Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 17, 2009 12:35 PM

Dec 2008
I very much liked this episode :). So far for the past few weeks - I think I like this episode the best in terms of character development. Last week's was epic, this week's is just emotional :P.

For once, there was a specific part when the background music annoyed me a lot, I think it was the bedroom scene between Winry and Al. This surprised me, since I'm not too picky about background music.

I really liked the part when Ed was fervently digging for the human remains of his "mother" - you can literally see him turning mad/crazy.

Various moments when I was just awed by the animation/art. Like the moment when Al "cries" - god I thought that was genius

As always, can't wait until the next episode!

(Shoot I just remembered I have vacation, dammit I have to wait for two weeks!! NOOOOO)
Aug 17, 2009 1:37 PM

May 2009
Emotional episode with nice character development. It had good pacing too.
Aug 17, 2009 2:04 PM

Apr 2007
:/
They really need to stop with all the cuts and start focusing more on the Xingese characters, especially with the big things up ahead that involve them. It's really starting to annoy me.
Overall nothing really stood out and the BGM where Ed/Al were talking near the stairs and Izumi was crying was way off imo. So yeah I didn't enjoy this episode...at all.
MonochromeAug 17, 2009 3:28 PM
Aug 17, 2009 2:56 PM

Nov 2007
robbydesu said:

For once, there was a specific part when the background music annoyed me a lot, I think it was the bedroom scene between Winry and Al. This surprised me, since I'm not too picky about background music.

The music for the last 3-4 minutes was did not fit in at all, especially with the instantly dramatic sound followed by near silence to start that whole sequence...
Elsewhere, a somewhat startled Warren Worthington III finds that he has accidentally wandered into an electrified east-side world of post-twist teens and watsui-ing teeny-boppers...
Aug 17, 2009 3:01 PM

May 2009
Nicely done episode. But the upcoming ones would be great :D
Aug 17, 2009 3:28 PM

Nov 2008
robbydesu said:
I very much liked this episode :). So far for the past few weeks - I think I like this episode the best in terms of character development. Last week's was epic, this week's is just emotional :P.

I really liked the part when Ed was fervently digging for the human remains of his "mother" - you can literally see him turning mad/crazy.

Various moments when I was just awed by the animation/art. Like the moment when Al "cries" - god I thought that was genius

As always, can't wait until the next episode!

(Shoot I just remembered I have vacation, dammit I have to wait for two weeks!! NOOOOO)

lol there is no ep next week....so your safe :)

awesome ep....cant wait to see recent chapters animat
suigetsu00Aug 17, 2009 3:32 PM
Aug 17, 2009 4:01 PM

Feb 2009
smokes said:
lol they showed Hohenheim only a few seconds and thats all lol.

plus his character is annoying... = doesnt seem like a father lol

Yeah I agree with you on that, from the lat episode, I thought it would be rather intimate and emotional between Ed and Hohenheim. The episode was good, but it was not all that was really meant to be, introduction of Hohhenheim in the last ep should have set the pace for this ep, but I just guess it did not happen, next ep looks good! XD
Aug 17, 2009 4:07 PM

Jul 2008
Wait, I'm confused. What the hell did I just watch?

Let me get this straight: Ed transmuted some random guy from the other side of the gate instead of his mother and didn't know until this ep. And somehow that makes things possible to get Al's body back and Izumi's son back...?

I don't understand how Ed didn't know what he transmuted wasn't his mother. And then why isn't his mother in her own grave? Where is his mother? Am I supposed to know these things by the episode? If not, please don't tell me.

TL;DR: I'm confused about ep 20, someone help without spoiling the series for me.
Aug 17, 2009 4:16 PM

May 2007
Wait, so if they didn't transmutate their mom, what DID they transmutate?
Like, some random body without a soul? :O Hmm.
Also, Ed's dig up scene was done brilliantly ;(

Aug 17, 2009 4:36 PM

May 2009
NoyaChan said:

Thats what i was wondering too. Also if what Izumi transmuted was the same thing, or maybe like something from the same family
Aug 17, 2009 4:37 PM

Jan 2009
lol... "why are we rushing so fanatically" this thought keeps chasing me from the 16-17 eps... geez. I even can't remember the dig scene in the manga.. and lol the manga and anime are really far away from each other (i'm talking about chapters and eps) the manga is spinning arpond the 40 and the anime is on the 20th ep..

