Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 24, 2016 8:22 PM

May 2014
Such a cute movie :3 Gives me that nostalgic and cozy feel like with Totoro, although I liked Totoro more.

M00ner said:
Mich666 said:

There you go, clear answer:
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/kiki/faq.html
(tl;dr: It has to do with her growing up and getting independent. Her (childhood) powers were lost due to losing her ideals (e.g. with her first disillusion she lost her trust in herself) and her (adult) powers were regained as she was working towards the goal she believed in (saving someone important to her). Jiji will never talk to her again as she doesn't need his guidance anymore.

Thanks for the link and info. It answered all of my questions! =)

But damn. It's sad that Jiji can't talk anymore. =(

Interestingly, Miyazaki chose to edit out Jiji's final line in the newer release. Originally, Jiji can talk again once Kiki gets her powers back, but now Jiji stays a normal cat. I agree that it has to do with growing up, but I think maybe Kiki was subconsciously giving Jiji the ability to talk with her magic because she was lonely. Now that she has her own friends and life, she isn't doing that anymore, so Jiji went back to being a normal cat. Kids will like the original ending, but I think the newer ending is smarter :)
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
May 16, 2016 12:57 PM

Jan 2013
Unlike Phenomanan I actually liked this film more, Totoro had some great scenes but Kiki was amazing from start to end.
Shame Jiji wont talk anymore, love how caring he was for her, he still is ... but without the voice ^^

Anyhow, this was a very warm and comforting film.

10/10
Sep 14, 2016 5:09 AM

May 2014
Wow this is a great movie , its a shame that I just only watch it today
The lessons we can get can help us in our life
I will give it 8/10
I was amazed of the animation even though it was produce in 1989
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2016 5:19 PM
Jan 2016
I saw this movie not too long ago and it really gripped my heart through its fun
storytelling. Really adorable film that's bound to make somebody smile somewhere.
Dec 27, 2016 9:00 PM

Oct 2016
This was really very good. The stortline regarding how Kiki falls into problems and come out of it seems so much realistic . I give 9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 3, 2017 10:18 PM

Aug 2007
This is probably one of my least favorite Miyazaki movies. A very unpopular opinion, but I just think this movie is average compared to his other works.

I personally love Jiji (with Phil Hartman's voice). I completely understand the intentions of him not speaking at the end but for some reason every time I watch this film, the idea of Kiki not being able to talk to Jiji kills it for me. I'm also not a fan of Kiki's approach to Tombo -- It seems like she has trouble processing negative emotions throughout the whole movie. I know it's to show she still needs growth in all aspects of her life, but I just find it a tad aggravating.

5/10

Apr 6, 2017 3:45 PM

May 2015
I don't know why, but I found this movie so uninteresting. It looks like it didn't fit my taste at all.

5/10. Music and art are + for sure.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 10, 2017 12:01 AM

May 2010
I watched it subbed. Pretty good. I may be being generous and I may reconsider later, but I gave it an 8.
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
May 17, 2017 12:23 PM

Apr 2017
Underrated movie. One of Miyazakis very best. Masterpiece.
Jun 11, 2017 6:00 AM
Jan 2015
I watched it dub and i liked it .
I don't understand why people are badmouthing dub . Ofcourse , if you watch sub first and then dub , you would not like it .
Jul 23, 2017 3:28 PM

Apr 2015
Saw the GKIDS screening today with my mom. Really liked it overall. It has the same whimsical sense of childhood/joy that Totoro does while also adding a bit more peril.

I really liked the scene where Kiki and Ursula talked about what could be keeping Kiki from flying and Ursula compared it to her artist's block. I also liked that it emphasized that taking a break is okay sometimes and you shouldn't try to force things.

The only thing that's keeping my score at an 8/the movie out of my top 10 is the fact that the ending wasn't really a proper resolution. Does Kiki get over her crippling social anxiety and get accepted with the other kids? Is her specialty really...delivery?

