Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 18, 2014 1:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, it's nice to see Eiichirou gain more control with tennis. Looks like Eiichirou vs Takuma again. I didn't expect it this soon already but I had a feeling the match will be different from when they first faced when Takuma wanted to see if he can return his serve.

>Love 15
Oh shit, he scored.

There's still a gap between their skills though. I wonder when Eiichirou will shorten that gap more.
May 18, 2014 4:44 AM

Feb 2014
I like the feeling of self-improvement that this show transmits. It's clear that Takuma is way better but I think Eiichirou will end up surpassing him.
May 18, 2014 5:01 AM

Aug 2008
Nice to listen to Namikawa Daisuke so often (and in a row!)!

Can't wait to see how Eiichirou improved when he'll face his opponent at the next competition! :)
May 18, 2014 5:24 AM

Jan 2014
Eiichiro is improving! Good luck!

Eiichiro managed to score but it was because Takuma didn't know yet. :/

I'm REALLY HYPED UP FOR NEXT WEEK!
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
May 18, 2014 5:35 AM

Aug 2013
It feels a little bit too fast, everything developed in one episode only and now he's on an another tournament
And then next episode depicts that it's been a year and 20 notebooks already.... wow man I wish they would slow it down so that I can see Eii-chan improving to be a full-fledged tennis player

Anyway, can't wait to know more details about the guy who's stronger than Takuma, and also if Eii-chan will be playing with other top players. Eii-chan is so likable I wish I can hug him lololololol
May 18, 2014 5:59 AM

Jul 2010
Eiichiro's control is already this good!?!
He did manage to get one point, a bit surprised that Takuma's true strength is with his delicate touch.
The nine square grid to a hundred square grid xD That control would be unimaginable.
Takuma's fake and movements, glad to see that Takuma isn't going easy. Takuma is a good person as he still plays with Eiichiro. It did turn a bit motivational for the both of them at the end.
Even Takuma has a person that can completely destroy him. Another tournament. Yea, this is going a bit too fast.
May 18, 2014 6:28 AM

Mar 2014
Takuma is turning into one interesting character of this season. I also love Eiichiro-kun, he's such a cute boy.
Looking forward to watching the next tournament. It was a nice episode too :)
May 18, 2014 6:29 AM
Jan 2014
As long as Eiichiro learns to be unpredictable and works on his serve, everything else will be a matter of time.
He can score initially against an opponent but after that his movements can be read easily.
Looks like Takuma isn't as grumpy as I though he was.
Good character developement in this one.
May 18, 2014 7:28 AM

Jun 2012
I wish I had Ei-chan's personality. I give up way too quickly.
May 18, 2014 7:49 AM

Sep 2011
He's already in for another tournament!I hope he goes further on this one.
May 18, 2014 7:52 AM

May 2012
I really like how the story is going :"> Can't wait for the next episode!
May 18, 2014 8:43 AM

Aug 2013
Takuma's tried to discourage Ei-chan but backfired XD!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 18, 2014 8:43 AM

Mar 2010
The end part was brilliant. How Takuma became A-chans dog :D .. or maybe other way around?

Also if you liked that intense feeling during Maruo's and Takuma's play, i can assure you in anime and in manga there will be loads of these moments. This is one of the reason i really like this story ^^
May 18, 2014 9:04 AM

Jul 2011
xchee said:
Takuma's tried to discourage Ei-chan but backfired XD!

Yup! Ei-chan is someone who strives to always improve himself, so naturally he won't give up so easily, not until he knows for certain that it's impossible. For tennis, he knows that he's a beginner; Takuma has been playing tennis for 12 years and Ei-chan knows that it will take some time to reach the same level.

Love this series. And timeskip next episode? Yes! I want to see Ei-chan starting to get OP. XD
May 18, 2014 9:35 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode, such a crucial time for Eiichirou.
I feel like it's at least 100 episodes away from Eiichirou legitimately challenging Takuma. I may have to read the manga
May 18, 2014 10:08 AM

Sep 2008
If there is one thing I really love about his anime (well, I like a lot but this really stands out) it is how often Ei-chan gets crushed by experienced players.

Do not get me wrong, I wanna see him win some games, but I love he's not getting wins over people playing tennis for years. Hell, he barely wins any points.
And that is great. Have him struggle, make him learn from those defeats, adapt and come out stronger. His growing process is very, very well done in this anime.

