Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 30, 2009 5:13 AM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I like how time is passing throughout this anime. They're not dragging things out and they're not rushing the story either.

Seems like Fumi is quite aware that something isn't right; she suspects Yasuko of being emotionally "involved" with someone else and she's pretty on the mark about it.

Points to Akira for being truly awesome. She totally wins this episode for trying to support her best friend and her best school friend who are both getting shafted by the same person. Seems like she will be the emotional support for girls who are supposedly more mature and experienced than she is, ironically.

Kyouko bursting into tears at the cafe was a pretty tough scene to watch. She seems to be putting up such a brave front, and it's kinda heart breaking when she realises that Yasuko is dating Fumi and she says that she totally misunderstood the entire situation. I like how she slowly starts to piece together everything. From seeing Yasuko blank her to run over to Fumi, and then realising that Fumi is always around whenever they have practice for the play, and then seeing the looks that the other two girls give one another. It must be pretty rough for her, seeing the person she loves and who rejected her actually in a relationship with someone else.

Yasuko seems to be a bit of a jerk though, in an unintentional way. Maybe it's because she's so carefree about what she does that she doesn't think about other people's feelings and the consequences of her actions. I laughed a little when Fumi upped and left; I think Yasuko was expecting her to stay and watch her practise longer. Though was pretty romantic of her to come and go out for a walk with Fumi near the hillside in the night. Damn, she's pretty smooth! No wonder she has a million fangirls.

Ten million points to this entire episode for showing a re-enacted scene from Le Petit Prince (which is an excellent book).
I'm with stupid.
Jul 30, 2009 3:11 PM

Jun 2008
Brilliant episode, you have to love the pacing!

Points to the whole anime being realistic in depicting the girls' feelings.
I also liked the scenes that weren't in the manga. The Little Prince is such a fantastic book and I think this scene contributed to the atmosphere.
Although, I think we're missing some scenes.

Nevertheless, this anime just makes me happy. Can't wait for more.
Jul 30, 2009 5:23 PM

Feb 2009
That play seems really DEEP for a gradeschool play.
Jul 30, 2009 5:54 PM
Jun 2008
Wow, I never really thought something could get this much better, but this anime is really like a fine wine. Every episode seems to the top the last, so I'm pretty happy about that.

The Yasuko fangirls were pretty amusing though. She's like Prince William or something.

Fumi's insecurities are something I think we can all relate to. She's a normal kid, a little on the naive and easy to manipulate side, but she's not stupid--she knows something is up with Yasuko. It's nice to see an anime address an issue of distrust in your partner without it blowing up to huge proportions. She has her doubts, but she's not lashing out. It could be a little passive aggressive though, but future episodes will determine what's going to happen.

And damn it, if Kyouko didn't get me feeling pretty badly this episode. I feel really, really sorry for her, but I doubt someone like her wants pity, which is why she keeps turning down Akira's help.
Jul 30, 2009 8:59 PM

Jun 2008
Another great episode. I mean I love how the relationship are starting to progress slowly by slowly, and they are not rushing out the story. Even though I would really like to see Aachan's relationship with Kyouko progress a little more. I haven't read the manga but I'm planing too. after the series has ended and I'll do a comparison as I do with all Yaoi and Yuri series. Just for the fun of it.

And It would be super awsome if Fumi chan found her true feelings for Aachan and once and far all ditched Sempai. I'm just speculating it's not like it's actually going to happen. :)

And of course, the relationship between Fumi and Yasuko, is getting stronger. Becauase Fumi was jelous of the whole Fanclub Yasuko has. I mean what did you expect you are dating the most popular Senpai in school. So I think she was bound to have a fan club.

