Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
May 8, 2014 10:12 PM

Feb 2014
What was unnecessary?
May 9, 2014 11:00 AM

Dec 2008
Well...this...sure was....................erotic.

Sent with Mal Updater
May 9, 2014 12:24 PM

Dec 2010
This first half of the episode made me uncomfortable LMFAO
May 9, 2014 12:42 PM

Oct 2011
OMG !!!!!!! Goosebumps
May 9, 2014 2:45 PM
Jul 2018
The first half made me died so hard lol. And damn it ended on a cliffhanger. :(
May 10, 2014 3:16 PM

Nov 2013
now that was some deep shit
May 11, 2014 10:37 PM

Jan 2012
next level sex
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
May 12, 2014 1:42 AM

May 2007
Belated Happy Mother's Day to the Royal Guards (especially Pouf and Youpi) who are at this point, Meruem's "mothers".
May 12, 2014 1:50 AM
Apr 2013
I'm glad Meruem is alive but does this arc ever end?? The pacing in this show is freaking terrible. That stuff with Youpi and Pouf was stupid and it totally took all the drama out of Meruem coming back to life. So, that's pacing and atmosphere, both horrible.
May 12, 2014 2:00 AM

Dec 2008
I thought both the atmosphere and pacing were brilliant, but to each his own I guess. I think this arc's gonna end at episode 135?

May 12, 2014 2:02 AM

Jan 2014
ReadyJoan said:
I'm glad Meruem is alive but does this arc ever end?? The pacing in this show is freaking terrible. That stuff with Youpi and Pouf was stupid and it totally took all the drama out of Meruem coming back to life. So, that's pacing and atmosphere, both horrible.

Pacing's perfect imo, it takes that much because it needs that much, not the other way around.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2014 6:52 AM

Apr 2009
After some really nice eps we get another weak one. I was falling asleep by the end of it. It dragged and the characters acted in ways that weren't exactly believable. This arc could've been one of the best anime arcs ever if it was executed well. As it stands I think it'll end up being kinda like a 7/10 arc for me. There's some really great stuff in it, but in terms of execution it just falls flat. Like others have said if the arc was cut in half and all the fat trimmed from it, it would've been a shit ton better.
May 12, 2014 8:30 AM

Jan 2014
Why does pretty much every criticism of this arc seem like a bunch of generic buzzwords that can hardly apply?

How would it be cut in half? What would be removed?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2014 8:54 AM

Apr 2009
judals said:
Why does pretty much every criticism of this arc seem like a bunch of generic buzzwords that can hardly apply?

How would it be cut in half? What would be removed?

Maybe because those buzzwords are actually applicable. Well the middle section of the arc did really drag I think most people could agree about that. Fights were made a lot longer then they should be, and there were a lot of fights vs the ants that were really unnecessary and simply not entertaining. If those were made more brief then it would've been totally acceptable. Then there was the over usage of slow mo, re-usage of clips, still frames with narration, and really long inner monologues. And I get that actually a lot of you enjoyed those things about it, but for me if they were cut, or preferably shortened considerably, it would've been a whole lot more entertaining.

And what about Ikalgos parts, were those really neccessary to the narrative? Did they actually affect the story in the end? And knuckles nen ability, they went so in depth into how it works, spent so much time building up the logic behind it so we understand how it works, and in the end it had no significant impact on the plot.

As for this episode, well they spent a lot of time agonizing and explaining how much they love the king. I dont think the imagery they were using really worked, and overall it just wasn't emotionally impactful in the way that it was trying so hard to be. The whole memory loss thing, it just seemed kind of silly.
May 12, 2014 8:59 AM

Jan 2014
You just made a longer post saying the same post, lacks exexution.

What middle parts? Ikalgo's development was relevant, maybe you did not like it, but it was important to what the invasion would be.

The middle had Meruem's development, build up for the invasion, lotd of planning and characterization that without it, it would have been an action flick. Same as with the monologue/narration.
I understand why would one dislike this, but it is hardly irrelevant, or can be removed without colossal changes in what the arc is aiming to be.
May 12, 2014 9:22 AM

Apr 2009
judals said:
You just made a longer post saying the same post, lacks exexution.

What middle parts? Ikalgo's development was relevant, maybe you did not like it, but it was important to what the invasion would be.

The middle had Meruem's development, build up for the invasion, lotd of planning and characterization that without it, it would have been an action flick. Same as with the monologue/narration.
I understand why would one dislike this, but it is hardly irrelevant, or can be removed without colossal changes in what the arc is aiming to be.

It's not just execution, but how the whole arc is structured that is lacking.

