Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2014 7:38 AM

Aug 2013
Nicole said:
Not particularly? Besides as I stated, I simply don't believe carrying a weapon is going to make you safer. I was considering self-defense classes, but I've not sure of their value, I'm pretty small (around 158cm and around 46kg) so I don't think there is any chance of me being capable of fighting someone off, if something happened.
Tazers are rather effective at this, they don't require much physical ability to use

But a swift knee to the genitals is a sure KO, assuming they aren't wearing a cup or something...
Mogu-samaApr 12, 2014 7:41 AM
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Nov 2008
Nicole said:
Heredity said:
do you exercise regularly, or are you a daitly light-footed girl?

None.
well, good luck with getting away then.
Jan 2014
Nicole said:
cabacc2 said:
Nicole said:
Zetrin said:
You'd have to handicapped if you can't defend yourself with a knife
Try demonstrating it, have a friend rush at you while you have some sort of object in place of the knife

Not particularly? Besides as I stated, I simply don't believe carrying a weapon is going to make you safer. I was considering self-defense classes, but I've not sure of their value, I'm pretty small (around 158cm and around 46kg) so I don't think there is any chance of me being capable of fighting someone off, if something happened.
46kg? forget it.

Yea, I don't seem to gain weight at all.
eat some burgers.
BMI of ~18 is way too low. I have 22.
Apr 12, 2014 7:40 AM

Mar 2012
Heredity said:
Nicole said:
Heredity said:

None.

Well, I ask again, do you think carrying a weapon would seriously change something?
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Apr 12, 2014 7:40 AM
Jan 2014
Nicole said:
Heredity said:
Nicole said:
Heredity said:

None.

Well, I ask again, do you think carrying a weapon would seriously change something?
depends on the weapon.
Apr 12, 2014 7:45 AM

Jan 2014
A serious issue, but OP I have to admit I laughed pretty hard when I read your post.

gravityhappens said:
Maybe people should invest more time teaching men that rape is unacceptable rather than essentially telling the girls that if they do get raped it's their own fault for not following stupid precautions.
Rape is unacceptable. Just like murder it is a complete violation of someone's entire personhood, reducing them to merely an item of pleasure. Which is why I look at the Biblical penalty for it - death - and think to myself, "why aren't we punishing rapists with death?" I think child molesters are especially heinous, we should wipe them off the face of the earth as well.

Instead of rape whistles, BTW, they should be handing out rape tasers.
Apr 12, 2014 7:45 AM

Dec 2013
Nicole said:
Heredity said:
Nicole said:
Heredity said:

None.

I'd say it would help
Most people wouldn't try assaulting someone with a weapon, unless the rapist is willing to risk being injured, possibly even killed, just to get a victim.
Apr 12, 2014 7:46 AM
Nov 2008
Nicole said:
Heredity said:
Nicole said:
Heredity said:

None.

if you don't exercise, yes. you're concerned about him being twice your size? well, consider his strength and running speed.

you're effectively doing nothing to potentially protect yourself from a bad situation. i'm a weak, scrawny guy and who doesn't exercise much but i at least know that i can use some things i carry as a weapon (such as keys pocking out an eye or something). i've even taken tae-kwon-do before.

good luck to you, i would not ever recommend anyone follow your example.
Apr 12, 2014 7:46 AM

Jan 2013
Flashing a weapon would probably only escalate the situation even further.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Apr 12, 2014 7:47 AM
Nov 2008
geezdad said:
that's why you don't flash it? 'oi lookie here i gots me a knife to get you' is beyond stupid. pull it and stab, don't dilly dally.
Apr 12, 2014 7:49 AM

Jan 2014
Nicole said:
It's always amusing when these situations happen, that authorities seem to think that the way to stop rape is to make women change their behavior.

Anyway, if men were banned from alcohol, most rape cases would dramatically decrease.
I'm sure that would likely be the case.
Apr 12, 2014 7:50 AM

Mar 2012
Heredity said:
geezdad said:
that's why you don't flash it? 'oi lookie here i gots me a knife to get you' is beyond stupid. pull it and stab, don't dilly dally.

That's how accidents happen, that's how someone kills someone by mistaken, because they were paranoid and someone bumped into them and they panicked.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Apr 12, 2014 7:51 AM

Jan 2013
Heredity said:
geezdad said:
I'm pretty sure not everyone is capable of instantly stabbing someone. I suspect that the weapon would mostly be used (at first) as a form of scare tactic against the aggressor. Especially in situations where the victims are scared out of their wits.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Apr 12, 2014 7:53 AM

Jan 2013
Nicole...reading most of your posts, you are a timid, naive girl.

