenty of slow moments that show the films more quiet, contemplative side to the viewers.

I picked up on several more things that I just didn't notice the first time around. It's a film that ask for more than one viewing, because once you do, you may find yourself enjoying it much more.
 
08-02-12, 12:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 939
It had great animation, no doubts about that, but I don't think this movie deserve such a high score.

Incoherent plot, Sophie young voice was awful, many questionable parts.

7/10 in my books.
 
Top
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Advertising     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy