Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 10, 2008 12:53 PM
Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sad episode this week. The flashback was a bit depressing and the symbolism of the cut-outs was really profound. Good episode. I guess it's the end of Kotomi's arc next episode.
Jan 10, 2008 4:57 PM

Nov 2007
I just finished the raw. Wasn't as confusing as I thought it would be.

Yeah the first half was sad :( the flashback and everything. I'll post moar when ss-eclipse finishes up their sub.
Jan 11, 2008 9:19 AM

Nov 2007
I should be enjoying this more, but I'm just not, and this ep. confirmed this. It's well done and all, but I can't seem to get emotionally attached to the characters, which pretty much kills a show like this. Eh. Still good enough to watch more though.

Jan 11, 2008 9:59 AM

Jan 2008
Not a bad episode, a bit depressing at the beginning with the flashbacks of Kotomi's past. I thought there would've have been some mention of the "other world" Kotomi's parents had discovered but I guess that was just a random thing, though they might mention it next episode.
Jan 11, 2008 10:38 AM

Aug 2007
not bad, i felt so bad for kotomi :\
Jan 11, 2008 11:20 AM

Nov 2007
I was happy that it finally was out after such a long time.
I feel really sorry for Kotomi I guess I can say I almost cried a little, if only those parents didn't need to work...
Jan 11, 2008 1:21 PM

Dec 2007
that was some sad episode.... when Kotomi told "I'll be a good girl... so come back." numerous times, it almost made me cry.... but the end, where okazaki understood that hi is not alones, made me feel very good... so it was a fine episode for me :)
Jan 11, 2008 8:33 PM

Oct 2007
sad ep, but captivating. wonder whats going to happen with her arc. like stated above looks like its done after next week
Jan 11, 2008 9:32 PM
Jun 2007
So much potential in this anime. Too bad they're going to throw it all away on Nagisa in the end.

Nagisa = generic non-personality mary-sue. Tch.

Jan 12, 2008 2:37 AM

Oct 2007
I don't think nagisa is that bad...just the others are much better! Anyway good episode, little kotomi was so cute, and then the flashbacks just got sad. I'm wondering why tomoya wasn't at her birthday though...
Jan 12, 2008 5:44 AM
Aug 2007
gah soo sad and depressing (in a good way). The fact that the next ep is the last of Kotomi makes it more sad.

I'm sure Nagisa will be developed more if they have a second season cos they won't fit it in one.
Jan 12, 2008 7:57 AM

Apr 2007
Why do you say Nagisa is so generic? I don't see it that way. We're just having an arc where the girl actually knew Tomoya from an older date, so she has more connections to him than Nagisa does. Still, Nagisa shows care towards not only Tomoya, but Kotomi as well. She doesn't give up something she really wants to do - the Drama club - but yet she's willing to help those she finds along the way. Although she has a goal, she just can't stay blind to others' problems. And she was the one who seemed to convince Kyou to go back and help Tomoya, and the little glance they shared meant more than words could, didn't it? I just don't see how she's generic. She's not like any of the previous KEY main girls, Ayu and Misuzu. Her existance isn't completely dependant on him, and she retributes everything he's done to her whenever she can. I actually like Nagisa a lot.

There must be something really bad with Tomoya for him to have forgotten about Kotomi. Also something bad must have happened so he couldn't show up on her birthday, or he was planning on coming back later and couldn't find her? Anyway, Tomoya's a really broken character, I feel bad for him.

Also, it could be just me, but Kotomi's seiyuu isn't really fit for child roles. Not that she's bad or anything, but she felt just unnatural and I dare say my ears hurt. Kotomi's also broken and I hope everything turns out good for her in the end.

And lastly, for the love of God, Clannad. Speed things up a bit.
Jan 12, 2008 8:00 AM
Sep 2007
quite good episode, but somehow it was a bit short. had the feeling that somehow the pacing was a bit slow in this episode
and i demand a second season, as it is a crime to squeeze everything left into 11 episodes :/
Jan 12, 2008 8:27 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
AngelLily said:
There must be something really bad with Tomoya for him to have forgotten about Kotomi. Also something bad must have happened so he couldn't show up on her birthday, or he was planning on coming back later and couldn't find her? Anyway, Tomoya's a really broken character, I feel bad for him.
I agree.

