Forum Settings
Forums

Light Novel 'Mahou Sensou' to Get Anime Adaptation (Confirmed as TV Series to Start Jan 2014)

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 28, 2013 5:02 AM

May 2010
Wtf is with all those light novels getting anime.
Hopefully at least one will turn out to be good... Mahou Sensou could actually not be that bad, and I like the artstyle most.
Jul 28, 2013 5:04 AM
Jul 2011
Another bunch of LN anime adaptations ? I couldn't care less.
Jul 28, 2013 5:12 AM
Dec 2012
Never read this (because i can't find it on B-T). But from the synopsis its maybe familiar with madan no ou to vanadis or seirei tsukai no blade dance,i'll give it a try then. I'll be waiting. :)
Jul 28, 2013 5:36 AM

Apr 2009
BigSimo said:

where else? this is an anime website. where else should i express my anime opinions?

It's pointless arguing, they won't listen anyway. Always remember:
Asimov said:
The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 28, 2013 5:47 AM

Nov 2012
DAT PV seems legit,
I think it's worth it
Jul 28, 2013 5:59 AM

Jun 2008
Downgrade355 said:
Wtf? 5 harem-ish moe-ish Light novels announced to get an anime at once LOL
Looks like the seasonly chart is gonna be even more filled with harems than it already was, dayum japan.

...was thinking the same...
Btw, why not make one news post instead of five...? :O
Jul 28, 2013 6:06 AM
Sep 2010
-Korban- said:
Four trash-titles announced at once. :

Yeah exactly! there are alot of great manga's out there that need to be animated, but they choose such hopeless ones out of them to animate?!!
Jul 28, 2013 6:10 AM

Sep 2012
BigSimo said:
HauntingShock said:

Do it somewhere else.

where else? this is an anime website. where else should i express my anime opinions?
Yeah, but also prepared to react to your opinions, particularly if they are ones that are expressed with strong words. like your trash mentality approach LOL.

To be honest I would say that the variety is just not so much changed as before but the business model have changed. If anything it can be even argued that there are more variety because the midnight time slot offers a way to do anime that is not as feasible as before, and LN adaptation as well as harem or SoL anime are variety that did not exist so much in 2000 or before. It is just this growth of variety does not suit your "high taste" that bothers you, but this kind of attitude is just narrow-mindedness and utter failure to see how anime as it is - a kind of popular entertainment that has to follow the soci-economic trend in Japan. As for moe trend, it is almost everywhere now and it is just a matter of whether you notice it or not. If this is bothering you you just might as well start another hobby for your spare time.

my argument is that these adaptations will suck, and these types of anime are almost always bad, and i am sad that more and more of them are being made while less and less interesting, unique shows are produced. i started the argument because people were disagreeing with me about this. i wasn't wondering WHY these types of shows are successful - i already knew that.
The point is those adaptations are never meant to people like you, so just don't act as though if these adaptations did not exist more of the type of work you love would then be made. This is why people disagree with you, seeing you sitting on some high horse condemning people who are so low that they like HDxD or Madan (and worse for liking them because they find the story to be good) just because you think they are "utter trash" (which is a trashy argument anyway). Anyway, I do not see there was necessarily more unique or original shows in the past - it is more like people having "good old days" reminiscence which tells more about how their present (or how they don't like it) than the reality in the past.

DraconisMarch said:
symbv said:
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
You know you don't have an argument when you just say this over and over and over again.
Well it is not just LOL I wrote in my posts though, and of course those posts do not try to make any argument because the posts I replied to did not try to give any argument but just cheap potshots (yes, your posts are the prime examples) so a reply in kind is only fair, but at least I have the sense to put LOL to lighten it with some sense of humor LOL
symbvJul 28, 2013 6:45 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 28, 2013 6:41 AM

Dec 2011
will check these out if:
1) the Japanese Blu-ray releases has subs and the cover art looks cool (lol)
2) when its released in the US

i long for the days when more cyberpunk/sci-fi/Psychological materiel gets adapted..
Jul 28, 2013 6:42 AM
Mar 2013
Face_Faith said:
Downgrade355 said:
Wtf? 5 harem-ish moe-ish Light novels announced to get an anime at once LOL
Looks like the seasonly chart is gonna be even more filled with harems than it already was, dayum japan.

...was thinking the same...
Btw, why not make one news post instead of five...? :O

it's only announce they will get an anime.

and we don't know if this came out one by one in different season or not.
Jul 28, 2013 6:42 AM

Jul 2013
Yvese said:
-Korban- said:
Four trash-titles announced at once. :
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Definitely my treasure :P
Dem timezones, just saw this now.

