Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 13, 2009 3:30 PM

May 2007
noteDhero said:
Second most anticlimactic ending to an arc I've seen all year.
They basically said that the majority of the past 3 or so episodes were worthless.
Bad.

That's kind of what was going through my mind as well, though not as harsh as you stated. This arc should easily have ended last week, if not earlier. I'd figured as much it was all planned out by Horo.

Anyway, now that Horo was actually back on talking terms with Lawrence, I now realize how much this show suffers without her interaction. The second half of this show was so much more enjoyable with her witty comments.

Kind of glad this arc is over, but it did have its good points, especially with all the drama.
Aug 13, 2009 3:44 PM

May 2008
Awesome Episode.
Excellent Story
Aug 13, 2009 3:57 PM
Jul 2009
Most of my reactions are to other people's reactions, lol. As for the episode, they had weird timing. It feels anticlimactic to have the contract end just a few minutes into the ep, but the long conversation afterward, from the book, was going to take about ten minutes no matter what. I think they were just kind of stuck. The way I try to think of it is, the arc wasn't really about the merchant's duel anyway. It was really about Lawrence deciding how valuable Horo is to him, that she's not some random coincidence along the way (like Mark said), and for both of them to stop using Yoitsu so much as a cover for truly wanting to be together. So ending it with that reconciliation is just as well.

Responses to other viewers:

"Horo was trolling/teasing/making Lawrence struggle this whole time" - WRONG. She tried several times to reconcile with him along the way, but Lawrence was paranoid and untrusting. She even says angrily at the end, "You just couldn't let go of this business with that kid!" It wasn't a game to her; she was sincerely trying to make up with him.

"What unforgivable thing did Amarti say?" - Unconfirmed in the books. It would be cute for her to be defensive of a bad comment about Lawrence, but personally, I imagine it was something more like "OMG, you have a tail! Don't worry about it, after this I'll have a doctor cut it off for you..."

"About another 6 months to Yoitsu/1 season of show left" - Well, we just covered book 3 out of 12 just fyi. The anime is skipping book 4, in which they feel more bitter than sweet about the journey ending so soon. Long story short, in book 5/next anime arc, they'll be sidetracking away from Yoitsu to extend their time together :)

Also "will you be gentle"/"be as fiery as that doll, I won't mind" = HHNNNNNGGG
Aug 13, 2009 4:04 PM
May 2008
noteDhero said:
They basically said that the majority of the past 3 or so episodes were worthless.
Bad.

I'm not convinced that Horo was plotting everything all along--it could have just been a cover-up on her part at the end. She could have been genuinely hurt during their last confrontation, and wondering to herself if it was worth staying with Lawrence. After seeing what Amarty was (perhaps he badmouthed wolves or something), and seeing how Lawrence dealt with his feeling (and perhaps she her own), she decided to go back to him. Being Horo, of course, she would not do this without making the most of the situation, so she executed a scheme to make a fool of Amarty, assert her own independence from Lawrence, and make a good bit of cash. In this context, the arc is not completely overblown, but Horo maintains her position as a manipulator of the mortals. (note that she was not able to completely manipulate Deanna the bird goddess.)
Aug 13, 2009 4:44 PM

Dec 2007
israfel070 said:
It was really about Lawrence deciding how valuable Horo is to him, that she's not some random coincidence along the way (like Mark said), and for both of them to stop using Yoitsu so much as a cover for truly wanting to be together. So ending it with that reconciliation is just as well.

This. People who say that the other episodes of this arc had no meaning don't get the point of the events at all. How you could call them meaningless considering the amoung of character development we got is beyond me...
Aug 13, 2009 4:46 PM
May 2008
Charliehsv said:
israfel070 said:
It was really about Lawrence deciding how valuable Horo is to him, that she's not some random coincidence along the way (like Mark said), and for both of them to stop using Yoitsu so much as a cover for truly wanting to be together. So ending it with that reconciliation is just as well.

This. People who say that the other episodes of this arc had no meaning don't get the point of the events at all. How you could call them meaningless considering the amoung of character development we got is beyond me...

Here here. w00t for actual story and not just fan service ;)
Aug 13, 2009 4:54 PM

Feb 2009
I thought so, I mean she's Horo the wise something like that didn't suit her. All we were given was that baka Lawrence point of view almost made me hate one of my favorite female character!
Aug 13, 2009 5:28 PM

May 2009
adamantine said:
So I pretty much had a giant grin on during the entire second half of the episode. So much love for the end of this arc. :D

Same, I was like "lol happy face :D" when they were together in the room, this story shines when both of them are teasing each other like that. Their relationship is the key point of the whole anime.

