Forum Settings
Forums

Do You Hate Dubs Collectively or Just The Bad Ones?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 8, 2014 12:34 PM

Jul 2012
people make a big deal out of this, but i'd say overrall i dislike dubs b/c they confuse me

yes, confuse me. after this many years of watching subs my eyes don't know where to go lol
Apr 8, 2014 12:35 PM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
I'll never understand the dub hate. Sure a lot are bad and most are inferior to the original voices but I'm pretty sure most everyone would prefer to understand what's being said more than they enjoy reading subs. Hell I don't mean to be racist but a good amount of Japanese voices sound the sane to me (most likely since I can't understand what they're saying)
Answered your own question there. And obviously not, at least on this site people prefer to read subs than to listen to bad or worse voices(your words).
And I don't mean to be racist, but a lot of American dub voices sound the same to me.

:/
Apr 8, 2014 12:41 PM

Jul 2007
Only bad ones. Nowadays mos tof dubs are of a good quality and some shows are better watched dubbed for immersion into setting (Bebop, Baccano!, FMA:B, for example)

In some times it even fixes some dialogue problems(certain sexist lines in FMA:B are replaced with far more fitting ones)

Bad dubs are bad, but dubs overall depend on situation and quality.
Apr 8, 2014 12:50 PM

Aug 2012
The people who do apparently stand by some bullshit principle that dubs are inherently inferior simply by not being the original (or not Japanese). That's probably not why they hate dubs collectively but it sure looks like it from where I'm standing.

I only hate the bad ones, of course. You hardly find bad dubs nowadays anyway, so it's getting more and more apparent that people who hate dubs collectively or have a kneejerk reaction to post a copypasta "ugh, a dub" on YouTube are just trolling to get attention.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 8, 2014 12:59 PM

Sep 2011
NarTaco said:
I give dubs a chance but I usually end up disappointed.

Also I generally don't watch dubs simplay because I watch shit as it's currently airing - so there's no dubs available

If it's something that's been completed for ages, I'll give the dubs a shot while switching between the two (ENG/JAP) and usually stick with subtitles x.x;

edit:
Gwynade said:
Tumblr does joke around most of the time >n<

Gwynade said:
Tumblr does

Gwynade said:
Tumblr

Highlighted your problem
kissApr 8, 2014 1:02 PM

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Apr 8, 2014 1:24 PM

Nov 2013
I'm not a fan of English dubs, since I'm not familiar enough with the language and sometimes I miss a line or two, especially when the characters have strong accents (Baccano or the black guy from Bebop).
However, if I get the rare chance to watch an anime in Italian (I'm italian, btw), I'll do it, even if it means shitty voice acting + terrible video/sound quality.
Most of the time, a terrible dub is still better than subtitles, and otaku really go overboard with this dub/sub war.
Apr 8, 2014 1:53 PM

May 2010
as i said in many threads, when i download for my collection/portable hdd i go for 1080p BD rips with dual audio. why? cause when i watch anime on my tv i can live with no so good dubs if i dont have to read subs and just wanna relax and enjoy the anime.
Apr 8, 2014 1:56 PM

Feb 2013
im not a native english speaker and subs are easier for me

i cant really say i "hate" dubs, but i always avoid them
Apr 8, 2014 1:56 PM

Sep 2012
I generally dislike dubs but I absolutely adore a good dub.

I.E. Hotd, baccano, fma:b, fmp, black lagoon.

I'm sure a forgot a few but whatever.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 8, 2014 2:05 PM
Aug 2012
I don't have anything against dubs, I just prefer subs. Plus all Funimation dubs sound about the same to me. I guess I have something against them, at least.
Apr 8, 2014 2:54 PM

Mar 2014
I want more dubbs of anime i wanna watch

all the Japanese voice actors sound like

a) they can be placed in 7-10 different categories of voices

b)REALLY weird.

But i do like subbs because... well i don't actually understand exactly what is coming out of their mouths so it just sounds like a collection of awesome sounding noises (Like how they pronounce their character symbols)
Apr 8, 2014 2:59 PM

Jan 2013
Gwynade said:
I don't think some dubs are for me..
Maybe because I want to try and learn/listen to Japanese to enhance my Japanese speaking skills? And sometimes the dub comes out later than the subs or never will and I'm really impatient u_u
And because I watch subs, I've recognized the seiyuus which is pretty cool. I sit there for a good 5 minutes when someone speaks and I have this look in my eyes, have my moment, then blurt out something like "OMG THATS IT. ITS KAMIYA HIROSHI" and is2g it's the most satisfying feeling ever.