Oh, and I know Miyazaki/the original author had a proper reason for Jiji still not being able to talk at the end, but...fuck that bullshit. Jiji was best girl cat. R.I.P. Phil Hartman. I'm going to go out of my way to look for the release that has him say a line at the end in the English dub.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 18, 2017 5:24 PM

Jul 2015
Watch it last night. Simple is the best, the term that I always love when it's implemented well. Kiki's Delivery Service is success at portraying how Kiki's grown up through her independent time. This movie didn't bore me up, the story is more dynamic, thou it is just a daily life of Kiki and Jiji.

Also, we could see how mature Kiki's become from time to time. Hardship, struggle, and love all helped Kiki to grow up to be a fine person. All in all, I give it a solid 8/10.
Sep 30, 2017 2:30 PM

Dec 2016
A truly beautiful, funny, nice, and heartwarming film. Truly a Ghibli classic!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 23, 2017 4:05 PM

Oct 2013
Expected so much from the trailer and the cover but really disappointed
Feb 15, 2018 12:42 PM

May 2016
Loved every second of it a truly beautiful movie and this was sadly the last episode of Ghibli movies that I haven't watched but hey at least Hayao Miyazaki last movie is in progress now. 8/10
Feb 17, 2018 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
Relaxing movie that reminds me of the Flying Witch anime. There is not only goodness, but everyday life, even with sad days; this is what I really appreciated. The backgrounds are magnificent, who knows from which city they were taken, always if it exists in reality. Question, does anyone know anything about it? Thanks in advance.

8/10
Feb 19, 2018 9:50 AM

Apr 2017
terrablu2003 said:
The backgrounds are magnificent, who knows from which city they were taken, always if it exists in reality. Question, does anyone know anything about it? Thanks in advance.

During the production phase, Hayao Miyazaki and his artists traveled to Sweden to research for the film. The photographs they took of Stockholm and Visby, formed the basis of the fictional city of Koriko. The city also contains elements of Lisbon, Paris, San Francisco, and Milan.

The street name signs in the city have been copied from those used in Stockholm, down to using the names (or parts of names) of existing Stockholm streets and squares in at least two scenes, including "Klara Norra Ky" taken from Klara Norra Kyrkogata (Northern Klara Church Street).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097814/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2
Feb 19, 2018 11:22 AM

Nov 2011
zodd0 said:
terrablu2003 said:
The backgrounds are magnificent, who knows from which city they were taken, always if it exists in reality. Question, does anyone know anything about it? Thanks in advance.

During the production phase, Hayao Miyazaki and his artists traveled to Sweden to research for the film. The photographs they took of Stockholm and Visby, formed the basis of the fictional city of Koriko. The city also contains elements of Lisbon, Paris, San Francisco, and Milan.

The street name signs in the city have been copied from those used in Stockholm, down to using the names (or parts of names) of existing Stockholm streets and squares in at least two scenes, including "Klara Norra Ky" taken from Klara Norra Kyrkogata (Northern Klara Church Street).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097814/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2

Many thanks for the information, so there is not just one place to visit. I will try to discover at least the places taken in the city of Milan for now.
May 2, 2018 2:13 PM
Aug 2017
What's with Tombo looking exactly like Wally from Where's Wally? It's almost like they're the same character xd

Speaking of Tombo, did anyone else notice that both Kiki's dad and Tombo are goofy and kind guys with glasses? I think it was a hint that Kiki will marry him just the way her mom married someone similar.

The art was so beautiful, especially in 89 standarts. The city was like a mix of Istanbul and some cities in Italy. Of course Istanbul isn't much of an amazing city like it used to be due to overpopulation but it still reminded me of it a little.

I also really liked Jiji but his name kinda confuses me. Isn't jiji a slang for "old man" in Japanese? Maybe it's pronounced a bit different, I'm not sure. Overall it was a nice movie with a nice message. Sometimes you feel down and you somehow don't have that motivation you usually have, those things can just happen for no appearant reason and they'll be temporary if you don't let it drain your hope.

Oh, and I think Jiji WAS able to talk to Kiki again once she got her powers back. It wasn't a coincidence that she realized her powers were gone just after she realized Jiji wasn't talking to her anymore. In fact him not talking to her is what made her go "wait, am I losing my flying ability?" in the first place. So yeah, their communication most likely went back to normal once she started flying again.
Adafeloz11May 2, 2018 2:24 PM
Aug 8, 2018 3:52 AM

Dec 2015
That was incredibly boring. I barely watched the first half before the boredom started to turn into irritation. Dropped.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 10, 2018 7:41 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Kiki

do you love me?