I don't know why but Yasuko just seems to be more boyish to me every time. Maybe because I like Yaoi more than Yuri ?
Jul 31, 2009 2:28 PM

Nov 2007
I liked this episode.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Aug 1, 2009 12:34 AM
Dec 2008
I really liked this episode. Lots of the story covered, but without feeling rushed. The production quality was top notch... J.C.Staff really do have some of Japan's best animators. I'm so glad that they're doing this series, and handling the subjects so sensitively.
Aug 1, 2009 12:35 AM

Feb 2009
popnstuff said:
They're not dragging things out and they're not rushing the story either.

Completely with you on that. Can't stand it when they take three episodes for something that can be resolved in one. Love the show so far.
Aug 1, 2009 1:49 AM

Dec 2008
This show is great so far. Main characters were pretty cute this episode.
Aug 2, 2009 1:16 AM

May 2009
Yasuko gets all the bitches.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2009 11:51 PM

Nov 2008
Akira is an awesome friend.^^
Aug 3, 2009 3:23 AM

Oct 2007
Love the way they play with hair in this anime.
Aug 3, 2009 9:44 AM

May 2009
ZetaZeta said:
That play seems really DEEP for a gradeschool play.
I was thinking that too.

Good episode.
Aug 3, 2009 1:26 PM

Apr 2008
Hybrid00 said:
Yasuko gets all the bitches.

THIS.

Such a calming show. :) Very pleasant.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 3, 2009 1:50 PM

Sep 2007
Sugimoto is like a guy! A hot guy! @_@

Aug 3, 2009 2:44 PM

Oct 2007
Leticia said:
Will it burn you?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Aug 4, 2009 6:17 AM

May 2009
Another excellent episode.
So far the way that Fumi deals with her jealousy is refreshing and Akira is such a great friend.
Im glad that the little prince scene was added.Though I wish they had animated more of the scene on the train when Fumi thinks about her first love instead of leaving her thoughts to trail off. Then again it probably will be brought up again later in another episode.
Aug 4, 2009 2:02 PM

Oct 2008
Really calming episode
me likey

Sent with Mal Updater
じーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーっ
Aug 4, 2009 2:34 PM
Jun 2008
devilsskylark said:
Another excellent episode.
So far the way that Fumi deals with her jealousy is refreshing and Akira is such a great friend.

:0 I know right! If this were some sort of typical anime, she'd have turned into a yandere bitch by now. Thankfully this anime is a lot more emotionally mature than the other moe messes that pass for romance.

I think Akira is just a general all round amazing person. I mean, she cares about her friends, the both of them, so much that she'd go out of her way to make them comfortable. Even if she doesn't know how to comfort them, at least she's trying.
Aug 4, 2009 4:04 PM

Oct 2007
tehnominator said:
I think Akira is just a general all round amazing person. I mean, she cares about her friends, the both of them, so much that she'd go out of her way to make them comfortable. Even if she doesn't know how to comfort them, at least she's trying.

And that is what making her ever more awesome.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Aug 4, 2009 10:40 PM

Jun 2009
Thats was a strong episode!
Love this anime more and more with each episode!
and IT IS UNDERRATED!:(
Aug 5, 2009 12:40 AM

Aug 2008
Amazing! Akira is getting fairly confused as she get sucked into this web, I wonder who she'll end up with?

Aug 5, 2009 6:47 PM

Jun 2009
Damn, Yasuko! A natural player, if I ever saw one.

Despite the 'everyone is a lesbian' syndrome and the overthinking, I'm liking this series.

'they make such a racket about it because they don't really like her.'

That's a great line! I was wondering a little why they are showing so much of the fanfare around Yasuko, and the last part really makes good on that build-up.
fisher_88Aug 5, 2009 6:52 PM
Aug 14, 2009 6:28 PM

Jul 2008
fisher_88 said:

Despite the 'everyone is a lesbian' syndrome and the overthinking, I'm liking this series.

Well, actually, so far all I see is the expected fangirl-ing of the most 'handsome' girl in an all girls school. Then there's three out of the rest who have the true feelings needed, if you understand what I'm trying to say.

