Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 24, 2014 1:19 AM

Aug 2013
FrozenSoda said:
does this mean that he's given up on considering his opponents feelings?
Feelings...what are those?
Jul 26, 2014 1:52 PM

Mar 2014
Best episode so far by a considerable amount. This series is only getting better.
Sep 15, 2014 5:08 PM

Jun 2011
Gee the harsh truth, eh.

Lol Peco, what the hell happened? Tanned and gained a little weight, then discard your "partner"? Opps, went back and checked, the beach dude was Peco? Lol. His phone screen cracked. Who was the girl with him? His girlfriend?

The random dude who is gonna switch from the sea to the mountain, lol.

Edit: Lol @ shinsengumi reference. Uhm so, Kazama is better than every China's youth players? It's no wonder that he won against Wenge then, by such a large margin too.
ToG25thBaamSep 15, 2014 5:15 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 19, 2014 3:42 PM

May 2012
Another nice episode! Let's see what's next.
Dec 14, 2014 2:49 PM

Jun 2009
Damn, hope Peco picks Ping Pong back up again.
Dec 31, 2014 1:00 PM

Aug 2014
I think Smile is developing to be a really interesting and unique character. I thought the part with the Kaio guy losing was very sad and I like that the anime isn't some cheesy shonen where nobody's life and career can be completely ruined like what happened to Kong and the Kaio guy. I'm glad that the anime is willing to add in deeper aspects like that and do them quite well.

Jan 4, 2015 1:44 AM

Nov 2013
THE DEMON HAS BEEN SLAIN!

Yep. Sakuma got rekt. Smile showed no mercy.

Looks like Peco really let himself go.

Great episode.

8.5/10

Jan 12, 2015 12:26 PM

Aug 2014
Haha I didn't recognize Peco until they said his name. Sad to see he's given up, but it looks like he always had it easy and now that it's not easy he can't process it,

Smile is a bastard :o
Feb 22, 2015 7:41 AM
Aug 2010
What a change in Smile and Peco already. This was my favorite episode so far, probably. I was pleased with Wenge's decision to stay in Japan; it'll be interesting to see where that goes.
まぁ、全部嘘だけどね。
Feb 22, 2015 10:44 AM

Jan 2014
Wenge is back. I legitimately thought he was out of the show after last episode.
Feb 24, 2015 5:20 AM

Oct 2013
Japanese voice actors are shit.
Feb 25, 2015 4:29 AM

Dec 2013
I liked how Smile isn't bullshitting about hardworking and what not and said outright that you need talent.
Damn OST so good.
Not a fan of Peco's new look :|
Mar 22, 2015 10:14 AM

Mar 2012
This anime is so down to earth. Don't see that too often.
Apr 25, 2015 6:49 AM

Jan 2012
Demon my ass.he has no talent in ping pong.

Apr 27, 2015 3:39 AM

Sep 2011
Only some minor changes compared to the manga, I just hope that that new Yurie character doesn't ruin the whole story, she seems so dumb compared to the rest.
May 26, 2015 11:15 PM

Jul 2011
This anime is good as hell.. But why the horrible animation though
Jun 23, 2015 2:52 AM

Dec 2013
Wow Peco looks weird lol

Poor Akuma got owned. Sad how hard work will only take you so far :(
Jun 24, 2015 4:21 PM

Feb 2012
Man, this show is really intense.. I say that in the best way possible though.
Oct 12, 2015 6:09 PM

Nov 2014
I don't have anything important to add, but, was that a reference to Game of Thrones, "Winter is coming"?
Dec 19, 2015 9:53 AM
Dec 2014
Qatami said:
Imagine being this dumb
Mar 23, 2016 9:27 PM

Apr 2015
Whoa, Smile was a bit too harsh. I feel sorry for Akuma for going through all that. Reality hurts.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Mar 28, 2016 2:44 AM

Dec 2012
Peco took that loss hard.

