Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2022 4:43 PM

Apr 2016
Fantastic anime all around! The romance was sweet, and the friend group has great dynamics. Some of the side characters were fantastic like Kamiya.

Solid, fluffy rom-com. 8/10
Jul 9, 2022 4:46 PM
Apr 2021
Id say little too much of a role swap
Jul 9, 2022 4:54 PM

Mar 2014
6/10

Mid anime at its finest and boy was I disappointed, thought we every episode it was gonna be impress me but only to let me down...

A shame, I do love my pink haired anime girls but Shikimori just is not, but honestly speaking its the soyboy of a main character is what put me off. He's waay to feminine then he needs to be and there are moments where he just made me cringed to see him on the screen.

It seems by the comments and thread that I am not in minority but rather majority with this overall view as well. Defiantly a forgettable anime without a doubt.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Jul 9, 2022 4:59 PM

Mar 2010
nice and simple end to the series. sucks his date got ruined by the bad luck.
Jul 9, 2022 5:07 PM
Aug 2021
One of my fav episode, along with episode 8? (The wholesome drama between Shikimori and Kamiya) with the couple being their absolute cutest. Like have you ever feel so touched just seeing a kiss on the cheek? It portrays that thrill of discovering intimacy with the first love. I also think this time they way the story used Izumi’s bad luck is better than the ones before, not so deliberate, a rather good timing for progressing the story.

Overall the anime feels like it is made for kids who’re just pure as f, with sometimes childishly dry acting, mixed with couple of genuine moments. In a way it’s also such a rare romance anime where absolutely nothing lewd happened. The show’s a gem, that need a lot of polishing to really shine.
Jul 9, 2022 5:11 PM

Jan 2021
Not going to lie was hyped when this show was announced. The trailer looked cool and I enjoyed the first episode. But that hype only lasted for 1 episode, everything after that was just boring. A lot of episodes were just a slog to get through. Shikimori and Izumi's relationship reminds me of lovey dovey attached to the hip couples, I'd argue its almost to an unhealthy point, these guys have no other hobbies than loving each other. Shikimori tries to get better at cooking but its not for her its so Izumi will complement her.

Look if you have 10/12 episodes being Skikimori and Izumi completing and telling each other how much they love one another, its just going to be boring. This show is a vanilla romance with extra vanilla extract.
PurpleMagicJul 9, 2022 5:17 PM
Jul 9, 2022 5:42 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Was super cringe during the first few episodes, but about halfway or so it became bearable and even kind of fun at times. I actually really quite enjoyed episodes 10 an 11. And this last one was nice and cute I guess. But I just don't vibe well with this overpowered waifu basically babysitting this baby of a character; and we're supposed to believe they're in a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship.

If you take it at face value, then yeah, it's not so bad. It's a nice light-hearted, feel-good highschool romance. But it could've been so much better with just a little bit of added character depth. I believe they briefly hinted at it in one of the later episodes, but MAN just a little explanation as to why bad luck keeps following Izumi around could've make this a truly worthwhile watch. But instead we're just left with "he is this way because.... just because."

Again in one of the later episodes, we start to go in the right direction with some of Shikimori's backstory being revealed. How she was born pretty overpowered but then desired to become more lady-like so she tried to fix her image as so. But then she meets Izumi who admires her for who she is (although this shouldn't be unique to Izumi. Anyone in their right mind should be fully impressed with Shikimori's capabilities), and the rest is history. I suppose that works well enough as the basis of their "relationship" but I could've definitely done with an extra line or two explaining something like "Shikimori has a desires to protect the weak" or something along those lines.

But instead to me it all just feels forced, a dude with bad luck gets paired up with a girl who is strong and protects him. Perhaps you could argue that it was fate that brought these two puzzle pieces together. But I still think of it as lazy writing: "Let's make this guy weak asf to make our main girl, the star of the show, shine even brighter." And then for half of the anime's runtime we get Izumi saying how COOL Shikimori is.

It had some good parts and showed some promise at times, but I'm still leaving it at a 4/10. This show does have an audience for it; but I'm not one of them.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jul 9, 2022 6:39 PM
May 2021
dlee2040 said:
CQLLIST said:
Well personally disappointed with how the adaptation is treating the source material, hell it shouldn't be getting an adaptation in the first place, I thought the 1st half was the worst composition I've seen in a quite long while and this is mostly because of those unnecessary original scenes that fleshed out the worst out of Izumi's bad luck and Shikimori being cute, well that's all about it. I find the side characters a lot more compelling in terms of their own strength and weaknesses respectively it was a quite a saving grace and I couldn't care less to how the anime is potraying the main couple's relationship which in the end is quite painful to watch to say the least, hell I don't remember being in pain when reading the manga because the tone there were a lot more wholesome while the anime did capture that atmosphere, their interactions were awkward af. A mediocre anime overall well at least it ends on a fair note with a cheek kiss but it's pretty forgettable in a long run.

