Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2012 11:38 AM

Sep 2010
I didn't pay that much attention to Furusato Saisei on the Spring 2012 anime chart, but when I found out it was going to be on Crunchryroll, I decided to give it a try, since these type of series don't usually get subbed.

When I was watching the first episode, time just flew by. The ending song totally caught me by surprise.
I already knew some Japanese folktales, but all of the stories in the first episode were new to me, which made it interesting to watch. Though I must admit that I have heard/read a story of European origin that was very similar to the first one.
But I had forgotten how "brutal" educational stories for children can sometimes be, like what the neighbors did to the dog in the first one. I know it was just a "flag" that made the story move forward, but still.

But about the second story (about the man who bought dreams), it didn't end like I thought it would at all. What about you guys, were you able to predict what was going to happen?

Oh, and I really liked the opening animation, the thing with the paper plane was cute. The animation style in general wasn't that special, but I think the cutesy storybook-ish artwork works well with the stories.

All in all a very cute and enjoyable series, I'll keep watching this weekly.
Derp.
Apr 1, 2012 12:39 PM

Jan 2010
I love these folk stories. Such nostalgia from my own childhood. The ED is also very relaxing and just so pleasant on the ears.
Apr 1, 2012 1:08 PM
Aug 2011
Kujou said:
liked it too, but anyone knows the OP and ED artist?

Shoko Nakagawa
Apr 1, 2012 1:21 PM

Jan 2008
Artego32rus said:
Kujou said:
liked it too, but anyone knows the OP and ED artist?

Shoko Nakagawa

thanks, someone already provided me with that info .. really nice voice .. and the stories were pretty interesting. Just someting different compared to the current anime on release ..
Apr 2, 2012 1:43 AM

Apr 2009
I happened to stumble on this one because Commie used it as an April Fool's joke, they labeled it as "Space Brothers". LOL I got trolled but I was expecting anyway and now I'm actually glad I watched it still. XD

The evil neighbors had it coming anyway, after all they killed their dog, destroyed and burned their mortar, karma's a bitch. XP I'm surprised the merchant shared the treasure with the master of the house, ah well it's a folk tale anyway. About the rat sutra part, did he get old because he became a monk or what, compared with the old lady who it seems didn't age at all? Sorry, I seem to be nitpicking when this is supposed to be a children stories after all.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 2, 2012 2:55 AM

Nov 2010
Great anime to watch, even with out subtitles since most of it is really basic japanese, though this animation can be called unbearable, the story makes up for it!
Apr 2, 2012 4:08 AM

Feb 2008
I don't see the problem with the animation to be honest. This kind of show doesn't exactly need great animation to get the stories, which the Japanese audience are already familiar with, across.
Apr 2, 2012 4:30 AM
Jul 2018
The last "On chorochoro!" put a huge smile of my face. :D

Great episode. May not watch it every week but I surely will buy the DVDs once they'll be out as it'd be a very nice way to show Japanese tales to my future children.
A lovely series.
Apr 2, 2012 7:34 AM

Jul 2009
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
Not my cup of tea. I have absolutely no interests in folk tales, I was willing to give it a shot if it had awesome visuals, but that was... 1/5
If you don't like folktales, then don't watch a children's anime about them and then complain about it. oO

Sure, the art wasn't exactly top-notch, but it was cute and fitting.
Can't really expect shounen-anime-style hot chicks or high-budget realistic scenery from this kind of anime, right?

Well, as long as nobody sais things like "they should think of a better plot"... ^^
Apr 2, 2012 10:49 AM
Nov 2009
It was an overall meaningful anime, with the lessons and all. 0 w 0

And the animation was simple and enjoyable, especially The Rat's Sutra. xD
Apr 2, 2012 12:33 PM

Nov 2008
If, this keeps up it may yet be the best anime of the last few years not to mention the spring season. Sure, it's a bit specific and not all viewers will appreciate it but who cares?! In a world full of fanservice crap with no plot this one is a gem.
Apr 2, 2012 4:03 PM

Sep 2010
Unique art and cute folktales.

5/5 this will probably be one of my top favorites of the season.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 2, 2012 7:59 PM

Feb 2011
5/10

I somewhat liked it, but I'm not the target audience, which is probably why.

Great children's show.
Apr 2, 2012 11:23 PM
Dec 2010
So cute! I haven't watched folktale shows since I was a kid, so this is nice nostalgia for me.
Apr 3, 2012 2:44 AM
Jan 2012
Fresh and interesting, though nothing I'll tune in for every week. Stories like these are best in book-form, but I appreciate the effort.
Apr 3, 2012 7:50 AM
Dec 2007
I'm a grown man but still really love children's tales ;)

Awashima said:
"The Rat Sutra" is also a real folktale from japan but instead of "rat sutra" in japanese its nezumi sutra which is actually "mouse sutra".