I also heard that the shingeki no kyojin dub is awesome, though I haven't seen or heard it yet. Tumblr does joke around most of the time >n<

But yeah imo subs > dubs ^^

Get off tumblr man. That shit's for fat women.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Apr 8, 2014 2:59 PM

Mar 2013
MajinSaga said:
Gwynade said:
I don't think some dubs are for me..
Maybe because I want to try and learn/listen to Japanese to enhance my Japanese speaking skills? And sometimes the dub comes out later than the subs or never will and I'm really impatient u_u
And because I watch subs, I've recognized the seiyuus which is pretty cool. I sit there for a good 5 minutes when someone speaks and I have this look in my eyes, have my moment, then blurt out something like "OMG THATS IT. ITS KAMIYA HIROSHI" and is2g it's the most satisfying feeling ever.

I also heard that the shingeki no kyojin dub is awesome, though I haven't seen or heard it yet. Tumblr does joke around most of the time >n<

But yeah imo subs > dubs ^^

Get off tumblr man. That shit's for fat women.
yep the tumbler feminist community has proven that
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Apr 8, 2014 3:01 PM

Apr 2014
I don't hate dubs, but the bad ones i prefer to stay away from.
“I’m addicted to your allure and I’m fiending for a cure.”
― Christina Aguilera
Apr 8, 2014 3:02 PM
Jul 2013
I watch more dubs than subs lately.

Problem?
Apr 8, 2014 3:03 PM
Aug 2013
I've never heard a good dub yet, so I hate them all. People like Space Dandy's dub, but I think it's garbage.
Apr 8, 2014 3:03 PM

Dec 2013
dubs are collectively shit
maybe if they had morgan freeman voice act, it would be less shit
i want to kill myself each time Naruto says I want to be Hokage in English. It's like watching weebs roleplay.
Combating against hoax MAL accounts and intentional down voting of objectively great anime. Pls join
Apr 8, 2014 3:07 PM

Mar 2013
portgas123 said:
I've never heard a good dub yet, so I hate them all. People like Space Dandy's dub, but I think it's garbage.
youve watched 7 shows so how can you possibly say dubs are bad. go watch baccano, black lagoon, fullmetal alchemist brotherhood then come back
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Apr 8, 2014 3:08 PM

Sep 2013
I'm sure the subs vs. dubs debate will start raging again...

Some badly localized series that I watched many years ago soured me a bit on dubs, but to be fair, the dubs weren't the real problem; the heavy editing was the real defect in these series. Battle of the Planets, the heavily edited version of Gatchaman that ran in the United States in the late 1970s, is the example that I best remember. These days, I always watch subs. Some series aren't available dubbed, of course, but even for those who are, I'm simply used to watching the original and reading the subtitles. I'm not opposed to dubs, and if I hear of one that gets a lot of praise, I might watch it. If a dub truly is bad, I would prefer not to have to experience it (unless it is terrible to the point of being funny). And I truly hate badly localized, heavily edited series.

I am a very fast reader - at least in English - so subtitles aren't much of a distraction for me. I'm also an avid fan of opera, which always has subtitles (or supertitles when seen live in the theater). Even if the opera is sung in English, the style of singing makes it hard to understand, so subtitles are often necessary. Having seen many operas has definitely made me accustomed to subtitles.

Not everybody reads as quickly as I do; for people who are a little slower, subtitles might be more of a distraction. I notice this when I watch something with French subtitles. Since I'm not quite fluent in French, I read it more slowly and have to think about it, so the subtitles can be distracting. It is good language practice, however, so I make a point of occasionally watching an anime series with French fansubs. Maybe I should look for something with a French dub.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Apr 8, 2014 3:11 PM

Dec 2013
I love good dubs as next as the next guy, but if they sound like they don't even try than I won't even bother with it. It gets a little tiring reading subs so I switch it up with a good dub.
Apr 8, 2014 3:20 PM

Apr 2011
I don't hate dubs. I don't like them either. Good dubs, bad dubs, average dubs.... I don't care. Original language is the only way to go for a language enthusiast like myself. If I could do it, I'd read raw manga scans or import original Japanese volumes.... but I can't read Japanese, so I have to make do with the next best alternative---> English translations.
Apr 8, 2014 3:22 PM

Jan 2009
I'm gonna go with both, cause for me they're collectively bad ones. Then again can't really imagine Afro Samurai without SLJ and Ron Perlman.
The Forbidden Four: Clannad, Elfen Lied, Chaos;Head and Higurashi.
You recommend it to me - you die.

