3It was OK
5.5%
2Disliked it
1.4%
1Hated it
1.8%
Average 4.5
829 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 15, 2022 12:56 PM

Aug 2018
I don't really know what happened since there aren't proper subtitles, but it was nice to see everything properly animated.

From what I gathered there is going to be a focus on cybernetics, there also are something which resembles funnels and from what I read and a bit of guesswork I am guessing there is going to be something like the Alaya-Vijnana System from ibo or the Reuse P Device from thunderbolt where there is a direct connection from the pilot and machine, and it can be directly harmful to the pilot. All this is speculation though

Visuals were great and the audio was great, can't wait for the actual series to come out
_______I like rocks__
Jul 15, 2022 6:30 PM

Jul 2011
I think the dad needed those cybernetics enhancements because he was a mechanic instead of a pilot or probably was one of the people that were shown needed the implants for rehabilitation and compatibility like the mom.

But Eri was a natural at shooting despite being just 4 years old without any assisted devices other than the targeting system of her Mom's Gundam, so it seems more of a problem of people being physically compatible with the machine, and them trying some tech to brute force some compatibility to happen

But yeah, we are better off waiting for someone to sub the prologue

Edit: didn't notice but Eri also has the blue markings on her face when piloting the pink gundam XD, so yeah seems like a system similar to the one in Thunderbolt
DoomroarJul 15, 2022 7:33 PM
Jul 23, 2022 5:50 AM

Feb 2021
Atlos said:
I don't really know what happened since there aren't proper subtitles, but it was nice to see everything properly animated.

From what I gathered there is going to be a focus on cybernetics, there also are something which resembles funnels and from what I read and a bit of guesswork I am guessing there is going to be something like the Alaya-Vijnana System from ibo or the Reuse P Device from thunderbolt where there is a direct connection from the pilot and machine, and it can be directly harmful to the pilot. All this is speculation though

Visuals were great and the audio was great, can't wait for the actual series to come out

We still need to wait for the subs version. Very pity that no group pick this series for subbing.
Jul 23, 2022 5:58 AM
Jul 2018
Hell, I can't wait for the subtitles to come out either
Jul 23, 2022 9:25 AM
Feb 2018
-Marce said:
Atlos said:

We still need to wait for the subs version. Very pity that no group pick this series for subbing.

I'm working on a different show rn but I could probably knock out a decent translation of this in a few hours. I'll post here if I get around to it
Jul 25, 2022 11:56 AM

Feb 2021
TerrificTails said:
-Marce said:

I'm working on a different show rn but I could probably knock out a decent translation of this in a few hours. I'll post here if I get around to it

Thank you so much for your great work!!
Jul 25, 2022 12:08 PM
Feb 2018
-Marce said:
TerrificTails said:

Here's the link for my translation
Enjoy!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DCBQ749QH2J5zYgQ0VTBoGHy5_dOsB3L/view?usp=sharing
Jul 25, 2022 12:23 PM

Feb 2021
TerrificTails said:
-Marce said:

Enjoy!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DCBQ749QH2J5zYgQ0VTBoGHy5_dOsB3L/view?usp=sharing

Thank you so much for your splendid work!!
Jul 25, 2022 10:49 PM

Oct 2010
TerrificTails said:
-Marce said:

Enjoy!

Oh, you're the ALF subs person? You did great work!
Jul 26, 2022 9:17 AM
Jan 2018
Every Gundam show doesn't need SEED levels of excessive violence, but the cutaways from death ruined the prologue for me. If y'all don't want to show death, don't write it into the story.

The story seems fantastic otherwise I am super excited for a new Gundam ride. I just hope the show isn't neutered like the prologue was. Those Hajime Yatate 0083 style shoulders gave me life.

Unlike Sunrise Beyond anime, this show is worth the watch.
Jul 26, 2022 9:43 AM
Oct 2021
The ED sounds real good and impactful
Jul 26, 2022 4:13 PM
Oct 2007
MFDOOMED said:
Every Gundam show doesn't need SEED levels of excessive violence, but the cutaways from death ruined the prologue for me. If y'all don't want to show death, don't write it into the story.

