Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Aug 10, 2014 3:30 AM
May 2011
I don't really understand all the love for this series

One of my problems with the series is that they chose to use cgi in a series that is known for awesome hand drawn animation. I mean whats with that? I mean gundam 00 was gorgeous and it didn't take them 4 years to release 13 episodes (about how much it all adds up to)

Characters have like 0 development, especially Banagher. You could take episode 7 him and put him in episode 1 and he'd be the same exact person. And Riddhe's evil turn was random as hell and even with the explanation after he suddenly decided he made a mistake is still retarded.

There didn't seem to be any strategies to their fights, and Banagher mastered the gundam after fighting with it like one time. Fights came down to either a few beams and their magic shields that block everything or someone with funnelsbits that cut everyone apart like butter.

Idk the fights just seemed kind of disappointing. You'd think for something with information so devastating they'd send out everything they have to wipe them of existence. Yet most of the battles were pitiful and over in a few minutes, they didn't really seem to put much effort into it until the last minute with their super-mega-ultra colony laser.
Aug 11, 2014 6:20 PM

Jan 2009
It was an OK episode and an OK ending. Four long years for this!? I don't see much effort, aside from animation and soundtrack which are amazing. The story isn't bad, but I find it confusing and boring in the most of moments. Most of characters are bad, starting with the main character and almost all of support characters.

Gundam Unicorn is pretty much like Crysis: stunning visuals, but lacks content. Isn't a bad anime, but isn't the best Gundam out here. For me, Gundam 00 did a better job in 1 year than Gundam UC did in four.
Aug 11, 2014 6:27 PM

Aug 2014
Guys, please keep your inferior opinions to yourself. Gundam Unicorn is best unicorn.
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 13, 2014 7:07 AM

Sep 2013
PencilSharpener said:
Guys, please keep your inferior opinions to yourself. Gundam Unicorn is best the only unicorn.
Aug 15, 2014 10:38 AM

Jan 2009
If you don't accept different opinions, you shouldn't be in the internet in the first place.
Aug 15, 2014 11:31 AM

Aug 2014
Mizorefan said:
If you don't accept different opinions, you shouldn't be in the internet in the first place.

You never need to accept other opinions, just acknowledge that people form them, however unsubstantial and sophistic. If you don't think your opinion is superior to others, you don't have an opinion.

My opinion was on unicorns.
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 25, 2014 3:47 PM

Oct 2009
Barion-Zara said:
F*** WHY DID MARIDA HAVE TO DIE!!!! T O T DAMN RHIDDE!! Did u have to do that T_T Such a sad death :( Best character for me. Loved her so much.

And dumb too. Just to allow herself to be killed like that... Couldn't you deal with Riddhe some other way, which doesn't include your death?
Aug 30, 2014 6:03 AM

May 2010
Wow! Just finished watching the thora release and this was sooo worth the wait,absolutely fantastic final episode.

The animation quality is absolutely insane and the soundtrack fits perfectly to the action.
Sep 2, 2014 4:07 PM

Jan 2014
Finally got to watching the last episode of UC, only to be sorely dissapointed.

The animation was top notch as usual, but the episode was too drawn out, had the common useless swapping of sides, and in the end it all boiled down to yet another newtype sparkle fest.

It did not have the epicness of episode 1's opening, the deliberate slow phylosophical pace of episode 6, nor the grittiness of the assault on the Torrington base.

I liked how this show left room for good non protagonist pilots, even uknown aces. I liked how we got to see Ridhe slip from being the nice caring senior to Banagher and Audrey, to a resentfull jealous madman. I liked how we got to see the development of Marida's and Zimmerman's relation. Finally, I also like how we got to see Audrey as a strong female character, taking the lead alongside Banagher, story wise, but also role wise. Episode 7 just threw it all in the trash.

Ridhe got back to his former self, right after killing Marida: totally unecessary and illogical. Zimmerman barely got any screentime at all, but when he did was quick to accept Otto's invite for a drink, barely minutes after seeing his adoptive daughter been blown away by the crew's new returning hero. Meanwhile the Zeon princess returned to the classic role of fragile damsel waiting for her bloke.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed UC immensely, buy for me episode 7 took away what could have made this series stand out from other (recent) Gundams.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Sep 6, 2014 11:54 AM

May 2012
cupc said:
PencilSharpener said:
Guys, please keep your inferior opinions to yourself. Gundam Unicorn is best the only unicorn.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Sep 11, 2014 4:37 AM

Jun 2013
Laionidas said:

The animation was top notch as usual, but the episode was too drawn out, had the common useless swapping of sides, and in the end it all boiled down to yet another newtype sparkle fest.

It did not have the epicness of episode 1's opening, the deliberate slow phylosophical pace of episode 6, nor the grittiness of the assault on the Torrington base.

I liked how this show left room for good non protagonist pilots, even uknown aces. I liked how we got to see Ridhe slip from being the nice caring senior to Banagher and Audrey, to a resentfull jealous madman. I liked how we got to see the development of Marida's and Zimmerman's relation. Finally, I also like how we got to see Audrey as a strong female character, taking the lead alongside Banagher, story wise, but also role wise. Episode 7 just threw it all in the trash.

