Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 16, 2009 5:15 PM

Dec 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode was quite dramatic...

well, senseis trip to hell will be even more painfull after he knows that she will be follow him soon...

i think he would rather commit suicide than letting her pay that price!?
Jul 28, 2009 3:19 AM

Sep 2007
Definately interesting seeing a reversal in how it ended up being used. Using hell as an escape in the end rather than a means for punishing someone. Seems like hellgirl has some problems as well.
Sent with Mal Updater

Jul 28, 2009 10:11 PM

May 2009
I liked this episode a lot.. But I wish the two of them could have been happy together, without her having to pull the thread.
Sep 19, 2009 10:39 AM

Aug 2009
I think Enma has a heart also. XD

And man, the sensei is a good guy, why would he go to hell!? Bastard didn't know that the puller of the string will also go to hell afterwards. :(
Nov 8, 2009 3:05 PM

Apr 2009
That was sad.... :(
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Nov 18, 2009 5:09 PM

Aug 2008
I felt sad for both of them...

Next episode looks interesting.

Nov 22, 2009 5:44 PM
Nov 2009
Yeah that made me rather sad i whish it wouldof just worked out for them both
Dec 28, 2009 7:54 PM

Nov 2009
this epi was soooooo sad!!! he doesnt deserve to go to hell!!! i really cried when he did and was watching the girl *sob*
Feb 1, 2010 5:36 PM
Sep 2009
;_;
Nuuuu~ D:
Just my two cents.
Mar 20, 2010 8:15 AM

Aug 2008
If the sensei wanted to die, he could have just committed suicide or something. I don't understand his logic at all.
Apr 18, 2010 2:08 AM

Aug 2008
darkerealm said:
If the sensei wanted to die, he could have just committed suicide or something. I don't understand his logic at all.

+1

sad episode but well, finally quite other script than in previous eps
May 16, 2010 5:24 AM

Oct 2009
Different and amazing episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2010 12:42 PM

Apr 2010
Sad and great. I wish Sensei hadn't made her pull the string, rather commited suicide... I wonder what will happen in the next ep, seems it's going to be even more different than this one.
If I was to make a guess I would say that Emma Ai and Tsugumi's(or whatever she's called) relationship is that Tsugumi is going to be the next Hell Girl. Seems kinda crazy, but that's what I think. That would be really sad and strange, tho...
Jul 3, 2010 8:29 AM

Jul 2008
I wouldn't have pulled the string this time.
Oct 14, 2010 7:53 AM

Mar 2010
omg T_T so sad ... and I wouldnt have pulled it either .. he could have just done it himself .. but I guess like she said in the end she wanted to be in hell together , she might have gone to heaven if she didnt right ? sure made me cry D:
Oct 16, 2010 11:51 AM

Oct 2009
Since when did Hell= Peace
Poor sensei:(.........
Oct 17, 2010 8:19 AM

Sep 2009
Am I the only person who deosnt think this was a sad ep?
I thought it was rather dumb actually.
if he wanted to die so badly then commit suicide.
I cant believe she even submitted his name just because she din wanna go back to sch.
and what makes him think Hell will be peaceful? steups
Just because he wont have to interact with humans doesnt mean the eternity of torture is gonna be sweet.
Oct 25, 2010 4:40 PM

Jul 2010
darkerealm said:

I think it's cauz he "feared" he wouldn't go to hell and since she already put his name on the site he thought that would be the fastest way.

@Salmissra, if there's a guy at your door who's knocking on it non stop day after day after day I would go crazy. Really, I couldn't stand it this episode so I kinda understand it... I liked the ep, prob the best one so far but so sad... I loved sensei, he was such a nice guy :(
Dec 25, 2010 2:42 PM

Dec 2010
One of the best episodes ever. Is it so difficult to understand, that Hell looks like Heaven to him? Just imagine what the Life was for him, then.
Dec 26, 2010 7:48 PM

Jan 2010
a sad episode, I feel bad for both of them ..
Dec 28, 2010 12:02 PM

Aug 2010
Sometimes i honestly can't follow peoples logic in this show.
Feb 16, 2011 1:28 PM

