Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 20, 2010 11:19 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
With the holidays nearing and MAL getting (what appears) to be slower and slower due to increased traffic, I have a question for everyone:

If disabling clubs AND private messages 'guaranteed' up-time and zero lag, would you accept those two areas not working?

I've been talking with Crave and we're trying hard to get these lag issues resolved, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen before the holidays (sigh.)

Let me know your thoughts.

P.S. I don't even know if completely disabling those areas will work, but I have a hunch it will help significantly.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 20, 2010 11:35 AM

Jun 2009
Don't care much for private messages, but as for clubs I'd say keep them. I wouldn't even be on this site without them.
Dec 20, 2010 11:39 AM

Oct 2008
I'll probably be happy if it was a temporary thing for either. I'm guessing clubs could survive slightly in the form of just being apart of the forums for the time being.

I'm also guessing by hunch, that something connected to these is the possible cause for this really annoying lag.
Dec 20, 2010 11:47 AM

Aug 2010
If there are some results by disabling those, I think it should be done. However, it may be hard for some clubs. I think many will be bursting in Christmas time...
I hope for the lag issue to be resolved(big time lag; it got to even 2 hours). I hope for the frozen stats to be fixed along with the lag :D (my manga stats updated like 2 days ago, but the anime ones are down for like a month)
koleareDec 20, 2010 11:52 AM
Dec 20, 2010 11:48 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I'd be find without the PMs but I'm pretty active in a bunch of clubs so I'd be rather sad to see them not around (even for a short while).
Dec 20, 2010 11:48 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Even though I'm in many clubs , I can't say I'm rly active in them but clubs are an important part of mal . I doubt ppl would just be ok without them . Some have done great work to see it gone just like that =/

Private msgs , I'm pretty sure we can live without them .
Dec 20, 2010 11:51 AM

Mar 2010
Private Messages I can deal with...

But I spend most of my time in clubs and im sure most users do too, Thats Probably the reason why people want the lag gone to Be IN the clubs IMO.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 20, 2010 11:58 AM

Aug 2008
Private messages can go but clubs are a must. Except for those only existing to make membercards..
Dec 20, 2010 12:01 PM

Feb 2008
I personally never use messages and rarely visit clubs so it wouldn't bother me. At the very least though, I'd say get rid of messaging but keep some of the more active clubs, those that have multiple hundreds of members that are frequently active.
People are strange, when you're a stranger
Dec 20, 2010 12:03 PM

May 2010
well as long is the stat is fix ... I won't mind anything ....
Dec 20, 2010 12:16 PM
Sep 2007
Fine with disabling. List updates should be a priority. Hell, if there will be no lag thanks to disabling them, please consider not re-enabling them until the lag is fixed.
Dec 20, 2010 12:21 PM

Mar 2010
I agree with everyone that the private messages can go without anyone crying over them.

As for the clubs, though... I kind of feel like sometimes the feature is abused, but many of the clubs are still an important part of the community. I like Benj-san's idea of maybe just paring down the clubs instead, and only keeping those that are big and active (though... those are probably the cause of most of the drain, I realize). There are a lot of extraneous and/or duplicate clubs around.

Or maybe there's a way to simplify clubs, like iamnoone's suggestion of leaving them just in the forums for a while...
That which does not kill us... still hurts like bloody hell.
Gee, thanks, Nietzsche.
Dec 20, 2010 12:26 PM
eyebrows nerd ★

Jun 2009
Kvakond said:
Private messages can go but clubs are a must. Except for those only existing to make membercards..
OH, GOD. OH, GOD. So right.

I don't care about PMs, but I'm pretty addicted to few clubs. Though, it would be great to see that those member card clubs would be closed Θ∀Θ If there isn't any guarantee it will work out, I'm pretty sure there will be even more annoyed people.
If it's at least 70% of possible succession then please do it..
Dec 20, 2010 12:26 PM

Jun 2009
Rasco said:
Private Messages I can deal with...

But I spend most of my time in clubs and im sure most users do too, Thats Probably the reason why people want the lag gone to Be IN the clubs IMO.

I'll echo this comment.

Speaking for myself, no, I don't really use Private Messages or Clubs much at all. But I also don't really mind the lag all that much. Personally I think it's manageable as long as my list gets updated eventually.

But I'm guessing that for a lot of people, they want the lag issues fixed so that everything will be accurate and run smoothly for social networking purposes (including clubs). Those are just my thoughts, though. Whatever you decide I personally don't really care. =P
Dec 20, 2010 12:38 PM

Jun 2009
If that solved the problem then I would consider it done. I don't honestly care about clubs too much so go ahead close them down for the holidays.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Dec 20, 2010 12:39 PM

Sep 2009
Hell disable the forums while you're at it.