Ridhe got back to his former self, right after killing Marida: totally unecessary and illogical. Zimmerman barely got any screentime at all, but when he did was quick to accept Otto's invite for a drink, barely minutes after seeing his adoptive daughter been blown away by the crew's new returning hero. Meanwhile the Zeon princess returned to the classic role of fragile damsel waiting for her bloke.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed UC immensely, buy for me episode 7 took away what could have made this series stand out from other (recent) Gundams.

lol
Oct 3, 2014 7:00 PM

Apr 2008
All that fuss. A messy fuss!

WHELP! What the hell do we need the box for?! Humanity will wage war anyways.
This all happened due to the Feddie's fears, and each side coveted something. For 30 IRL years, we knew Zeon fought for that independence and Feddie's want to keep order by any means. Even through civil dispute. It's a legendary war.

So what?! Killing me with this key to the box confusion because of an article. A CONSTITUTION (it is an interesting item though)! Hiding/erasing a part of history is a big deal, but Vyst and one of the ship dudes (Zimmerman?) said it better:

"The choice is theirs to make"

"Humans interpret laws differently to suit the best interests" (or something along those lines)

Also, there's Frontal: "The will of the collective".

That's for all sides of fighting. And the little kid who always pilots the gundam always fights for peace and punches the antagonist with words and fists. Even series outside of UNICORN GUNDAM, kids often fought for a clearer future where the hostilities stop. Even without that article, Zeon were zealous about staying in space and Spacenoids, having control, spacenodis being above all. There was always a war about that. How collateral would the reveal of the box be anyways?

But aside from that...

my brain is reeling. This series, especially this ep, had to be the most emotionally animated thing I have ever seen so far (in a long time?). The animation is put to its peak that it can make you vomit from palpitations. From combat to just...human faces. It's amazing. Poor Alberto. And I love REZEL!

Not sure how to rate it yet. I am so sick (LOL).

And I need to send a silent prayer to Marida. Maybe she saved everyone. Riddhle made me mad.

Amuro and Lalah...just...Amuro and Lalah. Seeing their VO's names in the credits. And you also saw snips of 0079! Crazy!
Oct 14, 2014 5:09 PM

Oct 2012
Laionidas said:

This.
Oct 20, 2014 1:19 PM

Apr 2008
How is she a damsel? o-O

I think she is very strong-willed. However, like everyone else, because Banagher has the gundam, they all want him to survive. They have a lot of faith in the gundam.
Nov 1, 2014 12:50 PM

May 2013
The series was alright, nothing spectacular aside from the production values. Newtype magic almost made the series completely unbearable to watch at times.
Main characters were fairly ok although Banaghers was insufferable. I was very underwhelmed by the reveal of Laplace's box and the outcome of the fight between Unicorn and the Zeong.
The_HawkNov 1, 2014 12:55 PM
Nov 3, 2014 3:54 PM

Nov 2012
I actually really liked the reveal of Laplace's Box. It was something so simple yet had drastic implications on shaping the course of society. I guess as a political junky, I was particularly attracted to it, especially because unlike the rest of this finale, it was a plot twist much more grounded in reality and didn't rely on over-the-top space magic to impress. I would have been much more happy with the ending if they stripped out the Newtype silliness and just had Full Frontal and Banagher air out their philosophical differences while duking it out in the Red Comet and RX-0 Unicorn until one steps out the victor. It didn't need to be any more profound than that because as far as I was concerned the big reveal of Laplace's box had already been accomplished; now all that was left was for Banagher and Full Frontal to settle their differences.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Dec 17, 2014 1:49 PM

Jul 2010
Very disappointed with this last episode, I had high expectations because a lot of people gave this 10/10 but I just don't get it. I've always hated the newtype stuff in Gundam but the newtype in this was just awful. 8/10.
Dec 27, 2014 3:47 AM

Jun 2013
10th_man_down said:
Very disappointed with this last episode, I had high expectations because a lot of people gave this 10/10 but I just don't get it. I've always hated the newtype stuff in Gundam but the newtype in this was just awful. 8/10.

People sometimes make the mistake that Universal Century Gundam has no supernatural shit in it. If you hate the newtype stuff, why do you watch it? That's one of the central plot points.
Jan 25, 2015 5:41 AM

Sep 2011
Well, that took me forever to finish. I had barely any prior experience on the older gundams which was probably sorta needed to watch this, but I managed to get by with pretty much knowing everything. Only had to look for a little bit of info by Googling.

As for the series, it was a solid 9 from me. It had a few things that made me want to choke myself (I.E the main character for the first or few episodes), but he managed to grow on me. Was a really good series with amazing OST and action. Hoping for more like this.
Jan 31, 2015 3:12 AM

Nov 2009
Well that was quite the journey I must say, Was not keen on the final scene though it felt as though it was a very abrupt ending and then bam theres the credits, I feel like they should have extended the scene or do an after credits bit but they didnt sadly, Doesnt detract from how amazing this episode was or the series as a whole, I thoroughly enjoyed it so it gets a 9/10 from me.
Feb 2, 2015 8:25 AM

Jul 2012
That was a wonderful piece to watch and finally have 1 through 7 (yay extension :D ) of the OVA's all connected together and the past UC stories. After the decision to extend the series from 6 to 7 OVA episodes I'm not quite sure what the old final product would have been with even this being an extra 30 min. I hope the team who worked on Gundam UC is enjoying the extension as much as every here and beyond has. Mmm, that was one hell of a good ride. Too many parts hit hard throughout this last ep.

