Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 24, 2009 10:14 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yays it's out just time to wait for its torrent =D
looks like its gonna be on the valentine day chapter (66) from the manga
ClearSinzApr 24, 2009 10:19 AM
Apr 24, 2009 11:54 AM

Jul 2008
the end with maria was nice. pretty funny how she compared herself with hayate.

Apr 24, 2009 2:41 PM

Apr 2009
Meh... first 2/3rds of the episode was boring... zzz...
Apr 24, 2009 4:28 PM

Jul 2008
pretty good episode
kinda sad since i was pretty sure that Hinagiku would've given Hayate her chocolates if not for Nishizawa's appearance

Kiseki said:
the end with maria was nice. pretty funny how she compared herself with hayate.
ya lol it was a must watch part too =D

antifayt said:

wtf you talking about? Hayate is neva boring =D

Apr 24, 2009 5:34 PM
Mar 2008
Valentine's ftw :3
Yes for Maria <3

& LOL @ Maria competing with Hayate's Chocolate
Was it a phoenix or something? xD
Apr 24, 2009 6:43 PM

Jan 2009
Another great episode about Valentines. What I liked (a lot): Nagi closing herself in, skipping school and not letting anyone inside of the place because she wants to do custom chocolates. Nishizawa! Liked a lot her in this episode. Hinagiku receiving so many chocolates from girls and forcing herself to eat them, LOL. Hinagiku helping Nishizawa to get Hayate into a room to meet him and confess, now that was nice. Hayate running after Nishizawa but only after being pushed by Hinagiku (great reason, to exchange for chocolate for one meant as love).
It was too funny to see Hayate ask father about love. It was even better when asked to Maria about love as she is virgin and not know nothing. Maria sugoi (amazing) chocolates). Nagi spending all night and day to make chocolates. Hayate costume cosplay by Maria imagination.
What I did not like

My favorite scene with whole chocolate scene of Maria and her being so shy. MOE Maria!

Nishizawa hug! That was nice.

Hayate in cosplay another part that was LOL.
Apr 24, 2009 7:13 PM
Oct 2007
ClearSinz said:

I'm really looking forward to that :D
Apr 24, 2009 7:22 PM

Sep 2008
well this season is a bit weird since we saw maria developing feelings for hayate
i belive that they are trying to pt in a little more of love into the anime
i think the nishisawa hug and the maria thing proved me rigth

so i think this anime is getting better i hope it continiues like that
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Apr 24, 2009 7:28 PM

Sep 2008
Zero_r2 said:
i belive that they are trying to pt in a little more of love into the anime
i think the nishisawa hug and the maria thing proved me rigth

I just hope it turns out as good as how the manga's going. Aside from that, it was a good episode. Mariya should feel special since she got Hayate's hand-made chocolate! Liked it, and I'm looking forward tot he next episode!

Ah and based on the next episode's preview.. it looks like it's going to be chapters 72-74 of the manga.
yunadestinedApr 24, 2009 7:59 PM
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Apr 24, 2009 7:52 PM

Feb 2009
I don't read the manga since I heard there was a second season closely after I finished the first and thought that reading it might spoil the anime, and yunadestined just proved me by saying JCstaff is doing so, so for some reason, and don't ask me why, but I'm randomly looking forward towards a Maria-Hayate relationship >.<. Maybe it's cause it's just comical, maybe they would work well as a 'hard-working' couple, lol. Or Maybe it's because she's the one he liked from the beginning xD.
Apr 24, 2009 7:58 PM

Jul 2008
everyone is having problems; nishisawa can't confess, again; hinagiku is getting chocolate from all the girls due to her tomboy attitude and can't face her feelings for hayate; maria is feeling depressed about her love life; nagi is making chocolate that you might need poison control and the bomb squad present for; hayate doesn't know what to do, and the priest ghost can't get any [chocolate]
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 24, 2009 8:53 PM

May 2008
Awesome episode XD
Apr 24, 2009 11:05 PM

Aug 2008
First half was borderline terrible, but once we got through with Ayumu, this episode began to be hilarious, with Norio butting in with narration, Maria lamenting her life, and a chocolate bake off that gave me more hilarious Maria moments.