Amarty should have a list of haters more than a list of lovers (aka favorites).
Aug 13, 2009 5:31 PM

Nov 2007
Yay, they're together again.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Aug 13, 2009 5:44 PM

Jun 2007
As expected, Horo made the deciding vote with her pyrite. I have to admit, I was pissed at how it concluded so fast. All they did was a quick summary of Lawrence giving Amarti the bag and that was it. I was expecting more of a confrontation between the two party's similar to how this whole arc started.

O well, at least Horo knows Lawrence's feelings now.

PS. wtf was up with Mazui's encoding this time? Media player classic got all messed up at two parts in the episode. I had to pull out VLC to watch it.
Aug 13, 2009 5:59 PM

Apr 2009
yes! I am so fucking happy Armati got stuck, not by just Lawrence, but Horo too! Loved the look on his face when Horo dumped all the pyrite on the trader's desk. !!!!!!!

Geeze and I love how much of a tease she is now, after hearing Lawrence's "question" about Gods and Humans....

Glad she is back and we are moving along, I was about to start punching babies if I was forced another week without Horo.
Aug 13, 2009 8:36 PM
Jul 2008
And so it finally ends. Good conclusion, even though it took a while to get there. Nice to see the show return to form after all the drama ^^

It was satisfying seeing Amarty get his come-upens. "That's what you get for trying to steal someone else's woman." Haha. Damn right. Maybe now he'll learn to pick his battles better ;)
Aug 13, 2009 9:22 PM
May 2008
Wonderful end to the first arc of this season. I really liked how it took something so simple and turned into a very complex piece of drama... but it's nice to see Holo with Lawrence again and being her playful/flirty/tease self.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Aug 13, 2009 10:59 PM

Oct 2007
J3T said:
Finally, the problem has been solved, yay!
Aug 14, 2009 12:04 AM
Mar 2009
I knew Horo would get back with Lawrence eventually but just not in this manner. Great episode, it turns out Horo was just putting on an act all along, stupid Lawrence. Well at least we get less Amarty and more Horo from here on.

P.S. Be gentle Lawrence :>
Aug 14, 2009 1:29 AM

Jul 2008
The fanboy side of me is saying its awesome they are back together, so that makes it a great episode. Yet the logical side of me is saying that it was a downright fucking retarded conclusion that was flat out anticlimactic. I feel as though I just wasted my time watching the drama being built up from the previous episodes. The ending gives you a nice warm feeling, but story wise it was just stale.

DeathfireD said:
PS. wtf was up with Mazui's encoding this time? Media player classic got all messed up at two parts in the episode. I had to pull out VLC to watch it.
It was just the opposite for me, I was having problems with previous releases and this one ran just fine.
Aug 14, 2009 1:54 AM

Mar 2008
robot256 said:
noteDhero said:
Bad.

I'm not convinced that Horo was plotting everything all along--it could have just been a cover-up on her part at the end. She could have been genuinely hurt during their last confrontation, and wondering to herself if it was worth staying with Lawrence.

I STRONGLY doubt this is true. Because, you know, she's too much in love already. The episode 0 was enough to picture how much and deep her feelings for Lawrence are. And as an absolutely normal person she of course wants a proof her feelings are not entirely unrequited. So, basically, the wise and impatient
wolf plotted everything including the conforntation from the very begninng, beacuse she does realise how dense and slow Lawrense is. This is just so natural for her character. At least, that's how I pictured her based on season 1. Maybe I'm totally wrong ^^

Charliehsv said:

What char development are you talking about? Lawrence realising his true feelings for Holo? Well, sorry but this single 'development' could have been done much better. And I think this is the actual reason why people complain - the direction of the arc was extremely poor. I guess most are dissatisfied with the arc dramatising so much and that long and then just bringing a brief 5-minute outcome. The balance is just so wrong. Besides, previous episodes did actually lack the new information a lot, they just put too many pauses with each chracaters staring at something/someone. Or inserted totally topic-unrelated and long dialogs. Boring. Bad direction is bad direction.
Aug 14, 2009 1:54 AM
May 2009
How the hell can a show about trading be so engaging? How does rising pyrite prices leave me on the edge of my seat?

Spice and Wolf remains as awesome as ever.
Aug 14, 2009 4:32 AM

May 2008
CUNTDESTROYER666 said:
FUCKIN ORGASMIC
Aug 14, 2009 4:39 AM

Oct 2008
This was really awesome, but is not actually good enough ending. They were put to much stuff on it and thrown some of detail away also too quick with the conclusion in the end.