I think I need a rewatch of the entire OVA... In a shorter time frame than the near 4 1/2 year project... And that was a good idea this past weekend!

9/10 for me over all but a 11/10 with all of the feels as I sit back typing little bits here.
Mar 1, 2015 8:39 PM

Aug 2010
The OVA's were very good just wish we would see more characters from the original Gundam. I guess hearing Lalah, Char and Amuro at the end was good enough. Pretty much confirms that Char and Amuro did indeed die.

Marida's death was definitely the saddest part in the OVA's. Didn't expect Riddhe to be so important. I definitely don't hate him anymore. No idea why he's listed as supporting when he's pretty much the deuteragonist of the story.

Overall I give it an 8/10. Don't find it to be the best of the Gundam franchise though. And I really disliked the romance between Banagher and Mineva even though there wasn't really much.
Ragna92Mar 1, 2015 8:45 PM
Mar 22, 2015 7:54 AM

Sep 2008
Loved it!!! I almost teared up near the end and felt so many emotions while watching.. 10/10 for me!
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Apr 23, 2015 12:18 AM

Nov 2013
I don't think I have anything that hasn't been said already. The gundam franchise is something I regret not picking up sooner, and this OVA is definitely one of the reason why. There was not a single dull moment in this series, I felt an emotional connection with a lot of the characters, and the animation and music was just...so... ughhh-my god!

But honestly, Unicorn has been kind of a saving grace after some pretty recent lack luster entree's into the mecha genre. A lot of the same stories with lazy characterization seem to be the norm that are coming out(at least in 2014). I honestly have very little problems with Unicorn, it practically hit everything out of the park and I also thought the ending was nothing short of incredible. The Journey I had through UC is something I'm not gonna soon forget.

10/10
Jun 14, 2015 12:29 AM

Mar 2012
MiniSiets said:
I actually really liked the reveal of Laplace's Box. It was something so simple yet had drastic implications on shaping the course of society.

This so many times over. Nothing has ever made me jump up off my bed and stare intently at my TV so much. Honestly it seems stupid but yet I just liked how they sat there and explained how the Box was really something so small yet had so much power behind it.

Only issue I had was Riddhe, in short, he could spin it any way he wanted to but the entire reason for Marida's death was because Riddhe was just pissed off Mineva went with Banagher....just for me was immensely unconvincing, as was the part where Banagher/Zimmerman could have easily captured and/or destroyed the Banshee when Marida was saved, yet poor writing dictated that the Banshee would best serve as a plot device in another episode....also very unconvincing to me, which just points out further that Marida's death was one of the most pointless deaths I've seen in the UC timeline..alongside the great Quess kill in CCA.

Alongside that, because not one face had been exposed to the great Bright Noa slap, I think this show deserves a solid 9/10 as it was definitely a fitting end to the UC timeline...if only.... I almost don't want to watch F91/Victory now...

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jul 4, 2015 3:19 AM

Sep 2009
A decent ending to a mediocre anime. I can't say I particularly enjoyed the series. It had nice visuals, animation and character designs, but that's about it. This last episode was longer than expected too.

If anything, like someone mentioned before, this series showed me what a great pilot Amuro was, too bad it's just a picture that was shown of him here and no mention of Amuro was made in this series except that "there was an ace pilot during the One Year War" but it seems like everyone remembers Char.

Banagher was annoying as hell. His two friends, especially Micott played no role in the story, they could have done the same without them.
AmphetamineJul 4, 2015 3:26 AM
Jul 5, 2015 2:28 AM
Feb 2008
Don't see how anyone can give this a 10/10.
Jul 21, 2015 11:46 PM

Aug 2013
seeing lala char and amuro's souls was incredibly touching
huh
Jul 28, 2015 7:24 AM

Nov 2013
Well that was quite the journey. I wouldn't say it's bad but I really couldn't help but compare the ending to Ultraman Dyna's ending, and to be honest, it has less deus- ex than this OVA.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jul 29, 2015 12:10 AM

Apr 2009
The Laplace Box was just a single and last provision in the Charter of the Universal Century, and it was a different thing for everybody else, a curse to the Federation for the embarrassing secret it holds while it was a means for the Vist Foundation to blackmail the Federation in keeping it a secret, and quite possibly a blessing or a weapon for the Neo Zeon, ultimately and simply for what it proposes. Still at least, everybody knows now and what was intended as a goodwill for the future almost a century ago. Unless they forget again, antagonize Spacenoids (again), demonize Newtypes, and then there will be war again, one way or another...and we'll get a new Gundam series in the Universal Century!

After all this time, I just realize my favorite character, Bright Noa doesn't seem to age much. XD

Finally finished with this, took me awhile because of real life interfering with my anime. LOL 7/10 for this episode and entire series as well.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 30, 2015 12:07 PM

Dec 2013
Simply perfect series and this last episode is the embodiment of perfection. Taking all the vast material from previous UC series, concluding and elevating the whole Gundam franchise to incredible heights.