I don't remember too well, but is it just me or is Hinagiku slightly different from the first season. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm kind or surprised by her actions in this more manga centric version. I don't think I would have ever used tomboy to describe her in the first show. I guess that's what it is...instead of being this perfect character who bails Hayate out and is afraid of heights, she's more "boyish"...and still kind of bailing him out..ahhhh, I don't know.
Apr 24, 2009 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
antifayt said:

Thought the same, it was not different from the standard Valentine episode.
At least there was Ayumu <3 and Hinagiku <3 ^^
Apr 24, 2009 11:25 PM

Feb 2008
Of the first four episodes I liked this one the least, I usually don't get a lot of the references but I don't think there were many, if any, in this one. The comedy was basic sitcom - nothing surprising, I was expecting a "fight to the death" between Nagi, Ayumu and Hina to decide who would give him chocolate - or Tama stealing the chocolate and leaving it for Klaus or something out of the ordinary instead we got:
feh leave the storyline to the manga.

And how come Chiharu wasn't explaining reality to Hina? Putting Miki in her place as a solo took away the obvious possibilities of the Student Council Trio
- One might suspect an attempt at cutting the budget by eliminating three voices.

All in all this was quite disappointing. HnG, one of my all time favorites, is rapidly devolving into medicority. I've watched the original 52 at least three times each but at this rate 13 and out might be a blessing.

Screw the storyline! Bring on the talking tigers! Bring on the lame villains! Bring on the outrageous anime, game and manga references even if I don't get them!

And as long as I'm ranting, this years opening is not even close to anything from last year; there is no joy or energy in it. And the Hina ending was cute - once - now it's becoming annoying.
chinaboatApr 24, 2009 11:42 PM
Apr 25, 2009 12:15 AM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:
First half was borderline terrible, but once we got through with Ayumu, this episode began to be hilarious, with Norio butting in with narration, Maria lamenting her life, and a chocolate bake off that gave me more hilarious Maria moments.

I don't remember too well, but is it just me or is Hinagiku slightly different from the first season. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm kind or surprised by her actions in this more manga centric version. I don't think I would have ever used tomboy to describe her in the first show. I guess that's what it is...instead of being this perfect character who bails Hayate out and is afraid of heights, she's more "boyish"...and still kind of bailing him out..ahhhh, I don't know.

Thinking they are showing us her maturing like that but it might develop further. Me think this is possible scenario of Hinagiku growing but not sure, just thinking about that.
Apr 25, 2009 12:46 AM

Apr 2008
rawrs~ so funny Maria trying to make a chocolate better looking than Hayate .. in the end Hayate just make a simple looking chocolate

Apr 25, 2009 1:10 AM
Jul 2018
Kei1ro said:
Hasn't Hinagiku already met Ayumu in the past? An example of this would be when the student council trio, Hina, and Ayumu fly to Rome near the end of Season 1? If so, what was the point of Hina asking for Ayumu's name?

Ah, I wondered about this too. But this story has to be obviously an earlier one in the manga - well, chapter 66 is a rather low number.
Apr 25, 2009 2:53 AM

May 2008
woohoo i would like to taste Maria's chocolate, and it seems like she is gaining a tsundere attitude haha

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 25, 2009 3:21 AM

Apr 2009
Kei1ro said:
Anyways I sort of got lost, I'm not sure if its a remake or a continuation anymore.

JC Staff ignored the timeline of season one, backtracking to one month after Hayate becomes a Sanzenin butler. My understanding is that they are merely filling in the chapters that Synergy left out after that one month period.
Apr 25, 2009 6:09 AM

Sep 2008
Kei1ro said:
Hasn't Hinagiku already met Ayumu in the past? An example of this would be when the student council trio, Hina, and Ayumu fly to Rome near the end of Season 1? If so, what was the point of Hina asking for Ayumu's name?

Hinagiku has met Nishizawa a few times in the past BUT now that I think about it, looking back at the first season's episode list, the episodes where Nishizawa and Hinagiku had met were never in the manga hence being an anime-only reference. Plus that episode you've mentioned where Hinagiku and Nishizawa went on a trip together was the last episode for season 1 and technically was just a bonus chapter from the manga hence just practically being a "special" episode if one may call it so.

antifayt said:

JC Staff ignored the timeline of season one, backtracking to one month after Hayate becomes a Sanzenin butler. My understanding is that they are merely filling in the chapters that Synergy left out after that one month period.

I had to relook this up in the manga again since it's been a really long while, and after doing so, I had just remembered that the sequencing for the chapters with regards to the episodes from the first season aren't in chronological order. Infact, a few of the episodes are taken from a few chapters a bit passed chapter 66 (the chapter which episode 4 of the 2nd season was based on).
Apr 25, 2009 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
Ah, I see so its not really a "season2" or a continuation, but a partial remake, and use of the original manga storyline.