It's censored. And by that I mean that there's an complete version somewhere, but the one that got streamed/shown in the Next Future event was edited due to Abe's assassination. I assume the eventual upload to Gundam.Info will be uncut.
Jul 26, 2022 6:53 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Man I have so much to say

First things first, this is already pretty different from most of the Gundam series I've seen with this one introducing a concept of using Gundam's as a thing that takes such a psychological and physical toll on the pilot. That and it sounds like this is the case now in general when it comes to living in deep space too

Secondly, I find the politics of this to be very interesting since in addition to the usual stuff that you'd find in a Gundam series (Poverty, inequality, corruption) they're introducing a form of discrimination towards those who support Gundam technology as well, so I'm curious to see how this plays out

And lastly, I'm very curious to find out why Eri was able to use the Gundam without any drawbacks, but I'm guessing she'll classify as whatever the Newtypes/Innovators are in this series and that'll be the reason why

Overall, I really enjoyed this and the visuals are on point as well, so I can't wait to see the rest of this in the fall (I see that this was edited for the violence and I understand why too, but still, I'm hoping that they don't shy away from it once the series starts)

True Gundam is finally back and I'm so happy TwT
Jul 26, 2022 7:45 PM

Mar 2018
Tokoya said:
this is already pretty different from most of the Gundam series I've seen with this one introducing a concept of using Gundam's as a thing that takes such a psychological and physical toll on the pilot

Iron-Blooded Orphans tackled this topic to some extent, but looks like this series is taking it to the next level.

"~and he loved to play the piano!"

Jul 27, 2022 11:53 AM

Nov 2011
Super hyped for the series now. Loved the prologue.

Thanks ALF for subbing.
Jul 27, 2022 4:40 PM

Jan 2009
so Gundams in this show is about fusing or connecting the body with the robot eh but doing that takes a huge burden to the human body but looks like Eri is more compatible with this system and is special that way to operate the Gundam without much trouble for her body

cannot wait for Eri to grow up and be the main character of this show as seen in that first few seconds of this episode

thanks for fansubbing dude
Jul 27, 2022 6:54 PM
Jan 2018
7Th said:
MFDOOMED said:

It's censored. And by that I mean that there's an complete version somewhere, but the one that got streamed/shown in the Next Future event was edited due to Abe's assassination. I assume the eventual upload to Gundam.Info will be uncut.

I sure hope so. Some anime censor the strangest things.
Jul 28, 2022 11:41 AM

May 2010
So far, this gives me some Unicorn vibes. Pretty similar premise. Quite interesting and also strange how Gundams here were developed from prosthetics. Of course, parent had to die in the beginning. Could be a good series, but too early to judge it.
Jul 29, 2022 7:11 PM

Dec 2007
Oh this will turn out to be an excellent gundam series. I will really enjoy the moral/philosophical debate in the series. We have one side developing a technology used for weapons that is deadly to its user at even on moderate usage. We have another side that seeks to prevent its development for the safety of humankind. I hope that it keeps diving into this conflict as oppose to just making another independence/imperialism conflict.

If we apply this scenario in real life. This technology would be nuclear energy. If nuclear weapons would have been stop before its use, would the cold war and its proxy wars have been more deadly or non-existent? Would the disappearance of nuclear energy accelerate climate change?
Aug 2, 2022 9:18 AM
May 2016
Thank you ALF for subbing it.

I actually liked it more than I thought of. I kinda like how different they handle the gundams compared to recent series.
Aug 3, 2022 5:15 AM

Aug 2015
Not bad, definitely interesting. Needs some more background on how mobile suits work and whatnot. Eager to see the series proper.
Controversial opinions
Aug 3, 2022 5:30 PM

Apr 2017
I'm hyped for the themes they plan to explore with this entry. Hope they don't squash it.

Interesting footnote btw: Delling's name is nordic in origin. means "luminous", is named after a dwarf (in norse mythology, these are synonymous with dark elves).
[source: https://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Dellingr]
BalsaminaAug 5, 2022 3:53 PM
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Aug 4, 2022 12:18 AM

Mar 2010
First Gundam experience. Experiencing the darkness of the story already. The young protagonist is already destroying robots like a game. Really sad that the dad and grandma is gone already. Hopefully the mom can survive this story!
Aug 7, 2022 5:31 AM

Feb 2021
Also watched the Prologue. It looks very interesting! I will surely watch the main series!
Aug 7, 2022 2:00 PM

Jan 2012
RossoYorozuya said:
Tokoya said:
this is already pretty different from most of the Gundam series I've seen with this one introducing a concept of using Gundam's as a thing that takes such a psychological and physical toll on the pilot

Iron-Blooded Orphans tackled this topic to some extent, but looks like this series is taking it to the next level.

Basically i'd say it's more like Thunderbolt (mostly movies).

Aug 12, 2022 1:34 AM
Feb 2022
Oh, I'm getting a Gundam 00 vibe from this series.

We have a chosen-one type of protag that will surely be op in the future, hell yeah!

Flame me or what but I'm more excited about this than chainsaw man.
Aug 19, 2022 10:18 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Although I've been pretty hyped for G-Witch, I also wasn't sure if I'd like it. But that was an intense "start" to the series for sure. I got goosebumps halfway through the episode, and the father's death made me cry. Also, that level of detail was incredible. Not to mention the cinematic type of music.

