Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 3, 2012 1:07 PM

Mar 2011
Akamitsu said:
I would have kicked that little girl in the face and lit her doll on fire.

This.
At the end I was like "Woah! Is that seriously a vocaloid?! Awesome!"
Not sure what to think about it tho, but the dual reality thing is pretty awesome like the OVA. Although I will say that it's too bad that there are only 8 epiodes :(
--Dread Knight Torac, Destroyer of Grammar Nazis--
Feb 3, 2012 1:09 PM

Feb 2008
so they have no word for orange? what did they call it before the westerners showed up? or is it easier to just call it orange?
Feb 3, 2012 1:12 PM

Jun 2011
0_0 I don't think it's TOO bad, but... I don't really like that Takahashi has glasses now, and that Matou is more... um... plain.

The graphics aren't as good as the OVA, but I'm gonna keep watching because I don't mind it much. ^_^
"Aiming for the mark takes precision, balance, and patience."

....Screw that, let's shoot the damn thing!
Feb 3, 2012 1:19 PM

Jul 2010
After seeing the OVA, this confused me a lot. Looks like they just started over with the whole thing, yet rushed through it. I liked it though. Let's see what's gonna happen before I give my verdict.

Vocaloid ED was awesome by the way! =D

Feb 3, 2012 1:22 PM

Jul 2010
Damn people have high standards when it comes to art in anime. I've seen all kinds and it didn't distract me in the slightest. Though the ova was cleaner, but that's to be expected. Cgi doesn't bug me as well, and I understand why they would go that direction for BRS(action scenes). The plot so far is meh, but I'm willing to give this one two or three more episodes before I decide to drop or stay on board.
Oh and I really like the ed.
Feb 3, 2012 1:30 PM
Dec 2008
too violent for me~~
but supercell's classic song, black rock shooter, for the ED was awesome
Feb 3, 2012 1:35 PM

Apr 2008
*tips over wheelchair girl's wheelchair

*then throws it out the window

*eats all the fucking macaroons

*FALCON KICK
Feb 3, 2012 1:40 PM

Jun 2010
It was rushed... But I hope eventually they will explain the alternative world.
Feb 3, 2012 1:42 PM

Feb 2011
blahrgness said:
*tips over wheelchair girl's wheelchair

*then throws it out the window

*eats all the fucking macaroons

*FALCON KICK

Sounds like a plan.
Feb 3, 2012 1:55 PM

Aug 2009
They all looked way prettier in the OP ;P

And LOVED THE ED!
Feb 3, 2012 2:06 PM

Jun 2008
As I expected, I liked the characters in the OVA better. And I have a feeling I won't like this as much as the OVA (overall), either. The episode itself was creepy... It seems like the connection to that other world will be portrayed the same way the OVA did, though.
Feb 3, 2012 2:10 PM
Dec 2011
Doesn't this remind anyone of Mahou Shoujo Madoka? Possibly anime of the year of last year?

Sure the animation is lacking but certainly not unbearable. I really don't care if the story improves, but i have to agree not much explaining so far. Hopefully 2nd episode will elaborate more on the creepyness of Kagari and the CG world.

Is the CG world suppose to be the sub conscious of Kuroi?
Feb 3, 2012 2:51 PM

Aug 2009
The director did a shitty job on this episode, I just hope he'll improve.
Feb 3, 2012 3:02 PM

Aug 2011
Just another quick complain: The new Kuroi Mato design was very disappointment T^T...

But I loved the episode x'D... Maybe I'm the only one here who likes DRAMA xD

And of course it will IMPROVE!!!
Feb 3, 2012 3:03 PM
Dec 2007
Far better than the OVA at least and the action scenes were really great (and the Hatsune Miku ED of course, I love this music).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Feb 3, 2012 3:23 PM

Oct 2011
The episode and animation wasn't that bad but I also hate the new character designs.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2012 3:53 PM
Oct 2010
Its too late to complain. Since the ova aired ages ago and first episode already up...

But is it impossible to utilise themes such as friendship, inner conflict etc, with the "other world" characters, instead of showing schoolgirls?
Maybe it'll ruin the stoic and Psychological aspect of that world, but i dont think you can't see them as real characters. Look what they did with the game/manga.

Maybe I'm butthurt about seeing a interesting character concept with alot of potential, turned into only what I think it is, a representation of a schoolgirl's feelings. ugh
pahwFeb 3, 2012 4:13 PM
Feb 3, 2012 4:00 PM

Feb 2008
That's what you get from a director who worked for KyoAni. It's their type of Slice of Life. If you like KyoAni's Slice of Life anime, then you'll like this. Same atmosphere, same things happen. The only difference is the other world. Instead of everyone complaining, why don't people watch the abridged version if they hate the Slice of Life part of it?

Besides, it's the studios first project. It's natural that they don't make a masterpiece. They still need experience. But yet again, there are studios that stay forever bad (ex. ufotable).

