Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 23, 2014 9:17 PM

Mar 2014
Man I wish I could erase me mind and re-watch higurashi xD
Apr 23, 2014 10:14 PM
Feb 2013
Crowlage said:
Man I wish I could erase me mind and re-watch higurashi xD

Don't we all.
May 6, 2014 2:47 AM

Apr 2013
Getting answers and getting confused at the same time. Somehow it is a Revelation, that this drug is actually a parasite, but on the opposite it's not something entirely new in the way, that we already knew that something was going on with those syringes everywhere, we just thought it was a drug.

But I like that theory, that the others always wanted to help and give him the vaccine, it would be a nice twist! xD
May 17, 2014 6:37 AM

Jan 2014
Rena's nice detective work xD
Aug 8, 2014 4:49 PM

Aug 2013
This is just stupid, parasites my ass, the demon and god angle is far more interesting. LAMEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Sep 24, 2014 8:37 AM

Aug 2013
chillock said:
This is just stupid, parasites my ass, the demon and god angle is far more interesting. LAMEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

You are lame.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 21, 2014 3:31 AM

Apr 2013
Parasites? Lame. I really hope that isn't the answer. Instead of something supernatural and mysterious they go with a scientific and logical answer. I hope it's just a smokescreen.
Nov 2, 2014 10:03 PM

Nov 2013
Oooh parasites...

The plot points continue to slowly fall into place...

Takano is still as sexy as ever! ♥

Fascinating episode! Only two more episodes before I'm done with this season and it will finally get less mindfucky!

Feb 6, 2015 7:50 PM

Jan 2014
DeathfireD said:
I'm thinking the stuff they said about volcanic gas also plays a role in how the bugs started the infection and stay alive. As Rina mentioned, the bugs can only survive in there village. So I'm guessing the gas might be the cause of that.

Also I think the people "going crazy" may not necessarily be the ones going crazy. For example the first ark in the beginning of the series; Rina and Mion attack Keiichi and try and stab him with a needle while the doctor and that white van are outside the house. What if he was the one going really going crazy and they where only trying to give him a shot to kill the bugs or at least subside the crazy thoughts? This would also explain why Rika tried to stab Shion with a needle as well. Rika must have been aware that Shion was being overwhelmed by the bugs and wanted to help her. This also explains why the doctor wanted to give Keiichi a shot in his ark.

I'm only guessing but the people that kill are probably taken in to the hospital and then give a shot and forced to leave the village or are locked up somewhere in the hospital for tests on how to completely cure it.

Wow this was a great ep.

This is a pretty good theory, but is this really the same arc as before? I had to check to make sure I was watching the right episode O.o
Mar 2, 2015 7:28 PM

Aug 2014
It's call finally starting to make some damn sense.
Mar 23, 2015 4:51 AM
Nov 2014
God damn parasites.
Apr 17, 2015 12:07 AM

Nov 2011
I don't mind we get most things explained, but cramming it all into one episode was not the best way to go about it.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 30, 2015 12:21 AM

Feb 2013
Pretty interesting, so I guess that's why people are clawing their own throats out. I'm assuming the drug that they're injecting people with is some form of the parasite that they're trying to revive.

It also would explain crazy Rena and Mion in the first arc, so maybe this arc actually is gonna tie in with the first one, we'll see.
May 17, 2015 7:40 PM
Jul 2018
WolfWood37 said:
I mean every story has a beginning middle and end, they don't hit the reboot button multiple times through the same story to tell alternate versions...unless it's something like Groundhog Day were you live the same day over and over. So what I'm saying us that unless there is really is some sort of magic/mystical element here that's been hinted at in every arc, the multiple arcs do not make sense.

It could be a very far-end idea but since the events tie in with each other, they may be living in a repeated cycle. Maybe that's the way the Higurashi realm works. But there's so many possibilities...

Well, I like this parasite theory. It explains a hell of a lot of what's been going on and what causes these sudden snaps of psychosis. Yet I can't help but think the writers are gonna pull another string on us and discredit this theory...somehow.

That's why this anime is so addicting. You never really know until you reach the end. I'm sure kai will provide even more answers.
Aug 8, 2015 4:38 AM
Jan 2013
lsumi said:
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT KILLER BUGS AAAAARGH question it might sound weird but does those bugs/parasites rly excist ??? i hope not Y_Y

next ep ( pls no killer parasite onegai!!!)

