Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 7, 2013 2:37 AM

Oct 2012
Dat Chiho in swimsuit:

And Maou crocodile-banishing scene was epic - I like that music that was playing during it!

Also, it buggers me for some time now - why is Albert Ende in OP when he is almost nowhere to be seen in anime?

And bonus - full opening music by Kuribayashi Minami:
Jun 7, 2013 3:36 AM

Dec 2007
Ikuinen said:
Anyone with a high quality shot of Emi's initial reaction to Chi in a swim suit when she turns around in the locker?

You mean this one?
Jun 7, 2013 3:49 AM

Nov 2009
Wonderful episode!!!

I laughed so many times especially with that perverted monkey (named Sadao) much to Emi's dismay. I felt sorry for Ashiya being unable to do anything. The amusement park was pretty good with the haunted house and the reptile exhibition with Emi and the others being scared at times which is a good change to see. It seems like Suzuno is beginning to be confused due to Maou's actions to save humans instead of conquering them.

On the way back home, a blue hair guy was standing with white wings and I'm pretty sure that was the manager Mitsuki at Sentucky. The scene with Emi reacting to Chiho's body was so funny and priceless. The ending scene with the shopping buying while Ashiya was having problems was hilarious. I remember a scene somewhere in the beginning of the series where Emi was in the bath and a white feather similar to the one in this one showed up and then disappeared briefly but does anyone else remember that!?

Looking forward to seeing Suzuno and her past in the next episode!!

5/5

Jun 7, 2013 4:16 AM

Nov 2012
btw this episode has the most funnier face emotion I think lol
Jun 7, 2013 4:43 AM

Oct 2009
I really want a season 2 ^^
Jun 7, 2013 4:55 AM

Feb 2013
5/5 episode just for Chiho's fine swimsuit. That Maou scene was so badass, I had to go back and watch it again.. I really didn't expect that blue haired guy to be an important character.. He's probably the guy with the scythe.

Also, I kinda got a Corpse Party vibe from that haunted house.
Jun 7, 2013 5:28 AM

Jul 2012
Funny episode nuff said
Jun 7, 2013 5:42 AM

Feb 2013
size doesn't matter
Jun 7, 2013 6:07 AM

Feb 2011
Dem Chiho's

Jun 7, 2013 6:28 AM
Feb 2012
In a world filled with demons, angels and mythical beings, Chiho's innocent human smile is growing on me with every passing episode. And while the lack of the supernatural is still present, it seems that my concern is being tackled starting next week. Maou sent shivers down my spine this time (that combined with that kickass OST did).
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jun 7, 2013 6:40 AM
Oct 2012
ErwinJA said:
Ikuinen said:
Anyone with a high quality shot of Emi's initial reaction to Chi in a swim suit when she turns around in the locker?

You mean this one?

this was priceless
Jun 7, 2013 7:07 AM

Jan 2013
symbv said:
Epic

Those burgers

Jun 7, 2013 7:16 AM

Feb 2012
Another good episode, yeah :D
Facial expressions, burgers, ost... enjoyed them all.
AND FINALLY. An anime where the haunted house actually looks scary xD

Loved that badass Maou scene at the end.
Maou = MC of this season

So, anyone knows if this is filler or really included in the LN? It was enjoyable but the only downside was that it felt like an obligatory fanservice ep.

Edit: Am I the only one who noticed the Amazon reference? "Jungle"
HauntingShockJun 7, 2013 7:48 AM
Jun 7, 2013 8:19 AM

Jul 2011
Urushihara and Ashiya's faces at the end were priceless.
講廢話,被撞到.
Jun 7, 2013 8:20 AM

Jan 2013
loved this ep. This show just has to have a S2. Just has to. lol loved the stuff with the monkey, and ha! James is up to no good.
Jun 7, 2013 8:24 AM

May 2013
Ikaros000 said:
Anyone else getting addicted to Maou's theme tune? I get chills when it kicks in

me, i felt some chills too hahaha!