Are you riding?

Say you'll never ever leave from beside me

Cause I want ya

and I need ya

And I'm down for you always
Dec 27, 2018 2:52 PM

Sep 2011
Truly a timeless classic, one I would recommend to anyone. I was moved all over again by it.

The town Kiki chose wasn't welcoming at first, and disheartened she almost went to another one, but she was lucky enough to run into the kind Osono, and her hot, silent husband who loves cats. They were such a warm family, and they received her with open arms! Tombo, and Ursula were great too, just like that gentle old lady, and Bertha. Kiki was really fortunate with her meetings, she truly made that town her home, and I love it! Jiji is also really cute.
Apr 12, 2019 7:50 AM

Oct 2012
I watched this once I was a brat
Watching this again made me "D'awww"
Also who put onions everywhere? Damn those onion ninjas
Made me feel like a brat again

The ending is way too exaggerated, Kiki saved Tombo and everyone was like happy
They celebrate it like nothing dangerous happening
The airballoon is still there and it's dangerous :P

Kinda wish it was longer
I want more of these character and how they progress
"Signature removed"
May 17, 2019 7:56 AM
Jan 2019
A beautiful movie with a happy ending 😀. It's fun and very entertaining. I loved the story and the characters.
I think it would have been a good idea to produce an anime series about this story, especially for children, I think it would have been successful. Well, it was a pleasant experience to see another movie from Studio Ghibli. NEXT!
May 25, 2019 9:42 AM

Sep 2018
Perhaps this film sins in not having much brio, but not in sympathy, good the magic component, even if little, although there are references to the world of witches. It is not very engaging perhaps because of the narrative rhythm which is very bland and one almost falls asleep watching it, but to keep alive the attention there are the magnificent backgrounds that portray a truly splendid city in its foreshortenings, a bit like it happens in " Aria the Animation ". The issues addressed are serious: independence, dealing with different realities from those of one's place of birth, the relationship with others. All reasons that have a commonality with young people. Excellent scenographic designs and effects, as expected from Studio Ghibli. Hayao Miyazaki's hand feels feeble. Fantasy is less pronounced than in the previous film "Totoro". A curiosity that is noted in "Totoro" and this film, is that in both appear plants of purple Iris and not, what a strange coincidence, don't you think?

8/10
Dec 2, 2019 11:36 AM
Jan 2018
It's a pretty nice of age story . At the end of the movie it the Japan version anyway it has jinji not talking showing that Kiki has grown and has confidence in herself and doesn't need her other self
Feb 14, 2020 7:25 AM

Jan 2012
This movie is very enjoyable. Kiki's character becomes likable from the very beginning of the movie. The animation is beautiful especially the shots of the city is done with so much care and detail. 9/10 from me.
Mar 2, 2020 8:00 PM
Jul 2018
This was my first Ghibli movie to sit back, relax, and watch in my leisure. I highly enjoyed it. It was presented in such a simple, cute way for the kid audience. A peaceful movie about finding oneself and becoming independent. Fitting for a family alone time. It is quite unfortunate that Kiki and her cat will never form a vocal communication with one another. Although the movie wasn't supposed to be tragic or anything of the sort, it still radiates this feeling of sadness, for me at least. A great movie, I must say.
Mar 9, 2020 12:05 AM
Nov 2015
watching it as a soon-to-be 27-year-old truly was a completely different experience from when i was a boy and a teenager. the ending song truly captures the message of the movie. it's truly moving. not to mention the details on the animations & the backgrounds. what an amazing movie.

i recommend this movie to any idealist & gentle heart out there. life sucks but you don't have to be. don't ever ever ever lose your heart.
Apr 9, 2020 3:05 PM

Sep 2017
5th movie of my Studio Ghibli marathon , while the plot was a bit bland the setting was cool , the pacing reallg well done and the visuals were incredible for an 1989 movie , it looks better than some series airing in recent days : 8.5/10
yikes
May 22, 2020 4:11 AM

Feb 2015
This is it, this has to the ultimate Ghibli (or I would just say only Hayao's best, since Isao Takahata is another level) film. It's a good allegory to debilitating labor conditions the working class suffers from but it takes it more light-heartedly. The romanticization of child labor is quite weird if you think about it, but Hayao tends to cast young girls for a reason, to cater younger audiences.
JomsMay 22, 2020 4:24 AM
Jun 29, 2020 5:10 PM

Jan 2012
Oof! Damn, very first post took a dump on the late, great Phil Hartman without knowing his unfortunate circumstances, I hope and assume. That sucks, wish I hadn't read that comment.