Apr 25, 2009 11:26 AM

Feb 2008
yunadestined said:
BUT now that I think about it, looking back at the first season's episode list, the episodes where Nishizawa and Hinagiku had met were never in the manga hence being an anime-only reference. Plus that episode you've mentioned where Hinagiku and Nishizawa went on a trip together was the last episode for season 1 and technically was just a bonus chapter from the manga hence just practically being a "special" episode if one may call it so.

I'm not too familiar with the manga, were there many "anime only" episodes in the original 52?

It will be sad if all JC Staff's 13 episodes are based on pre-existing material from the manga with little or no acknowledgment of what's happened in the world of anime since the first episodes were created.
Apr 25, 2009 11:34 AM
Jul 2018
chinaboat said:
if all JC Staff's 13 episodes

What? 13 episodes? Any source for that? I'd be really surprised ....
Apr 25, 2009 12:07 PM

Jan 2009
chinaboat said:
I'm not too familiar with the manga, were there many "anime only" episodes in the original 52?

Excuse me for being blunt, but Season 1 was a complete disaster when it comes to the storylines. It was mostly true until around episode 19, and then all we got were unconnected filler, jumping around in the timeline like mad. All important _real_ storylines were omitted in S1.

It will be sad if all JC Staff's 13 episodes are based on pre-existing material from the manga with little or no acknowledgment of what's happened in the world of anime since the first episodes were created.

Just the other way round. Forget any S1 episode after episode 19. Now J.C.Staff is picking up the story where Synergy left it, and we finally get to see the important stuff. Just ignore the later part of S1. They didn't happen yet.
Apr 25, 2009 12:26 PM

Aug 2008
I'll be blunt too...what looks like Hayate's main story seems to revolve solely around the Nagi, Hina, Maria, Hayate polygon. So far, I've found the actual plot to be mediocre verging on bad, and waiting with bated breath for any kind of comedy. For god's sake, they are wasting Norio Wakamoto in this version.

I'm just hoping that we'll get back to some of the rapid fire pace and blazing parody that saved the first season from being a bland romantic comedy. I don't mind having a more structured plot as long as it's good, but so far, I've seen nothing good in the plot department.

Apr 25, 2009 12:33 PM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:
I'll be blunt too...what looks like Hayate's main story seems to revolve solely around the Nagi, Hina, Maria, Hayate polygon. So far, I've found the actual plot to be mediocre verging on bad, and waiting with bated breath for any kind of comedy. For god's sake, they are wasting Norio Wakamoto in this version.

Ayumu is fairly important in the main storyline too, especially in her triangle relationship with Hina and Hayate.

I'm just hoping that we'll get back to some of the rapid fire pace and blazing parody that saved the first season from being a bland romantic comedy. I don't mind having a more structured plot as long as it's good, but so far, I've seen nothing good in the plot department.

I can hardly express how fed up I was after 30 episodes of rapid fire filler without a trace of proper character development. And I remember that this sentiment was shared by the vast majority of manga fans, who were livid that all important main arcs were omitted.

If you can't summon up the patience for the time they spend in the character development department, too bad for you. Rewatch S1. I bet you'll have forgotten most of it, because that was pretty much how consequential it was with the endless resets. In the meantime, please let the manga fans enjoy their parts :)
Apr 25, 2009 1:21 PM

Aug 2008
I don't think you understood the most important part of my post: Good plot is good, and I don't mind/welcome it. Perhaps I'm being impatient, but they already techincally had 19 episodes (so you say) of setup from the first season as far as main plot is concerned. With that in mind, I've been waiting almost 2 years for the main stoyline, which I think is being quite patient myself. So, I guess the question is: Is the plot that good to need 23 episodes of set up? Good is good, and so far, they've exchanged good for bland. With the exception of the priest, of course.

Also, quick questions regarding what is and isn't the main plot.
-Hayate seeing Nagi's grandfather and that whole jewel stuff.
-The end of the season where Hayate goes back into time (it seems to have been referenced).
-The love polygon with Wataru/Nagi/Isumi/Saki.
-There are others, but I'll ask them as I remember.