Grtz lsumi

(WARNING: This stuff can be creepy in some way...)
Aug 10, 2015 10:54 AM

Oct 2014
Huh, that was really interesting. Definitely cleared up a lot. Rena is turning into a likeable character for sure!
Sep 3, 2016 2:18 PM
Nov 2010
dvl_ said:
I still think this arc is worse than the previous ones. It kinda goes off the track - first showing Rena's attitude to her father's actions, explaining her family background and suddenly we have a RIDICULOUS theory about parasites being the cause of the whole Hinamizawa craziness? Come on, this is stupid.

I'm not sure if this is a red herring or not. Certainly there's no specific reason to think it's what's "actually" going on (yet), but hard to say what's going to happen.

If the answer is "just" parasites then... I'm having flashbacks to midichlorians all over again ^.^
Jan 3, 2017 2:00 AM

Sep 2016
biooterrorismmm detective rena on the case
Facta Non Verba
Sep 8, 2017 4:14 AM

May 2015
So the parasites. Not bad.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 8, 2018 5:59 AM

Sep 2017
Finally, the mystery is revealed. Well, not completely, but at least we get a hint. I hope they explain more and about the different arcs. If they don't, this will be just a point to point VN adaptation.

And Ooishi is quite suspicious. He is definitely having so much freedom of investigation for someone getting close to the truth.

Bioterrorism. It has been a very very long time since I have seen something with that as a plot point. 10 years, to be exact. I think that the horny woman finally accomplished something after all. But maybe those parasites have something to do with going back in time??? Fingers crossed for Edge of Tomorrow reference.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 15, 2019 6:09 AM

Aug 2018
Oh wow another plot twist. So basically there's no Gods and there's no demons, it's just a parasite and a bunch of fanatical humans. This explains the clawing of one's neck with their nails. The maggots looking thing in the blood might be a side effect of the parasite or it could just be hallucinations. I suppose hearing sounds like footsteps is also another symptom of the parasite.

I'm guessing all the people in the three main families are compatible with the virus. It would be beneficial to them if they're the only ones allowed to go and come to the village, they'd have all the power. The shrine that is locked may have been the place where they used to pull out people's intestines and make vaccines.

One supernatural aspect that hasn't been explained yet is Rika's ability to see into the future. She also claims to be Oyashiro-sama's reincarnation so honestly I'm not sure whether the God is real or not at this point.
<Insert clever quote>
Aug 1, 2019 2:40 PM
Apr 2016
Damn, this episode was a giant pile of information. Seems like logic was behind Mion's, Shion's, and others' "demon" state; the parasite infection was behind it. Great plot twist.
Dec 27, 2019 7:03 PM
Dec 2019
This is make sense now and I've theory concept idea to this anime that actually in previous arc

Some scene could be truth and have connections to this arc with the other bizarre arcs were Keichi always die probably, those arc made for confusing us so we never realize the true information on each arc eps, like "twilight zone" stuff, fore tales or dreams to made us believe on Oyashiro demon curse or ghost exist ..

First arc and so on make us believe in such curse or paranormal things really happen in that village and keep confusing us while adds true information and mixing it with false information storyline.

then continue with arc that telling past with true information and finally link it with story line that trully happening.. this is just like reader response, were we find little information in each eps but only some of them are true.

so, we as viewer need to analyze which one the true information is to linked with other scene to made the true storyline
myBoneismySwordDec 27, 2019 7:19 PM
Mar 20, 2020 3:52 AM

Dec 2013
Oh, seriously didn't expect about that Parasites part at all.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Mar 23, 2020 6:25 PM
Sep 2019
What this has to do with the previous storyline of Rena killing those two? It felt like I was watching a new arc, but I don't think that is the case.
By episode 24/26 it finally dawned on me: I am so bored by the story that my mind wanders while watching and I miss pieces of information.
Mar 27, 2020 3:33 PM
Mar 2020
Who's else is watching higurashi no Nakj Koro ni in 2020? I started to watch Tuesday and now I'm finishing.
I liked the story a lot, even with the bunch of arcs (:
Apr 24, 2020 1:20 AM