I can't get it... and i really didn't like the back music, and some of the art. Something "revolutionary" must happen to take my love from the first series and magically transport it to the FMAB :D geez... what are Bones doing... They're so out of art, music, characters, drama, humor and so on...

If it goes this way to the last episode i'll kill myself of sadness.... (and again - such annoying music..)

Edit: oh yeah.. about the thing they've transmuted.. whats with this crap ?! i never saw that coming, anyway i'll be patient and stay put till the end ^^
SN00KYAug 17, 2009 4:41 PM
Aug 17, 2009 4:41 PM

Aug 2009
Oosran said:
ragnaroks said:
HawthorneKitty said:

I love Lan Fan's face.

Yeah that was win :D

Yeah it made my day : D Although Ling's face's not so bad either
I laughed real hard at that scene. It made my day aswell.

Although I didnt get one thing. I must have missed a scene. Can anyone explain why Edo was vomiting while digging? Is it from the smell of dead body or the fact that he was digging a dead body which made him feel bad?
porkypinkAug 17, 2009 4:45 PM
[right]

Aug 17, 2009 4:59 PM

Aug 2008
Melodrama.
He was sick with nervousness that he could have not transmuted his mother in the first place, and therefore losing Al's body for nothing. Maybe his joints hurt when it's about to rain like he said, but he was clutching his stomach and chest, and not his arm or leg. Much more emo and over the top than anything I've seen recently. A little hokey.
Aug 17, 2009 5:34 PM

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
Melodrama.
He was sick with nervousness that he could have not transmuted his mother in the first place, and therefore losing Al's body for nothing. Maybe his joints hurt when it's about to rain like he said, but he was clutching his stomach and chest, and not his arm or leg. Much more emo and over the top than anything I've seen recently. A little hokey.
I thought that was pretty nice man, really fits the mood of that scene - you can just see/feel the tension build up and Ed going a lil wacko XD
Aug 17, 2009 5:38 PM

Apr 2009
personally, thought it was done well as with the previous episodes.
Aug 17, 2009 5:41 PM

May 2009
Lots of juicy plot in this episode, can't help but say I miss Mustang when he misses an episode.
-=Dear gravity don't let me go, hold me like the winter holds the cold=-
Aug 17, 2009 5:42 PM
Jul 2018
hakufirefox said:

Let me get this straight: Ed transmuted some random guy from the other side of the gate instead of his mother and didn't know until this ep. And somehow that makes things possible to get Al's body back and Izumi's son back...?

I don't understand how Ed didn't know what he transmuted wasn't his mother. And then why isn't his mother in her own grave? Where is his mother? Am I supposed to know these things by the episode? If not, please don't tell me.

TL;DR: I'm confused about ep 20, someone help without spoiling the series for me.

Basically it was just Ed figuring out that it's impossible to bring back the dead no matter what. What he transmuted was a soulless body which is why Al was looking through it's eyes before Ed attached Al's soul to the armor. Ed and Al gathered the essential ingredients for a human but it was impossible to actually bring back their mother because, well...she's dead.Trisha Elric is in her own grave, dead. No possible way for her to be brought back. Same goes for Izumi's kid because her child is gone, thus when she performed the transmutation, she created a soulless human, not even really human for that matter.

Based on that, it's possible to get Al's body back because technically Al didn't die, his body was just taken away by the Truth. If Ed and Al can re-open the gate they opened when doing the human transmutation, they can get back Al's body because it's not dead, just kind of...I guess "resting".

I hope that helped a bit...
Aug 17, 2009 5:45 PM

Aug 2008
robbydesu said:
I thought that was pretty nice man, really fits the mood of that scene - you can just see/feel the tension build up and Ed going a lil wacko XD

Did you? I just thought it was too much. He was at a 10 that whole scene and I just couldn't really tolerate it. I had a problem with most of his actions/reactions at Reseembool. He was better at Central for me.
Aug 17, 2009 5:46 PM
Jul 2018
On my own note on the episode, it was good. Loved Ed digging up that..thing's bones. It was very dramatic, but I still loved it. For some reason, the background music during the ending scene with Ed and Al really caught my attention...I liked it a lot, not quite sure if it really matched the scene, but the music itself was pretty neato. Then Hoheinheim...haha I love him even though he's basically an insensitive jackass who can be kind of dorky at times. Hidden potential, ftw.

Needs more Xingese. :(
Aug 17, 2009 6:00 PM

Feb 2009
He might had a large back now but he's still a shorty.