I already knew that the anime wasn't going to live up to the manga due to the art style alone, but jeez they screwed up this adaptation in ways I didn't think were possible. Izumi was my favorite character in the manga, so seeing him treated like this in the anime was painful. Every time I defend Izumi, I always find myself referring to the manga because the anime does him very few favors.

Honestly, I think the adaptation is fine. I knew it wouldn't be that great since the manga is hard to adapt, especially the beginning. the manga also dosent get that great until around ch 50ish which is near where this show ended. I feel like if they do a season 2 it would be much better than this one but they'd have to adapt it better than they did this time.
Jul 9, 2022 7:57 PM

Jul 2016
Dude, that was wholesome. What a diabetes-inducing date that was.

Lovely finale and pretty sweet show overall. Premise was simple yet I liked how it was executed, side characters were all likeable and I gotta say the relationship between Shikimori and Izumi really grew on me with each passing episode. They sure make a really cute couple.
Such a shame for all the unfair hate this adaptation got tho. From both viewers who exaggerated with Izumi's personality and manga purists who were expecting the most perfect 1:1 adaptation ever known to human kind.

7/10 - Gonna miss chill nice guy Bakugou, btw.
Jul 9, 2022 7:57 PM

Sep 2011
7/10 Very nice, cute wholesome show. Nothing too special but all of the main characters are nice. And for once, I honestly cannot wrap my head around why so many people on MAL seem to dislike it.
Jul 9, 2022 8:06 PM
Feb 2021
I was expecting a kiss but well kiss in a cheek also not bad. Overall, it was a good show and I really enjoy it watching the goofiness of Izumi and chadness of Shikimori alongside their friends shenanigans here and there. In fact, it was a show of bakapuru with comedic and wholesome elements and it delivered their perfectly. Wouldn't mind if it is renewed for 2nd season.
Jul 9, 2022 8:06 PM

Aug 2019
It was an adorable date for the last episode.
Jul 9, 2022 9:04 PM
Oct 2021
is there going to be another ep or is it episode 12.5 or something
Jul 9, 2022 9:05 PM

Jun 2020
Good episode! I already enjoyed this anime since the beginning and it satisfied me aaa, might read the manga as well.
scrunkly
Jul 9, 2022 9:27 PM

Jan 2018
Decent finale. Most of the episode was sweet but then at the end it became cringe when Hachimitsu and Nekozaki interrogated Shikimori.

This anime was disappointing. Most of the episodes were samey and by the end of the season nothing changed much. Izumi is still weak. The OP was more interesting than the actual show.
Jul 9, 2022 10:11 PM
Apr 2012
Good episode. Anyone know where in the manga I should start reading from after episode 12? Or any chapters skipped over in the anime?

As for my thoughts on the show, it only has a few great episodes, but I enjoyed the watch.
Gave it 7 out of 10. Sometimes you just need a sweet vanilla romance. Plus I try to judge each romance anime on their own and not respective to others in the same season. It's why I enjoyed "Love After World Domination," "Kaguya-sama: Love is War" (upcoming film confirmed) and "My Dress-Up Darling." They each brought something different to the romantic table. However, even I have to draw the line at some like "Aharen Is Indecipherable," which bored me and trolled me. But some people like the show and I won't judge.

It just depends on people's tastes, moods and feelings. I won't judge if you loved or hated Shikimori. There will be tons more romance anime in the future. So pick your battles and enjoy the ones you start to their sweet (or bittersweet) conclusions. They'll always be another on the horizon yet to get an anime (Example: Our Dating Story: The Experienced You and The Inexperienced Me Manga) or a classic in the past you missed (Example: Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer Manga).

Shining_FalconJul 9, 2022 10:17 PM
Jul 9, 2022 10:12 PM
Sep 2021
Good episode for the finale, izumi and shikimori went out it was their first date, it was decent. The final scene was good.
I give it 6/10.
Jul 9, 2022 10:19 PM

Nov 2018
Pretty sure the future for these two is Shikimori keeping Izumi locked in her basement...I dunno why people hyped her as a top-tier waifu; she very consistently creeped me out with her yandere stares that I guess were supposed to be "cool"?
Jul 9, 2022 10:20 PM
Jan 2021
Shining_Falcon said:
Good episode. Anyone know where in the manga I should start reading from after episode 12? Or any chapters skipped over in the anime?

