Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 13, 2016 1:24 AM

Sep 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
More of their past shown this episode. And Gin got Takasugi real good at the beginning there, but man those fists to Gin. Ouch. Gin's decision to protect the others instead of their master, leading to Gin beheading him Q_Q. The feels.

Fuck Oboro as well. I never liked him as an antagonist one bit.

Good episode. 3 chapters covered (520). Final episode of this arc next week since there's only 4 chapters left.
TyrelJan 13, 2016 1:28 AM
Jan 13, 2016 1:24 AM

Jul 2014
That OP visuals tho, random stuffs from their encounter throughout the series.
Here it is, the big revelation.
So did anyone get teary or did everyone get teary?
By far the best episode Gintama had!
I remember reading this on the manga so I thought I was ready for the anime version..... I was dead wrong.
Jan 13, 2016 1:26 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The Visuals for the OP changed. Mainly showed clips from the past arc or Gintoki vs. Takasugi. Katsura, Takasugi and Gintoki really cared about Shouyou-sensei when they were children. Gintoki's punch at Takasugi was great. All those epic lines they say! More epic fighting between Gintoki and Takasugi. Also we get to know why Takasugi hates Gintoki so much! Gintoki had to kill Shouyou-sensei to keep Takasugi and his friends alive T_T. The last thing Takasugi's left eye saw... was Gintoki crying T_T. OBORO! That Ending though O.O. 3 Chapters adapted this time. Also best Gintama episode yet by a mile.

Screenshots:

Gifs incoming...

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerJan 13, 2016 3:07 PM
Jan 13, 2016 1:26 AM

Sep 2011
SansrivaaL said:
I remember reading this on the manga so I thought I was ready for the anime version..... I was dead wrong.
I love seeing stuff like this animated. It feels way more emotional since you can hear the voices clearly.
Jan 13, 2016 1:31 AM
Jul 2014
Arigatou. I haven't cried this bad since last year when I read ch520. No one can understand Gintoki's pain being the one wielding the sword. IT FKN HURRRTTS
Jan 13, 2016 1:33 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Tyrel said:
SansrivaaL said:
I love seeing stuff like this animated. It feels way more emotional since you can hear the voices clearly.
Couldn't agree more, especially since Gintama has a talented cast of seiyuu. Koyasu Takehito was fantastic as Takasugi
Jan 13, 2016 1:34 AM
Dec 2014
And this is why Takasugi is my favorite antagonist of all time.....100/10 episode.

Also does anyone think Gintoki could be considered an antagonist as well? His choice directly caused sooo many issues for the Joui 4 and the world in general (That latter part will be explained in the FS arc). And he reveals something about that choice in later arcs.
treedudeJan 13, 2016 1:38 AM
Jan 13, 2016 1:38 AM

Jul 2014
Tyrel said:
SansrivaaL said:

Props to both Sugita san and Takehito san.
BNP's really pushing their budget, those punches had amazing motions.
Jan 13, 2016 1:38 AM

Sep 2011
treedude said:
And this is why Takasugi is my favorite antagonist of all time.....100/10 episode.

Also does anyone think Gintoki could be considered an antagonist as well? His choice directly caused sooo many issues for the Joui 4 and the world in general (That latter part will be explained in the FS arc).
I don't think so. Picking between two people: Friends + Master, and choosing one over the other... I wouldn't really put that in the category of an antagonist. Maybe if you think of it as Takasugi's side, he may feel that, especially from this episode we just saw.
Jan 13, 2016 1:52 AM
Dec 2014
Tyrel said:
treedude said:

Also does anyone think Gintoki could be considered an antagonist as well? His choice directly caused sooo many issues for the Joui 4 and the world in general (That latter part will be explained in the FS arc).
I don't think so. Picking between two people: Friends + Master, and choosing one over the other... I wouldn't really put that in the category of an antagonist. Maybe if you think of it as Takasugi's side, he may feel that, especially from this episode we just saw.

Well i can't say something that kinda spoils people a little.

I'll just say that Gintoki could have chosen something else other than those two options. He was weak in the past. So while he may not be villainous in his actions, i think you could call him an antagonist (someone is in direct opposition to others - usually the main protagonist)......or maybe not...or maybe...idk i'm still mulling it over aha
Jan 13, 2016 1:54 AM
May 2013
I may be accused of being a fanboy but I don't care, I honestly believe that this is the best anime episode that I have ever seen. At least it's up there with clannad after story 18 and steins;gate 23 imo.
salamedratosJan 13, 2016 1:59 AM
Jan 13, 2016 1:55 AM

Feb 2012
Shit is crazy, Oboro the GOAT of the series, def my fav character of Gintama.
TyrelJan 13, 2016 4:55 AM
Jan 13, 2016 1:56 AM

Mar 2015
Here it is guys, the best Gintama episode of all time and maybe even one of the best episodes in all of anime. Obviously not as shocking for those who have already read the manga, but even stronger when it comes to breaking your emotions in my opinion.