The slow pacing this anime has doesn't disturb me at all. I can see his learning curve, understand his motivations and see him grow into great player, which I have no doubt he'll become.
May 18, 2014 10:14 AM

May 2013
Eiichiro having a match against Takuma, but lost. That was expected. Another tournament's coming up. Can't wait.
May 18, 2014 10:46 AM

Dec 2011
So Ei-chan is going to start training how he controls where the shots go by knowing how to hit the ball with his racket, control and aim training.

Haha, Takuma vs Ei-chan in a practice match.

We learn how Takuma got completely crushed by someone stronger than him and that's why he hasn't been playing well.

Good, Ei-chan is going to participate in another tournament to get this revenge for losing in the 1st round last time.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
May 18, 2014 12:10 PM

Aug 2010
Really nice :D

The coach must be really hyped XD Eiichiro's talent is amazing. He gained control right away. Any coach would love to train a gem like that XD

If Eiichiro can master the 100 squares then he'll become BA as his control would become top notch.

Nice knowing about Takuma. I wonder who that guy who owned him was? Loved how Ei-chan just asked him about his training schedule and every so he can train more hehe. Takuma will start getting motivated soon too XD

Everytime I think that Ei-chan is training against the strongest all the time I get excited. Really, having the baseline be hardest level of difficulty will make him BA!

Can't wait for Ei-chan to gain more experience nxt tourney :D He should at least win a couple of matches. He also needs to start working on his serves ^^
May 18, 2014 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
Eiichiro is starting his training.

Takuma vs Eiichiro practice match was good.

I'm looking forward to see another tournament.
May 18, 2014 12:17 PM

Nov 2013
kimustache said:
It feels a little bit too fast, everything developed in one episode only and now he's on an another tournament
And then next episode depicts that it's been a year and 20 notebooks already.... wow man I wish they would slow it down so that I can see Eii-chan improving to be a full-fledged tennis player

Anyway, can't wait to know more details about the guy who's stronger than Takuma, and also if Eii-chan will be playing with other top players. Eii-chan is so likable I wish I can hug him lololololol

They're trying to balance it out, sports anime get a tad boring when they get way too technical, not everybody understands the sport nor wants to learn the ins and outs of it, if they did they'd actually play tennis. They came here for the story/experience so there must be a fair amount of time skipping and it's up to the viewer to understand that he's improving as time passes. You don't need multiple episodes dedicated to him learning little things.

It's a 25 episode anime and if they dedicate full episodes to training then they won't be able to fully dedicate episodes towards tournament arcs. I like the way they're taking it, cooldown episodes/training then back to putting that training into real practice with youth tournaments in following episodes.

It also adds to the realism because there's literally no chance he can ever match up to guys like Takuma who've been playing since they were five years old when he has a few months of experience. Big time skips needed!
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 18, 2014 12:34 PM
Nov 2012
This is very minor but I love the fact that during the training the coach said something along the lines of "Good job, you're making fewer mistakes.", implying that Eii-chan is still making mistakes. It seems like usually in sports anime once a character has learned something once, they can do it perfectly 100% of the time afterwards, so I love that they acknowledge that learning something or even mastering something doesn't mean you'll do it flawlessly every time you do it.

I would have loved it if Echizen would have missed a twist serve every now and then.
May 18, 2014 12:40 PM

Apr 2013
this episode was amazing!
kimustache said:

so you want to see him training for months and months? they did the same thing in the previous episodes, they skipped his 4 months training and only showed glimpse of it with flashbacks. IMO I like the way they handle it.
May 18, 2014 1:18 PM

Oct 2011
Dat ball control lesson.

Takuma teaches Ei-chan a lesson.

So Takuma lost to a stronger opponent back then. Hope he gets to face that guy again.

Another tournament!!! Revenge time !!!

Call her Nat-chan : )
May 18, 2014 1:52 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
dragonlight said:
I wish I had Ei-chan's personality. I give up way too quickly.

Agreed, but that's what makes Ei-chan such a refreshing character to watch, he has a realistic outlook on things, such as knowing that he of course couldn't win against Takuma at his level, yet he still won't give up on improving. It's why it's interesting that Takuma thinks that his own brooding over his loss seemed stupid after what Ei-chan said. And I just love how Takuma, despite him looking reluctant to do so, he's still helping Ei-chan out. Playing against high level players is usually an effective (although painful) way to improve quickly. Looking forward to seeing Ei-chan in his next tournament!
May 18, 2014 3:21 PM

Mar 2012
Very awesome episode! :D The OST that played when Ei-chan played against Takuma was epic! And Takuma is becoming quite likable now too. :) It's nice to see why he fell into his slump.

