Forum Settings
Forums

Heartbleed bug affects 80% main sites with https, ready to change your main password

New
Apr 9, 2014 7:35 PM
Apr 2013

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/09/technology/security/heartbleed-bug/

What is it?

It's called the Heartbleed bug, and it is essentially an information leak.

It starts with a hole in the software that the vast majority of websites on the Internet use to turn your personal information into strings of random numbers and letters. If you see a padlock image in the address bar, there's a good chance that site is using the encryption software that was impacted by the Heartbleed bug.

"It's probably the worst bug the Internet has ever seen," said Matthew Prince, CEO of website-protecting service CloudFlare. "If a week from now we hear criminals spoofed a massive number of accounts at financial institutions, it won't surprise me."

What does it do?

For more than two years now, Heartbleed has allowed outsiders to peek into the personal information that was supposed to be protected from snoopers.

The bug allows potential hackers to take advantage of a feature that computers use to see if they're still online, known as a "heartbeat extension." But a malicious heartbeat signal could force a computer to divulge secret information stored in its memory.

At the very least, Heartbleed exposes your usernames and passwords. It also compromises the session keys that keep you logged into a website, allowing an outsider to pose as you -- no passwords required. And it allows attackers to pose as a real website and dupe you into giving up your personal details.

Making matters worse, the Heartbleed bug leaves no traces -- you may never know when or if you've been hacked.

"You could watch traffic go back and forth," said Wayne Jackson III, CEO of open source software company Sonatype. "This is a big deal. When you think about the consequences of having visibility into Amazon and Yahoo, that's pretty scary."

Who does this affect?

Most major websites are targets, because they rely on this program. A survey conducted by W3Techs show that 81% of sites run on web server programs Apache and Nginx, and both are vulnerable to the Heartbleed bug.

Many popular sites, including Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500), Google (GOOG, Fortune 500), Yahoo (YHOO, Fortune 500) and OKCupid, use those encryption tools. Those four sites have updated their websites with a fix for the bug, but many others have not patched their sites yet.

What can I do?

Log out of all websites: email, social media, banking -- everything. But beyond that, it's a waiting game. The websites themselves need to update to a new version of the encryption software to fix the bug. That's why changing all your passwords right away isn't a good idea. Websites are all racing to fix the issue, and if you act too quickly, you might change your password on a site that is still vulnerable.

Italian cryptographer Filippo Valsorda launched the "Heartbleed Test," which purports to tell you if websites are still compromised.

Passomatic, a startup that lets you change several passwords at once, said all its partners have made the fix. Among them are eBay (EBAY, Fortune 500), Expedia (EXPE), Facebook (FB, Fortune 500), Hulu, Instagram, Netflix (NFLX), Reddit, Wikipedia and Yelp (YELP).

How quickly will this be fixed?

Undoing the damage that has potentially already been done won't be easy. Websites are patching the hole, but the job won't be complete until all websites purge all the old keys they've been using to encrypt data.

That means hackers and and potential government spies who were secretly aware of this flaw would have ogotten access to special keys they can use repeatedly until a website revokes them. And there's where it gets complicated. CloudFlare's Prince said the encryption system was never meant to dispose lots of keys at once.

"There will be servers that still have this for years," he said. To top of page

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 9, 2014 7:42 PM

Jun 2007
The 80% thing is totally inaccurate. Almost no sites use SSL to begin with - only a very small fraction, let alone OpenSSL which is used by probably less than 5% of the internet and is the only thing this applies to.

It's just another case of the media trying to scare people who don't know any better.

If you actually listen to this shit every time you end up changing your password everywhere every 3 days.
Apr 10, 2014 7:13 AM
Jun 2010
TallonKarrde23 said:
The 80% thing is totally inaccurate. Almost no sites use SSL to begin with - only a very small fraction, let alone OpenSSL which is used by probably less than 5% of the internet and is the only thing this applies to.

It's just another case of the media trying to scare people who don't know any better.

If you actually listen to this shit every time you end up changing your password everywhere every 3 days.

Source on that 5%? Well by the way you wrote it you are just making guesses. What matters is that whether or not the services that you use were compromised and that people should be taking actions to ensure their own safety.

Valve accounts were compromised so I've already taken action to protect my self. Anyone running Linux or have openssl installed on their windows based machines.
Apr 10, 2014 7:23 AM

Dec 2011
I work for a bank, and I can tell that we are not vulnerable to this at all. I would imagine, very few businesses use openSSL for anything of import. Sure it does hit some fringe things, but it isn't nearly as scary as all that.
text27 said:
yes if you read the whole thing...robots will only kill the people you put in-front of them so yeah.

RandomChampion said:
u were that homie in the thong werent u
Apr 10, 2014 7:32 AM

Jun 2009
Just looking at the title I totally expected this to be one of those spam/advertising bots we regularly see here...
Apr 10, 2014 8:08 AM

Dec 2013
So basically there is a memory leak in the encryption? Find it plug it up, not that hard to do(Well you may have to sift through millions of lines of code, but whatever jUnit/CppUnit that shit). If they were smart enough to code it in the first place, they can probably introduce a patch that fixes it. All I really see here is a bunch of fear mongering for people who don't know how to write code and don't know much about computers.
I am on the edge ! The edge of the edgiest edge ever edged by edgekind !
я умерте ужасну депрессии...