Feb 2018
I will start to like Rena.
May 5, 2020 6:35 PM
Apr 2019
Talk about a watershed episode; all this time, I truly believed that the curse was paranormal but now I get it; 10/10
May 26, 2020 12:44 PM

May 2018
It's always the damn parasites xD

Man, does this have any relevance to the first arc in any way?
Jun 26, 2020 7:23 AM

Apr 2020
Oh. Is it really an answer arc for the first question arc? I don't think so. The spirited away arc is not really confusing and doesn't hold so much question like the other question arc. So, I think the first arc (Spirited Away) answers are scattered in the other question and answer arcs.
Jul 12, 2020 10:55 PM

Aug 2018
Its nice that we learn alot of information about the history of the village! This is very interesting!

Aug 28, 2020 4:58 AM

Feb 2020
poor keichi he's now finally aware of the timeline he killed rena and mion. damn, it was just a pen? to think how delusional he must've been..

is rika the reincarnation of the oyashiro-sama lol

Sep 4, 2020 12:26 AM

May 2016
We are getting close to the climax.
Sep 15, 2020 8:12 AM

Apr 2013
That was a lot of information. What irks me though is, that the events this time don't fit with the first arc at all as I assumed. This is something completely new again? Another timeline? Two episodes left to solve this...
Oct 19, 2020 8:50 AM
Oct 2019
Nani?? Parasite???
Holy shit Takano Miyo doing great research...
Oct 23, 2020 1:26 AM

Jan 2020
The so called Oyashiro-sama is actually a doctor? And parasites are what make the villagers go insane? A pretty decent plot twist in my opinion. Not all of this is actually supernatural, which I'm happy about.
Oct 29, 2020 12:33 AM

Apr 2020
It is kind of satisfying to get a scientific explanation to supernatural activity.
Those fakes cant fool Rena! Is she going to go on a murder rampage again?
--AbiSa--
Oct 29, 2020 7:04 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I never expected these revelations happen on these episode. I thought its happening on the second season. Its really caught off my guard. Its really explain what the actual fuck was goin on with the berserk, and the madness that happened to the girls. So, this was the reason, eh? Parasite from the endless swamp, and a bunch of fanatic peoples didn't want the fact to be spread. It might be a fraction of Sonozaki family that did that. It seemed the oni blood line cause all of the virus mutation into their blood line too, and the result? Like what happened to Shion, and Mion in the second arc, and then the first arc too when the girls became mad to Keiichi. The injection syringe was actually a swamp waters that full of parasite. Yeah, it revelations seemed pretty interesting....

All of them getting infected. Omg what a twist, its really surprised me a lot. From the cursed supernatural being, then suddenly became a sci-fi one with a lot of hidden sickness and disaster happened to the whole village. Idk what else to be commented. All just a complete messed up. And yes, i completely aggree with Keiichi wishes at the third arc. Hinamizawa village was a true disaster XD.

That end shadow, tho. I wonder if that was Keiichi and Rena again? Killing each others? Damn shit, then! They got corrupted!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 2, 2020 12:38 AM

Oct 2016
Damn, I did not expect parasites to be the reason for all the insanity. But, it do make sense though. Maybe the injections we see before isn't actually to give the disease but, to cure it. But, there's still definitely more to it than that. They gave us answers but, again along with those answers there are more questions.

I am really interested in how they are gonna go about this things. What exactly is in that document 34. I for one welcome if it's all science or if there's supernatural shit going on here, or both. Let's fucking go.
Mar 14, 2021 12:58 PM

May 2020
This parasite thing is really interesting. I never would've suspected it, but I'm glad it confirmed my suspicions about the curse not being some supernatural act of god.
May 26, 2021 4:38 AM

Oct 2016
As someone who read the novel, I find this episode interesting. There are many details in novel, but the episode managed to wrap it all up and only showed the essential parts. It's definitely a better adaptation than the previous two episodes. Prepare for the revelation in the next last two episodes, folks!
Jul 6, 2021 6:47 PM

Mar 2017
Man I'm getting some strong vibes from Ousama game after this episode. I hope they don't fuck it up, I'm loving this anime.
Aug 8, 2021 7:35 AM
Jan 2020
DeathfireD said:
I'm thinking the stuff they said about volcanic gas also plays a role in how the bugs started the infection and stay alive. As Rina mentioned, the bugs can only survive in there village. So I'm guessing the gas might be the cause of that.