Undoubtably 10/10, there would be lack of praising adjectives to describe the series.
Aug 21, 2015 9:11 PM

Jul 2009
What an amazing finale!!!

So many things to write, let's get started :)

The animation is music definitely is the best out of all the episodes. Tension, Drama, Sadness, Fear as well amazing battle themes and sound effects.

Man I knew Marida would die here. She's a Puru clone so she was destined to die. Her being killed by Riddhe kinda reminds me what happened to Plu being killed in ZZ Gundam. I don't like Riddhe, but at least he became tolerable in the end.

So the Laplace box is a monument that helps future new species in case they might emerge out of nowhere. Which Newtypes were born.

I think i didn't like about this is for such an important monument. How the hell didn't this important part of the universe were reference in Gundam 079 All the way to Char's Counterattack? Almost 100 years, yet it was only being talked about towards the end of the era.

I understand Unicorn is new compared to the other shows. But man i wish they should have reference this right from the start. It kinda reminds me of Metal Gear Solid series where they made nanomachines complicated as is.

WTF Psycho Frame became an integral part out of nowhere. I know Char's Counterattack introduced it, but i feel it would have benefit if this was also introduce in the first Gundam 079. It would explain the green light better as well as Lalah's Soul traveling whenever she wants.

Full Frontal is just angry that what Char and Amuro did in the Axis Shock incident were all for nothing. Humans stayed the way they are. War keep waging, people being killed etc Nothing has changed.

Then again, i do agree to Vist that this timeline doesn't belong to them anymore. It's for the youth that will decide for the future. Only the adults will guide them the right way, but have no say what to do in the future.

When they traveled back in time, it's nice to see them reanimate some of the 079 scenes in HD form :)

I love how Lalah, Char and Amuro's Soul appeared and talked to Full Frontal. Man what an amazing scene!! Even though i was disappointed there was no epic final battle like what happened to Char vs Amuro in CCA. This makes up for it :)

And when Banagher and Riddhe formed that green psycho frame shield. It reminded me of the Axis Shock in CCA!!!!

And with all the green light. It really does remind me of Gundam 00. I think after watching Gundam Unicorn. I begin to appreciate Trailblazers Movie even though i didn't like the way they end the timeline. Even Unicorn Gundam's armor turned into diamonds similar to Trailblazers!!

Though it would be awesome if there were a communication device that will broadcast all over the world at the same time. With how far people have been separating(in the UC era, but Earth might follow in the future), It's nice that it connects people from all over the world.

Of course not everyone will agree with the message and all.

I think the ending would have been more impactful if Banagher died. Yeah i know so many people died already, but every MC always meets some sort of cruel fate except for Judau(Kamille was mind fucked though).

Still what an amazing closure to the UC era. After starting watching Gundam 079 back in Summer 2014 and finishing it in Summer 2015. It's all worth the time spent ^^

And that closes the Gundam UC Era animation. I haven't watched F91, Victory. But we really need a Crossbone Adaptation! It's been long overdue now!! Don't mind if it's Unicorn OVA style, as long as it's serious and has amazing animation and battle scenes as well as music.

Farewell Char's Soul!!! I did read that his soul lives on in the Psycho Frame of Sazabi and some Neo Zeon were managed to fixed it and put his soul on a clone body. Though i don't know what kind of body it is, but if Plu can have multiple clones i say why not.

Banagher is good MC, but didn't like how he was really weak compared to the other MC. Not just piloting skills, but also the will to get through a situation. It took him so many tries and fail realizations to get it right. At least he didn't hold all of this for 7 years(looks at Amuro)

Will wait for Gundam The Origin to be finished releasing all the BD's till i watch it. So maybe 5 years from now?

I may take a break for Gundam works till the end of the year. Might watch the new Mobile Suit Gundam IRON-BLOODED ORPHANS, but we'll see.

I give this a 9/10. It's just missing a final confrontation between Banagher and Full Frontal. Other than that amazing stuff!!!

My favorite Gundam still remains: Wing>Zeta>00>Unicorn>CCA>ZZ>079

My favorite pilots: Heero Yuy>Kamille Bidan>Tiere Erde>Judau Ashta>Shinn Asuka>Setsuna F Seiei>Amuro

Aug 21, 2015 9:35 PM

Jul 2009
Here's some scans of the series :)

Dec 18, 2015 4:16 PM

Nov 2012
Intended to give this a 7/10 but the last 30 mins/the conclusion of this episode were just masterful that I think I'll bump this to an 8/10,really felt like an end to the Universal Century (even though it not) full of endless possibility for the future.

Man,watching F91 after this is going to suck major balls since it'll make it seem like Banagher and Mineva's efforts went to waste after only 27 years.

Going based on the UC Gundam I've seen I would rank them like this:
0079>Zeta>Unicorn(first 6 episode would rank below Zeta,last episode above Zeta)>ZZ>CC
Feb 8, 2016 8:33 AM

Sep 2010
4kicks said:
Exblaster said:
It was never implied that all clones died. Heck, in one of the Gundam Evolve episodes there was Judau rescued someone that resembles Ple Two.

