Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 23, 2014 5:27 AM
Jan 2014
Where have you learned or are learning japanese? I wanna learn really badly but there is no classes by where I live. Any recommended sites you pay for? I want something that will guarantee to have correct info. I've heard a few things about gojapan or whatever? I have also heard Rosetta Stone isn't really good. Thanks!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 23, 2014 5:28 AM

Mar 2014
http://translate.google.com/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2014 5:34 AM
Jul 2018
Anime
Apr 23, 2014 5:36 AM
Apr 23, 2014 5:38 AM
Dec 2013
You are correct OP, Rosetta Stone is a big rip-off. It had the opposite affect on me.

Don't get it.
Apr 23, 2014 5:42 AM
Apr 2013
About.com and google.
Apr 23, 2014 5:46 AM
Jan 2013
Fakku
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2014 5:48 AM
Jan 2014
Intensive course.
Apr 23, 2014 7:28 AM

Sep 2013
At home. Learn to read the kanas and some basic grammar and then try to read manga in Japanese. Takes some time but eventually you'll understand it.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Apr 23, 2014 7:35 AM

Jul 2011
I did?, i never noticed.
Apr 23, 2014 7:43 AM

Apr 2014
Anime and i can only speak few line or words but i can understand most of it
Life is Fun! Yeah,try chanting that 10,000 times each day!
it will mess with your head,and all your pain will disappear
Apr 23, 2014 8:01 AM

Feb 2013
ryuushogi said:
Anime and i can only speak few line or words but i can understand most of it

So you don't know Japanese but you can understand it? :/
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Apr 23, 2014 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
I never fully learned it, but learned a bit from a Japanse language Aid that was hosted by a university for free. Thats been taken down now of course.
Apr 23, 2014 8:07 AM

Feb 2013
From the back of a ramen pouch.
Apr 23, 2014 8:27 AM
May 2009
Apr 23, 2014 12:06 PM
Mar 2014
Multiple methods, including Rosetta Stone.
Apr 23, 2014 12:09 PM

Mar 2014
I got a montage to help me,
Apr 23, 2014 12:15 PM

Apr 2012
i learned from boku no pico

Apr 23, 2014 2:47 PM
Dec 2013
Animu.
Apr 23, 2014 2:53 PM

Aug 2007
Native speaker. But I'm surprised no one has said "2chan" yet. w
Apr 23, 2014 2:59 PM

Jun 2010
group lessons for a year and on my own after that. When you learn it by yourself you can't be so organized anymore.. so if you want faster results just start with classes (online college course?) or a private teacher lol
Apr 23, 2014 3:18 PM

Apr 2014
BarryManilow said:
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Apr 23, 2014 3:51 PM

Apr 2014
Took some in college, went over there for a while and studied more. Haven't been able to really improve my skills for a while, but I try to at least maintain by watching anime and listening closely to dialogue and by writing to Japanese friends.
Apr 23, 2014 4:19 PM

Feb 2013
My mom
Apr 23, 2014 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
Self taught, mostly through reading books
Apr 23, 2014 5:02 PM

Apr 2012
I learned basic hiragana/katakana from Nama-sensei. It's a shame he barely makes videos anymore.
Apr 23, 2014 5:04 PM

Apr 2012
BarryManilow said:
I lol'ed at this one.

Takaoreo said:
Anime/Language Courses in College. It's not that hard, just devote time and energy when your mind is clear enough to do so.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Apr 23, 2014 5:05 PM

Jun 2012
Nippon.
Apr 23, 2014 6:04 PM

Apr 2014
I didn't.
EDIT: EWWW my 100th post was this? GAH!
Apr 23, 2014 6:14 PM

Dec 2013
Everyone I've ever known or heard about who was actually multilingual (as in fluent, as opposed to just picking up on phrases) either grew up learning more than one language, or lived in a place where everyone spoke a language that they did not. Language is a social thing, it's not something you're really gonna be able to learn fully by yourself, no matter how you go about it.
Apr 23, 2014 6:15 PM

Feb 2014
There is not much to gain from learning japanese other than lack of needing subs.

Learning either Mandarin or Cantonese would be incredibly useful in life, albeit japanese is easier to learn OP. Classes/online classes is your best bet at learning it.
Apr 23, 2014 6:16 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:
There is not much to gain from learning japanese other than lack of needing subs.

Learning either Mandarin or Cantonese would be incredibly useful in life, albeit japanese is easier to learn OP. Classes/online classes is your best bet at learning it.