At least it doesn't have that syndrome as bad as Starwberry Panic did. :/

As for the episode, I agree with Tehnominator. It's like the more it progresses, the better it becomes. Each episode tops the last, and I simply love the pacing of it all. Really, I can't appreciate it enough. :D
Aug 15, 2009 5:17 AM
May 2008
Alright episode but there isn't much too the show besides the characters and they're falling into cliches as things progress just in a yuri way. Pacing seems fine but it's kind of hard to ruin the pacing of a series like this.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Aug 15, 2009 8:58 AM

May 2008
pfft , hehe this is getting to be a little interesting lols

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 16, 2009 10:06 PM

Dec 2007
This episode has a nice pace, and it has an interesting relationship for these characters.
Aug 18, 2009 12:42 PM

Aug 2008
Those little papparazzi girls are creepy.

I agree about what the blond was thinking. They make a ruckus because they don't really care.

Yasuko is still my favorite, especially because of the scene with Kyouko near the end.
Aug 19, 2009 5:15 AM
Jun 2008
NeloDeath said:
Alright episode but there isn't much too the show besides the characters and they're falling into cliches as things progress just in a yuri way. Pacing seems fine but it's kind of hard to ruin the pacing of a series like this.

"...things progress just in a yuri way."

What...? If you mean that the lesbian girl is acting like a... lesbian, then where's the problem in that?

Pray tell, what exactly does a yuri way mean? Are you referring to the conventions of yuri? If that's so, I took the liberty to just check and see what yuri you have in fact seen and the only yuri titles you've completed are Burst Angel and Mnemosyne. The former is a fanservice action/mecha with no romance. The latter is a fantasy/sci fi fanservice gore-fest anime with explicit yuri. This is Aoi Hana. Unless you're watching some version I don't know about where Fumi pilots a Unit 01, Akira is an immortal with super human strength and where Yasuko is a pimp of the underworld, bedding every female that appears in the anime, then I got no idea how Aoi Hana could be interpreted under the yuri conventions you've seen in those two other anime.

If you are trying to say that the girl got the girl as "a yuri way", then no, that is NOT a "yuri" way. If you know anything about the genre, you'd know that most yuri ends one-sidedly or in misery or the characters never officially get together.

What clichés are we even talking about in the first place? The fact that a girl got jealous over her girlfriend, and then proceeded to... handle it logically...and reasonably? Wait, my brain is confused--that never happens in anime!! If this were a clichéd anime, what would have happened is a verbal showdown between Fumi and Yasuko in which Fumi starts to bawl and scream and act melodramatic and then she and Yasuko wouldn't speak for a week while they both angst and then they awkwardly try to make back up and then things return honky dory by the next two episodes.

None of that happened. In fact, the progress of this anime is so different and it is maturely handled as compared to other romance and especially compared to other yuri anime.

Hell, even Kyouko's actions in this episode was the furthest thing from clichéd. If you were a girl who just got spurned and you see the object of your affections with someone else, what do you do? If this was another anime, Kyouko would have turned into a bitch, confronted Fumi, proceeded to treat her badly and tried to sabotage everything. Did this happen? No.

She in fact tries to be pleasant to Fumi and because she can't be as gracefully strong as she thinks she could be, she ends up bursting out into tears in front of Akira--not Fumi, so she didn't go the other route and turn into a snivelling whiner to Fumi either. And she even admitted that Fumi was a nice person after speaking with her. WHEN DOES THAT EVER HAPPEN? At least, when does it ever happen so early? Most of the time, it takes the character half the series to concede that the other person is better. But Kyouko is a smart girl. She knows from the get-go what sort of person Fumi is and that Yasuko has made a good decision for a girlfriend.