You criticized me for relying on buzzwords, so I explained specific things in depth, that's the logical thing to do lol. How did Ikalgo's part influence what invasion was, correct me if I'm wrong but if you take all of his parts out of the invasion I don't think it would really influence how the invasion turned out.

And yeah I loved Meruem's developments, the parts with the gungi were great. The planning and characterization was fine(though they dragged it out too much). I'm talking about the battles with the no name ants that would last whole episodes. If there were less of them, or they were shorter it would be fine.

The monlogues and narration was just taken way too far. Sometimes less is more, and I'm not saying it shouldn't be there at all. But I think if they had less it would be better.
May 12, 2014 9:29 AM

Dec 2012
WyattEarp said:

And what about Ikalgos parts, were those really neccessary to the narrative? Did they actually affect the story in the end?

Nope.

The whole memory loss thing, it just seemed kind of silly.

And ultimately pointless.
May 12, 2014 9:33 AM

Jun 2009
WyattEarp said:

And knuckles nen ability, they went so in depth into how it works, spent so much time building up the logic behind it so we understand how it works, and in the end it had no significant impact on the plot.

I've considered a lot of the material focusing on Knuckle to be highlights of this arc. His thoughts in pre-invasion scene wondering if (and this is paraphrased) "the King is a good person. I must believe it is so", turning back to fight Youpi because of pride, wondering why he is fighting to avenge Shoot, the life flashing before his eyes moment, and just how his overall kindness is utilized throughout the arc.

Also, his nen ability has been absolutely important so far and, considering he put it on Pouf, it looks like it may play a huge part in the conclusion of the arc. Maybe even lead to Pouf's defeat. Even if it doesn't it's useful to keep track of his location. I can sort of understand people saying Ikalgo isn't important to the story (though, as I've said many, many times I don't agree with that notion) but Knuckle? Nope.

As I said before, I get the impression the memory loss is the catalyst for the "battle" for Meruem's "soul". Note how, almost as soon as he learns of the amnesia, Pouf immediately goes to kill Komugi. Normally I would say memory loss is a bad move. But, Togashi has a way with taking cliches and using them in an interesting way. I have no doubt this will be any different.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 12, 2014 9:34 AM

Jan 2014
He is the one who initially served as surveillence in palm's stead, and he's the one who stopped Bloster and Welfin.
He's the one who saved Killua's life (and got him almost killed in the first place).

The unnamed ants were three and had a net total of less than one episode.
Less is more? How so? Each part of the narration specifically catered to certain characters, taking one would mean less characterization for thay character, and since it had importance in fleshing them out, reducing them would affect the characters, even if it meant more action, I would pass.
May 12, 2014 9:43 AM

Jun 2009
WyattEarp said:
I'm talking about the battles with the no name ants that would last whole episodes. If there were less of them, or they were shorter it would be fine.

I'll admit that some of these battles weren't particularly interesting for me, as I consider that short stretch of episodes where Killua and Gon split up right before the invasion to be the weak point of the arc. But, I think they do serve a purpose. Melereon is having his squad attack Gon in an effort to see if the kid is worth teaming up with or not and Killua's dart fight introduces Ikalgo (though you don't think he's important). Besides, even if they didn't add much of anything, these were like two episodes in total? That's really short, imo.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 12, 2014 9:44 AM

Feb 2014
insan3Spectre said:
WyattEarp said:

And knuckles nen ability, they went so in depth into how it works, spent so much time building up the logic behind it so we understand how it works, and in the end it had no significant impact on the plot.

I've considered a lot of the material focusing on Knuckle to be highlights of this arc. His thoughts in pre-invasion scene wondering if (and this is paraphrased) "the King is a good person. I must believe it is so", turning back to fight Youpi because of pride, wondering why he is fighting to avenge Shoot, the life flashing before his eyes moment, and just how his overall kindness is utilized throughout the arc.

Also, his nen ability has been absolutely important so far and, considering he put it on Pouf, it looks like it may play a huge part in the conclusion of the arc. Maybe even lead to Pouf's defeat. Even if it doesn't it's useful to keep track of his location. I can sort of understand people saying Ikalgo isn't important to the story (though, as I've said many, many times I don't agree with that notion) but Knuckle? Nope.

As I said before, I get the impression the memory loss is the catalyst for the "battle" for Meruem's "soul". Note how, almost as soon as he learns of the amnesia, Pouf immediately goes to kill Komugi. Normally I would say memory loss is a bad move. But, Togashi has a way with taking cliches and using them in an interesting way. I have no doubt this will be any different.

