Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 18, 2014 6:22 PM

Mar 2014
I'm pretty sure we all have at least heard of the Montagari series and how Shaft aimed for an abstract art style which led to a decent success. Whether you liked they style or not, it makes sense that they keep the it for the franchise. Now that Shaft has launched some new series/"IPs", do you think that Shaft truly is artistic or just trying to ride the coattails of the Montagari success and copy/paste its artstyle?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 18, 2014 6:23 PM
Oct 2010
Why are you blaming all of shaft? It's quite obvious it's only one director doing it.
Apr 18, 2014 6:27 PM

Oct 2012
I liked the way the Monogatari series looked, and I haven't seen any other series that uses its particular art style if there is any. So I guess I'd have to say abstract?

Apr 18, 2014 6:30 PM

Apr 2014
Abstract for sure
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Apr 18, 2014 6:31 PM

Sep 2011
skudoops said:
Why are you blaming all of shaft? It's quite obvious it's only one director doing it.

+1

cmon op, pls

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Apr 18, 2014 6:32 PM

Jul 2013
Artistically recycled gimmicks.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2014 6:33 PM

Jan 2013
Didn't shinbou do his style for hidamari? It's been long since I watched it but I'm pretty sure it had a lot of styling that monogatari used.
Apr 18, 2014 6:36 PM

Dec 2012
Lime_ said:
skudoops said:

+1

cmon op, pls

Pretty much, except it's the whole Shinbou team signature style.

Shinbou, Akiyuki had his own signature style before Bakemonogatari. And they are different from one series to another. I think he is one of the most talented modern directors anime have.
Apr 18, 2014 6:38 PM

Sep 2013
Well, its not Shaft's fault entirely. Akiyuki Shinbo is the one responsible. Coz ef does not look anything Shinbou does since he didn't direct it.

Too much Akiyuki Shinbou is bad for your health. Watch one of his series once every 3 months to prevent cancer.
This is a signature.
Apr 18, 2014 6:39 PM

Jun 2008
I'm seeing a lot of Shinobu around here....

Goddamn that Vampire loli is so fucking awesome.

OP, I don't care man....Shaft gave us the Monogatari series, they can do whatever the fuck they want as far as I'm concerned.
Apr 18, 2014 6:40 PM

Jan 2010
_ultima_ said:

Yeah. Shinbou recycles his stuff, but no one else, as far as I've seen, can really imitate his style.
Apr 18, 2014 6:44 PM

Jan 2013
Everyone recycles their stuff. The only reason Shinbou gets called out on it is because his shit is the most obvious, and he does the majority of Shaft's shit.

Nobody seems to find it lame that JC Staff makes a new "sort of" Harem show thats blatantly meant to imitate Toradora EVERY. SINGLE. SEASON.

Kyo-Ani makes the same moe shit every series.

The only studios that are wildly diverse in their adaptation are the ones with shit tons of money and personell like Toei and Madhouse.
Apr 18, 2014 6:46 PM

Sep 2013
Shocked said:
_ultima_ said:

Yeah. Shinbou recycles his stuff, but no one else, as far as I've seen, can really imitate his style.

The guy who directed Baka and Test came a close 2nd in my opinion.

After checking his bio, it made sense. He was Shinbo's assistant. LOL
This is a signature.
Apr 18, 2014 6:47 PM

Dec 2012
SolviteSekai said:
Everyone recycles their stuff. The only reason Shinbou gets called out on it is because his shit is the most obvious, and he does the majority of Shaft's shit.

Nobody seems to find it lame that JC Staff makes a new "sort of" Harem show thats blatantly meant to imitate Toradora EVERY. SINGLE. SEASON.

Kyo-Ani makes the same moe shit every series.

The only studios that are wildly diverse in their adaptation are the ones with shit tons of money and personell like Toei and Madhouse.

You actually made sense in the first paragraph. Then you followed up with stupid examples that don't make no sense to the point you are trying to make.