You need to watch more anime and need to watch more yuri before you make assessments like that. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying your commentary is off the mark and thus invalid.
Aug 19, 2009 5:42 AM
Dec 2008
Nicely put tehnominator. Aoi Hana is not typical of the yuri genre in that it's quiet, gently paced and unassuming. It's also honest and open about its lesbian romances and unrequited crushes. This is exactly what makes it so special. I just wish I could find more stories of this type and quality... be it yuri or hetro.
Aug 19, 2009 12:54 PM

Apr 2009
Agreed that Akira is awesome.
Aug 30, 2009 8:48 PM

Aug 2006
as an 11 episode-long series I felt the events are happening a little too fast but somehow they manage to keep an exact balance between a slow-paced series and something rushed. Gotta love the characters' expressions. Excellent job in the animation.
And the OP is so warm and fuzzy (and even better if you associate it with hot-yet-calm yuri love).

Sep 24, 2009 11:57 AM

Aug 2008
Miluiel said:
Brilliant episode, you have to love the pacing!

Points to the whole anime being realistic in depicting the girls' feelings.
Leticia said:
fisher_88 said:
'they make such a racket about it because they don't really like her.'

That's a great line!
stickymochi said:
Agreed that Akira is awesome.
Velcor said:
Gotta love the characters' expressions. Excellent job in the animation.
And the OP is so warm and fuzzy.
All of this.

NeloDeath said:
Watch Vampire Knight and tell me if it's hard to ruin the pacing of a romance series. I also don't understand the "cliché in a yuri way", because I don't see anything cliché in this series! Actually, it's more on the realist and unique side, I'd say.

Dec 28, 2009 11:40 PM

May 2008
I just need to say I don't really like how phone conversations are handled, visually. The constant cuts are jarring enough without them also clashing with the style of the rest of the series.
Apr 8, 2010 9:37 PM

Aug 2007
Gawers said:
Love the way they play with hair in this anime.

+1 on that for a pretty realistic interaction between characters :)
May 21, 2010 12:53 PM

Jan 2010
aww, i feel bad for Kyouko D:
popnstuff said:

Yasuko seems to be a bit of a jerk though, in an unintentional way. Maybe it's because she's so carefree about what she does that she doesn't think about other people's feelings and the consequences of her actions.
i think the same.
Nov 25, 2010 4:30 PM

Jul 2008
I liked Fumi's ponytail.
Dec 25, 2010 6:19 PM

Apr 2010
So, the only lesbian is Fumi, but still Sugimoto gets WAY too much attention from girls? LOL Well, that's weird :) I mean, is it SO normal to be attracted to a girl? No, no, I'm not bashing gay people, I'm just asking ;__;

Ok episode.

Mar 27, 2011 9:38 PM

Mar 2009
Nice episode. The whole tension regarding Sugimoto makes it interesting.
Mar 6, 2012 5:16 PM

Feb 2012
As others have said, I really love how realistic everything is in this anime. Everything from the insecurities, to the characters and their relationships. Because I am such a big Fumi fan, I really wish Yasuko x Fumi would work. I loved when Yasuko was playing with Fumi's braids, and the girl seems to make Fumi happy... which is all I want! But Yasuko seems to have this outlook on love that makes her seem immature. Like she had her heart broken by her first love so she moves through these relationships with ease, just enjoying the fun of it, and not really getting too caught up in it all.

Aa is in a pretty tough position to be in, but a lot of us have been there before. That awkward "in the middle" person who has to try and keep things together. She's doing a pretty good job from what it seems, and is just an all around pure and nice person.

5/5
Jun 18, 2014 11:03 PM

Apr 2012
Achan is a great friend <3

Also Sugimoto makes everyone in the school look like they all swing that way lol.

Terrific pacing/ relaxing watch

Aug 18, 2014 3:32 AM

Nov 2011
I need insulin.

This is why you can never go wrong with tall girls.
Nov 17, 2014 10:44 PM
Jun 2013
I kinda feel like all these girls being into Yasuko takes away from Fumi's "coming out" . It's just not that big of a deal as I thought it was. This episode reminded me of Strawberry Panic a bit how all of the girls were drooling over Shizuma and Amane. The lesbian love doesn't seem like a big thing now. Idk, maybe it's just me.
Apr 13, 2015 11:15 PM

Sep 2014
Man, I wish I had a friend like A-chan.
Jun 3, 2015 10:48 AM

Nov 2013
surferrosa said:
So, the only lesbian is Fumi, but still Sugimoto gets WAY too much attention from girls? LOL Well, that's weird :) I mean, is it SO normal to be attracted to a girl? No, no, I'm not bashing gay people, I'm just asking ;__;

It depends. Being gay, bi, pan, demi, ace or anything is pretty common if people are taught enough about different sexualities.