Sakuma got dominated by Smile though.
Apr 3, 2016 5:31 AM

Feb 2016
What can I say that hasn't been said? Absolutely superb character development. I think we can all relate to seeing the greying hair, ingenious stuff.

On an off-tangent note, see how masterfully the match between the talented and hardworking was done compared to 3 entire episodes in Naruto of Lee vs Gaara? Simple yet effective eye opener, tasteful minimal use of emotions (without the need to spell it out shounen style, which is nice) that was just enough to be poignant and not drawn out and overdone.
Cloud_IllusionApr 3, 2016 5:37 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
May 16, 2016 4:26 PM
Jun 2013
I'm honestly shocked at how good this is. 5 Episodes in and I feel like the characters are so well rounded and deep. The games are interesting. All good.
Jun 24, 2016 9:32 AM

Jan 2009
Smile is savage af
Jul 2, 2016 3:28 PM

Feb 2015
Denji said:

The new version of the ED song is pretty sweet, btw.

yes, i rather did like it very much.

PremiumCascade said:
Wenge takes 1st place as favourite

didn't realize until they called him peco that it was peco, so shocked
Best airing sports anime atm

i was a bit suprised and worried as well. peco's transformation makes me think on how he views his life with ping pong. when he was smoking that broke my heart a bit :'/

UnoPuntoCinco said:
sakuma voice acting is amazing.

indeed.

CloudyDaze said:

And to end off this long post, I want to bring attention to 'This place doesn't agree with me' man. We saw him in the last episode and we saw him here. I don't know why we keep getting attention on him. I want to know more about him!

lol yeah, was a bit surprised when he came up again, lol.

And to those comparing this anime to other shonen sports anime, I really don't think it's fair. I don't watch other sports anime, but for Shonen Anime in general you are there for the ride and for excitement and to feel good about everything. The stories don't have to be so deep so long as you are enjoying the experience. Ping Pong on the other hand is much more deep and trying to make you feel uncomfortable. The art style alone is a testament to that. Ping Pong delves into the character's psychology and just use Table Tennis as a medium to keep the plot moving. We basically are watching a play about a bunch of people risking their lives and reputations on something as trivial as Ping Pong. It's not fair to compare sports anime of different genres because different anime are trying to do different things.

the only other sports anime i've seen is haikyuu, but i totally get where you're going with this. it's like seeing people who dedicate their lives to sports, what happens when they win or lose, or when they train, what it does to them.

it's like looking deep into the lives of people when the lose the olympics.

Mirorin said:

Kong is a character that I love to learn about. He loves his mother and worries for her even though it seems like he's some uncaring child. The subtleness of it all makes it even better. He's definitely growing on me alot!

when he broke down in the train, that surprised me, lol

tommy73 said:

Also, effort >>> talent.

..................................................................................

didn't demon vs smile just prove that wrong?????
------
worried for smile, what is the coach doing to him????

and so sorry for peco/ko. i really, really do like the boy. it's so sad he took his loss that hard and isn't training. he should be satisfied that he's the second best. i mean it's not like he totally sucks. demon most likely won against peco/ko because peco/ko was underestimating him and didn't really train that much. he really is a talented boy. as i said before, peco has the talent; smile has an innate gift from God.

all these characters in the episode surprised me, especially weng since he decided to keep going. i thought he was going to quit since his coach said losing one more time would end his career.
Jan 3, 2017 9:04 PM