Please stay away from most major cities and party area's. Unless you are very ugly because both of those factors coupled with your idealism in regards to defense makes you a prime target.
Apr 12, 2014 7:55 AM

Mar 2012
RedArmyShogun said:

Please stay away from most major cities and party area's. Unless you are very ugly because both of those factors coupled with your idealism in regards to defense makes you a prime target.

I'm actually not timid at all, nor am I naive. There is plenty of evidence that shows carrying weapons do not make you safer, they quite often make things worse.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Apr 12, 2014 7:56 AM

Sep 2011
Instead of looking for a weapon, find a man who will protect you.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network

Jan 2014
RedArmyShogun said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:
ReaperCreeper said:
How about they carry a taser instead or pepper spray?

How about a strap on and some combat training, turn it against them I doubt they would try it if they thought they could get sexually assaulted like that back.

As to tasers, some people are trained to resist them, have a natural endurace to them, and you have to get close to use it. Which is a danger, a better means to use it is as a clicker, pull it out let it sparkle. And hope you don't have to use it. As in the time it takes you to bring it up, you might have a elbow in the face. In general cattle prods an stun sticks are more pratical, but you can't hide those really. In general tasers are useless crap only good for lighting up college students.

As to pepper spray. If the attacker is Military, Police, or mutliple sentenced convict, or a person with odd fetishes, Pepper spray and tear gas are useless, as in the former cases repeated expousre builds immunity.
Yeah, good points on tasers and pepper spray. Police here in this state are required to get pepper sprayed, don't know if it's a regular thing or just once or twice so they "understand how it feels." Anyways one guy I know says it's not bad at all. And with a taser you only get one shot, it's too slow to load another cartridge under most circumstances.

So carrying a nice little .380 or doing the "stick and twist" with a switchblade, or butterfly knife or other one handed opener are the best choices for a woman, but unfortunately all those options are usually illegal.
Nov 2008
Jackrabb1t said:
Nicole said:
It's always amusing when these situations happen, that authorities seem to think that the way to stop rape is to make women change their behavior.

Anyway, if men were banned from alcohol, most rape cases would dramatically decrease.
I'm sure that would likely be the case.
it wouldn't.

Nicole said:
That's how accidents happen, that's how someone kills someone by mistaken, because they were paranoid and someone bumped into them and they panicked.
assess the situation before you pull the knife. you're assuming carrying a weapon makes you paranoid. i could easily use my fists if i were that paranoid.

geezdad said:
I'm pretty sure not everyone is capable of instantly stabbing someone. I suspect that the weapon would mostly be used (at first) as a form of scare tactic against the aggressor. Especially in situations where the victims are scared out of their wits.
and that's why you prepare yourself. preparing yourself is not a crime against yourself, there's probably even classes out there for defending yourself with a knife.
Apr 12, 2014 7:57 AM

Jan 2013
BryanBossling said:
Or just be the rapist, not the rape victim.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Apr 12, 2014 7:57 AM

Nov 2011
geezdad said:

Pretty much. Not everyone is a spess muhreen. This is especially true in rapes where they're acquaintances. He can easily get closed to you, or put you in a disadvantageous situation without putting you on edge until its too late.
The Art of Eight
Apr 12, 2014 7:58 AM

Mar 2012
Heredity said:
assess the situation before you pull the knife. you're assuming carrying a weapon makes you paranoid. i could easily use my fists if i were that paranoid.

Things are too black and white in your world.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Apr 12, 2014 7:59 AM
Nov 2008
dankickyou said:
geezdad said:

Pretty much. Not everyone is a spess muhreen. This is especially true in rapes where they're acquaintances. He can easily get closed to you, or put you in a disadvantageous situation without putting you on edge until its too late.
this thread is basically filled with 'but what if' situations that see to completely disarm yourself from being able to try and defend yourself. that's what i'm getting here. any excuse to not try.

Nicole said:
Things are too black and white in your world.
i can't see how my statement gets you to that conclusion. i don't think carrying a weapon will automatically make you paranoid, being paranoid makes you paranoid. when you're paranoid you're probably going to do things like hitting someone when spooked regardless of having a weapon or not.
Apr 12, 2014 8:01 AM

Mar 2012
Heredity said:
this thread is basically filled with 'but what if' situations that see to completely disarm yourself from being able to try and defend yourself. that's what i'm getting here. any excuse to not try.

