Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 17, 2014 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Eh, the action was okay I guess.

A lot of freezing ouch. As I kinda expected, Tatsuya shows no mercy with his skills here. Oh well, at least that didn't end in a tragedy. Oh and I noticed they showed brief scenes of Maya and she is already intimidating. Oh Erika, you and your teases. I'm hoping the next arc will be adapted faithfully tbh..and not omit anything important.
May 17, 2014 8:54 AM

Nov 2007
So their true goal was to recruit main guy. Change of memory, huh?! Wow, the two siblings are incredible. Not only he frightened the leader, he led Sugita-san's character to avenge instead.

New characters? Especially that guy that appeared in OP has shown after the ED (Matsuoka-san?).

The kendo girl's father knew someone who knows past main guy?

Beginning of new arc next ep.!
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 17, 2014 9:00 AM

Aug 2012
I think it was okay.

Tatsuya shows who is boss god right there. I didn't expect much, but I think Madhouse adapted the enrollment arc just fine. And wait.. Maya already? XD
Next ep is the start of nine schools competition. Prepare your altars to worship Tatsuya further.
May 17, 2014 9:01 AM
Mar 2014
the episode is good

so in the next episode they will change the OP(Same Song but different video)

next arc(9 School) will be next week!
aikido01May 17, 2014 9:09 AM
May 17, 2014 9:09 AM
Oct 2013
what a "bloody" episode LOL, especially the last part haha
May 17, 2014 9:33 AM
Oct 2012
Yep. a stage so everyone will go "Tatsuya, sugee sugee!"
"Hey, we just attacked your school, potentially have killed your friends, but why don't you join us!"
Very convenient magic everyone seems to have, almost as if the enemies planned to be sacrificial lambs.
Like how everyone likes to walk as well, if only the enemies had run away they would have never been caught.
Really horrible villain for a first arc, how did he become a branch leader of a foreign based terrorist organization.
And Tatsuya rescuing everyone that Miyuki healed so that she can maintain her "purity"

Thank god that arc is over, it was truly bad. They really should have shorten it to 4 maybe even 3.

Just out of curiosity, how did the "foreign based terrorist organization" know about Tatsuya to the point they wanted to recruit him, but his own government did not?

And here's hoping that was the last waving of the incest flag.
May 17, 2014 9:39 AM

May 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
Yep. a stage so everyone will go "Tatsuya, sugee sugee!"
"Hey, we just attacked your school, potentially have killed your friends, but why don't you join us!"
Very convenient magic everyone seems to have, almost as if the enemies planned to be sacrificial lambs.
Like how everyone likes to walk as well, if only the enemies had run away they would have never been caught.
Really horrible villain for a first arc, how did he become a branch leader of a foreign based terrorist organization.
And Tatsuya rescuing everyone that Miyuki healed so that she can maintain her "purity"

Thank god that arc is over, it was truly bad. They really should have shorten it to 4 maybe even 3.

Just out of curiosity, how did the "foreign based terrorist organization" know about Tatsuya to the point they wanted to recruit him, but his own government did not?

And here's hoping that was the last waving of the incest flag.

Because the Kendo captain witnessed his cast jamming technique.

For own government
May 17, 2014 9:43 AM
Apr 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
they dont know him they just want his cast jamming ability remember in episode 4 he explain why he havent made that ability official and also the guy that attack him was trying to test it out and that guy happens to be the terrorist organization brother so that is how that branch leader got the info and he is kept a secret by the government military
May 17, 2014 10:03 AM
Apr 2014
Takuan_Soho said:

Mind control magics were rare and useful for criminals. May be that's why he become the leader......... becoming a leader of antimagic terrorist because he has special magic? What an irony.

Playing cute and innocent..... That's our Miyuki ;)
May 17, 2014 10:09 AM
Oct 2012
Everyone's calling him Suzaku so much I feel like I'm gonna forget his real name sooner or later. haha
May 17, 2014 11:31 AM

Jul 2012
This episode was cool I guess.

Looking forward to the next arc.
May 17, 2014 11:39 AM

Apr 2014
Onii-sama, onii-sama, onii-sama...

God Miyuki is kind of annoying. Tatsuya also seems like one of the most bland characters I've ever seen.