There is absolutely no need to ever learn more than one of the official UN languages. You will always be able to find a translator.

...unless you want to be a translator, I guess.
Apr 23, 2014 6:17 PM

Oct 2013
I still have trouble reading Kanji properly but uhh my mon taught me since she lived in Nagoya for 8 years and I'm also taking Japanese class in HS
Apr 23, 2014 6:26 PM

Dec 2013
R4vel said:
I still have trouble reading Kanji properly but uhh my mon taught me since she lived in Nagoya for 8 years and I'm also taking Japanese class in HS

Huh, I wish I had the option of taking Japanese. My highschool only offered French, Spanish and Latin.
Apr 23, 2014 6:28 PM

Dec 2013
bunny_lover said:
BarryManilow said:
I lol'ed at this one.

You can actually make that work fairly well, as long as you stick to extremely proper grammar, spell everything perfectly, avoid all contractions, abbreviations, acronyms, slang, passive voice, idioms, metaphors, etc. and split everything into multiple simple sentences, rather than having one long complex one. A good way to tell if it's being translated correctly or not is to copy the output and translate that back, and see how much it changes it.
Apr 23, 2014 6:31 PM

Feb 2014
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:

There is absolutely no need to ever learn more than one of the official UN languages. You will always be able to find a translator.

...unless you want to be a translator, I guess.

Not really helpful if you have business in either Japan or China though. China being a upcoming major superpower an all it would benefit a person with business interest to learn mandarin.
Apr 23, 2014 6:33 PM

Mar 2014
Miyata- said:

Whoops, totally misread that. Post deleted.
Apr 23, 2014 6:40 PM

Jan 2013
I'm currently learning it at a Japanese Language school. You can learn it on your own by buying some good books, language tapes, talking with native speakers etc.
Apr 23, 2014 6:41 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:
Not really helpful if you have business in either Japan or China though. China being a upcoming major superpower an all it would benefit a person with business interest to learn mandarin.

If you're talking about doing business in China, and you actually have to have direct contact with your business partners, chances are you're a board member of a large corporation... in which case, you'll have translators on your payroll... Unless you mean actually living in China, running a tea shop or something...

There's a reason why being a translator is a job. Business people go to business school to learn how to run a business. That takes a lot of time and money. And once they start their career, they never have free time. It would be irresponsible for a business person to not hire a translator, if they are doing business with another country that speaks another language.
Apr 23, 2014 6:48 PM
Jul 2018
School.
Apr 23, 2014 6:48 PM

Feb 2014
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:

If you're talking about doing business in China, and you actually have to have direct contact with your business partners, chances are you're a board member of a large corporation... in which case, you'll have translators on your payroll... Unless you mean actually living in China, running a tea shop or something...

There's a reason why being a translator is a job. Business people go to business school to learn how to run a business. That takes a lot of time and money. And once they start their career, they never have free time. It would be irresponsible for a business person to not hire a translator, if they are doing business with another country that speaks another language.

As I said learning mandarin would be beneficial and helpful.

Nowhere did I bash translators in my post, also you seem to have the most simplistic idea of business. I won't go into this further.

I leave you with this though..

"Several companies based in the United States conduct business in China and have long-term investments there (and with more companies wanting to conduct business with China, the country would take preference toward businesspeople who can speak their native language, Mandarin, rather than English)."
Apr 23, 2014 7:48 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:
you seem to have the most simplistic idea of business

Are you looking at this as a supply and demand problem? High demand and low supply for bilingual businessmen means they get paid more? The supply and demand view is the simple view... simple enough that they teach it in elementary school...

There's a lot more than just how badly they want to do business with you. Typically, the only time you have customers crawling all over you anyway is when you either aren't turning a profit, or more likely when you're losing money.

Perhaps the Chinese companies would prefer to do business with people who speak their language. But why? Perhaps it's just part of their culture, and it makes them more comfortable, in which case it's not likely to be a deal breaker. But the more time you spend on learning Chinese, the less time you spend learning how to do business. In other words, you are more likely to be inexperienced and easy to manipulate. That's profitable for them, not you.
Apr 23, 2014 8:02 PM

Feb 2014
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:

Are you looking at this as a supply and demand problem? High demand and low supply for bilingual businessmen means they get paid more? The supply and demand view is the simple view... simple enough that they teach it in elementary school...

