Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 17, 2009 6:23 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
There is still a possibility that their respective families are all dead and they end up living together.....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 17, 2009 7:02 PM

Jan 2009
wakka9ca said:
There is still a possibility that their respective families are all dead and they end up living together.....
I won't discard that option. Could be posible.

Anyway good episode, I missed the Tripodes and Tom Cruise. I got the chills when Yuuki called for Mirai; "ONEEEE-CHAN" Omgawd, *Shrugs*.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 17, 2009 8:44 PM

May 2009
Crazy good episode in my opinion. I really like stories involving disasters for some reason.
I hope Mari's daughter and Mirai's parents are okay.. *gasp*
Jul 17, 2009 8:45 PM

Mar 2009
I'm just struck with Mari's calmness. I am not a person who freaks out but come on, you have a kid at home and there is a (magnitude 8) earthquake. I guess I expected her to act like a "mother".
Jul 17, 2009 8:57 PM

Sep 2007
TokyoNeonLight said:
I'm just struck with Mari's calmness. I am not a person who freaks out but come on, you have a kid at home and there is a (magnitude 8) earthquake. I guess I expected her to act like a "mother".

But what is freaking out going to do? Absolutely nothing. Mari understood that. Just because she's not screaming and crying her head off doesn't mean she's not worried.
Jul 17, 2009 8:58 PM

Jan 2008
@_@ THIS ANIME, IS SO GOOD. Holy crap. Ties Bakemonogatari for my favorite of the summer season.
Jul 17, 2009 9:08 PM

Dec 2008
TokyoNeonLight said:

To add to what Wasabi said:
The fact she's taking care of parent-less (at this place) kids instead of her own (since she cannot reach her just like that) is paternal instinct.

It's been discussed in the first 2 pages; her attitude is mature and normal. Freaking out would just make the 2 brats panic instead of being reassured.
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Jul 17, 2009 10:32 PM

Oct 2007
dragonshade said:
yea pretty good episode. But I wonder how the story would go from that. It seems like theres not much to talk about since earthquake is not enough to run 13 eps. but again, I dont know
Jul 17, 2009 10:50 PM

Apr 2009
This series is carrying on quite well so far. Has a good raw/gritty emotion to it, as should the setting be for such a tragedy. I really want to see how this develops.
Jul 17, 2009 11:33 PM

Jun 2009
The tragedy of this anime is a welcome change from some of the more light-hearted anime that I've been watching recently. I expected the search for her brother to have been the main event of the plot, but it seems that there is more to come. I can't wait for the next episode. It's currently in my top two fav for this season, along with Aoi Hana.

Also, the crushed birthday cake, is it alluding at something even more tragic? A very emotional thrill-ride.
Jul 17, 2009 11:41 PM

Aug 2007
Robydesu's post sums up a lot of my thoughts. :3

The animation was a lot better so I'm guessing that the crappy frame rate from the first episode was just the subs I had downloaded.

And like others have said, I get the feeling that the crushed birthday cake is hinting at: T_____T

5/5

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Jul 18, 2009 1:08 AM

Jan 2008
My thoughts on this episode:

But I enjoyed it.
Jul 18, 2009 2:15 AM

Jan 2009
WinterNightsFall said:
Robydesu's post sums up a lot of my thoughts. :3
so thumbs up for robbydesu then, as usual : p
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 18, 2009 3:53 AM

Jan 2009
This is absolutely great. The tension and emotions looked very real. The smooth animation as the first episode, and the plot wold make this one of the best this season, just like higashi no eden in Spring.
Jul 18, 2009 8:31 AM

Mar 2009
Wasabi said:
TokyoNeonLight said:

But what is freaking out going to do? Absolutely nothing. Mari understood that. Just because she's not screaming and crying her head off doesn't mean she's not worried.

I am not saying that freaking out will help. But she doesn't even remotely looks like she's worried. We have to wait until the end of the episode to find out that she has a kid, and it's her birthday.

Hakoria said:
TokyoNeonLight said:

To add to what Wasabi said:
The fact she's taking care of parent-less (at this place) kids instead of her own (since she cannot reach her just like that) is paternal instinct.

It's been discussed in the first 2 pages; her attitude is mature and normal. Freaking out would just make the 2 brats panic instead of being reassured.

It's not paternal but maternal. Paternal=fatherly, maternal=motherly.