I really hope this series does not continue the same path that they started because it's been getting progressively worse since episode 1 with only a few redeeming qualities in between.
May 17, 2014 11:40 AM
Jan 2014
This was a darker than usual episode.
Tatsuya and Miyuki can sure be brutal at times.
Not to mention Kirihara, that hand chop was over the top.
The OST fits in nicely every scene.
Can't wait for the NSC arc.
May 17, 2014 11:45 AM

Jul 2013
So glad they didn't censor any of the bloody scenes. Good episode for the most part. Still could have been better. Hopefully next arc will be more faithful to novel.

Only gripe I have with this episode is that they omitted the explanation of Tatsuya's magic, Decomposition. Being able to directly interfere with the structure of an object. One of two magics that only he can use.
May 17, 2014 11:57 AM

Oct 2013
And so marks the end of the Enrollment Arc. For what they had to work with, MadHouse made a tolerable adaptation, I think. The arc was drawn out way too long but I'm liking the anime-only scenes so far.

The Episode:

It was good. I'm pretty sure I'm just enjoying seeing things animated so I can't be sure of my objectivity on the quality of this episode. I can see some things were cut out but they weren't terribly important to the arc as a whole. I definitely liked the scene with Crimson Prince Masaki and George as it shows something I'd been wondering about: Did the other schools know about First High's bout with terrorism? I guess they did. Masaki's powers looks a more gory than it sounded. I didn't think there'd be so much blood though.

The glimpse of Chairman Katsuto's barrier magic was cool but I'm guessing it's final form looks much more complicated than that. I liked his and Kirihara's combat strategies with him using his barrier while Kirihara did the slicing.

Miyuki's Niflheim looked as cool as it sounded but man, that's a scary-ass power, to be able to freeze people like that. Her discomfort with what she'd done was clearly seen when she realized that Onii-sama Tatsuya had thawed out the terrorists. But Miyuki, if you're going to be like that after you use that power, why don't you think a little before you use it? I'm sure you have less potent powers that won't make you feel as bad.

Tatsuya's powers were made a little bit clearer and the episode makes it quite clear that he doesn't HAVE to be in high school. Hopefully, people will get that there's a deeper reason for such a powerful character to be in school. Some parts of his talk with Mibu's father was cut out and for that I'm grateful because when I first read it, I didn't understand why he would even ask Tatsuya to do that in the first place. Luckily, the most important part of that conversation was hit on, Tatsuya's connection with a Major Kazama.

I LOVED Maya's appearance in this episode. And that voice! Gosh. My main man Hayama also showed up. Not bad :)

I liked seeing Tatsuya interact (quite trollfully) with Mibu and Kirihara and Erika. He might not be terrible emotive but he does have a sense of humor.

Next Episode:

We're on to the 9 Schools Competition arc. What's an anime set in school without a tournament arc? I hope this arc is better received than the Enrollment arc because I personally felt like it was way better.
May 17, 2014 11:59 AM

Apr 2014
Not sure what to say anymore. Just glad this arc is over and here's hoping madhouse won't butcher the rest of the show.
May 17, 2014 12:08 PM

Jun 2013
Awesome arc.I hope the next one is even better.
May 17, 2014 12:08 PM
Oct 2013
@Millie
May 17, 2014 12:11 PM

Apr 2014
The action was not as epic as the last one. But the information was given greatly to us. And we get to see the new character from the opening Tatsuya is going to face off taht could be his equal in the end. Misaki.And we finally get to start a new arc which is called The Nine School Competition. Pretty excited. Mibu and Kirihara are cute together.
May 17, 2014 12:14 PM

Dec 2009
Hmm, I guess its better to see things visually rather than having them explained to you.

Anyways ok episodes but the BGM choices are still a lot less earwormy and a bit too light a bit. XD

And wow Kirihara gets with Kendo girl huh.

*spitake* ROTFL MASAKI'S VA IS KIRITO'S That did not match my perception of him. @_@

Madhouse just used him for both NGNL and Mahouka xP

Edit: Just realized it was LiSA who sang the Opening. That's good.
May 17, 2014 12:16 PM

Aug 2010
Good ep. Loved the action scenes quite a lot. Some explanations could've made it better but as an LN reader who knows this stuff I really enjoyed :D

Miyuki's Niflheim was really awesome! Dat freezing animation :L Don't make Miyuki angry. Just understand that already XD

Katsuto+Kirihara combo was awesome. Really nice animation with Kirihara's moves :D And DAT CUT!! Brutal! I didn't expect they'd show this much blood :O Happy for that ^^ How Tatsuya didn't even stop him from cutting Tsukasa's arm was nice hehe.

