Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Sep 27, 2014 7:26 PM
Jan 2011
I wanted to know their scores in the national relay... since this is a anime people would naturally want to know the scores but we don't even get to find out. I mean if this was a slice of life i can understand... but sports anime?! Because of this I had to downgrade my rating from a 9 into a 7.5... Overall enjoyable anime, not extremely happy with the pacing of the final 2 episodes i'm glad Haru found his dream but.... feels like something was lacking.
Sep 27, 2014 8:03 PM

Jul 2012
eien_kiseki said:
I wanted to know their scores in the national relay... since this is a anime people would naturally want to know the scores but we don't even get to find out.

Huh? It was shown that they got 6th place.
Sep 27, 2014 10:37 PM

May 2014
I'm really happy with how this ended. It was soft and subtle. I'm so excited for the OVA! Maybe it's where they go back and dig up there letters! :)

"For the Future"
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Sep 28, 2014 12:32 AM

Jun 2011
eien_kiseki said:
I mean if this was a slice of life i can understand... but sports anime?!
This is not a sports anime in my opinion, even if it's tagged as one.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 28, 2014 4:33 AM

Jun 2013
well for once rin wasn't the one who cried the most 0_0
loved the way the series ended, 9/10
Sep 28, 2014 8:13 AM

May 2010
'Okay' episode, and 'okay' series, that's about it. I expected more after the first season, but now I think I just overrated it a bit. I'm just not into bishies and drama alone as much anymore. Still, I had some fun with this series, though I didn't like what they have done to Haru, and they focused too much on Sousuke imo. Biggest plus was the lack of Nitori, finally! Hated this gay guy.

Overall 7/10, I expect more from KyoAni, their recent series aren't as good as they used to be imo, and it was my favourite animation studio before! Waiting for something better.
Sep 28, 2014 9:34 AM

Dec 2010
Wow, what a way to end it (with the CM that began it all)! And while I didn't care for Haru at all at the end of season 1, I like him a lot more now.

Great show, exceeded my expectations.
Sep 28, 2014 11:50 AM

Jul 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
eien_kiseki said:
I mean if this was a slice of life i can understand... but sports anime?!

No, it definitely is. If this one isn't a sports anime, Ping Pong or Hikaru no Go don't count as sports anime either. It leans more on SOL and drama but it still has the same aspects as any other sports anime.
Sep 28, 2014 12:35 PM

Dec 2010
mayukachan said:
ToG25thBaam said:

No, it definitely is. If this one isn't a sports anime, Ping Pong or Hikaru no Go don't count as sports anime either. It leans more on SOL and drama but it still has the same aspects as any other sports anime.
Umm no Hikaru no Go is definitely a lot about actually playing the "sport" whereas Free is more about interpersonal relationships and finding one's dream.

But yes it still should classify as a sport anime, since they do training camps, enter tournaments, compete, etc.
Sep 28, 2014 12:59 PM

Jul 2012
Pknoctis said:
mayukachan said:

Umm no Hikaru no Go is definitely a lot about actually playing the "sport" whereas Free is more about interpersonal relationships and finding one's dream.

My point was that Free! is still a sports anime regardless of how different it is from the normal sports like Hikaru no Go or Ping Pong which are also different.
Sep 28, 2014 3:03 PM

Feb 2012
Hikaru no Go is different how? Because of the ghost?

Also this show should have ended with the relay. Two eps of angst epilogue, not good.
Sep 28, 2014 3:27 PM

Jul 2012
mecharobot said:
Hikaru no Go is different how? Because of the ghost?

Like Chihayafuru, they're both more of card/board games, which would be the common argument. I would consider all of these animes in the genre though.
Sep 28, 2014 4:47 PM

Dec 2012
This episode drew so many strong parallels to Love Live S2. I am completely satisfied. 9.5/10
Sep 28, 2014 6:59 PM
Jan 2010
The latter half of this season and particularly this episode felt like it totally copped out on the "free" theme of the first season. Haruka felt almost like a different, less interesting, character. It also felt like a pointless nod to verisimilitude to not have them take first place in the nationals (its a pet peeve of mine when otherwise unrealistic sports anime pull back from the final plunge of letting the neophyte protagonists win, who are they trying to fool with a pointless nod to "realism"?)
Sep 28, 2014 7:04 PM

Jul 2012
^ But, it was more realistic this season rather than Haruka's "I only care about the water" attitude. At least now he has a dream of his own. And the 6th place is more realistic because it's not like Iwatobi has all strong swimmers. They consist of one prodigy and three other decent swimmers.
Sep 28, 2014 7:16 PM

Aug 2011
I can't believe the critics, who the hell was expecting a 10 out of this? It was a nice show, it had sexy males and a nice slice-of-life pace in the story. That's all I care about.