And yes I agree that the panic would just make things worse for the kids, but come on. You don't have to freak out superficially to show that you are worried, and to me she didn't look worried. It wasn't even implied. Oh wait, it was, by music and Mirai. O_o

And i didn't read the first couple of pages but how is it possible not to be able to call somebody but you are able to watch news on the phone?
Jul 18, 2009 8:55 AM

Feb 2009
Wow, that was so touching. ;_;

The animation during the earthquake is great but that's not surprising, we already saw some sequences in the first episode.

Definitely a show with a lot of potential to be good.
Jul 18, 2009 9:53 AM

Dec 2008
TokyoNeonLight said:
It's not paternal but maternal. Paternal=fatherly, maternal=motherly.

And yes I agree that the panic would just make things worse for the kids, but come on. You don't have to freak out superficially to show that you are worried, and to me she didn't look worried. It wasn't even implied. Oh wait, it was, by music and Mirai. O_o

And i didn't read the first couple of pages but how is it possible not to be able to call somebody but you are able to watch news on the phone?

Eugh, my wrong there, thanks for correcting.
It's true that her calm is quite surprising, since even adults normally show some fears during such a time, and it's quite annoying to see her always smiling; they decide how the characters personality are, so I guess that's just how she'll be, even though the outside appearance made me expect otherwise.

I was surprised by the news on the phone part too but forgot about it by the end of the episode; don't know how that system works, but you're right about that being weird.
Jul 18, 2009 10:46 AM

Jan 2008
Wow, the second episode did not disappoint my expectations at all.

This is a really powerful show. The entire earthquake itself was extremely well done and realistic. The sense of terror and helplessness was evident throughout the action scenes. Did anyone else just get that pit feeling in your stomach seeing the after effects? I don't know about you, but thinking about something that catastrophic happening is a pretty terrifying thought.

What I find compelling is the interaction of the people during a disaster like this. In some cases in bring humanity closer together to get through a difficult time, but in other cases they push away or ignore. Though pairing up with the woman was a tiny bit deux ex machina, I think it's a crucial point in order to bring about the character growth and development that I am anticipating. When Mirai found her brother I actually teared up, it was so moving. I think this series is really going to get into the intricacies of relationships and behavior, I'm hooked on it.

robbydesu said:
Very emotional episode indeed. Episode did a very good job at portraying the fear and tension. I love Mirai's reactions - it was just so raw and real. I didn't know how tense I was about her finding Yuuki until she actually found him because I just unwillingly started to cry. I seriously felt the pure relief that Mirai felt.

^This.
morbidmuseJul 18, 2009 10:52 AM
Jul 18, 2009 12:01 PM

Jan 2009
MistressMorbid said:
robbydesu said:
Very emotional episode indeed. Episode did a very good job at portraying the fear and tension. I love Mirai's reactions - it was just so raw and real. I didn't know how tense I was about her finding Yuuki until she actually found him because I just unwillingly started to cry. I seriously felt the pure relief that Mirai felt.

^This.
^This.. is another one agreeing with robbydesu : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 18, 2009 12:49 PM

Sep 2008
Excellent Episode.

BTW I think the people of Tokyo have had their fair share of big earthquakes and minor ones too, they've been trained/used to them and know what to do in situations like these.

Thats why you see them mostly calm after the 8.0 shakedown.
Jul 18, 2009 3:12 PM

Mar 2009
Last earthquake that was measured 7.9 and 8.0 magnitude happened last year in China, and killed 69,227, injured 374,176 with 18,222 listed as missing, and left about 4.8 million people homeless. This all happened in a city of 15 million people.

Greater Tokyo Area has 35 million people, don't you think that you would shit your pants? The area is so dense populated that I would estimate some 200,000 dead and countless other people injured, missing and homeless.

You can get used to "regular" earthquakes but 8.0 M is a "great" earthquake. Think about it.
Jul 18, 2009 3:19 PM

Jan 2009
TokyoNeonLight said:
Last earthquake that was measured 7.9 and 8.0 magnitude happened last year in China, and killed 69,227, injured 374,176 with 18,222 listed as missing, and left about 4.8 million people homeless. This all happened in a city of 15 million people.