Tatsuya ass kicking was BA!! He made Tsukasa shit his pants. Too bad no explanation about his Decomposition but oh well, it'll be explained more later. Also too bad they didn't show Katsuto's reaction to Tatsuya's ability.

Loved the Maya scene!! Her voice is nice and she looks HOT :3 So that's how Hayama looks like? He looks pretty young for what I imagined XD

Erika was so cute pouting about Tatsuya's lack of reaction, and her teasing was so lol XD She was really direct there with KiriharaxSaya and asking her why she dumped Tatsuya lol. Kirihara blushing and flustered was nice to see hehe. Tatsuya trolling about how Kirihara's manliness against Tsukasa impressed him XD
That's to make anyone worrying about harems shut up for a while :P

Masaki at the end was pretty damn hyping! I didn't expect all that blood O_O He has no idea how much Tatsuya will own him though :P Yoshitsugu did a good job for him :D
May 17, 2014 12:19 PM
Apr 2014
The fight was so meh; that I got bored; Fight scene are really boring if it involves Tatsuya and Miyuki.

Maya is so nice; Love her eyes.

Erika and Tatsuya trolling Kirihara was so ...... Fun

Tatsuya and Miyuki end was I'd say people who enjoy that kind of fetish!

Lets not forget that ending.......
Masaki you just turned the whole training room as a bloody crime scene; who do you think will clean those up? and fuck animal abuse is just plain wrong!
May 17, 2014 12:28 PM
Jan 2013
Red guy has just appeared
May 17, 2014 12:29 PM

Apr 2013
It was an ok episode. I think that it was definitely paced better than the previous ones with a good balance between the action and explanations that didn't go overboard. Tatsuya is still a bit too much of a fighting god but whatever. I'm also just glad that this arc is finally over (it's supposed to be the worst one) and I'm hoping that the next one will be much more interesting and fulfilling. I already like Masaki as a antagonist/rival better than anyone else so far from just the 1-2 minutes he was on screen. Madhouse, work your magic.

And one last "Onii-sama!!" for the road.
dankzelMay 17, 2014 2:06 PM
May 17, 2014 12:40 PM

Nov 2013
ahhh the guy that I hate the most (Masaki) makes his debut....

it was an alright episode not great but not bad either.

really didn't like the way they animated his decomposition magic though and how they left out katsuto's reaction to tatsuya as well as the explanation for both Tatsuya's decomposition magic as well as elemental sight. Hope the way they animate decomp gets better during the nine school competition and especially during the Yokohama arc.
To hunger, but not gluttonous. To arouse, but not lustful. To tire, but not slothful.
May 17, 2014 12:46 PM

May 2014
Now I know what to expect for the gory scenes of later arcs :)

Too bad they left out the part about the possibility of Tatsuya taking on the Yotsuba when they were going back to school.

Miyuki is so cute but scary if pissed off.

Can't wait for the fun in the 9S arc.
May 17, 2014 12:47 PM

Oct 2007
That was probably the strongest episode yet though maybe I'm just glad this show seems to finally be past its introductory phase. I hope what some LN readers are saying is true and that this was the weakest part of the series that mainly serves to set the stage for better things to come because I still feel like I should be enjoying this show a lot more than I am.
May 17, 2014 12:49 PM

Apr 2014
Was it hinted that Tatsuya and Miyuki might not be blood siblings this episode? That lady made it seem like Tatsuya is not actually part of the family.
May 17, 2014 12:53 PM

Dec 2011
Can finally see the Nine Schools arc soon enough. Can't wait.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2014 12:56 PM

May 2014
appido said:
Was it hinted that Tatsuya and Miyuki might not be blood siblings this episode? That lady made it seem like Tatsuya is not actually part of the family.

for siblings and being part of the family
May 17, 2014 12:59 PM

Jan 2012
They so looked like lovers...
May 17, 2014 1:01 PM

Oct 2013
ChiyouDrinkmilk said:
No explanation for critical parts of the plot and a high school kid is justified for cutting off someone's arm.

I'm sure people have said this before but I'll reiterate: Don't be judging things in this anime by real life standards. Yes, it's a high school. But it's a magic high school in a post WW3 where Japan is in the midst of a magician cold war. Kirihara might have gone too far but their taking down of terrorists was justified because they had Katsuto and Mayumi, members of two of the Master Clans, approve their actions. That's how influential the master clans are.
May 17, 2014 1:07 PM

Jul 2010
Really good episode.

