Forum Settings
Forums

[CLOSED] Anime Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend [CLOSED]

New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (73) « First ... « 60 61 [62] 63 64 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2014 5:59 AM

Oct 2012
I just realized Kyousou Giga's getting polled!

YEEEEEEEES! At least one of my nominations is getting polled. Looks like I have some writing to do.

Ducat_RevelApr 6, 2014 6:03 AM
Apr 6, 2014 7:23 AM

Jan 2013
Almost forgot:

Bartender +1

There!
My favorite genres: good Quality, better Quality, best Quality, Über-Quality.
Scoring criteria: Existence does not precede Essence.

Current status: OFFLINE. Even if not really.
I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Apr 6, 2014 8:49 AM

Jan 2013
Ducat_Revel said:

YEEEEEEEES! At least one of my nominations is getting polled. Looks like I have some writing to do.

I'll see if I can wrap up Fuujin Monogatari this week.
Apr 6, 2014 8:58 PM

Mar 2009
Ducat, I only remove things that have too few positive votes. Even then, I make a post giving warning before it's deleted. Don't you worry your pretty little head. I have Fuujin Monogatari, and I plan to watch it. I just haven't watched/read much this past month. Life will settle in a few weeks.

+1 for coupling the Mushishi Special
AlabastreAizoApr 6, 2014 9:08 PM
Apr 6, 2014 9:07 PM

Mar 2009
List update
  • Promoted to Purgatory: Bartender, Mushishi Special, Area 88 (OVA), Akage no Anne, Hyouka
  • Apr 6, 2014 9:09 PM

Oct 2012
    Oh. I thought titles were removed after an extended period of inactivity. My bad then. I'll just have to be patient and advertise the anime I support more subtly.
    Apr 6, 2014 9:11 PM

Mar 2009
    All right, we need to clear something up: do people want to poll the old Yamato or the new one? We discussed not bringing this up until it was finished, so what do those who voted think, now?
    Apr 6, 2014 9:18 PM

Oct 2012
    Wasn't the consensus that the new Yamato was the better one? I still haven't finished it, so I don't have a say. But I remember a lot of people only voting for the old one since the new one hadn't finished yet. Now it's done and passed its waiting period, I think it should be the new Yamato. Voters can correct me of course.
    Apr 6, 2014 9:55 PM

Jan 2013
    Speaking of Yamato, what are the sequels like (to anyone who has seen them)? I didn't even know there were full season sequels for a long time, I figured the new Yamato 2199 was a remake of the only anime season there was, which puts remakes of the other seasons on the table. But yeah, anyone know if they are any good?
    Apr 7, 2014 12:19 AM

Feb 2008
    AlabastreAizo said:
    All right, we need to clear something up: do people want to poll the old Yamato or the new one? We discussed not bringing this up until it was finished, so what do those who voted think, now?

The question is more like: which Yamato did actually get votes? If people voted for the old one, did they actually watch the new one etc.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
    Apr 7, 2014 3:37 AM

Mar 2009
    Also what Zeta said.
    The numbers are--I think--all for the original, right now.
    Apr 7, 2014 4:01 AM

Oct 2012
    Jody32 said:
    +1 Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Found one vote for the new Yamato. Courtesy of Jody. :D

I'll go spelunking for more 2199 votes. There are a few iirc.
    Apr 7, 2014 4:05 AM

May 2013
    I would vote +1 for 2199. Haven't watched the original though.

Apr 7, 2014 5:16 AM

Feb 2008
    +1 Yamato 2199

Apr 8, 2014 10:30 AM

Sep 2008
    I'd like to nominate Zegapain for enlightenment.

While the synopsis on MAL is pretty misleading making it seem like a school show with mecha on the side, it's actually a very good sci-fi mecha show that really pushes the boundaries of what the genre is capable of. It's really strong in it's themes and heavy in complex setting and plot development without falling apart due to plotholes and plot contrivances, which there are practically none. As well as having solid characters and character development the show really delivers in most areas, it certainly has some shortcomings but it's still quite the series.
    MatasApr 8, 2014 10:45 AM
    Apr 8, 2014 10:34 AM

Apr 2013
    Hmmm, I'm gonna have to think about Zegapain.