I think this is going to be the other way around - even though Tomoya has been supporting all the other girls, I think in the end, Nagisa's going to be supporting him, rather than him to her... if that makes any sense ^^

Enjoyed this ep. Didn't really like the huge gap in the middle (if there's only one ep left, I wish they would have shortened Fuuko's by one, and made Kotomi's arc end before New Year's) because I lost a lot of my attachment to the characters over the break.

Little Tomoya and Little Kotomi - pure win!
Jan 12, 2008 8:41 AM

Apr 2007
Can anyone say Tomoyo's arc will be butchered~?
Jan 12, 2008 9:12 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I cried in the beginning. Very nice episode. I disagree about a lot said in this thread but I'm looking forward to more.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 12, 2008 9:35 AM

Nov 2007
Little Kotomi is cute. I guess she feels guilty for having told her parents she hated them. And then burning the paper, which she realized later (after devoting herself to studying) could have been really important. The book cutting is explained, but the terrible violin playing isn't. She seemed to be practicing okay as a kid; wonder what happened.

And uh .. you really can't repair a violin if the next is snapped in half like that. Well, it would just require a complete replacement of the neck, which shouldn't alter the sound TOO much since the body is what resonates all the sound. And I think six months is a huge exaggeration. It's a wooden instrument, not a stone sculpture.

http://www.bartruff.com/howto.php

But that sucks anyway it had to fall out of its case like that. Restoring the garden is hard enough work, but I guess there will be another miracle with the violin? Or it would be done at the end of the series, hm.

Anime like these really minimize the importance of school and studying. Unless the Japanese just really don't have that much homework. But, when needed in the plot, characters always say "Mou, I have so much homework!" So which is it?

And I think the trenchcoat guy could have broken the news to little Kotomi a little more subtly. Where was Tomoya on her birthday though? Hmm...
Jan 12, 2008 11:38 AM

Aug 2007
Kotomi-chan needed a hug...but according to anime harem laws, the male lead can only have lovey-dovey physical contact with the chosen female partner.

Kotomi's story is somewhat similar to a majority of Mai and some of Nayuki's story in Kanon, Key is really running out of ideas huh?

Looks like my prediction of the Kotomi arc was wrong, I'm feeling the story more so than Fuko's, which just screams a direct copy of Ayu sans female lead status. There were some parts that just brought tears to your eyes, still no manly tears on this end though! Nagisa needs to have a real compelling story in order to live up to her name as the female harem lead, I don't want another disappointment like Kanon.

Anyone else seeing a drop in animation quality compared to the earlier episodes? Is it just me or did kyoani decide to skimp on things a bit when it comes to this arc?

Most memorable episode moment...(too lazy to download raw and make a gif)
Watch 05:15-05:25...I lol'ed so haaaard xD

AngelLily said:

And lastly, for the love of God, Clannad. Speed things up a bit.

Tomoya still looked innocent during that time, a Kanon-esqued tragedy might have occurred during that specific time period or something (like his mom going awol?).

Baseless speculation
Episodes 1-4 = Intro Arc (4 episodes)
Episodes 5-9 = Fuko Arc (5 episodes)
Episodes 10-14 = Kotomi Arc (5 episodes)
Episodes 15-17 = Kyou/Ryou Arc (3 episodes)
Episodes 18-20 = Tomoyo Arc (3 episodes)
Episodes 21-24 = Nagisa Arc (4 episodes)

Yeeeeah...either Tomoyo and Kyou have short stories or things will definitely speed up a bit...Forgot all about Tomoyo...where the hell is she? xD

Edit: Haha completely forgot about Tomoyo! xD
PimpToadJan 12, 2008 11:42 AM
Jan 12, 2008 11:45 AM

Jan 2007
Kotomi T_T
Jan 12, 2008 11:48 AM

Apr 2007
There's an arc missing there, PimpToad, about the Girl and her Robot friend.
Jan 12, 2008 11:51 AM
Dec 2007
I'm thinking they will skip Tomoyo's arc after all. We've seen more Ryou than we've seen Tomoyo. And Tomoyo has her own Game doesn't she? Who is betting her story will be done in a special or an OVA?