Yes. The memory loss might first be interpreted simply as he final development of Meruem turning to the complete evil side of his, but as we saw in this episode (and ultimately throughout this arc), it's for the growth of his character and how he regains his memories, what he does about it.
It's my favorite part of the manga.

I pray thay Tomoko Mori gets episode 130!
May 12, 2014 9:47 AM

Apr 2009
insan3Spectre said:
WyattEarp said:

He put it on Pouf? When did that happen? Well Knuckles ability has been useful in tracking people, but the whole taxing thing? My criticism is that they spent so much time explaining that taxing system when it didn't really do anything. Don't get me wrong I love Knuckle as a character, I just hate his nen ability, I hate the design of it, how it's implimented, and how it doesn't match his personality at all.

Well I guess well see if the memory loss thing pays off by next episode.
May 12, 2014 9:48 AM

Jan 2014
insan3Spectre said:
WyattEarp said:
I'm talking about the battles with the no name ants that would last whole episodes. If there were less of them, or they were shorter it would be fine.

I'll admit that some of these battles weren't particularly interesting for me, as I consider that short stretch of episodes where Killua and Gon split up right before the invasion to be the weak point of the arc. But, I think they do serve a purpose. Melereon is having his squad attack Gon in an effort to see if the kid is worth teaming up with or not and Killua's dart fight introduces Ikalgo (though you don't think he's important). Besides, even if they didn't add much of anything, these were like two episodes in total? That's really short, imo.

I think so, but even then it had a lot of talking with Meleoron, and Ikalgo's friendship, which people seem to forget.
May 12, 2014 10:01 AM
Jun 2013
WyattEarp said:
And what about Ikalgos parts, were those really neccessary to the narrative? Did they actually affect the story in the end?

I find it funny that you're trying to judge the arc before it ends. Anyway, this arc will end at episode 135. Once it's done, I would like to have a discussion with you about how Ikalgo and his developments weren't necessary to the plot.
MSVMay 12, 2014 10:05 AM
May 12, 2014 10:05 AM

Apr 2009
MSV said:
WyattEarpAnd said:
what about Ikalgos parts, were those really neccessary to the narrative? Did they actually affect the story in the end?

I find it funny that you're trying to judge the arc before it ends. Anyway, this arc will end at episode 135. Once it's done, I would like to have a discussion with you about how Ikalgo and his developments weren't necessary.

Ikalgos goal was to rescue Palm, but she ended up getting free in her own way haha, which would be fine, I just think it was bad to spend so many episodes showing and carefully describing Ikalgo's struggles just to render them useless. Like most of my criticisms of the arc, I wouldn't have them if it was all just more to the point and concise.
WyattEarpMay 12, 2014 10:09 AM
May 12, 2014 10:09 AM
Jun 2013
WyattEarp said:
Ikalgos goal was to rescue Palm, but she ended up getting free in her own way haha, which would be fine, I just think it was bad to spend so many episodes showing and carefully describing Ikalgo's struggles just to render them useless. Like most of my criticisms of the arc, I wouldn't have them if it was all just more to the point and concise.

I will say it again, judge it once the arc is DONE.
May 12, 2014 10:10 AM

Dec 2012
MSV said:
WyattEarp said:

I find it funny that you're trying to judge the arc before it ends. Anyway, this arc will end at episode 135. Once it's done, I would like to have a discussion with you about how Ikalgo and his developments weren't necessary to the plot.

His role in the whole invasion is indirectly relevant to a not so important event, that could have easily been achieved in other means.

So groundbreaking. He definitely deserved all the screen time he got. What a well written character.
May 12, 2014 10:13 AM

Jun 2009
WyattEarp said:

He put it on Pouf? When did that happen? Well Knuckles ability has been useful in tracking people, but the whole taxing thing? My criticism is that they spent so much time explaining that taxing system when it didn't really do anything. Don't get me wrong I love Knuckle as a character, I just hate his nen ability, I hate the design of it, how it's implimented, and how it doesn't match his personality at all.

When Pouf's clone goes to kill Komugi, he finds the room empty and then gets attacked by an invisible Knuckle. And, I really don't get how you can say it hasn't done anything. APR is what the entire battle with Youpi was built around. It's true that it didn't defeat the guy,but that's because Youpi is a monster and the point of that battle was to delay the Royal Guard not defeat them anyway.