Emi is so cute :DDD
Jun 7, 2013 8:27 AM

Sep 2011
I had a good laugh this episode.
Chi-chan and Suzuno's Burgers, Suzuno clothes, Haunted House scene. Now we have Jungle instead of Amazon.
pew pew pew
Jun 7, 2013 8:31 AM

Nov 2011
3/5

Bet that looks like comedic the enormity of Chiho bobbing and a few gags in the haunted house, in addition to glares Emi, epiche.Uno little bit since then so does not advance the plot. Suzuno still tied to the old days, I'd like to know where to find a bathing suit for the change, given the "big differences" between the three! The drawing XD I noticed that does not denote an accomplishment worthy, if not at the change of clothes for someone! Really an "abnormal growth" quality! X°°D
Jun 7, 2013 8:37 AM

Jul 2012
Maou is such a badass!

Kamazuki is the best of the girls imo ^^
Jun 7, 2013 8:43 AM
Oct 2012
HauntingShock said:

So, anyone knows if this is filler or really included in the LN? It was enjoyable but the only downside was that it felt like an obligatory fanservice ep.

Does it really matter? As long as the episodes please, does it matter if it is from the LN or not? Personally I would rather this be filler, because this means that we can get more episodes out of the content that does exist (8 Light Novels), than we would otherwise. If quality is maintained, sales will follow, if sales follow, then a 2nd or even 3rd season is possible. Hurrah!

I don't like fanservice for the sake of fanservice, but this episode very smartly weaved the fanservice into a part of the story. This season, far more than being about Maou, has actually focused on Emi and her development from being the "Hero" to becoming a "normal" person. There were several references to this in the show: Shizuno asking herself why Emilia was acting this way, Emila letting herself be scared and reacting normally (instead of being the one to muster up the courage to slay that basilisk), her concerned look for Shizuno on the train, and Emi's own stated goal that it was nice to be able to act normally, all demonstrate this (and give lie to those who think the plot isn't advancing).

Emi has little desire to return to her world. If she goes back she now realizes she will be used as a pawn, forever trapped as "the Hero". As long as Maou stays put on Earth, she is free not to have to be a symbol, not to have to be responsible for her entire world, but rather can just be a person. That is a very seductive vision for her, in short she is on vacation; this was one of the things "James" warned her against. Sure this was fanservice, but as Emi pointed out in the episode, she had fun. It was enjoyable. And "fun" and "enjoyment" are new concepts for her. Now of course there could have been other ways to show this, but going to a pool is as good a way as any to have fun, and better for the fans.

Of course this fantasy of her's is going to end poorly, but Emi is a true hero, and we will learn the true meaning of this next episode when, as the title says, "the Hero stays true to her principles".
Takuan_SohoJun 7, 2013 8:50 AM
Jun 7, 2013 8:44 AM

Sep 2012
nice episode...

nice to see Suzuno, Chiho, and Emi in Swimsuit...but that big Oppai of Chi-chan is dominating the two...

i love the scene that Maou is walking straight to the crowd to stop the crocodiles while Emi and the others looking at him...so cool...

so James is not only a manager of SFC but ang angel too...wow James you've got a big role...LOL

xD
Jun 7, 2013 9:04 AM

Oct 2012
Mmmm. Chi-chan in the bikini. I liked the episode overall. Next one looks to be dark/sad.
Jun 7, 2013 9:08 AM

Feb 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
HauntingShock said:

I wouldn't be asking if it didn't matter.
I actually just wanted to know lol
Jun 7, 2013 9:44 AM

Sep 2012
HauntingShock said:
HauntingShock said:

I wouldn't be asking if it didn't matter.
I actually just wanted to know lol
I guess he may be in some bad mood, as I don't think you meant to criticize this episodes as some have done in this thread.... although I always think the word "filler" needs to be used carefully (but unfortunately it is not the case among western fans) because it somehow seems to have a negative connotation. In Japan, such episode with story not from the original novel/manga is usually called "anime original episode" which I think is much more neutral in meaning.