Oct 2008
Enma looked sadder than usual. =/
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 2, 2011 6:11 PM

Apr 2008
darkerealm said:

hmm

+ He didn't know that person who pull the string will go to hell
+ and he couldn't do anything to his current state of affairs for various reasons so

= i see it that way, that he saw escape and salvation from the hands of someone else who understands him and can help him out, therefore he asked that person if he could send him to hell, even if it was hell, he was fine with it since it has given him the means of escape of the cruel things he couldn't stand.
Apr 6, 2011 10:04 AM
Aug 2010
What a sad episode, and that sensei is so stupid he could just commit suicide.
Apr 11, 2011 8:37 PM
Jul 2009
Salmissra said:
I cant believe she even submitted his name just because she din wanna go back to sch.
Just because he wont have to interact with humans doesnt mean the eternity of torture is gonna be sweet.

Like.
Jul 17, 2011 11:27 PM

Jun 2011
KeiranShikari said:

Yeah, it didn't make much sense as to why that young girl would want to go to hell just to help the guy out...It was definitely a sad episode but I have to say when she say that teacher's phone buzz i was a little weirded out.
Oct 18, 2011 6:51 AM

Jan 2009
Not sure where all the confusion is coming from unless I totally missed something:

1. Sensei asked her to pull the string because he was unaware of the repercussions to her for pulling the string. I'm sure asking her to pull the string on a doll is a much easier way to get to hell than to commit suicide which can go wrong for any number of reasons. I'm pretty sure that he would not have asked her to pull the string if he knew it would result in her going to hell also.
2. She obviously pulled the string because after getting to know him she wanted to be with him even if it was in hell. When she is shown after he is on his way to hell she even asks him to wait for her.
Jan 16, 2012 6:39 AM

Dec 2011
EmiyaShirou said:
darkerealm said:

hmm

+ and he couldn't do anything to his current state of affairs for various reasons so

= i see it that way, that he saw escape and salvation from the hands of someone else who understands him and can help him out, therefore he asked that person if he could send him to hell, even if it was hell, he was fine with it since it has given him the means of escape of the cruel things he couldn't stand.
junitodx said:
Not sure where all the confusion is coming from unless I totally missed something:
1. Sensei asked her to pull the string because he was unaware of the repercussions to her for pulling the string. I'm sure asking her to pull the string on a doll is a much easier way to get to hell than to commit suicide which can go wrong for any number of reasons. I'm pretty sure that he would not have asked her to pull the string if he knew it would result in her going to hell also.
2. She obviously pulled the string because after getting to know him she wanted to be with him even if it was in hell. When she is shown after he is on his way to hell she even asks him to wait for her.

I totally agree with you two.

**Did anyone catch that line by Shibata Tsugumi at 22:04 where she says something that sounds to me like 「これでいの地獄わこくわくで。」 which my subs translate to "It's fine here. Hell is paradise." ...VERY interesting if subs were correct... Does anyone know the kanji for what she actually said there? I couldn't figure out exactly what she said.

The sad part to me wasn't the fact that they went to hell, but that in the next episode, Enma-san says that

5/5
Signature:
Aug 5, 2012 12:13 PM

May 2012
Well this was quite the sad episode for both of them and even if he didn't do anything wrong he went to hell!

Up to the next one!
Sep 14, 2012 7:15 PM

Apr 2011
Double Tragic events!

The sensei stresses about his daily life and looking toward sucide to end his pain. The student also in a similar situation. It's to bad they couldn't help each other through this and took the easy route.

Sensei did not know about the backfire condition, I bet he wouldn't go through with it... This episode really stings the heart of Japanese people...