Greater Tokyo Area has 35 million people, don't you think that you would shit our pants? The area is so dense populated that I would estimate some 200,000 dead and countless other people injured, missing and homeless.

oh I really shouldn't do this... aaanyway, let's say we all live in Tokyo, and such an earthquake occurs.. 200,000 are confirmed dead, and as said, countless injured/missing.. let's say for example someone like me survives.. processing what has happened, realizing a lot of people died and/or are missing.. next thing happening, I want somewhere to sleep and get food, I couldn't care less about the dead, they're dead, nothing to do about it, I survived, I'm gonna continue doing that.
And that's the most likely scenario if a survivor had my personality.
sorry if my thoughts makes someone upset
Jul 18, 2009 3:28 PM

Mar 2009
Oosran said:
TokyoNeonLight said:

Greater Tokyo Area has 35 million people, don't you think that you would shit our pants? The area is so dense populated that I would estimate some 200,000 dead and countless other people injured, missing and homeless.

oh I really shouldn't do this... aaanyway, let's say we all live in Tokyo, and such an earthquake occurs.. 200,000 are confirmed dead, and as said, countless injured/missing.. let's say for example someone like me survives.. processing what has happened, realizing a lot of people died and/or are missing.. next thing happening, I want somewhere to sleep and get food, I couldn't care less about the dead, they're dead, nothing to do about it, I survived, I'm gonna continue doing that.

So you would rather be ignorant than, let's say, helpful?
Jul 18, 2009 3:38 PM

Jan 2009
TokyoNeonLight said:
Oosran said:
TokyoNeonLight said:

So you would rather be ignorant than, let's say, helpful?

I would start with making sure I can get all that I need myself first, then After that I Might try being helpful, depending on the situation around me. Say for example.. a dead guy lies around nearby, I would most certainly ignore him, since he's dead already.
Another.. a person with let's say a broken leg/arm or something stuck under w/e and can't get out, I would probably try to be of assistance..
and a third.. a guy who's Almost dead, as in about another hour of pain until he dies.. IF there was something I could do to help this guy who's beyond helping, I would, otherwise, I would help him by ending that pain, if he'd want it.
All of this is, ofc, assuming that there are no other "helpful" people around nor any chance of rescue in the next couple of days.
Jul 18, 2009 5:08 PM

Apr 2008
not bad episode ....how touching

Jul 18, 2009 6:41 PM

May 2008
It's easy to say all those things..... but actually doing it....

If I went trough this kind of situation, I can't tell what I would do! I really can't.... It's that kind of thing that you only know what you would do when you are experiencing it...

This episode was very emotional.... I never though I would cry in a 2 episode.... I felt so so relieved when they found yuuki.... And Mirai was so brave, she never gave up!

This is becoming my favorite of the season
Jul 18, 2009 7:19 PM

Aug 2008
Alexstratz said:
Wow, that was so touching. ;_;
*badass mode activated*
Jul 18, 2009 8:45 PM

Apr 2008
I'm thinking that the next several episodes will somehow involve a tsunamie. My guess is that the episode three will have them waking up and starting off to find their way home the episode will end with the tsunamie. This could easily play out until episode 5.
Jul 19, 2009 3:08 AM

Jan 2009
Simply fantastic, missing words, the situation is very real, great episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2009 3:19 AM

Jan 2009
southdkotaboy said:
I'm thinking that the next several episodes will somehow involve a tsunamie. My guess is that the episode three will have them waking up and starting off to find their way home the episode will end with the tsunamie. This could easily play out until episode 5.
yep, it's not really an exciting show at all : ( currently what keeps me watching is the hope that something Might happen
Jul 19, 2009 4:33 AM

Jun 2007
Great episode once again.

And I just read quickly through the topic so didn't read post in details, but I believe I saw someone saying that it's quite unrealistic that Yuuki wasn't shouting for help until he heard someone.