I'll get back to you later with a decision.
    Apr 8, 2014 12:23 PM

May 2012
    Matas said:

While the synopsis on MAL is pretty misleading making it seem like a school show with mecha on the side, it's actually a very good sci-fi mecha show that really pushes the boundaries of what the genre is capable of. It's really strong in it's themes and heavy in complex setting and plot development without falling apart due to plotholes and plot contrivances, which there are practically none. As well as having solid characters and character development the show really delivers in most areas, it certainly has some shortcomings but it's still quite the series.

Anyway,
    Is Gundam for polling?
    I'd rather nominate Gundam.

Apr 8, 2014 12:31 PM

Feb 2008
    moeslasher said:
    Anyway,
    Is Gundam for polling?

Check the e-list.

Apr 8, 2014 6:50 PM

Jan 2013
    moeslasher said:
    Matas said:

Anyway,
    Is Gundam for polling?

Smooth moe.

Anyways, been meaning to check out Zegapain, I swear someone had nominated it earlier, it seems like something of a black sheep in the mecha genre but those who have seen it seem to rate it rather highly. Definitely should look into it soon.
    Apr 8, 2014 10:07 PM

Feb 2008
    Zegapain is one in the line of the most recent "existential mecha" subgenre (it's not really a subgenre, but I've seen people use the term here and there) that are actually good. It most notably explores things such as Cartesian dualism, and identity in general, and if you can get around the CGI and some high school anime tropes, it can be quite enjoyable.

Apr 13, 2014 8:43 AM

May 2013
    So, how is it going with Yamato. Because if we don't change the nomination to the new one, you can consider my last post here as a separate nomination for 2199. I think the show deserves a shot and the matter is in limbo for some time now.

Apr 13, 2014 8:48 AM

Apr 2013
    I think I +1 2199 a while back.

oh well, will do again.

EDIT: +1 Zegapain (Just to give it a chance)
    Apr 15, 2014 4:15 AM

Mar 2009
    Update
  • Removed from Enlightenment: Ookami Kodomo Ame & Yuki
  • Added to New Mentions: Zegapain
  • Promoted to Purgatory: Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199
  • Apr 15, 2014 1:00 PM

Feb 2008
    Jody32 said:

If you're not planning on voting for enlightenment, then don't give it a vote at all, or give it -1 if you're against it.

Apr 16, 2014 7:47 AM

Apr 2013
    ZetaZaku said:
    Jody32 said:

If you're not planning on voting for enlightenment, then don't give it a vote at all, or give it -1 if you're against it.
    I'm not against it. I'm giving it a chance, because I don't think it's a bad series and I wouldn't be butthurt if it ended up on the enlightenment list.
    Apr 16, 2014 7:53 AM

Feb 2008
    Jody32 said:
    ZetaZaku said:
    Jody32 said:

I'm not against it. I'm giving it a chance, because I don't think it's a bad series and I wouldn't be butthurt if it ended up on the enlightenment list.

But will you vote 1 in the poll? It's no use if you're just pushing it without backing it up when it really needs votes. Hence why we are getting polls where few people vote 1, like Kuuchu Branko recently.

This way, you're "hurting" the title more than supporting, because if it gets polled and fails, it probably won't be polled again.

Apr 16, 2014 7:59 AM

Apr 2013
    ZetaZaku said:
    Jody32 said:
    ZetaZaku said:
    Jody32 said:

But will you vote 1 in the poll? It's no use if you're just pushing it without backing it up when it really needs votes. Hence why we are getting polls where few people vote 1, like Kuuchu Branko recently.

This way, you're "hurting" the title more than supporting, because if it gets polled and fails, it probably won't be polled again.
    Would it be okay if I postpone my vote until I am a little more decisive on the decision?
    Apr 16, 2014 8:15 AM

Jan 2013
    Kuuchu Buranko was actually rather close, 4-4.
    Apr 16, 2014 8:20 AM

Oct 2012
    ChrisTucker said:

Matas was about to sway the tie but alas. Still, close fight.
    Apr 16, 2014 8:23 AM

Feb 2008
    ChrisTucker said:

And it had what, 7-8 + votes in the camp.