Anyone think there was some romance between the two?
Nov 30, 2012 11:11 PM

Aug 2012
EmiyaShirou said:

hmm

junitodx said:

I agree with you both. nicely explained!

vansonbee said:

Anyone think there was some romance between the two?

yup, i also thought that they have this emotional attachment towards each other, after they realized that both have similar problem...

best episode so far 5/5

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Apr 16, 2013 4:06 PM

Feb 2013
he fucked up
Jun 15, 2013 7:05 PM

Jun 2012
at first my thoughts where he did nothing wrong and he didn't indeed but then he ask her to sent him to hell wtf who would want to go to hell and sad for the girl she had no bad intentions but it was a great episode.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Apr 26, 2014 8:08 PM

Jun 2011
Salmissra said:

I agree. I had to "lolwut" when they said "Your revenge is granted." after the string was pulled, because this is not even a "revenge", and they just dragged an innocent person into hell, so.. what's up with investigation and shit? -.-
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 23, 2014 4:06 PM

Dec 2013
If the teacher wanted to go to hell why didn't he just kill himself instead of condemning the student as well? Just to make it more dramatic? I think someone was drunk when he wrote this episode.
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Jun 13, 2014 3:00 AM

Dec 2013
Such a depressing episode! And just when I thought no one was gonna die. :(
And seriously!? People still going on about why didn't he just commit suicide?
Committing suicide has a lot of repercussions. Even after you die. And some people can't commit it themselves even if they do want to die. Plus he didn't know that the other person goes to hell. How was he supposed to know, hell I would never had thought the other person would go to hell if they sought their grievance to be avenged.
Jul 1, 2014 4:35 AM
Dec 2013
I can understand wanting to die, but wanting to go to hell? Does he think reaching heaven is impossible that he wants to go to hell?
Oct 3, 2014 12:54 AM

Nov 2013
Well this episode was fucking depressing. A hikikomori, and a depressed teacher desiring to go to hell. My question is, why would the teacher want to go to hell? He could have just killed himself without any consequences. Dude's a masochist that's for sure.
FunnyRatmanOct 3, 2014 12:58 AM

Oct 9, 2014 7:33 AM

Jan 2014
WeShootBurglars said:

same here
Oct 17, 2014 5:59 AM

Dec 2012
Probably my favorite scenario yet. I really felt for the teacher and that relationship of solitude and escapism he had with Sawai was bittersweet. Not only that, but this episode shows how Ai is conflicted about her duties.
Nov 30, 2014 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
It was quite dramatic. But, to be honest, I really like the plot of this one. It was interesting and much diffrent. I'm sure it will last in our minds for longer than the others. Maybe somebody will say I'm strange but for me this episode was even darker than the rest, althrough there weren't blood, killing or stuff like that. It just made me think a lot and I can't stop
Dec 24, 2014 1:04 AM

Aug 2013
Hmm.. I don't understand how the loli girl see visions and stuff.
That guy feels more like a stalker.. but I want to know more about Ai too.
She's one of the most mysterious character I know.
Feb 2, 2015 3:08 AM
May 2013
EShirou said:
darkerealm said:

hmm

He wanted to escape to hell from cruel things. I think if he was in hell they would use all the things he hated as a method of torture.

Also he should have done it himself. If he couldn't do it, why ask her to do it... right, he didn't know she'd be sent to Hell BUT why make a student do it.They still have their whole life ahead of them, things will change and you will regret decisions you made in high school. Remember how they text each other and that made them happy... and they finally meet...i thought they would become friends and help each other through hard times maybe even go to heaven to live happily ever after... but no Hell was the best choice here, the best place for lovers to be together. -_-
May 12, 2015 9:49 AM

Jul 2013
I didn't understand this episode, Were they dating? Did he know he was texting with her or was he thinking it was just some other random girl?
May 28, 2015 7:05 AM

Dec 2014
Looks llike big juicy plot is coming up next ep.
Feb 1, 2016 8:35 PM

Mar 2011
Splendid! Incredible dramatic atmosphere, this was definitely the best episode for me.
Feb 7, 2016 5:10 AM
Feb 2016
Well on the part when it said he'll is actually heaven is was like you nigga whaaaat?
Feb 11, 2016 1:38 PM
Aug 2012
Some bastards deserves to be ferried to hell directly, because they had done things that couldn't be fixed
Mar 20, 2016 11:01 AM

Mar 2015
Well.. that was interesting different approach.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 11 Discussion

Moonfrost - Sep 19, 2009

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chilli-Kun - Jan 31, 2008

78 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

sugarplumfairy - Oct 2, 2008

91 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 4:17 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitamaking - Oct 4, 2008

106 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 1:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.