As for the story itself, I'm very interested in the conflict. As the conference went on, I started thinking that our protagonist's side seems to be the "bad" one, in that what they're doing with the GUND technology is harmful to the body. However, they portrayed the other side looking more like villains. Looking forward to learning more about the conflict between the two sides.
Aug 30, 2022 11:17 PM

Apr 2020
I've only seen the first gundam 79 movie, so I know only little about gundam in general, but this was a really good start considering its an alternate timeline.

I hope this becomes popular like the 86 anime
Aug 31, 2022 10:45 AM

Feb 2012
Finally some official subs:

What a prologue!
I see they are doing a transhumanism theme again.
Can't wait for more in October.
Fortress_MaximusAug 31, 2022 11:14 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 31, 2022 11:00 AM

Jun 2016
Eri had her "now THIS is podracing" moment. It was kinda amusing albeit dark.
Also what the hell is a Lfrith? Gundam names usually mean something
>inb4 Tallgeese
but the best thing the internet can do is the Welsh word for milk.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 31, 2022 11:10 AM

May 2014
Happy Birthday, Eri!

I have to wonder if this is setup for a revenge plot. It would make a lot of sense. Think about the stated premise of the main series and what we know from the prologue.
Aug 31, 2022 11:49 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
When push comes to shove risking your life to achieve anything is not worth it. Especially when you have people that depend upon you. The idea that Lilith is a child being watched over by the staff was amusing. The birthday surprise for Elnora was simple but heartwarming. As was Eri's talk with Lilith. So to stop the production of mobile suits they decided to purge the company huh talk about drastic. Lilith's awakened form really was impressive. Overall an excellent origin ep that did an excellent job of introducing a brand new world whose beliefs in MS weapons is pretty unique that mixed well with the sense of tragedy that we witnessed in the purge. At the same time I was impressed that they managed to introduce a health angle in piloting mobile suits as well. All in all this ep featured a fine balance of world building and action though Delling as a character seems to be just a another ambitious man who wants to control all weapons. Looking forward to seeing the series in the fall.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2022 1:30 PM

Apr 2019
That's a good start, I'd say this shapes up to be whorty of being a Gundam series. Altough there somethings I don't understand, it' will probably be explained in the series, anyways, it's way too early to make judgments
Aug 31, 2022 1:51 PM

Dec 2014
I saw some of the clips back when it first was shown at Comic-Con, but seeing the full thing was beautiful and absolutely heartbreaking. I am absolutely invested in watching the rest of this show!

I wonder how Eri's trauma is going to manifest? Will she seal away all her memories of piloting the mobile suit as a kid, or will she be so haunted by the memory that she refuses to get anywhere near a mobile suit?
Aug 31, 2022 4:35 PM
Mar 2019
I couldn't help but laugh when the kid pointed, said one two three and the 3 suits exploded and she thought it was pretty like candles. XD

Besides that, the animation quality and sound is amazing. I got chills when her name was displayed.

They did a good job setting up for the upcoming TV anime.
Aug 31, 2022 5:59 PM
Apr 2022
The animation was smooth, truly, but the mix of music and voice acting really made this prologue amazing. It’s really impressive that a new project with completely new characters made me fall in love so easily in just 24 minutes. I was hopeful about the upcoming series, but now I’m damn excited for it.
thunderkitten13Sep 1, 2022 10:20 AM
Aug 31, 2022 6:10 PM

Jan 2011
Gundam's back baby while nothing mindblowing since it's just the setup for the show i'm totally in , this new form of a trans-am system but instead does heavy damage to the pilots reminds me of blood orphans so i'm interested on where it goes regarding all that "format score" or something seems fucked
Aug 31, 2022 6:30 PM

Oct 2010
Theo1899 said:
Also what the hell is a Lfrith? Gundam names usually mean something.

PSA for everyone, it's actually pronounced Lubris (ルブリス is ruburisu). Where they got the Lfrith spelling from, I have no clue lol.
Aug 31, 2022 10:28 PM

Sep 2014
This seems really promising, I'm excited as hell for this show now
Sep 1, 2022 12:18 AM

Jun 2016
The_Sum_of_Zero said:
Theo1899 said:
Also what the hell is a Lfrith? Gundam names usually mean something.

PSA for everyone, it's actually pronounced Lubris (ルブリス is ruburisu). Where they got the Lfrith spelling from, I have no clue lol.