Apart from Makoto-sama, of course. Makoto can come and hug me whenever he feels like it.

» Escapism.

Sep 28, 2014 10:31 PM

Apr 2011
I love the fact it got better than season 1 because more character development, the story get to the point about Haruka's future and other as well (even I'm still disappointed how mysterious Sousuke's future in the ending). And yeah all the characters are loveable imo.

Minus point because free is basically more into drama aspect than the sport one, So I guess if people want to watch it because of sport references free probably is not quite recommended because this is more likely driven with drama. (8.0/10 for me)
Sep 29, 2014 11:05 AM

Aug 2010
bekeru said:
Opi-chan said:

Why should he have been invited? He wasn't part of the team.

Rin did it in their childhood, and is a close friend of them all. It wouldn't be weird if they did invite him, actually.

Then he was part of the team. He isn't now. He has his Samezuka team while Mako and the other three have the Iwatobi team. It was a team thing and Rin isn't part of the Iwatobi team...
Personally I like that he wasnt invited.
Oct 1, 2014 3:34 PM

Jul 2010
I iked the fact they didn't were the Number 1 in the competition, but the number 6 :)
That's still pretty good, but they aren't perfect. Not yet.

I liked this ^^
Oct 2, 2014 9:40 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode, most everything was resolved. Nice animated swimming sequence.
Oct 3, 2014 12:39 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
The series is fine. Nice episode.

Maybe it's just me, but ever since the last episode of the first season, I haven't liked Nagisa, Haruka, Makoto, Rin, or Rei. Rin and Rei redeemed themselves a bit pretty early on in the second season for me, but I still disliked Nagisa (especially Nagisa), Haruka, and Makoto-- and Sousuke. So I was sitting here, watching with apathy for almost the entire second season.

Every character (Nitori, Gou, Momo, etc.) except Nagisa, Haruka, Makoto, and Sousuke were A-Okay with me.
Sounds like a problem, but I made it through, so hey.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Oct 3, 2014 6:22 AM
Jun 2012
Episode felt too rushed. Like they didn't have enough time for everything. Especially nationals.

I think they should have put the return from Australia bit in the previous episode, that would have given them a bit more time for other things.
Oct 3, 2014 3:09 PM

Jul 2010
This was still pretty forgettable, as last season, but I found the theme of Haru grappling with his idea of "freedom" really intriguing. It's something that I deal with too. I hate being placed into deadlines and conceptual boxes, but I guess it's how you approach those things that allows you to create meaning.

More interesting than last season, but still was more eye candy than anything else for me.
Found myself apathetic through most of the show.
7/10
Oct 3, 2014 4:12 PM
Jul 2018
I loved it! My favourite show this season. If as a straight guy, you can forget about fan service, you can definitly enjoy this show.
Oct 3, 2014 6:56 PM

May 2010
Juhnny said:
If as a straight guy, you can forget about fan service, you can definitly enjoy this show.

Well, there wasn't even much of fanservice this season.
Oct 3, 2014 8:46 PM

Jan 2014
I LOST IT WHEN REI STARTED CRYING

and omgf its really over theyre in college and haru went pro and omg ;___; i am going to miss free so much

i really hope the ova is when they reunite to open the letters in a few years

<33333 goodbye freeeee
Oct 4, 2014 9:00 AM

May 2010
Wow Ai is the next captain! Yeah that's right, Sousuke, don't give up on your dream!

Too less Gou esp. in the last few episodes, but damn those end scenes... So beautiful.

After that previous episode, I was gonna give it an 8 but... a 9 it is. I am gonna miss them all esp. my waifu Gou! She deserves her own series... Gonna miss Makoto, Rin and Sousuke too. All in all, a beautiful anime.
Oct 5, 2014 4:22 AM
Jul 2018
Kitsu-nee said:
Juhnny said:
If as a straight guy, you can forget about fan service, you can definitly enjoy this show.

Well, there wasn't even much of fanservice this season.

You're right. The show became much more emotional. I had friends droping this because of the fan service. I can't say that I didn't enjoy it :3 but what kept me watching were the characters, the colors, the message and everything else that's great about this anime.
Oct 5, 2014 8:23 AM

Dec 2013
Not a bad ending to a really good shounen show.
The four of them race to the future for their dreams. The sentimental value of this episode, and this show in general is very high.

I don't see them doing a third season, but I can totally see them filming a movie to show them opening that box.