Yuasa, the Gibli guy and any other famous director with a signature style, recycle their stuff. Just like real life action directors (i.e Scorsese)
Apr 18, 2014 6:47 PM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
Lime_ said:
skudoops said:

+1

cmon op, pls

Pretty much, except it's the whole Shinbou team signature style.

Shinbou, Akiyuki had his own signature style before Bakemonogatari. And they are different from one series to another. I think he is one of the most talented modern directors anime have.

Yeah I love all these people saying Nisekoi is a Monogatari ripoff, when Shinbou has been doing this shit for a decade.

As I've said multiple times, Arukawa under the Bridge, Denpa Onna, Nisekoi, Mekkaku, Monogatari, Maria Holic, Hidamari Sketch and all that other shit are all Shinbou.

Not to mention a lot of the shows people are creaming their panties over (Sakura Trick, WIXOSS, Non Non Biyori, and Watamote) are made by Team Shinbou guys and are fucking stylistic ripoffs.
Apr 18, 2014 6:48 PM

Jan 2010
ran614 said:
Shocked said:
_ultima_ said:

I'm quite sure he worked with Shinbou on a few anime. I guess Shinbou's style rubbed off on him or something.
Apr 18, 2014 6:48 PM

Jan 2013
ran614 said:
Shocked said:
_ultima_ said:

Baka and Test is directed by http://myanimelist.net/people/6753/Oonuma_Shin.

He is an ex member of Team Shinbou and also directed Ef a Tale of Memories/Melodies for Shaft.

Herp Derp.
Apr 18, 2014 6:54 PM
Nov 2013
Good recycled gimmicks.
Apr 18, 2014 6:55 PM

Aug 2013
I think the artstyle is overrated. Kuuchuu Buranko's artstyle and Gankutsuou's artstyle are more artistic.
Apr 18, 2014 6:59 PM
Nov 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
I think the artstyle is overrated. Kuuchuu Buranko's artstyle and Gankutsuou's artstyle are more artistic.

Ok man, now everyone knows Kuuchuu Buranko is greatness. Every post of yours is about Kuuchuu Buranko, you can stop now. No need to carry that burden. I can set you free.
Apr 18, 2014 7:00 PM

Jan 2013
Shinbou's style isn't even an Artstyle. It's an animation style.

Fuck.

Nisekoi, Denpa onna, and Mekkaku City Actors all look exactly like their fucking source material.

Unless you mean the CGI look that Mekkaku Shares with Monogatari, but since its THE SAME FUCKING STUDIO thats going to happen.

Every show by Kyo-ani since K-on looks exactly the fucking same.

Apr 18, 2014 7:07 PM

Jul 2013
SolviteSekai said:

Fuck.

Nisekoi, Denpa onna, and Mekkaku City Actors all look exactly like their fucking source material.

Unless you mean the CGI look that Mekkaku Shares with Monogatari, but since its THE SAME FUCKING STUDIO thats going to happen.

kinda agree with most of what you've said in this topic but chill out dude. also, where have you seen people "creaming their panties" over wixoss? cuz most people on mal are really criticizing it but then mal doesn't really represent the general population of anime viewers.

only problem i have with shinobu's animation style is that it takes a toll on my eyes. can't handle marathoning any of this guy's shows
Apr 18, 2014 7:08 PM

Aug 2013
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Ok man, now everyone knows Kuuchuu Buranko is greatness. Every post of yours is about Kuuchuu Buranko, you can stop now. No need to carry that burden. I can set you free.
LOL I didn't realize I mention it that much.
Apr 18, 2014 7:11 PM

Jan 2013
orchidork said:
SolviteSekai said:

Fuck.

kinda agree with most of what you've said in this topic but chill out dude. also, where have you seen people "creaming their panties" over wixoss? cuz most people on mal are really criticizing it but then mal doesn't really represent the general population of anime viewers.

only problem i have with shinobu's animation style is that it takes a toll on my eyes. can't handle marathoning any of this guy's shows

I watch his shows repeatedly.

The man is a god damn Genius. This thread is an insult to greatness.

You fucks can all go watch your generic Soap Opera and Kung Fu anime all you want, I'll keep enjoying originality.