Jul 2016
As far as the way Peco was portrayed in this episode, the imagery did a lot to really show how lost and aimless he is right now. He's losing his own identity as his appearance changes dramatically-he's tanner, gained some weight, and even his signature hair cut has grown out. Beyond just visual appearance, he's seen smoking, paralleling the way he is masking and losing his own image/scent. Symbolism that furthers this theme of confusion and self-doubt are seen at the beach. Firstly, his phone screen is cracked, clearly symbolizing how he's having trouble deciphering and understanding what's happening around him. His whole world and self worth has fractured; the only way this symbol could have been more obvious would have been if his glasses had broken. Also, when he goes into the ocean and wildly spins in the waves only to come back and find that everyone is gone, the tumultuous waves parallel the confusion in his life right now and how he comes back an empty and closing beach mirrors how everyone else, particularly Smile, is leaving him behind because he spent too much time playing in the metaphorical waters. Just as the beach is closing, his previous aspirations in ping pong are caving in on themselves, leaving him with no true ultimatum or purpose. This all culminates when he wistfully tosses his paddle into the water to get swallowed into the lost dreams of his past.
Feb 4, 2017 8:20 AM

Feb 2015
Looks like shitty Demon and delinquent Peco are giving up (actually Peco might just be letting go of his past identity still looking to move forward in Ping Pong). I'm fine with that - is the anime at fault for not making me attached to these characters? I think it's too early to say. Anyway, no idea where it's going now except Smile winning at more tournaments... Also thought it was a bit weird how he's trying now when just in the previous episode he said he'd happily quit. Still, I like this anime. I hope the Chinese player comes back.
May 4, 2017 11:10 PM

May 2016
Beach guy will now move to the mountains lol.

Peco really let himself go. I didn't recognize him at all xD

Kazama really is blunt towards his team. He could've been nicer y'know. Akuma lost his temper upon realizing that forcing himself to play table tennis isn't enough against those who both practice and have talent. Being removed from the team sucks for him.

The ED has a girl singing along now~

Jul 28, 2017 11:55 PM

Mar 2013
Wow that was Peco? I did not recognize him until someone said his name lol

Also, gotta love the Shinsengumi reference. :D
Jul 29, 2017 12:44 AM

Dec 2016
A good episode full of a lot of emotional development. The fall of the Demon, the rise of Smile, and Peco seeming to finally run out of fucks to give about ping pong
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 8, 2017 12:51 PM

Jun 2013
That was rough for Akuma.

MadRoosterr said:
Qatami said:
Imagine being this dumb

This show simply opts for a more down-to-earth style of voice acting, at the very least regarding Peco, Smile, Kong and his coach. And considering the unconventional visuals, I think it's fitting.
Oct 18, 2017 9:01 AM

Apr 2015
"Soon to be world champ has no time for pancakes." If being a world champ means you can't have pancakes, I never want to be a world champ.

I think trying to get Smile to transfer is a lost cause.

Oh shit, I didn't even recognize Peco. "Who is this kid on the beach and why do we care?" He really has gained weight and somehow changed his entire appearance. He threw his paddle out...really hard to believe this is the same determined kid from before.

"You've been splashing around the kiddy pool!" Suddenly Smile kicks Akuma's ass, haha.

This show has some bold things to say about natural talent and how people who don't even try can be better than those who put all their effort into something. Such is the bullshit of life and is something needs to be addressed.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 2, 2017 8:58 PM

May 2014
Peco lost his motivation for playing table tennis + the famous Kaiou member Sakamu got suspended for playing against another school without premission and hittling a guy. Daym, this ep. were intense and depressing. A lot of hearts got crushed and emotion in full swing. Poor Tsukimoto, make him a bad guy just because he have talent. Although, he don't express it, it might be how he is feeling.

It's gonna be interesting what happens from now on. I highly doubt he will go over to Kaiou, but who knows. ^^
Dec 31, 2017 4:17 PM

Feb 2017
Didn't recognize Peco at first.