I see. I still dislike how Marida went out, and the fact that the person taking her out

I hate all this "friends becoming enemies, then friends again" crap.

I wish the show got rid of Riddhe when they had the chance.

This kind of thinking is exactly what keeps us from growing as humans. As long as all we are after is revange the cycle will never be broken. At some point, somebody needs to be the better and wiser person and say STOP NO MORE THIS IS WHERE THE BLOODSHED ENDS. Riddhe made some very bad choices, and did bad things, as do allmost all people in war and conflict. But what is the point in killing somebody who feels genuine remorse and tries his hardest to make amends by helping in any way he can? Riddhe KNEW he was wrong, he even wanted to die at some point asking to be shot down. When he calmed down, regained his senses, he ended up helping everyone, which was a lot more usefull to everyone then a dead Riddhe at that point. Nothing would have been gained by killing him at that point except maybe more sadness, more thirst for revange by those who loved Riddhe. If revenge is all people focus on, the fighting wil never ever end. This Gundam story is one of my favorites exactly because thats the message. The only way to change/save human kind, is to break that cycle of hatred and killing. Which at least some people thankfull seem capable of doing. Humans need to evolve and let go fo their hatred. By keeping Riddhe alive and letting him help by risking his own life, they showed us the power of redemption. Also the whole enemies who become friends is powerfull and maybe the strongest part of whole Unicorn. because at the end of the day, we are all just humans, and humans are capable of more then being stuck in blind hatred or discriminations. The neo zeon and federation people who ended up becomming a team show us that humans are also capable of good things, and aren't always just mindless killers. They showed a strenght and wisdom we should be inspired by. Something we should strive for ourselves, not redicule or mock. It's not unrealistic. it's possible, it happens. Enemies who become friends or even lovers because they realise we are all humans together. people need to stop dissing on these kind of endings and these kind of people where revenge is forgotten, and enemies become friends. because it's exactly this kind ot thing that will make the world a better place, humans a better race. We need to work hard to get there already, instead of working against it and keeping this wrong status quo we have lived in so far alive. Hatred will never make the world a better place. Kindness and understanding just might. Those guys from zeon and the federation who worked together at the end, they are good people. And it's people like that, who give humanity hope. People like that we should look up too. No, Keeping Riddhe alive, having enemies turn friends, those bits where the very best parts of Unicorn, because those are importand life lessons we should learn from already. Everybody who mocks this, attacks this, or doesn't see how importand that is, needs to take some time and reconsider. Revange and hatred keeps misery and suffering alive. Kindness and forgiveness and understanding can and will create a better world if enough people work together to get this done. Don't attack these messages, support them, help hem grow. Spread love not hate and all that. Because as cliche as it sounds it's true. Hatred will never make the world a better place. But just maybe love might.
Feb 13, 2016 7:18 PM

Jan 2013
Man how do I even go back to other shows now....also to the guy who says 0079 is the best, thats fine if you think that but your fucking crazy.
Mar 25, 2016 1:18 PM

Nov 2011
This series gave me so much feels.
I watched it in dubbed and i have no regrets
Hate Keeps me warm
Apr 2, 2016 3:06 PM

Apr 2011
And I finished this at the right time for the remake.

I have only watched the 3 0079 movies, Zeta and CCA before. I had to spoil myself for Marida in ZZ but I don't regret not watching this (yet). I will go back to ZZ and the others I skipped later on since they didn't have that direct connection to Unicorn.

But what can I say? An amazing story with very good characters, plot points, music and animation. I really liked Links, Mineva and Marida.

10/10 for me.
Apr 12, 2016 11:33 AM
Apr 2015
This is shit. waste of time...
Jul 12, 2016 4:43 AM

Dec 2015
Absolutely amazing, I am yet to see anything evoke such raw emotions that this series did. Perfection.
~
Aug 16, 2016 3:47 AM

Jul 2008
Holy shit.....the feels in this one.

I rarely give 10/10 to anything but this gets one. The music, the animation, the callbacks, the cameos, everything just worked to such a high level.

If you've watched all the UC gundam before, then you'll get much more out of this. If not then not so much.

This was such a love letter to Gundam fans, especially UC fans. It shows that they can get it right.

Now if only we can get a Blu ray set stateside. Right Stuf MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!
Oct 18, 2016 5:31 PM

Jan 2014
Alright, I still have my gripes with Riddhe's impossibly wishy-washy emo bullshit and the way Marida was taken out of the story (yet another fucking Cyber Newtype who had to serve as some kind of sacrificial lamb even though she had just earned her salvation?? UC Gundam pls). I'm not quite sure what a "perfect Newtype" is supposed to represent, considering that Tomino's treatment of the topic in preceeding UC entries has been... extremely vague at best. What standards do we base ourselves on to determine that Banagher acheived this "perfect" status compared to the newtype pilots that came before him? Do we take into account the extent of his telepathic and/or psychokinetic abilities alone? If so, then I'd argue he barely outclasses the likes Kamille and Judau, who both have pretty ridiculous feats under their belts (especially the former, who's got some fucking stand-like aura shit going on that scared the living shit out of Haman Karn of all people and was hyped up by the woman herself as the key to a future Newtype revolution). Or do we take the machine into consideration as well? In which case, would a psycho-field of the same magnitude as the one we saw this episode have been achievable if Unicorn and Banshee were piloted these two I previously mentionned?