As long as my list gets updates. If I need to discuss the anime there are plenty of other places I can go. But only one MAL list.
Dec 20, 2010 12:40 PM
Sep 2007
For all those who want the clubs to remain up - you do realize you won't be able to use them comfortably anyway when the lag kicks in? So what do you prefer, laggy site with clubs or fast site without them? Think twice. Also, keeping only the most active ones up? So the ones that cause the heaviest load? Again - think twice.
Dec 20, 2010 12:41 PM

Dec 2009
Go for it. (^_^)b

Dec 20, 2010 12:47 PM

Feb 2008
i don't care what you do so long as this site works like it did back in 2008.
i think most people will be happy so long as they can update their lists and leave comments on each other profiles.

btw...the site always lags when the users page says over 3000 users are online. why is that?
Kuma-KumaDec 20, 2010 12:57 PM
Dec 20, 2010 12:47 PM

Jan 2009
I'm fine with both disabled temporarily, but like most people here are saying- at some point, I'd like to re-access the clubs.
Dec 20, 2010 12:51 PM
Mar 2010
I really don't mind if private msgs and clubs are disabled as long as the site runs smoothly again. The original purpose of this site was to keep track of anime and manga I'm sure.
Dec 20, 2010 12:52 PM

Nov 2009
To be fair, I could live without both the Private Messages and the Clubs.

I'm sure we all agree that the PMs aren't really necessary, and nobody would really cry over them if they went. But I understand that quite a lot of people come on here quite simply for the clubs, and it would be quite a bad choice to get rid of them. But if there was a way to make it more manageable, like removing all the duplicate clubs and the ones that are hardly ever active, then I guess that would be fine.

But personally, I'll be happy just as long as the lag issues are resolved.
Dec 20, 2010 12:55 PM

Mar 2008
Most definitely. I don't care about clubs or private messages; I just want my stats to stop being delayed and for my list to stay properly updated.
Dec 20, 2010 1:14 PM

May 2009
I can miss the private messages but I like the clubs to much to miss them D=
祇園精舎の鐘の声、諸行無常の響きあり。娑羅双樹の花の色、盛者必衰の理をあらわす。
おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にはほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。
The sound of the Gion Shōja bells echoes the impermanence of all things; the color of the sāla flowers reveals the truth that the prosperous must decline. The proud do not endure, they are like a dream on a spring night; the mighty fall at last, they are as dust before the wind.
Dec 20, 2010 1:27 PM

Feb 2009
I don't mind disabling the private messages. I'm betting most people don't use the system anyways.

But I spent quite a lot of time in clubs here. I personally say keep them.
Dec 20, 2010 1:36 PM
Oct 2009
Get rid of Private Messages, MAL can deal without them. (I never used them in the first place) Keep the clubs though! It's fun to talk about the things you love and meet new friends in them! :D
Dec 20, 2010 1:44 PM

Jan 2009
Yeah, I could survive without PMs. As for clubs...dunno.
Sorry for grammar mistakes(if any), english is not my native language. Feel free to correct me if you see some.

Aug 2007
I don't care about the private messages, but a lot of clubs need the massmessages to run, so I'd like to have those back... .__.

May 2010
Yeah i have no problem getting rid of either of them, i don't really use either. Thanks! :)
Dec 20, 2010 1:53 PM

Aug 2008
I wrote one reply already, but the server ate it. In it, I said yes to PMs and expressed concern over disabling clubs, mostly because we all know what "temporary" means around here.

But you know what, I can't do anything. My forum messages disappear, I can't add things to my list, I can't approve/mod things, nothing. So sure, disable the clubs and PMs. If temporary turns out to be not so temporary, be upfront and honest about it then.
Dec 20, 2010 1:55 PM

Dec 2007
I use MAL mainly to keep track of my anime watching. So it's OK to turn off the extra features that bog the site down.
Dec 20, 2010 1:57 PM

Nov 2006
Disabling both are fine with me.

Having to refresh this page for 5 minutes, seeing different amounts of posts every time, before my post showed up is just ridiculous.
windyDec 20, 2010 2:03 PM
Dec 20, 2010 1:59 PM

Aug 2009
I'm fine with no PMs and clubs to fix the lag. Hopefully it's not permanent though, some clubs are rather nice...
Dec 20, 2010 2:03 PM
Feb 2010
Well the sites is called myanimelist, not myanimeclub. I think getting the list to work properly is top priority. But I admit I´d be a bit sad should they be gone. And I don´t care about private messages. Never sent one, never will.
Dec 20, 2010 2:04 PM

Feb 2010
I wouldn't care if the PM system was taken out altogether, though I'm rather fond of the clubs. (even if I'm only in 3 of em =P)

Though, if they only need to be frozen for a short time while you upgrade the systems or whatever, I'd say that'd be fine too...maybe if you want to cut out some inactive clubs, you could give the club mods\creator the chance to mark their club as "active" and delete those that don't respond? (on second thought, that might take more effort then it'd be worth)

Anyway, there's my two cents, take em for what they're worth.
Dec 20, 2010 2:08 PM

Jul 2007
I don't mind if it's just temporary. I mean the whole point of MAL are the lists....I'm getting really annoyed every time I remember MAL isn't as fast as it used to be.