Edit: I noticed Mahouka Koukou no Reittosei didn't get an adaptation, this is really strange since it appears to be the most popular one. Maybe they are planning to do it on a event that panders to a larger audience.

JoksPacifistJul 28, 2013 7:04 AM
Jul 28, 2013 7:04 AM

Nov 2008
HauntingShock said:
Illustrations look interesting. I wonder how the story would go though.

WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING TOO
Jul 28, 2013 7:40 AM

Aug 2011
VioLink said:
Stark700 said:

Woah woah woah woah woah okay now I'm interested.

Yeah I got pretty interested just after watching that preview. The art is really good. Okay I might be looking forward to this the most out of all of them.
Jul 28, 2013 7:45 AM

Feb 2009
JoksPacifist said:

Edit: I noticed Mahouka Koukou no Reittosei didn't get an adaptation, this is really strange since it appears to be the most popular one. Maybe they are planning to do it on a event that panders to a larger audience.
Different publishers. Mahouka is from Dengeki Bunko while this major adaptation announcement are LNs from MF Bunko J.
Jul 28, 2013 7:55 AM

Jul 2013
belatkuro said:
JoksPacifist said:

Different publishers. Mahouka is from Dengeki Bunko while this major adaptation announcement are LNs from MF Bunko J.

I see, sorry for the misunderstanding.
I thought such thing because both are owned by Kadokawa group, isn't it ?
Jul 28, 2013 7:56 AM

Oct 2012
What five light novels are getting anime adaptations you ask?

Pretty much every new LN being translated on Baka-Tsuki with a hot chick on it. Hooray for the future.
\_/ O \_/
/ \
\ /
/¯\ O /¯\
Jul 28, 2013 8:14 AM

Jul 2007
Kapodaco said:
What five light novels are getting anime adaptations you ask?

Pretty much every new LN being translated on Baka-Tsuki with a hot chick on it. Hooray for the future.

Bonus adaptation chance points on if its tsundere loli in generic fantasy world.
Extra chance points if it has harem elements...

oh gods...
Jul 28, 2013 8:21 AM

Sep 2011
symbv said:
Because in your narrow mind harem, ecchi and romance are always equal to trash LOL Perhaps we should call this trash mindset LOL LOL

Ouch symbv, didn't know you can get so harsh lol.
Jul 28, 2013 8:28 AM

Sep 2012
^ Remember, those are people who deem they have a more exquisite taste and others have trash taste, and can think of nothing to say but harsh statements just to show how they are so much better than others.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 28, 2013 8:28 AM

Feb 2010
Could be good, will probably check it out at least.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 28, 2013 8:31 AM

Apr 2009
symbv said:
^ Remember, those are people who deem they have a more exquisite taste and others have trash taste, and can think of nothing to say but harsh statements just to show how they are so much better than others.

While it is certainly true that nobody can fault a show for something that it wasn't trying to do, it is worth discussing if the current trend in anime/LN/manga is affecting storywriting quality to a positive or negative degree. Sure, series like GitS ARISE or PsychoPass still get made but is the quality of the writing really as good as in flagships of the genres in earlier decades?
And isn't the overly strong focus on a single trend harming diversity, especially with a schism in the overall fandom as well as changing consumer group pandering towards a largely hardcore, rather narrow-minded crowd itself? Blatant escapism seems to be a priority among certain otakus and their disregard for anything that isn't filled with the tropes that can be found in these five titles is imho just as bad the disregard of anything with them in it by some Western fans.
NidhoeggrJul 28, 2013 8:38 AM
Jul 28, 2013 8:34 AM
Apr 2013
5 Ecchi Harems?

A great season is upon us gentlemen...
Jul 28, 2013 8:36 AM

Jul 2007
Nidhoeggr said:
While it is certainly true that nobody can fault a show for soemthing that it wasn't trying to do, it is worth discussing if the current trend in anime/LN/manga is affecting storywriting quality to a positive or negative degree. Sure, series like GitS ARISE or PsychOpass still get made but is the quality of the writing really as good as flagships of the genres in earlier decades?
And doesn't the overly strong focus on a single trend harming diversity, especially with a schism in the overall fandom as well as changing consumer group pandering towards a largely hardcore, rather narrow-minded crowd itself? Blatant escapism seems to be a priority among certain otakus and their disregard for anything that isn't filled with the tropes that cna be found in these five titles is imho just as bad the disregard of anythign with them in it by some Western fans.