This question is probably fated to come up in every title dealing with Newtypes but now that Banana and Audrey Hepburn have shown humanity a world of new possibilities, will the psycommu system have to be limited to war machines? Isn't there any other means to allow Newtypes' potential to manifest and contribute to a peaceful future for both Earthlings and Spacenoids? I wonder if F-91 and/or Victory will touch on this.

Anywayyy, despite all my pet peeves and criticism, that finale was nothing short of glorious and what in my opinion could consitute a really satisfying conclusion to Universal Century and all its past conflicts. Full Front- you know what fuck it, I'll just call him Char! So, Char's death in particular and the whole spatiotemporal travel that came before it was easily the episode's best moment for me. I didn't quite realize just yet how hard CCA's last quarter hit me until I heard Amuro's voice again (and for the last time ;_;). Really makes me appreciate the movie even more in retrospect. The psycho-field was of course another highlight, and the BGM that accompanied it made me teary-eyed once again. And for all my ramblings about how shit Riddhe is, I'm glad he didn't die, as disturbing as the complete lack of negative reaction from everyone to his killing Marida was (I know the whole point of newtype connection is about forgiving and understanding, but damn). No easy way out for him, he got to see the error of his ways and must now live on with all the stupid shit he did. Same thing with Angelo; even though i never quite understood what the fucking deal with his Full Frontal obssession was, I was happy to see he survived and seemingly resigned himself to let go of his grudge when he realized the self-proclaimed vessel for all his negative feelings and wishes had passed away.

So yeah, fucking great finale to a pretty damn good UC entry that alone managed to bump my score from 7 to 8.

cupc said:
Even Amuro had a short line in there ;__;
I fucking creid m8; that shit was too real :'/
SapewlothDec 14, 2016 9:42 AM
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Nov 6, 2016 10:45 AM

Dec 2015
From beginning to end of this episode, I never realized I was watching a finale.

3/5 That wasn't bad, but there was nothing left to keep an eye on.

Overall:
Well, some nice exploitations of old elements in the middle of a vain epilogue full of 3DCGI.

Score: 5.5/10 (6/10 for the OAVs)
Enjoyment: far from what it's supposed to be considered how grand this deluxe OAV wants to be.

Sapewloth said:

This question is probably fated to come up in every title dealing with Newtypes but now that Banana and Audrey Hepburn showed humanity a world of new possibilities, will the psycommu system have to be limited to war machines? Isn't there any other means to allow Newtypes' potential to manifest and contribute to a peaceful future for both Earthlings and Spacenoids? I wonder if F-91 and/or Victory will touch on this.

All those super powers demonstrated thanks to the machines fully made of psychoframe are not seen anywhere after. Currently watching Victory, I found only a few Incoms, no funnels or aything relying on the psychommu system.
About Newtypes in general, it looks like they became very quiet (not a wonder after the past UC events). To the point they are creatures of legend (even the "white mobile suit" has reached this status in Victory's time), what certainly helped to reduce the importance of Newtype weapons development. A Newtype is even almost given a god-like status in this series.
Unicorn,because it inserts itself in past works, is anecdotical in term of impact. Unless you consider its events are a part of what convinced the Newtypes to stay hidden.

PS: the worst aspect of the later UC: newtypes are legends because of how strong and incredible they were... as soldiers. The theme the original saga hammered through NT is totally forgotten.

edit:
@Sapewloth Zut! I didn't want to reduce your interest in the next installments but simply help you to avoid unnecessary doomed expectations. Especially when you're about to discover the sadly unfinished great renewal of Gundam and Victory who is able to keep me hooked to battles when Zeta's ones annoyed me terribly.
Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy F91 in its own unique way. (still not over the 2 sequel movies that were never made).
And ESPs are still here less predominant, but never as a way to express the old idea represented by NT before. (and from the few more eps I've seen of Victory, the slim NT presence in it tends to go overboard in term of powers)

edit2: Oh, you already saw it. And disliked it. ^^" My bad.

@Sapewloth About Victory, Tomino felt that "the show went off in all directions and ended up lacking focus".

Anno thought "V Gundam is a story about soil and women".

Tomino had "the actual feeling of finally becoming able to write female characters". He "was very glad to get to the point where [he] thought [he]'d be able to depict woman’s nature", he "could see a woman’s blunt feelings".

But as Anno pointed the veteran out, he "focused so much on writing women [he] almost didn’t have any interest in men".

Source: Animage (an issue from 1994)
Interview made in reaction to Anno's opinion about Victory when it started its broadcast: the greatest Gundam show ever made.

And Rei thought it offered a good "sense of war", had a good use of its musical score (despite the lack of strong tracks), had far less annoying battles than Zeta, but got some awkward dialogue lines back and despised the absence of Yasuhiko (who had made its come-back with F91 in exchange of having a creative input on the story itself, q-p). Sorry, I must have forgotten some things.
Source: first-hand.