Apr 25, 2009 1:51 PM

Apr 2008
great episode. 5/5 as usual for HnG.

im quite impressed with JC Staff right now. this feels no different than the first season
Apr 25, 2009 1:53 PM

Apr 2009
i can already see whats happing and love is spreading around
Apr 25, 2009 2:00 PM

Jan 2009
Really enjoy some plot development with the romance instead of just constant action (like last episode) or just random parody episodes.

Its why I don't like anime like Lucky Star because no plot development, just random encounters but at least Hayate tries to steer the the course of the series onto the main plot e.g. Hayate paying off his massive debt.

I just hope it doesn't end up like SR.
Apr 25, 2009 3:49 PM

Jul 2008
well there is actually an interesting plot to hayate, it just really depends if JC Staff is willing to stick with the manga all the way
noteDhero said:

-The end of the season where Hayate goes back into time (it seems to have been referenced).

Apr 25, 2009 4:15 PM

Sep 2008
ClearSinz said:
well there is actually an interesting plot to hayate, it just really depends if JC Staff is willing to stick with the manga all the way
noteDhero said:

As far as JCstaff is concerned with regards to their adaptation to Kenjiro Hata's Hayate The Combat Butler! They have been following the manga plot and as I've mentioned before in an earlier response that, based on the preview for next week's episode, it'll be chapters 72-74 that'll be animated. So with that said, it looks like JCstaff is definitely staying true to the plot.

The last episode for season 1 was just an "omake" chapter in the manga, commemorating Golden Week hence it being a "special" episode if one may call it.

yunadestinedApr 25, 2009 4:19 PM
Apr 25, 2009 4:23 PM

Jul 2008

k thx very much yunadestined did a lot better better job explaining than i did =D
and dam that's kinda of a big leap XD if they keep going by 10s they will hit the "good" parts in no time =D
i only read the translated chapters, cant stand reading raw manga , especially when i gots not clue as to wtf is happening XD

Apr 25, 2009 7:43 PM

Feb 2008
HoaRy said:
chinaboat said:
if all JC Staff's 13 episodes

What? 13 episodes? Any source for that? I'd be really surprised ....

ANN lists 13 air dates for the sequel, I assume they'll all be done by JC Staff, isn't that the way it usually works?
Apr 26, 2009 4:32 AM

Jan 2009
chinaboat said:
ANN lists 13 air dates for the sequel, I assume they'll all be done by JC Staff, isn't that the way it usually works?

ANN is no reliable source. For example, they also have FMA Brotherhood listed for 13 episodes, even though this is almost guaranteed to run for a year. It simply means they have 13 eps _so far_

I'd be extremely surprised if the show wouldn't go for AT LEAST 2 seasons (26 eps), probably a full year.
Apr 26, 2009 5:11 AM
Jul 2008
Wee Valentine's Episode. Lol at Hinagiku receiving the chocolates instead of giving it away, sucked she didn't give hers away. Another funny part was Hayate was indirectly insulting Maria without knowing he was doing so. Sucks for Maria for missing out on her childhood and not even getting one boyfriend yet. Maria's cake looked so cool. Hayate making basic heart chocolates at the end and even giving one to Maria.
Apr 26, 2009 5:37 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Lol, poor Maria. ^^;

Was a decent Valtine's episode, Ayumu looked cute.

Mentar said:
chinaboat said:

ANN is no reliable source. For example, they also have FMA Brotherhood listed for 13 episodes, even though this is almost guaranteed to run for a year. It simply means they have 13 eps _so far_

I'd be extremely surprised if the show wouldn't go for AT LEAST 2 seasons (26 eps), probably a full year.
No, you guys need to pay attention. Compare a few other ANN titles where the episode count is known. Those usually say 'Number of Episodes'. All you can see right now is 'Episode Titles', that's a completely different thing and something like ANN's default setting for popular/known shows. Anime with those kind of entries on the ANN info pages don't have an episode number set in stone yet.
cyruzApr 26, 2009 5:42 AM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 26, 2009 6:02 AM

Jan 2008
just cant get enough of Hina

Apr 26, 2009 8:02 AM

Jul 2008
penk said:
just cant get enough of Hina

agreed =D
just wait there will be even more Hina in the next 2 episodes =D promise =D
Apr 26, 2009 9:17 AM

Jan 2008
cool..hopefully she will still get more appearance from now on.she's just about the only reason i kept watching those 52 episodes of last season

Apr 26, 2009 10:23 AM

Jan 2008
I thought hinagiku met nishizawa before... how come it looks like they met for the first time in this episode...