^this, basically.

diversity is good for any sort of market. focusing on one trend devalues the market.

When was the last time we got a good quality historical anime?
Good quality trippy stuff ala kuuchuu buranko or mononoke?
Or good quality horror anime after Shiki?

The past few seasons speak for themselves really, as apart from one or two shows the rest is typical "life is good, feel good" kind of stuff.

When one looks at synopsis and goes "oh its one of those shows", its not a good sign, no matter what genre or age rating the show is.

And we just got five ecchi harem fantasy series announced within one week. considering current trends - not a good sign.
Jul 28, 2013 8:42 AM

Nov 2008
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:

While it is certainly true that nobody can fault a show for soemthing that it wasn't trying to do, it is worth discussing if the current trend in anime/LN/manga is affecting storywriting quality to a positive or negative degree. Sure, series like GitS ARISE or PsychoPass still get made but is the quality of the writing really as good as in flagships of the genres in earlier decades?
And isn't the overly strong focus on a single trend harming diversity, especially with a schism in the overall fandom as well as changing consumer group pandering towards a largely hardcore, rather narrow-minded crowd itself? Blatant escapism seems to be a priority among certain otakus and their disregard for anything that isn't filled with the tropes that can be found in these five titles is imho just as bad the disregard of anything with them in it by some Western fans.

You have to remember the anime industry is a business and the tropes you are putting down are making the studios a crapload of cash, same with manga, LNs, and VNs. The otaku who are actually buying stuff left and right and not just watching the shows on television support these kinds of anime and the like and it makes good business sense to cater to them. People who like the more psychological anime don't buy BDs and such at least in Japan and Asia, the West is a different story.

Jul 28, 2013 8:44 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
First, don't jump to conclusion that it is just an otaku thing. These days LNs are not just read by otakus but a lot of casual fans too. In one sense, the rise of LNs are in fact drawing in news fans for the broader industry. So the "escapism" thing is not just an anime industry issue, but a broader social trend of the younger generation. Also you must realize that because anime production is much more costly than, say, writing a manga, the business model makes more sense to be hooked up with something, in this case a LN and possibly links with music and merchandise, and I do agree that because of it the diversity is necessarily more restricted than manga for example (there are a lot of manga that I could not see much chance of it being animated, no matter how interesting or even popular they are). At the end, the point is, even if these adaptations were not done, you would not get more "serious and deep" anime in return. Most likely you'd just get fewer anime, and more decline of the industry. That's it.

Fai said:
WAnd we just got five ecchi harem fantasy series announced within one week. considering current trends - not a good sign.
5 Ecchi harem? Jumping to conclusion is just stupid.

Jul 28, 2013 8:47 AM

Apr 2009
Obviously the worldwide economic and financial crisis has a huge impact on a company and I can understand their plans of playing it safe with shows that already have an established fanbase.
But especially newer anime generations that discovered anime in 2008+ soemtimes come off as a bit more narrowminded to me as well. Sometimes I ask myself: Is this just youth or is this also a result of the recent focus within the industry?
There were a few great shows in past years and while I agree that Sturgeon's Law has always been in effect I can't help but be disappointed by the lack of good titles in certain genres for the past year.
Cheap pleasure derived from only ever pursuing recent trends and viewing consumers as willingless, thoughtless robots who only ever want more of the same may work for a while, but it is just as important to produce franchises that please other crowds and have lasting impact. After all, reputation is also important and it would be really sad if a whole medium is viewed as being only good for cheap tits and nothing more by not only its fans, but the general public in the future.

And while I agree that it is necessary to grow as a market and to hook new fanbases it shouldn't mean that one should forget old strengths. I hate to bring games into this equation but mods in the history of games were one of the strengths of PC games. Sure, microtransactiosn, streamlining, lower dificulty, more general appeal, etc. all bring new players to the table and served a GIANT increase of the industry but the anti-consumer behaviour of certain companies (which is partially the fault of certain suers as well, of course) in regards to mods is losing a giant advantage and longetivity in favour of short-term profits. Not to mention that it doesn't really help to shape the image of games as a medium with lasting appeal.
NidhoeggrJul 28, 2013 8:55 AM
Jul 28, 2013 8:50 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
After all, reputation is also important and it would be really sad if a whole medium is viewed as being only good for cheap tits and nothing more by not only its fansa, but the general public in the future.
Well, the thing is even in those imagined "good old days" the reputation of the industry was in fact even lower in the society than now. At least now in the mainstream channels I get to see mentions of anime like OreImo which I am sure those elitists would deem as "cheap ecchi harem trash shows".