As for this episode, I totally linked with them. I'm guessing Tomoya suffered some sort of trauma hence why he can't truly remember those times. I didn't like his reaction after the fact. He was a little too cold. I mean, he just learned he's partially at fault for her psychological scars, and he doesn't even attempt to comfort her in some manner. He even partially shrugged off the fact he never came back to her.
Leon-GunJan 12, 2008 11:56 AM

Jan 12, 2008 11:56 AM

Nov 2007
PimpToad said:

Oh that's awful. xD
Jan 12, 2008 11:58 AM
Dec 2007
Crisu said:
PimpToad said:

Oh that's awful. xD
Wow, I totally skimmed through that. But such a perverted mind. >.<

Jan 12, 2008 12:05 PM

Aug 2007
AngelLily said:

I get a feeling that is a part of the Nagisa arc, kyoani doesn't have enough episodes to play around with to give the robot girl her own arc. I think in the game, Sunohara's sister or something got her own arc...which we won't see considering the time constraints we have now. Thinking kyoani will intertwine the Tomoyo/Kyou arc like they did with Ayu/Nayuki in kanon.

Leon-Gun said:
Crisu said:
PimpToad said:

Oh that's awful. xD

Kyoani did that, not me...xD
I'm so tempted to make a gif of that xD
Jan 12, 2008 12:36 PM

Apr 2007
This should seriously have more episodes... 26 at least.

And from what I've gathered through random readings about Clannad, the girl and her robot friend just can't be ignored. They play an essential part on the plot.
MaxwellLilyJan 12, 2008 12:42 PM
Jan 12, 2008 12:37 PM

Oct 2007
That some sad stuff.

Jan 12, 2008 12:59 PM

Aug 2007
It all depends on how kyoani approaches things...

If its 24 episodes plus a 1 cour 13 episode S2 or a 6 episode ova, more arcs can then be fit in. If its a single 24 episode 2 cour season, then some arcs will have to be mingled together; similar to how the Ayu/Nayuki arc can be played side by side...even if Nayuki always gets the short end of the stick.

The robot girl has to be important or kyoani wouldn't have animated it with such badassery!
Jan 12, 2008 1:09 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
PimpToad said:
Leon-Gun said:
Crisu said:
PimpToad said:

Oh that's awful. xD

Kyoani did that, not me...xD
I'm so tempted to make a gif of that xD

Go ahead and you'll totally ruin it. I knew someone would mention this, and personally I hate it that I was right.

AngelLily said:

That's not an arc, it will most likely be shown in bits until it's done. You can't treat it like an arc that can compare to one of the character arcs.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 12, 2008 1:17 PM

Apr 2007
*shrugs* I just supposed it was an arc from what I've read, but I haven't read much because I'm not fond of spoiling myself.
Jan 12, 2008 1:20 PM
Jun 2007
First of all, its been confirmed for 52 episodes. That's why it's slow pacing, lol.

Secondly, LEARN WHAT A MARYSUE is. Nagisa is like the textbook definition of marysue. It requires no thinking to create. She has no personality, she's just a copypasta'd marysue. If they want it to be good/interesting they should end it with Kyou(tsundere, but better than Marysue) Misae, or Tomoyo(since she has sequel) or hell even Sunohara because he's so GAR in the game.

The strongest girl making my clothes...those would be the strongest clothes.

Jan 12, 2008 1:27 PM

Apr 2007
I know what a Mary Sue is, and I still disagree with you. And you're gonna hate this, but I doubt they'll make Tomoya end up with anybody else than Nagisa. All the hints they keep putting in the anime to draw Tomoya and Nagisa together, that weren't in the original game, is a sign of that.

And I'm sorry, but where has it been confirmed? I didn't see any official confirmation, just speculation.
Jan 12, 2008 1:32 PM
Jun 2007
AngelLily said:
I know what a Mary Sue is, and I still disagree with you. And you're gonna hate this, but I doubt they'll make Tomoya end up with anybody else than Nagisa. All the hints they keep putting in the anime to draw Tomoya and Nagisa together, that weren't in the original game, is a sign of that.