As for my thoughts on the show, it only has a few great episodes, but I enjoyed the watch.
Gave it 7 out of 10. Sometimes you just need a sweet vanilla romance. Plus I try to judge each romance anime on their own and not respective to others in the same season.

It's why I enjoyed "Love After World Domination," "Kaguya-sama: Love is War" (upcoming film confirmed) and "My Dress-Up Darling." They each brought something different, but even I draw the line at some like "Aharen Is Indecipherable." It just depends on people's tastes, moods and feelings. Won't judge if you loved or hated Shikimori. There will be tons more romance anime in the future. So pick your battles and enjoy the ones you start to their sweet (or bittersweet) conclusions. They'll always be another on the horizon yet to get an anime (Example: Our Dating Story: The Experienced You and The Inexperienced Me Manga) or a classic in the past you missed (Example: Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer Manga).

I highly recommend reading from the very start. The anime made a lot of changes to the manga and skipped over a lot of chapters.

If you're fine with pirating, the best site to read Shikimori is manga4life, as it not only has updated translations, but it also includes a good amount of bonus content like extra illustrations that other sites like MangaDex and MangaKakalot lack.

If you don't give a flying fuck about the skipped chapters or alterations made from the manga, the anime ended on chapter 62.
Jul 9, 2022 11:50 PM

Jun 2015
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! So much cuteness it took me an hour to stop the nose bleed!!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jul 10, 2022 12:41 AM
Jul 2013
Show had a pretty rough start but luckily it picked itself up well enough in the last couple episodes. Not really a fan of how much stuff from the manga they skipped but oh well. Ended up being a nice, relaxing show anyhow, just the type I like

Also, a lot of you guys need to learn when to cut your losses. I don't know why you keep watching stuff when you have so many gripes about a show, and it's something I see constantly on this site. It's actually mind-boggling to read some of the posts here, but at least you guys are consistent in your stubbornness, I guess?
Jul 10, 2022 12:56 AM

Sep 2018
Second half was a lot stronger, turned into a pretty good romcom. 7/10.
Jul 10, 2022 12:59 AM

May 2020
this got way more hate than it deserved
I really enjoyed it
solid 8/10
hopefully, we get a s2

Jul 10, 2022 1:01 AM
Oct 2021
Literally one of the best rom-com anime i have seen (10/10 For me)
peace out✌️
Jul 10, 2022 1:02 AM

Jul 2021
BEAUTIFUL episode. What a way to go out with a bang. One of the best episodes till now.

The boat part was just so good, Izumi kissing Shikimori on cheek, saying dai suki and then Shikimori just sitting there hugging Izumi. 10/10 scene.

6/5 episode. Though the post-credit scene was kinda not needed, IDK what was the point of that scene, it played out exactly like first episode in the start followed by cool Shikimori's cool kick to save Izumi.

They had to postpone some episodes and it was worth it, there was no quality drop in any episode, this episodes especially was looking really pretty.

Very entertaining, wholesome and cute anime overall, hoping for a second season, would love to have second season. 10/10. Another anime added to the list of animes getting undeserved hate.
TsutanaiFuunJul 10, 2022 1:08 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 10, 2022 1:06 AM
Aug 2021
finally it ends. there were good moments...bit there were also horrible moments that feel exactly like watching that weird animated face of Izumi after pulling Shikimori down in the gondola. was it really necessary to make him look so affeminate? that would sun up the season: all resources poured into animating Shikimori in an awesome beautiful yet sexy way etc..bit that alone couldn't hold up the story if you destroy Izumi.
there's honestly a big difference between reading the manga and this thing indeed. the entire cast is very well built in the manga vs this bland, weird laughed at, Izumi San.
will continue enjoying the manga while quite surely I'll forget about this mess of an animation
Jul 10, 2022 2:07 AM

Jan 2021
Probably my 2nd favorite episode of the season, which says a lot about the show itself since it took this long to find a favorite episode.

At the beginning, I genuinely considered dropping this, mainly due to Izumi's misfortune being so over the top and frequent. They also don't do him any favors by making him unable to do anything about it. However, it grew on me, especially as we got to see more of how Izumi does try to work through his bad luck to make himself and others (Shikimori) happy. The highlight of the season was probably the sports festival where we got to see Izumi and Hachimitsu both work through their discomfort to try and win.