I'll never understand how a Director who makes anime that is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from all other anime is unoriginal because apparently he copies himself.

>.>
Apr 18, 2014 7:13 PM

Nov 2010
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Don't worry, in a couple of weeks he'll switch to a new show. It's happened many times before.
Apr 18, 2014 7:14 PM

Jan 2013
Not to mention, jackasses on here call Shinbou recycled gimmicks, but are all clammoring up to watch this years Urobuchi show.

OH SHIB Urobuchi IS MAKING A NEW ANIME, ITS GOING TO BE SO ORIGINAL.
Apr 18, 2014 7:15 PM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Don't worry, in a couple of weeks he'll switch to a new show. It's happened many times before.

Like?
Apr 18, 2014 7:16 PM

Aug 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Not really. Since I came here I have always been hyping Kuuchuu Buranko, Gankutsuou, Noein.
Apr 18, 2014 7:17 PM

Jan 2013
Shinbou is getting shit on like everything else that's popular.

Once Madoka and Monogatari started selling really well it was inevitable.

When Fate/Stay Night sells really well everyone will bash it too.

These are the ways of myanimelist.
Apr 18, 2014 7:21 PM

Sep 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
tsudecimo said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Like?

Probably another hipster anime people usually never hear about. :P

Maybe Kaiba or Kemononuzume is next. xD

What about Texhnocrap?
Apr 18, 2014 7:21 PM

Nov 2010
DrGeroCreation said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Not really. Since I came here I have always been hyping Kuuchuu Buranko, Gankutsuou, Noein.
Black Jack OVAs, Onegai Teacher, Ah My Goddess, the ones you mentioned, Perfect Blue, and Lain(possibly) that I can sorta remember(I don't pay too much attention) are the ones at different times you always seemed to bring up. Lately it's with the heroines of Onegai Teacher and Ah My goddess, comparing them in unrelated threads to moe cute characters. Mentioning over and over how Black Jack, etc are so underrated, etc.
Apr 18, 2014 7:22 PM

Aug 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
tsudecimo said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Like?

No I don't like the look of Kaiba's character designs. I never really had any intention of watching it. @IntroverTurtle I have never liked Lain. Also those are anime I have always liked.
DrGeroCreationApr 18, 2014 7:41 PM
Apr 18, 2014 7:23 PM

Mar 2014
I think I might have struck a nerve with somebody and made them butthurt. You might want to pull the shaft out of there.
Apr 18, 2014 7:26 PM

Dec 2012
mclovinballz said:
I think I might have struck a nerve with somebody and made them butthurt. You might want to pull the shaft out of there.

OOOOOHHHHHHH snap.
Apr 18, 2014 7:55 PM

Mar 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
DrGeroCreation said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Black Jack OVAs, Onegai Teacher, Ah My Goddess, the ones you mentioned, Perfect Blue, and Lain(possibly) that I can sorta remember(I don't pay too much attention) are the ones at different times you always seemed to bring up. Lately it's with the heroines of Onegai Teacher and Ah My goddess, comparing them in unrelated threads to moe cute characters. Mentioning over and over how Black Jack, etc are so underrated, etc.
What about Kaiji and YGO Season 0?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 18, 2014 8:26 PM

Jun 2012
Was this post made by Kaioshin_Sama?
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Apr 18, 2014 9:55 PM

Mar 2014
I've never seen the Monogatari series so im basing my thoughts of the Kingdom heart Love square and this New Vocaloid anime. the art styles are different in both so abstract.

I feel as though Nieskoi's art is more subdued than Actors. it's probably because they don't want you to miss the romance plot. very well done.
Apr 18, 2014 10:11 PM

Nov 2012
It's a cool style, but the only shows that the style added anything to were Monogatari and Madoka Magica.
Apr 18, 2014 10:47 PM

Apr 2012
SolviteSekai said:
Shinbou Is A god.

Also by this same definition Disney and Ghibli are recycled gimmicks.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Apr 18, 2014 10:54 PM

Sep 2013
Even if I like the animation, it's getting so repetitive. Shinbo needs to refresh himself up.