Warning: producers forced to broadcast the eps4 first, making eps 1-3 flashbacks shown right after. (you can try the order thought by the staff if you want)

August 20th, 2019
@gustavomazu He's supposed to have been some kind of artificiallly enhanced human (à la Cyber NT), somehow inseminated with Char's memories (or part of it) mimicking Gaia Gear's Affranchi Char, and based on his last animated (mystic) scene be the receptacle of a part of Char's newtype soul (don't ask me how and why). Unless this bit of soul was salvaged from the rest of some robot (after all, Evangelion did it).
This kind of things is to be expected when you know the (novels) author is someone who likes to write "fan-fictionny" style stories based on SFclassics he liked. So you end up with a melting pot of pseudo-hommage "good" ideas.

gustavomazu said:
the mystery of wheter or not char dies at the end of char's counterattack isn't worth keeping at bay forever

I am pretty sure Amuro and Char were both confirmed dead by the finale's creator. "MIA" is only because it was obviously impossible to recover the corpses.

February 23, 2020
Baka-Ouji said:
And so my journey through the universal century has come to an end.

So soon? But you missed such good parts...

February 25, 2020
@Baka-Ouji
I had to rewrite the whole thing from scratch since it was lost and had not the patience to do so, so excuse the note-taking style.

F91=long project trailer.Beauty to behold >Char's Counterattack.Great to see the original charadesigner's style in such quality.Interesting thematic coat (family) botched by producers.

Victory is... stupidly infamous."kill'em all" is in full effect but death is not to move you, it's an illustration of war: anyone, at any time, can die wether they were important or not,they're all "equal peoples" and had a life.
Actual problems: first episodes inverted, absolutely aimless (worse than Zeta's middle), some usual Tomino-isms (dialogues are ok but some bad habits are present), some illogical SF/mecha ideas, pretty poor visually.
Positives: OST, neat battle ideas
For any person that liked Gundam and maybe Zeta.

G-Reco: still watching it.
Very good aesthetically, battles well made, interesting geopolitical situation. Close enough to the UC era to be invested in and remote enough to wonder. Great technology implementations everywhere (mecha, everyday life). Tomino way of storytelling (most infos given through dialogues/situations/visuals) so it earned the false reputation of being unintelligible by baby anime consumers.
Interestingly, it seems like it will connect to Turn A (curious to see that)
I wouldn't say it's essential viewing. But it is always interesting to watch Tomino trying to express something new through his work.

Turn A: the (actual) UC epilogue you owe yourself to watch.
Despite parading as an all-universes epilogue (malicious Tomino) and being more than 1000years distant from the first stories, it works marvelously well as a conclusion to all things UC thanks to its shared thematics and creator. Yes, there is war anew despite all that happened before, but it's not in the form it took before and the way it's handled is new, the world is fresh and the characters all good (maybe too much). I would say that it meanders a lot but it's mainly for the better in this series, it suits it way better than it does to Zeta, ZZ or Victory. I wasn't sure at first that it was really linked to 0079 and all (I was thinking it could be simple fan-service) and then ... I ended up with teary eyes at the revelation ^^". The finale of the show isn't exceptional but its own little epilogue is perfect, the scene very comptently crafted, and got me to cry. -_-
Other positives: great music by Yoko Kanno, original robots, interesting chara-design.
So, if there was only one remainingslot for Gundam in your progrmmation, it ought to be this one.

WARNING: Unicorn doesn't affect any of those series since it was written a posteriori by someone else.

July 8, 2020
@St0rmblade Don't smile about this dumb Unicorn statue, this means it is now impossible to do a pilgrimage to the RX78-2. (I should have spared money and do the travel years ago, a shame...)

Glad you liked it, even the superpowers at the end. I can't blame you, I fell for the Ple fanservice too. (the mechanical fanservice though... with all those obsolete robots and weapons wasn't to my liking)
I hope you're ready to scale down power and size (no more humongous mechanical beast like the Sazabi or the models of this series). Of course; nothing from Unicorn ever happened regarding what comes next. ^^
Rei_IIIJul 9, 2020 2:03 AM
Nov 9, 2016 2:33 PM

Jan 2014
Rei366 said:
Sapewloth said:

This question is probably fated to come up in every title dealing with Newtypes but now that Banana and Audrey Hepburn showed humanity a world of new possibilities, will the psycommu system have to be limited to war machines? Isn't there any other means to allow Newtypes' potential to manifest and contribute to a peaceful future for both Earthlings and Spacenoids? I wonder if F-91 and/or Victory will touch on this.

All those super powers demonstrated thanks to the machines fully made of psychoframe are not seen anywhere after. Currently watching Victory, I found only a few Incoms, no funnels or aything relying on the psychommu system.
About Newtypes in general, it looks like they became very quiet (not a wonder after the past UC events). To the point they are creatures of legend (even the "white mobile suit" has reached this status in Victory's time), what certainly helped to reduce the importance of Newtype weapons development. A Newtype is even almost given a god-like status in this series.
Unicorn,because it inserts itself in past works, is anecdotical in term of impact. Unless you consider its events are a part of what convinced the Newtypes to stay hidden.