Good reminder of our youth and our dreams when we are/were young.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 8, 2014 8:50 AM
May 2012
Wow, I am actually, kinda speechless. I don't know what to say but beautiful~
If only Rei was beside me while watching this episode, we would be saying "beautiful" at the same time <3
Good thing that I don't give a shit about what people says about certain Anime. In this case, many people keeps on saying that Free! is fucking gay, but I didn't give a shit about what they are saying, and I am glad I did, cause this Anime is beautiful to me, really. Their friendship is <3
KyoAni can still make a season 3. Showing Iwatobi's new club members, Sousuke's recovery, Rin and Haru's journey to pro, and Makoto's studying.
Well, I will be waiting~ Thank you ^^
Oct 8, 2014 5:26 PM
Jul 2018
Tengai said:
If only Rei was beside me while watching this episode, we would be saying "beautiful" at the same time <3
Good thing that I don't give a shit about what people says about certain Anime. In this case, many people keeps on saying that Free! is fucking gay, but I didn't give a shit about what they are saying, and I am glad I did, cause this Anime is beautiful to me, really. Their friendship is <3
KyoAni can still make a season 3. Showing Iwatobi's new club members, Sousuke's recovery, Rin and Haru's journey to pro, and Makoto's studying.

Omg!! Just thank you for that!!!
Oct 9, 2014 12:52 AM

Jan 2010
Glad it's finally over. I really felt meh with this season. I don't understand why it's rated higher than the first one, tbh.
MenatsuOct 9, 2014 2:54 AM
Oct 13, 2014 4:30 PM

Jul 2013
Beautiful finale.

Great job on bringing everything together and wrapping things up.

So much feels.

Season three please
Oct 13, 2014 11:42 PM

Jun 2011
OMG that was just beautiful, way better than the last season, sad to see it go. I was going to make it a 9/10 but after that beautiful ending its going to be a 10/10. My god I am going to miss Free.
Oct 14, 2014 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
Such a great season and ending this was.
I'm gonna miss it too. :(
Oct 16, 2014 12:10 PM

Mar 2014
It was so freaking beautiful. I honestly got myself into this mainly for the fan service but I got out with so much enjoyment. :'3
Oct 16, 2014 9:00 PM

Jul 2012
Menatsu said:
Glad it's finally over. I really felt meh with this season. I don't understand why it's rated higher than the first one, tbh.

Because it was a lot better, in most aspects.

Tengai said:

I love comments like these, especially because you're a guy who respects this show :)
Oct 24, 2014 4:21 PM

Sep 2012
This was pretty terrible. I honestly don't see how people could enjoy this season.

They dropped the ball fucking hard.

In the end, Haru decides that, no, he doesn't want to swim just for himself, but rather he wants to do it competitively. Why? Because.... well, just because I guess.

Oh wait, no, we do get a lazy half-assed reason:

Um, then buy a fucking swimming pool. You don't need to go to the damn olympics just because you "want to swim".

I guess the show's title "Free" is ironic now, because he no longer swims "free"- as in, because he wants to swim and enjoys it for the sake of being in the water- but rather now he swims because he wants to "worry about times and winning".

Am I the only one who thinks that's pretty shitty? Swimming because you want to swim, just because you enjoy it, isn't good enough. You have to do it to win and be better than other people. What a shitty moral.

And then we have to sit through that absolutely unbearable, gratuitous, literal summary of the past events, plot point by plot point. Gee, thanks. It's not like I just watched the damn show or anything. The amount of overexplanation and summary in this anime was horrendous.

I think this line summed this episode up the best:

And then we get overblown hysterical wailing and crying. Because two characters are leaving high school. Are they 4 years old?

Yea you fucking said it.

That whole sequence was so cringe worthy and melodramatic that I had to pause it multiple times and go do something else for a bit. It made me self-conscious to even watch.

The race scene was annoying, with their hallucinations and giggling that was supposed to feel "magical" or whimsical or whatever. It was just corny.

And of course everybody is crying about it and sobbing like toddlers when they finished the race. Barf.

Oh wait, hey. Wait a minute. They got 6th place. Um. If the whole moral of this story was that "winning is the most important thing" (after all, that's the revelation our main character had), why the fuck are they happy with 6th place? Shouldn't they be like "....well fuck, looks like we weren't good enough"? It doesn't make sense.

Whatever.

This show really had me severely disappointed. It was all in all a chore to watch, and I honestly regret not dropping it. Sousuke's character was completely filler, and a giant waste of time. The "drama" was overblown vague nonsense. Every character overreacted to inconsequential things for no reason. The dialogue was terrible. There was no suspense and nothing to keep me interested.

Did I even watch the same show as everybody else?
Red_KeysOct 24, 2014 4:28 PM
Oct 27, 2014 3:48 AM
May 2012
I'm starting to see this season as a tale of two stories, one from Iwatobi and one from Samezuka. Although Iwatobi has the greater coverage (of course, it should be), It didn't feel like Samezuka or Rin's story was left out. Both were quite well played, and I pretty much enjoyed both until the end.