I don't know if this is a surprise to you, but most people are not really willing to do serious damage/potentially kill someone that easily...
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Apr 12, 2014 8:03 AM

Nov 2011
Heredity said:

That can be quite difficult for the average happy go lucky young woman in a first world country. :v

Heredity said:
and that's why you prepare yourself. preparing yourself is not a crime against yourself, there's probably even classes out there for defending yourself with a knife.

A lot of women's self defense stuff available is....kinda crap and just instill you with a false sense of confidence. Especially when said women is blur on the MA scene with pop culture being an influence.
The Art of Eight
Apr 12, 2014 8:04 AM

Sep 2010
BryanBossling said:
can't have a man with you 24/7
Apr 12, 2014 8:04 AM
Nov 2008
Nicole said:
Heredity said:

I don't know if this is a surprise to you, but most people are not really willing to do serious damage/potentially kill someone that easily...
so you'd rather be raped? because that's what i'm getting from you here. you:

- won't carry a weapon
- won't take a self defense class
- don't exercise in any way

and yet you'll 'try to get away?' that's not a solution, you're not prepared in any way. i'm sure everyone else here has at least thought of or done something to protect themselves from a dangerous situation. they've probably thought 'what would i do if i were in danger?' but you've seemingly never done this: get 'educate men' and move on.

dankickyou said:
A lot of women's self defense stuff available is....kinda crap and just instill you with a false sense of confidence. Especially when said women is blur on the MA scene with pop culture being an influence.
imo confidence is a better weapon than no confidence, especially if it's a 'rape or not be raped' situation.
Apr 12, 2014 8:05 AM

Dec 2013
Nicole said:
Heredity said:

If you're unwilling to defend yourself from being raped, that's your fault
Apr 12, 2014 8:06 AM

Nov 2011
Heredity said:

True, its best to be prepared for such things.
The Art of Eight
Apr 12, 2014 8:07 AM

Sep 2011
animeoppai said:
BryanBossling said:
You don't need to.

Apr 12, 2014 8:12 AM

Nov 2011
Zetrin said:
Nicole said:
Heredity said:

No. Its always the rapist fault. Always.
The Art of Eight
Apr 12, 2014 8:14 AM
Nov 2008
dankickyou said:
Zetrin said:
Nicole said:
Heredity said:

rape is always the rapist's fault, yes.

you can at least try to stop yourself from being raped.
Apr 12, 2014 8:16 AM

Dec 2013
dankickyou said:
Zetrin said:

If you're unwilling to defend yourself, is it rape?
Apr 12, 2014 8:17 AM

Jan 2013
Nicole said:
RedArmyShogun said:

I'm actually not timid at all, nor am I naive. There is plenty of evidence that shows carrying weapons do not make you safer, they quite often make things worse.

If I gave you a lighter I bet you would go "no I don't need this fire is ganderous."

@Rabbit. Varries from what I gather, but its more "So if you get sprayed with your own shit you can beat the hell out of them" than to see how it feels.

Non-Lethal is generally useless minus on soft skinned protestors as history has shown.

Bryan up above has something of a good idea. Albit not just in that, there is always safety in numbers. The lone Sentry is a dead sentry.

The key to any sort of danger however is simple. Avoidance and prevention. The duty of preventing crimes falls on both parties. It is wrong to steal, but if you leave a bar of gold on the window ledge, don't be surprised if I knock you in the head with a shovel and ransack your home. Even the super rich for the most part live modestly on the outside. Or act to conceal ones wealth.

As to weapons and reaction worries, that is what training and fortitude is for.
Apr 12, 2014 8:21 AM
Apr 2013
Nicole said:
worldeditor11 said:
Umm. What? Are you serious?

Yes.

Nicole said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:
Thats common sense, we teach children the same things because it IS dangerous out there for everyone.
You can be mugged, raped, kidnapped, stabbed and thats any gender. The worlds a harsh place we can't expect it to become nice and soft, its easier to protect yourself than expect the world to change over night.

Why? I happen to like talking to people that I don't know (how else do you meet people?) and I like going out. Can't say I care much for walking home a lone, but I'm sure there are people who like taking walks on their own, for whatever reason.

None of that is 'dangerous' behavior.

Okay. I will respond to your post but mind you, my line of thinking is similar to Kibura and Heredity and most of us here minus the obvious sarcasm.