What Katsura said at around episode 60 now makes sense.
"But that guy, he endured it. The one who should be hating this world the most, endured it!"

Even though I knew what was coming, I was still not ready.
Jan 13, 2016 1:59 AM
Dec 2014
Ramkec said:
Damn Oboro said I put duds in comas, and he put Takasugi in a coma he still ain't woke up in the manga.

I feel like the Gintama fandom should nickname Oboro the 'cockroach', because that bastard never dies (i read the manga and i know why, but still) aha
Jan 13, 2016 1:59 AM

Sep 2011
treedude said:
Tyrel said:

I'll just say that Gintoki could have chosen something else other than those two options. He was weak in the past. So while he may not be villainous in his actions, i think you could call him an antagonist (someone is in direct opposition to others - usually the main protagonist)......or maybe not...or maybe...idk i'm still mulling it over aha
I know what you mean :P. I read the manga.
Jan 13, 2016 2:04 AM

Feb 2012
treedude said:
Ramkec said:
Damn Oboro said I put duds in comas, and he put Takasugi in a coma he still ain't woke up in the manga.

I feel like the Gintama fandom should nickname Oboro the 'cockroach', because that bastard never dies (i read the manga and i know why, but still) aha

True lmao he just won't stay down, and keeps screwing with Gin and others, that's why he's so great.

One of the few Shounen villains I really like.
Jan 13, 2016 4:04 AM
Jul 2013
This stuff wrecked me in the manga and I thought I was ready, but I guess not T__T
Jan 13, 2016 4:08 AM

Nov 2014
Please tell me..... that what just happened didn't happen!!!! I'm going to die....
Jan 13, 2016 4:08 AM
Dec 2014
Tyrel said:
treedude said:

Oh btw, i forgot to say. They only covered two chapters, not three like you said.
Jan 13, 2016 4:09 AM

Aug 2010
Holy damn! Most intense shit I've ever seen. That was absolutely amazing. Hell, amazing doesn't even cut it. I'm tearing up from epicness and I can't breath well right now.

Gin vs Takasugi is definitely now up there in my top5 best battles ever. So much meaning behind it and the animation was great (not the best but great by Gintama standards). Also all dat friggin BLOOD!! AND F***N HAX LAKE TOYA LOL

The way they showed Gin chopping Shoyo's head off then the scene after it Takasugi punching the hell out of Gin's face was so damn epic!! U could feel the weight behind every friggin punch! Didn't expect the 247-246 O_o

The scene with the last face Takasugi ever show with his eye being Gin's tearing up face was epic and so much feelz!!

Loved Gin and the 3 bad boys scenes in the past.

Dem Shoyo eyes while threatening the samurai was epic too.

And ofc friggin OBORO!!!
Jan 13, 2016 4:14 AM

Sep 2011
treedude said:
Tyrel said:

Oh btw, i forgot to say. They only covered two chapters, not three like you said.
They covered 518, 519, and 520. That's 3.
Jan 13, 2016 4:15 AM

Oct 2012
11/10 isn't even enough for this episode. Holy shit. I haven't read the manga so the beheading scene caught me by total surprise and literally had my shout at my tv at 4am in the morning..
Jan 13, 2016 4:16 AM

Jan 2013
For Gintoki to be the one to behead him.... That is so brutal, poor him.

How depressing that Takasugi lost his eye like that too.
Jan 13, 2016 4:17 AM
Dec 2014
Tyrel said:
treedude said:

They covered 518, 519, and 520. That's 3.

Oh oops, i may have a faulty memory. Just checked again. Sorry.
Jan 13, 2016 4:27 AM

Dec 2015
I hate it when I already read the manga for so many times and still struggle though this ep
and those GOAT XD
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Jan 13, 2016 4:34 AM

May 2013
This is so intense i can't wait for a week for the next ep I'll explode
I wanted to see some Kagura vs Kamui action
Jan 13, 2016 4:35 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Honestly these aren't really my type of episodes so I can't feel that excited about it, but I'll at least admit that the directing is pretty on-point
Jan 13, 2016 4:44 AM

Dec 2014
Seeing takasugi in a brand new light now. finally understanding his side. two many mixed feeling to even explain what is actually going on
Jan 13, 2016 4:47 AM

Dec 2015
tbh I don't like Takasugi, he's too stubborn, they wouldn't even in this mess if he realised it earlier
I know the choice Gin make wasn't the best but in the time what more can he did (even Shouyo didn't do anything which I find really piss since he was so strong), he made himself an antagonist and carried all the sins
and of course Oboro what a good time!
Jan 13, 2016 4:52 AM

Nov 2007
I shall remember this episode for the rest of my life.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 13, 2016 4:53 AM

Jun 2014
The only thing I can say about Gintama is that IT IS GODLY. This episode is proof of why it is the only manga/anime that can change drastically from comedy to something brutal. Oboro that fuck, such a coward, if he had faced Takasugi before his fight with Gintoki, he would've been wrecked. PIECE OF SHIT.
Jan 13, 2016 5:03 AM

Nov 2008
I don't read the manga and don't even want to come to Episode Discussion because of spoilers but damn, this was the best anime episode I have ever seen.
Jan 13, 2016 5:08 AM

Aug 2010
Best ep of the year nothing can get above it. GG
Jan 13, 2016 5:09 AM

Nov 2015
Loved it!!!! This is why I love Gintama so much!