And I'm sorry, but where has it been confirmed? I didn't see any official confirmation, just speculation.

You're right, sorry. Moonphase is just implying it. It's not confirmed. Still, I doubt it;s gonna be 24-26 episodes. Maybe 37 episodes? I don't think that's ever happened before but it could I guess...lol.

And we'll just have to agree to disagree about Nagisa.

Jan 12, 2008 1:39 PM

Apr 2007
While I doubt it's going to be longer than 24/26 episodes, I wish it were. Just because of the pacing. It's still slow and I didn't it it to start rushing near the end, it'd be too risky. Clannad is still a risky series, with far too many elements we've seen before.

And sure, we can disagree. I'm one of the few people here that doesn't like Kyou that much anyway ^^; And I tend to like tsunderes.

Oh, and I just checked the 5:15 segment... I remember blinking a bit about it, but please don't make a gif, it's so wrong ^^;
MaxwellLilyJan 12, 2008 1:46 PM
Jan 12, 2008 2:00 PM

Aug 2007
Well Clannad is a lot longer than both Air and Kanon combined, so there is a high chance that there will be an S2. The question is how they will approach this matter. For those who have read some spoilers about the game, the *blank* will probably start of Clannad S2 if there is one.

If it is confirmed, post a link stating that kyoani has indeed green lighted an S2 or whatever. If you don't have a credible source, then don't say confirmed please. Even if there is an S2, Haruhi S2 would play first, then maybe a new FMP?, then Clannad S2. Give or take next winter or next year spring before it airs.

The otaku community will probably do that gif either way...Kyoani sure knows how to appeal to every crowd...the lolicons are drooling! xD
Jan 12, 2008 2:02 PM

Apr 2007
I'm sure Haruhi S2 will come out this year, either on Spring (which makes Clannad 24/26 episodes, maybe season 1?) or Fall (which would leave Clannad for glorious and continuous 50+ episodes).
Jan 12, 2008 2:10 PM

Aug 2007
Clannad has already been confirmed for 24 episodes. If its going to 26, probably a special 2 ova episode kind of like what they did with Code Geass and Ah My Goddess.

I don't think there's enough material to stretch Clannad to 4 cour series, Fuko's arc is already done and Kotomi's will end next episode; leaving only 3 main lead girls left.

Hell I don't think any VN adaptation has stretched to 4 cours...most do 2 at the most.

Jan 12, 2008 2:13 PM

Apr 2007
The thing is, I don't really know. 24 just feel too little, though I'm sure KyoAni will do an amazing job on it. I'm not sure 50 would be great either. The only thing I'm sure is that I wish Clannad wouldn't be rushed near the end...

And uh, do all of the Da Capo adaptations count? lol
Jan 12, 2008 2:15 PM

Aug 2007
It was really nice. 5/5 :P
Jan 12, 2008 2:43 PM

Aug 2007
Da Capo doesn't count because half of the episodes in S1 are mostly side stories, plus the Second Season centers more around the characters introduced in DCPC. Clannad hasn't spawned any sequels like Da Capo, A Wonderful Life doesn't count because it is a standalone story of the Tomoyo ending.

I'm just hoping that won't be similar to Kanon in which the slow pacing of the earlier episodes lead to a semi-rushed ending. The way things are going, half of the series has already been consumed and 3 main leads still need there story told. It took them 10 episodes to explain 2 girls...plus the Clannad story is at least twice that of Kanon...there will be an inevitable rush unless kyoani suddenly shows us a Clannad S2 promo/trailer at the end of episode 24...which is a possibility considering the pacing we have right now.
Jan 12, 2008 2:46 PM

Oct 2007
AngelLily said:

Yes indeed... Clannad seems to be very confusing at the hidden pasts.

Main reason i like it is because (exception of a few episode) it manages to combine something nice (light humour) when there is drama, and it gets really nice when there isn't.