But uh yeah, this was one of the few Ghibli movies I somehow never watched until today. And as you'd expect it was very good. That atmosphere man, Miyazaki almost makes it look effortless. 2nd Ghibli film I watched today and 2nd time I got teary eyed. Solid 8/10.
Jul 2, 2020 7:26 PM

Mar 2016
great movie! i really enjoyed it <3

Jul 7, 2020 2:38 PM
Jul 2013
I loved every minute of it. The only thing I can pick at is, it could use more background music. And English subs left some things out.
Jul 11, 2020 5:04 PM

Apr 2018
Not a big Ghibli movie fan but really love this movie .
Probably my favorite movie along with Princess Monoanoke

The best part about this movie is definitely the realistic SOL parts they execute it really well imo and also the main character Kiki was adorable and great character. I didn't felt bored throughout the movie unlike My neighborhood Totoro
Overall,8/10
Sep 6, 2020 2:08 PM

Aug 2018
Another fantastic Miyazaki film that has super beautiful artstyle for 1989. I did not watch the dub so I never expierenced some of the problems few mentioned here.

As for the movie. It is amazing , the way I feel nostalgia even tho Its my first time seeing it is quite fantastic. I think this film fully showed me why Miyazaki is perfectionist when it comes to animation art part. The way you can see reflections on windows during all the scenes, highly detailed parts of city and amazing broom flying scenes just show this mans strive for perfection in animation. As for the characters and plot , I don’t wanna talk about them because everyone should decide how good it was for themselves.

Overall this is a very awesome and memorable film , I think it stands very strong compared to older Ghibli films and deserves 9.1/10 rating
Oct 21, 2020 9:29 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Wasn't much of an Plot movie but still enjoyable. Still nice to watch

Nov 16, 2020 8:53 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
A very nice and simple movie. It reminds me of a Disney movie without all the animals dying in it that Disney seems to do. The art was pleasantly colored and drawn. Just a very calm and nice movie to sit back and watch. 8/10
Dec 15, 2020 4:08 PM

Aug 2016
finally! a Miyazaki movie that doesnt suck.

MichaelJacksonDec 15, 2020 6:28 PM
:v
Jan 1, 2021 7:26 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It was very lovely, especially for the characters and the art, I loved the backgrounds/the city to be honest
Jan 31, 2021 8:42 PM

Feb 2020
This is as of now my least favorite ghibli film ( I have not watched all ghibli film yet)
It was ok overall, enjoyable but still average. few problems were It felt like movie was empty (a haunting feeling of something is missing in the plot) and the entire losing the magic thing feels out of order in the story without explanation/built-up. Plus it's very cartoonish at times but don't outright show it .

Also did I see a little girl who looked like younger version of Mary Smith from Mary and the witch flower??
AdampkFeb 1, 2021 6:13 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 20, 2021 8:29 PM
Mar 2021
i personllly lost myself in the last half of the film, the first half was a great introduction to kiki and chichi, but the second half didnt really like the story that it was in the beginning in my opinon
Apr 19, 2021 10:01 AM

Nov 2016
So I just finished rewatching this one on Netflix and I found the ending a bit strange as it felt oddly adrupt, like the movie was missing a scene or something. I came here to check the runtime and it matched with the runtime on Netflix so there was nothing wrong with the movie itself. Did anyone else have similiar thoughts on the ending, it left me a bit unsatisfied.
Apr 21, 2021 5:12 PM

May 2019
Uksi said:
So I just finished rewatching this one on Netflix and I found the ending a bit strange as it felt oddly adrupt, like the movie was missing a scene or something. I came here to check the runtime and it matched with the runtime on Netflix so there was nothing wrong with the movie itself. Did anyone else have similiar thoughts on the ending, it left me a bit unsatisfied.