If there aren't at least 3 series per year centered around some overpowered badass, voiced by Nakata Jouji then there's something wrong with anime industry.
Apr 8, 2014 3:27 PM

Jul 2012
I watch dubs and usually prefer to watch dubs but I've been watching a lot more subbed now-a-days mostly because I watch a lot newer shows that don't have dubs yet and I don't want to wait. And in some cases, although usually in older anime, the dubs change up part of the story so I'll watch it subbed then.
Apr 8, 2014 5:52 PM

Mar 2013
I watch subs and dubs, but I only watch the dubs If its from funimation. Every other company, Especially 4kids, ruin the whole entire anime for me.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Apr 8, 2014 5:59 PM
Aug 2011
Just the bad ones which is like 98% of them so there you go.

Though that doesn't mean I completely avoid them.
Dubs can work wonders when when I want to watching something MEH and I want to multi-task while watching.
Apr 8, 2014 6:04 PM

Dec 2012
Just the bad ones, but a dub that I'd consider bad (bad as in unsatisfactorily acted) is extremely rare. It is mostly confined to older anime dubbed in the 80s and 90s.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 8, 2014 6:06 PM

Oct 2013
There is no reason that anybody should hate a dub, regardless of how bad it is. If you aren't interested in watching it, then nobody is forcing you to; why should you care?
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
Apr 8, 2014 6:08 PM

Dec 2012
Just the bad ones, where they don't even try to sound realistic or match their emotions, the voices don't match the characters at all, or they're just bland and boring...
Not all dubs are bad, some are actually really good. Take Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and it's sequels/counterparts for an example of a great dub. =^-^=
Apr 8, 2014 6:10 PM

Apr 2013
Link_of_Hyrule said:
There is no reason that anybody should hate a dub, regardless of how bad it is. If you aren't interested in watching it, then nobody is forcing you to; why should you care?
what if a dub sounds like shit?
an egomaniac and a fool

Apr 8, 2014 7:09 PM

May 2013
I've gotten too used to subs. I'll only watch dubs if the Japanese voice acting is really bad and thankfully, i haven't watched too many anime where that's the case.
"A samurai doesn't need a reason to take action. If something needs saving, all you have to do is grab your sword"-Sakata Gintoki
Apr 8, 2014 7:29 PM

Mar 2012
Link_of_Hyrule said:
What if I like watching my anime dubbed and want to see certain show in dubbed form but it turns out to be really shitty?

That's why I hate Sentai. I'm still praying for the day where Funimation or Bang Zoom or anyone gets their hands on Mawaru Penguindrum and gives it the dub it deserves
Apr 8, 2014 7:53 PM
Jan 2014
The Sub v Dub debate is ridiculous. It's filled with egoism. Subs come out first, the sub audience associate the VAs with the characters, Dubs come out approximately one year later with their VAs and receive criticism. This cynical view maybe justified earlier in the anime industry with the lack of skill pool for dub VAs but now with the improvement of dub VAs, they should be afforded some courtesy.

May I also ask the question, Why do audiences with an English speaking background comment on the quality of sub VAs? I'm befuddled. Surely you can't attain a true grasp without having the understanding of the Japanese language. It'd be just the same as commenting on Italian dubbing with no Italian background knowledge whatsoever.

Subbed to me, is like a 3D graphic novel.

There are plenty of great dubs, You might have to look harder to find but they are there... Black Lagoon, Fate Zero, FMA:Brotherhood, Baccano!, Cowboy Bebop, Btooom!...
Apr 8, 2014 7:59 PM

Dec 2008
I try to keep an open mind about dubs. There's a lot of great dubs out there, but there are many people who believe that anime should be watched in its original language, no matter what. I don't think that's fair, though I do understand why some people feel that way.

Some problems with dubs include such things as the stigma from years ago where shows like Pokemon or Cardcaptor Sakura were dubbed and put on TV without any regard for the original script and the voice actors not being very good actors.

While a lot of that has changed, the feeling remains. Some complaints now include that a lot of the same voice actors appear in different shows. Directors are used to working with the actors they know, and the voice actors are used to acting with the limited range of lip flaps they get to use with each line, which can be a challenge for newbies.

It's a strange thing to debate for such a niche medium, but understandable when you look at anime's history in other countries and other people's experiences with both subs and dubs.