Nice action.
That guy lost his arm because of Kirihara.
Wow, that was bloody.

Eri teasing Mibu and Kirihara^^

Masaki.... he reminds me so much of Suzaku >.<

New arc starts next episode.

Onii-sama count:

Ep 1: 26
Ep 2: 5
Ep 3: 6
Ep 4: 17
Ep 5: 3 (lol)

Ep 6: 12
Ep 7: 14
Hyuga Junpei: “Yeah… I’m confident… Because my teammates will help me out! I can shoot confidently.. because it will be okay even if I miss!”

Kagami Taiga: “I don’t know about being the bad guy or whatever. It’s only in stories where titles like that decide the loser. This is our show. We’re the ones who are writing the script.”
May 17, 2014 1:07 PM

Aug 2012
Two well-paced episodes in a row without a cut in the middle of action? Looking good so far, I hope they keep it up. Nothing in this show irritates me more than that bullshit.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
May 17, 2014 1:11 PM
Nov 2013
Good ending to an arc I thought was starting to drag a little. Now onto more exciting things!
May 17, 2014 1:13 PM

Jul 2013
Have you worshipped your god today ?
May 17, 2014 1:16 PM

May 2010
millie10468 said:
ChiyouDrinkmilk said:
No explanation for critical parts of the plot and a high school kid is justified for cutting off someone's arm.

I'm sure people have said this before but I'll reiterate: Don't be judging things in this anime by real life standards. Yes, it's a high school. But it's a magic high school in a post WW3 where Japan is in the midst of a magician cold war. Kirihara might have gone too far but their taking down of terrorists was justified because they had Katsuto and Mayumi, members of two of the Master Clans, approve their actions. That's how influential the master clans are.

We talked about this on RandomC. It's not even about suspension of disbelief; it's the fact that a bunch of high schoolers who are considered important assets to national security are taking matters into their own hands when they're not authorized to do so. If anything, terrorist hunts are carried out by the federal government, not by a bunch of high schoolers. If disingenuous to keep saying "don't compare it to real life" when their world is pretty much a branch of ours, just now with magic added. The finer details we can argue about, but it's not like kids are all of a sudden given the license to kill. That is something the government will forever hold. Same with the matter of national security. I'm surprised the Japanese government in the Mahoukaverse lasted this long considering how hands-off they are.
wrenchbreadMay 17, 2014 1:32 PM
May 17, 2014 1:22 PM

Oct 2013
wrenchbread said:
millie10468 said:
ChiyouDrinkmilk said:

We talked about this on RandomC. It's not even about suspension of disbelief; it's the fact that a bunch of high schoolers who are considered important assets to national security are taking matters into their own hands when they're not authorized to do so. If anything, terrorist hunts are carried out by the federal government, not by a bunch of high schoolers. If disingenuous to keep saying "don't compare it to real life" when they're world is pretty much a branch of ours, just now with magic added. The finer details we can argue about, but it's not like kids are all of a sudden given the license to kill. That is something the government will forever hold. Same with the matter of national security. I'm surprised the Japanese government in the Mahoukaverse lasted this long considering how hands-off they are.

But you're forgetting the influence of the 10 Master Clans. This is to show how heavy their influence is because under normal (even in Mahoukaverse), circumstances, they would have definitely gotten into trouble. Just look at the 10MC as a get-out-of-jail free card in these situations that involve members and especially heirs of the clans.

May 2013
Good episode. Kirihara slicing off that guy's arm was epic. Masaki being introduced at the end there. A new arc is gonna begin.

May 2014
wrenchbread said:
millie10468 said:
ChiyouDrinkmilk said:

We talked about this on RandomC. It's not even about suspension of disbelief; it's the fact that a bunch of high schoolers who are considered important assets to national security are taking matters into their own hands when they're not authorized to do so. If anything, terrorist hunts are carried out by the federal government, not by a bunch of high schoolers. If disingenuous to keep saying "don't compare it to real life" when they're world is pretty much a branch of ours, just now with magic added. The finer details we can argue about, but it's not like kids are all of a sudden given the license to kill. That is something the government will forever hold. Same with the matter of national security. I'm surprised the Japanese government in the Mahoukaverse lasted this long considering how hands-off they are.