In this episode, I really liked that it was just Izumi and Shikimori. They got to go on a date and just talk and enjoy each others company. The best part was definitely the gondola ride.

I don't know if I particularly want a second season, but if it does happen I hope that they help Izumi's character out a lot.

5/10

Jul 10, 2022 2:25 AM

Jun 2021
One of the worst anime I have ever seen and the fans are so annoying. You like it cool but don't expect everyone to like this bland anime.Making same type of thread so many times everytime I check the thread the same users commenting "I LiKe ThIs DuLl AnImE BuT I DoN'T GeT iT wHy OtHeRs DoN'T LiKe iT " .

1/10 and I hope this series never gets a second season.
E-SatieJul 10, 2022 2:44 AM

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

Jul 10, 2022 2:26 AM
Mar 2019
i like a lot this anime its different stoy than other. i think we need ovas or second season

Y given 8,7
Jul 10, 2022 2:33 AM

Nov 2012
Yeah it was worth the drop at ep 6

My Candies:

Jul 10, 2022 2:42 AM

Mar 2022
Reading the manga I knew what we were up to.... butttt

"ThIs AnImE sO UnIqUe, ThEy DaTe FrOm tHe BegINNiNG"

And yet they still kiss and hold hands in the very last episode. Like the rest of the garbage bin trash this show desperately tries to escape with fluffy visuals and a "spin" on the roles.

It's the vanilliest of vanilla shows. Could have been decent, but the adaptation decided to reinforce the wrong things from already not that well written manga. IMO this is also a reason for all that pent up fustration and hate, feeling that decency is just out of grasp by a little bit.

But it is what is its. Something I'll never watch again.
Jul 10, 2022 4:18 AM
Oct 2021
Mmm i really loved it! It was super cute and the post ed scene was a really nice flashback! l
Jul 10, 2022 4:29 AM

Jan 2019
Pretty weak ending tbh, disappointing that they didn't commit to a proper kiss and just gave us a status quo reset at the end.

Still want them to release the soundtrack though, it carries most of the show for me. 6/10 overall.

Jul 10, 2022 5:41 AM
Sep 2021
5/10 because there was no kiss on the mouth, I put too much expectation of a romance anime
Jul 10, 2022 7:45 AM

Jun 2021
Shikimori best girl, better than any "Cosplayer" bit*hy girl and its barbaric fans that craving for fanservice
Jul 10, 2022 8:38 AM
Mar 2015
Well aren't they precious
Jul 10, 2022 8:45 AM

Aug 2020
Didn't like early eps but got better later , Overall was a feel-good/wholesome show. I really liked the main five. Would most definitely watch 2nd season if it gets.
Jul 10, 2022 9:03 AM
Oct 2019
Sweet Season Finale Date.
Enjoying watching it every week.

Highlights of the season will be: Kamiya episode, Sport Festival episode and Izumi/Shikimori backstory episode.

Despite the COVID outbreak at Doga Kobo, they still working their hardest even though we got some delay here and there.
Respect for all the staff members.

7/10
Shikimori's not just a cutie, definitely what I'm expecting from the title.
Just good Romance story with little twist.

Haters gonna keep hating on every anime, so best thing to do is ignore them and don't let their opinion affecting your watching experience.
davidyodo24Jul 11, 2022 12:08 AM
Jul 10, 2022 9:47 AM

Oct 2017
still not sure why this anime is so poorly rated... to each their own I suppose. i really enjoyed this last episode. we got to see a bittersweet date with izumi and shikimori, filled with diabetes-inducing sweetness that left me feeling warm and fuzzy. i loved the gondola scene and the dream-like scenario and was super proud of izumi for taking the initiative. overall 8-9/10 for enjoyment. definitely one of my favorites from this past season. <3
Jul 10, 2022 9:58 AM
Jun 2022
Hope to see them again 💯
softie_kawaiiJul 10, 2022 10:09 AM
Jul 10, 2022 10:05 AM
Jun 2022
I love it so much, it's a lovey-dovey episode!! The ending is satisfying. Izumi and Shikimori definitely a great and adorable couple. ❤️
Jul 10, 2022 11:06 AM

Jan 2020
It's Christmas, and they're going to be together until late tonight. Is it finally time for the ara~ara~? -- Alas, no. I wish they had made some more progress other than just a kiss on the cheek.