All that being said, I don't hate dubs as a whole. There are plenty of people who enjoy them and good for them. I prefer subs, because I'm weird and actually enjoy reading subtitles, plus I like listening to Japanese. Listening to another language just sounds cool to me. I'll give a dub a try if I hear good things, or if I'm looking forward to a show that is getting a dub. There are some clearly bad dubs out there for certain, but to judge them all collectively seems silly to me.
Apr 8, 2014 8:21 PM

Oct 2009
While I do find some dubbed anime bad, I don't hate on them. TMoHS really surprised me with the amazing performances of the English VAs and got me switching to dubbed anime for a while. But yeah, great dubs are hard to find unfortunately although there are a handful of them.
Apr 8, 2014 8:44 PM

Jul 2012
Don't hate dubs at all. But I don't watch them a lot because I always have a favourite VA or two in the Japanese cast. I'm actually gonna watched the dubbed version of some of my completed shows in the future.
Apr 8, 2014 8:53 PM

Apr 2010
Red_Keys said:
JizzyHitler said:
SolBlade said:
pLaguE_ said:
SolBlade said:
Red_Keys said:

But I like some dubs. HOTD's dub was amazing. Baccano's dub is amazing. I want to watch Black Lagoon dubbed.

You can't go wrong with the Black Lagoon dub. It fits perfectly for that anime due to being more Western-style action than Japanese.

http://i.imgur.com/yffey0r.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXj4lxMYaCA
I am indefinetly going to watch this series in dub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaPSkjXp0

I hate dubs, but I might have to make an exception.
Apr 8, 2014 10:40 PM
Oct 2013
I usually watch dubbed more than subbed, but I really got no preference. There are some VA not suited for roles, yeah, but saying that all dubbed anime is bad is silly.
Apr 8, 2014 10:43 PM

Jan 2013
'I hate all the good ones'
the motto of every sub lover.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 8, 2014 10:49 PM

Dec 2012
I'll watch a dub regardless of how good or bad it may be
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Apr 8, 2014 10:54 PM

Jun 2013
If there's a dub for a series all usually watch it unless it unbearably bad. Normally when I see a dub for an anime I watch in sub I don't like it but I get the feeling I'd be fine with it if I hadn't gotten used to the Japanese voices.
Apr 8, 2014 11:06 PM

Mar 2014
Just the bad ones. I usually watch the sub as i prefer it, but there is the occasion where I'll watch an entire series in dub. It all depends on the availability as well as the quality of the voice acting.
Apr 8, 2014 11:37 PM

Aug 2012
I don't hate them collectively, nor do I only hate ones that are ''objectively bad"(yeah I know). Steins;Gate is a good dub when it comes down to it, I just dislike it for specific reasons.
Apr 9, 2014 12:22 AM
Jul 2018

Just the bad ones.
Apr 9, 2014 1:01 AM

Mar 2010
It's not that I "hate" dubs. I just dislike them and simply don't watch them.
"Then again, if she's not my sibling, there's no bling, either" - Ararararagi Koyomi
Apr 9, 2014 2:57 AM

Nov 2013
I do not hate dubs. Though I really prefer subs cause some of the voices are really done well.
Dubs are enjoyable if the voices are done properly.
And...I do like the Angel Beats ! Dub. Though I've watched both sub and dub of the anime, I don't think the dub is bad.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2014 2:59 AM
Nov 2008
meh.

voices are voices are voices unless it's American Konata or Japanese Shirai Kuroko. Those are voices, son.
Apr 9, 2014 3:14 AM

Jan 2014
xDrayken said:
I hate dubs. Only a few anime have proper dubs in English or French. The only ones I've watched in French dub were Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi, Ookami kodomo no Ame to Yuki, and Great Teacher Onizuka.

'Only a few' ? You're being generous. :/
Movies usually have better dubs so good voice actors for Ookami Kodomo or Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi is no surprise, I guess.
Watched GTO a looong time ago so I don't remember how good the dub is; definitely gotta check that out.

For my part, the anime with great french dubs I remember watching were Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Apr 9, 2014 3:27 AM
Mar 2011
disnys dubs are bad simple as that becuase of bad Casting Practices
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 9, 2014 3:27 AM
Jul 2018
I'd say just the bad ones cause i remember enjoying Black Lagoon.
Apr 9, 2014 4:36 AM
Dec 2013
I dont hate dubs at all.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 26 minutes ago

7 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

20 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 5 hours ago

23 by deg »»
11 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

62 by Pinoffin »»
23 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 2 hours ago

4 by LightWorker »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.