PS: the worst aspect of the later UC: newtypes are legends because of how strong and incredible they were... as soldiers. The theme the original saga hammered through NT is totally forgotten.
Well, that's a shame. I mean, I somewhat expected Unicorn not to break continuity nor have any significant impact on the future events of the UC timeline since it's a recent work, but it's disappointing to hear that Tomino dropped all those interesting ideas he introduced in the earlier UC entries. For all its flaws, I think the whole idea of Newtype and extra-sensorial connections established through space and time was a genuinely fascinating concept that would've seriously benefitted from being further expanded upon.

I'm still gonna watch F91 and Victory I think, but I'm not so enthusiastic about it anymore, to be perfectly honest...

edit: @Rei366 lol don't worry about it, it's my fault for having those expectations to begin with; I should know by now that Tomino has a thing for introducing great and original ideas and never following up on them. I sadly wasn't impressed by F91 (it really should've been a TV series), but if Victory is able to stand on its own and be enjoyable regardless of my lowered expectations, then all the better.
Thx again for all this info by the way
SapewlothNov 10, 2016 1:43 AM
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Nov 26, 2016 4:42 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
7 ovas for enjoy and this last one was cool!!!!

War, deaths, drama, goods, bads, uglys, tratition, hope, hope, hope to end fight and all were are equals!!!!

9/10.
Jan 22, 2018 4:16 AM

Dec 2015
Hands down, the greatest and most breathtaking anime I have and will ever watch.

No series will come close to eliciting the rainbow of emotions I shed through watching this masterpiece.
~
Mar 5, 2018 5:24 PM

May 2015
This was a good show... great battle choreographies, new model & old model of mobile suit from all if not most of the shows and many locations from all the Universal Century. This tied some lose plot points and expanded the lore, I can’t complain...
Apr 15, 2018 4:51 PM
Jan 2017
Rei366 said:
@Sapewloth About Victory, Tomino felt that "the show went off in all directions and ended up lacking focus".

Tomino had "the actual feeling of finally becoming able to write female characters". He "was very glad to get to the point where [he] thought [he]'d be able to depict woman’s nature", he "could see a woman’s blunt feelings".

But as Anno pointed the veteran out, he "focused so much on writing women [he] almost didn’t have any interest in men".

Interview made in reaction to Anno's opinion about Victory when it started its broadcast: the greatest Gundam show ever made.

And Rei thought it offered a good "sense of war", had a good use of its musical score (despite the lack of strong tracks), had far less annoying battles than Zeta, but got some awkward dialogue lines back and despised the absence of Yasuhiko (who had made its come-back with F91 in exchange of having a creative input on the story itself, q-p). Sorry, I must have forgotten some things.

Warning: producers forced to broadcast the eps4 first, making eps 1-3 flashbacks shown right after. (you can try the order thought by the staff if you want)

True but keep in mind both the Unicorn and the Banshee were essentially put away over time got lost never to be used again, Banshee was given to Londo Bell by AE but the EF being scared of it power shown locked it away while Unicorn was sealed away in Magellanicia. Due the psycho frames being too unpredictable EF looked for alternative computer system to enhance mobile suits lead to developing the Bio- Computer. This something the anime should have explained but leaves the viewer in the dark.

Overall Unicorn was decent even call backs to previous serious was great and complexity of war and social issues it stumbled in a few areas still feels odd as the advancement of technology in such a short time plus doesnt really tie well into later UC enetires

Rei366 said:

Both the Unicorn and Banshee were sealed and eventually lost,the Banshee was give to London Bell by the AE only for EF to take as they feared the power it displayed locked it away in a weapon's disposal site and never used it again. Unicorn somehow ended up in Earth Sphere after being sealed away in Mallagellanica, due to the psycho-frame being too unpredictable EF looked for an alternative for a computer system to enhance MS in battle which was Bio- Computer which derived from medical technology. Why the anime didn't explain this is annoying it would've gave context to why future shows in the UC doesn't use the same MS suit technology.

As for Unicorn it was decent, the complexity of the characters motivations with the social and political issues surrounding it was good. The callback to previous UC shows not only helped the plot as fan who previous shows it brings the show together. Not really a big fan of the advancement of technology as doesn't fit well or even tie to future UC shows, even though Laplace box reveal made sense it toeing the line of a retcon, in a way the show still feels out of place.
Temujin26SApr 15, 2018 4:56 PM
May 18, 2018 9:24 PM

Apr 2009
Oh my gosh. This show is terrible. I tried to love it but I can't.

3/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2018 6:15 AM

Nov 2017
Character writing was really not that great but at least it ends UC better than CCA 8/10.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

TechnicsMKII - Oct 29, 2010

117 by Ten »»
Apr 25, 10:15 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ranlos - Mar 6, 2011

86 by TheRestlessOne »»
Dec 25, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BladedWarrior - Nov 13, 2011

93 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 19, 2023 11:59 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TechnicsMKII - Feb 19, 2010

215 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 19, 2023 5:47 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

stAtic91 - Mar 2, 2013

70 by Neemesis_2 »»
Sep 23, 2023 5:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.