Next episode, another tournament! I hope Ei goes far in this one. ^^
May 18, 2014 3:36 PM

Aug 2009
Very nice episode. Love to see Ei-chan improve with every game! He will definitely go far with that personality of his. I can't wait til he becomes a force to reckoned with, that time is definitely coming!

May 18, 2014 3:53 PM

Sep 2008
300 said:
kimustache said:

so you want to see him training for months and months? they did the same thing in the previous episodes, they skipped his 4 months training and only showed glimpse of it with flashbacks. IMO I like the way they handle it.

The faster pace and time skips only really happen within his first year. I think it is partially due to skipping training but also the manga author not being aware of how long the series would actually run.

It works pretty well though. Once his skills start to get better the matches length start to extend and everything gets even more in depth and entertaining.
May 18, 2014 4:35 PM

Jul 2010
This is too awesome, I really mean it. Ei-chan is improving significantly and is willing to not give up yet, I hope that a nice rivalry between Ei-chan and Takuma builds up. Oh and the pace is fine like this imho.

Looking forward to next week's episode.
May 18, 2014 4:56 PM
Feb 2010
Ei-chan and Takuma's interactions in this episode - priceless! :)

That was a great one. Coach Miura handled both players very well and
pays attention to each individual in order to put their strengths into a playing style.

And Ei-chan is such a realistic character. I love that.
May 18, 2014 5:39 PM
May 2014
Really good. It's probably because I play tennis, but I'd like to see some more training or longer time skips of slowly improving to be more realistic. The 9 squares would still be difficult for me to do, maybe I should try it out sometimes.
May 18, 2014 5:57 PM

Jun 2012
Episode needed more Natsu
May 18, 2014 6:18 PM

Aug 2013
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, it's nice to see Eiichirou gain more control with tennis. Looks like Eiichirou vs Takuma again. I didn't expect it this soon already but I had a feeling the match will be different from when they first faced when Takuma wanted to see if he can return his serve.

>Love 15
Oh shit, he scored.

There's still a gap between their skills though. I wonder when Eiichirou will shorten that gap more.

Realistically, he should pretty much never be able to catch up. Since this is an anime though it'll definitely be around the halfway mark.
swag
May 18, 2014 7:31 PM
Aug 2009
Takuma mentioned that he won the last set in the final 7-6. In the pros you can't win a final set on a tie break. Can anyone tell me if it's different for the school years, or if this was a mistake?
May 18, 2014 8:48 PM
Feb 2014
hmm very faithful to the manga, just bought it last night, the future eps will be very interesting to see, probably will give this show 9/10

improve gradually, start from 0, i love this type of chara..

give me more nat-chan!!
May 18, 2014 9:36 PM
Apr 2014
HammersFan10 said:
Takuma mentioned that he won the last set in the final 7-6. In the pros you can't win a final set on a tie break. Can anyone tell me if it's different for the school years, or if this was a mistake?

Final set tiebreaks in the juniors is extremely common, it is only different if its like the junior finals. Although it depends on the level of the junior tournament.

Also in the pros you can win a final set on a tiebreak. You probably have only watched the australian, wimbledon and french open grand slam tournaments. In pretty much every other tournament and the US open, the final set is normally a tiebreak.
May 18, 2014 9:58 PM

Aug 2013
Vexper said:
They're trying to balance it out, sports anime get a tad boring when they get way too technical, not everybody understands the sport nor wants to learn the ins and outs of it, if they did they'd actually play tennis. They came here for the story/experience so there must be a fair amount of time skipping and it's up to the viewer to understand that he's improving as time passes. You don't need multiple episodes dedicated to him learning little things.

It's a 25 episode anime and if they dedicate full episodes to training then they won't be able to fully dedicate episodes towards tournament arcs. I like the way they're taking it, cooldown episodes/training then back to putting that training into real practice with youth tournaments in following episodes.

It also adds to the realism because there's literally no chance he can ever match up to guys like Takuma who've been playing since they were five years old when he has a few months of experience. Big time skips needed!