Apr 10, 2014 8:15 AM

Sep 2008
Affected sites included Yahoo, Imgur, YouTube and SteamDB.

My question is...what about MAL?
Hyouka and real-life Takayama comparison blog: Completed 31/10/2015
http://hyoukaorigination.blogspot.com/

Aria the Animation and real-life Venice comparision blog:
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Apr 10, 2014 9:11 AM

Feb 2013
X10A_Freedom said:
MAL is not affected.

Google was also involved in the discovery of the bug, so Youtube has already been fixed.
Apr 10, 2014 11:21 AM

Jan 2013
Let's get serious.

Do I need to change my Brazzers account?
Apr 10, 2014 1:12 PM
Apr 2008
Ntad said:
X10A_Freedom said:
MAL is not affected.

Google was also involved in the discovery of the bug, so Youtube has already been fixed.

I came on MAL to see if MAL admins acknowledged whether or not it was affected and if a patch has since been released. Master list of affected sites says it is :(

https://github.com/musalbas/heartbleed-masstest/blob/master/top10000.txt

2911 Testing myanimelist.net... vulnerable.

Great, did I screw something up by coming here automatically logged in? Can I not log out now?
Apr 10, 2014 9:08 PM

Dec 2011
http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/10/the-heartbleed-bug-is-affecting-routers-too/

oh geez. It also affect select brands of routers (Cisco and Juniper). This is prolly one of the most extensive bugs ever in history.
Apr 10, 2014 9:11 PM

Jan 2009
TheOtherJN said:
Ntad said:
X10A_Freedom said:
MAL is not affected.

I came on MAL to see if MAL admins acknowledged whether or not it was affected and if a patch has since been released. Master list of affected sites says it is :(

https://github.com/musalbas/heartbleed-masstest/blob/master/top10000.txt

2911 Testing myanimelist.net... vulnerable.

Great, did I screw something up by coming here automatically logged in? Can I not log out now?

i bet MAL will not care unless hacking of their website starts, but as for me im not worried of being hack since i got nothing important here on MAL, but lol MAL is vulnerable
Apr 11, 2014 2:28 AM
Apr 2008
j0x said:
i bet MAL will not care unless hacking of their website starts, but as for me im not worried of being hack since i got nothing important here on MAL, but lol MAL is vulnerable

The idea is that from this one leak, the same combination of username/password/e-mail address could be used to log into sites with more sensitive. From MAL they get access to your e-mail e-mail address and from there, contact lists, financial information, etc.
Apr 11, 2014 2:36 AM

Jun 2007
MAL does not use OpenSSL, so no, they can get nothing out of MAL from this heartbleed thing. Plenty of other things as MAL is far from secure, but not this specific thing the thread is about.
Apr 11, 2014 2:39 AM
Apr 2008
Honestly has there been reports of websites emails and passwords getting leak due to this heartbleed?

Anyway its always the rule of thumb to use different password for different websites I know its tedious but its a start
Apr 12, 2014 5:11 PM

Mar 2013
Deathnosis said:
Anyway its always the rule of thumb to use different password for different websites I know its tedious but its a start

Tedious lol? LastPass would like to have a word with you.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Apr 12, 2014 5:41 PM

Jun 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:

Almost no sites? Let's see - all proper search engines, all e-mail providers, all business services, all services that deal with payments, need I go on? Only sites that deal exclusively with entertainment and have no paid services (such as MAL), amateur sites or sites where the user doesn't enter any data don't use SSL. Also, OpenSSL is by far the most popular SSL implementation, quote from somewhere: "Lifehacker, who published a great, plain-language guide to the flaw earlier today, notes that about 66 percent of the web probably uses OpenSSL to encrypt data.".
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Apr 12, 2014 11:12 PM
Jul 2018

So.. Am I supposed to freak out right now?

I mean I changed all my passwords. This is a little strange.
Apr 12, 2014 11:14 PM
Nov 2008
if something does happen i'm fucked even if i do change all my passwords.
Apr 12, 2014 11:20 PM
Jul 2018
SolviteSekai said:
Let's get serious.

Do I need to change my Brazzers account?

You should to be safe. Don't want to lose that Brazzers account!

Thankfully, most of my more serious passwords are protected by my phone verification. Good luck taking my account without my phone.
Apr 14, 2014 10:55 PM

May 2013
heartbleed.com - A whole website just to explain what this bug is!
Apr 15, 2014 2:06 AM
Apr 2008
nucleon said:

Seems to have at least one now,
people's social security number stolen,
and hacking tools can be bought online:

Canada's tax-collection agency on Monday said the private information of about 900 people had been compromised as hackers exploited the "Heartbleed" bug, and security experts warned that more attacks are likely to follow.

Full Story:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/04/14/us-canada-tax-heartbleed-idUKBREA3D0XZ20140414

I read it and its looks like first blood for heartbleed.

Anyway a list of websites affected are up on mashable anyone reading this might wanna take a look
http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heartbleed-bug-websites-affected/

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.