I wonder if that wasn't the person they wanted to make, what or who was it?
Aug 17, 2009 6:17 PM

Nov 2008
hakufirefox said:

ed's mom has always been in the grave....i dont know how you thought she wasnt

NoyaChan said:

to both of you....they cant take something out of the gate that was never in there to begin with, example ed and al's mom and izumi's baby....they died they werent used as payment for a transumation like al....which is why ed can get al's body back....im pretty sure that with this ep what i just said no longer counts as a spoiler but if im wrong...sorry
Aug 17, 2009 6:30 PM

Jul 2008
lolodalonghorn said:
hakufirefox said:

Basically it was just Ed figuring out that it's impossible to bring back the dead no matter what. What he transmuted was a soulless body which is why Al was looking through it's eyes before Ed attached Al's soul to the armor. Ed and Al gathered the essential ingredients for a human but it was impossible to actually bring back their mother because, well...she's dead.Trisha Elric is in her own grave, dead. No possible way for her to be brought back. Same goes for Izumi's kid because her child is gone, thus when she performed the transmutation, she created a soulless human, not even really human for that matter.

Based on that, it's possible to get Al's body back because technically Al didn't die, his body was just taken away by the Truth. If Ed and Al can re-open the gate they opened when doing the human transmutation, they can get back Al's body because it's not dead, just kind of...I guess "resting".

I hope that helped a bit...

Thanks so much man, I get it now. :) Thanks for clearing that up.
Aug 17, 2009 6:36 PM

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
robbydesu said:

Did you? I just thought it was too much. He was at a 10 that whole scene and I just couldn't really tolerate it. I had a problem with most of his actions/reactions at Reseembool. He was better at Central for me.
At a 10? You mean being too extreme? XD

You don't like him in Resembool because...? My guess is~ because he's acting reaaaally childish/immature? :P
Aug 17, 2009 6:47 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah, too extreme. With the exception of the confrontation with Hohenheim at the grave. That was a fair, if not a little subdued, reaction.

I can't even call it childish or immature. It was just weird digging up his mother's grave. It felt like a totally different show. I really don't know what it was. Ed just wasn't acting at all like himself. I almost felt like I was watching Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde and Ed was about to change.
Aug 17, 2009 7:21 PM

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
Yeah, too extreme. With the exception of the confrontation with Hohenheim at the grave. That was a fair, if not a little subdued, reaction.

I can't even call it childish or immature. It was just weird digging up his mother's grave. It felt like a totally different show. I really don't know what it was. Ed just wasn't acting at all like himself. I almost felt like I was watching Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde and Ed was about to change.
LOL I guess XD

But it's not like we know specifically what Ed is like to "be himself". I mean, for anyone there are diff sides to the person. Plus we pretty much know the reaosn behind his behaviour - but yea I guess it is dramatic.....still like it though :P!
Aug 17, 2009 7:35 PM

Aug 2008
I disagree. Generally, Ed is an oversensitive, overcompensating albeit talented kid who likes to cover up for the fact that he (as Hohenheim wonderfully pointed out) ran away from the biggest mistake of his life by forcing everyone else to come to terms with their own realities. All that said his closer relationships prove how much of a child he is (not realizing he's in love with Winry, not opening up more to his family, short jokes, etc.) even though his is more than capable at his job.

This was a very important episode for Ed in that Hohenheim forces him to become more adult and to come to terms with his choices and its consequences, and I guess because it was more forced than natural that it felt awkward to me. This easily could have been separated into two episodes...or extended into a second episode, but even then, I don't think that would have fixed the issue I had with it. I guess that's just the nature of forced character development.

Comparatively though, Al's stuff went over much better...though I am getting tired of Al saying he wants to be more proactive and then pretty much choking/depending on someone else to bail him out.
Aug 17, 2009 7:40 PM

Jul 2008
HawthorneKitty said:

I love Lan Fan's face.

i love this had me laughing it could had been better i say weakest ep so far

3/5
Aug 17, 2009 8:33 PM

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
I disagree. Generally, Ed is an oversensitive, overcompensating albeit talented kid who likes to cover up for the fact that he (as Hohenheim wonderfully pointed out) ran away from the biggest mistake of his life by forcing everyone else to come to terms with their own realities. All that said his closer relationships prove how much of a child he is (not realizing he's in love with Winry, not opening up more to his family, short jokes, etc.) even though his is more than capable at his job.