But actually, that's not true. Last thing you should do when you're struck by disaster is shouting non-stop as it will both sap your strength and make you lose your voice. Best thing to do is just shout once every 5-10 min...
Jul 19, 2009 6:57 AM

Jun 2008
it must be really scary to experience something like this in real life -_-
Jul 19, 2009 8:02 AM

Jul 2008
Great episode. I'm happy Yuuki didn't die.
I hope Hina and Mirai's parents are okay too.
Shadoww said:

Yeah, I would be scared shitless.
Jul 19, 2009 8:17 AM

Jan 2009
I don't know why but I did not enjoy this ep. The animation was good and the story progressed nicely but the main characters are what is turning me off this series. The girl is a nasty piece of work and very lifelike, this may be what is turning me off she keeps her teenage sarcasm and personality. I for one just cannot stand it....
Jul 19, 2009 8:19 AM

Jan 2008
Very nice episode. Everything was great - animation, story, and sound that I was moved about what happened. Mirai responded nicer now. And lastly, I am happy that cute Yuuki was okay. He reminds me of my cute cousin.
Jul 19, 2009 8:21 AM

Jan 2009
Lieila said:
Very nice episode. Everything was great - animation, story, and sound that I was moved about what happened. Mirai responded nicer now. And lastly, I am happy that cute Yuuki was okay. He reminds me of my cute cousin.
oh I'm just happy he doesn't remind me of my little brother, that would be an instant drop >.<
Jul 19, 2009 1:04 PM

Jun 2008
I keep watching the part with everything breaking over and over again. It looks so awesome :D
Jul 19, 2009 3:05 PM

Jul 2008
For the first time in 9 years of watching anime I almost cried. Yuuki reminds me alot of my little brother and since I live in California, the possibility of an earthquake of that magnitude is VERY possible.

I'm predicting Hina and Yuuki dying. I don't know why, but there was a bit of foreshadowing going on with the cake being smashed up and Yuuki getting lost. I'm imagining a TTGL moment like when Kamina found the skull of his dad.

This episode is amazing, no doubt about it and is probably the only good thing to come out of this season. There's a reason why it's coming out during the noitamina block. Great animation, storytelling, realism, and characters make for a great series.

Let's hope it keeps its tempo!

I don't know why but I did not enjoy this ep. The animation was good and the story progressed nicely but the main characters are what is turning me off this series. The girl is a nasty piece of work and very lifelike, this may be what is turning me off she keeps her teenage sarcasm and personality. I for one just cannot stand it....

It's called an ego. If I was in her position as a teenager, I too would be acting like a jackhat to make it look like I was strong. She's seperated from her parents and is taking up the role of a mother so acting like a jackhat is normal. I'm sure she will get more emotional as the episodes come in.
Jul 19, 2009 8:50 PM

Nov 2007
dragonshade said:
yea pretty good episode. But I wonder how the story would go from that. It seems like theres not much to talk about since earthquake is not enough to run 13 eps. but again, I dont know

well for one thing they've one hell of a walk to get back home and more than likely they'll run across refugees that have gone mad.
they're probably gonna pass by some famous landmarks along the way too just to show what they could look like after an earthquake.
the masochist says "hurt me! hurt me!" the sadist replies "no"
Jul 20, 2009 8:00 AM
Apr 2008
Wow a very emotional episode i actually cried a bit. It felt really realistic and the characters are starting to develop.
Jul 20, 2009 8:53 AM

Dec 2008
bubbleboy352 said:
well for one thing they've one hell of a walk to get back home and more than likely they'll run across refugees that have gone mad.

Some people have agreed on the fact that the Japanese wouldn't really vandalize stores and whatnot, but if they're never threatened/mugged during their journey by NON-foreigners, it'd be pure bs. It doesn't matter what race people are, there aren't such important differences in chaotic scenarios.

If you only see foreigners doing the bad things, it'd be pretty much racism. It will re-enforce people's opinion that outsiders are destroying Japan by their presence, strengthen xenophobia, and people will always go "Wow, look at how mean that American is!" instead of paying attention to the rest. If they plan on doing this just so they don't have to do deeper scenarios (since most people wouldn't notice them), then I'd be disappointed.

Let's hope that the worst won't happen.
Jul 20, 2009 9:03 AM

Jan 2009
Hakoria said:
bubbleboy352 said:

Some people have agreed on the fact that the Japanese wouldn't really vandalize stores and whatnot, but if they're never threatened/mugged during their journey by NON-foreigners, it'd be pure bs. It doesn't matter what race people are, there aren't such important differences in chaotic scenarios.

If you only see foreigners doing the bad things, it'd be pretty much racism. It will re-enforce people's opinion that outsiders are destroying Japan by their presence, strengthen xenophobia, and people will always go "Wow, look at how mean that American is!" instead of paying attention to the rest. If they plan on doing this just so they don't have to do deeper scenarios (since most people wouldn't notice them), then I'd be disappointed.