Jul 28, 2013 8:56 AM

Apr 2009
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:
After all, reputation is also important and it would be really sad if a whole medium is viewed as being only good for cheap tits and nothing more by not only its fansa, but the general public in the future.
Well, the thing is even in those imagined "good old days" the reputation of the industry was in fact even lower in the society than now. At least now in the mainstream channels I get to see mentions of anime like OreImo which I am sure those elitists would deem as "cheap ecchi harem trash shows".

Ore no Imouto started out rather well, but I couldn't help but feel that certain developments in the series were not done out of personal artistic integrity, but to conform to already established market standards. Obviously my perception is flawed because I am unable to speak Japanese and therefore can't read forums, blogs and other sites that evaluate Japanese fiction, but I always wondered just how much of an impact all the photos of enraged fans tearing apart their once beloved novels/merch had on an author/mangaka.

I agree with you about the possibility of "deep" manga adaptions, but I ams ure we can agree that original works with rather complex themes are harder to finance due to the current situation.
NidhoeggrJul 28, 2013 9:04 AM
Jul 28, 2013 8:59 AM

Nov 2008
[
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

That's one reason why Sazae-san is so popular even today, if only I could see that in it's entirety, I'd watch that just for the sake of history.

Jul 28, 2013 9:03 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Ore no Imouto started out rather well, but I couldn't help but feel that certain developments int he series were not done out of personal artistic integrity, but to conform to already established market standards.
But if a work that many trash as "fanservice harem show" has gained mainstream recognition, even if just a little, I would say that LN adaptations, even those which the elitists deem "trash", are not really being unambiguously bad thing to the image of the industry.

Nidhoeggr said:
I agree with you about the possibility of "deep" manga adaptions, but I ams ure we can agree that original works with rather complex themes are harder to finance due to the current situation.
Original works definitely carry more risk, and complex works are hard to do for the standard 1-cour length popular these days. All these mean real business considerations that effectively place hurdles at what kind of anime get made. I for one also want more diversity, original creation and more complex stuff, but that does not mean that I would just go and trash the industry for what they do now, in particularly since I really do not think they are doing such a bad job regarding the limitations and difficulties that they face.
symbvJul 28, 2013 9:15 AM

Jul 28, 2013 9:08 AM

Jul 2013
I have only read the first chapter of the manga of this, and there's not much I could say about this, but that video has piqued my interest for this anime.
Jul 28, 2013 9:19 AM

Apr 2009
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:
Ore no Imouto started out rather well, but I couldn't help but feel that certain developments int he series were not done out of personal artistic integrity, but to conform to already established market standards.
But if a work that many trash as "fanservice harem show" has gained mainstream recognition, even if just a little, I would say that LN adaptations, even those which the elitists deem "trash", are not really being all bad influence to the image of the industry.

I am not an expert on that field, but was OreImo really viewed ins cuha positive light? I imagine this being the case for the first few volumes, but what about the reviews regarding later volumes, especially about the final arc? Raising awareness is a good thing, but if all of the titles that get recognized are being viewed as held back by - at least in regards to the opinion of certain influental circles within mass media - unreasonable standards within the medium, isn't this negative as well?

I agree that some studios handle recent limitations and diffuculties rather, though.
Jul 28, 2013 9:24 AM

Jun 2012
loli loving otakus - 1000, worthwhile anime - 0

gg
Jul 28, 2013 9:26 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
I am not an expert on that field, but was OreImo really viewed ins cuha positive light? I imagine this being the case for the first few volumes, but what about the reviews regarding later volumes, especially about the final arc?
Well, the end of the series was mentioned in some mainstream programs as part of "cultural news". The monorail company in Chiba thought the franchise positive enough to have a collaboration marketing campaign with OreImo -- there are even trains all wrapped in OreImo characters and lined with OreImo posters inside. All these just show that 1) it is not really considered as just purely some "ecchi harem" thing for people outside the industry or otaku fandom 2) the LN is definitely reaching out far beyond otakus in terms of building a fanbase.