300 said:

Thanks for the explanations! Maybe it was tad fast for me because of the huge jump, or maybe I just like how I'm actually enjoying the tennis lessons lmao I expected to actually slow it down by 1 episode more but since they're going in this kind of pace, then I have no choice but just to enjoy the show!
May 18, 2014 11:24 PM

Jul 2013
kimustache said:

Thanks for the explanations! Maybe it was tad fast for me because of the huge jump, or maybe I just like how I'm actually enjoying the tennis lessons lmao I expected to actually slow it down by 1 episode more but since they're going in this kind of pace, then I have no choice but just to enjoy the show!

Well they've already shown how Eichiro trained with the coach, as the coach said it's basically just repeating that training and adding some physical training. I don't think there would be any point showing him doing that over and over again. The most they can give is a training montage like those Hollywood movies but it's still okay even without it.

It is said that experience is the best teacher though, so it also makes sense to have Eichiro be in more matches and learn more advanced techniques as he plays more and more matches.
May 19, 2014 1:37 AM

Apr 2014
It's weird watching this after having started the manga last week. I was like, "What? What's wrong with his control? Why is coach training him on--??" before the dark and irritable duh let itself be heard.

Can't say this enough: the OP gets more and more charming each week as one hears it. Definitely a grows-on-you sort, and I'm definitely grown-on.

Shuhan said:
Episode needed more Natsu
Always more Natsu.
May 19, 2014 1:50 AM
Nov 2008
Doublea said:
Really good. It's probably because I play tennis, but I'd like to see some more training or longer time skips of slowly improving to be more realistic. The 9 squares would still be difficult for me to do, maybe I should try it out sometimes.

This is going to be the biggest time skip, but a reason is also because Ei-chan is so new to tennis that almost everything is going to help him so matches too even when he lose.

So insted of watching him to giant step with more time skips you see him do "baby steps to giant strides"
May 19, 2014 5:04 PM

May 2008
Eiichirou slowly getting better i guess his improvement massive tho must be talented
May 20, 2014 3:57 PM

Oct 2013
Hope Ei-Chan won't get wrecked in the tournament. I feel like he'll make it to at least the finals or possibly win it. Well, we shall see
May 24, 2014 8:29 PM
Aug 2011
Ei-chan is slowly wrapping Takuma around his finger ahaha.
May 26, 2014 5:31 AM

Jun 2011
Good episode, really liked it. Even though the "Use Maruo to motivate Takuma" is cliched, it works. Can't wait to see Takuma go pro already, and Ei-chan slowly crawling to the top.

Episode need less Natsu unless she is necessary, not just for the "oh so kawaii, need more gurls."
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 26, 2014 6:51 AM

Nov 2010
It was a pleasant surprising to hear a tune from Mario Tennis when the coach started to play with the nine square practice

The match up of Eiichiro versus Takuma was interesting
I liked the notebook schedule scene afterwards, where Takuma's dreams was crushed by a stronger opponent, Eiichiro has a different approach to it and just wants to be better and not having to beat Takuma as his obsession
Oct 20, 2014 12:33 AM

Sep 2011
Dat development.
Jan 30, 2015 2:51 PM

Jun 2014
Takuma is getting more chill with Ei-chan. However am I the only one worried how they haven't got blisters yet? Or how they don't sound like an angry horses whenever they hit the ball?

Mar 5, 2015 12:19 PM

Oct 2014
Good episode, feels like the tension is stepping down.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2015 1:27 AM

Jan 2015
From a tennis standpoint, this series doesn't make much sense. It's like they mashed up random technical terms and trainings, but i guess that's the case for most sports anime.
Still pleasant to watch though.

One thing I disagree with is the complete lack of focus on footwork. For a tennis player, as for any racquet sport, mobility amounts to more than half the work. Here they just make it look obvious and basic.
Oct 19, 2015 11:55 PM
Apr 2015
FatefulLove said:
Eiichiro's control is already this good!?!
He did manage to get one point, a bit surprised that Takuma's true strength is with his delicate touch.
The nine square grid to a hundred square grid xD That control would be unimaginable.
Takuma's fake and movements, glad to see that Takuma isn't going easy. Takuma is a good person as he still plays with Eiichiro. It did turn a bit motivational for the both of them at the end.
Even Takuma has a person that can completely destroy him. Another tournament. Yea, this is going a bit too fast.

It's better described that given the power Takuma has, his delicate touch will surprise anyone who plays with him.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.