Let's hope that the worst won't happen.

Wow, look at how mean that American is!
Jul 20, 2009 9:59 AM

Apr 2007
Nicely executed disaster-movie fare so far, with, as previously noted, a slightly uneven mix of the very realistic and relatively implausible. The scene where Mari leaves the kids on the steps while going to her bike and it occurs to Mirai that Mari might not be coming back despite her smile and upbeat attitude was one of the nicer interactional moments I've seen in anime lately.

At this point I'm presuming all of the effects we'll see from this disaster will be almost exclusively seen through the eyes of this small group of core characters, which, while sort of limiting the story in a way, probably is the best way to do this.
Jul 20, 2009 10:28 AM

Dec 2008
Oosran said:

You got the timing all wrong, it didn't happen yet ):
Jul 20, 2009 11:02 AM

Jan 2009
Hakoria said:
Oosran said:

You got the timing all wrong, it didn't happen yet ):
yeah, but I couldn't possibly care less : ) just felt like it ^^
but are you perhaps saying.. that I am wrong?: O
Jul 20, 2009 11:22 AM

Nov 2007
Shadoww said:

Yeah, I would be scared shitless.

Mild earthquakes are scary enough, imagine 8.0. -shudder-

Why do some people keep saying their interactions are unrealistic? They seem really realistic to me, a lot more than tons of other characters I've watched. A lot of their actions and the way the respond really make me think, "Oh hey I would act like that too. Or I know people who'd act that way"

I doubt they'd keep everyone civilized. Just impossible. Even the nicest people can go crazy. After all it''s suppose to be very realistic: researched and verified.
..and Japanese people may not display "uncivilized acts" openly, but it doesn't mean they don't think about it. After a disaster, some people wouldn't care anymore right?

Umm. I don't know my geography, but aren't Mari and Mirai/Yuuki's homes quite far away from the earthquake? If that's the case it might be one interpretation of why they are quite calm.

Then again, you guys haven't addressed that, so I suppose their homes are close to where the earthquake happened. In that case, I'd like to see them end up living together. Well, it's mean but they seem to be really great for each other.
Jul 20, 2009 1:42 PM

Apr 2007
CookieBun said:

Umm. I don't know my geography, but aren't Mari and Mirai/Yuuki's homes quite far away from the earthquake? If that's the case it might be one interpretation of why they are quite calm.
This is roughly how things are laid out (large image within):

Mari's home is about four miles (straight-line distance) from their current location while Mirai/Yuuki's is around seven. All that was said of the epicenter of the quake was that it was in Northern Tokyo Bay, which probably means it was above the Aqua-Line bridge-tunnel. If it were closer to Haneda Airport (or even Odaiba, where they are right now), their homes might be at a higher risk. But the thing with earthquakes is that distance from epicenter is not the only thing you look at -- there are sometimes variables in the local geology that can cause higher damage even when further from the quake. My guess is they're not even close to done with the aftershocks yet. That might not have even been the main quake.

On an unrelated note, I wonder who works on that floor at the Fuji TV building that managed to keep its lights on after the quake. I'm guessing it's their bosses at the network. :)
Jul 20, 2009 2:29 PM
Jul 20, 2009 2:29 PM

Jan 2009
KanjiiZ said:
Cannibalism, anyone?
yeah, do it, I dare ya
Jul 20, 2009 2:31 PM

Nov 2007
Iri said:

Mari's home is about four miles (straight-line distance) from their current location while Mirai/Yuuki's is around seven. All that was said of the epicenter of the quake was that it was in Northern Tokyo Bay, which probably means it was above the Aqua-Line bridge-tunnel. If it were closer to Haneda Airport (or even Odaiba, where they are right now), their homes might be at a higher risk. But the thing with earthquakes is that distance from epicenter is not the only thing you look at -- there are sometimes variables in the local geology that can cause higher damage even when further from the quake. My guess is they're not even close to done with the aftershocks yet. That might not have even been the main quake.

Ah thank you for clarification. So as for now, it's unknown whether their families are safe. Hmmm. Now I really wonder how it's going to end.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Sporkness - Sep 10, 2009

214 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UnknownFact - Sep 4, 2009

134 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:05 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 27, 2009

180 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.