This was a very important episode for Ed in that Hohenheim forces him to become more adult and to come to terms with his choices and its consequences, and I guess because it was more forced than natural that it felt awkward to me. This easily could have been separated into two episodes...or extended into a second episode, but even then, I don't think that would have fixed the issue I had with it. I guess that's just the nature of forced character development.

Comparatively though, Al's stuff went over much better...though I am getting tired of Al saying he wants to be more proactive and then pretty much choking/depending on someone else to bail him out.
Wait what? Am I missing something here?

I don't think I ever mentioned the idea of thinking this is not an important episode for Ed's (and Al's) character development. Of course Ed is growing up and this episode really shows a lot of that. But i don't think it's proper to say that "it's not like him" just because he matures - I think the concept of maturing is part of being a human being. It was bound to happen for Ed, I mean he's bound to mature sometime...and I guess now is the time (in your perspective, you probably would've wanted it to happen sooner?) .

Your description of Ed is kinda biased imo, since I think to some extent his personality sorta depends on our subjective views and beliefs. I dunno, I don't really like to dwell on sticking a bunch of adjectives or any sort of description on a character until I have gotten all of the information...meaning I've finished watching the series/reading the manga.

Even if I were to give a vague description of the character, I am fully aware of the fact that it is incomplete. So when it comes to seeing a character acting in a way that seems "out of character" - I can't really complain much or be too surprised because I give leeway in the idea of my preconceived opinion of "who that character is supposed to be like" being changed.

As for the time, that is a problem I guess. But I think we all know that "time" is something that BONES isn't handling very well with at the moment (you know, with all the constant complaints about it and how they cut out this and that).

So I think right now, I'm just grateful to see character development in Ed even IF it seems forced due to time issue - afterall....it's either this or FMA1. I don't remember seeing much meaningful character developments in FMA1....
Aug 17, 2009 8:52 PM

Aug 2008
LOL! No. The first part was a response to your post, and then the second one started a new (but I guess a bit random) thought.

I don't think Ed was maturing in that scene. His maturing was calling Isumi and dealing with her in the proper way, and then of course, at the end and the talk to Al. Normally he would have just shut him down and taken the burden on his own. I don't think I would have wanted to happen sooner necessarily, but to have so many people compare themselves to him without him take it to heart has been pretty annoying.

It is a little biased, but I think I balanced it with pointing out that he is very talented and beyond capable of his job. Ultimately, Ed is a child who forced himself to grow up too fast but wasn't mentally capable of dealing with what that meant even if he could complete the tasks given to him. I disagree though, 20 episodes into a series, the average viewer should be able to describe the main characters, and maybe even some character development. I don't think you need the whole series to say something definite about a character description. Unless it's a mystery based on not knowing said character.

I think it's incomplete also, and thus do give leeway, but when someone is acting especially strange or contrary, I either re-evaluate my picture of the character (as I have for Al) or see it as out of character. Sometimes characters acting out of character is in direct relation to development, but in this particular scene it was just weird, because this wasn't development as much as it was almost an allergic reaction of coming to terms with his past...very weird.

Yeah...but some of that could be fanboy whining about their favorite parts getting cut.... :D

I'll disagree there, there was a lot of development on the part of Ed in the first series. It was all much more understated, and focused on coming of age, but stuff like Ed killing Sloth, trusting Hohenheim, dealing with Hughes' death, and facing Mustang are all indicative of that. FMA did a better job of being about a handful of characters, while Brotherhood seems to be more about plot development.
Aug 17, 2009 9:13 PM

Jun 2009
noteDhero said:
I disagree. Generally, Ed is an oversensitive, overcompensating albeit talented kid who likes to cover up for the fact that

I think you have been misperceiving a lot of things here.

1. The biggest mistake of Ed is Al, not his mom. So yes, he did run away from the trauma (why Ed was clutching his stomach/vomiting - not the joint pain). But it was also true that he burnt the house for determination.
2. The fact that Ed is mature (he's basically an adult) should be undeniable. In fact, the issue was that he's too mature.
3. Hohenheim didn't 'force' him to deal with his actions. In fact, he basically exculpated him from the guilt of killing his mother.

On to the episode, I think digging scene was done well. Of course Ed won't act like himself, the events of that day are the lynchpin to Ed's character. What was forced about the scene, when it basically showed Shakespearean angst? A huge reaction in a traumatic situation, coupled with an important revelation, seems fitting. It was a nice climax, and the denoument was handled quickly but thoroughly (Ling on stairs was a nice touch).
Aug 17, 2009 9:22 PM

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
LOL! No. The first part was a response to your post, and then the second one started a new (but I guess a bit random) thought.