I dont like it when people compare it with Kanon and say they run out of ideas, because it from a visual novel, they cant change it!!!
Jan 12, 2008 3:16 PM

Aug 2007
It wasn't a bad episode. The flashback was done really well. I was really only expecting Okazaki to talk about her the choice Kotomi made. Other than that the episode was great, but I hope next episode explains why he didn't appear to her party.
Jan 12, 2008 3:23 PM

May 2007
Ah, again with the worries in Key stuffing all the arcs in scheduled episodes. XD
Sad episode. It's been a few week since the last one, and I think the girls are cuter by the episode. x3 The preview for episode 14 don't say much so it's probably the end for Kotomi's quota. It should be a good one.
Jan 12, 2008 4:06 PM

Feb 2007
Kotomi <333333333

:D

this arc is great. ^^
Jan 12, 2008 4:23 PM

Dec 2007
I guess this episode was so-so...

I will sound... cold, but that "I hate you" thing is a tad cliche IMO >.> Every situation in which a person have problems overcoming their parents death involves argument before the tragedy, ending up in either "I hate you" or not saying "Itterashai" (dunno exact meaning, but most people here should know what i mean)... >.>
Also... well, I found this epsiode extremely low-progressive for one of the last episodes of an arc. What I mean is that basically besides Kotomi's past, all it shows is Okazaki working in the garden >.> well not all, but most of the time. I understood this, lets say, had to be done, but it could've been made in a different way.

I think it's first episode I rated less than 5 :/ again, maybe it's just because of the break.

-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
Jan 12, 2008 5:14 PM

Feb 2007
kasumisama said:
I should be enjoying this more, but I'm just not, and this ep. confirmed this. It's well done and all, but I can't seem to get emotionally attached to the characters, which pretty much kills a show like this. Eh. Still good enough to watch more though.

I love the Kotomi arc, but I agree with you. Maybe it's because of the break period, or maybe because there are other Fall Shows (Kaiji, Shion no Ou) that are even better in the character development department...

Oh well, let's see how the Kotomi arc will end next episode.
Jan 12, 2008 5:47 PM

Nov 2007
Is it just me or was the whole childhood friend thing a little unnecessary? It didnt really have any impact on the story whatsoever...

The story was moving at a nice pace, as everyone was trying to help kotomi open up to people more. Then out of nowhere, kotomi loses it and locks herself in her house, okazaki suddenly remembers everything, and then everyone continues encouraging kotomi to get back on her feet.

If they wanted to have a flashback, they probably should have just had the old man explain her story to the group instead of randomly making Okazaki remember it and turning him into a "childhood friend". On top of that, the flash back was a little dull and it didnt exactly make kotomi any more likeable...
Jan 12, 2008 5:57 PM
Dec 2007
Actually, I think it was more of a setup for Tomoya's past more than for Kotomi. The little question that now tickles our mind is : "Why did Tomoya never came back?" So really, they chose to present it this way to touch more on Tomoya's past, since up until now we only knew his mom was dead and he hated his dad's guts.

Jan 12, 2008 7:23 PM

Jun 2007
From someone that has never played the game or read any spoilers about the game I found this series good and somewhat medium paced all the way up till now. This ep was ok but it just seemed to go by very slooowwwwww. I have no other gripes about it though. It gave us just enough info to build theory's and conclusions about future events.

As for theory's. I think its safe to say that Tomoya didn't show up because of family issues (ie. his mom left, died, or something happened to her). The drama probably caused him to totally forget about her b-day. Why he didn't visit after is beyond me. The only thing I could guess is that his mom was really Kotomi's mom and he found out through his dad, which he now despises. But somehow I doubt thats what really happened :P.
Jan 13, 2008 4:18 AM

Jul 2007
well i dunno about anyone else but i can't wait for this arc to end, i'm really not too fond of the moeblob :<
Jan 13, 2008 5:17 AM

Apr 2007
DeathfireD said:
The only thing I could guess is that his mom was really Kotomi's mom and he found out through his dad, which he now despises. But somehow I doubt thats what really happened :P.

He hates his dad for being a drunk, not caring about him and for hurting his arm, I believe.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nodoka-koi - Nov 29, 2007

443 by Creepyy »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Clannad Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

nodoka-koi - Nov 22, 2007

193 by Creepyy »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Clannad Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Oct 5, 2007

273 by D-A-W »»
Apr 19, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Oct 12, 2007

192 by Creepyy »»
Apr 19, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Awesmoe - Mar 28, 2008

349 by EM1LL3US »»
Apr 10, 1:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.