I watched this 10 years ago and now again on Netflix.

I've forgot most, and maybe first time the subs were very trash because i was confuse about why the cat become a regular cat, and now it was clear involving, as she says straightly, her magic becoming weak, or interpreting the movie, her lack of confidence, self-disapointment, maturity etc.

But the movie on Netflix seems complete, without cuts or anything wrong. It is typical Ghibli with prologue, lots of slice of life, one action sequence in the climax, and the end without a proper epilogue.

Miyazaki movies almost never show in normal pace what happens after the climax. This movie for example, we just had some short scenes of her doing well her job and becoming popular in the city. Watch Totoro, Mononoke, Sp. Away, Moving Castle, all them are even worse in this point.
Rob7Apr 21, 2021 5:16 PM
Apr 23, 2021 6:42 AM

Nov 2016
Rob7 said:
Uksi said:

I watched this 10 years ago and now again on Netflix.

I've forgot most, and maybe first time the subs were very trash because i was confuse about why the cat become a regular cat, and now it was clear involving, as she says straightly, her magic becoming weak, or interpreting the movie, her lack of confidence, self-disapointment, maturity etc.

But the movie on Netflix seems complete, without cuts or anything wrong. It is typical Ghibli with prologue, lots of slice of life, one action sequence in the climax, and the end without a proper epilogue.

Miyazaki movies almost never show in normal pace what happens after the climax. This movie for example, we just had some short scenes of her doing well her job and becoming popular in the city. Watch Totoro, Mononoke, Sp. Away, Moving Castle, all them are even worse in this point.

Thanks for the reply, I definitely wasn't expecting a reply this soon or a reply at all on an over a decade old forum thread. Now that you mentioned it, it's definitely true that Miyazaki movies don't tend to have proper epilogues that are common in movies. But for some reason I feel like that the other movies you listed feel like they end the way they should. But in the end it's only my personal opinion, I assume I was just expecting a different conclusion for the movie than the director and the straight cut from the ending scene to the credits was a bit abrupt and therefore left me feeling a bit confused.
Oct 12, 2021 10:43 AM
Jan 2021
I really liked that anime movie because it was a relaxed and funny movie.
It is a 8/10 because the end is a bit rushed. But I would watch it again.
Now I am going to watch more gibli movies 😁
Oct 21, 2021 1:54 PM

Apr 2017
SandraEis said:
I really liked that anime movie because it was a relaxed and funny movie.
It is a 8/10 because the end is a bit rushed. But I would watch it again.
Now I am going to watch more gibli movies 😁

Be sure not to miss Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle or Grave of the Fireflies. 😄
Oct 28, 2021 6:32 AM

Feb 2014
Just watched it again bc I'm gonna be Kiki for Halloween this year :D

This really is a great movie! It's really fun, and I especially love the part where Jiji has to pretend to be a toy. Lol I love how snarky Jiji is. This was my first time watching the subs and damn his voice is REALLY different from the dub O_o I like both though. It was also really cute how the pancake mix said “Ghibli Pancakes” on it xD

Had it as an 8 but I might raise it to a 9!
Oct 29, 2021 6:43 PM

Aug 2020
had a very good start but it became okay in the ending imo, I still liked the story tho

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Dec 30, 2021 9:53 AM

Aug 2021
Simply a great movie on her able to become independent at a young age....Was a wholesome movie probably the most wholesome one after Totoro
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Have you grown up watching Ghibli movies?

Reckless_weeb - Jun 12, 2022

32 by Zombunny343 »»
Aug 28, 2022 1:57 PM

» Moral of the story?

QueenModdy - Jun 13, 2011

8 by HibiChika »»
Jan 19, 2022 12:44 PM

» About the cat.

Sonata - Mar 28, 2016

8 by Rob7 »»
Apr 21, 2021 5:02 PM

» Kiki's Delivery Service ---> Amazon Drone Delivery

J_LEE_C - Mar 29, 2018

13 by LIQfilms »»
Mar 30, 2018 1:02 PM

» Looking for subbed?

Godel - Jul 16, 2008

8 by Setsuna200 »»
Dec 28, 2012 6:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.