Anyway could say that this Spice and Wolf make the boring stuff like trading business, setting on journey in attractive way

ps. watch the whole 20 minutes pass by as 5 minutes >.< i watch it twice today and don't get bore of it XP (time to wait for a whole week again)
Aug 14, 2009 4:51 AM

Jan 2008
Well that got resolved quite quickly, not that I'm complaining. The Wise Wolf Horo <3
Aug 14, 2009 5:17 AM

May 2008
So that kid likes Horo too? Never would have guessed...I think.

"This is your pusnishment for trying to steal someone else's woman." HAH. Take that, you little shit.

Aug 14, 2009 7:20 AM
Aug 2008
saxophone said:
Mikiyo said:
Falatorx said:
I think we're just as in the dark about what Amarty told Horo as Lawrence is. I don't imagine it is the "i love you thing" as he probably did feel that way. More than likely it was something bad about Lawrence and chances are Horo will eventually tell us before the series is done.

This. Totally ridiculous if it was the "I love you" from Amarty to Horo. Im pretty sure it was some bad thing about Lawrence.
I also have to agree with this.

Lawrence had strongly implied that "three times" Holo had "wept in his arms."

Amarty probably said something like, "I know Lawrence has violated your maidenhood three times, but I'm so generous I'm willing to marry a girl who *isn't* a virgin..."

And yeah, that is the kind of patriarchal comment that would anger Holo twice.
1) She is angry at Lawrence for not moving faster;
2) She is angry at Amarty for feeling generous and condescending.
Aug 14, 2009 8:14 AM
Feb 2009
rabbitpoets said:
But I kinda feel disappointed, because the way Horo explained it made it seem like a lot of the drama over the last couple episodes was unnecessary.
ShiroiRyu said:
Just loved...
Like the other episodes. **
And yes, when we are in love, we did unnecessary things. :s
lol
israfel070 said:
"What unforgivable thing did Amarti say?" - Unconfirmed in the books. It would be cute for her to be defensive of a bad comment about Lawrence, but personally, I imagine it was something more like "OMG, you have a tail! Don't worry about it, after this I'll have a doctor cut it off for you..."
wtf LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Falatorx said:
Most importantly perhaps, by casting the deciding stone herself, horo demonstrated that she actually wanted to stay with him instead of him winning and her being forced to by her debt.
nice say
flame_tiongAug 14, 2009 8:22 AM
oblivious is a bliss
Aug 14, 2009 2:03 PM

May 2009
Wow, Horo pwned everyone! I'm so happy she was just putting on a play! <3
Aug 14, 2009 2:38 PM

Dec 2007
Jigero said:
Also maybe Amarti said "Can I put it in your butt?" >.> unforgivable.

You sir, win.
Aug 14, 2009 6:22 PM

Dec 2008
Horo is such a tease..

hooray for happy arc endings.

i remember seeing the tension in this arc somewhere before. great that Lawrence was able to keep much of his cool this time around.
Aug 14, 2009 8:03 PM

Aug 2009
Sometime this show gives me too much of a dramatic feeling, but in the end it's worth it. I was not sure how the fuck Horo got that much pyrite? Then she was all hanging on Lawrence. WTF. I am an angry man, but in the end it was cute.
Aug 14, 2009 8:24 PM

May 2008
neotokyo said:
I was not sure how the fuck Horo got that much pyrite?

watch it again... wasn't that the pivotal key to the whole episode?

I am a banana.
Aug 14, 2009 8:27 PM
Jun 2008
I'm glad that the arc is over, but I felt it was really anti-climactic. I don't know; I just thought that all of that build up would have led to something more. I would have liked to see Amarti's humiliation first hand, rather than in a flashback. Oh well.
Aug 14, 2009 9:02 PM

Jun 2007
formosan said:
saxophone said:
Mikiyo said:
Falatorx said:
I think we're just as in the dark about what Amarty told Horo as Lawrence is. I don't imagine it is the "i love you thing" as he probably did feel that way. More than likely it was something bad about Lawrence and chances are Horo will eventually tell us before the series is done.

This. Totally ridiculous if it was the "I love you" from Amarty to Horo. Im pretty sure it was some bad thing about Lawrence.
I also have to agree with this.

Lawrence had strongly implied that "three times" Holo had "wept in his arms."

Amarty probably said something like, "I know Lawrence has violated your maidenhood three times, but I'm so generous I'm willing to marry a girl who *isn't* a virgin..."

And yeah, that is the kind of patriarchal comment that would anger Holo twice.
1) She is angry at Lawrence for not moving faster;
2) She is angry at Amarty for feeling generous and condescending.