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Feb 3, 2012 4:19 PM

May 2011
kinda meh right now, hoping it gets bettetr eventually
Feb 3, 2012 4:22 PM
Aug 2011
Don't get why this is getting bashed so harshly. Seemed decent enough to me. I guess some peoples expectations are just too high and too nit-picky.
Feb 3, 2012 4:35 PM
Oct 2010
I second Dr_Smurph
ZonpakutoFeb 3, 2012 4:41 PM
Feb 3, 2012 4:39 PM
Oct 2010
What is the point of watching any anime if ur just going to talk shit about thay make them for you'r enjoyment I though the OVA and the serie's as it is so far are good.
Feb 3, 2012 4:41 PM
Feb 2012
I was hoping for a bit more of plot, instead they change the style and add more slice of life.

I hate the new character designs, all of them with wide faces. Also, why does Yomi makes first contact with Mato? Isn't she supposed to be shy and timid? And now she and Deadmaster wear glasses...
Feb 3, 2012 4:55 PM

Jun 2009
Well other than those horribly drawn non-proportional characters, it wasn't as bad as i prepared myself for. Plot seems like it's gonna have some importance here unlike in OAV, and connections between characters from 'normal' world and 'other' world seem clearer already, so are their motives. Just gimme Black Gold Saw already.
Also this seiyuu cast is brillant, even if anime start to suck so bad it'd hurt i'll watch it for seiyuu.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Feb 3, 2012 4:57 PM
Jul 2018
So... the parallel world is a metaphor or is it connected like in Clannad?
Feb 3, 2012 5:06 PM

Feb 2009
I loved every minute. Too bad there'll only be 8 episodes. Seems like this anime will be made of pure win. Can't wait for the next few episodes. :)
Feb 3, 2012 5:21 PM

Aug 2011
I'm still not sure whether I like this or the OVA better. The TV series is off to a wholly average start. I feel like the characters sort of got downgraded in personality and design, and what the fuck is up with the girl in the wheelchair? Is she supposed to be creepy? She just came off as really autistic, no offence... So far, Thermae Romae deserves more screen time than this.
The OVA had awesome metal though, which this lacks so far.
I will see if it improves.
Feb 3, 2012 5:44 PM
Jul 2018

It was okay.....the BRS sequences were pretty to look at

Still doesn't make a lick of goddamn sense though and Kagari looks stoned in some of her scenes, dem droopy eyes.

Are people seriously upset they put a wedding veil over Dead Master or had BRS having the hoodie over her head in this episode. . . .Black Gold Saw looks the same according to the ED and we see the trademark BRS in the ED too.
removed-userFeb 3, 2012 5:57 PM
Feb 3, 2012 5:47 PM

Mar 2011
:'D
Feb 3, 2012 5:54 PM

Aug 2008
SUPERCELLL! I FREAKING LOVE THE INSERT SONG
hatsune miku one is...meh, was never really a fan of her...

Just like the OVA, I still don't understand the parallel world...
Feb 3, 2012 6:52 PM

Jun 2011
Well that honestly felt rushed as heck, but what can you do when the series is just gonna be 8 episodes?
Not the best start in the world, but I'll continue watching.
Feb 3, 2012 8:38 PM

Aug 2010
Let's see where this goes.
Feb 3, 2012 8:46 PM

Oct 2011
I think this is a lot better than the OVA already. The insert song made it a good pilot(made me feel just a bit emotional lol). Of course, the ED is also epic(OVA is based on it lol, plus Hatsune Miku ftw).
First episode is somewhat rushed, and it's a little more slice of life, but it looks like the story might open up a bit more later on. Plus the new character designs are worse(maybe they're budgeting... after all it's an 8-episode anime, not an OVA).
I'm curious about Yomi and Kagari's relationship.
KefkirothFeb 3, 2012 8:54 PM
Feb 3, 2012 8:51 PM

Jul 2009
This episode vs. the OVA

Pros:
- Animation appears somewhat cleaner
- Eri Kitamura

Cons:
- Character designs = no me gusta
- RUSHED AS FUCK DIRECTION

Neutral:
- Music was kickass, as expected of ryo, though I'm personally not partial to vocaloids (but it's still pretty cool that they used the original Black Rock Shooter song)
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Feb 3, 2012 9:06 PM

May 2010
What is happening with noitaminA? How they allowed to air this? It's not the worst anime ever, but for noitaminA's level, is bad.
SDragneelFeb 3, 2012 9:11 PM
Feb 3, 2012 9:08 PM

Nov 2009
I found it meh to be honest, I'd like to enjoy it though as I liked the OVA.

Just didnt buy into the characters at all =/
Feb 3, 2012 9:25 PM

May 2010
Too fucking long version:

Alright, Black Rock Shooter.

Well, first it had a piece of shit OVA. Nice art, characters were meh, great sound, the script, I didn't realize I was watching some melodramatic "Daily Life of Junior High Girls." Left a bitter taste in my mouth, but when I heard the announcement for the anime, I was going to watch it.

I actually thought, hm, maybe because it will be an actual anime it will have time to develop a plot and improve itself, much like Mirai Nikki which I still think is shit compared to the manga, but that's another story.

So this anime. The battle scenes and alternate world art was completely breathtaking. The color scheme and the sound were completely on par. The characters, have about as much personality as shoe leather.