Gintama/5
Jan 13, 2016 5:11 AM
Apr 2014
One of the best episodes of any anime I've ever seen. 5/5 from the first second to the last.
Jan 13, 2016 5:16 AM

Nov 2014
I cried, I literally cried so hard and my brother was there beside me and I didn't even care I just cried. Definitely the best ep of an anime I've ever seen, I'm so overwhelmed with feelings ohmygod T_T
Jan 13, 2016 5:17 AM

Aug 2014
Strait 5/7. Perfect score.
Jan 13, 2016 5:26 AM

May 2014
i don't read the manga no spoiler plz

this ep just wow amazing godlike

best flashback

fucking oboro just come in a really bad timing who can save them kamui even he is injured from okita mabye katsura i don't know
Now I've lost it I know I can kill The truth exists beyond the gates
Jan 13, 2016 5:35 AM

Apr 2013
Takasugi is basically Guts lol
Anyways, I wasn't expecting Gin having to kill Shoyo, that was just wow. What's up with the DBZ effects during the fight, though?
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jan 13, 2016 5:41 AM

Dec 2013
Too much Feels ..Tears just fell without even noticing
Jan 13, 2016 5:50 AM

Nov 2011
The feels!

I wonder if they gonna change the clip in the OP each episode, that takes a lot of time.

Jan 13, 2016 5:55 AM

Dec 2013
This episode was godlike! Wow!

Flashbacks were amazing the fist fights were amazing and that cliffhanger was infuriating! It's going to be tough waiting another week.

New opening has different reused footage this time. Ok.

11/10 episode. Need to go watch this shit again!
Jan 13, 2016 6:06 AM

Jul 2015
Seriously? I thought Shinsuke was a Bad Guy until they've showed this Ep, demn Gintoki, you've made your self a bad guy in order to protect your friends[and it's deeper than that] and this arc is freaking intense, even this episode is more focused on the past, it was pretty well done that it was connected to the present ... still deserves the top ratings in MAL
Jan 13, 2016 6:07 AM

Dec 2015
Oh crap.

I had read the manga, but I was still not ready for this. This was incredible. Those feel. Again. Dammit.

Tomokazu and Takehito did AMAZING jobs. Seriously, those screams, Takasugi's "please", everything they said and screamed at each. So damn painfull. Gintama seriously has great voice actors.
Jan 13, 2016 6:17 AM
Oct 2011
Katsurap-da-yo said:
tbh I don't like Takasugi, he's too stubborn, they wouldn't even in this mess if he realised it earlier
I know the choice Gin make wasn't the best but in the time what more can he did (even Shouyo didn't do anything which I find really piss since he was so strong), he made himself an antagonist and carried all the sins
Yea I don't like Takasugi either. He had decided to destroy everything (why everything?) and kill his comrades just because Gintoki didn't have a choice - as if he was happy to chop their sensei's head off, in fact Gintoki had felt way much pain than Takasugi and he should have been thankful to Gintoki for preferring to save his comrades' (including himself ofc) lives. The problem is that Takasugi was too stubborn to understand Gintoki's pain.
Jan 13, 2016 6:21 AM

Mar 2014
This is it... the magnum opus of Shonen.

Best episode in any medium I have watched/10.
Jan 13, 2016 6:22 AM

Nov 2015
this episode is the only reason why i follow this arc
good enough. 9/10 the beheading scene.
Jan 13, 2016 6:22 AM

May 2012
Gintoki cried.. Still cant get over with it..

Jan 13, 2016 6:25 AM

Mar 2014
_HeroKenzan_ said:

Even though I knew what was coming, I was still not ready.
It's a Summer night here without a cloud in the sky, and yet... it is raining.
Jan 13, 2016 6:35 AM

Dec 2015
Warrior3 said:
Katsurap-da-yo said:
Yea I don't like Takasugi either. He had decided to destroy everything (why everything?) and kill his comrades just because Gintoki didn't have a choice - as if he was happy to chop their sensei's head off, in fact Gintoki had felt way much pain than Takasugi and he should have been thankful to Gintoki for preferring to save his comrades' (including himself ofc) lives. The problem is that Takasugi was too stubborn to understand Gintoki's pain.

true, a most badass character turned out to be a immature stubborn guy, kind of remind me of sasuke
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

252 by zachashah »»
May 26, 12:15 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Tyrel - Jan 20, 2016

160 by wibugar »»
May 9, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cupc - Jul 29, 2015

125 by Jellybeanx »»
May 6, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 42 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tyrel - Jan 27, 2016

241 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 18, 10:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.