I think it might have been something even more simpler then that. After all Holo does get angry over small things. Amarty could have made a comment about how she dresses, smells (ie. you smell like a dog when she's really a wolf), or possibly even made fun of Lawrence.

Regardless I think it's pointless to ponder over minor details like that.
Aug 14, 2009 9:06 PM

Aug 2008
I don't know why I laughed so hard reading your post Deathfire...but I did. Holo is quite petty.
Aug 14, 2009 9:08 PM

Nov 2007
Ahhh it all went well ^^, glad Horo and Lawrence and fine with each other although the last few minutes were going in a slightly different direction than economics =P but the revelation of Deanna surprised me, although it should have been obvious. Good episode overall.
Aug 14, 2009 10:26 PM

May 2009
And the problem is finally resolved. Lovely Horo returns and the show gets better the second half when she comes back. I was surprised to find out that Deanna wasn't human. Never crossed my mind, now that I think about it shouldn't be that surprising. Oh well. Good episode. <3
Aug 14, 2009 11:54 PM
Aug 2009
I want to see Deanna's true form now. I remembered wondering why she had all those damn feathers everywhere, and it turned out they'd actually explain why.

This was an AMAZING episode. It's just great how they can take the simple everyday life of trading in the old times and make it entertaining. Just goes to show that it's not necessarily the subject that determines whether a show is interesting, but its construction. S&W is awesome.

I was also strongly hoping that they would do it at the end of this ep. Guess I'll have to wait, but they'd better hop on it before the end of the season. I wanna see little Horences!
Aug 15, 2009 12:06 AM

Jan 2009
Gahhhh, it was all an act!! I should've known, Horo's too smart to fall for a schmuck like that.

Aug 15, 2009 12:16 AM

Jan 2008
The little kid saying he loved Horo was unexpected...
Aug 15, 2009 12:40 AM

Oct 2008
Reyno said:
I wanna see little Horences!

lolz lmao, but i wanna see it too :))
Aug 15, 2009 1:05 AM

Jun 2008
Great Episode , nothing more xD
Aug 15, 2009 1:06 AM

Aug 2007
kikuchimera said:
Reyno said:

haha. nice ep though it seemed rushed
Aug 15, 2009 1:29 AM
Jan 2008
Forever said:
Well, that was sweet but I feel a little bit disappointed because the resolution was so anti climatic. I feel they could have done this much better.

That's how all of season 1 was. I'm sorta glad. I like the easy-going nature of this show...
Aug 15, 2009 1:29 AM
Aug 2009
kikuchimera said:
Reyno said:

Haha.

Aug 15, 2009 2:28 AM

Apr 2008
rawrs .. wat a way to end the episode -.-

Aug 15, 2009 2:47 AM
Jul 2008
Awesome, the best episode so far.
Aug 15, 2009 5:16 AM

Dec 2007
YAY! for Horoness. I really liked this episode it really showed how smart Horo is and how much Lawrence overthinks things also Amarty got what he deserved xD. Really looking forward to the next episode and its foreplayness.
XephiferAug 15, 2009 5:20 AM
Aug 15, 2009 1:15 PM

Jul 2007
Can someone explain me how the trading work? Why did it "ended" when Horo and Lawrance both sold at the last time? I don't get it...
Aug 15, 2009 4:43 PM
Jul 2009
ragnaroks said:
Can someone explain me how the trading work? Why did it "ended" when Horo and Lawrance both sold at the last time? I don't get it...

demand & supply
so if demand is greater the the stock available the price goes up,
horo & Lawrence crashed the market cus the put such a large amount on the table which droped the price people were willing to pay
anyway love all of spice and wolf so far and can't wait for it to be released in the uk
cute pic any idear who did it?
Aug 15, 2009 5:08 PM

Jul 2007
spacedfuzz said:
ragnaroks said:

demand & supply
so if demand is greater the the stock available the price goes up,
horo & Lawrence crashed the market cus the put such a large amount on the table which droped the price people were willing to pay
anyway love all of spice and wolf so far and can't wait for it to be released in the uk
cute pic any idear who did it?

That explains it. And how about the buy on credit thingy?
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

vinesage - Sep 23, 2009

445 by patkarunungan »»
Today, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

vinesage - Sep 2, 2009

210 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Today, 3:05 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

vinesage - Aug 26, 2009

134 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 2:57 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

vinesage - Aug 19, 2009

189 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 2:25 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

dbaranyi - Aug 5, 2009

204 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 3:08 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.