2 direct descendants of the 10 masters clans (Mayumi and Katsuto) OK'd it,the police can't do anything about it.

edit: ninja'd :)
May 17, 2014 1:23 PM

Apr 2014
the crimson prince is DEFINITELY SUZAKU
Red is the color of a hero
May 17, 2014 1:32 PM
Apr 2014
Not a bad episode. I forgot yet again how he activated his magic under Cast Jammeing (even after reading the LN), but I'm just bad with remembering that kind of stuff :p I should reread it again. Glad that the introduction part is over ^^ Hope they don't screw up the 9 School arc (as much).
Against all my expectations, I don't think I'm gonna drop this.
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.
May 17, 2014 1:33 PM

Aug 2009
FINALLY.

I've been watching this anime only because I've wanted to see the guy from the end of the opening.
I do hope this arc will be better tho

Apr 2013
Good thing the animation was top-tier.. because that arc was terrible. Hopefully what the LN readers said is true and the following material is actually good.
Jun 2010
I found the way they animated Tatsuya scene where he cause the enemies legs to bleed poorly done. I personally thought they would freeze the scene the moment Tatsuya use his magic, rotate the camera to view the enemies and zoom into one of enemies' leg muscle and watch some muscle suddenly vanish, then zooming back out with all the enemies body parts bleeding as if they got shot all of a sudden. This will actually hint the type of magic Tatsuya is using without explaining it. The magic Tatsuya use wasn't an invisible bullet that shot straight through their body.

Other than that, I found this episode ok, since there weren't much dialog in the episode. The extra scene before the preview were not from the LN and were added to add some expectations for the next arc.
Jul 2018
Tsukasa's evil eyes did not affect Tatsuya. He and his army got owned by Tatsuya and others.

Anyway, I liked how Mibu said that she was in love with Tatsuya.
May 17, 2014 1:34 PM
Jun 2010
Swordnoob said:
Not a bad episode. I forgot yet again how he activated his magic under Cast Jammeing (even after reading the LN), but I'm just bad with remembering that kind of stuff :p I should reread it again.

The antinite does not cancel out magic, it just causes a lot of interference that makes casting magic extremely difficult. The best way for me to explain is how noise can disrupt wifi signal to the point that wifi cannot establish a connections or tons of packet loss. However, if the wifi signal is strong enough or there are algorithms to accurately retrieve the data regardless of interference, you can still establish a connections. So the magic are basically the medium or antenna use to cast the spells, and the antinite are noise.
May 17, 2014 1:37 PM

May 2010
millie10468 said:

But you're forgetting the influence of the 10 Master Clans. This is to show how heavy their influence is because under normal (even in Mahoukaverse), circumstances, they would have definitely gotten into trouble. Just look at the 10MC as a get-out-of-jail free card in these situations that involve members and especially heirs of the clans.

This would imply that they have a hand in their equivalent of the Department of Homeland Security. If not, how incompetent must the government be if they have to allow a third party to do the heavy lifting? In our world, even if the government is in the pockets of big corporations and lobbies, it's not like we're allowing PMCs to fight our wars for us. We still send in the national army. Or in the Mahoukaverse, they should be sending in their mage equivalent of spec ops, not high schoolers.
May 17, 2014 1:37 PM

Oct 2013
LazyLuong said:
I found the way they animated Tatsuya scene where he cause the enemies legs to bleed poorly done. I personally thought they would freeze the scene the moment Tatsuya use his magic, rotate the camera to view the enemies and zoom into one of enemies' leg muscle and watch some muscle suddenly vanish, then zooming back out with all the enemies body parts bleeding as if they got shot all of a sudden. This will actually hint the type of magic Tatsuya is using without explaining it. The magic Tatsuya use wasn't an invisible bullet that shot straight through their body.

This would have been extra cool! I wonder if the animators don't see how his powers work or if they plan to go into more details later...
May 17, 2014 1:38 PM
Jun 2010
Tohka_Yatogami said:
Tsukasa's evil eyes did not affect Tatsuya. He and his army got owned by Tatsuya and others.

Anyway, I liked how Mibu said that she was in love with Tatsuya.

Yea, there was a way for the animator to display that scene when the blanche leader cast that spell, but they chose not too, the same way discarded the scene where blanche leader order Tatsuya to kill his sister. What Tatsuya magic did, was to erase the critical portion of the activation spell that causes mind control, thus turning the spell into a harmless light show.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.