I hadn't looked at the katakana. It's interesting because F is pronounced the same as english V in welsh which is sometimes transcribed with the B row of katakana. My theory that it's based the welsh word for milk might actually stand.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 1, 2022 12:51 AM

Oct 2008
girl starting war crimes at 4 gundam always fun to watch.
Sep 1, 2022 3:36 AM

Oct 2017
The intro surpassed my expectations on the production front. I also did get attached to our MC and even some of the side characters in the short run time. Political situation for this AU sounds interesting. Can't wait for Fall to see how it develops.
Sep 1, 2022 5:52 AM

Oct 2015
ShinLore said:
girl starting war crimes at 4 gundam always fun to watch.

Youngest Gundam character that murders people, and treats it as lighting candles. I like how her mum react.

The second youngest Gundam character who murders innocent people is Desil Galette from Gundam AGE at 7 years old.

EDIT: The question is whether this will dethrone Gundam Victory as the darkest Gundam anime. And what message is this Gundam anime trying to convey?
Sep 1, 2022 8:48 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I saw the prologue and damn it I'm super hyped for The Witch from Mercury and we only have one month before the full series airs. A very somber ending as the people who were involved with developing Lfrith were killed in conspiracy to cover up the council's involvement in developing new Gundams all for the sake of maintaining "peace" between the forces of Earth and Space. Eri being the one to awaken Lfrith didn't surprise me, but it was sad to see her exposed to battle and have already killed four people without realizing what was going on. This will have a major development on her character once the series starts and I can't wait to see Gundam Aerial in action.

The soundtrack was amazing.
AddaeAkonoSep 1, 2022 8:53 AM
Sep 1, 2022 11:02 AM

Dec 2015
Over-dramatic (but well made) scenes, a kid killing people with a super advanced war machine (Uso's record has been broken again),and yet another origin for the word. This is Gundam.

The action was nice, CGI wasn't too obvious, but it was in the black of space. And the ship was on the contrary quite ugly. The amount of objects made in CG was also repulsively high for me.
For the drawings themselves, I'm happily impressed by the charadesign, faces looks and all. But everything looks impressively (in a bad way) flat. It was like watching a more detailed version of a US cartoon (those super-heroes OAVs for example).

Score: 7/10
Enjoyment: 4/5
Pretty good promotional prologue.
Rei_IIISep 3, 2022 11:22 AM
Sep 2, 2022 7:32 PM
Mar 2021
So admittedly I was a bit skeptical going in (recent gundam AUs have not left a very good taste in my mouth, I was not a fan of Iron Blooded Orphans even though I have not finished it.)
This is awesome. Rather than trying to make another uninspired AU, this takes full advantage of the freedom that allows and expands the world-building, with a focus on the bond between man and machine. (Sorta Pacific-Rim style) I love how dramatic it is, that ending gives me chills. The animation is amazing, hope they keep up a somewhat similar level of quality for the series itself. Honestly I have no complaints, I watched this twice and I'm now very eagerly anticipating the series. Color me impressed.
Sep 3, 2022 4:37 PM
Nov 2021
This is my entry into Gundam. I've never seen any of the other series, and there were so many it felt like there was no good entry point.
So far I'm quite impressed. I'll enjoy seeing what the series looks like.
Sep 4, 2022 5:34 PM
serial obsessive

Jan 2012
qingi said:
This is my entry into Gundam. I've never seen any of the other series, and there were so many it felt like there was no good entry point.
So far I'm quite impressed. I'll enjoy seeing what the series looks like.

Same! This will be the first Gundam series that I watch, and I'm very optimistic about it so far.
Forever a reader, rarely a watcher. Also listens to music.

⸢There are three ways to survive in a ruined world.⸥
⸢I’ve forgotten a few by now. However, one thing’s for certain.⸥
⸢And that is, the you reading these words will get to survive.⸥
⸢This story is for just that one reader.⸥
Sep 6, 2022 6:08 PM

Jun 2012
Oh ho this was quite refreshing.
Sep 7, 2022 2:03 PM
Oct 2009
So I'm guessing this girl will grow up and go to Hogwarts on Mercury, and learn the Gundam-craft?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it necessary to watch this Prologue to understand the Sequel?

Barry_Allen_14 - Mar 26, 2023

10 by ClaudG »»
Mar 29, 2023 6:06 PM

» Crunchyroll just shadowdropped the dub for Prologue

The_Sum_of_Zero - Jan 30, 2023

1 by UltimateKai »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:50 PM

» Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury – PROLOGUE airs one week before the show's premiere.

MasterAdventZero - Sep 25, 2022

2 by ggultra2764 »»
Sep 25, 2022 4:14 PM

» Stream links

Atlos - Jul 15, 2022

12 by removed-user »»
Sep 16, 2022 10:29 PM

» "Mobile Suit Gundam the Witch from Mercury - PROLOGUE" is coming to Gundam Info outside of Japan on September 1

deg - Aug 17, 2022

2 by davidyodo24 »»
Sep 12, 2022 7:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.