8/10
Nov 13, 2014 9:50 PM

Jan 2014
...a butterfly? Really? Everyone else was a sea creature. But Haru's was a creature that dies in water. Wut?
Nov 16, 2014 10:13 AM

Feb 2013
Oh God. This beautiful feeling. This touching OST, which made everything even more emotional. I already feel nostalgia. I know, I'm gonna miss it. I had tears in my eyes. Free is amazing. And not only because there are sexy boys here...Some people just can't see it. I don't want to end it. I just love when I feel like this at anime...<3

Nov 26, 2014 5:48 AM

May 2008
Toa_Allanon said:
...a butterfly? Really? Everyone else was a sea creature. But Haru's was a creature that dies in water. Wut?

Pretty late into this but everyone in the team were looking at the spiritual "animal" of the person who swam before them. Haru was seeing butterflies because the person who swam before him, was Rei, whom is a Buttlerfly Swimmer.
Nov 28, 2014 8:35 AM

Jan 2012
I was so happy when I saw that Haru followed Makoto to Tokyo! It's hard imagining him living without Makoto's support, and it's sweet that the bffs are still together. What a feel good ending for everyone.
Dec 8, 2014 1:54 PM

Jul 2013
That was such a great ending!

Haru finally told his friend he would carry on swimming.

Rei and Nagisa crying made me cry!

I loved seeing the nationals and them seeing the imagery in the pool like they were being guided by their friends!

It was nice seeing them bury that box and Rin made Ai-chan the next captain!

It was nice seeing them run in to the pool full of cherry blossoms and seeing a bit in to the future at the end.

Like Makoto and Haru together then it looked like Haru and Rin were gonna race at the end whilst Nagisa and Rei recruited new members.

It was a beautiful story of friendship again and I wish there was a season 3 but it looks like there might not be ;____________________________;

But there is an ova at least next year!
Dec 11, 2014 6:18 AM

Jul 2014
I was hesitant to watch the 2nd season of Free! after watching the 1st season. To this day I still can't believe I managed to finish this anime since I usually drop animes I don't particularly like.

I don't particularly love Free! but I don't hate it either. I enjoyed watching it casually but it wasn't all that great, especially not this season.

I'm a fan of shounen ai and yaoi but shows like these that are neither but a bundle of heavy implications that leave fangirls to do the pairing in their head, I don't particularly like. >_<

I still enjoyed it though but mostly because of the characters and the friendship between them which I found nice. The story line was also interesting which is why I finished it towards the end. The only reason why my rating isn't so high is because of the excess of fan service and (as I mentioned earlier) implications that the boys could or could not be a "pair" which all but made me cringe as I watched it. 7/10~
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Dec 26, 2014 5:48 AM

May 2013
Red_Keys said:
rant

rant

rant

rant

rant

rant

rant

rant

rant

rant

rant

rant

rant

rant

rant

rant

rant

Did I even watch the same show as everybody else?

Most likely not.
Dec 29, 2014 7:29 AM

Sep 2013
I was crying most of this episode. Can't believe it's over T^T
More crying at the end scene which is also the end scene of the Free! ad that started all of these feelings. FEELS. Great ending! I hope to find my dream too thanks Free <3
Dec 29, 2014 10:11 AM

Nov 2014
Omg I'm so sad that I finished it, it was so amazing!!! Makoto & Haru being together in Tokyo at the end at the restaurant I was like YESSS. & Makoto looking adorable & perfect during his class. Such a great ending! And it was great to see many new recruits joining Nagisa & Rei in the swim club.

When Nagisa & Rei started crying omg I was tearing up...but then again there were feels all over the episode I was crying during the last race cause it was such a special moment for them.

Happy for Nitori becoming Captain, good for him he worked hard for it. The ending for Sousuke though omg like Rin is waiting for him, but like it's such an open ending for Sousuke, guess he went to go work with his dad but I wonder if he ever goes back to swimming or not...I need a Season 3 so badly I really hope they do it or do something to show us the future!

But all in all, Makoto & Haru being together in the end was the absolute best. Nothing can separate those two! <3
Dec 29, 2014 9:00 PM

Feb 2012
Great series. The character development was great and quality didn't drop anywhere. Based KyoAni!
Jan 4, 2015 9:05 AM

Oct 2013
No more good looking guys in their swimming suits... It was a nice end. When I see them swim, they make me wanna learn to swim like them :)
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2014

189 by hidenashi »»
Feb 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2014

125 by hidenashi »»
Feb 8, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

107 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2014

113 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2014

304 by hidenashi »»
Feb 3, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.