I don't think Ed was maturing in that scene. His maturing was calling Isumi and dealing with her in the proper way, and then of course, at the end and the talk to Al. Normally he would have just shut him down and taken the burden on his own. I don't think I would have wanted to happen sooner necessarily, but to have so many people compare themselves to him without him take it to heart has been pretty annoying.

It is a little biased, but I think I balanced it with pointing out that he is very talented and beyond capable of his job. Ultimately, Ed is a child who forced himself to grow up too fast but wasn't mentally capable of dealing with what that meant even if he could complete the tasks given to him. I disagree though, 20 episodes into a series, the average viewer should be able to describe the main characters, and maybe even some character development. I don't think you need the whole series to say something definite about a character description. Unless it's a mystery based on not knowing said character.

I think it's incomplete also, and thus do give leeway, but when someone is acting especially strange or contrary, I either re-evaluate my picture of the character (as I have for Al) or see it as out of character. Sometimes characters acting out of character is in direct relation to development, but in this particular scene it was just weird, because this wasn't development as much as it was almost an allergic reaction of coming to terms with his past...very weird.

Yeah...but some of that could be fanboy whining about their favorite parts getting cut.... :D

I'll disagree there, there was a lot of development on the part of Ed in the first series. It was all much more understated, and focused on coming of age, but stuff like Ed killing Sloth, trusting Hohenheim, dealing with Hughes' death, and facing Mustang are all indicative of that. FMA did a better job of being about a handful of characters, while Brotherhood seems to be more about plot development.
Okay before I forget, I have to say I laughed really hard at your description of Ed's "allergic reaction of coming to terms with his past" XD LOL...omg XD!!

Well I'm not saying he's "maturing" in that one scene, I think it contributes to him maturing...but it's not like it's in action in that particular scene XD. I think I was directing it towards the episode itself.

Heeeey~ just because you say he's "very talented and beyond capable of his job" doesn't mean that you aren't being biased ;P!! Yea I know what you mean, 20 episodes should be enough to have an idea of how a character is, but yet again - I still try to have leeway.

Tsk tsk, fanboy whining?! :(

Hmm as for FMA1, forgive me - I can't really remember much from it. Let's seee..the only things that I think are okay in terms of character development would be dealing with Hughes' death and facing Mustang. I guess killing Sloth is.....sorta...I dunno. I don't remember about him trusting Hohenheim...really?! I think the movie was pretty good in terms of development actually - but he's literally older though, so that's a bit different.

Brotherhood I think has a decent balance of plot and character development. I haven't really read the manga so I am purely basing this on just the anime series themselves. At the moment I am seriously enjoying Brotherhood a lot. But then again it's so hard to compare because I watched FMA1 when I was around 15-16 years old? My mentality then and now I believe is different...especially in terms of my taste in anime and my "expectations/requirements".
Aug 17, 2009 9:31 PM

Aug 2008
@fisher_88
I don't like quoting myself, but:
noteDhero said:

He was sick with nervousness that he could have not transmuted his mother in the first place, and therefore losing Al's body for nothing.

That's the mistake that I was referring to. I agreed with what Hohenheim said, that Ed was running away from what he did that night, because then he has to remember how he lost his brother and ruined the image of his mother. It's less so about his mother now that he knows that it wasn't she who he failed to bring back, but Hohenheim asking him if he had even checked that it was her was forcing him to check, and therefore relive those moments that made him outrageously sick in the rain.

Eh, I disagree that the angst is Shakespearean. It felt much more melodramatic. Especially because I think that by nature of it being shakespearean there has to be more writing that gives insight to the characters' feelings. Shakespearean characters aren't all that terse unless they have something to hide. It's a fine line, but I just didn't respond to it.

@Robbydesu
Haha!

Yeah, I finally came around and rewatched FMA in order (for the first time in my life) and I finally got a handle on the sequence of everything in that show. While he learned the truth about Dante and everything (especially after the disaster in Lior) he grew to acknowledge and at the very least, trust Hohenheim. It was definitely a strained relationship since he had to explain the love letter, but Ed believed him.