And Smile is a real badass now
Jan 13, 2018 2:30 PM

Jul 2017
Makoto was harsh as fuck to Sakuma
Feb 6, 2018 2:11 AM

Oct 2015
Dang, I guess it all boils down to whether you have the talent or not. Effort isn't enough alone. Everyone's breaking after Smile's Transformation which makes me pretty sad. Good episode nonetheless 5/5
Oct 20, 2019 1:22 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I love the way this anime develop characters' emotions through ping-pong, I feel bad for Sakamu now...
Mar 10, 2020 1:17 PM

May 2018
Wow, this is depressing. Does ping pong really make everyone suffer like this?
Apr 21, 2020 11:47 AM

Apr 2016
Another great episode. Emotions were flying everywhere during Sakuma and Tsukimoto's match. Sucks that Sakuma got kicked off the team though. This anime does a really good job of conveying what comes with being a professional athlete.
Jul 31, 2020 8:20 AM

Nov 2018
See , all you need for a great anime to happen is invest time in directing an already great material , not spending your entire budget on good animation for trash manga like Demon Slayer.
I hate everyone equally
Jul 31, 2020 8:21 AM

Nov 2018
Also looking at you , Shinkai Makoto.
Aesthetics are good , but I would prefer characters and story any day of the week.
I hate everyone equally
Sep 4, 2020 7:34 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The struggle continued. Everyone had its own limit. Eventhough the monster had his medal, but he still unsatisfied. He had an obvious burden that burnt out his own team, and still forced the other people. How abusive.

On the other side of table tennis, Peco couldn't learnt much with his twice in a row lost. He changed, but in a negative attempt. Lol. I saw that Kenjirou side character again, only to laughed about wtf he was doin? Now he wanted to go to the mountain? Omg. The randomness felt my void feeling on Peco development.

However, the Smile boy seems to had a little progression with his new motivation. He just wreck off that bald akuma with his own challenge, only to get humiliated. So, yeah, he came back to his usual robot style that no doubt to be a cruel being. The last thing on Peco, once again made me curious. How far that reckless boy went in a wrong side of the table tennis? Well, lets see the next then! Also, that chinese guy. Learnt much, eh? Lets see his progression too!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 12, 2021 6:17 AM

May 2020
Never knew ping pong would be this sad
Jan 21, 2021 12:46 AM
Nov 2020
Tbh I am huge fan of different and unique type of animations and the reviews of this anime was pretty good and I started watching the first three episodes were pretty average like the first three episodes were used was like for what was smiley's background and what was basically going on but I patiently waited for the moment where I would start liking it so this episode was pretty good
Mar 7, 2021 6:33 AM

Mar 2018
Byniavo said:

Anything that deals with competitive sporting will have emotions like this no matter what, and I think this anime is capturing this quite beautifully.

As harsh as Smile's words were, they were true in nature. Talent and Effort come hand in hand in order to succeed. All the effort in the world will not suffice at the top if you don't have the talent to match, and that's just how it is, some people find that out later than others while also not wanting to accept it such as Akuma.
Celest__Mar 7, 2021 6:38 AM
Mar 7, 2021 8:31 AM

May 2018
Uppwind said:
Byniavo said:

Anything that deals with competitive sporting will have emotions like this no matter what, and I think this anime is capturing this quite beautifully.

As harsh as Smile's words were, they were true in nature. Talent and Effort come hand in hand in order to succeed. All the effort in the world will not suffice at the top if you don't have the talent to match, and that's just how it is, some people find that out later than others while also not wanting to accept it such as Akuma.

You about to make me cry bro T_T
Apr 2, 2021 12:08 AM

Jan 2020
Talent vs hard work, huh.... relatable.....
Dec 5, 2021 1:56 PM

Mar 2016
Damn Manabu kinda feel bad for you since I empathise w you. ALSO KONG BILINGUAL KING.
caprisanDec 6, 2021 12:50 PM

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Dec 15, 2021 1:33 PM

Jul 2014
Why does Tsukimoto's stance on and overall approach to ping pong seem to change constantly without any rhyme or reason? One minute he doesn't care about winning or trying, next he's mocking others as not being good enough or worth his time. It feels like most of his development is taking place offscreen and that we're just seeing the end result here and there, whereas the development of characters like Kong, Peco, Kazama and even Sakuma feels far better-executed and much easier to understand even though they aren't the main character.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

396 by jas-samaaa »»
May 18, 3:53 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2014

310 by minami6 »»
May 13, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.