Anyway, to answer your question, from what I read in 2ch, this episode is indeed an anime original episode, but it got a much better than feedback than the last anime original episode (when Mao, Emilia and Chi-chan went to the school at night) and one big reason is how the episode carefully incorporates many elements from the original novel and also develops the characters and provides references for the plot as well.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 7, 2013 11:06 AM

Jun 2008
Did i hear Maou saying fuck when talking gibberish?
Jun 7, 2013 11:46 AM

Jul 2012
Ikaros000 said:
Anyone else getting addicted to Maou's theme tune? I get chills when it kicks in

YES! Yes I am. And I love the backwards or whatever-language.
Jun 7, 2013 11:54 AM

Mar 2012
Everyone from the hero's side just couldn't believe that Maou already changed. I guess Suzuno also had a bitter past regarding Maou.
Keep moving forward
Jun 7, 2013 12:19 PM

Jan 2011
Pretty good episode, but not as good as the previous ones imo. A lot of troll faces like usual though, those are great. And dat ending, that's why I never go to KFC. Only weird people work there. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jun 7, 2013 1:51 PM

Apr 2008
I felt as though this episode was a step backwards from the last few due to the abundance of breast jokes. The unique charm that this show once had is slowly disintegrating. Not sure how they plan to handle the finale with the more serious plot line.

You can read my full thoughts about these last couple of episodes here: http://moe-alternative.net/?p=6511

Jun 7, 2013 1:52 PM

Jun 2013
i don't think you'll ever will
Jun 7, 2013 2:21 PM

Sep 2012
Emi facial expressions are too much for me.
Jun 7, 2013 2:24 PM
Feb 2012

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls reference! Awesome! ^^
Jun 7, 2013 3:32 PM

Jul 2012
lol'd my ass off at maou reaction with sadao
overall a funny episode the haunted house was creepy lol
Juffe said:

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls reference! Awesome! ^^

nobody said something about jungleco.jp lol
Feer19Jun 7, 2013 3:35 PM
Jun 7, 2013 3:50 PM
Jan 2012
this is scheduled for only 13 episodes, right? Nothing's happening right now. It's witty and all that, but i havent seen the main storyline move since episode 4 or 5. Every character introduced since then has been non-descript minor side characters
Jun 7, 2013 4:17 PM

Oct 2011
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Chiho's boobs XD Yusa is jealous by them

Scary haunted house

Devil Souls!!!! OMG

Maou is bad***!!!!

James is an Angel???
Jun 7, 2013 4:39 PM

Mar 2013
ftghb said:
this is scheduled for only 13 episodes, right? Nothing's happening right now. It's witty and all that, but i havent seen the main storyline move since episode 4 or 5. Every character introduced since then has been non-descript minor side characters

Thank you. Unless you count each 3-4 minutes at the end of each episode as plot development, this show has been moving at a snail's pace since a long time ago :/
Jun 7, 2013 4:44 PM
Jan 2013
symbv said:
MaxCrazy7 said:
Man Yuusa is being is flat as a board.
Well officially Udon-chan (Suzuno) is flatter.

Example (can't help laughing whenever I see their pose while eating the fast food from Maou's joint)

WHoooooo, ho, ho It's a swimsuit fanservice.
Jun 7, 2013 4:44 PM
Jan 2008
Smurd said:
ftghb said:

Thank you. Unless you count each 3-4 minutes at the end of each episode as plot development, this show has been moving at a snail's pace since a long time ago :/

They're trying to stretch out two novel's worth of material for 13 episodes. Most novels do four or five for about the same amount of episodes. Besides the fact that the plot picks up in the third novel, the remaining episodes will feature Maou vs. Sariel.