Honestly though, I'm enjoying them the same because they're strengths are completely different. Maybe as we get further along I'll enjoy Brotherhood more, but as for right now, they're equals.
noteDheroAug 17, 2009 9:37 PM
Aug 17, 2009 9:45 PM

Jun 2009
About the mistake, my point was that Ed sees everyday what his mistake was. It's not like he can actually forget.

noteDhero said:
Eh, I disagree that the angst is Shakespearean. It felt much more melodramatic. Especially because I think that by nature of it being shakespearean there has to be more writing that gives insight to the characters' feelings. Shakespearean characters aren't all that terse unless they have something to hide. It's a fine line, but I just didn't respond to it.

Please, that scene was nothing compared to his monolgues - that said, my point was that the angst actually reveals something really important (that's why I called it shakespearean), as compared to emo angst. It did not reveal something in Ed's character, but an important plot point (Al's body CAN be brought back). In fact, I really don't see how Ed developed much in this episode - everthing he did after that scene was already portrayed the previous episodes (also Al).

What it does though, is allow the story to move forward for the Ed and Al, who have been stuck since learning about Hughes - for all the development since then, they still had doubted if they can actually get their bodies back.
fisher_88Aug 17, 2009 9:48 PM
Aug 17, 2009 10:06 PM

Aug 2008
That's the other thing. There was no real reason to be angsty. Nervous and fearful, yes, but angsty? No. I don't think so. Ed developed in his relation with Al, as I said before. That conversation normally (and almost did) would have gone a different way: with Ed stating that it was his task alone to be dealing with getting his body back, deflecting Al's attempts to take blame and talk about getting Ed's arm and leg back. With Isumi, he was able to bring himself out of his thoughts and tell Isumi about what he learned. Maybe that's also a little development on Isumi's part, but since I'm not all that familiar with her, I don't think it's important to make an assessment there. Also, for the first time in this series, Ed has a plan. He knows what he needs to do to get Al's body back, and that's important, because, as you said, since Hughes' death, that main plot line has been stagnant. The fact that Ed (and Al) aren't hesitating anymore and are setting out to do something with confidence speaks towards a level of development achieved on Ed's part in this episode and Al's in the last episode. This is also indicative of Winry's surprise at Ed's "broad back." Lame I know, but effective nonetheless.
Aug 17, 2009 10:36 PM

Jun 2009
^^

yeah, there is - trauma: angst. Ed's realization needed an bigger reaction. I assumed he laughed because of how basic the revelation was, and the despair/hope thing (it could be others).

As for Ed/Al, I felt this was already addressed in the Scar/Barry and even Hughes episodes - in particular, the sharing thing was done in Barry thing already. Isumi was just an extension of their episode with her(re: knowing the truth thing). That Ed and/or Al have been too unto themselves has been a major thread of the anime. Maybe it was a development, but more like a proof of how they have developed rather than anything actually developing.

random note: the dog scene was a nice touch.
fisher_88Aug 17, 2009 10:56 PM
Aug 17, 2009 10:45 PM

Jan 2009
Interesting ep. Not as epic as the last but still fine.

Aug 17, 2009 10:50 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
good episode but i was ready to see the aftermath of Mustang x Hawkeye! i guess that'll be next episode thanks to the preview. i'm glad that Ed now knows for sure he can get back Al's body but now the question is HOW!?

i REALLY want to start reading the manga!!! but i think that'll ruin this anime...
p r o f i l e 👀
Aug 18, 2009 12:58 AM

Jun 2009
Oh yeah, question - where can I find good subs online? I've seen at least two versions with really different translations.
Aug 18, 2009 2:47 AM

Dec 2008
Good episode, liked the character development but Seeing Lan fan and Ling's face was epic :P
Aug 18, 2009 8:04 AM

Jan 2009
I really didn't like the director. The manga's awesomeness couldn't reflected in the anime. Like the digging scene were much better in the manga and also Ed's explanation to Al is waaay much better in the manga.

There were also many scenes that they're cut like the hair joke or when hoenheim said why pinako didn't question anything to him and much more...

I hope this would get better...

Score : 3/5
Aug 18, 2009 8:28 AM

Aug 2008
@fisher_88
What dog scene?

I use Eclipse...but that's because I prefer .avi. I'm not good at knowing the merits of specific sub groups.
Aug 18, 2009 10:58 AM

Nov 2008
noteDhero said:
@fisher_88
What dog scene?