Jody32 said:
    Would it be okay if I postpone my vote until I am a little more decisive on the decision?

We don't really have any rules regarding this. We'll just put a question mark on your vote until you decide.

Apr 18, 2014 9:52 AM
    Jun 2008
    I'd like to nominate The Sky Crawlers.

Looks like this is the only Oshii movie that he has directed (or has had a hand in the making) that's not on the list (except Innocence, which should be there as well, and the Patlabor movies but they are fundamentally different than his other movies). It's as much a personal film as Tenshi no Tamago and Ghost and the Shell, with all his trademarks of directing and style present.
    Wind_FalconMay 17, 2015 9:13 AM
    Apr 18, 2014 10:26 AM

Jan 2013
    -1 Sky Crawlers

It's more daring and unorthodox than some of Oshii's other stuff, but the execution is weaker, and it's still one of his more traditional works which I don't particularly agree with the narrative of. Really I'm not huge on anything that's not Angel's Egg or maybe Urusei Yatsura movie 2, but attributed to the comedy mixed with his ideas as opposed to purely what that movie was doing in itself.
    Apr 20, 2014 1:56 PM

Feb 2008
    +1 Sky Crawlers

Oshii's most underrated movie.

Apr 21, 2014 10:24 AM
    Jul 2018
    Might as well +1 to Sky Crawlers just to give it a fighting chance while I'm on.
    Apr 21, 2014 1:43 PM

May 2012
    corwin_r said:
    Zegapain is one in the line of the most recent "existential mecha" subgenre (it's not really a subgenre, but I've seen people use the term here and there) that are actually good. It most notably explores things such as Cartesian dualism, and identity in general, and if you can get around the CGI and some high school anime tropes, it can be quite enjoyable.

we already have a "existential mecha" - show and this our beloved Evangelion

Apr 21, 2014 3:01 PM

Mar 2009
    We already have many things. We don't have a limit.
    Apr 21, 2014 3:30 PM

Apr 2013
    Well, I am going to nominate Les Miserables: Shoujo Cossette.

A 52 episode anime adaption of Victor Hugo's novel and I believe it does quite an excellent job, even though the adaption can get criticism for some things but I don't believe the criticisms are large enough to effect its high quality aspects.

As for Sky Crawlers.

Well, I better get watching.
    Apr 21, 2014 3:40 PM

Feb 2008
    Jody32 said:
    Well, I am going to nominate Les Miserables: Shoujo Cossette.

Count on my vote in a few months/years. The book is waiting on my shelf, and I'm planning on watching the show as soon as I read the book.

Apr 21, 2014 11:30 PM

Feb 2008
    +1 Les Miserables: Shoujo Cossette
    It's a faithful adaptation of an excellent novel, despite some minor inconsistencies and change in events
    . If only Enjolras were the main character instead of Marius.

Apr 28, 2014 2:09 AM

May 2013
    I am an aspiring über-elitist and this list has helped me a lot!
    Apr 29, 2014 6:41 AM

Apr 2012
    I just finished rewatching Seto no Hanayome and I just have to nominatoe it.
    Seto no Hanayome +1
    Its maybe on of the harder to justify nominating for the enlightment list, as it doesnt bring what most on the list do. It doesnt have a complex and impressive story, it doesnt have abstract themes that incorporate philosophies and deep messages, neither does it have a heart wrenching tale about the hardships of life.
    But what it is is one of the best comedies I have seen up to date, IMO being on the same level as Detroit Metal City (albeit lacking the awesome music). The show is a bit aged and while the general artstyle is a bit plain it is in no way lacking in quality. Oh and its also a joy to see different artstyles and faces for different emotions, a freedom in the medium most newer titles have mostly forgotten about, which enhance the comedy in each situation and making for some of the best and funniest moments in this fast paced anime that really tends to go overboard in its situation. But to top it off there is more to this anime than comedy, the romance part doesnt have to hide either. Sure it may not have as much depth as other romances and most romantic situations are handled in a comedic way, but as someone who has grown weiry of melodramatic fights based on petty reasons and misunderstanding it was very refreshing to have a rom-com anime that stays light hearted to the end, and still gives a satisfying resolution to the romance.
    Even the action scenes arent half bad, which can be admired in the extremely overexaggerated and escalating situations.