First off, yes. All of the acts that you had posted are not regarded as "dangerous" in a general sense. Same goes for people who like to stay in their home, people who like to go for a jog at their local park, people who like to hang out at nightclubs, etc. All of these are non-dangerous activities, am i right? Let say, in a hypothetical event that something happen to these people(example: robbery, mugging, rape) for doing what they like to do and do nearly nothing to prevent/prepare for it. Now, i ask any of you here, what is your honest opinion regarding this event? Do you blame the criminals(aka mugger/robber/rapist/etc.) or do you criticise the victims for not preparing anything in case an event that may harm them. Or maybe both?

Mind you, this hypothetical event happen every single day throughout the whole world. Hell, my aunt just been robbed last week, smashed the car windows and took all of her belongings away. This happened while my aunt with her family was away in a restaurant at that time.

Education and the enforcement of law can only do so much in preventing crimes. As Kibura already said earlier, the world is a harsh place to live in. Everybody has their own circumstances just like you, Nicole have your own. No matter what you do, there will be crimes that will bring harm to the people especially when we are living in this time and age. There will be rapes. There will be robberies. There will be murders. This is an unwritten rule. I am pretty sure most of us here already knew that as a fact.

So, what will you do in case it actually happen to you? What will you do to prevent it? Was the countermeasure you thought up earlier effective in combating the problem? What is the worst case scenario in this event? Is there a viable solution? You were a victim of rape, what will do in case a similar event happen in the near future? Run? How far will your legs bring you? Is running a practical and effective solution in the event of rape? Just let it be? Don't know, don't care? Think only when it actually happen to you personally and deal with it then?

All of those listed you must take account for in the event it actually happen to you. Opening your front gates wide open is essentially asking to be break-in. Of course, closing the gates may not prevent the crime from happening but it does work wonders to ward off criminals trying to breaking in to your home. Just like having a partner walking with you will make the mugger/rapist think twice before he/she want to carry out the crime even more particularly when the mugger/rapist is alone. Preparing for the unexpected can come a long way in preserving your general well-being.

See, even simple methods like not walking alone can do so much in preventing a crime like rape. This doesn't even require you to carry a weapon since you dislike it so much. Closing your eyes on the truth and avert your gaze elsewhere won't solve the problem. Worse, you are being part of the problem by choosing to ignore it and shoving all of the responsibility towards the offender. You have nothing blame other than yourself for your own shortcomings. What you are doing here is similar to those people who blame their parents for not educating them properly when not successful in life. You can point fingers at all direction other than yourself but to what end? People who are not willing to help themselves don't deserved to be help by others. If everything let it be then so be it. If you yourself are not willing to put an effort on solving the problem not even an ounce, i fail to see why other people must go out of their way and do the problem-solving for you.

From what i am able to perceived here from your responses, you chose to delude yourself and console your own by keep telling yourself that it is not your fault on why it happen. No. It's the rapist fault you say. It is all due to the rapist. Not you or any female human in the world deserve to be blamed for being raped. You chose to do nothing and you will be rewarded as such. You want to do this, you want to do that and expect everyone in the world to bow to your whims.

The same goes for your method of barring men from drinking alcohol to prevent rape but okay, let say it actually works. The number of cases of rape involving woman have dropped drastically when this method had been implemented. What about robberies? What about assaults? What about murders? All of these acts are pretty much non-gender specific but whats next? Abolish all production of physical objects that can be use as weapons? Bar everyone from possessing physical objects that may bring harm to another human being like knives, forks, pens, pencils, etc.? Remove the source of the problem and voila, problem solved. Yes, it is a solution but not a good one. All of these may seem extreme but i am just giving you a few examples on how ridiculous your method sounds.

Don't get me wrong though. I am not asking you to stop what you like to do but rather prevent and prepare for events that may bring harm to your well-being. You may need to sacrifice a bit for the extra security though. But, do what you will. You are free to do what you want to do as you have no obligation to carry out what i say here. At least give the content of my post and others what they trying to say here a thought.
worldeditor11Apr 12, 2014 7:43 PM
Apr 12, 2014 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
Zetrin said:
dankickyou said:
Zetrin said:

If you're unwilling to defend yourself, is it rape?

you mean if youre too scared to defend yourself? yes its rape. if youve been over powered? yes its rape. if i dont defend myself and you shoot me, is it murder? If I dont stop your home invasion and your rob me, is it theft?
The Art of Eight
Apr 12, 2014 8:34 AM

Dec 2013
dankickyou said:

you mean if youre too scared to defend yourself? yes its rape. if youve been over powered? yes its rape. if i dont defend myself and you shoot me, is it murder? If I dont stop your home invasion and your rob me, is it theft?