Jul 28, 2013 9:48 AM

Jul 2013
Last time i checked, the high-praised and award winning works of mangakas are often adapted to live-action instead of animations. Aren't they aiming for a larger audience and more for doing it this way ?
Jul 28, 2013 9:53 AM

Sep 2012
JoksPacifist said:
Last time i checked, the high-praised and award winning works of mangakas are often adapted to live-action instead of animations. Aren't they aiming for a larger audience and more for doing it this way ?
Yes, but only to those manga that are easy to adapt to live-action, like those that are based in the present society or some samurai period (like Jin) that does not call out for big budget effects. Sometimes you see big budget stuff made into movies, like Gantz or 20th Century Boys, but those are more like the exceptions.

The thing is, when you see a manga adapted into live-action, chances that they get adapted into anime actually become lower - if live action can draw in new fans including many who do not watch anime, why should an anime be made then? On the other hand, there are no lack of manga that are adapted into anime before they get adapted into live action.

Jul 28, 2013 9:59 AM

Mar 2011
5 LN adaptations and only this one looks like interesting.
Jul 28, 2013 11:35 AM
Sep 2007
Is one of the 5 wincest? please say yes
Jul 28, 2013 12:14 PM

Nov 2008
kentasaiba said:
Is one of the 5 wincest? please say yes

Nope

Jul 28, 2013 12:19 PM

Nov 2010
Rather than saying that the 5 are all seems bad, I prefer to say that most of them aren't my type of cake.

However, this one seems pretty interesting, especially that video. I'll probably also check Madan no Ou and No Game No Life but I won't expect anything.

I'll be much more excited if it's Dengeki Bunko 5 adaptations announcement though, since it will has many more variations for everyone.
Jul 28, 2013 1:39 PM
Sep 2012
Began reading this when the first chapter of the manga came out, looked pretty sweet. Definitely gonna watch this! :)
Jul 28, 2013 8:02 PM

Feb 2012
zeroyuki92 said:
Rather than saying that the 5 are all seems bad, I prefer to say that most of them aren't my type of cake.

Sir, you're a great man.
Jul 28, 2013 9:04 PM

Aug 2012
I'm reading 4 out of 5 of the LN's I'd say they're pretty decent. Let's hope the anime isn't horrible. For now I'm gonna try find Mahou Sensou and start reading it.
"You're making too much of me. All I am these days, is the poor owner of a small time candy store."-Kisuke Urahara
Jul 29, 2013 4:49 AM

Sep 2012
According to the twitter of the manga artist who drew the manga for "Mahou Sensou", it will be a TV Series to start January 2014

https://twitter.com/ibukiyou/status/361808537749434368/photo/1

Jul 29, 2013 4:56 AM

Feb 2012
symbv said:
According to the twitter of the manga artist who drew the manga for "Mahou Sensou", it will be a TV Series to start January 2014

https://twitter.com/ibukiyou/status/361808537749434368/photo/1

But then he retracted his first tweet...
Jul 29, 2013 5:01 AM

Sep 2012
HauntingShock said:
But then he retracted his first tweet...
Yeah, his repost of the tweet contains the same image but he removed the "2014 Jan" bit. I guess he was told to wait for official announcement, but I don't think the news was a false one since his being the artist for the manga means he has the correct news, which is what counts.

Jul 29, 2013 5:05 AM

Mar 2012
Is there no other word to another LN news yet?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 29, 2013 7:37 AM

Apr 2012
The illustration has that Haganai + Hidan no Aria feel to it.
lets jut see how this goes.
The Art of Shipping is no mere game. It can be small skirmishes to huge nation size wars.
Of course some will claim their ship is the BATTLESHIP but they all do. This is why battles occur because of factions fighting each other to justify their favourite ship.
And thus SHIP to SHIP combat occurs almost anytime even now.
Beware, Threading into the Shipping battlefield will be bloody.... What are you waiting for?
Jul 29, 2013 2:12 PM

Oct 2011
seems interesting..will try when it comes out :)
Jul 29, 2013 6:40 PM

Jul 2009
Impressive! I guess there was like 5-6 announcement of ecchi animes, really with so many nice things to be turned into anime they turn a lot of ecchi at the same time!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Video Game 'Tensui no Sakuna-hime' Gets TV Anime in 2024

DatRandomDude - Mar 9

18 by malvarez1 »»
4 hours ago

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Reveals Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by Badonkers »»
12 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

29 by RealNath »»
Yesterday, 9:11 AM

» North American Anime & Manga Releases for May

Aiimee - May 5

0 by Aiimee »»
May 5, 10:47 AM

» 'Senpai wa Otokonoko' Announces Additional Staff, Theme Songs

DatRandomDude - May 5

0 by DatRandomDude »»
May 5, 8:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.