they've met in the ova befoer too...
Apr 26, 2009 11:26 AM

Mar 2009
Overall a really awesome episode, REALLY loved the Maria part xD Maybe abit dissapointed that Hinagiku didn't take this chance to show her girly side, though she might get another chance soon...
Apr 26, 2009 11:46 AM

Jul 2008
SwordWielder said:
I thought hinagiku met nishizawa before... how come it looks like they met for the first time in this episode...

they've met in the ova befoer too...

true i think they want a fresh start lolz dont want to confuse veiwers, who are watching this for first or have not seen the ova/first season

Snoppdraken said:
Overall a really awesome episode, REALLY loved the Maria part xD Maybe abit dissapointed that Hinagiku didn't take this chance to show her girly side, though she might get another chance soon...

soon= next 2 episodes =D
Apr 26, 2009 1:09 PM

Jan 2007
Enjoyed this episode. They did a good job with the adaptation of this particular chapter in the manga. I hope they can keep this up.
Apr 26, 2009 1:59 PM

Aug 2008
Snoppdraken said:

We have the same sentiments.

Honestly, I didn't reconsider the story part of this show. In fact, I really don't care if there is a story or a plot. I'm merely watching this show just for entertainment, parody, comedy, and random fun.

Anyway, I didn't notice that there were a few discrepancies on the first and second season when it comes to character relations. But who cares?

Apr 26, 2009 2:51 PM

Oct 2007

yunadestined said:

Ah, thanks for the background yuna. I was a little confused why they'd reference certain history and ignore others. This is going to make things a little confusing though.

I loved this episode. From the Nishizawa parts to the Hina parts to the Maria parts, I thought all of them were funny and touching at the same time.

I don't know how the manga storyline turns out, but I am a little afraid that they're gonna School Rumble the ending with Hayate not making any choices. While I could live with that in season 1, because the romance part was in the background, now that it's become more important, I really want to see it have a conclusive ending.

It's funny how Nagi seems to be falling further and further into the background. Not that I'm complaining. There's a lot of characters in this show, and IMO, she doesn't add much to it.

lol @ Wataru reading Newsweek. What is he 30?
Apr 26, 2009 2:55 PM

Oct 2008
Maria was hilarious. Reacting the Hayate talk about relationships and then with the chocolate making. I would hope she ends up with Hayate since she seems like the most sane person around him. And with that voice and her "older" woman looks, how can he not pick her?

Nishizawa is boring, but I think one can't help feel sorry for her and root for her a little. She's competing with some strong personalities and she's just a plain jane. Underdog stories are always nice. Most likely won't happen in this series though.
Apr 26, 2009 3:06 PM

Sep 2008
cyruz said:
No, you guys need to pay attention. Compare a few other ANN titles where the episode count is known. Those usually say 'Number of Episodes'. All you can see right now is 'Episode Titles', that's a completely different thing and something like ANN's default setting for popular/known shows. Anime with those kind of entries on the ANN info pages don't have an episode number set in stone yet.

Exactly what I said earlier.. There's still no statement from JC regarding a definite episode count for the series.. BUT since it's JC.. we're looking at around 24-26 episodes at least.. The only other series I know that JC has taken part of to have gone way beyond the usual 24-26 episode count was Daa! Daa! Daa!(UFO Baby) and Prince of Tennis.

rabbitpoets said:
I don't know how the manga storyline turns out, but I am a little afraid that they're gonna School Rumble the ending with Hayate not making any choices. While I could live with that in season 1, because the romance part was in the background, now that it's become more important, I really want to see it have a conclusive ending.

Don't worry, as far as the story is going on in the manga.. it's very very very very far from a School Rumble ending.

yunadestinedApr 26, 2009 3:30 PM
Apr 26, 2009 6:22 PM

Oct 2007
yunadestined said:

Don't worry, as far as the story is going on in the manga.. it's very very very very far from a School Rumble ending.

lol, full on harem eh? Sounds like we could be seeing more seasons of Hayate.

I'm not really picky as to who he'll end up with, as I like most of the characters, I just hope he chooses someone... Well, besides Nagi. ;-)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ClearSinz - Apr 10, 2009

91 by mySaudate »»
May 22, 2023 2:57 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

game8910 - Sep 18, 2009

140 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 13, 2023 11:50 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 11, 2009

61 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 12, 2023 6:00 PM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jun 19, 2009

103 by MiMiXSheShe »»
Apr 6, 2023 2:25 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 22 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 28, 2009

46 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 5, 2023 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.