But without him, Madoka Magika would have been animated by KyoAni. And the witches will look like cutesy moe characters.
This is a signature.
Apr 19, 2014 12:50 AM

Mar 2014
ran614 said:
Even if I like the animation, it's getting so repetitive. Shinbo needs to refresh himself up.

But without him, Madoka Magika would have been animated by KyoAni. And the witches will look like cutesy moe characters.

>.> like all the Demons in Beyond the barrier?
Apr 19, 2014 12:59 AM

Apr 2013
JustALEX said:
I'm seeing a lot of Shinobu around here....

Goddamn that Vampire loli is so fucking awesome.

OP, I don't care man....Shaft gave us the Monogatari series, they can do whatever the fuck they want as far as I'm concerned.

I know right. I read it as Shinobu just like that one thread a week or two ago that had Shinbou in the thread title. I was confused as hell.
Apr 19, 2014 1:23 AM

Sep 2013
AzuStar said:
ran614 said:

Nah. I'm thinking girls like Sophia in this picture.

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/7/57457.jpg

Walpurgisnacht will be moe characters parading. LOL
This is a signature.
Apr 19, 2014 1:29 AM

Mar 2014
ran614 said:
AzuStar said:
ran614 said:

Nah. I'm thinking girls like Sophia in this picture.

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/7/57457.jpg

Walpurgisnacht will be moe characters parading. LOL

oh... yea they wouldn't be so forgotten quickly then :D
Apr 19, 2014 4:05 AM

Apr 2012
Litrydow said:
Zergneedsfood said:
tsudecimo said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Like?

What about Texhnocrap?

Aw you son of a , you did not just say that!
Apr 19, 2014 10:50 AM
Jul 2018
I would not call it artistic nor recycled. It usually looks beautifully surrealistic, which suits my tastes very well. If there was an anime,which's style I'd call artistic,it would be aforementioned Gankutsuou.
Apr 19, 2014 11:25 AM

Oct 2013
Directors often have a style of their own. Shinbo gets too much flack for doing what he does. I love his style and there are variances between the series he does.
Apr 19, 2014 11:32 AM

Sep 2013
Every time I see a *monogatari series I think the background artist is like 75% lazy as fuck. I think the characters look good and then sometimes everything looks good... To be honest the stupid text flashes and blank color screens annoy me more. I don't understand the praise for Gankutsuou... It looks like a lot of tripped-out photoshop fail to me (or rather a shortcut to do pattern fills). Other anime have done the same thing just not to that eye-bleeding extent.
There's no need for all this tension.
Apr 19, 2014 11:35 AM

Sep 2013
Its Shinbo's trademark artstyle. You cant really blame him.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Apr 19, 2014 11:47 AM

Oct 2013
mclovinballz said:
I'm pretty sure we all have at least heard of the Montagari series and how Shaft aimed for an abstract art style which led to a decent success. Whether you liked they style or not, it makes sense that they keep the it for the franchise. Now that Shaft has launched some new series/"IPs", do you think that Shaft truly is artistic or just trying to ride the coattails of the Montagari success and copy/paste its artstyle?
you are correct
Look at their most recent anime such as Nisekoi and Mekakucity actors
It was utter shit! Worse than the manga
People valuation were highly influence by their devotion to the success of Monogatari series that made them see it less objective
"Burn the heretics"
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What's the craziest plot twist you've ever come across in an anime?

Nanami0007 - 23 minutes ago

6 by LoveYourEyes »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Which group of people is more profitable for anime?

Sanjay63773 - 7 hours ago

11 by Lhundrup »»
5 minutes ago

» What is the greatest spoiler of all time in anime?

SgtBateMan - 5 hours ago

13 by Coaghim »»
11 minutes ago

» WTF is the point of sexualizing male characters? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Mar 30

76 by Lhundrup »»
25 minutes ago

» Check-in for the Spring 2024 season (for those watching a bunch of seasonals)

WatchTillTandava - 5 hours ago

17 by Nirinbo »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.