There's a lot more than just how badly they want to do business with you. Typically, the only time you have customers crawling all over you anyway is when you either aren't turning a profit, or more likely when you're losing money.

Perhaps the Chinese companies would prefer to do business with people who speak their language. But why? Perhaps it's just part of their culture, and it makes them more comfortable, in which case it's not likely to be a deal breaker. But the more time you spend on learning Chinese, the less time you spend learning how to do business. In other words, you are more likely to be inexperienced and easy to manipulate. That's profitable for them, not you.

I believe you took some time out to go out of your way to answer my post even though I said I wouldn't go into it further, I atleast owe you a reply.

It is clear to me and anyone with some business sense that you have a major lack of knowledge when it comes to business. Which is completely fine as long as business isn't your profession that I assume.

And just to be clear I wasn't looking at this from a simple supply and demand level you basically clarified my last post which funnily enough you quoted.
Miyata- said:
Apr 23, 2014 8:04 PM
Mar 2014
Miyata- said:

Something interesting to note is that as you learn multiple languages, it becomes progressively easier to learn more through and through. This especially applies to Cantonese and Mandarin, and as I aspire to learn both, I've received many recommendations to learn Cantonese prior to learning Mandarin, as it gives a clearer understanding of both within the process, and in turn, make it easier to learn more Asian languages.

The way I see it, learning a language would be greatly self-suggestive if one holds a particular interest towards the culture, history, and demographics of a foreign countries.
Apr 23, 2014 8:06 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:
I believe you took some time out to go out of your way to answer my post even though I said I wouldn't go into it further, I atleast owe you a reply.

It is clear to me and anyone with some business sense that you have a major lack of knowledge when it comes to business. Which is completely fine as long as business isn't your profession that I assume.

And just to be clear I wasn't looking at this from a simple supply and demand level you basically clarified my last post which funnily enough you quoted.
Miyata- said:

No need to be so condescending. If you must know, I'm an IT major, and I make no claims to be a business expert. But please, if what I said is really as wrong as you claim it is, why don't you explain why, rather than just continuing to repeat yourself. I like to learn.
Apr 23, 2014 8:11 PM

Sep 2013
Miyata- said:

+ manga, novels, games, dramas, vomics, music...

Japan has the best entertainment in the world and only a fraction of it is translated into English.

sargos7 said:

You can actually make that work fairly well, as long as you stick to extremely proper grammar, spell everything perfectly, avoid all contractions, abbreviations, acronyms, slang, passive voice, idioms, metaphors, etc. and split everything into multiple simple sentences, rather than having one long complex one. A good way to tell if it's being translated correctly or not is to copy the output and translate that back, and see how much it changes it.

The best way of using gtl is to just let it translate single words and do the grammar yourself. Or just use a dictionary.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Apr 23, 2014 8:13 PM

Feb 2014
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:

Miyata- said:

No need to be so condescending. If you must know, I'm an IT major, and I make no claims to be a business expert. But please, if what I said is really as wrong as you claim it is, why don't you explain why, rather than just continuing to repeat yourself. I like to learn.

Unfortunately for you I am not here to teach. Try a part time business course if you are that interested to learn.
Apr 23, 2014 8:20 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:

Miyata- said:

Unfortunately for you I am not here to teach. Try a part time business course if you are that interested to learn.

Unfortunately for you, there's this thing called research... which I just did... way to use a quote from a random unknown blog post on yahoo voices, as if it's some sort of credible authoritative voice on the matter. All of a sudden, I'm taking you a lot less seriously.
Apr 23, 2014 8:29 PM

Jun 2010
Learning with a friend really helps. That way, you can practice speaking together.
Apr 23, 2014 8:31 PM

Feb 2014
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:

Miyata- said:

Unfortunately for you, there's this thing called research... which I just did... way to use a quote from a random unknown blog post on yahoo voices, as if it's some sort of credible authoritative voice on the matter. All of a sudden, I'm taking you a lot less seriously.

Its not a authoritative voice but is common sense to anyone who understands business. I just didn't want to type it all out myself and you really expected me to get my old books out to quote you?

You yourself kindly pointed out that you're a IT Major please just stick to your field, and leave the business talk to those who actually studied business.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

42 by zzz »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

20 by blueblur »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Yesterday

18 by traed »»
48 minutes ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

26 by Adnash »»
1 hour ago

» Why don't boys wear dresses until they start working?

vasipi4946 - Nov 22, 2023

24 by Bruh69XD »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.