All in all Id say this is truly an anime for everyone, that is not too stuck up (dont expect much sophisticated humor), and while it isnt heartwrenching, I guarantee you it will make you cry more than any other anime, albeit of laughter.
    Apr 29, 2014 7:01 AM

Apr 2013
    Interesting pick for Seto no Hanayome.

I put it on hold sometime ago, I might get back to it.
    I doubt it will end up in Enlightenment though.

Though as a comedy, DMC redeems itself because it is a commentary on capitalism and as far as what I have seen of Seto no Hanayome it is just pure comedy with familiar scenario's.
    Apr 29, 2014 7:17 AM

Apr 2012
    Interesting, that one has been on my plan to watch list for a while now.
    "The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
    - Oreki, Hyouka
    Apr 29, 2014 7:31 AM

Apr 2012
    Jody32 said:

Though as a comedy, DMC redeems itself because it is a commentary on capitalism and as far as what I have seen of Seto no Hanayome it is just pure comedy with familiar scenario's.

Really? Its my fav comedy and I watched it twice but I never noticed that. I guess you could aruge that
    Apr 29, 2014 7:37 AM

May 2013
    Mhm. I have my doubts that it will go through, but I may be able to get behind this nomination. It sure is excellent comedy. Will have to think about it.

Apr 29, 2014 7:46 AM

Apr 2013
    Hahaha, it's indeed a really unexpected nomination, but I have to:

-1 Seto no Hanayome

It's as Jody said, SnH is pure comedy, imho a compact and better version of hayate no gotoku, but that's all. If someone find it unfunny, then there's nothing else to redeem its quality on the said person's eye.
    But I must admit, although some episodes are plain boring, when it has its moment, that moment is pure gold.
    MASA~SAN!!
    Apr 29, 2014 8:04 AM

Apr 2012
    doraemon1992 said:
    Hahaha, it's indeed a really unexpected nomination, but I have to:

-1 Seto no Hanayome

It's as Jody said, SnH is pure comedy, imho a compact and better version of hayate no gotoku, but that's all. If someone find it unfunny, then there's nothing else to redeem its quality on the said person's eye.
    But I must admit, although some episodes are plain boring, when it has its moment, that moment is pure gold.
    MASA~SAN!!

One small drawback but this isnt the end.

I just thought that comedy is rather underrepresented in the enlightement list, and I think its just as precious of a genre as any other. How many serious anime have been made even better by comedy? I just thought it would deserve a few spots of anime that focus mostly on that genre, the best of the best in the genre and when I think of good comedy Seto no Hanayome springs to mind just after DMC.
    baki502Apr 29, 2014 8:07 AM
    Apr 29, 2014 8:11 AM

May 2013
    The problem is that comedy is purely subjective. If you don't like a shows humor, thats it, and that makes polling them a bit difficult. Shows like Cromartie or recently Azumanga had really contested polls and got through by a tight margin.
    VentrisApr 29, 2014 8:14 AM

Apr 29, 2014 8:47 AM

Apr 2012
    Ventris said:
    The problem is that comedy is purely subjective. If you don't like a shows humor, thats it, and that makes polling them a bit difficult. Shows like Cromartie or recently Azumanga had really contested polls and got through by a tight margin.

That makes it all the more interesting does it not? You cant create discussion without disagreement.
    If you look at Texhnolyze's poll, my fav anime btw, it was completely onesided. Half didnt see it, and half sang it its praises. I was glad cause I really love the show, but on the other hand it was kinda boring since there was no discussion at all.
    Apr 29, 2014 9:03 AM

Sep 2012
    baki502 said:
    Ventris said:

That makes it all the more interesting does it not? You cant create discussion without disagreement.
    If you look at Texhnolyze's poll, my fav anime btw, it was completely onesided. Half didnt see it, and half sang it its praises. I was glad cause I really love the show, but on the other hand it was kinda boring since there was no discussion at all.

If the other half had watched it, there'd still be nothing to discuss about it, since everyone would be singing praises.
    Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
    Pages (73) « First ... « 60 61 [62] 63 64 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
    Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
    Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
    Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
    Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
    Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
    It’s time to ditch the text file.
    Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.