Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2009 8:38 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Miki is one huge walking plot hole. her very existence undermines everything that happened in the OVA and a large part of the premise of the series. I don't know why they felt the need to add her character.

the timing in this series was awful, things were always dragged out longer than they needed to be, thereby destroying whatever mood they were trying to create.

the English voice actors were pure fail as well.

this was a so-so series that I wouldn't bother to recommend to anyone, but at least it didn't feel like a complete waste of time.
Aug 10, 2013 2:14 AM

Mar 2010
Glad we're in agreement.

This show sucks, and it's too bad that it is attached to such a cool thing as Magic Users Club.

I was really disappointed to see that at no point during the episode did we find a time where all five club members were wearing their uniforms flying on brooms.
Dec 26, 2016 4:31 PM
Jun 2013
so this was basically a confession episode kinda lol poor takeo. Not to bad. Also Aburatsubo is bisexual I guess. I like the ova more,but i found the tv show good a well as it expanded the characters a bit more. wouldint mind more and is mizuha seems to still have feelings and is just lieing to herself.
souledge94Dec 26, 2016 4:38 PM
Jan 31, 2018 7:18 AM

Mar 2016
Sometimes it tried to do some interesting things, and it had good episodes, but, like the OVA, the characters didn't help anything along. Sae and Nanaka were the only bearable characters. I can't say I liked either this or the OVA very much. The overall idea wasn't too bad, I guess.
Jan 20, 2019 3:21 AM

Jan 2013
felt like a complete waste of time. i can't believe i got conned into watching this graphically lackluster continuation after the prequel of that brilliant ova.
Apr 17, 2019 5:58 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
They surely dragged this confession thing all the way to the end, but is it really a confession? Sure, Takeo's feelings came across, and so did Sae's, but....Sae loves everyone as a member of the Magic Club, so.....RIP Takeo-kun.

Too many things have been dragged with the characters being hesitant about speaking their mind, and the developments have been very slow, that's why this anime became dull. It's too bad as I really enjoyed its prequel OVA. Was curious as to why this TV series had such a lower score than its prequel, and now I can see why.

I really like the character designs of this anime, and I like Sae the most out of all of them. But this anime felt such a cringe to watch because of the lackluster development. I could probably rewatch this at some point to witness that juicy giantess stuff from episode 12 all over again yes! but aside from that, nothing else really stands out in here and I doubt I'd ever recommend this TV anime to anyone. The prequel OVA was a lot better. :/

6/10 is enough from me, and that's me being generous.
Apr 29, 2021 8:27 PM

Jun 2014
It turns out that Jinno wasn't bad at all, and now that Sae confessed her feelings to Takeo, everything is okay, and she accepts her magic again.

This was quite good. Perhaps the OVA was better, but this was still enjoyable as well. As long as I get to see the sexy Aburatsubo, I'm happy. :)

Dec 17, 2021 2:31 PM

Aug 2017
Aburatsubo's apparent (not in the epilogue though) change of heart was a bit unexpected. Nothing wrong with that but more development would be nice. Maybe he was feeling guilty about Nanaka (even called her by her first name!), dunno.

First they came to the tree with magic and returned by train, now it's the opposite. Nice juxtaposition.

I suppose Micky was necessary for a "mentor" character to give Sae a push because, while Takakura technically was one in the club, his wacky antics just stood in the way of making him the one to encourage Sae to look inside her own heart in some serious pre-climax scene.

And of course Chiaki J. Konaka wrote this introspective episode.

P.S. What even happened between Sae's sister and her boyfriend? Nice to see them on a bike rather than a car, though. Brings them closer.
St0rmbladeDec 17, 2021 2:43 PM
Apr 3, 2022 1:15 AM

Jan 2021
I'd agree this was not as good as the original OVA, but it was not the "awful garbage" I'd heard it described as. For the most part I really liked it. Most of the episodes were really good and had a lot of humor and good character exchanges. The dream episode (6 I think) was my favorite, and some later scenes really stood out, like Sae being sad the culture festival sign was trashed. But around the last four episodes it seemed to drift off course and the tone shifted. Everyone became more distant, Nanaka hitting Sae, Aikawa becoming giant (for some reason), and the whole Miki thing seemed unnecessary. She basically was built up for the whole season in Sae's narration and then finally appears and basically does nothing, just tells Sae to go deal with it herself and that's the end of her. Somehow it felt unfinished. The weird tension between Nanaka and Aburatsubo didn't feel resolved and felt unnecessary in the first place since the OVA already covered their relationship, I didn't see the need to re-visit it and drag it out into this awkward mess. There seemed to be a recurring theme of most of the cast having some issue with their parents that also never really wrapped up. I'm not sure why it was such a focus. Aside from that, the first 2/3 were great, the last 1/3 wavered. Overall really not bad at all.
Shrimp_TailApr 3, 2022 1:20 AM
Jul 15, 2022 4:21 PM

Jul 2022
So I went into this show completely blind, only learning it existed a few days ago because it was recommended by Crunchyroll and the girls on the thumbnail were cute. I don't normally watch anime like this, but I'm so glad I gave it a chance!

The high school relationship drama was very well written, and a lot the humor that would've gone over my head had I watched in 1999 landed well in 2022. The show has a pretty nostalgic, classic feel that takes me back to when I first started watching anime as I kid. You could argue that the main "story" doesn't begin until around Episode 9, but I liked the ending well enough and loved most of the characters so much that the "filler" didn't bother me.

My biggest gripe is with the lack of characterization for Akane, as she was more plot device than person in most episodes. I also feel like the introduction of Mickey at the end was a letdown, as other than Sae's exposition she didn't matter at all until Episode 12.

I still really enjoyed this for what it was and would give it a 7/10 if pressed to provide a rating. I'll probably rewatch it with my wife at some point since it gives me a "Sailor Moon" vibe I think she'd love.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai Tai! (TV) Episode 6 Discussion

_-_Sally_-_ - Apr 28, 2021

2 by yasmimlais »»
May 22, 2023 8:31 PM

Poll: » Mahou Tsukai Tai Episode 10 Discussion

jacobpaige - Aug 19, 2009

4 by St0rmblade »»
Dec 16, 2021 1:00 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai Tai! (TV) Episode 9 Discussion

_-_Sally_-_ - Apr 29, 2021

1 by St0rmblade »»
Dec 16, 2021 12:19 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai Tai! (TV) Episode 8 Discussion

_-_Sally_-_ - Apr 28, 2021

3 by haydenluvsanime »»
Dec 16, 2021 7:30 AM

Poll: » Mahou Tsukai Tai! Episode 2 Discussion

MyLonesomeCowboy - Aug 7, 2013

5 by St0rmblade »»
Dec 13, 2021 7:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.