I use Eclipse...but that's because I prefer .avi. I'm not good at knowing the merits of specific sub groups.

the only dog scene i noticed was when pinako's dog walks into ed's room as hohenheiim asks her about that thing really being their mother
Aug 18, 2009 11:18 AM

Jun 2009
suigetsu00 said:
noteDhero said:
@fisher_88
What dog scene?

the only dog scene i noticed was when pinako's dog walks into ed's room as hohenheiim asks her about that thing really being their mother

^^ this, only that the dog walked away from hohenheim (scared). this, coupled by the fact that he doesn't age and trisha's promise, plus he looks like the father, means... well it means that he is important to the story. He must be busy, seeing that he only came to warn Pinako, then left rightafter.
Aug 18, 2009 11:39 AM

Aug 2009
fisher_88 said:
. this, coupled by the fact that he doesn't age and trisha's promise, plus he looks like the father, means...

Was this secret about houenhiem already mentioned in the 20 episodes?

Well throughout this episode it did give some clues and hints about this when Aru(i think) was talking about how his body was not complete eternal and the scene switched to Houenhiem all of a sudden. but I dont think it was mentioned..
porkypinkAug 18, 2009 11:44 AM
[right]

Aug 18, 2009 11:51 AM

Jul 2008
a cool ep, but i thought it would be more emotional when ed meet hohenheim.
woah next ep looks promising too. maybe they can put al back in his real body this season , dont know eveything could happen. looking forward to it.

Aug 18, 2009 3:16 PM

Apr 2009
Im quite confused.. I guess i didnt catch was was going on. haha. They didnt bring back their mother, but some random guy? And now Ed has more confidience in getting Al's body back?

Tsktsk. Im so slow. :(
Aug 18, 2009 3:53 PM

Jun 2009
porkypink said:

Well throughout this episode it did give some clues and hints about this when Aru(i think) was talking about how his body was not complete eternal and the scene switched to Houenhiem all of a sudden. but I dont think it was mentioned..

well, I have no idea about the completely eternal thing, but clearly Pinako aged from the picture and Hohenheim didn't (plus she mentioned it). That, and Trisha's promise = Hohenheim doesn't age, at least not normally.

I'm not gonna speculate on what he is, because that is asking to be spoiled.
Shancakeschan said:
Im quite confused.. I guess i didnt catch was was going on. haha. They didnt bring back their mother, but some random guy? And now Ed has more confidience in getting Al's body back?

At best, alchemy can only transmute a body, not a person, certainly not a soul. That meant Al's soul in the armor was an actual soul Ed pulled out (from the transmuted body), not a copy or some other thing. Maybe some manga readers can clear up what exactly happened that night.
Aug 18, 2009 7:31 PM

Nov 2008
fisher_88 said:
porkypink said:

well, I have no idea about the completely eternal thing, but clearly Pinako aged from the picture and Hohenheim didn't (plus she mentioned it). That, and Trisha's promise = Hohenheim doesn't age, at least not normally.

I'm not gonna speculate on what he is, because that is asking to be spoiled.

just wait til you see his background story lol its epic

fisher_88 said:
Shancakeschan said:

At best, alchemy can only transmute a body, not a person, certainly not a soul. That meant Al's soul in the armor was an actual soul Ed pulled out (from the transmuted body), not a copy or some other thing. Maybe some manga readers can clear up what exactly happened that night.

this should be common sense but.....they cant take something out of the gate that was never there in the first place(example: ed and al's mom and izumi's baby)...as ed said to al in the manga(this got cut out so its not a spoiler) "i was wrong al, that night you were "taken" you didnt "die" so your body can be taken back"
suigetsu00Aug 18, 2009 7:36 PM
Aug 18, 2009 10:21 PM

Aug 2008
That's a bit of a spoiler. How are we supposed to know what is and isn't inside the gate?
Aug 18, 2009 10:28 PM

Nov 2008
noteDhero said:
That's a bit of a spoiler. How are we supposed to know what is and isn't inside the gate?

ok...it might be a bit of a spoiler...but im pretty sure any one who has been offered as a sacrifice for transmutation is in the gate like al, ed's limbs, and people used to make philosophers stones
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

968 by Jinx_Araragi »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Aug 9, 2009

357 by TheBrokenBoyy »»
Yesterday, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Ahenshihael - Aug 2, 2009

211 by TheBrokenBoyy »»
Yesterday, 5:24 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jul 19, 2009

196 by TheBrokenBoyy »»
Yesterday, 5:23 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

135 by wibugar »»
Yesterday, 3:15 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.