You also need to remember it's all girls school so there isn't any guys of their age. Sugimoto has pretty androgynous look so it isn't any surprise that all the girls have a crush on her. But that just a crush; or more like a fantasy, not a factor that would define their sexuality or wanting them to actually date Sugimoto.

Anyways this series has so far made me feel really calm on the inside especially now when I have been really stressed out lately.

+Akira is an angel
Jan 3, 2016 10:05 AM

Dec 2013
honestly the show is decent but I think you yuri fans put way too much emphasis on the yuri aspects. I can tell what will realistically happen A-chan isn't interested in a relationship at all. Fumi, has a crush and all she seems to ever be around is girls so yeah, she is going to crush on a girl. Senpai is just confused after crushing on her MALE teacher and looking for a safe zone, it won't last. The blond chick who is engaged, well she already said it herself at the end of the episode she is just like all the other girls. Too many of you mistake admiration for love. So far, I see a bunch of girls who are in an all girl environment who develop innocent feelings for other girls I don't see any of these relationships at this point being serious in the long term.
May 5, 2016 5:15 PM

Jan 2014
Nice episode... A-chan is my favorite so far.
Apr 6, 2017 5:51 AM
Jan 2012
Akira is so great. Judging by the poster, I was under the assumption this would be a love story about Fumi and Akira, but I guess not? Only six episodes to go and not a lot of development about them. This is fine, though. I am enjoying the ride very much.
Apr 13, 2017 7:31 AM

Jun 2013
I wonder how far Acchan will have to go to support her friends, like, when will she reach her limit of dealing with other people's emotions. It's likely that she'll be strong enough to bear it on her shoulders the whole time, but it could be interesting to see if she ever falters.

I suppose Sugimoto might have had a point, when she raised the first love argument. Each of the three girls have gone through their first love and suffered because of it, so it's not entirely wrong to ascribe Kyouko's emotional state to that. Still, I don't think she is fully aware of her effect on people, and that she might have more responsibility to bear. That's not to say she's responsible for other girls feelings, but she is responsible for her own actions. For example, she seems to enable and lead on girls too much. In a way, she really can be cruel, even when she mistakenly believes that she's being kind. Intention isn't all that matters. She isn't completely oblivious, though, which could be a good thing.

I want to commend these past episodes for executing the concept of "normal" girls falling for a popular girl in a really solid way. It's understandable that Fumi has a hard time trusting Sugimoto, considering her terrible past experience. And how Kyouko has trouble accepting that Sugimoto doesn't like her, thus trying to come up with an explanation.
Mar 25, 2020 4:30 AM

Aug 2018
Well, yeah.. Sometimes watching two loving persons can be very sad.. Love isn't always light.. Sometimes it's tragic..
If girls are very loud about it.. it's not love, you say, Kyouko?.. Honestly, I'm more on the side of "true" love being heavy myself.. But there is no "true" love, really.. Some become more energetic with love.. Some inspired.. Some unsure.. Some anxious.. Some feel it the other way.. Not like I'm criticizing you here, or anything.. Just really saying, how things are, maybe, it appears to me.. I'm more on the other love myself, maybe on your side, really..
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MRLX69 - Jul 1, 2009

129 by hagukoko »»
Mar 14, 9:22 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Fugles - Sep 9, 2009

127 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 7, 11:38 AM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starrysky - Aug 12, 2009

65 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 6, 6:23 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireReaverX - Jul 15, 2009

74 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 5, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - Jul 8, 2009

80 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.