Well, 鼠 means both rat and mouse in English (which are two very similar species from the same biological family anyway), so yeah. And in case you didn't know, the three tales are real stories from the Japanese folklore, not only this one.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 3, 2012 10:06 AM
Jul 2008
I actually liked it. Even tho it's for kids but it's surprisingly good!

1st stories' douchebag neighbors reminded me of our old neighbors. The dog killing did catch me off guard tho but glad that the neighbors had it coming.

The last story was adorable. "On Chorochoro! On Chorochoro!" XD
Apr 6, 2012 9:33 AM

Jul 2009
That story with the little dog and the nasty neighbours was awful (not bad awful, just horrid people) but quite relatable - Not the dog murder, I would never forgive anybody who so much as hurt my dog! People coming to me and borrow my stuff, knowing they'll leave with what they want even if I protest, with little drive to respect my belongings or give it back is a cycle I can relate to.

Apr 8, 2012 4:45 PM

Sep 2011
Now THAT's something else aside from the usual shows. I've enjoyed lots of children tales years ago and as a "child in heart" I can really appreciate such an anime, dedicated to japanese tales.
Tale 1 was the best out of the three.
Tale 2 wasn't really my cup of tea.
Tale 3 was almost as good as the 1st, especially because of the moment with the thief.

Guess I've found my fav anime this season besides Acchi Kocchi. ^^
---
Oh,and:
Am I the only one who totally wants an Okami adaption after seeing this? Somehow the anime gave me the impression of an Okami vibe trough the whole episode. Maybe because of the similar background animation. >_<
Apr 9, 2012 8:48 AM

Dec 2010
SinDeLuXe said:
Am I the only one who totally wants an Okami adaption after seeing this? Somehow the anime gave me the impression of an Okami vibe trough the whole episode. Maybe because of the similar background animation. >_<

I thought the same thing (and have wanted an Okami show since I first discovered the game.. was disappointed when I found out that the recent Okami-san thing had nothing to do with it)

This is a really nice show, and I love learning more about Japan. Glad to have stumbled upon it. My personal favorite of these three stories was the second, and I love the idea of buying dreams from people.
Apr 13, 2012 8:51 AM
Jan 2012
uzy5o said:
Very interesting. I was skeptical that they're actually from Japan so I did some research. "The Old Man Who Made the Dead Trees Blossom" and "The Man Who Bought A Dream" are indeed from Japan. Each site has a slightly different variation though. I couldn't find "The Rat Sutra", however.

http://english.franklang.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=7
Apr 13, 2012 3:45 PM

Oct 2007
The third story with the monk was my favorite.
Apr 24, 2012 5:45 PM

Sep 2011
I love there are just stories without telling the lesson at the end. My favorite were"The man who bought dreams" and "The rat sutra" but I think the three were very entertaining :D I will keep watching it for sure.
Oct 20, 2013 1:46 PM

Nov 2010
That was very nice, good OP and ED, I'm going to have fun catching up to this while learning a little about some Japanese folk tales.

If anyone's interested, we have a 1917 version of Hanasaka ji ji(the first story) on here.
Mar 4, 2014 10:28 PM
Aug 2012
I cried during the dog story :(
Mar 3, 2015 2:49 PM

Jul 2012
I liked the first and last story. Not so much the 2nd one. That was pretty pleasent actually. Very calming. Great ED song!
May 13, 2016 11:10 PM

Nov 2009
This was quite cute! I only just recently heard of it and was excited to learn some folklore. As a fan of the game Okami, I found it fun to notice details that were included in the game (Okami is famously full of references to Japanese folklore; like, even tiny references with characters you only speak to once). I enjoy folklore in general, however, so it was very enjoyable.

I know some people find the art style weird, but I find it suiting. The simplicity of the art matches the simplicity of the stories. Besides, it's meant for children, and children often don't notice art quality so much.

I will certainly enjoy watching a few episodes per week of this. I expect it will be a while before I catch up, but I don't drop series.
Jan 9, 2018 1:07 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The first short was very nice, the old-woman that found a dog in a bento box on the river!!! The neighbours are not always nice persons!!!! kekeke

More topics from this board

Poll: » Furusato Saisei: Nippon no Mukashibanashi Episode 66 Discussion

Ranxomare - Mar 20

1 by Safrichh »»
May 12, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Furusato Saisei: Nihon no Mukashi Banashi Episode 17 Discussion

annabloem - Jul 22, 2012

6 by sandwich-boy »»
Apr 10, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Furusato Saisei: Nihon no Mukashi Banashi Episode 65 Discussion

dbaranyi - Jul 2, 2013

3 by Safrichh »»
Feb 22, 7:59 PM

Poll: » Furusato Saisei: Nippon no Mukashibanashi Episode 64 Discussion

Ranxomare - Jan 23

1 by Safrichh »»
Jan 26, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Furusato Saisei: Nippon no Mukashibanashi Episode 63 Discussion

Ranxomare - Nov 25, 2023

1 by Safrichh »»
Jan 5, 8:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.