Why the fuck are people praising the opening? If I wanted to listen to shitty auto-tuned Hatsune Miku shit, I could just look up half of the American pop artists that come on the radio.

And lol, the daily high school switch the art was so horrid, I literally started laughing and beating my head against my keyboard saying, "Why in the fuck would I torture myself like this?" And the script, I could almost cry at how fucking awful it was.

Nevertheless, I am a masochist, so I'll probably torture myself and watch everyone minute of this piece of shit. I mean for god sake, LUCKY STAR has more god damn plot than this.

Short Version:

Went from "Daily Life of Junior High Girls" to "Daily Life of Bullied Junior High Girls."

BRS, you will be the slow and painful death of me.
Feb 3, 2012 10:05 PM

Apr 2010
So...is this worth my time? I can't tell if this was any good or if it'll get better. I also can't tell which people have legitimate criticisms since it seems like people were expecting something different? I'm not familiar with the OVA/song/franchise/idon'tevenknow this show is based on.

Guess I'll just watch Cat Soup instead.
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Feb 3, 2012 10:33 PM

Oct 2009
On another note, BRS is so weak...

Feb 3, 2012 11:25 PM
Aug 2010
I can't complain and say it wasn't entertaining..
I personally wasn't a fan of the OVA though, so I'm not comparing it.

But damn, BRS got her ass kicked.
Feb 3, 2012 11:31 PM

Aug 2011
I actually preferred the almost everythin in the ova compared to this...
It was a good episode.
Im not a fan of the type of animation the used...it plainly doesnt look good.
I really liked the animation in the OVA
Feb 3, 2012 11:51 PM

Aug 2009
Haters gonna hate.

Nice episode, but the animation is really bad. Mato looks so derpy...
Feb 4, 2012 12:06 AM

Jul 2010
salamander_natsu said:
What is happening with noitaminA? How they allowed to air this? It's not the worst anime ever, but for noitaminA's level, is bad.

what about Guilty Crown? derp.
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Feb 4, 2012 12:28 AM
Apr 2011
I find this episode enjoyable. It would be interesting to see how the story would take off from here and how it relates to the Black Rock Shooter franchise.
Feb 4, 2012 12:35 AM

Jun 2011
Meh. DM looked like shit, but other than I don't think it was bad.
Feb 4, 2012 12:42 AM

May 2008
Overall response for the first impression sounds a little mix, but it looks like it's more on the positive over the negative. Thinking of whether I should start giving it a try or wait until it finishes airing.
Feb 4, 2012 1:16 AM

Mar 2011
Vento said:

Hmm I disagree she just got her as kicked simply beacause DM caught her by suprise.

Also I wonder what people were expecting, some sort of intellectual anime? It was obvious from the start that this wasnt going to be that sort of anime so I dont understand all the complaining. What this episode attemtepted to do was introducing the characters and it did that just fine and before saying this anime has no story you guys could actually wait for some more episodes to see if it actually has no story and even if it ends up being that way that wouldnt exactly make it the worst anime ever like some people here are pretending this to be, Im sure there are quite a few slice of life anime with very little story with a high rating on MAL.

Black rock shooter is simply attempting to be a slice of life/ shoujo ai anime with some action scenes and for now it has done a decent enough job considering what its trying to be.
Raziel1991Feb 4, 2012 3:40 AM
Feb 4, 2012 3:14 AM

Oct 2011
Overall nice, but it was he ending that made the entire episode good for me ;p

Feb 4, 2012 3:18 AM
Jun 2008
Well ,I really like the "other dimension " scene.It is a very nice metaphor of the situation in the original world.I never seen such work directed as such, I guess this is the reason why I love it when I first watched the OVA ^.^.

Oh.. and did I just heard MIKU singing for the ed song? !!! omg, her voice rocks >,<!!
Feb 4, 2012 3:21 AM
Dec 2011
Raziel1991 said:
Vento said:

Hmm I disagree she just got her as kicked simply beacause DM caught her by suprise.

Also I wonder what people were expecting, some sort of intellectual anime? It was obvious from the start that this wasnt going to be that sort of anime so I dont understand all the complaining. What this episode attemtepted to do was introducing the characters and it did that just fine and before saying this anime has no story you guys could actually wait for some more episodes to see if it is actually true and even if it ends up being that way that wouldnt exactly make it the worst anime ever like some people here are pretending this to be, Im sure there are quite a few slice of life anime with very little story with a high rating on MAL.

Black rock shooter is simply attempting to be a slice of life/ shoujo ai anime with some action scenes and for now it has done a decent enough job considering what its trying to be.

i could be wrong but i think black rock shooter is the personification of Kuroi's subconcious. The reason she got her ass kicked is because she suffered psychological trauma from Kagari

this anime seems like a watered down version of mahou shoujo madoka
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Mar 22, 2012

323 by removed-user »»
Jan 12, 4:57 AM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Feb 23, 2012

239 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Oct 7, 2023 4:00 PM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

245 by Spicelit »»
Nov 29, 2022 11:11 PM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Mar 15, 2012

149 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 3, 2022 6:21 AM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Mar 8, 2012

191 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 3, 2022 5:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.