If you think about it, episodes 1-5 were plot heavy, 6-10 had minimal plot, and 11-13 will feature the remaining plot of volume 2. Episodes 6 and 10 (the "filler") are still well done and I don't mind them. I did notice that the pacing did seem "slow". Then again, see what I typed above.
Jun 7, 2013 6:12 PM

Jan 2012
ZodiacBeast said:
Smurd said:
ftghb said:

They're trying to stretch out two novel's worth of material for 13 episodes. Most novels do four or five for about the same amount of episodes. Besides the fact that the plot picks up in the third novel, the remaining episodes will feature Maou vs. Sariel.

If you think about it, episodes 1-5 were plot heavy, 6-10 had minimal plot, and 11-13 will feature the remaining plot of volume 2. Episodes 6 and 10 (the "filler") are still well done and I don't mind them. I did notice that the pacing did seem "slow". Then again, see what I typed above.

Wait is there a 3rd volume for the LN? If there is why don't they just do the novel stuff instead of putting filler in? Are they that sure about a 2nd season?
Jun 7, 2013 6:22 PM

Nov 2009
mikado34 said:
The show is still lots of fun and all the characters are lovable, but I feel that our devil partners Maou and Ashiya are being put as side characters in their own show.

Yep, I agree. It's still great, but loses a lot of what makes it so good (for me, at least) when there's not enough Maou and Ashiya, and they've been missing a lot lately. Especially Ashiya... I don't know why the author puts him aside like that. sighs

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
Jun 7, 2013 6:44 PM

Nov 2012
lol basically this anime is about a competition between
MCDonald with the help of Satan And KFC with the help of Angel
remind me of
Jun 7, 2013 6:50 PM

Feb 2012
That final scene was pure gold.
Jun 7, 2013 7:21 PM

May 2012
Wow Chiho is huge.
Emi's reactions are classic.
Maou being badass.
Ashiya got sick again.

And the haunted house is creepy.
Jun 7, 2013 7:26 PM

Aug 2012
symbv said:

(when Mao, Emilia and Chi-chan went to the school at night)

Aren't you forgetting someone?
Jun 7, 2013 7:44 PM
Aug 2012
huehue93 said:
This anime has become boring. I expected more, like maybe 40% slice of life with the rest being stuff related to the demon lord stuff but its more like 90% is slice of life filler with a few cool scenes here and there. With 3 episodes left idk how it will get any better. Gonna have to lower score from 9 to 7.

Well we already discuss the red flag of the demon lord stuff already ended after maou and lucifer's arc but if you insist no one is stopping you from dropping this show

and the angel was definitely james from SFC
Jun 7, 2013 7:45 PM
Manga Moderator
🖤🖤🖤

Sep 2012
Aww Ashiya, I feel your pain. Also, he seriously needs more time in the spotlight! xD
That ending scene was hilarious..

thanks to my lovely Secret Elf Santa
for the forum set~
(*’∀’人)♥
Jun 7, 2013 9:16 PM

Jun 2008
Great episode once again.
Jun 7, 2013 10:04 PM
Jun 2013
It was a great episode again today!

Jun 7, 2013 10:31 PM
Jan 2008
huehue93 said:
ZodiacBeast said:
Smurd said:
ftghb said:

Wait is there a 3rd volume for the LN? If there is why don't they just do the novel stuff instead of putting filler in? Are they that sure about a 2nd season?

Volume 9 comes out August 10. It's just that there's a major plot development that takes place in volume 3 that changes the direction of the story. They didn't have enough with just the first two novels so they added in the little bit of extra.
Jun 7, 2013 10:46 PM

May 2013
Another great episode! Ashiya's stomach pains were hilarious and Chiho's face was priceless. Plus its always awesome when Satan shows his powers.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2013

621 by bakakisima »»
Apr 4, 9:55 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2013

345 by foofooplay »»
Mar 21, 9:27 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2013

328 by NutsTheBerker »»
Mar 16, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 2, 2013

374 by Ailastara »»
Feb 26, 3:30 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2013

483 by 0ssi »»
Jan 24, 4:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.