I disagree with the dislike of the ability, I find it to be one of the coolest and most interesting out there. I also love how it, and his personality, is completely different from how you would think the character would be judging by his appearance.
Ston3_FreeN7May 12, 2014 10:26 AM

- Geralt of Rivia
May 12, 2014 10:23 AM

Jun 2011
TonyTonyStark said:

Mori is animating episode 131 and I believe 130 will be outsourced.
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

May 12, 2014 10:24 AM

Apr 2009
insan3Spectre said:
WyattEarp said:

When Pouf's clone goes to kill Komugi, he finds the room empty and then gets attacked by an invisible Knuckle. And, I really don't get how you can say it hasn't done anything. APR is what the entire battle with Youpi was built around. It's true that it didn't defeat the guy,but that's because Youpi is a monster and the point of that battle was to delay the Royal Guard not defeat them anyway.

I disagree with the dislike of the ability, I find it to be one of the coolest and most interesting out there. I also love how it, and his personality, is completely different form how you would think the character would be judging by his appearance.

Hmm i guess I forgot about that since I didnt see the APR following him around.

Yeah but it didn't affect the outcome of that battle at all lol. They gave it so much screen time when it didnt really do anything... I think it's an interesting ability that wasn't implemented very well, and had a silly and unappealing design, but that's me.
May 12, 2014 10:27 AM

May 2014
First of all, I do not intend to impose my point of view. My purpose is only to discuss and share my opinion.

WyattEarp said:
Well the middle section of the arc did really drag I think most people could agree about that. Fights were made a lot longer then they should be, and there were a lot of fights vs the ants that were really unnecessary and simply not entertaining. If those were made more brief then it would've been totally acceptable.

I do not know if these fights (I assume you are talking about Gon and Killua's fights with Meleoron and Ikalgo's respective minions) were dragged out, but I thought they were cool. They delivered in the interesting tactical encounter department that distinguishes HxH as a whole, and (obviously) lead to the introduction of Meleon and Ikalgo. I think they are mainly there for entertainment value, but there is noghting wront with that; unless, of course, you weren't entertained, which is understandable, considering people where hooked with the King and Neferpitou, at this point.

WyattEarp said:
Then there was the over usage of slow mo, re-usage of clips, still frames with narration, and really long inner monologues. And I get that actually a lot of you enjoyed those things about it, but for me if they were cut, or preferably shortened considerably, it would've been a whole lot more entertaining.

Yes, removing the narration from the arc would result in fast paced action and development, but I think that would remove a fundamental part of what makes the invasion unique. The thing is there is too much going on simultaneously during the invasion for it to be shown without some narrative aid. Besides, using narration allows us to dig deeper into the characterization and emphasize the importance of quick events. (i.e. the King walking through Netero and Zeno, Killua wasting time helping Ikalgo, Gon not hesitating to attack Youpi given the possibility Knuckle was dead, etc.)

The narration does not translate well to anime as it worked on the manga, but this is just a weakness of animation (or strength of comics media), so I wouldn't balme anyone about this. Pulling off the arc without the narration would require a mayor narrative overhaul, which could easily end up either way.

The arc hasn't ended.

WyattEarp said:

Youpi's battle was determined by Knuckl'es nen ability. It is absolutely crucial to the plot. Besides, there's fans (like me) that enjoy getting a deeper understanding of nen, even to a trivial degree.

WyattEarp said:
As for this episode, well they spent a lot of time agonizing and explaining how much they love the king. I dont think the imagery they were using really worked, and overall it just wasn't emotionally impactful in the way that it was trying so hard to be. The whole memory loss thing, it just seemed kind of silly.

I think this is another weakness of the manga - anime transition. This kind og imagery is easier to accept in manga form, where the media makes it easier to blurr the distinction between 'reality' and 'emotion', contrary to animation, which feels closer to life and, therefore, results weirder when suddenly emotion has a visible impact on the surroundings.
May 12, 2014 10:34 AM

Apr 2009

True those fights were meant as entertainment value, and I didn't find those fights to be entertaining at all.

Yeah sure narration was crucial, but not to the extent that it was shown. I don't think it worked well when combined with all the still frames, inner monolgue, repeated animations, slow mo, etc. It just didn't come together well in my opinion. Anyways this is an episode discussion so maybe we should save these discussions for a later time when the arc is finished.
May 12, 2014 10:40 AM
Jun 2013
tsudecimo said:
His role in the whole invasion is indirectly relevant to a not so important event, that could have easily been achieved in other means.

So groundbreaking. He definitely deserved all the screen time he got. What a well written character.

This alone shows that you didn't understand the whole purpose of this arc. Anyway, I don't think it's a good idea to discuss these events here.
May 12, 2014 10:47 AM

Dec 2012
MSV said:
tsudecimo said:

This alone shows that you didn't understand the whole purpose of this arc. Anyway, I don't think it's a good idea to discuss these here.