So disable them until you've fixed this.
"If you die, I'll kill you!" - (one piece)

Dec 20, 2010 2:09 PM
Mar 2010
I've never used the private messages and rarely use my clubs, so I think it can go. Either way, the lag itself isn't bothering me too much.
Dec 20, 2010 2:13 PM

May 2009
I rarely send or recieve PMs and I don't visit any clubs so I'm fine with both being disabled.
Dec 20, 2010 2:13 PM

Jan 2009
I don't care about the PM's. Never liked them in the first place. So I can deal without it. As for the clubs, I wouldn't mind terribly if they were disabled, granted I do frequent them a lot. But as some have said the issue with them being disabled is the time frame of how long they'd be gone. But if it helps with the lag do what you think is right.
Dec 20, 2010 2:19 PM
Apr 2008
For me, at least, clubs and private messages are neither too important or even used regularly during my 2 or so year long stay. It's really just the interface and the lists that count, so getting rid of (temporarily?) these two features that would have a positive impact on the lag seems like it's worth a shot.
Dec 20, 2010 2:27 PM

Jul 2009
If it helps to maintain the stability of the site i can accept it.
No use in PMs but Clubs are a thing many User wouldn't like to give up on..

Dec 20, 2010 2:32 PM

Mar 2007
I don't care too much about the pms. I say get rid of them. As for clubs, I don't know. If possible, just remove the duplicate clubs and the clubs that haven't been active. We really don't need 5 clubs for 1 specific character or Anime. Now if that doesn't work, then I guess remove them altogether. MAL is mostly about the lists. This is myanimelist, not myanimeclub.
Dec 20, 2010 2:32 PM
Nov 2010
Penko said:
Go for it. (^_^)b
Dec 20, 2010 2:40 PM

May 2009
I think most people here are already used by not using the private messaging function, so I guess
It's a-ok...

But when it comes to the club, I'm sure that a lot of people will be against it and I'm sorry to say but
I'm one of them.. I spent most of my time at the clubs instead of the forums. I can only think one solution
For the club.. Itks deleting clubs which are really outdated or like totally dead.

Oh, I wish there's a merging function for the clubs, so if there's any duplicate or the same "insert whatever title here" clubs
Or whatever they're doing on the club, they can just simply work together instead of having a solo group with many alike clubs.

-- I'm looking for "The One" and I'll find her more quickly if I audition two at a time. Think you can do better? --
-- The World God Only Knows -- Toaru Majutsu no Index -- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai --
Dec 20, 2010 2:42 PM

Mar 2008
ANYTHING to make the site run normally. Although I hope it's temporary and a permanent-ish solution is in the works.
Dec 20, 2010 2:42 PM

Feb 2009
Private Messages: Could live without.
Clubs: Necessary, great places to meet friends and help each other out.

Although those would only be temporary measures to fix lag issues.In my opinion, what really needs done is a server upgrade so that the server can process requests faster and push back the replies in a timely manner. That or, split it into multiple servers. One for the Database/API server (api.myanimelist.net for example) to process those requests and one for HTTP to serve up the website. Then you can make the Database/API server one that the HTTP Server communicates with to get the necessary page data. The DB/API Server can handle all the API requests then because it would be dedicated to that.

Dec 20, 2010 2:44 PM
Apr 2006
take both down if necessary - maybe some work can be done then. currently it is near impossible to do anything with changes showing up much later and very irregularly...
Dec 20, 2010 2:46 PM

Nov 2007
Wouldn't really mind if either got disabled, but clubs do seem to be a pretty integral part of the community, private messages on the other hand I doubt I'd miss either way.
Dec 20, 2010 2:47 PM

Feb 2008
My bet is to do not disable clubs entirely, just the commenting to the club main page (temporarly ofcourse).
So leave the forum topics online. ^_^
Dec 20, 2010 2:50 PM

May 2009
I don't mind disabling PMs...

Though I am too pretty much addicted to clubs, so I am against disabling clubs.
If u disable them for some time in order to make MAL a greater place, sure disable clubs then, but return them to its previous state when MAL works like it should.

If you are thinking of permanently disabling clubs... I am against it 100%.
ShweleDec 20, 2010 2:54 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Summer Stack Challenges 🎾 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Jul 30

305 by luinthoron »»
5 hours ago

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Fall 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Sep 12

105 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 11:29 AM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Mar 17

156 by badabass »»
Sep 17, 5:59 PM

» Join MAL's Moderator Team!

Kineta - Sep 12

0 by Kineta »»
Sep 12, 7:26 PM

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

124 by Chronowarp »»
Sep 10, 5:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.