Also I think the people "going crazy" may not necessarily be the ones going crazy. For example the first ark in the beginning of the series; Rina and Mion attack Keiichi and try and stab him with a needle while the doctor and that white van are outside the house. What if he was the one going really going crazy and they where only trying to give him a shot to kill the bugs or at least subside the crazy thoughts? This would also explain why Rika tried to stab Shion with a needle as well. Rika must have been aware that Shion was being overwhelmed by the bugs and wanted to help her. This also explains why the doctor wanted to give Keiichi a shot in his ark.

I'm only guessing but the people that kill are probably taken in to the hospital and then give a shot and forced to leave the village or are locked up somewhere in the hospital for tests on how to completely cure it.

Wow this was a great ep.

I know this is really late and i have loved the series so far, but when Rika got stabbed by her own needle she completely got weak and flanky, i dont think the needle is a cure for the virus or some sort. Either way it's a nice suspicion
Dec 20, 2021 7:51 PM
Dec 2017
another nice episode i say

Dec 25, 2021 11:01 AM

Jun 2020
The layers are withering out and we are nearing the core. Awesome. This episode had many revelations altogether.
Mar 2, 2022 9:57 PM

Jul 2019
Whoa, first a lot of familiar little things ("I have a conditioner in my car", Takano-san papers in the library, white van) and then biological terrorism out of nowhere? At this point I can't picture how the virus ejection is gonna look like and who is gonna play who...
Jun 4, 2022 12:39 PM
Nov 2020
Ohk so this is again a new reality. So keichi this time came to know about Takano's death from Rena. Intresting. And it seems like Oyashiro curse is also untangling. So it was a disease. Let's see
Aug 12, 2022 12:02 AM

Jun 2017
I am really liking this arc. The thing Rena said in this episode about parasites is a really interesting possibility. It fits so many events together. Finally things are making sense! Now I wonder if this arc is related to the first directly or not. Things didn't happen the same way in these 2 arcs but I feel that they are somewhat connected.
Aug 29, 2022 7:56 AM

Feb 2021
Welp, Tamitake and Takano are dead in this reality too.

Okay, I know there is something supernatural going on in this story but what Reina was experiencing, could purely be a psychological disorder/mental illness that she must be suffering from due to trauma from a young age.

So, Rena IS being hunted by the goons of the Three Family.

Damn, what a reveal. Now I'm questioning if there really is something supernatural or if is it all a big sci-fi story. Parasites that make you violent can be explained as the 'ogre' dwelling inside Mion/Shion and probably other members of the Three Family. Oyashiro wasn't even a saint let alone a god. He was just a foreign doc who managed to treat this disease to some extent. The leaving/entering norm was basically an old-school quarantine method. So if Rena claims to have those weird hallucinations was it just because she was infected by the parasite and they felt out of place after she left Hinamizawa?

So only the compatible hosts and parasites survived till the modern era. Even the intestine ritual was just a precautionary vaccination method. I think telling Oishi all of this is their best bet and would be the most logical person to tell as of now. Even Irie would be a good person to consult.

That still doesn't explain the time loop/different reality thing.

May 25, 2023 1:26 PM
Oct 2022
I felt there was a scientific explanation for all this madness, and Rena connected those dots quickly. 
Having a logical explanation is quite satisfying and completely flips the plot on its head in a good way. 
Now it totally makes sense why people are rationalizing what they don't understand as a curse or demons taking "control" of people because it is happening but by a parasite which is even scarier. 

The question is, other than the swamp, how does it spread? 
Does the killing spree release parasitic larvae into the air? Is it their blood that is contaminated? I get the dying after the spree part since you can have your intestines eaten by the animals in the area who can further spread this parasite so it can survive (humans, too, can eat it). 

So many questions.
Rena is definitely one of the most intriguing characters in the series, and I can see why she's beloved by the fan base now.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 15, 2008

129 by Mirorin »»
May 22, 10:15 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

270 by Mirorin »»
May 22, 9:53 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

172 by CutieAnshin »»
May 22, 8:54 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 14, 2008

150 by BibleCampVictim2 »»
May 22, 6:53 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

169 by CutieAnshin »»
May 21, 8:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.