Yeah.
May 12, 2014 10:48 AM

May 2014
WyattEarp said:

True those fights were meant as entertainment value, and I didn't find those fights to be entertaining at all.

Yes, entertainment in a Hunter Exam battle of wits kind-of entertainment. But it's cool if you didn't find it to your liking. Entertainment is as subjective as it gets.
May 12, 2014 1:08 PM

Feb 2014
People can't just retrospectively call someone useless.
Yes, Ikalgo did not sae palm, but should he have just sat on his butt just because he somehow magically knows he won't be saving her in the future?
It would have been highly improbable, and very conventional as per shonen standards, that everyone would accomplish their mission.
Is this the first time you see characters failing to fulfill an objective?

He still found his use in other ways.

xmaikokoro said:
TonyTonyStark said:

Fuuuuu!
All hope is gone unless they slow down episodes 129 & 130.
Mori is meant for Gon.
May 12, 2014 1:47 PM
Jun 2013
tsudecimo said:
MSV said:
tsudecimo said:

This alone shows that you didn't understand the whole purpose of this arc. Anyway, I don't think it's a good idea to discuss these here.

Yeah.

May 12, 2014 1:56 PM

Dec 2012
MSV said:
tsudecimo said:
MSV said:
tsudecimo said:

Yeah.

May 12, 2014 2:06 PM

Jun 2011
TonyTonyStark said:

xmaikokoro said:
TonyTonyStark said:

Fuuuuu!
All hope is gone unless they slow down episodes 129 & 130.
Mori is meant for Gon.

Well, going by the episode titles, I think Mori is still doing the episode you're hoping for. Episode 131 is called Anger x and x Light.
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

May 12, 2014 2:13 PM

Mar 2014
WyattEarp said:
Yeah but it didn't affect the outcome of that battle at all lol. They gave it so much screen time when it didnt really do anything... I think it's an interesting ability that wasn't implemented very well, and had a silly and unappealing design, but that's me.

The uselessness of the APR was the point -- it was meant to show just how freaking ridiculous Youpi is. Now, the APR isn't a useless tool by nature, it was able to make Gon, who is fairly strong, bankrupt. But with Youpi, it was useless -- and I liked that.

It showed that Youpi was so much more than capable of wiping out each and every one of them, but he didn't. It developed his character to where he was able to control his anger and actually decide for himself on things besides "THE KING!!!". For the first time, he learned the value of a worthy opponent and how Knuckle just wasn't good enough. That it would have been just a waste to kill him right there (think Hisoka to Gon). Of course, this development was flushed down when they found out that Meruem died but that's to be expected after seeing your main priority being charred to bits. But this was good -- how Youpi returned from "somewhat human" to being an ant. It just further emphasized the "monster cannot be a man" ideal that our late Netero had.
jreginaldMay 12, 2014 2:38 PM
May 12, 2014 2:13 PM

Jun 2009
Hey, can you guys not talk about whatever you are talking about? I won't read the tags, but that shit is tempting and I'd feel bad for anyone who does end up getting themselves spoiled. The arc ends in a few weeks, we can discuss the hell out of whatever Tsudecimo doesn't like then.

- Geralt of Rivia
May 12, 2014 2:26 PM
Jun 2013
tsudecimo said:

As I said earlier, I don't think it's a good idea to discuss these events here, so we should either discuss it at a different place or wait for the arc to end as insan3Spectre said.
MSVMay 12, 2014 2:37 PM
May 12, 2014 2:31 PM

Mar 2014
Yeah, I really want to say something about what tsudecimo said but just drop it guys, for the sake of those that don't know what's going to come next.

A shitload of spoiler tags is just as tempting as censored nudes.
May 12, 2014 2:34 PM

Dec 2012
My bad. Just a bad habit, I'm trying to get rid off.
May 12, 2014 2:42 PM

Apr 2014
Wow... I feel seriously shitty right now. >.<
OK gonna delete my post now.
May 12, 2014 2:43 PM

Mar 2014
Lol don't worry, I read the manga. I'm more concerned for people like InsaneSpectre. Check out my spoiler tag.
May 12, 2014 2:44 PM

Dec 2012
@GoldenBlue

You misunderstood my point by quite a lot.
May 12, 2014 2:45 PM

Mar 2014
Should ask a mod to take out all the spoilers.

Jun 2009
*Doesn't know if he should scroll up the page*

- Geralt of Rivia

Mar 2014
insan3Spectre said:
*Doesn't know if he should scroll up the page*

Don't.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 24, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.