I might've been off on this one. Nicole is saying she's not really willing to harm someone if she's being assaulted. What I'm trying to say is if you don't put up the effort to defend yourself, you can only blame yourself for not stopping it, or at least trying to. The rapist is obviously at fault and the core of the problem, but if you don't fight, who will?
Being too scared and being overpowered is different to being unwilling to defend yourself because you don't want to harm the assaulter
Apr 12, 2014 8:39 AM
Jan 2014
Zetrin said:
dankickyou said:

I might've been off on this one. Nicole is saying she's not really willing to harm someone if she's being assaulted. What I'm trying to say is if you don't put up the effort to defend yourself, you can only blame yourself for not stopping it, or at least trying to. The rapist is obviously at fault and the core of the problem, but if you don't fight, who will?
Being too scared and being overpowered is different to being unwilling to defend yourself because you don't want to harm the assaulter

In some cases it might be contraproductive to defend yourself.
Apr 12, 2014 8:43 AM

Nov 2008
rape whistles are as effective as an anti-crime buzzer as in useless.

Get yourself a baton, some mace, stun gun, or knives (maybe 2 or 3).

Apr 12, 2014 8:47 AM

Sep 2011
cabacc2 said:
Only if you're terrible at it.

Apr 12, 2014 8:48 AM
Jan 2014
BryanBossling said:
cabacc2 said:
Only if you're terrible at it.
which is the case for the vast majority of women that weigh less than 50kg.
Apr 12, 2014 9:11 AM

Mar 2011
BryanBossling said:
animeoppai said:
BryanBossling said:
You don't need to.

I find this suggestion oddly ironic, it's basically saying ''to protect yourself from man, get a man of your own''.
Apr 12, 2014 10:14 AM

Jan 2013
Infinite said:
BryanBossling said:
animeoppai said:
BryanBossling said:
You don't need to.

I find this suggestion oddly ironic, it's basically saying ''to protect yourself from man, get a man of your own''.

Just like Nuclear weapons.
Apr 12, 2014 10:25 AM

Jan 2011
IAM A NUCLEAR WEAPON!
Apr 12, 2014 10:29 AM

Jan 2013
Pft You are just a Fatman next to the Tsar Bomba.
Apr 12, 2014 10:31 AM

Jun 2013
sedmelluq said:
gravityhappens said:
Maybe people should invest more time teaching men that rape is unacceptable rather than essentially telling the girls that if they do get raped it's their own fault for not following stupid precautions.

I don't see how you can teach monsters though. They're sociopaths, it's not like they consider rape to be acceptable, they just don't care.

This. People who rape clearly have a sick sense of morals and have very little empathy and trying to teach them the error of their ways.
Also, I love how the whistles are only given to the females. Because no men are raped, ever. *sarcasm. I know men are not as easily physically overpowered but men in general are almost completely ignored when it comes to rape victims.
Apr 12, 2014 10:32 AM

Sep 2012
I wish my university made "anti-crime buttons" for white people to use agains black people who commit crimes on campus. Also, why teach a white person to be wary of criminals when we can just teach black people not to commit crimes?

That would end all crime.
Apr 12, 2014 10:36 AM

Dec 2013
Red_Keys said:
I wish my university made "anti-crime buttons" for white people to use agains black people who commit crimes on campus. Also, why teach a white person to be wary of criminals when we can just teach black people not to commit crimes?

What do these anti-crime buttons do? We need all the information we can get to suppress black people
Apr 12, 2014 11:06 AM

Jan 2013
Zetrin said:
Red_Keys said:

What do these anti-crime buttons do? We need all the information we can get to suppress black people

It summons a pick-up truck with rebel flags thats huanted with ghosts.
Apr 12, 2014 11:09 AM

Nov 2008
Anti-crime buttons are useless.

Apr 12, 2014 11:19 AM

Jan 2011
Sounds like a pop rock band or something.
Coooooming up next! THE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE WHISTLERS
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

44 by Vampire_Lord »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

25 by deg »»
48 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

30 by deg »»
1 hour ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

32 by Spunkert »»
1 hour ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

12 by LoveLikeBlood »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.