Even so, it was still overall a good series, and the last few episodes definitely stepped it up. I would probably check out season two if it ever gets one.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 10, 2022 3:10 PM

Aug 2017
Oh come on not even a single kiss in the lips? Literally they’ve been dating a year but never kissed on the lips? One of the girls was right, they’re like kindergartners.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Jul 10, 2022 3:11 PM

Aug 2017
SugoiDekaiOppai said:
Reading the manga I knew what we were up to.... butttt

"ThIs AnImE sO UnIqUe, ThEy DaTe FrOm tHe BegINNiNG"

And yet they still kiss and hold hands in the very last episode. Like the rest of the garbage bin trash this show desperately tries to escape with fluffy visuals and a "spin" on the roles.

It's the vanilliest of vanilla shows. Could have been decent, but the adaptation decided to reinforce the wrong things from already not that well written manga. IMO this is also a reason for all that pent up fustration and hate, feeling that decency is just out of grasp by a little bit.

But it is what is its. Something I'll never watch again.

Lmao they didn’t even kiss on the lips lol

Jul 10, 2022 4:38 PM

Oct 2013
This show sucked harder than my Dyson vacuum on a Friday night and yes me and the vacuum make a better couple than this fmc/mc..........

What a waste of time! Probably the most infuriating MC this season for me and I kept waiting for some type of hook other than aaaaaduuuuuh my wallet go bye bye, mmmmaaahuuuuh my shoes make me fall boom, waaaaaah guuuuh my peepee go hard from girl but me no likey bad touch...KOWAIIIIIII.
This is what I get from the main MC just tots dumbfuck derp

This show is 4/10 and I can't believe my brother talked me into this shit saying it was gonna be "so good".......he's getting a punch to the dick next time I see him...

Mod Edit: Posts must not contain more than one screenshot.
Koito91Jul 18, 2022 12:26 PM
Jul 10, 2022 4:54 PM

Mar 2022
Remocracy said:

Lmao they didn’t even kiss on the lips lol

The final insult on 12 episode long injury.
Jul 10, 2022 4:56 PM

Aug 2017
Collins89 said:
This show sucked harder than my Dyson vacuum on a Friday night and yes me and the vacuum make a better couple than this fmc/mc..........

What a waste of time! Probably the most infuriating MC this season for me and I kept waiting for some type of hook other than aaaaaduuuuuh my wallet go bye bye, mmmmaaahuuuuh my shoes make me fall boom, waaaaaah guuuuh my peepee go hard from girl but me no likey bad touch...KOWAIIIIIII.

This show is 4/10 and I can't believe my brother talked me into this shit saying it was gonna be "so good".......he's getting a punch to the dick next time I see him...
You punch your brother on his dick? Seems kinda gay ngl

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
Koito91Jul 18, 2022 12:27 PM

Jul 10, 2022 5:48 PM

Oct 2013
Remocracy said:
Collins89 said:

You punch your brother on his dick? Seems kinda gay ngl
yep it's as gay as this lame ass MC! Who needs to bad luck himself into erectile dysfunction.

But yep my bro is getting a big ole helping of dick punch for recommending this crap anime!

You know what they say Eskimo Bros before hos

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
Koito91Jul 18, 2022 12:27 PM
Jul 10, 2022 7:30 PM

Sep 2017
Well the didn't kiss which is lame, but it was still a very wholesome and realistic date for two high schoolers. Really this was a very wholesome show in general with characters actually doing a lot of realistic things hanging out with friends and shit like normal high schoolers do.

Really the only thing is being so damn awkward about kissing, but I suppose being in your first relationship when you are 15 I can see it being awkward until it happens for the first time.

Well this show had a lot of relatable moments for me thinking back to my highschool gf so it was a good watch. I'm sure it would have gotten less hate if the MC was less feminine and somehow found himself surrounded by half naked girls once an episode like some other trash anime.
Jul 10, 2022 8:42 PM

Oct 2019
I enjoyed the anime overall. Very sweet and considering every episode felt too short just means I had a lot of fun watching it.
I didn't know which studio made it but after I saw it on the page it makes sense. I really enjoy Doga Kubo stuff a lot most of the time (yes, you can tell me I have trash taste :D).

MC felt a little TOO helpless at some points*, but that seems to be the point of the story. Overall it was (at the time of writing this) a solid 8/10 for me.

*No, I also don't enjoy it when the female lead is that helpless either.

Hi_I_am_EdJul 10, 2022 8:46 PM
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2022

152 by jairo3634 »»
May 9, 1:19 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2022

107 by ad0rablegoat »»
Apr 19, 4:34 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2022

351 by HollowP03 »»
Apr 16, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2022

116 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 1:03 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2022

98 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 11:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.